PDA

View Full Version : Life Bike Across Kansas 2009 - Any cyclists here?

ziggysocki
05-03-2009, 06:47 PM
I have been checking this out. BIKING ACROSS KANSAS 2009. (http://www.bak.org/2009/2009info.html) Not really a race, bike 50-70 miles per day, stay at prearranged sites... schools mostly. I have never done it but it looks interesting. Any planeteers ever participate? Know anyone who has? Doing it this year? Just curious if it would be a fun thing to burn a weeks vacation on.

beavis
05-03-2009, 06:49 PM
That's got to be the most boring bike race ever.

KcMizzou
05-03-2009, 06:51 PM
That's got to be the most boring bike race ever.At least there are no hills.

ziggysocki
05-03-2009, 06:53 PM
That's got to be the most boring bike race ever.

I'm guessing you are talking about the amazing scenery of western and central KS? I have never been west of Wichita (by car anyway)

88TG88
05-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Are roads well maintained over there ?

BigVE
05-03-2009, 07:05 PM
At least there are no hills.

Define "hill". A friend of mine rode in it last year and he said the terrain was deceivingly tough for a novice rider. The weather was crappy as usual in Ks. in May/June. The one thing he recommended was to get the camping service (whatever its called) where they will setup your tent for you each evening and tear down in the mornings...he said it was a relief not to have to try to beat all the other people back to camp and find a spot THEN setup. Overall he said he had fun...if your into that.

ziggysocki
05-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Define "hill". A friend of mine rode in it last year and he said the terrain was deceivingly tough for a novice rider. The weather was crappy as usual in Ks. in May/June. The one thing he recommended was to get the camping service (whatever its called) where they will setup your tent for you each evening and tear down in the mornings...he said it was a relief not to have to try to beat all the other people back to camp and find a spot THEN setup. Overall he said he had fun...if your into that.

Yeah long rolling hills really suck. It seems like you are always climbing cause the downhill is not that steep to gain a bunch of speed. The wind in Kansas is always a factor, and can suck the life out of you. I like the idea of the communal camping, meeting other riders, seeing an area I have never seen (and of course the challenge of doing about 550 miles in 7-8 days)

rocks
05-03-2009, 08:15 PM
I did the ride in '86 & '87. It was a great time and really a challange. The "no hills" part is pure BS. Some of the hills go for miles and the wind was a factor most everyday. But it was great getting to know some new folks and take in some nice country. Matter of fact I still have my bike that I rode in '87. Do they still make Univega?? Have fun!

beavis
05-03-2009, 08:34 PM
At least there are no hills.

None of those pesky trees either.