PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Hobbit Watch

HolyHandgernade
05-05-2009, 08:40 PM
While I'm sure some have had enough of the Shire Folk, I've always loved these stories. Read them as a kid, followed the buildup to the movies before they even started making casting calls. I know it may seem a tad bit early for some since the first movie isn't due until December 2011 (the second 2012), but they are getting closer to fleshing out the scripts and contemplating casting as the legal issues have all been resolved. For those who don't follow closely, this much we know:

Executive Producer: Peter Jackson
Lead Director: del Toro

Characters who are considered very likely to reprise their roles:

Sir Ian McKellan: Gandalf

Has already indicated he is on board even though they haven't officially announced casting calls, and is excited to be a part of it.

Viggo Mortenson : Aragorn

Liv Tyler : Arwen

Andy Serkis : Gollum

Hugo Weaving : Elrond

Cate Blanchett : Galadriel

Marton Csokas : Celeborn

Orlando Bloom : Legalos

Christopher Lee : Saruman

Providing his health holds out!

Bilbo will be played by another actor as Ian Holmes is too old to reprise the role. Gimli is not featured and it is well known John Rhys-Davies is allergic to the prosthetics and would probably not be keen to do a different dwarf. All the hobbits were not born, or at least were very young, during the span of these two movies. Even though Legalos was not in The Hobbit, it was his father's place that the dwarves escaped from and he could be worked into the movies rather easily.

What will the movies cover?

It was recently revealed that indeed two movies will be made. Most are already familiar with the Hobbit story, so the speculation began on what would be covered by the second movie. del Toro recently indicated that they will focus on the White Council and Dol Guldur.

The White Council was first convened in the Second Age, though little is known of it. It is reconvened in the Third Age under suspicion that the character known as "The Necromancer" is indeed Sauron, who is attempting to regain his power and find the One Ring. Members of the White Council include:

Saruman the White
Gandalf the Grey
Lady Galadriel of Lothlórien
Master Elrond of Rivendell
Círdan the Shipwright of the Grey Havens

Also, possibly:

Elf-lord Glorfindel
Elrond's chief counsellor Erestor
Thranduil, the King of Northern Mirkwood and father of Legolas
Celeborn, Galadriel's husband.

Dol Guldur is the stronghold first inhabited by Sauron, who later flees it but stations one of the Nazgul there later. When Gandalf leaves the company of Bilbo and the Dwarves, this is the business he is attending to. Here is a brief list of possible subjects that may be covered in the duo package of movies, either as flashbacks or realtime:

Year 2770 Erebor, Middle-Earth Smaug settles on the Lonely Mountain. At this time Dale was destroyed

Year 2850 Dol Guldur, Middle-Earth Gandalf the Grey discovers that the power in Dol Guldur is Sauron. While there he recovers the map and key from Thrain II

Year 2890, September 22 The Shire, Middle-Earth Bilbo Baggins is born

Year 2931, March 1 Arnor, Middle-Earth Aragorn II born

Year 2941 The Shire and Erebor, Middle-Earth Bilbo joins the Quest for Erebor. Fore more information, see his book, The Hobbit. The White Council agrees to attack Sauron

Year 2942 Erebor and the Shire, Middle-Earth Bilbo returns to the Shire

Year 2951 Mordor, Middle-Earth Sauron returns to Mordor and declares himself again

Year 2953 Middle-Earth Saruman begins to spy on Gandalf, and to lie to the White Council in its last meeting

Year 2968 The Shire, Middle-Earth Frodo Baggins is born

Year 2989 Erebor and Moria, Middle-Earth Balin leaves the Lonely Mountain to colonize Moria

Year 2994 Moria, Middle-Earth Balin is killed and the colony fails, with all the dwarves being killed

del Toro has said the focus will be on these aspects so the two movies can tie into the general theme established by the Lord of the Rings trilogy. How far the second movie goes into connecting to events of the trilogy is unknown. He has said he would like to work on the relationship of Aragorn and Arwen as well as the early friendship between Aragorn and Legalos. The major battle scene would be the attack on Dol Guldur, between the forces of Sauron and the Elves.

Also, Tolkien hinted that that the Dwarves foray into the Lonely Mountain, in part, was planned to keep Smaug occupied and unable to establish an alliance with Sauron in the region.

My only hope is that Lee is able to reprise his role as Saruman. At this point, he is seeking the One Ring for himself, discouraging the first planned attack on Dol Guldur because he believed Sauron would attempt to call for it, only later agreeing to an attack after realizing Sauron's power had grown faster than he realized. He thus wants him out of the area so he can search for it and gain the upper hand.

Any other Middle Earth fans out there psyched for these movies? What do you hope to see most? What do you hope is explored in the bulk of the second movie?

-HH

htismaqe
05-05-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm worried that the Hobbit won't meet my expectations. It will be very hard to compare to the Rankin/Bass animated masterpiece. :)

HolyHandgernade
05-06-2009, 12:56 AM
But really, who can compete with animation on any scale? We must learn to temper our expectations, no? :D

-HH

J Diddy
05-06-2009, 01:07 AM
I'm sick of watching the ending before the beginning.

Valiant
05-06-2009, 01:30 AM
Should be glorious.. hopefully it is..

htismaqe
05-06-2009, 08:41 AM
I'm sick of watching the ending before the beginning.

In this case, I don't have much problem with it. I could see if it was a completely untold, new story. But these stories are so familiar already.

Katipan
05-06-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm worried that the Hobbit won't meet my expectations. It will be very hard to compare to the Rankin/Bass animated masterpiece. :)

THISmage.

Only reason I can remember all the words of the Fifteen birds in 5 fir trees poem is because I can still remember the Goblins singing it from the cartoon.

MoreLemonPledge
05-07-2009, 03:16 PM
I still haven't read the Hobbit. I'd like to, if I wasn't so lazy. Damn you, technology!

hishighness
05-08-2009, 07:15 AM
I wish I could read.

HolyHandgernade
05-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Part of a Christopher Lee interview:

IGN: Would you be willing to reprise the role?

Lee: In the spirit very much so. But I’ve reached an age now [86] where going to New Zealand again would be a very considerable effort. It would not be easy because it’s an exhausting journey. Even with a break I’m not sure I could do it.

IGN: If they could film your part in London, would you be interested?

Lee: Oh yes, of course. I’d be delighted.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5qGFbBNnodw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5qGFbBNnodw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

HolyHandgernade
05-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Viggo Mortensen talks The Hobbit

"It'll probably be as bewildering as the other three."

Lord Of The Rings star Viggo Mortensen has spoken to totalfilm.com about The Hobbit, addressing speculation as to whether he’ll reprise his role as Aragorn.

“I’d rather finish the job myself than have another actor do it,” says Mortensen. “I’m interested in principle, but I’d want to see it done in the right spirit of Tolkien.”

Viggo gave a nod of approval to new director Guillermo del Toro, saying, “He’s strongminded, intelligent and probably just as stubborn [as Jackson].

"I don’t know if it’ll be as big a circus [as the Trilogy] in terms of several people writing changes at the last minute.

“Maybe it’ll be more streamlined and efficient, but to some degree it’ll probably be as bewildering a set-up as the other three.”

Mortensen also claims the original trilogy became more led by effects as the series progressed.

“The Fellowship Of The Ring for me was the one most faithful to Tolkien. The one that had the most to do with any kind of subtlety in terms of performance and storytelling.

“Starting with the second one it became more of a blockbuster special effects thing. That’s not to say as that type of movie they weren’t the best.

"You can’t argue with the films’ success, but had it been me, I would have focused less on the effects and more on the characterisations.

“I’d have allowed the secondary characters to speak more and not be so focused on the heroes. There was more balance in the way that all the races of Middle-earth were presented in the first one. It was more about the relationships… That’s just my personal taste.”

See the new issue of Total Film Magazine for a full version of our Viggo Mortensen interview.

HolyHandgernade
05-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Here's an update from del Toro:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2P0dTo0yNpQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2P0dTo0yNpQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dkXiDgL5aUI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dkXiDgL5aUI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

htismaqe
05-08-2009, 05:35 PM
THISmage.

Only reason I can remember all the words of the Fifteen birds in 5 fir trees poem is because I can still remember the Goblins singing it from the cartoon.

ROFL

They actually produced a somewhat rambling, incomplete cartoon of the Trilogy. I can still remember "Frodo of the nine fingers, and the ring of doom"...

HolyHandgernade
05-13-2009, 12:57 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/2400755/Hobbit-One-tale-in-two-parts

Hobbit: One tale in two parts

Peter Jackson has confirmed that The Hobbit, to be shot in Wellington next year, will be one continuous movie in two parts and not two self-contained films.

When the project was announced in late 2007, the plan was for two films to be shot back-to-back.

The first film would be based on The Hobbit in its entirety, or, some of the story would spill over into the second film which would also be based on author JRR Tolkien's other writings to create a direct link to The Lord of the Rings.

But Jackson, who is also an executive producer on the project, said The Hobbit would now take up all of both films. "We decided it would be a mistake to try to cram everything into one movie," he hold British film magazine Empire.

"The essential brief was to do The Hobbit, and it allows us to make The Hobbit in a little more style, if you like, of the [Lord of the Rings] trilogy."

Jackson's confirmation backs comments made late last year by The Hobbit director Guillermo del Toro that it was likely The Hobbit would be spread over two films rather than one.

Del Toro told Empire the two-part Hobbit movie would expand on two areas that were only alluded to in the book - wizard Gandalf's visits to arch-villain Sauron's stronghold in Mirkwood forest and the wizard's involvement in the White Council.

htismaqe
05-13-2009, 01:09 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/2400755/Hobbit-One-tale-in-two-parts

Hobbit: One tale in two parts

Peter Jackson has confirmed that The Hobbit, to be shot in Wellington next year, will be one continuous movie in two parts and not two self-contained films.

When the project was announced in late 2007, the plan was for two films to be shot back-to-back.

The first film would be based on The Hobbit in its entirety, or, some of the story would spill over into the second film which would also be based on author JRR Tolkien's other writings to create a direct link to The Lord of the Rings.

But Jackson, who is also an executive producer on the project, said The Hobbit would now take up all of both films. "We decided it would be a mistake to try to cram everything into one movie," he hold British film magazine Empire.

"The essential brief was to do The Hobbit, and it allows us to make The Hobbit in a little more style, if you like, of the [Lord of the Rings] trilogy."

Jackson's confirmation backs comments made late last year by The Hobbit director Guillermo del Toro that it was likely The Hobbit would be spread over two films rather than one.

Del Toro told Empire the two-part Hobbit movie would expand on two areas that were only alluded to in the book - wizard Gandalf's visits to arch-villain Sauron's stronghold in Mirkwood forest and the wizard's involvement in the White Council.

Kinda cool. I was worried they might take too many liberties with the 2nd film in effort to connect it to LotR.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Opening night is going to be a madhouse. I think the New Line adaptations are the best things to come out of Hollywood in a long, long time. I can't remember ever having so much fun at the theater. Return of the King was almost spiritual for me. I wept openly toward the end. The only thing that compared was seeing Episode I with an army of batshit crazy Star Wars fans...

HolyHandgernade
05-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Dol Guldur

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dol_Guldur

Dol Guldur (Sindarin: "Hill of Sorcery") was Sauron's stronghold in Mirkwood in the fictional world of J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth. It is first mentioned (as "the dungeons of the Necromancer") in The Hobbit. The hill itself, rocky and barren, was the highest point in the southwestern part of the forest. Before Sauron's occupation it was called Amon Lanc "Naked Hill". It lay near the western edge of the forest, across the Anduin from Lothlórien. In a passage that appears to apply the name Dol Guldur principally to the fortress rather than the barren hill it rose above, the company of the Ring first catch sight of it from Cerin Amroth in Lórien.

In the Second Age, before Sauron occupied the hill, Silvan Elves of the Woodland Realm under Oropher, father of Thranduil, populated the area of Rhovanion around Amon Lanc, but they withdrew northward, evidently to avoid conflict with Lórien and Moria. The Wise perceived evil growing there early in the Third Age, starting about T.A. 1100. During the latter part of the Third Age, Sauron used this fortress as a base to attack Lothlórien and the surrounding area. Tolkien suggests that Sauron settled on Dol Guldur as the focus for his rise during the period before the War of the Ring in part so that he could search for the One Ring in the Gladden Fields just up the river.

http://www.john-howe.com/portfolio/gallery/data/media/34/EA-DolGuldur1-port.jpg

The fictional history of Dol Guldur is laid out across several of Tolkien's works, including The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, and Unfinished Tales. Sauron's history at the site begins in the Third Age, around the year 1100.[7] Due to its situation inside Mirkwood and east of Lórien, Dol Guldur was a key stronghold in Sauron's return to power.

http://www.thelandofshadow.com/mordorgate/1darkdomains/dolguldur/dolguldurB.jpg

After Sauron was defeated in the War of the Last Alliance, he retreated to Amon Lanc and built a fortress, where he hid in secrecy while recovering his strength. As the evil force residing there became apparent to the outside world, it was named the Necromancer. It was not known at first that Sauron had regained physical form and was nursing himself to health; it was believed that a Nazgûl dominated the tower and land. But as the power grew in strength, Gandalf the Grey became suspicious and in T.A. 2063 travelled to Dol Guldur to investigate. Sauron anticipated his coming and withdrew to the East to remain hidden in secrecy Thus began what later became known as the The Watchful Peace, which lasted until T.A. 2460, when Sauron finally returned to Dol Guldur after years of hiding.

In T.A. 2845, Thráin II, King of Durin's folk, the last bearer of one of the seven Rings of Power given to the Dwarves, was captured by Sauron's forces and was kept at Dol Guldur, where he yielded his ring to Sauron under torture. Gandalf went again to Dol Guldur in T.A. 2850 to investigate his suspicions of the power that was rising, learned that this was indeed Sauron, and found Thráin in the dungeons close to death. Thráin gave Gandalf a map and key to the Lonely Mountain, which Gandalf undertook to convey to Thorin Oakenshield, Thráin's son and heir.

http://tolkiengateway.net/w/images/thumb/d/d0/John_Howe_-_Pass_the_Doors_of_Dol_Guldur.jpg/300px-John_Howe_-_Pass_the_Doors_of_Dol_Guldur.jpg

Again anticipating the Wise, Sauron left Dol Guldur for Mordor in T.A. 2941. Ten years later, when Sauron declared himself openly in Mordor, he sent three nazgûl back to reoccupy Dol Guldur. Khamûl (one of the three) commanded the fortress in Sauron's absence. In March of T.A. 3018, scouts from Dol Guldur became aware that Gollum had been brought to Mirkwood and was being held prisoner by Thranduil. On 20 June T.A. 3018, orcs from Dol Guldur attacked the Elves who had imprisoned Gollum; in the chaos, Gollum escaped and disappeared.

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr34/urukwarrior/castleclear.jpg

In March, T.A. 3019, during the final days of the War of the Ring, Dol Guldur sent forces against Lothlórien and Thranduil's realm in what came to be known as the Battles of Lothlórien and Mirkwood: three attacks on Lórien (March 11, 15, and 22) and one, "The Battle under the Trees", against Thranduil (March 15). All were fiercely fought, but the power of Galadriel and the strength of the Elves proved too great for Dol Guldur to overcome. It is reasonable to suppose that the Battle of Dale mounted at the same time (March 17) by Sauron's allies from the East against Brand and Dáin II was also coordinated with Dol Guldur, but the text does not make this connection. After the defeat of Sauron on March 25, Celeborn marched on Dol Guldur and overthrew it. Galadriel then destroyed the fortress so that the forest was free from the shadow of the tower. (These battles are all described in Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings, under the entries for the dates involved, and after the entry for March 25.)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/Battle_Under_the_Trees.jpg

Tolkien described how, in the history of Dol Guldur, Sauron's growing activity and power increased the tensions among Sauron's enemies. The Wise (various Elf-lords and Wizards — including Gandalf the Grey) had sensed an evil power growing in Dol Guldur, and they tried to determine whether Sauron was alive and regaining strength. Tolkien had portrayed the war fought by the Last Alliance of Elves and Men against Sauron at the end of the Second Age as a devastating struggle, one the Wise hoped not to have to repeat. In response to the growing threat at Dol Guldur, they formed the White Council in T.A. 2463, shortly after Sauron's return to the fortress. Much later, in T.A. 2850, Gandalf infiltrated the area to probe Dol Guldur, and discovered that the evil presence whose identity he had long suspected was indeed Sauron. The following year he pressed the White Council for an attack on Sauron.

But Saruman, the head of the Council, who had become corrupted by desire for Sauron's One Ring, spoke against this move, reassuring them that without the Ring Sauron could not regain his full strength. Saruman put the Council off by suggesting that the Ring had most likely been lost in the River Anduin and had been carried out to the sea. But in fact, Saruman was himself seeking the One Ring, and in this pursuit secretly betrayed the Council. He believed the Ring lay hidden in the Gladden Fields not far from Dol Guldur, and was searching for it there. For Isildur had perished in the Gladden Fields when his army was ambushed by orcs after the defeat of Sauron — and it was Isildur who had taken Sauron's Ring and was its last known bearer. Saruman therefore did not want Sauron disturbed, hoping that if Sauron continued searching, the Ring might reveal itself while trying to reach Sauron, its one true master.

Sauron thus was left to his devices. Gandalf remained troubled by Sauron's presence, and at the White Council in T.A. 2941 he once again argued that an attack on Dol Guldur was inevitable and necessary for the security of Middle-earth and its peoples. Saruman agreed this time, but only because he had learned two years earlier that Sauron too was searching for the One Ring in the Gladden Fields. Saruman hoped too that with Sauron and his servants out of the way, he himself might have more leisure to continue the search. The Council gathered its strength and drove Sauron from Dol Guldur. But the victory was hollow: Sauron had foreseen and prepared in advance for the assault, and he traveled in secret to Mordor to rebuild Barad-dûr to be his new sanctuary — and Dol Guldur was shortly reoccupied by nazgûl sent by Sauron from Mordor. It was not until the War of the Ring, when Saruman was unmasked and Sauron fell, that the Wise finally purged the dark influence from Dol Guldur.

keg in kc
05-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Ironically, they're soon to add Dol Guldur to the Lord of the Rings Online.

I expect to spend many a painful night there in the next year.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Tell us about your Lotro character, keg.

keg in kc
05-13-2009, 02:57 PM
I have 7 of them.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2009, 03:05 PM
I weep for you.

keg in kc
05-13-2009, 03:06 PM
I weep for me, too.

You have no idea...

htismaqe
05-13-2009, 03:09 PM
I weep for me, too.

You have no idea...

Don't hold out on us. Describe them.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Yeah. Take some effing screenshots, brah.

Basileus777
05-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Separating the Hobbit into two films is a pretty shameless form of milking. You can't tell me that the Hobbit's fairly simple plot couldn't be condensed into a 2.5-3 hour film while remaining faithful to Tolkien. Hell, it doesn't even take that long to read the book. And there is no need for Dol Guldur to get its own film when there's only a few pages in the appendix about it in the books anyway.

htismaqe
05-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Separating the Hobbit into two films is a pretty shameless form of milking. You can't tell me that the Hobbit's fairly simple plot couldn't be condensed into a 2.5-3 hour film while remaining faithful to Tolkien. And there is no need for Dol Guldur to get its own film when there's only a few pages in the appendix about it in the books anyway.

Well, the latest that he posted was that the story itself would be stretched over 2 films. There won't be an entire film on Dol Guldur like the speculation in the OP.

I think putting it into 3 hours might not do it full justice, but I see what you're saying.

And I absolutely agree with you about Dol Guldur. That was my concern with them doing an entire movie on it - they'd have to make some stuff up just to fill 2 hours because there isn't a whole lot there.

Hammock Parties
05-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Separating the Hobbit into two films is a pretty shameless form of milking. You can't tell me that the Hobbit's fairly simple plot couldn't be condensed into a 2.5-3 hour film while remaining faithful to Tolkien. Hell, it doesn't even take that long to read the book. And there is no need for Dol Guldur to get its own film when there's only a few pages in the appendix about it in the books anyway.

Shut up. The more Ian McKellan strained whispering we get, the better.

keg in kc
05-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Don't hold out on us. Describe them.I have a level 60 Man lore-master, which I guess is technically my 'main'. A lore-master is a combination spellcaster and pet class, pretty useful guy to have around.

My other 60 is an elf rune-keeper, which I play as pure ranged DPS. Like to kill stuff with lightning!

I have an elf hunter who's 55. Unlike WoW hunters, there's no pet, just ranged DPS. This is my gatherer character for crafting.

I have a minstrel who's 52. My only Hobbit toon (Ferdilas of the Fallowhides). Minstrels in LotRO are the healing class, but I play mine solo and beef his DPS. I'm not interested in healing groups, at least not right now...

I have a dwarf guardian who's 48. Tank class, but like the minstrel, i play mine as a solo toon, so he's focused on DPS.

I have an elf Champion who's 34. Champions are the melee DPS/melee AoE class. I haven't played him in a while; I find him really...dull.

My newest toon is a level 21 elf Warden that I started a couple weeks back. Warden is a newer class, kind of a hybrid tank/solo class with a combat skillset and style different than anything I've played in any game. You use three base skills (fist (aggro), shield (defense/heal) and spear (attack)) to build up chain attacks called "gambits". It's difficult to explain but it's pretty cool.

I'm at work, so can't really do SSs...

HolyHandgernade
05-13-2009, 03:27 PM
I think Dol Guldur gives them something to center on. For the Hobbit, it will be the Lonely Mountain and the Battle of the Five Armies, for FotR it was the Mines of Moria, for TT it was Helm's Deep, and for RotK it was Gondor and Pelenor Fields. It doesn't mean those movies won't have other material, its just a focal point of the conflict. Rumors are that they want Aragorn, Gandalf and Legalos in the second film, establishing their initial friendship. The Dwarves move from the Lonely Mountain to Moria. The treachery as Saruman deceives Gandalf and the White Council. The love interest between Aragorn and Arwen. I think there is plenty of material to flesh out a movie.

-HH

MOhillbilly
05-13-2009, 03:33 PM
I have a level 60 Man lore-master, which I guess is technically my 'main'. A lore-master is a combination spellcaster and pet class, pretty useful guy to have around.

My other 60 is an elf rune-keeper, which I play as pure ranged DPS. Like to kill stuff with lightning!

I have an elf hunter who's 55. Unlike WoW hunters, there's no pet, just ranged DPS. This is my gatherer character for crafting.

I have a minstrel who's 52. My only Hobbit toon (Ferdilas of the Fallowhides). Minstrels in LotRO are the healing class, but I play mine solo and beef his DPS. I'm not interested in healing groups, at least not right now...

I have a dwarf guardian who's 48. Tank class, but like the minstrel, i play mine as a solo toon, so he's focused on DPS.

I have an elf Champion who's 34. Champions are the melee DPS/melee AoE class. I haven't played him in a while; I find him really...dull.

My newest toon is a level 21 elf Warden that I started a couple weeks back. Warden is a newer class, kind of a hybrid tank/solo class with a combat skillset and style different than anything I've played in any game. You use three base skills (fist (aggro), shield (defense/heal) and spear (attack)) to build up chain attacks called "gambits". It's difficult to explain but it's pretty cool.

I'm at work, so can't really do SSs...

what does dps mean?

Basileus777
05-13-2009, 03:35 PM
what does dps mean?

damage per second

Hammock Parties
05-13-2009, 03:45 PM
I was a human champion when I played. I like to hack and slash. I was gonna get my bow eventually...maybe when I re-up if my character is still there.

HolyHandgernade
06-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Actor to play Bilbo Baggins to be announced soon:

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/06/04/exclusive-guillermo-del-toro-very-close-to-annoucing-bilbo-baggins-casting-for-the-hobbit/

HolyHandgernade
06-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Here's an interview with del Toro (with a few silly interviews with fans) talking about the movie some more:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UQA0FYU64wo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UQA0FYU64wo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

HolyHandgernade
06-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Just a quick recap of role confirmations:

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/photos/uncategorized/2008/09/15/tn2_ian_mckellen_3.jpg

Ian McKellen is confirmed to reprise his role as Gandalf

http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/andy-serkis-the-prestige-premiere-in-london-arrivals-xJe1tK.jpg

Andy Serkis is confirmed to reprise his role as Gollum

http://www.thediviningnation.com/vote/xweaving.jpg

And Hugo Weaving has just been confirmed to reprise his role as Elrond.

The speculation continues as to who will play Bilbo. Many believe Peter Jackson is going to spill the beans at the San Diego ComicCon this July. Nobody knows who is on the shortlist, but some rumors (or possibly hopes) include:

James McAvoy (Atonement, Last king of Scotland, Wanted)

http://www.uweb.ucsb.edu/~alyssaisaacks/james_mcavoy.jpg

Ewan McGregor (Angels and Demons, Star Wars, Trainspotting, Moulin Rouge)

http://www.thecinemasource.com/moviesdb/images/ewan_mcgregor_miss_potter_4.jpg

Martin Freeman (British version of "Tim" in The Office; Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; Hot Fuzz)

http://www.martinfreemanonline.co.uk/images/091107_martin_300X400.jpg

Slainte
06-18-2009, 12:10 PM
IMO, The story of the downfall Of Numenor & the end of the Second Age would make a better film than some connective tissue about the cleansing of Dol Guldor, the dwarves exodus to Moria & the Aragorn-Arwen romance. Still I'm fairly certain the movie they have planned will turn out well -- I trust Del Toro & Jackson -- but still; to me they're missing out on a great opportunity.

Hammock Parties
06-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Holy shit, Martin Freeman would be perfect.

listopencil
06-18-2009, 01:48 PM
what does dps mean?

"DPS' is an acronym for "damage per second". A DPS character specializes in causing high amounts of damage to the opponent over a short period of time. So if you were dps you probably will have a low armor value and low healing ability. Some of the more important aspects of a DPS character are 1) Do you deal your damage at long range, hand-to-hand or both? 2) Do you deal physical or magical damage? 2) Do you have crowd control abilities, and how strong are they?

The Franchise
06-18-2009, 02:14 PM
I love the Rings....but this is hilarious.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b0sc-gS9AqM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b0sc-gS9AqM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Frosty
06-18-2009, 03:10 PM
http://www.thediviningnation.com/vote/xweaving.jpg

And Hugo Weaving has just been confirmed to reprise his role as Elrond.

I just watched the LOTR trilogy again and this time I found Weaving distracting. I kept expecting him to say "Mr. Anderson" after every sentence.

06-19-2009, 05:22 AM
I just watched the LOTR trilogy again and this time I found Weaving distracting. I kept expecting him to say "Mr. Anderson" after every sentence.Do you hear that sound Mr. Anderson?

Valiant
06-19-2009, 02:06 PM
While I'm sure some have had enough of the Shire Folk, I've always loved these stories. Read them as a kid, followed the buildup to the movies before they even started making casting calls. I know it may seem a tad bit early for some since the first movie isn't due until December 2011 (the second 2012), but they are getting closer to fleshing out the scripts and contemplating casting as the legal issues have all been resolved. For those who don't follow closely, this much we know:

Executive Producer: Peter Jackson
Lead Director: del Toro

Characters who are considered very likely to reprise their roles:

Sir Ian McKellan: Gandalf

Has already indicated he is on board even though they haven't officially announced casting calls, and is excited to be a part of it.

Viggo Mortenson : Aragorn

Liv Tyler : Arwen

Andy Serkis : Gollum

Hugo Weaving : Elrond

Cate Blanchett : Galadriel

Marton Csokas : Celeborn

Orlando Bloom : Legalos

Christopher Lee : Saruman

Providing his health holds out!

Bilbo will be played by another actor as Ian Holmes is too old to reprise the role. Gimli is not featured and it is well known John Rhys-Davies is allergic to the prosthetics and would probably not be keen to do a different dwarf. All the hobbits were not born, or at least were very young, during the span of these two movies. Even though Legalos was not in The Hobbit, it was his father's place that the dwarves escaped from and he could be worked into the movies rather easily.

What will the movies cover?

It was recently revealed that indeed two movies will be made. Most are already familiar with the Hobbit story, so the speculation began on what would be covered by the second movie. del Toro recently indicated that they will focus on the White Council and Dol Guldur.

The White Council was first convened in the Second Age, though little is known of it. It is reconvened in the Third Age under suspicion that the character known as "The Necromancer" is indeed Sauron, who is attempting to regain his power and find the One Ring. Members of the White Council include:

Saruman the White
Gandalf the Grey
Lady Galadriel of Lothlórien
Master Elrond of Rivendell
Círdan the Shipwright of the Grey Havens

Also, possibly:

Elf-lord Glorfindel
Elrond's chief counsellor Erestor
Thranduil, the King of Northern Mirkwood and father of Legolas
Celeborn, Galadriel's husband.

Dol Guldur is the stronghold first inhabited by Sauron, who later flees it but stations one of the Nazgul there later. When Gandalf leaves the company of Bilbo and the Dwarves, this is the business he is attending to. Here is a brief list of possible subjects that may be covered in the duo package of movies, either as flashbacks or realtime:

del Toro has said the focus will be on these aspects so the two movies can tie into the general theme established by the Lord of the Rings trilogy. How far the second movie goes into connecting to events of the trilogy is unknown. He has said he would like to work on the relationship of Aragorn and Arwen as well as the early friendship between Aragorn and Legalos. The major battle scene would be the attack on Dol Guldur, between the forces of Sauron and the Elves.

Also, Tolkien hinted that that the Dwarves foray into the Lonely Mountain, in part, was planned to keep Smaug occupied and unable to establish an alliance with Sauron in the region.

My only hope is that Lee is able to reprise his role as Saruman. At this point, he is seeking the One Ring for himself, discouraging the first planned attack on Dol Guldur because he believed Sauron would attempt to call for it, only later agreeing to an attack after realizing Sauron's power had grown faster than he realized. He thus wants him out of the area so he can search for it and gain the upper hand.

Any other Middle Earth fans out there psyched for these movies? What do you hope to see most? What do you hope is explored in the bulk of the second movie?

-HH

I could be not remembering correctly, but most of the lotr people were not in the hobbit?? So why are they being precasted in the cast??

HolyHandgernade
06-19-2009, 03:28 PM
There was specution that the movies would expand on Gandalf's "business" after he leaves Bilbo and the dwarves before Mirkwood. This "business" concerns the "Necromancer" (aka Sauron at not quite full strength) with whom he confers with at the White Council. That should answer your question about most of the older elves and Saruman.

Outside of that, there was speculation of including some scenes with Aragorn, Arwen, and Legalos (it his father that Bilbo and the dwarves escape from, although he doesn't specifically appear inthe book). Recently, del Toro announced that instead of significant expansion, the movie would divide the book into two movies.

That could still leave room for some expanded material with Gandalf's "business". del Toro said there is a natural breakpoint in the story that provides for the ending of the first movie and the beginning of the second, but didn't specify beyond that. My guess is narrowed down to two points:

Right before Gandalf leaves the party at the edge of Mirkwood or after the dwarves escape and arrive in Laketown. That leaves Smaug and the Battle of the Five Armies for the second movie and it would depend on how long the battle scene is as to how much of Gandalf's business is touched upon.

-HH

Taco John
06-20-2009, 12:19 AM
My vote goes to Martin Freeman.

HolyHandgernade
06-20-2009, 02:32 PM
I agree, Freeman has more of a quizzical look about him that I think suits the Bilbo charater better.

-HH

Hammock Parties
06-20-2009, 03:48 PM
James McAvoy looks more like a pretty elf.

HolyHandgernade
06-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Rumors are that Lawrence Makoare has been contacted about auditioning in New Zealand. He played the Urak Hai Chief, Lurtz, in FotR and the Orc General, Gothmog as well as the Witchking in RotK. Possible roles for him might include Beorn and/or the Goblin King.

http://www.brownpages.co.nz/Portals/0/Gallery/Album/12/lawrence_makoare.jpg

http://www.tolkienforums.com/Lurtz_2.jpg

http://radgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/gothmog.jpg

http://www.tolkienforums.com/witchking.jpg

http://intertwingled.net/images/lotr_small/beorn.jpg

http://fineartamerica.com/images-medium/the-goblin-king-curtiss-shaffer.jpg

Kraut
07-02-2009, 01:48 PM
:DI'm worried that the Hobbit won't meet my expectations. It will be very hard to compare to the Rankin/Bass animated masterpiece. :)

HolyHandgernade
04-01-2010, 09:22 PM
(Los Angeles, April 6, 2010) – The Hobbit films will begin principal photography in Wellington, New Zealand, on October 11, 2010, under the direction of Guillermo del Toro, it was jointly announced today by Barry M. Meyer, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Warner Bros; Alan Horn, President and Chief Operating Officer of Warner Bros; Stephen Cooper, President and Chief Operating Officer of MGM; Toby Emmerich, President and Chief Operating Officer of New Line Cinema. The date marks the 11th anniversary of the start date of filming of “The Lord of the Rings,” trilogy, also in New Zealand.

The production follows the tradition of Middle-earth movie-making by filming the two films in the saga — “The Hobbit,” in two parts — not consecutively but concurrently, as though they were one giant motion picture production, a feat first established by “Lord of the Rings,” director Peter Jackson who along with Fran Walsh, serves as Executive Producer for this production.

Based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s novel originally written for children and beloved by readers of all ages, the film will have a same-day red carpet premieres around the globe on Tuesday, September 21st, 2012, the landmark 75th anniversary of the publication of “The Hobbit.”

Those high-profile premiers will include cast, crew, guests of the film studios and media including a celebration in the writer’s native Oxford, United Kingdom. Other participating cities are Hong Kong, Johannesburg, London, Los Angeles, New York, Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Salt Lake City, Tokyo and Wellington.

General release for the public will be on Friday, December 31, 2012.

“You see,” joked director Guillermo del Toro, “we kept our promise to fans and released this film before the end of the world,” in a reference to the Mayan calendar which concludes time on that date. “We recommend everybody take Friday off to catch an early screening — just in case!”

The Lord of the Rings franchise stars (in alphabetical order) Cate Blanchett, Marton Csokas, Martin Freeman, Mark Ferguson, Sir Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis and Hugo Weaving with other cast members to be announced before production begins.

The screenplay is written by del Toro (Hellboy, El laberinto del fauno) Jackson (Meet The Feebles, King Kong); Walsh (Heavenly Creatures, The Lovely Bones) and Philippa Boyens (Lord of the Rings, District 9). The producers are Barrie M. Osborne (The Matrix, Face/Off), and Rick Porras (Contact, Lord of the Rings).

Hammock Parties
04-01-2010, 09:54 PM
April Fools, and NOT a funny one.

TrickyNicky
04-01-2010, 10:59 PM
I read that whole press release then saw GoChiefs post and literally did the whole

fffffFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

Pants
04-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Did this get canceled or something?

Fish
06-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Damn.... that's a painful blow....

Guillermo Del Toro departs “The Hobbit” (http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/05/30/36920-guillermo-del-toro-departs-the-hobbit/)

Guillermo Del Toro announced today that he is no longer directing the two movies based on J.R.R Tolkien’s “The Hobbit”, but will continue to co-write the screenplays. Out of respect to the legions of loyal Tolkien fans, both Guillermo and Peter Jackson wanted to break the news to The One Ring first. They are both committed to protecting The Hobbit and will do everything in their power to ensure the films are everything that the fans want them to be.

In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming “The Hobbit,” I am faced with the hardest decision of my life. After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien’s Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures. I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New Zealand. I’ve been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be forever changed. The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project. Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wlsh the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director.”

More: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/05/30/36920-guillermo-del-toro-departs-the-hobbit/

Hammock Parties
06-01-2010, 11:49 AM
I think this will be a blessing in disguise if it forces PJ to take up the mantle. He won't let us down.

salame
06-01-2010, 01:43 PM
I think this will be a blessing in disguise if it forces PJ to take up the mantle. He won't let us down.

That's what I was hoping it would mean

Tribal Warfare
06-29-2010, 01:30 AM
URGENT! Now Peter Jackson Negotiating With Studios To Direct 'The Hobbit' Films (http://www.deadline.com/2010/06/urgent-peter-jackson-negotiating-to-direct-the-hobbit-films/)
By MIKE FLEMING Friday June 25, 2010 @ 10:39am PDT

UPDATED WRITE-THRU - EXCLUSIVE: In what amounts to a dream come true for fans of Middle Earth, Peter Jackson has decided to direct two installments of The Hobbit, trusted sources are telling me. His deal is being negotiated right now with Warner Bros , New Line, and MGM. He will shortly take the reins over from Guillermo del Toro, after Jackson extricates himself from other project obligations that caused Jackson and manager Ken Kamins to initially deny he would direct. While Jackson’s camp has been tight-lipped, I’m told that the case is being made to MGM's owners to loosen the purse strings and make the movies happen. The impetus for these talks is that Jackson will be the director of both of The Hobbit films, which will be shot back-to-back in his New Zealand backyard. The secret's out.

Despite Jackson camp denials that directing was a consideration, there were signs for cautious optimism from the moment del Toro bowed out. More recently, there have been major clues. While several directors have angled for the job -- the most recent rumors focused on David Yates and Jackson's District 9 protege Neill Blomkamp -- no offer was ever made. I think that's because Jackson was figuring out if he wanted to direct two more films, and finish the saga he started with The Lord of the Rings. And then once he decided, Kamins had to make it possible. It became more evident this week: he, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens scheduled a trip to London the week of July 4, followed by a trip to Los Angeles the following week. They will meet the most impressive actors who’ve been put on tape by casting directors. Jackson, Walsh and Boyens wrote the scripts with del Toro, and they did the original trilogy together. But if they intended for someone else to direct, they would have made sure the filmmaker was part of the casting process.

This is quite a turn of events since del Toro surprised the industry by announcing on the Hobbit sounding board TheOneRing.net on Sunday, May 30 that he would not be directing. It was shocking, because del Toro interrupted his new deal to become a cornerstone director at Universal so that he could spend five years taking on The Hobbit, after being chosen over Sam Raimi by Jackson, MGM and New Line. After completing the writing of two scripts, del Toro sounded reticent days before, expressing concern about MGM's financial situation. He left days later. Since the expectation is that somehow the film would get financed despite MGM's woes, speculation was that perhaps del Toro didn't see himself and his family living in New Zealand for the next several years required to make the films. This seemed more plausible, since Jackson said he expected to get the films into theaters for December 2012 and December, 2013.

Jackson seemed the obvious person to take his place as the director of the JRR Tolkien novel, particularly to keep those release dates on track. While he has been engaged with Steven Spielberg on the Tin Tin films, Jackson has been a creative partner with del Toro from the beginning. He certainly knows the terrain better than anyone alive, having shot three installments of The Lord of the Rings during a single production stint. Those three films grossed $2.9 billion worldwide and won a slew of Oscars. Though Kamins initially dismissed the possibility, Jackson opened the door a crack when he told a New Zealand daily he would consider it: "If that's what I have to do to protect Warner Brothers' investment, then obviously that's one angle which I'll explore," Jackson said.

Numerous directors wanted the job, but hiring a star on Jackson's level would have been difficult. Raimi, who is working on the Warner Bros/Legendary vidgame adaptation Warcraft and the Disney film The Great and Powerful Oz, was busy and would likely not return to a project for which he'd gotten passed over. Most of the other star directors like Alfonso Cuaron, Chris Nolan, Spielberg or Bryan Singer are busy on their own projects. In addition, it would be difficult to pay them properly, because of the amount of first dollar gross already committed to Jackson, the Tolkien estate, rights holder Saul Zaentz and Harvey Weinstein, who held the 5% gross stake he had in the original trilogy. That's when Michael Eisner refused his request for Miramax to make the films with Jackson, and Weinstein gave the filmmaker a short window to find another home for the project. That window was almost closed when New Line founder Bob Shaye said yes to three films.

Jackson will have his deal sweetened, but he's already completely invested in the process and there are built-in efficiencies. The films will use the soundstages and visual effects facilities that Jackson built with proceeds from the LOTR proceeds.

Pending a deal, the next step will be to discuss whether or not to shoot the films in 3D. That would beg a second discussion about transferring LOTR into 3D as well, a move that would give the trilogy a shot at another revenue cycle. These are all weighty discussions, but at least there are signs of forward motion, something that cannot be said for the other pictures that the debt-choked MGM has frozen while it figures out its future.

06-29-2010, 01:45 AM
I hate 3D

Hammock Parties
06-29-2010, 01:45 AM
Peter Jackson should be knighted.

HC_Chief
06-29-2010, 01:28 PM
I hate 3D

It's great for certain titles... IMO The Hobbit isn't one of them.

Red Brooklyn
06-29-2010, 02:10 PM
I was looking forward to del Torro's take on the world... but I'm just not at all surprised to see Jackson back on this. Feels right. Feels inevitable.

Fish
09-23-2010, 09:57 AM
http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/2618/hobbitcastingcall737751.jpg

HolyHandgernade
11-05-2010, 04:14 PM
Casting starting to get fleshed out:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/10/21/39468-meet-your-hobbit-cast/

The announcement of the cast for The Hobbit took place on October 21st, 2010, additional announcements were made on November 1st, 2010.

CAST LIST SO FAR (As of November 1st, 2010)

MARTIN FREEMAN – BILBO BAGGINS CONFIRMED
RICHARD ARMITAGE – THORIN OAKENSHIELD CONFIRMED
AIDAN TURNER – KILI CONFIRMED
ROB KAZINSKY – FILI CONFIRMED
GRAHAM MCTAVISH – DWALIN CONFIRMED
JOHN CALLEN – OIN CONFIRMED
STEPHEN HUNTER – BOMBUR CONFIRMED
MARK HADLOW – DORI CONFIRMED
PETER HAMBLETON – GLOIN CONFIRMED
JAMES NESBITT – BOFUR CONFIRMED
ADAM BROWN – ORI CONFIRMED

Rumored and Speculative

SYLVESTER MCCOY – RADAGAST THE BROWN UNCONFIRMED
BRIAN BLESSED – unknown RUMORED
BILL NIGHY – THE VOICE OF SMAUG RUMORED

VIGGO MORTENSEN – ARAGORN RUMORED
IAN MCKELLEN – GANDALF RUMORED
HUGO WEAVING – ELROND RUMORED
CATE BLANCHETT – GALADRIEL RUMORED
ANDY SERKIS – GOLLUM RUMORED

Unknown Casting or Voice Talent

Balin
Bifur
Nori
Bert
Tom
William
Beorn
Elvenking
Master of Lake-town
Bard
Dain
Eagles
Spiders Etc..

Hammock Parties
11-05-2010, 06:53 PM
What is this Gandalf "rumored" shit.

I would blow Ian McKellen if it meant he would appear in this movie.

HolyHandgernade
11-06-2010, 01:54 PM
What is this Gandalf "rumored" shit.

I would blow Ian McKellen if it meant he would appear in this movie.

I just think it means they can't confirm it yet, contract negotiations, or they just want to announce the new characters before introducing the established ones. There was time Ian was saying they needed to get something done or he would be unavailable, but he is also really excited to reprise the role.

HolyHandgernade
11-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Hobbit Movie Q&A

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/the-hobbit/hobbitfaq/

Highlights:

Ian is officially Gandalf again; Andy Serkis will probably be Gollum though he hasn't signed his contract yet.

Stories added not fleshed out in the book:

- backstory of Thrain, Thorin’s father

- Beorn

- Spiders

- The White Council

- Gandalf’s journeys to Dol Guldur

- The three trolls (Tom, Bert, William)

- Sauron ( including some of his history)

Hammock Parties
11-24-2010, 12:46 PM
- Gandalf’s journeys to Dol Guldur

Fuck yes.

In T.A. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Age) 2845, Thráin II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thr%C3%A1in_II), King of Durin's folk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_of_Durin%27s_folk), the last bearer of one of the seven Rings of Power (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rings_of_Power) given to the Dwarves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_%28Middle-earth%29), was captured by Sauron's forces and was kept at Dol Guldur, where he yielded his ring to Sauron under torture.<sup id="cite_ref-Thrain.27s_Torture_16-0" class="reference">[17] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dol_Guldur#cite_note-Thrain.27s_Torture-16)</sup><sup id="cite_ref-17" class="reference">[18] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dol_Guldur#cite_note-17)</sup>

Gandalf went again to Dol Guldur in T.A. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Age) 2850 to investigate his suspicions of the power that was rising, learned that this was indeed Sauron, and found Thráin in the dungeons close to death.<sup id="cite_ref-Thrain.27s_Torture_16-1" class="reference">[17] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dol_Guldur#cite_note-Thrain.27s_Torture-16)</sup> Thráin gave Gandalf a map and key to the Lonely Mountain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonely_Mountain), which Gandalf undertook to convey to Thorin Oakenshield (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorin_Oakenshield), Thráin's son and heir.<sup id="cite_ref-AppB-TA2850_18-0" class="reference">[19] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dol_Guldur#cite_note-AppB-TA2850-18)</sup> Again anticipating the Wise, Sauron left Dol Guldur for Mordor in T.A. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Age) 2941.

bowener
11-24-2010, 03:08 PM
I want to know who voices Smog!!!

Also, Smog better not look fucking retarded.

Tribal Warfare
01-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Peter Jackson Hospitalized, Hobbit Filming Delayed Again (http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Peter-Jackson-Hospitalized-Hobbit-Filming-Delayed-Again-22847.html?_r=true)

Maybe you thought that by surviving MGM bankruptcy and accusations of casting racism, solving politically motivated labor disputes, and eventually dragging a reluctant cast back to New Zealand the worst was over and now The Hobbit could march smartly into production and from there into theaters. If so, you were wrong. Here’s another problem for the already difficulty plagued production: Peter Jackson’s health.

Stuff reports that Peter Jackson checked into a hospital with a perforated ulcer. He underwent surgery and is now resting comfortably. It sounds like he’s going to be ok but, as confirmed by a publicist working with The Hobbit production, it will cause “a slight delay to the start of filming” on the movie. Forget the movie though, what is making this film doing to Peter Jackson’s wellbeing?

He’s ok for now but some doctors believe that physical stress increases the risk of developing ulcers like the one Jackson suffered from. For the past year, Peter Jackson has looked nothing but stressed, and The Hobbit has been the cause of it. He didn’t want to direct it, but was sort of forced into it, and once he was plopped into the middle of it, was immediately under assault from all sides as at every turn the project threatened to crumble around him. That has to take a toll on you eventually. Maybe this was why he didn’t want to direct it in the first place. We all really want to see The Hobbit but, take care Peter. You’ve already given us three amazing Middle Earth movies, if that’s all you’ve got in you, then that’s all you’ve got.

Hammock Parties
01-28-2011, 04:00 PM
If he dies, he dies.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BDgcc5Sif3k" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties
03-31-2011, 08:49 AM
And we're off. Minor costume changes for Gandalf.

http://www.mckellen.com/cinema/hobbit-movie/110331.htm

Principal photography of The Hobbit began on 21 March, without me.

Meanwhile, all the characters have been having screen-tests, so that the effect of make-up and costume can be assessed through the camera lens, before shooting begins in earnest and it's too late for corrections.

I’m very sorry to have missed, the other sunny day, the first mass emergence from their trailers and make-up chairs, of not only our 13 heroic dwarves but also their 13 small-scale doubles — shorter, near-identical versions of the principals. Looking at the designs, they are nothing like garden furniture (those are gnomes NOT dwarves). Everyone who saw the first parade of two Thoren Oakenshields plus 24 assorted dwarves was mightily impressed!

With Bilbo already filming, this was final proof that The Hobbit is well and truly underway.

The wizard still had to be tested. So, done up as Gandalf, I’m placed on a floor-mark and asked to walk toward the camera slowly, turning this way and that like a slo-mo model, so everyone can judge from her/his specialist point of view. Everyone includes the director Peter Jackson, who attends, without fuss, to every detail; his fellow-producers and screenplay-writers Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens; make-up chief Peter King; Richard Taylor (with an eye to WETA's sculpted nose); Ann Maskrey, the costume designer.

The original costume I wore in LOTR hangs rather mournfully on a stand by the camera. I can’t wear it in The Hobbit, because it has been noted “of historic status.” Ann has made two changes which few may notice but please me because they revert to Tolkien’s introduction in Fellowship of the Ring, where he mentions a silver scarf and black boots.

In the film, a scarf appeared just once, tied to Gandalf's cart at Hobbiton but oddly not thereafter. I now have a substantial, magic-looking silvery scarf to wear and act with and perhaps find some part of its own to play. I've already twisted it into a stylish turban. And, as per JRR Tolkien, below the familiar gown, a new pair of black boots may be spied. They will not look new of course. They are riding boots, the sort that can be pulled on in a hurry. Gandalf is often in a hurry. His previous boots were laced and needed Emma to get on and off. Not good for a wizard on the run. And they were grey not black.

All are nearly content — yet still the nose is not as it was or as it should be, all agree. Why? A book is consulted. A glorious book. I have it at home, with other LOTR treasures, the farewell present from Philippa and the Jackson’s ten years ago. It has 100 photographs, iconic and mischievous, a family album of people rather than places. Gandalf's nose features in a couple of full-page close-ups. What’s different to the way I look now?

Overnight at WETA, close to his Oscars, Richard, who is confident he knows the answer, models a new nose on the plaster cast of my face. It's a little longer on the bridge, less bulbous by the nostrils. Later in the day, Rick sticks it on while I snooze. One glance at the beak in the mirror and off we confidently go to show Peter, who's filming in a cave; Fran and Philippa too. Again the album is consulted. Smiles all round.

MOhillbilly
03-31-2011, 08:55 AM
nerd clap!

Hammock Parties
03-31-2011, 08:58 AM
*gasp*

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/033011freeman.jpg

http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/033011hobbit01.jpg

MOhillbilly
03-31-2011, 09:09 AM
This will be the first movie ive seen in a theater since Rambo.

Hammock Parties
04-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Today’s news.

It’s now been suggested that the wizard’s wig and beard look too scarily hairy. An aside from me has been noted and so Gandalf in The Hobbit is now going to be bald as Patrick Stewart. So much for the wig. Whether the beard is also to be cut, is not yet revealed.

— Ian McKellen, Wellington, NZ 1 April 2011

Urc Burry
04-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Today’s news.

It’s now been suggested that the wizard’s wig and beard look too scarily hairy. An aside from me has been noted and so Gandalf in The Hobbit is now going to be bald as Patrick Stewart. So much for the wig. Whether the beard is also to be cut, is not yet revealed.

— Ian McKellen, Wellington, NZ 1 April 2011

April Fools?

Sofa King
04-01-2011, 03:08 PM
This will be the first movie ive seen in a theater since Rambo.

good lord man! get outta the woods and take a non-crazy lady to a movie once in awhile.

Urc Burry
04-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Ok so obviously its been too long since i've read the book. (Read before LOTR and the movies)

Do Aragorn, Legolas, and Frodo play a big part? I honestly don't remember them in the book...except maybe Aragorn.

Hammock Parties
04-03-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm 99.9 percent sure they aren't even in the book. LOTR is 60 years after The Hobbit.

Urc Burry
04-03-2011, 11:38 PM
That's what I thought...just confused me when they have them scripted to act in the movie

HolyHandgernade
04-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Ok so obviously its been too long since i've read the book. (Read before LOTR and the movies)

Do Aragorn, Legolas, and Frodo play a big part? I honestly don't remember them in the book...except maybe Aragorn.

Aragorn is around 6 years old, so his role probably won't be in the movie unless you see some random kid alluded to. Elrond took him in after his parent's die. Legolas is the son of the Elf King that takes the dwarves prisoner. His character does not appear in the book, but it would not be unreasonable to have his character adapted to the film (elves live hundreds of years). Frodo is going to be narrating the beginning of the film. He is "responsible" for keeping Bilbo's recounting "There and Back Again" as well as his "Lord of the Rings". So he will "set the stage" but not be apart of the actual adventure that unfolds.

Tribal Warfare
04-04-2011, 10:11 PM
Aragorn is around 6 years old, so his role probably won't be in the movie unless you see some random kid alluded to. Elrond took him in after his parent's die. Legolas is the son of the Elf King that takes the dwarves prisoner. His character does not appear in the book, but it would not be unreasonable to have his character adapted to the film (elves live hundreds of years). Frodo is going to be narrating the beginning of the film. He is "responsible" for keeping Bilbo's recounting "There and Back Again" as well as his "Lord of the Rings". So he will "set the stage" but not be apart of the actual adventure that unfolds.

more like 60 years old

Hammock Parties
04-04-2011, 10:17 PM
more like 60 years old

Born 2931

The Hobbit takes place around 2941.

This is cool:

http://www.factmonster.com/spot/lotr-timeline4.html

Baby Lee
04-05-2011, 08:13 PM
FIGWIT LIVES!!!

http://www.avclub.com/articles/flight-of-the-conchords-bret-mckenzie-will-return,54134/

HolyHandgernade
04-05-2011, 08:16 PM
more like 60 years old

I think there was some confusion about which story I was referring to. He's between 6-10 in the Hobbit timeline, 60 something in the Lord of the Rings.

Amnorix
04-07-2011, 11:30 AM

None of them are in the book.

There was some discussion of whether Legolas would be in the movie, however, since it would be easy to add him. The Dwarves and Bilbo go to the land of Legolas's father, King Thranduil.

Amnorix
04-07-2011, 11:34 AM

Your statement is perfect except for the bold, which suggests a limited lifespan for Elves, though to hundreds of years. As you probably know, Elves do not die of old age. Elrond is some 3,000 years old or whatever at the time of the events of LoTR, while his mother-in-law, Galadriel, is the daughter of Finarfin, who woke up under the stars along with the first Elves. Galadriel is some 6,000 years old or whatever. Her father, Finarfin, lives yet in the West as well, among the oldest of Elves.

Among the characters in the book, only Galadriel (and the Wizards of course), saw the light of the Trees in Valinor, before they were destroyed by Ungoliant, ancestor (mother?) of Shelob at the behest of the evil God Morgoth, Sauron's master.

AustinChief
04-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Your statement is perfect except for the bold, which suggests a limited lifespan for Elves, though to hundreds of years. As you probably know, Elves do not die of old age. Elrond is some 3,000 years old or whatever at the time of the events of LoTR, while his mother-in-law, Galadriel, is the daughter of Finarfin, who woke up under the stars along with the first Elves. Galadriel is some 6,000 years old or whatever. Her father, Finarfin, lives yet in the West as well, among the oldest of Elves.

Among the characters in the book, only Galadriel (and the Wizards of course), saw the light of the Trees in Valinor, before they were destroyed by Ungoliant, ancestor (mother?) of Shelob at the behest of the evil God Morgoth, Sauron's master.

<geek> Close, but Finarfin was actually the son of Finwe who woke up under the stars among the firstborn.
Also, Cirdan the Shipwright is actually older than Galadriel (and Glorfindel who may or may not be the same Glorfindel who also is about the same age as Galadriel) and Tom Bombadil is oldest of them all but of course isn't an elf.
</geek>

Lzen
04-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Man, you're such a nerd.

:p

So, how's this thing looking? I loved the LOTR trilogy.

Urc Burry
04-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Man, you're such a nerd.

LOTR almost seems impossible to top... I'm hoping for the best though

RustShack
04-07-2011, 03:28 PM
If Aragorn is 87 in LOTR, and the Hobbit is 60 years before LOTR... hold on let me get a calculator.

AustinChief
04-07-2011, 03:40 PM
If Aragorn is 87 in LOTR, and the Hobbit is 60 years before LOTR... hold on let me get a calculator.

According to this timeline http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Arda#Third_Age

Aragorn is 10 during the Hobbit... Aragorn is 70 at the START of LOTR which occurs 60 years after the beginning of the Hobbit... but he was 87 by the time Frodo leaves the Shire .. Frodo kinda just hangs out for 17 years between the first chapter and second chapters

crispystl
04-07-2011, 06:36 PM

OK I'm gonna need some kush for this one.

Amnorix
04-07-2011, 07:13 PM
<GEEK> Close, but Finarfin was actually the son of Finwe who woke up under the stars among the firstborn.
Also, Cirdan the Shipwright is actually older than Galadriel (and Glorfindel who may or may not be the same Glorfindel who also is about the same age as Galadriel) and Tom Bombadil is oldest of them all but of course isn't an elf.
</GEEK>

Ah crap. Need to reread Silmarillion. Been too long. I didn't state whether Galadriel or Cirdan is the oldest Elf in Middle Earth. I don't believe Cirdan is among the first born either, and I'm not sure we have any way to tell whether he or Galadriel is older. What is pretty clear is that any difference in age between the two is so nominal at this point as to be fairly irrelevant, I think, as compared to Elrond, who is much younger than both.

Can't reconcile the Glorfindel situation, as you know.

Amnorix
04-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Man, you're such a nerd.

Yeah, though AC is right. I forgot that Finarfin is son of Finwe, along with Fingolfin and, of course, Feanor. No idea why I blanked on that. I damn well knew Feanor was her uncle etc. :banghead:

Amnorix
04-07-2011, 07:21 PM
According to this timeline http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Arda#Third_Age

Aragorn is 10 during the Hobbit... Aragorn is 70 at the START of LOTR which occurs 60 years after the beginning of the Hobbit... but he was 87 by the time Frodo leaves the Shire .. Frodo kinda just hangs out for 17 years between the first chapter and second chapters

The movies not only change the timeline of events from teh books (though not in a way that is all that important), it also makes it very hard to fathom how long the trip to Mordor etc. takes.

Just for everyone's benefit -- as you say, there is a long pause between Bilbo giving the Ring to Frodo and Frodo's departing the Shire. Many years in fact. Bilbo gives the Ring to Frodo on his "eleventy-first" birthday (111). When Bilbo meets Frodo as they head to the Havens, Bilbo notes that he has passed the Old Took as the oldest Hobbit known, so at that point he's, err, 130 or 131, so it's 19 years from the start of the events in the book to the end.

AustinChief
04-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Ah crap. Need to reread Silmarillion. Been too long. I didn't state whether Galadriel or Cirdan is the oldest Elf in Middle Earth. I don't believe Cirdan is among the first born either, and I'm not sure we have any way to tell whether he or Galadriel is older. What is pretty clear is that any difference in age between the two is so nominal at this point as to be fairly irrelevant, I think, as compared to Elrond, who is much younger than both.

Can't reconcile the Glorfindel situation, as you know.

Yeah I can't remember where it is but there is something that places Cirdan around 300+ years older than Galadriel but as you said.. not a big difference.

ok we have officially outed ourselves as geeks ...

TrickyNicky
04-12-2011, 07:56 PM
THE HOBBIT is being shot at 48 fps 3D!
Published on: Apr 11, 2011 9:20:26 PM CDT

Hey folks, Harry here...

Golly geewhilikers! Wow. Can't believe THE HOBBIT is at 48 frames per second & 3D. I mean, I can - cuz I know that James Cameron said it was happening - and James Cameron is always right & undebatable. Because it is in JC that we trust. But now that Peter Jackson has FaceBooked About it, with pictures and everything - we're at the beginning of the very real change in cinema.

I find myself wildly curious to see what Roger Ebert is going to say about this - because Roger Ebert has been one of the most vocal proponents about upping the frame rate for cinema - for... well, since he first saw ShowScan decades ago - I've seen the tests - they're astonishing. The stuff of dreams. It's still 35mm, but you're seeing twice as much with every second. The blurring begins to evaporate entirely - and holy shit it is amazing. Peter and Andrew Lesnie are really laying groundwork with THE HOBBIT - and I can't even imagine how amazing this is going to look.

Gollum at 48 fps 3D - suddenly there'll be no more reasons for drugs ever - because this is gonna be real without the need for the poisons to ever touch a system. So what does this mean for us?

Well - there's no telling whether or not 48 fps will become any kind of standard based upon this film... but we all know that each of these HOBBIT features will gross over a Billion Dollars world wide... If it happens to go AVATAR nuts - we'll see alot of the big event films headed in this direction. Suddenly - I can imagine the need for something above Blu-Ray and the Television systems we currently have. I mean - if we end up at 60 fps or higher - the Internet will have to get a lot faster for Netflix.

We're in for something amazing in our theaters. Yet another reason to dream of THE HOBBIT - oh - and in Peter's post he mentions the impending possibility of new Production Diaries! CAN NOT WAIT!!!

discus

Sounds like this is the next step to making 3D worthwhile.

keg in kc
04-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Jackson's put out his first video diary:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150223186041807&oid=141884481557&comments

Fish
05-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Sup bitches.......

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/3168/gandalf3dglasses6962092.jpg

Tribal Warfare
05-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Sup bitches.......

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/3168/gandalf3dglasses6962092.jpg

Terminator Gandalf

Hammock Parties
05-12-2011, 07:10 PM
oh my god

And there's another wizard in town, preparing to make his appearance as Radagast the Brown, the eccentric friend of Gandalf's, played by Sylvester McCoy who was last in Wellington in 2007, King Lear's Fool in the Royal Shakespeare production in which I was his nuncle, now Sylvester's nick-name for me. This week he has been trying out his make-up and costume. At the prospect of our scenes together, Nuncle couldn't be happier.

Hammock Parties
05-19-2011, 01:12 AM
STEPHEN FRY is going to be in THE HOBBIT

http://www.facebook.com/notes/peter-jackson/casting-news-for-the-hobbit/10150257180211558

Some more HOBBIT casting news today. As we near the end of our first shooting block (we have a break in less than three weeks to get some editing and visual effects work done, plus prepare for very big scenes coming up), we are looking at characters featuring in sequences that take place a little later in the story.

We are thrilled to confirm that Stephen Fry will be playing The Master of Laketown. I've known Stephen for several years, and we're developing a DAMBUSTERS movie together. In addition to his writing skills, he's a terrific actor and will create a very memorable Master for us.

The Master's conniving civil servant, Alfrid will be played by Ryan Gage. Ryan is a great young actor who we originally cast in a small role, but we liked him so much, we promoted him to the much larger Alfrid part.

Last, and certainly not least, is Conan Stevens, who will be playing an Orc called Azog (Orcs are never called Roger or Dennis for some strange reason). And yes that's his name—Conan! Isn't that cool? Azog is played by Conan! Here's a photo of Conan and I together... I'm pretty tall, probably at least 6'5" or 6'6" I would guess, so that gives you some clue how tall Conan is! You can learn all about him at www.conanstevens.com.

Buck
05-19-2011, 01:16 AM
That's like perfect casting right there.

Hammock Parties
05-19-2011, 01:17 AM
In other news, looks to me like Peter Jackson is getting fat again. ALL IS RIGHT IN THE WORLD

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/230195_10150257181011558_141884481557_9176109_2621771_n.jpg

Buck
05-19-2011, 01:19 AM
I wish Stephen Fry would read to me every night before I went to sleep. I bet it would make sleeping much better.

Lzen
05-19-2011, 10:08 PM
No fucking way. If Peter Jackson is 6 and a half feet tall then Conan is at least 7 and a half to 8 feet tall.

AustinChief
05-19-2011, 10:21 PM
No fucking way. If Peter Jackson is 6 and a half feet tall then Conan is at least 7 and a half to 8 feet tall.

Yeah, PJ is 5'5"... think he was just joshin

Taco John
05-21-2011, 12:27 AM
Ah crap. Need to reread Silmarillion. Been too long.

That book was the dryest read since the old testament. I got through it, but I sure wouldn't want to do it again.

Fish
05-21-2011, 01:27 AM
Hobbit Watch....

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/5844/jewelryfotrwatchfrodo27.jpg

Fish
05-31-2011, 02:30 PM
As previously rumored (http://www.iwatchstuff.com/2011/03/hobbit-titles-probably-reveale.php), the first film has been assigned the puberty pamphlet-esque subtitle An Unexpected Journey, and is set to come out December 14, 2012. Its follow-up will take the original Tolkien subtitle, There And Back Again, and is being released a year later, Dec. 13, 2013. Happy nerdy, high fantasy Christmas!

Hammock Parties
06-02-2011, 07:39 AM
lol

In fact to celebrate the start of these 20 questions, I'll show you an exclusive photo of the White Council planning the attack on Dol Guldur! Even if you don't want to be hit with spoilers, you should still take a look. For the first image of Gandalf, Elrond and Galadriel brandishing an array of fearsome Elvish weapons, CLICK HERE!

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/whitecouncil.jpg

HolyHandgernade
06-16-2011, 09:21 PM
The role of Bard has been cast:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/06/16/45198-deadline-com-report-luke-evans-cast-as-bard/

HolyHandgernade
06-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Voice of Smaug and The Necromancer:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/06/17/45214-deadline-com-exclusive-benedict-cumberbatch-voicing-smaug-and-the-necromancer/

58kcfan89
06-18-2011, 01:26 AM
Hadn't seen this posted. Can't friggin' wait. Not a huge fan of 3D, but if I have faith in anyone, it's Jackson.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tzubEQek900" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties
06-24-2011, 04:37 AM
JIZZ

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/MARTIN-FREEMAN-Hobbit_610.jpg

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Hobbit-Ian-Mckellan_610.jpg

http://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/peter-jackson-3.jpg

HolyHandgernade
07-13-2011, 01:32 PM
There be dwarves!

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/movies/blogs/the-hitlist-blog.aspx?feat=2001455c-fe15-47c0-9c93-321e454c7f80

http://media.social.s-msn.com/images/blogs/00290065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_00000065-06d3-0000-0000-000000000000_20110712161810_HBT-DWF-003550.jpg

Fili and Kili, brothers, nephews of Thorin Oakenshield, sons of Thorin's sister, Dis

http://media.social.s-msn.com/images/blogs/00290065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_00000065-06d3-0000-0000-000000000000_20110712153150_HBT-DWF-001c_550.jpg

Nori, Ori and Dori, brothers

http://media.social.s-msn.com/images/blogs/00290065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_00000065-06d3-0000-0000-000000000000_20110712153412_HBT-DWF-002_550.jpg

Oin and Gloin, brothers, distant cousins of Thorin; Gloin is father to Gimli

RustShack
07-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Gloin would be Gimlis father correct?

I know its been said before.. but could someone tell me what characters from the LOTR's will be in these Hobbit movies?

HolyHandgernade
07-13-2011, 04:42 PM
Gloin would be Gimlis father correct?

I know its been said before.. but could someone tell me what characters from the LOTR's will be in these Hobbit movies?

Correct, Gimli is the son of Gloin, who would be alive at this time period but is not in the book or movie.

The only charaters that repeat in both the book and movie are Bilbo, Gollum, Gandalf and Elrond, if memory serves correct.

The movie, however, will also incorporate the back story not elaborated in the Hobbit concerning the White Council, so you will see members from that group appear also:

Saruman
Galadriel
Celeborn

Legalos will be in the movie version even though he does not appear in the book but his presence is not a stretch as his father, Tharanduil takes a major role in the story.

The younger Bilbo will be played by Martin Freeman. There will be a narrative introductory, however, by Frodo and the elder Bilbo (Ian Holmes) to set the scene.

Arwen could appear in the background at Rivendell, but Liv Tyler has of yet not been asked to reprise her role.

I think that covers most of the possibilities, but I could have forgotten someone. Aragorn is not born during this timeline.

HolyHandgernade
07-14-2011, 06:44 AM
http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/118/1181874/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-20110713111341600-000.jpg

Bombur, Bofur, Bifur, brothers, coal miners

Fish
07-14-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm loving the different Dwarven weapons they've shown....

Hammock Parties
07-15-2011, 03:35 AM
Peter Jackson shits fantasy diamonds.

HolyHandgernade
07-15-2011, 07:36 AM
http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Balin-and-Dwalin.jpg

Balin and Dwalin, brothers, close relatives of Thorin, Dwarf Lords; Balin attempts to re-establish the colony at Moria featured in the Fellowship of the Ring

HolyHandgernade
07-17-2011, 10:42 AM
http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/thorin-richardarmitage.jpg

Thorin Oakenshield, son of Thráin, son of Thrór, King Under the Mountain, descendent of the royal line of Durin

HolyHandgernade
07-17-2011, 10:45 AM
http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/thorin2-1024x768.jpg

The Company

mnchiefsguy
07-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Awesome photos. Can't wait to see this one on the big screen.

WV
07-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

HolyHandgernade
07-18-2011, 04:10 PM
http://www-images.theonering.org/torwp/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/DwarvesFinal.jpg

Hammock Parties
07-19-2011, 08:04 AM
click, friend, and enter

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/3739/dwarvesfinalbilbov2.jpg

Hammock Parties
07-21-2011, 01:28 AM
I'm jizzing buckets.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tqk5c_i7LQU?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t47TXEi0No0?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hammock Parties
07-22-2011, 03:51 PM
MOTHER
OF
GOD

http://i.imgur.com/PHOWS.jpg

Hammock Parties
07-22-2011, 03:53 PM
DORINORIORIBOFURBIFURBOMBURTHORINOINGLOINBALINDWALINKILIFILI

mnchiefsguy
07-23-2011, 09:48 AM
It can't get it here fast enough. Looks like it is going to be every bit as good as LOTR was.

Hammock Parties
01-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Diary #5

http://i42.tinypic.com/1zqfp08.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/ifo58o.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dY1JmJw8EBg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fish
01-13-2012, 02:31 PM
That was fascinating...

QuikSsurfer
01-13-2012, 02:48 PM
That really made me feel good in pants.

Hammock Parties
01-13-2012, 02:50 PM
The fact that are leaving Hobbiton intact is amazing.

Huge $$$$$ for NZ

Tribal Warfare
01-27-2012, 04:45 AM
Evangeline Lilly Reveals Character Details Regarding THE HOBBIT (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/01/25/evangeline-lilly-real-steel-hobbit/)

Speaking of small and little, I’d be remiss not to bring up The Hobbit. You’re playing a new character named Tauriel, who’s a Mirkwood elf, and that would lead me to believe that she is a warrior of some kind. Did you have to learn archery and swordplay?
Yes, she is a warrior. She’s actually the head of the Elven guard. She’s the big shot in the army. So she knows how to wield any weapon, but the primary weapons that she uses are a bow and arrow and two daggers. And she’s lethal and deadly. You definitely wouldn’t want to be caught in a dark alley next to Tauriel.

So then Tauriel must be involved with the dwarves being captured…
I think basically what you’re asking is if she’s in the film very much. She’s not in the first film very much. She comes into the first film near the end, and has a very small part to play. Her role in the second film is much more involved. Although, I have to say, when I first read the scripts and took the job, she had a lot less going on in the second film. I think the role is becoming a bit more demanding than I had expected it to be. There’s a lot more for me to do now, which is a lot of fun, but it’s a little more pressure.

Does she play a large part in the Battle of Five Armies?
Oh, I don’t know. We haven’t shot that yet. I still have to go back for five more months of filming.

How many months have you been there already?
On and off for the past six months. It’s a two-year shoot in total for both films, and my contract had me blocked off for about a year. I come in and out of New Zealand throughout that year.

How has the experience of shooting in New Zealand compared to the multiple years you spent in Hawaii on Lost?
In some ways, it feels really familiar. I’m from Canada, and New Zealand feels like you took all the best bits of Canada and squished them onto a tiny island like Hawaii. I was absolutely blown away by the beauty of the South Island. I seem to be landing really great locations on a lot of my work. I hope that continues, knock on wood.

Tribal Warfare
02-09-2012, 11:58 PM
'The Hobbit' Rounds Out Cast with Billy Connolly in Key Role (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hobbit-rounds-cast-billy-connolly-288267?_r=true)

Scottish actor Billy Connolly is joining the cast of Peter Jackson’s two-part adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit.

In the films, Connolly will play Dain Ironfoot, a great dwarf warrior and cousin of Thorin Oakenshield.

“We could not think of a more fitting actor to play Dain Ironfoot, the staunchest and toughest of Dwarves, than Billy Connelly, the Big Yin himself," Jackson said in a statement to THR. "With Billy stepping into this role, the cast of The Hobbit is now complete. We can't wait to see him on the Battlefield!"

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, will hit theaters December 14 from Warner Bros./New Line and MGM. The second film, The Hobbit: There and Back Again, will follow on December 13, 2013.

The cast includes Ian McKellen, who returns to his Lord of the Rings role as Gandalf the Grey, and Martin Freeman stars as Bilbo Baggins. Cate Blanchett, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee, Hugo Weaving, Elijah Wood, Orlando Bloom and Andy Serkis are reprising their roles from Rings.

Jackson is scripting both movies with Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro. Jackson is also producing the films, together with Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham. Executive producers are Alan Horn, Ken Kamins, Toby Emmerich and Zane Weiner, with Boyens serving as co-producer.