PDA

View Full Version : Life Wow,this crap is too close to home

Nzoner
05-06-2009, 09:31 AM
I've known this guy for 15 years or more and am finding this really hard to believe.He's done business with me over the years and we had developed quite a good relationship.I'm shocked and hoping there's no way it's true.

Contract killing suspected in cashier's slaying (http://www.stjoenews.net/news/2009/may/06/contract-killing-suspected-in-cashiers-slaying/)

A St. Joseph restaurant owner is accused of paying $2,000 to kill a 23-year-old cashier whose body was found Saturday on an Andrew County gravel road.

Antonio Onate, 44, was charged Tuesday with first-degree murder for allegedly ordering the contract kill after he had a disagreement with Antonio Jose Maravilla-Vargas, Friends said Mr. Maravilla-Vargas was an amateur musician/DJ who played during special events at Mr. Onate’s restaurant, La Mesa Mexican Restaurant.

Authorities did not say what the argument was over. In court papers filed Tuesday in Andrew County, Mr. Onate allegedly “had a problem with” the victim and went to a friend, who said he would “take care of (his) problem.”

Mr. Onate allegedly paid $1,000 on April 27 and another $1,000 on May 2. The friend allegedly called Mr. Onate on Sunday and “told him his problem was taken care of and he could see it on the news,” according to court documents.

On Saturday evening, authorities received a phone call stating two men were dumping a body on a county road just north of Amazonia, Mo. Mr. Maravilla-Vargas’ body was found at the scene. Authorities said he was shot execution-style with at least one bullet to the head.

Mr. Onate is being held without bond at the Andrew County Jail. Law enforcement officers are looking for two men wanted for questioning. At his home in an affluent St. Joseph neighborhood on Tuesday, Mr. Onate’s sister-in-law said the family had no comment.

Last week, the News-Press interviewed Mr. Onate as part of a profile about La Mesa Mexican Restaurant making strides after being shut down for food health violations last summer. Mr. Onate said renovations were planned.

In 1993, Mr. Onate and his brother, Francisco, opened the restaurant at 3730 Mitchell Ave. Along with three other brothers, they operate eight other La Mesa restaurants in Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska.

Friends and roommates described Mr. Maravilla-Vargas as a quiet and hardworking man who moved to St. Joseph three years ago from Mexico. Sometime this week, his father, Eugenio Maravilla, hopes to take the body back to their hometown of Puebla, Mexico. Through an interpreter, he said his son joined him in St. Joseph to do construction work.

“Since he didn’t drink, do drugs and was responsible, I didn’t worry about him,” Mr. Maravilla said. “He wanted to work hard, find a decent job and build his home in Mexico.”

For the past six months, Mr. Maravilla-Vargas worked as a cashier at La Palma Tienda Mexicana, an ethnic grocery store on King Hill Avenue. Owner Gloria Sandoval said he had received computer repair training in Mexico and was adept at sending money orders for customers.

“If he was three minutes late, he would call,” Ms. Sandoval said. “How can anyone do that to a decent kid?”

Francisco Ochoa, a friend, said Mr. Maravilla-Vargas loved computers, his guitar and singing in the church choir.

“Is ($2,000) all that Antonio’s life was worth? It’s just disgusting,” Mr. Ochoa said. “How can you have a problem with someone who no one has a problem with?”

The three Mexican grocery stores in St. Joseph will have donation cups at the cash register this week to help his father cover funeral costs and travel to Mexico.

Law officers are seeking a burgundy Jeep Cherokee or a Dodge Durango seen near the site of the slaying. They are also seeking a blue, two-door, 2001 Pontiac Grand Am that the victim drove. Anyone with information is asked to call the TIPS hot line, 238-TIPS.

Katipan
05-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Fuck. I think I would have just fired the guy.

Pablo
05-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Holy hell.

Contract killing in St. Joe now?

I really liked La Mesa too.

KCChiefsMan
05-06-2009, 09:36 AM
it really doesn't surprise me. I have zero faith in mankind.

Donger
05-06-2009, 09:40 AM
I wonder if the victim was here legally?

Redrum_69
05-06-2009, 09:41 AM
You can take the Mexican out of Mexico...but you cant take the Mexico out of the Mexican.

Consistent1
You might just be next to get whacked for posting this here.

Skip Towne

Yep, mankind sucks.

gblowfish
05-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Dude got whacked on Cinco De Mayo?
That's not very festive...

KC native

Wow, you read that article and that's the first thing that comes to you mind?

KC native
You can take the Mexican out of Mexico...but you cant take the Mexico out of the Mexican.

WTF is that supposed to mean?

Pablo
05-06-2009, 09:43 AM
You can take the Mexican out of Mexico...but you cant take the Mexico out of the Mexican.We got a pork processing plant here a few years ago. The south end looks like Little Mexico in some spots.

I really think this is the first murder I've heard of so far, though.

Frazod
I'll bet you're glad you never pissed him off.

Donger

No, it was probably the eighth or ninth thing.

KC native
05-06-2009, 09:44 AM
No, it was probably the eighth or ninth thing.

Ok, just making sure you had something resembling a heart.

Pablo
05-06-2009, 09:44 AM
WTF is that supposed to mean?Probably exactly what you think it means.

Deberg_1990
05-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Contract killing in St. Joe now?

Can anyone account for Demonpez's whereabouts last Sat?

Donger
05-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Ok, just making sure you had something resembling a heart.

Sure I do. It doesn't bleed as much as yours, however.

Pablo
Can anyone account for Demonpez's whereabouts last Sat?I imagine he was safe and sound, checking out NES Excite Bike from the local Sack n Save, while enjoying cheap chili dogs...or playing ski-ball with Snugga.

KC native
Sure I do. It doesn't bleed as much as yours, however.

ROFL Touche!

Buck
This is weird, I reside in a city called La Mesa.

KC native
05-06-2009, 09:48 AM
This is weird, I reside in a city called La Mesa.

Well, I used to live in a duplex named La Mesa Duplexes

Saulbadguy
05-06-2009, 09:49 AM
My next door neighbor is awaiting sentencing for harboring illegal immigrants, he is a restaurant owner.

teedubya
05-06-2009, 09:50 AM
That is crazy shit.

Consistent1
05-06-2009, 09:51 AM
I imagine he was safe and sound, checking out NES Excite Bike from the local Sack n Save, while enjoying cheap chili dogs...or playing ski-ball with Snugga.

He prolly used the "Ram Jam" as his finsher a couple times too.

Donger
My next door neighbor is awaiting sentencing for harboring illegal immigrants, he is a restaurant owner.

That's horrible. Who else is going to bus tables and wash dishes? Americans?

BigCatDaddy
We got a pork processing plant here a few years ago. The south end looks like Little Mexico in some spots.

I really think this is the first murder I've heard of so far, though.

There was an illegal that killed his illegal roomate downtown last year. They didn't work at Triumph though, just roofers I believe.

Pablo
05-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Side story:

I was at the courthouse, paying for a speeding ticket. There was a mexican guy in front of me, probably early 20's, and he couldn't speak English. He was cited for speeding and driving without a license. He had a bunch of cash on him, and was trying to just pay for his fines and forgo the court route.

The woman at the counter told him he would have to appear before the judge for the driver's lisence violation, but he could pay for the speeding ticket at the counter. To which he responded something like "I don't speak English". The woman got kinda frustrated and had some other woman help him out, and all she did was say the exact same thing except much slower, like that was going to help the situation. And the guy still didn't get it.

So, she got a little blue flier out and handed it to him, and told him that it was for the Spanish Interpreter day at the Courthouse. Basically, if you don't speak English, they just have a day for you to come in and relay back and forth to the judge via interpreter.

Here's the kicker: THE PAMPHLET SAYS 'SPANISH INTERPRETER' IN ENGLISH, AND IS WRITTEN ENTIRELY IN ENGLISH. At least from what I could see of it. No Spanish, just a pamphlet written in English for the benefit of those who can't speak English.

Nzoner
05-06-2009, 09:54 AM
You might just be next to get whacked for posting this here.

If I do I'm sure your post will be one of the first leads the police follow.

Consistent1
05-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Do those proxy things work? Shit?

KC native
05-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Do those proxy things work? Shit?

:doh!: Not now.

Redrum_69
05-06-2009, 10:01 AM
WTF is that supposed to mean?

Lets see...

Lots of illegal mexicans here doing shit jobs that I'd never do..which is great..I guess..unless you are an american who likes roofing and gardening and bussing tables. Now on that note...there are some mexicans here that are grateful to be working here instead of in Mexico because the pay is better and on Saturdays they take their trucks and trailers in the mid afternoon to pick up leftover items at garage sales or on the curb...again no problem with that either..theres enough carrion to go around.

But there are some mexicans here..illegally...working..and committing crimes against honest citizens..and then after committing a crime trying to escape back over the border. these are the mexicans that are giving other mexicans a bad name. My comment was made towards to those types of people. Because of all the violence down in Mexico with all the drug traffic and kidnappings. It just seems that alot of crimes these days involving a person of Mexican decent involves that person being here illegally.

DaFace
05-06-2009, 10:02 AM
I don't mean to be insensitive to the subject or anything, but is $2,000 really the going rate for offing somebody? I mean, if I'm risking my life in jail, it's gonna take a hell of a lot more than $2,000 to make it worth my while.

Katipan
05-06-2009, 10:03 AM
If the kid had been here illegally you'd think it would have been cheaper to just call La Migra.

Redrum_69
05-06-2009, 10:04 AM
I don't mean to be insensitive to the subject or anything, but is $2,000 really the going rate for offing somebody? I mean, if I'm risking my life in jail, it's gonna take a hell of a lot more than $2,000 to make it worth my while.

THIS...and that

Nzoner
05-06-2009, 10:04 AM
I'll bet you're glad you never pissed him off.

In the 15 years I've known him I've never once seen him get angry or raise his voice,hell he's the coach of his kids' soccer team and always came across to me as a great family man.I know that doesn't proove anything but if it turns out to be true color me shocked.

Donger
05-06-2009, 10:05 AM

Indeed. It probably didn't even cover the cost of the bullet.

Consistent1
05-06-2009, 10:05 AM
:doh!: Not now.

Well, then Hootie didn't really move to Champaign and broke into my house and posted this shit because from all the crap he says I know he "lived" within walking distance of my place.

Otter
05-06-2009, 10:15 AM

Hope they fry him.

beach tribe
05-06-2009, 10:16 AM

And you obviously can't take the stupid out of you. I have an ex friend who is in prison now for trying to hire someone to kill a person who snitched on her for selling drugs. She is a white American BTW.

Katipan
05-06-2009, 10:18 AM
And you obviously can't take the stupid out of you. I have an ex friend who is in prison now for trying to hire someone to kill a person who snitched on her for selling drugs. She is a white American BTW.

Snitch.

beach tribe
05-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Snitch.

Yep. I hate snitches. But they're supposed to get stitches. Not body bags.

Redrum_69
05-06-2009, 10:20 AM

She probably got pissed when they asked her "Are you a Mexican or a Mexicant?"

Otter
05-06-2009, 10:21 AM
And who the heck is the guy committing 1st degree murder for $2000?

Something tells me this guy wasn't the creme de la creme of contract killers.

EDIT: I see this has already been touched on in the gap between my original post and now

beach tribe
Lets see...

Lots of illegal mexicans here doing shit jobs that I'd never do..which is great..I guess..unless you are an american who likes roofing and gardening and bussing tables. Now on that note...there are some mexicans here that are grateful to be working here instead of in Mexico because the pay is better and on Saturdays they take their trucks and trailers in the mid afternoon to pick up leftover items at garage sales or on the curb...again no problem with that either..theres enough carrion to go around.

But there are some mexicans here..illegally...working..and committing crimes against honest citizens..and then after committing a crime trying to escape back over the border. these are the mexicans that are giving other mexicans a bad name. My comment was made towards to those types of people. Because of all the violence down in Mexico with all the drug traffic and kidnappings. It just seems that alot of crimes these days involving a person of Mexican decent involves that person being here illegally.
Your comment really doesn't come off as meaning this.

KC native
Lets see...

Perhaps you should word your first post a little better because it appears as if you are trying to say all Mexicans are violent and will kill people no matter where they are.

Chiefnj2
In the 15 years I've known him I've never once seen him get angry or raise his voice,hell he's the coach of his kids' soccer team and always came across to me as a great family man.I know that doesn't proove anything but if it turns out to be true color me shocked.

That's why kids on his team don't miss goals. All the parents thought little Timmy and his family moved to Maine. It was really the wide penalty shot that did them in.

Redrum_69
05-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Perhaps you should word your first post a little better because it appears as if you are trying to say all Mexicans are violent and will kill people no matter where they are.

just the ones here illegally.

EyePod
05-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Wow, only 2k to off a guy? This is proof that our economy is in the shitter...

Katipan
05-06-2009, 10:26 AM

You took away my funny.

See, I was calling YOU a snitch.

Dammit.

Demonpenz
05-06-2009, 10:26 AM
I thought the guy that ran "video jungle" was nice then he killed his step mom. In this story, is this the same guy that always rolled with a decent looking blonde and opened up belt brewing company into a mexican dance place?

KC native
05-06-2009, 10:27 AM
just the ones here illegally.

I'm not going to turn this into an immigration thread so I'm going to say this one thing and that's it. Illegal immigrants commit crimes at the same rate as every other ethnic group in this country.

Katipan
05-06-2009, 10:28 AM

no no no. he's saying that all the crimes are commited by Mexicans here illegally because the good ones don't do that stuff, they just pick lettuce and do farm work!

Katipan
05-06-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm not going to turn this into an immigration thread so I'm going to say this one thing and that's it. Illegal immigrants commit crimes at the same rate as every other ethnic group in this country.

When is the last fucking time you heard of a Filipino doing anything besides laundry?

Donger
Illegal immigrants commit crimes at the same rate as every other ethnic group in this country.

Considering 100% of them are committing a crime just by being here, I doubt the accuracy of your assertion.

Redrum_69
no no no. he's saying that all the crimes are commited by Mexicans here illegally because the good ones don't do that stuff, they just pick lettuce and do farm work!

THis!2

Chiefnj2

They probably commit more crimes since they are here illegally to begin with. That's one strike against them.

Otter
05-06-2009, 10:30 AM

When did "illegal immigrant" become an ethnicity? Let the grown ups talk KC Native.

Seeing as their already 1 in the hole from being here I"ll have to go ahead and disagree with you.

vailpass

100% of illegal immigrants are criminals. Are you saying that everyone else is 100% criminal as well?

KC native
Considering 100% of them are committing a crime just by being here, I doubt the accuracy of your assertion.

:rolleyes: Other than being in the country illegally.

beach tribe
You took away my funny.

See, I was calling YOU a snitch.

Dammit.

Oh. whoops. Wasn't me though. I hate snitches. Unless they're snitching on murderers for murdering.

Demonpenz
05-06-2009, 10:31 AM
100% of other ethnic groups make up roughly 30 precent of our precentage of Illegal immigrants. If you calculate that over 162 games, you should probably bring in mayhay instead of farnsworth

KC native
05-06-2009, 10:32 AM
When did "illegal immigrant" become an ethnicity? Let the grown ups talk KC Native.

Seeing as their already 1 in the hole from being here I"ll have to go ahead and disagree with you.

100% of illegal immigrants are criminals. Are you saying that everyone else is 100% criminal as well?

I can see the echo chamber is in full effect today.

vailpass
05-06-2009, 10:33 AM
:rolleyes: Other than being in the country illegally.

But you don't count that as a crime? So we get to choose which laws to follow and which laws we can break? Or is that privelege reserved for Mexicans?

Demonpenz
05-06-2009, 10:34 AM

My favorite mexican will always be rici recardo. Why couldn't they go back to being those kind fo good mexicans '

Congratulations Demonpenz for breaking 25,000 posts! You clearly have too much time on your hands...

DaFace
05-06-2009, 10:34 AM
I have my doubts that nzoner intended this to be a discussion about illegal immigration, and I'd prefer not to move this to DC. Hint, hint.

Redrum_69
05-06-2009, 10:35 AM

LOL...

you being from fort worth I would have thought you would have a different view.

All I can say is...

"REMEMBER THE ALAMO"

But in your neck of the woods its prolly...

"recuerde el alamo"

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-06-2009, 10:36 AM
I feel bad for the worker's family.

Demonpenz
05-06-2009, 10:37 AM
The whole contract killing and family man is surprised me, but I wouldn't be shocked if any of my friends either got shot or was shot during a poker game at holts hall

mr saturday night umm special

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-06-2009, 10:37 AM
LOL...

you being from fort worth I would have thought you would have a different view.

All I can say is...

"REMEMBER THE ALAMO"

But in your neck of the woods its prolly...

"recuerde el alamo"

Fuck Texas and the Alamo.

vailpass
05-06-2009, 10:39 AM
I have my doubts that nzoner intended this to be a discussion about illegal immigration, and I'd prefer not to move this to DC. Hint, hint.

As long as the KCNative joker is around if you are going to move every thread about illegal's to DC you will be busier than a set of jumper cables at a Mexican wedding.

Redrum_69
05-06-2009, 10:39 AM
**** Texas and the Alamo.

Its not Texas anymore. Its just a huge border town....that looks eerily similar to the outline of Texas. hell, another year or two and that area will be called "North Mexico"

Iowanian
05-06-2009, 10:41 AM
CINCO DE MUERTO!!!

Demonpenz
lol at royals commentator, that fly ball was higher than mexicans on may 5th

Katipan
I am a rampant jay walker.

Katipan
05-06-2009, 10:42 AM

No problem. One monkeys throwing poop derail coming up.

Coogs
05-06-2009, 10:43 AM
Let's see.
Dude pays 2 grand to have "friend" kill employee.
Dude in jail.
Friend still on the run.
Friend must have loose lips.
Dude should have spent another grand or so to keep friend from talking. :shrug:

Katipan
My favorite mexican will always be rici recardo. Why couldn't they go back to being those kind fo good mexicans '

Congratulations Demonpenz for breaking 25,000 posts! You clearly have too much time on your hands...

I would have thought you'd be more of a Geraldo Rico Suave kind of guy.

Otter
The only person who I know that killed someone is also a restaurant owner (actually part owner in this case). I wonder if it's as bad as a post office job seeing these correlations in occupations and crime.

Anyway, long story short - some ex-boyfriend of his newly married wife kept harassing the both of them quiet badly. Phone calls, showing up at the house, threats, broken windows, slashed tires.

One night the ex showed up drunk at this guys house threatening to "kick his ass" he wound up with a 15 round clip of 9mm ammo emptied into him. Died on the sidewalk outside the house in seconds.

To this day I try to stress "One or two good shots" - it's kinda hard to defend someone when the guy looks like swiss cheese no matter how much he deserved it.

Really nice guy too and is married now for over 10 years with kids. I hung out with quiet a big and still do when I see him. Obviously two very different situations but the restaurant owner thing rang a bell.

Donger
This thread sure took an odd turn.

Katipan
05-06-2009, 10:44 AM
As long as the KCNative joker is around if you are going to move every thread about illegal's to DC you will be busier than a set of jumper cables at a Mexican wedding.

Why would it be busy? For a wedding party of 50 they'd still only need one car.

Demonpenz
05-06-2009, 10:46 AM
I would have thought you'd be more of a Geraldo Rico Suave kind of guy.

honeslty geraldo pisses me off. He prepetuated the stereotype of mexicans being promiscous, drinking alot, and doing the running man in the break down of party to go vol 2

Iowanian
I need to save up about $10K and get one of those killer coupons from the St Jo sack n save flier.

Is there a double coupon tuesday or anything?

Demonpenz
Why would it be busy? For a wedding party of 50 they'd still only need one car.

I take it you don't have kids..

Demonpenz
05-06-2009, 10:47 AM
I need to save up about $10K and get one of those killer coupons from the St Jo sack n save flier.

they aren't any killers coupons but I ususally get 10 dollars off in the coupons in the catholic key

Redrum_69
05-06-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm so glad the Chiefs didnt draft Mark Sanchez.

He'd always be watching for the La Migra in the stands...

loochy
05-06-2009, 10:48 AM

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine today?

Redrum_69
05-06-2009, 10:49 AM

I'm sure theres a taco tuesday somewhere in st. jo...

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-06-2009, 10:50 AM
If the American right pursued the destruction of the Fed Reserve with the same zeal as borders and illegals, we might actually have a Country again.

C'mon FUX News lackeys; make yourselves USEFUL in this life for once!

Redrum_69
05-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Wow,this crap is too... 05-06-2009 10:27 AM 88TG88 die

thanks for the sentiments 88TG88. Are you cheering for Atlanta now too?

Otter
05-06-2009, 10:54 AM

They must have found that guy on CraigsList.

Iowanian
05-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I wonder if the guy would come to chiefsplanet and accept casino cash.....for IP bans.

GoHuge
05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
As they say you don't really know anybody but yourself. You can know somebody all your life and think you've got a good read on who they are. Next thing you know they're on the news for eating babies.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-06-2009, 12:03 PM
I wonder if the guy would come to chiefsplanet and accept casino cash.....for IP bans.

You couldn't afford him.

Katipan
05-06-2009, 12:04 PM
You couldn't afford him.

LMAO

Nzoner
05-06-2009, 04:33 PM
I thought the guy that ran "video jungle" was nice then he killed his step mom. In this story, is this the same guy that always rolled with a decent looking blonde and opened up belt brewing company into a mexican dance place?

No,last I heard he was already in prison

Cash
05-06-2009, 04:40 PM
I'd love to know the background on this story. If anyone were to find out what went on behind the scenes please post.

Gonzo
05-06-2009, 04:50 PM
La mesa restaurants suck anyway. we have several in Omaha and they're all dog shit (IMO)
Posted via Mobile Device

Fairplay
05-06-2009, 06:47 PM
I wonder how many people get killed for hire and don't get busted?

The world may never know.

RINGLEADER
05-06-2009, 06:51 PM

Was thinking the same thing. Like it matters? Dude was in the wrong place and the wrong time with the wrong people...

CrazyPhuD
05-06-2009, 07:36 PM

Really I always thought the age old adage was snitches get ditches?:sulk:

CrazyPhuD
05-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Wow,this crap is too... 05-06-2009 10:27 AM 88TG88 die

thanks for the sentiments 88TG88. Are you cheering for Atlanta now too?

You should have said 'that will be $2000 please casino cash accepted.'

Nzoner
05-07-2009, 07:17 AM
Story here (http://stjoenews.net/news/2009/may/07/4-arrests-murder-inquiry/)

4 arrests in murder inquiry
by Ahmad Safi
Thursday, May 7, 2009

An apparent love triangle among a restaurant owner, his wife and a 23-year-old guitarist she knew in the church choir may have led to a gruesome contract killing in rural Andrew County on Saturday.

St. Patrick Church choir director Louis Dominguez said rumors of the two in a romantic relationship swirled, but he did not believe them. Authorities said the husband, Antonio Onate, 44, allegedly paid $2,000 to kill Antonio Jose Maravilla-Vargas.

On Wednesday, law officers arrested Enrique Hernandez-Hernandez, 25, at his home in the 600 block of South 10th Street. Like Mr. Onate, he is charged with first-degree murder and is being held without bond.

Two men and a woman were also taken into custody for questioning Wednesday during a SWAT team operation on the South Side.

In court papers filed Wednesday in Andrew County, Mr. Hernandez-Hernandez said Mr. Onate told him about two weeks ago that he “had a problem” with the victim and paid him to find people to kill him. Mr. Hernandez-Hernandez allegedly found two people at a bar.

The hit men began watching Mr. Maravilla-Vargas, including at his job as a cashier at La Palma Tienda Mexicana, an ethnic grocery store. On Saturday, Mr. Hernandez-Hernandez said he was called by the hit men.

They picked him up in a sport-utility vehicle near El Rey del Taco, 1711 Mitchell Ave. Mr. Maravilla-Vargas was in the back seat, according to court papers.

Mr. Hernandez-Hernandez told authorities that he was told to drive the hit men’s vehicle. He was given driving instructions by a Hispanic male in the back seat who he knew as “Sleepy.”

At some point while he was behind the wheel, “Sleepy” shot the victim as another Hispanic male stabbed him, according to court documents. They dumped his body as they drove down a gravel road in Andrew County.

Mr. Hernandez-Hernandez said he was then told to return to the body. The hit men got out of the vehicle and shot the victim again, court documents said.

The trio returned to St. Joseph. Mr. Hernandez-Hernandez said the hit men told him that they would clean the SUV, but needed to get paid.

Andrew County Sheriff Bryan Atkins said the SUV seen near the scene of the slaying was a Nissan Pathfinder.

Authorities found the Nissan at about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday while executing a warrant at a home in the 200 block of Vassar Street.

Law officers arrested two men and a woman without incident. None had been charged late Wednesday, but charges are expected today.

Mr. Atkins said that “a love spat” existed between Mr. Onate and Mr. Maravilla-Vargas, but he would not elaborate.

Mr. Dominguez, the choir director, said Mr. Onate, his wife and Mr. Maravilla-Vargas worshipped at St. Patrick Church.

“They both were members of the choir. She sang and he played the guitar,” Mr. Dominguez, who is also a roommate to the victim, said through a translator. “They were just friends, but there was a rumor that they were having a relationship.”

"They both were members of the choir. She sang and he played the guitar,” Mr. Dominguez, who is also a roommate to the victim, said through a translator. “They were just friends, but there was a rumor that they were having a relationship.”

Mr. Dominguez said the rumor likely led to the “problem” Mr. Onate refers to with the victim in court documents. Mr. Onate owns La Mesa Mexican Restaurant, where the victim’s friends said he played during special events as an amateur musician/disk jockey.

At Mr. Onate’s home on Wednesday, his wife, Maria, said through her niece that she had no comment. Officials expect to release more information about relationship motives in the slaying today.

On Wednesday, authorities also found the victim’s 2001 Pontiac Grand Am at Applebee’s parking lot in St. Joseph. Mr. Atkins credited tips from the community and cooperation with area law enforcement agencies. He said no more arrests are expected as the investigation concludes.

A former La Mesa employee said Mr. Onate was arrested at his restaurant, which remained open on Wednesday. Mr. Hernandez-Hernandez was arrested late Tuesday.

Mr. Onate is in custody in the Andrew County Jail. Mr. Hernandez-Hernandez is being held at the Buchanan County Jail. Both men are being denied bond.

Mr. Maravilla-Vargas came to St. Joseph from Mexico three years ago, His body will be returned to his hometown of Pueblo on Friday. He was described as a quiet and hardworking man. His father, a local construction worker, said he cannot afford the travel and funeral costs.

Donations to help send the body home can be made at all three of the Mexican grocery stores or can be sent to Nodaway Valley Bank, 6304 King Hill Ave., St. Joseph, MO 64504. Make checks to Memorial Fund for Antonio Maravilla-Vargas, Account Number 1238834.

Bwana
05-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Times must be hard in that area if you can have someone wacked for $2000. During normal times, that would only get someone kneecapped.

blaise
05-07-2009, 07:41 AM
I've known two people that killed someone. One was a guy in my high school named Mike who I knew pretty well. His father was a police officer. One night when we were in 8th grade he was showing his dad's gun to a family friend and shot him dead. It was weird seeing him at school after that. I can still remember when he came back to school (he was gone for a few days), we were all standing in the hallway waiting for the morning bell and this kid named Leslie Luther started doing like the fake pistols thing with his fingers at Mike and laughing.
Another guy I knew really well, I actually went to Woodstock with him. Brad was his name. His girlfriend was sitting in a car outside a bar one night with her friends and he walked up and shot her twice and then shot himself. Messed up.

Chief Henry
05-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Human Life is being devalued on a daily basis.

Otter
05-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Times must be hard in that area if you can have someone wacked for $2000. During normal times, that would only get someone kneecapped.

No shit - 1st degree murder for $2000 - the must have found that guy standing on the hand rail of a bridge getting ready to do a swan dive

blaise
05-07-2009, 08:02 AM
For $2,000 you get a guy killed, but for $2,000 you don't get away with it.

Nzoner
05-07-2009, 08:14 AM

Yeah,when I first read the article I was thinking surely there was a misprint and they forgot a zero.

patteeu
05-07-2009, 08:32 AM
I understand that is how "problems" are resolved these days in Mexico. Shouldn't we be more tolerant of those with cultural differences?

Bwana
05-07-2009, 08:45 AM
I understand that is how "problems" are resolved these days in Mexico. Shouldn't we be more tolerant of those with cultural differences?

I would have to say no in this case. I think the gift of the latest flu strain is enough for now. :)

Katipan
05-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Human Life is being devalued on a daily basis.

Are you kidding me? People have been killing people for free for years.

jidar
05-07-2009, 08:54 AM

Hahaha. god.
Stereotypes and all that jazz...

patteeu
05-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Hahaha. god.
Stereotypes and all that jazz...

What do you think the odds are? Young guy, grew up in Mexico, here looking for work, hoping to build a home in Mexico, etc. I think they're pretty high.

el borracho
05-07-2009, 07:08 PM

No, we should all just jump to conclusions based on our own prejudices. I'll give you an example, "You know... when I first read the article I just knew, knew, that the killers would be church-going christians!" See? Isn't that fun?

patteeu
05-07-2009, 07:20 PM
No, we should all just jump to conclusions based on our own prejudices. I'll give you an example, "You know... when I first read the article I just knew, knew, that the killers would be church-going christians!" See? Isn't that fun?

I don't know how fun it was for you, but I've got to say that I didn't really get much out of it. :shrug:

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-07-2009, 07:59 PM

ROFL REP!

I don't know how fun it was for you, but I've got to say that I didn't really get much out of it. :shrug:

I got MUCH fun out of it.

kcxiv
05-07-2009, 08:02 PM

This is true, my family is from L.A and before that Mexico obviously. Lets just say, that there are some bad seeds in the family that have done suspect things. I had this one cousin, used to scare the living crap out of me as a kid. As i got older and they told me what he does, i understood why i was scared of him as a kid. lol

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-07-2009, 08:13 PM
This is true, my family is from L.A and before that Mexico obviously. Lets just say, that there are some bad seeds in the family that have done suspect things. I had this one cousin, used to scare the living crap out of me as a kid. As i got older and they told me what he does, i understood why i was scared of him as a kid. lol

I'll tell you what; the Mexican Mob is the largest and most dangerous gang in the world per authorities, but having lived and worked in the east side of KC( primarily Black )for over a decade, I was always impressed with how the west side( Hispanic )had fewer incidents, and how neighbors really looked out for each other. You rob/mug somebodies little 'ol Grandma over there, and you're fucking toast.:D:thumb:

DaFace
05-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Someone needs to clue me in about how Mexican last names work. How do you end up being "Mr. Hernandez Hernandez?"

el borracho
05-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Someone needs to clue me in about how Mexican last names work. How do you end up being "Mr. Hernandez Hernandez?"

Children carry the surname of both parents in Spanish-speaking parts of the world. In this case, both of his parents had the same surname prior to marriage.

Braincase
05-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Children carry the surname of both parents in Spanish-speaking parts of the world. In this case, both of his parents had the same surname prior to marriage.

So they were from the Mexican Ozarks?

el borracho
05-07-2009, 09:26 PM
So they were from the Mexican Ozarks?

I don't know... do they have more than 5 teeth between them? ;)

Dylan
05-07-2009, 09:31 PM
That's horrible. Who else is going to bus tables and wash dishes? Americans?

LOL

I knew this thread would be entertaining... and I'm on page one

Smed1065
05-07-2009, 09:53 PM
If the American right pursued the destruction of the Fed Reserve with the same zeal as borders and illegals, we might actually have a Country again.

C'mon FUX News lackeys; make yourselves USEFUL in this life for once!

OK they had 1 or 2 chances..
You think right? The Illegals. LOL

Country was decided by I am right not by laws, but what I sign.....................

Smed1065
05-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Story here (http://stjoenews.net/news/2009/may/07/4-arrests-murder-inquiry/)

4 arrests in murder inquiry
by Ahmad Safi
Thursday, May 7, 2009

An apparent love triangle among a restaurant owner, his wife and a 23-year-old guitarist she knew in the church choir may have led to a gruesome contract killing in rural Andrew County on Saturday.

St. Patrick Church choir director Louis Dominguez said rumors of the two in a romantic relationship swirled, but he did not believe them. Authorities said the husband, Antonio Onate, 44, allegedly paid $2,000 to kill Antonio Jose Maravilla-Vargas.

On Wednesday, law officers arrested Enrique Hernandez-Hernandez, 25, at his home in the 600 block of South 10th Street. Like Mr. Onate, he is charged with first-degree murder and is being held without bond.

Two men and a woman were also taken into custody for questioning Wednesday during a SWAT team operation on the South Side.

In court papers filed Wednesday in Andrew County, Mr. Hernandez-Hernandez said Mr. Onate told him about two weeks ago that he “had a problem” with the victim and paid him to find people to kill him. Mr. Hernandez-Hernandez allegedly found two people at a bar.

The hit men began watching Mr. Maravilla-Vargas, including at his job as a cashier at La Palma Tienda Mexicana, an ethnic grocery store. On Saturday, Mr. Hernandez-Hernandez said he was called by the hit men.

They picked him up in a sport-utility vehicle near El Rey del Taco, 1711 Mitchell Ave. Mr. Maravilla-Vargas was in the back seat, according to court papers.

Mr. Hernandez-Hernandez told authorities that he was told to drive the hit men’s vehicle. He was given driving instructions by a Hispanic male in the back seat who he knew as “Sleepy.”

At some point while he was behind the wheel, “Sleepy” shot the victim as another Hispanic male stabbed him, according to court documents. They dumped his body as they drove down a gravel road in Andrew County.

Mr. Hernandez-Hernandez said he was then told to return to the body. The hit men got out of the vehicle and shot the victim again, court documents said.

The trio returned to St. Joseph. Mr. Hernandez-Hernandez said the hit men told him that they would clean the SUV, but needed to get paid.

Andrew County Sheriff Bryan Atkins said the SUV seen near the scene of the slaying was a Nissan Pathfinder.

Authorities found the Nissan at about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday while executing a warrant at a home in the 200 block of Vassar Street.

Law officers arrested two men and a woman without incident. None had been charged late Wednesday, but charges are expected today.

Mr. Atkins said that “a love spat” existed between Mr. Onate and Mr. Maravilla-Vargas, but he would not elaborate.

Mr. Dominguez, the choir director, said Mr. Onate, his wife and Mr. Maravilla-Vargas worshipped at St. Patrick Church.

“They both were members of the choir. She sang and he played the guitar,” Mr. Dominguez, who is also a roommate to the victim, said through a translator. “They were just friends, but there was a rumor that they were having a relationship.”

"They both were members of the choir. She sang and he played the guitar,” Mr. Dominguez, who is also a roommate to the victim, said through a translator. “They were just friends, but there was a rumor that they were having a relationship.”

Mr. Dominguez said the rumor likely led to the “problem” Mr. Onate refers to with the victim in court documents. Mr. Onate owns La Mesa Mexican Restaurant, where the victim’s friends said he played during special events as an amateur musician/disk jockey.

At Mr. Onate’s home on Wednesday, his wife, Maria, said through her niece that she had no comment. Officials expect to release more information about relationship motives in the slaying today.

On Wednesday, authorities also found the victim’s 2001 Pontiac Grand Am at Applebee’s parking lot in St. Joseph. Mr. Atkins credited tips from the community and cooperation with area law enforcement agencies. He said no more arrests are expected as the investigation concludes.

A former La Mesa employee said Mr. Onate was arrested at his restaurant, which remained open on Wednesday. Mr. Hernandez-Hernandez was arrested late Tuesday.

Mr. Onate is in custody in the Andrew County Jail. Mr. Hernandez-Hernandez is being held at the Buchanan County Jail. Both men are being denied bond.

Mr. Maravilla-Vargas came to St. Joseph from Mexico three years ago, His body will be returned to his hometown of Pueblo on Friday. He was described as a quiet and hardworking man. His father, a local construction worker, said he cannot afford the travel and funeral costs.

Donations to help send the body home can be made at all three of the Mexican grocery stores or can be sent to Nodaway Valley Bank, 6304 King Hill Ave., St. Joseph, MO 64504. Make checks to Memorial Fund for Antonio Maravilla-Vargas, Account Number 1238834.

I warned you about 1 NFL fanatic is no match for 5 Nascar fanatics?

4 years ago and they won and we R rebuilding? Nice to hold true but whine?

LOL

2 years from now will be sweet!

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-07-2009, 10:19 PM
OK they had 1 or 2 chances..
You think right? The Illegals. LOL

Country was decided by I am right not by laws, but what I sign.....................

I warned you about 1 NFL fanatic is no match for 5 Nascar fanatics?

4 years ago and they won and we R rebuilding? Nice to hold true but whine?

LOL

2 years from now will be sweet!

Jesus fucking Christ, Smed; a PHD in Sanskrit couldn't decipher your gibberish!

You're entertaining in your own unique way though, I'll give ya' that.

Nzoner
05-08-2009, 09:11 AM
17 and 25 year old (http://www.stjoenews.net/news/2009/may/08/two-more-charged-slaying/)

Two more charged in slaying
Woman in custody released without charge

by Marshall White
Friday, May 8, 2009

SAVANNAH, Mo. — Two more men were charged with murder as law enforcement officers and the Andrew County prosecutor filed paperwork Thursday in an alleged contract killing.

Orlando Omar “Sleepy” Cruz, 25, is accused of firing a bullet into the back of Antonio Maravilla-Vargas’ head. Jose J. Quintero, 17, also is alleged to have been in the vehicle where the victim was slain at the time of the killing.

Both men were charged Thursday with first-degree murder and denied bond by Associate Circuit Judge Mike Ordnung.

According to friends of Mr. Maravilla-Vargas, there were rumors of a relationship between the 23-year-old guitarist and Maria Onate, the wife of Antonio Onate, a co-owner of La Mesa restaurant in St. Joseph. The two performed in the St. Patrick’s Church choir.

The alleged organizer, Mr. Onate, 44, was charged Tuesday with first-degree murder. Court papers allege Mr. Onate paid $2,000 to Enrique “Rico” Hernandez so that a problem — Mr. Maravilla-Vargas — could be resolved.

The body of Mr. Maravilla-Vargas was dumped on the side of a gravel road Saturday, where law enforcement officers found it.

According to a probable cause statement filed Thursday, Mr. Quintero stated that he entered a sport-utility vehicle Saturday with Mr. Cruz and Mr. Hernandez (whose middle name is also Hernandez). The three men allegedly picked up the victim with Mr. Hernandez driving.

Mr. Hernandez turned off Missouri Route T onto Andrew County Road No. 417, the document states. Mr. Cruz, who was sitting in a back seat, reportedly pulled out a pistol and shot Mr. Maravilla-Vargas in the back of the head. Then, Mr. Hernandez reportedly reached over and stabbed the victim.

Mr. Hernandez claims Mr. Quintero stabbed the victim, court papers state.

Documents in both men’s files point to Mr. Cruz, who officers have taken to an undisclosed location, as the shooter.

Mr. Hernandez also told investigators that a second shot was fired into the victim’s body as the SUV headed back to Missouri Route T. Court papers filed with Mr. Quintero’s case make no mention of a second shot.

Andrew County Sheriff Bryan Atkins declined to clear up any details about the slaying. Mr. Atkins did tell the News-Press that a woman taken into custody Wednesday with Mr. Quintero and Mr. Cruz was a girlfriend of one of the men. She was questioned and released without being charged.

No details about the autopsy and the number of shots fired have been released.

Mr. Hernandez, Mr. Cruz and Mr. Quintero remain in jail without bond. No arraignment date for the three had been set Thursday. Courthouses are closed today for a state holiday.

Mr. Onate is scheduled to return to court May 19.

vailpass
05-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I'll tell you what; the Mexican Mob is the largest and most dangerous gang in the world per authorities, but having lived and worked in the east side of KC( primarily Black )for over a decade, I was always impressed with how the west side( Hispanic )had fewer incidents, and how neighbors really looked out for each other. You rob/mug somebodies little 'ol Grandma over there, and you're ****ing toast.:D:thumb:

Wrong.
MS13.
Antifreeze.

Demonpenz
05-08-2009, 09:31 AM
i am surprised this whole thing didn't happen in skidmore

Coogs
05-08-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm not real smart in these areas, but wouldn't you think that when Onate is charged on Tuesday that maybe Orlando and Jose might have considered leaving town for a little while. Like maybe the rest of their lives?
:shrug:

Iowanian
05-08-2009, 09:54 AM
I want to go down to the courthouse and start a soccer chant when these guys are brought in...

"joooooooooose josejose....joooooooooooooooooooooooo seeeeeeeeeeee, jooseeeeeeeeee....jooooseeeeeee josejosejoseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

vailpass
05-08-2009, 09:55 AM
I'm not real smart in these areas, but wouldn't you think that when Onate is charged on Tuesday that maybe Orlando and Jose might have considered leaving town for a little while. Like maybe the rest of their lives?
:shrug:

Yep. That's what they do here in Phoenix. Bastard illegals commit crimes then scurry back across the border to lay low in their roach holes for a while.

Donger
05-08-2009, 09:56 AM
(Not) living la vida loca!

ClevelandBronco
05-08-2009, 10:08 AM

It's probably the recession. Check the unemployment figures...

Iowanian
05-08-2009, 10:26 AM
I'll bet I could get someone's thumb broken for a fist full of KFC coupons.

Skip Towne
05-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I'll bet I could get someone's thumb broken for a fist full of KFC coupons.

Look! Multi-thread humor.

Hydrae
05-08-2009, 11:04 AM

Desi Arnaz was Cuban, not Mexican.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Wrong.
MS13.
Antifreeze.

Congratulations; you're now smart enough to date Smed!

Chaunceythe3rd
05-08-2009, 03:37 PM
I don't know... do they have more than 5 teeth between them? ;)

You know what you call a Kentucky woman with two teeth? "Beauty Queen"

Katipan
05-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Look! Multi-thread humor.

Dammit now I have to research.