PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV X-Men Origins: Wolverine.......

Tribal Warfare
05-01-2009, 01:28 AM
It was awesome till the last 15 minutes, and I won't give it away. Though overall it was damn good until the last 15 like I retorted before

Silock
05-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Not the best comic book movie ever made, but far from the worst.

B+

KCChiefsMan
05-01-2009, 01:42 AM
good to hear, some of the trailers had me worried

oaklandhater
05-01-2009, 05:43 AM
I hatd this movie so so so much what a complete bastardization of wolverine.

Fish
05-01-2009, 09:47 AM
I was a little underwhelmed. Not terrible, but could have been much much better. They need to make these 2.5 hours or so to really do the necessary character development. They try to cram too much shit into 1.5 hrs.

Sure-Oz
05-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Im a fan of wolverines so im sure ill like it

Valiant
05-01-2009, 02:22 PM
It was good, but irritated me a lot with cannon issues and the really bad cgi in certain instances..

kysirsoze
05-01-2009, 03:43 PM
I cannot believe what I'm reading. Did you guys see the same movie?? That was a joke!

Not the worst comic book movie ever. Elecktra, Ghost Rider, and Blade 3 were worse. That's about it. I won't spoil anything, but rest assured that if you read comics, like any of the characters, and appreciate decent film storytelling, you will not like this movie. Honestly, the last one is all that is necessary to dislike the film. All three combined will make you want to punck Gavin Hood in the dick.

I laughed out loud within the first 5 minutes. Right about the last 15 minutes, though. It managed to get worse. I can't decide if this was worse or better than X-3. X-3 was probably slightly better, but I had hoped it would be great. Luckily, I went into Wolverine with extremely low expectations.

The only upside is the charisma of Hugh Jackman, although as far as the character in the comic goes, he's far from an ideal casting. (And Lyn Collins was hot)

Tribal Warfare
05-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Icomics, like any of the characters, and appreciate

If you are whining about the bone claws then read the graphic novel that is called origins which is about Wolverine and the background that took place. With Creed being who he is just remember what the creator orginally wanted. Like I said the last 15 minutes of the moviewas lame

Nightwish
05-01-2009, 07:44 PM
I won't spoil anything, but rest assured that if you read comics, like any of the characters, and appreciate decent film storytelling, you will not like this movie.
I read comics, like the characters and appreciate decent film storytelling, and rest assured, I quite enjoyed the film. So much for that prediction. If you let yourself get stuck in the canon rut, you'll find it hard to enjoy much of anything.

I can't decide if this was worse or better than X-3. X-3 was probably slightly better
I consider it better than X3 by a considerable margin. X3 was absolutely terrible.

irishjayhawk
05-01-2009, 07:46 PM
I cannot believe what I'm reading. Did you guys see the same movie?? That was a joke!

Not the worst comic book movie ever. Elecktra, Ghost Rider, and Blade 3 were worse. That's about it. I won't spoil anything, but rest assured that if you read comics, like any of the characters, and appreciate decent film storytelling, you will not like this movie. Honestly, the last one is all that is necessary to dislike the film. All three combined will make you want to punck Gavin Hood in the dick.

I laughed out loud within the first 5 minutes. Right about the last 15 minutes, though. It managed to get worse. I can't decide if this was worse or better than X-3. X-3 was probably slightly better, but I had hoped it would be great. Luckily, I went into Wolverine with extremely low expectations.

The only upside is the charisma of Hugh Jackman, although as far as the character in the comic goes, he's far from an ideal casting. (And Lyn Collins was hot)

I have a hard time believing it was worse than X3. A very hard time.

Nightwish
05-01-2009, 07:48 PM
It's not. It's quite a bit better than X3. You'll have to form your own opinion, but if I were you, I'd take kysirsoze's review with a grain of salt.

KC Dan
05-01-2009, 10:42 PM
It was awesome till the last 15 minutes, and I won't give it away. Though overall it was damn good until the last 15 like I retorted before
Agreed! My take exactly. Though maybe the last 5 min not 15 min.

bango
05-02-2009, 12:38 AM
I liked it. I would like to have been able to see some more done with Deadpool and Gambit. It did not live up to the hype like TDK and the Watchmen did. It was still worth seeing and a good movie.

kysirsoze
05-02-2009, 02:25 AM
If you are whining about the bone claws then read the graphic novel that is called origins which is about Wolverine and the background that took place. With Creed being who he is just remember what the creator orginally wanted. Like I said the last 15 minutes of the moviewas lame

Dude, I know he has bone claws. And I have read Origin. And Weapon X, and Origins, etc. That was no problem.

I have little problem with breaking canon. But betraying the foundation of what the characters are meant to be is something else. I greatly enjoyed X-men 1 and 2 which threw canon out the window.

Don't take my word for it. Look at reviews across the internet, both professional and amateur and it is a pretty clear picture. As of yet, any positive reviews have been along the lines of, "It's mindless, but who cares? It's only a comic book movie!" If this is your approach I can't help you. I am too biased to give you a useful review.
This movie's mainly a series of pissing contests between cardboard cutouts. It's as if two 7th graders stayed up all night in their treehouse playing with action figures and decided to write a movie. Then Fox gave them millions to produce it.

OK OK...I am clearly overstating it. But there is a lot of potential for a great story here, and they couldn't have missed much more than they did. Bottom line though I just thought it was a stupid movie. I could try to figure out which was worse, X3 or this, but that would be splitting hairs. Neither is worth the movie-going public's time IMO.

No disrespect to people who liked it. You obviously have every right. I just hope if they follow through on the implied promise of a sequel ("Origins") that they try to get a little closer to the mark.

Nightwish
05-02-2009, 03:44 AM
But betraying the foundation of what the characters are meant to be is something else.
They didn't betray the foundation of what the characters are meant to be. Both Wolverine and Sabretooth were pretty much depicted exactly as they were meant to be, exactly as they've always been portrayed in the comics. The quasi-familial twist was a departure from canon, obviously, but it didn't betray the fundamental character of either one. Now if you want an example of departure from canon that resulted in complete butchery of key characters, watch "Queen of the Damned," because you'll find it in abundance there. You won't find it in Wolverine, unless you invent it there.

Now, having said that, I do wish they had spent more time developing the early background of the two boys back in 1800s, and explained a bit more about the family details - were James and Victor half brothers or full brothers? Was Mrs. Logan James' real mother, or was he adopted? If he was adopted, why wasn't he raised by the Creeds? How did the locals treat them when they were discovered as mutants? That kind of stuff.

kysirsoze
05-02-2009, 01:06 PM
I have no intention of watching Queen of the Damned.;)

Tribal Warfare
05-03-2009, 02:26 AM
Now, having said that, I do wish they had spent more time developing the early background of the two boys back in 1800s, and explained a bit more about the family details - were James and Victor half brothers or full brothers? Was Mrs. Logan James' real mother, or was he adopted? If he was adopted, why wasn't he raised by the Creeds? How did the locals treat them when they were discovered as mutants? That kind of stuff.

They edited that stuff out, because the end result in one treatment was that Wolverine as a kid beat the shit out of the kids picking on him( it was hardcore violence from what I heard which would make the movie tagged with a "R" rating) which in turn activated his powers.

Mosbonian
05-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Wow...a lot of negativity for a movie that pulled in $87 million in the first weekend. The acid test for this movie will be it's performance in the coming weeks going up against "Star Trek" , "Terminator:Salvation", "Night at the Museum:Battle of the Smithsonian" and "Angels & Demons".

FWIW, I always have low expectations for movies like these, so that when I go if and see a great movie I am pleasantly surprised, and if it's as bad as I expect, then i went for the eye candy.

mmaddog

Deberg_1990
05-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Wow...a lot of negativity for a movie that pulled in $87 million in the first weekend. The acid test for this movie will be it's performance in the coming weeks going up against "Star Trek" , "Terminator:Salvation", "Night at the Museum:Battle of the Smithsonian" and "Angels & Demons".

FWIW, I always have low expectations for movies like these, so that when I go if and see a great movie I am pleasantly surprised, and if it's as bad as I expect, then i went for the eye candy.

mmaddog

Most moviegoers are like Zombies. This was the first big summer movie and there was little competition. Everyone was primed to get out and see a big event movie no matter the quality.

Its going to die in the next few weeks when those other films open because the word of mouth is so bad.

kysirsoze
05-03-2009, 12:06 PM

First of all I haven't seen X3 since it first hit theaters so my memory is admittedly fuzzy. AND given some time to think about it I will say Wolverine was better than X3. But not by enough to make it good.

kysirsoze
05-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Most moviegoers are like Zombies. This was the first big summer movie and there was little competition. Everyone was primed to get out and see a big event movie no matter the quality.

Its going to die in the next few weeks when those other films open because the word of mouth is so bad.

This.

Gravedigger
05-03-2009, 12:10 PM

Yeah I think ever since this movie got leaked people knew what to expect, just because it had wires and not alot of special effects doesn't mean the story wasn't apparent from the get go. I think once Wolverine got leaked it made Star Trek the first summer movie to go see.

I saw the before version and haven't seen the final product so I know the story but I'd like to go see the final product, maybe a matinee where the tickets are only 5.00 at AMC or something.

I personally enjoyed Liev Shriber and Hugh Jackman in this movie, those were the two characters with any real depth. The chemistry they had seemed pretty genuine. For me it was the same as many, the first half of the movie was a pretty good origin story minus a few key moments they could've extended.

I'm not so much a Deadpool fan as I am a Gambit fan, but Deadpool wasn't even in this movie for very long to make me say "Why is Ryan Reynolds even in the credits so high up?" That I was kinda dissapointed and then the manner in which they brought him in seemed kind of like "That wasn't what deadpool was in the comics." It seemed like the first half was all Gavin Hood then the second half was Fox doing what they do to comic book movies, with lots of special effects, futzing with mutants powers, and bringing in almost soap opera like elements into what started to be a great comic book movie.

Gambit was a welcome character in this movie, and the guy who played him did a pretty good job, obviously there are better casting decisions out there but Taylor Kitsch did a really good job for being a relative unknown outside of Friday Night Lights watchers. The fight scene between him Wolverine and Sabertooth was the best out of the whole movie. I liked what I saw I just wish I could've seen more. A 2.5 hour movie, if filled in right, probably would've been a better contender for Star Trek and the other films this summer.

The last gripe I have with the movie, if it stayed from the leaked version, is the Adamantium bullets twist. Not to give anything away but this screamed out at me "Silver bullets are the only way to get the job done against vampires,werewolves, etc." kind of a 1920s horror film. After I saw those parts I was really hoping that the 15 minutes of reshoots they promised from the leaked version would have found a better, more believable way.

Gravedigger
05-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Oh and X3 was worse than this movie, I hated X3 with a passion because it was all about throwing movie plots in there that should'nt have been in there, aka the deaths of Cyclops and Xavier, then the cure, then rogue and magneto get the cure, and then in the end the cure proves to be temporary with magneto and the chess game. THEN we bring back Xavier in the end out of the blue to seal the deal that this movie was nothing but a huge waste of time.

The original Xmen movies made Cyclops look like an expendable pussy more than the leader of the xmen, and the fact that they killed him off in the first thirty minutes left a bad taste in my mouth that was just yeah... I hated it, hated it hated it. Sorry for the double post.

Psyko Tek
05-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Dude, I know he has bone claws. And I have read Origin. And Weapon X, and Origins, etc. That was no problem.

I have little problem with breaking canon. But betraying the foundation of what the characters are meant to be is something else. I greatly enjoyed X-men 1 and 2 which threw canon out the window.

Don't take my word for it. Look at reviews across the internet, both professional and amateur and it is a pretty clear picture. As of yet, any positive reviews have been along the lines of, "It's mindless, but who cares? It's only a comic book movie!" If this is your approach I can't help you. I am too biased to give you a useful review.
This movie's mainly a series of pissing contests between cardboard cutouts. It's as if two 7th graders stayed up all night in their treehouse playing with action figures and decided to write a movie. Then Fox gave them millions to produce it.

OK OK...I am clearly overstating it. But there is a lot of potential for a great story here, and they couldn't have missed much more than they did. Bottom line though I just thought it was a stupid movie. I could try to figure out which was worse, X3 or this, but that would be splitting hairs. Neither is worth the movie-going public's time IMO.

No disrespect to people who liked it. You obviously have every right. I just hope if they follow through on the implied promise of a sequel ("Origins") that they try to get a little closer to the mark.

I disagree in origin an affair between the farm hand the mother
and Iliked the idea of Creed and logan being related could explain a lot of their anamosity

that being said

II hated that wolvie finaaly got a backstory
I liked as an man with no past, whose history surfaced everyone in a while in strange ways

I did enjoy the movie,
but I like a lot of crappy movies

and the CGI did suck was better in xmen 1

Mosbonian
05-03-2009, 01:44 PM
First of all I haven't seen X3 since it first hit theaters so my memory is admittedly fuzzy. AND given some time to think about it I will say Wolverine was better than X3. But not by enough to make it good.

If you really want to test your boundaries of indulgence....XMen2 and XMen: The Last Stand are on FX back to back this evening.

mmaddog

beach tribe
05-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Kind of like the cartoon, Wolverine, and the X-men, I have to say that the popularity of Wolverine has caused newer writers of the story lines to betray who actually was. He is not a leader, or this character that he has become.

kysirsoze
05-03-2009, 02:40 PM
If you really want to test your boundaries of indulgence....XMen2 and XMen: The Last Stand are on FX back to back this evening.

mmaddog

:Lin:

Kind of like the cartoon, Wolverine, and the X-men, I have to say that the popularity of Wolverine has caused newer writers of the story lines to betray who actually was. He is not a leader, or this character that he has become.

Yeah, Jackman is a poor cast, though I think he is an excellent actor. Need someone smaller, gruffer, and less attractive.

Bowser
05-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I liked it, even more than I thought I would. I've drifted away from reading the X-Men comics, so I can't speak to the alltruistic of the movie relating to the comics, but I thought it was a decent film. Far, FAR better than the abortion that was X-Men3. (Someone needs to re-do that turd, and get the story of Dark Phoenix right. Hell, Bryan Singer even set it up beautifully with the image of the Phoenix flying underwater at the end of X2!)

TinyEvel
05-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Who wold win in a fight? Tarzan or Flash Gordon?

Portlantis
05-04-2009, 05:08 AM
Who wold win in a fight? Tarzan or Flash Gordon?

Flash Gordon, but only because he had a ray gun.

Sure-Oz
05-04-2009, 10:55 PM
I liked it, even more than I thought I would. I've drifted away from reading the X-Men comics, so I can't speak to the alltruistic of the movie relating to the comics, but I thought it was a decent film. Far, FAR better than the abortion that was X-Men3. (Someone needs to re-do that turd, and get the story of Dark Phoenix right. Hell, Bryan Singer even set it up beautifully with the image of the Phoenix flying underwater at the end of X2!)

X3 ruined alot for the x series, 1 and 2 just owned. 3 was, well, i dont know fucked up in every sense of the word

Tribal Warfare
05-04-2009, 11:06 PM
X3 ruined alot for the x series, 1 and 2 just owned. 3 was, well, i dont know fucked up in every sense of the word

If and when they do a Deadpool spinoff they better power him down and get rid of the abilities that weren't in the comic book.

Sure-Oz
05-04-2009, 11:11 PM
If and when they do a Deadpool spinoff they better power him down and get rid of the abilities that weren't in the comic book.

I have yet to see wolverine, but isnt deadpool supposd to wear a mask too?

Tribal Warfare
05-04-2009, 11:17 PM
I have yet to see wolverine, but isnt deadpool supposd to wear a mask too?

Oops sorry about that dude, I won't say anymore

:banghead:

Sure-Oz
05-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Oops sorry about that dude, I won't say anymore

:banghead:

Shit happens, i forgive you:thumb:

I'll still see it and hope to enjoy it