PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bowe to have breakout year?

T-post Tom
05-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Jones-Drew, Bowe on list of 2009 fantasy breakout candidates
By Michael Fabiano | NFL.com

Success in the world of fantasy football is all about the numbers. If your fantasy players exceed their statistical expectations, chances are you'll be in the mix for that ultimate goal -- a league championship. Just ask anyone who drafted Drew Brees, DeAngelo Williams or Andre Johnson in 2008.

That talented trio each put up the best numbers of their NFL careers in what turned out to be breakout seasons. Brees threw for an amazing 5,069 yards and 34 touchdowns, while Williams scored 20 total touchdowns despite the presence of rookie Jonathan Stewart. Johnson finished with career bests in receptions (115) and yards (1,575).

So which players have the best chance to follow in their footsteps and take their game to the next statistical level and produce monster numbers in 2009?

Let's take a look at 10 breakout candidates to target in drafts.

Kansas City Chiefs, Dwayne Bowe, WR
Bowe has shown flashes of brilliance in his first two NFL seasons, but 2009 should be his best in terms of statistical achievements. He's the top option in what will be a pass-laden offense under new coach Todd Haley, who has helped past wideouts like Keyshawn Johnson and Marty Booker put up career numbers. Tony Gonzalez is also on of the offensive picture, so Bowe should put up No. 1 fantasy wideout totals.

Miami Dolphins, Ronnie Brown, RB
Brown was on his way to a breakout season in 2007, but a torn ACL forced him to miss the final nine games and put a stop to his rise to fantasy stardom. He now has one full season under his belt since the reconstructive procedure on his knee, so Brown should be set to play a much greater role in the Dolphins' offense. He'll be a high-end No. 2 fantasy back with the potential to be more in 2009.

St. Louis Rams, Steven Jackson, RB
Jackson broke out with 90 receptions, 2,334 scrimmage yards and 10 total touchdowns in 2006, but his last two seasons have been huge disappointments. As a result, fantasy leaguers should consider this a reminder that Jackson seems poised for his second huge season. The Rams have greatly improved their offensive line and will lean on the run. Barring an injury, look for Jackson's numbers to swell.

The rest are here: http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/story?id=09000d5d81029c99&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

KCrockaholic
05-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Its probably true. The 3rd year for a WR is usually a breakout year. Bowe has the talent to put up 1,300 with 10 TD's. Now...those damn hands...

wasi
05-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Its probably true. The 3rd year for a WR is usually a breakout year. Bowe has the talent to put up 1,300 with 10 TD's. Now...those damn hands...

I thought I read something on the planet about the fact Bowe is lazy.

chiefs1111
05-07-2009, 05:23 AM
sure he will if he learns to hang on to the ball

PhillyChiefFan
05-07-2009, 05:29 AM

yea, I'd say work on catching the ball first, then worry about the breakout numbers.

Pioli Zombie
05-07-2009, 05:37 AM
This week Haley threw out a compliment to Bowe.
Bowe dropped it.
Posted via Mobile Device

PhillyChiefFan
05-07-2009, 05:42 AM
This week Haley threw out a compliment to Bowe.
Bowe dropped it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ba dum tshhhhh :D

InChiefsHeaven
05-07-2009, 05:43 AM
Imagine the numbers he'd have had without all the drops. He'd have been a pro-bowler for sure. Dude needs to spend a ton of time with the jugs machine...

kcxiv
05-07-2009, 05:58 AM
He does not need to spend time with the juggs machine. I mean it doesnt hurt, but he has good hands, he lacks concentration at times, because he wants to run first.

Look at some of them difficult catches he made. You dont make them catches if you have bad hands. He just have to catch then run. Its all a mental thing he has to get over.

InChiefsHeaven
05-07-2009, 06:08 AM
He does not need to spend time with the juggs machine. I mean it doesnt hurt, but he has good hands, he lacks concentration at times, because he wants to run first.

Look at some of them difficult catches he made. You dont make them catches if you have bad hands. He just have to catch then run. Its all a mental thing he has to get over.

That's a good point. Sometimes, he made the most insane catches, then drops the gimme for a big gain...it's more mental discipline than anything...

Tribal Warfare
05-07-2009, 06:42 AM
The 3rd year for a WR is usually a breakout year.

That can be said for any player due to getting acclimated to the NFL.

htismaqe
05-07-2009, 06:53 AM

Yep.

He just needs the proper motivation. And being THE man may go a long way to providing that.

suds79
05-07-2009, 06:57 AM

Agreed.

I expect big things out of Bowe this year.

1 - Better QB
2 - No Tony which means more balls for the WRs (I've always felt that in part of Tony being so good in demanding balls is why we could never find a #2 WR)
3 - He has Hayley now. Haley helped push Fitzgerald from a really good WR to the best in the NFL in making him a complete.

I think all signs are there for Bowe to make his mark this year.

PhillyChiefFan
05-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Agreed.

I expect big things out of Bowe this year.

1 - Better QB
2 - No Tony which means more balls for the WRs (I've always felt that in part of Tony being so good in demanding balls is why we could never find a #2 WR)
3 - He has Hayley now. Haley helped push Fitzgerald from a really good WR to the best in the NFL in making him a complete.

I think all signs are there for Bowe to make his mark this year.

That said though, we need to find a #2 WR since TG isn't there to demand catches. Otherwise, Bowe will be in double coverage every down.

This is why I would love to have Boldin...though I don't think it will ever happen.

PhillyChiefFan
05-07-2009, 07:37 AM
IMO, Boldin and Fitzgerald played off eachother's abilities, and knew that the defenses respected both of the WR's.

When Boldin was down Breaston did a good job at keeping double coverage off Fitz, we don't have the luxury right now.

Right now we have a *potentially* great WR, with no legit #2, and now no Pro Bowl TE.