PDA

View Full Version : Music Dream Theater "Black Clouds & Silver Linings"

DMAC
05-01-2009, 07:50 PM
The first 2 songs are out...

Listening to A Nightmare To Remember

On First listen, this is ****ing awesome, really ****ing awesome.

:rockon:

http://www.dreamtheater.net/covers/bcsl_big.jpg

DMAC
05-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Rite of Passage is badass too.

chiefs1111
05-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Really looking forward to this album

DMAC
05-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Rite of Passage is badass too.
Here's the new video...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eQ3jVjtLDME&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eQ3jVjtLDME&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Reaper16
05-09-2009, 10:38 AM
"Nightmare" is pretty sweet, except for that part where Portnoy gets to do some really, really awful vocals. "Rite" is much less impressive to me.

chagrin
05-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Just got the recording - it is, by far, light years beyond that last one.

chagrin
05-19-2009, 06:24 PM
On "Wither" right now, it's about writer's block - and it's beautiful. This record is exactly what I needed this year, kick ass.

Reaper16
05-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Yeah, this is DT's best album since Scenes From a Memory. There are parts in each song that I dislike, and I really don't care for The Shattered Fortress because it has like two minutes of new material (the other 98% is recycled bits, I mean references, from the other songs in the AA cycle), but taken on the whole its a strong record. The Count of Tuscany, despite its terrible lyrics, is a sweet closing song. Wither is probably DT's best song in a long, long time.

Lzen
05-20-2009, 07:54 AM
I hate this. I have to wait until June 23 to listen to this album. They put Rite Of Passage on iTunes. I hate freakin' iTunes but I broke down and put it on my laptop the other day just so that I could download ROP. Now they have one of the songs from the cover songs disc on iTunes. It's Stargazer originally by Rainbow.

Oh, and the kicker is that I just discovered that I could have downloaded ROP from Amazon.com. :banghead:

DMAC
05-20-2009, 08:03 AM
I hate this. I have to wait until June 23 to listen to this album. They put Rite Of Passage on iTunes. I hate freakin' iTunes but I broke down and put it on my laptop the other day just so that I could download ROP. Now they have one of the songs from the cover songs disc on iTunes. It's Stargazer originally by Rainbow.

Oh, and the kicker is that I just discovered that I could have downloaded ROP from Amazon.com. :banghead:

One question...why?

Lzen
05-20-2009, 08:26 AM
One question...why?

Why what?

DMAC
05-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Why what?Why wait?

Lzen
05-20-2009, 09:48 AM
Why wait?

Could you be any more vague?

I mean, the obvious answer is that the album does not come out until June 23. Last album, I got a couple of songs early but they were not very good quality. And frankly, I don't know how I would go about getting the album now (if that is what you're suggesting). I don't do Limewire or Pirate Bay.

beach tribe
05-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Interesting. I've never really listened to these guys, which is strange because that's my kind of music. I'm going on Dream Theater marathon. Been listening to a lot of Bullet for my Valentine lately. I love the way they complement each other on guitar. Long live shredding.

Reaper16
05-20-2009, 10:26 AM

I mean, the obvious answer is that the album does not come out until June 23. Last album, I got a couple of songs early but they were not very good quality. And frankly, I don't know how I would go about getting the album now (if that is what you're suggesting). I don't do Limewire or Pirate Bay.
I can link you to a .rar file of the album. No torrents or P2P, just a straight download.

Interesting. I've never really listened to these guys, which is strange because that's my kind of music. I'm going on Dream Theater marathon. Been listening to a lot of Bullet for my Valentine lately. I love the way they complement each other on guitar. Long live shredding.
I'm sorry.

beach tribe
05-20-2009, 12:15 PM
I can link you to a .rar file of the album. No torrents or P2P, just a straight download.

I'm sorry.

For which part?

Reaper16
05-20-2009, 12:34 PM
For which part?
Bullet for my Valentine.

DMAC
05-20-2009, 12:36 PM

Talk to Reaper. Quality is fine. Buy it when it comes out. More vague? Possibly.

beach tribe
05-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Bullet for my Valentine.

Those two dude's can shred. Kind of a younger feel than I like, but I respect the old style shredding they do.

beach tribe
05-20-2009, 04:10 PM
Listening to DT now. Awesome.

beach tribe
05-20-2009, 04:11 PM
What are the best older songs by DT?

Reaper16
05-20-2009, 05:25 PM
I think Dream Theater's best albums, by far, are their first three w/ James LaBrie: Images and Words, A Change of Seasons, and Awake. Well, A Change of Seasons is an EP, but that song is awesome.

chagrin
05-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Yeah, this is DT's best album since Scenes From a Memory. There are parts in each song that I dislike, and I really don't care for The Shattered Fortress because it has like two minutes of new material (the other 98% is recycled bits, I mean references, from the other songs in the AA cycle), but taken on the whole its a strong record. The Count of Tuscany, despite its terrible lyrics, is a sweet closing song. Wither is probably DT's best song in a long, long time.

I agree with most of this, except that I have to say that I like ROP the best, or even the count - to this point; but I'm not slamming your opinion at all. After that last work, which I really hate to say I didn't like that much, I needed to hear this from them - this is the best since Scenes, IMO as well :clap:

chagrin
05-21-2009, 12:11 PM

I think what he means is why not torrent it just to get a feel for it and then purchase it when it is released?

you can also find "Wither" and "Rite Of Passage" on youtube in fine quality if you don't want to hear the rest of it until it's released, it's awesome Lzen - you're going to love it!

chagrin
05-21-2009, 12:16 PM

Anything off "Scenes From A Memory" but off that record, "Home, Scene Six" and dance Of Eternity, Scene Seven" but the whole thing is tits!

Train Of Thoguht, "Honor Thy Father" "This Dying Soul" "Stream Of Unconciousness (instrumental from hell)"

Octavarium - the whole fuggin thing

Images and Words, the whole fuggin thing

If you have been touched by any sort of Mental disorder, be it yourself or freind/family member - Six Degrees will move you deeply with the stories but the music is out of this world as well - their most "piano heavy" is that's fair to say, possible - Jordan's debut with the band

Awake - Lie - Space Dye Vest, and the rest of the album too, lol!

okay - all of them!

I wasn't a big fan of Systematic Chaos but all their live work is excellent as well, they ad lib a lot and do some outstanding instrumental medleys and stuff.

chagrin
05-21-2009, 12:55 PM
I'd also add that on this latest work, the JP solo beginning about 10:00 in, is heart felt, emotional, technical and kick ass, until about 11:40 I think when it becomes a long dramatic repetitive piece; then again it's about the end of a parent's life, so I think he was making it to be theatrical kinda...whatever, great record!

Lzen
05-21-2009, 03:20 PM
I think what he means is why not torrent it just to get a feel for it and then purchase it when it is released?

you can also find "Wither" and "Rite Of Passage" on youtube in fine quality if you don't want to hear the rest of it until it's released, it's awesome Lzen - you're going to love it!

Ok, I will try it. I know I will love it. DT has never disappointed me. Unlike what you say about Systematic Chaos, I absofreakinlutely love that album.

Lzen
05-21-2009, 03:22 PM
I think Dream Theater's best albums, by far, are their first three w/ James LaBrie: Images and Words, A Change of Seasons, and Awake. Well, A Change of Seasons is an EP, but that song is awesome.

So then I'm gonna guess that you really enjoy former keyboardist Kevin Moore's songwriting.

Lzen
05-21-2009, 03:24 PM
....Six Degrees .... - Jordan's debut with the band

Not to pick on you, bro, but you are wrong. Jordon Rudess's first studio album with DT was Scenes From A Memory. ;)

DMAC
05-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Ok, I will try it. I know I will love it. DT has never disappointed me. Unlike what you say about Systematic Chaos, I absofreakinlutely love that album.

I love SC for In The presence of enemies 1 and 2.

Love those tracks.

Reaper16
05-21-2009, 04:32 PM
So then I'm gonna guess that you really enjoy former keyboardist Kevin Moore's songwriting.
Yeah. For sure. I find Kevin Moore-era DT to be an infinitely better band than other iterations. Hell, I like Falling Into Infinity w/ Sherinian a lot more than Train of Thought, Six Degrees, Octavarium, etc. But I have a history of posts here displaying my general dislike for the band under Rudess.

Lzen
05-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Yeah. For sure. I find Kevin Moore-era DT to be an infinitely better band than other iterations. Hell, I like Falling Into Infinity w/ Sherinian a lot more than Train of Thought, Six Degrees, Octavarium, etc. But I have a history of posts here displaying my general dislike for the band under Rudess.

See, I love Rudess. Sure, Moore was great. But I like Rudess just as much. And I like him more than Sherinian. In any case, they are just one part of the band. The main forces in the band have always been Petrucci and Portnoy.

Reaper16
05-21-2009, 08:16 PM
I like Rudess, too, in isolation. He's obviously an incredible player. I just don't like the write & record song writing style that they have employed with him in the band. With Moore, the band would demo and demo and demo during the writing process, making sure their material was working. For the last several albums, they've gotten too loose during the recording process, and the songs are a lot sloppier (not in technical proficiency but in thightness of writing) than they used to be. I also don't like the Pantera & Metallica worship phase that Peh-truck-see went through for several albums.

Thankfully, for my tastes, that sloppiness is diminished on BC&SL.

Lzen
05-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Ok Reaper, can you hook a brother up?

Reaper16
05-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Ok Reaper, can you hook a brother up?
http://rapidshare.com/files/234853377/walldillDTBCSL.rar

DMAC
05-21-2009, 09:17 PM
:rockon:

Lzen
05-22-2009, 09:37 AM
WOW!!!!

Just started listening to the album (thanks Reaper). A Nightmare to Remember is kick ass!

chagrin
05-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Not to pick on you, bro, but you are wrong. Jordon Rudess's first studio album with DT was Scenes From A Memory. ;)

whoops, yep

chagrin
05-22-2009, 12:03 PM
WOW!!!!

Just started listening to the album (thanks Reaper). A Nightmare to Remember is kick ass!

aww-right!!

RiversRunRed
05-22-2009, 12:03 PM
idk i havent listend to dt much since i bought train of thought. They're amazing musicians, but the singer sometimes sounds really goofy. Although perhaps its just me.

RiversRunRed
05-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Btw Reaper, your avatar is brilliant:rockon:

DMAC
05-22-2009, 03:37 PM
idk i havent listend to dt much since i bought train of thought. They're amazing musicians, but the singer sometimes sounds really goofy. Although perhaps its just me.Amazingly enough, he tones it down for this one.

chagrin
05-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Amazingly enough, he tones it down for this one.

Over the last 3-4 works, he's found his groove and doesn't go overboard anymore. I think James has really settled in, SFAM, if not 6 degrees, certainly proved that.