PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Star Trek Discussion Thread For Those Who Have Seen It - WITH SPOILERS

Pages : [1] 2

Frazod
05-08-2009, 09:15 AM
I hate farting around with the spoiler button, so consider this thread to be one big spoiler. If you haven't seen the movie and want to, stop reading now.

You have been warned.

So, what did you like, or not like? What annoyed you?

Mainly I really enjoyed it. I liked the cast and the ship. Special effects were great. Nimoy was awesome.

Some things that bothered me:

1. I thought Nero was a weak villain. Also, are we really supposed to believe that they just sat there waiting for Spock for 25 years? That's the single dumbest aspect of the movie. Were they playing cards? Knitting? That was dumb. Of course, Star Trek is generally good for a couple of head-scratchers like that.

2. Rather convenient that Scott just happened to be stationed on the ice planet. That was lame. But I do like the way Pegg portrays him.

3. I still can't quite believe they destroyed Vulcan. That's.... damn. I guess we won't be getting a remake of Amok Time.

Vegas_Dave
05-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Yeah, the whole destrcution of Vulcan really makes me question this one more than anything else. How does that fit in the Star Trek cannon?

Frazod
05-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Yeah, the whole destrcution of Vulcan really makes me question this one more than anything else. How does that fit in the Star Trek cannon?

Well, at the end Spock did say that the survivors were forming a new colony, so I guess they can pass that off as Vulcan.

But the old canon is out the window now. They can do anything or kill off anybody they want to. And of course Kirk is now captain of the Enterprise at age 25 instead of age 34, so that gives them an even wider berth.

I guess that was another thing that bothered me - yeah, he saved Earth, but giving a kid with 3 years enlisted experience command of a ship? Again, I know they had to get the ball rolling, but....

And I hope the next one has Klingons and more one-on-one ship battles.

munkey
05-08-2009, 09:37 AM
But the old canon is out the window now. They can do anything or kill off anybody they want to. And of course Kirk is now captain of the Enterprise at age 25 instead of age 34, so that gives them an even wider berth.

You know I really didn't even think about that watching the movie...I guess I just expected him to Captain Kirk in the end.

Over all I really enjoyed the movie and it reminded me why we still have theaters as this was the first time in a long time I felt I hadn't wasted my time or money.

I hope Terminator can hold it's own but until it comes out I would expect Trek to make a killing in the next couple of weeks.

munkey
05-08-2009, 09:41 AM

1. I thought Nero was a weak villain. Also, are we really supposed to believe that they just sat there waiting for Spock for 25 years? That's the single dumbest aspect of the movie. Were they playing cards? Knitting? That was dumb. Of course, Star Trek is generally good for a couple of head-scratchers like that.

Nero reminded of a villain you would see in the next generation series. I suppose they could have made him a little more sinister but I overall liked the fact they concentrated on the main characters instead.

Fish
05-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Nero was very disappointing. They just didn't even bother with his backstory or anything else that would make you care about him. Very flat character for a super villain. Some of the best super villains are characters you can sorta relate to, but they didn't give us anything with Nero.

The entire "Abandon Kirk on the ice world, conveniently run into Future Spock in an ice cave, more conveniently run into Scotty, beam Kirk and Scotty back to Enterprise" part was probably the most irritating.

And if they kicked Kirk off the ship for insubordination, how is it that he can sneak his way back onto the ship, trick Spock, and get his position right back after breaking the rules? His position in the chain of command should have been voided when he got into trouble...

The relationship between Spock and Uhura bothered me too. I'm not sure exactly why.

Frazod
05-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Nero was very disappointing. They just didn't even bother with his backstory or anything else that would make you care about him. Very flat character for a super villain. Some of the best super villains are characters you can sorta relate to, but they didn't give us anything with Nero.

The entire "Abandon Kirk on the ice world, conveniently run into Future Spock in an ice cave, more conveniently run into Scotty, beam Kirk and Scotty back to Enterprise" part was probably the most irritating.

And if they kicked Kirk off the ship for insubordination, how is it that he can sneak his way back onto the ship, trick Spock, and get his position right back after breaking the rules? His position in the chain of command should have been voided when he got into trouble...

The relationship between Spock and Uhura bothered me too. I'm not sure exactly why.

You needed to pick up the graphic novel/glorified comic book to get Nero's backstory. Knowing that it made his character a bit more understandable, but not much.

And personally, I liked the Spock/Uhura thing, because it surprised me. The commercials led us to believe that it was Kirk and Uhura that would hook up. Nice bait and switch on Abrams' part. :D

MOhillbilly
05-08-2009, 09:51 AM
how did vulcan go kapoot?

Frazod
05-08-2009, 10:00 AM
how did vulcan go kapoot?

The bad guy created a black hole at the planet's core. They show it in one of the commercials.

underEJ
05-08-2009, 10:06 AM
I loved the Spock/Uhura thing. I never thought I'd say this in a million years, but... Spock was dead sexy.

keg in kc
05-08-2009, 12:39 PM
I thought it was awesome. And I'm not somebody that thought they could ever pull it off.

Even when Nimoy was onscreen with Quinto, there wasn't a moment in the movie where I thought "this isn't Kirk, Spock, Bones, Uhura, Scotty, Sulu, Chekov, et al". They were who they were, and it never distracted. Quinto in particular surprised me, I don't like him as Syler, but he pulled this role off as well as anyone could have. And Chris Pine is Kirk now. Hell, he was Kirk the first second he was onscreen. Maybe not exactly the same Kirk as Shatner, but he's Kirk in this alternate reality they created.

The action was great, but there were some very moving scenes, giving the film an emotional core.

The only weakness for me were the events in the future. I didn't/don't plan to read the graphic novel, and although I know they had it all planned out, the destruction of Romulus and the conflict between Nero and Classic Spock just felt like an afterthought that they didn't put a whole lot of effort into. Which is where I think the motivational problems with Nero come from. And the convenient placement of Spock and Scotty on the ice planet irked me minutely (along with the rock ewok). But even with that, I think the movie was great. Not good. Great. So good I'm going to see it again.

Oh, and the part at the end when Kirk gets his commission, they lost a number of ships (and captains), and he did prove his muster in combat. I looked at it as accepting his field promotion to first officer, and then he slid into the chair after Pike's promotion. Maybe pushing it, but hey, it's what we wanted to see at the end of the movie, Kirk in the Captain's chair on the Enterprise.

Frazod
05-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Don't get me wrong - I really enjoyed the movie. The stuff they got right far outweighed the plot holes and stupid shit.

Pants
05-08-2009, 01:08 PM
The whole time travel aspect killed the whole story for me and the fact that they trivialized it only did further damage. To a ST outsider like me, it's an enjoyable flick and that's about it.

kysirsoze
05-08-2009, 02:20 PM
The whole time travel aspect killed the whole story for me and the fact that they trivialized it only did further damage. To a ST outsider like me, it's an enjoyable flick and that's about it.

The thing that saved the time travel aspect, was that they didn't travel back in time to the same reality. When they went through the black hole, they entered an alternate reality. (This was covered briefly in that scene on the bridge.) In this way it doesn't wreck continuity. It lets them reboot in the context of the rest of the films and shows.

Wrasse
05-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Just watched it and enjoyed it. I loved the characters and people cast in the roles of the old crew.

Maybe I'm slow here...but how did Nero know where/WHEN to find Spock? If I'm understanding this...the mining ship with Nero AND Spock and his little ship get sucked through the singularity and the mining ship gets transported back in time (thus the alternate time line)...but Spock comes out 25 years later in that same alternate time line? Nero sits and waits...snags Spock and his ship...gathers the blobby singularity goo and wreaks havoc (after stranding old Spock on Hoth 2.0)?

I feel like I'm missing something or have my facts wrong. Please advise. :)

Good show though...just got done seeing it...just trying to get the time lines correct.

Frazod
05-08-2009, 03:15 PM
Just watched it and enjoyed it. I loved the characters and people cast in the roles of the old crew.

Maybe I'm slow here...but how did Nero know where/WHEN to find Spock? If I'm understanding this...the mining ship with Nero AND Spock and his little ship get sucked through the singularity and the mining ship gets transported back in time (thus the alternate time line)...but Spock comes out 25 years later in that same alternate time line? Nero sits and waits...snags Spock and his ship...gathers the blobby singularity goo and wreaks havoc (after stranding old Spock on Hoth 2.0)?

Good show though...just got done seeing it...just trying to get the time lines correct.

No, I think you got it right. He sat there pissed off doing nothing for.... 25 years.

And to think, when I was in the Navy I started going stir-crazy if I didn't get off the ship after a couple of weeks. :spock:

Wrasse
05-08-2009, 03:23 PM
No, I think you got it right. He sat there pissed off doing nothing for.... 25 years.

And to think, when I was in the Navy I started going stir-crazy if I didn't get off the ship after a couple of weeks. :spock:
LOL

Yea...so are we to believe that one of their romulan engineers did some calculation judging when each ship entered the black hole to know at what point in time/space they'd end up?

After the old mind meld the action started again and I wanted to hit rewind and see that sequence once again.

Frazod
05-08-2009, 03:25 PM
LOL

Yea...so are we to believe that one of their romulan engineers did some calculation judging when each ship entered the black hole to know at what point in time/space they'd end up?

After the old mind meld the action started again and I wanted to hit rewind and see that sequence once again.

I guess that's possible - perhaps they calculated when Spock would arrive and went into suspended animation. That would certainly make much more sense. Perhaps this will be better explained when the DVD comes out.

DaneMcCloud
05-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Honestly, I was disappointed.

I thought the choice of actors was excellent. Chris Pine was amazing as Kirk. I always thought Kirk was a badass, not like he was in this film. The constant womanizing and smart-ass remarks were a highlight. The others were outstanding as well, particularly Karl Urban. He absolutely nailed McCoy, which was something I didn't think possible.

The action sequences were awesome and I loved Sulu's blade. The Kobiashi Maru bit was hilarious. Much funnier than I expected (along with the "creator" of the program).

I guess what really bummed me out was the villain. I didn't mind the idea of the Romulans, I'm just sick of time travel in all of the post-TOS episodes and movies. SICK of it. It's just so tired. I know that Abrams & Co. needed something to divert the story line from the TOS to "reboot" the franchise, I just think that they could have found a different plot device to do so.

For that fact alone, I only give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Frazod
05-08-2009, 03:59 PM
The guy that did Chekov was awesome. Looked nothing like Koenig, but the character and voice were dead on.

DaneMcCloud
05-08-2009, 04:01 PM
The guy that did Chekov was awesome. Looked nothing like Koenig, but the character and voice were dead on.

He was great. There wasn't one single bad casting choice made for this movie, which is rare.

Gravedigger
05-08-2009, 07:08 PM
From a person who saw like 2 of the originals and Star Trek Generations, I found that this was an excellent movie. This movie was how remakes should be, with the Star Wars franchise you could see the aging philosophies of Lucas but with Abrams at the helm you really saw what a new and upcoming director could do with a classic franchise.

Nero wasn't the best bad guy, his look was the only thing that made him a bad guy. He was just out for revenge but considering his motive and the fact that his planet Rhomulus wasn't destroyed until way into the future you could see him possibly trying to help save his planet instead of just making spock suffer. Other than that the drill, red matter, black hole plan was a sound way of revenge. I would've liked to have seen spock fight Nero hand to hand but alas.

I loved the cast, everyone seemed right in place with the only exception being sulu's voice just not being able to be replicated. So for me it seemed as though Cho just could'nt pull the part off and he was not much more than just an asian american fill in. The fencing combat line was really funny but other than that he just seemed meh. I thought Chris Pine nailed Kirk, and so did the guy who played spock. I'll admit I raised an eyebrow when I knew that Sean of the Dead would be playing Scottie, but I'll also admit he was really impressive as him. The worst casting decision I thought was Winona Ryder as Spock's mom, she just didn't look like she could or would be spock's mom and they could've picked a better actress for the part. Also Tyler Perry as the head of the starfleet was kind of awkward as well.

Other than that like I said excellent movie definetly an A, and I am gonna go see it in IMAX for my second time no doubt.

Deberg_1990
05-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Just got back. I enjoyed it very much. Bravo to Abrams for taking a stale franchise and breathing new life into it.

Personally i think the characters of the original series are still the best so he did the right thing in going back to them.

Pine was perfect. Dude is a star. He looks and acts nothing like Shatner, but he did a very good job of evoking the character of Kirk.

Everyone else was nails as well. Perfect castiing.

I thought Bana was good as Nero, but as most have said already, he was probably the weak point of the movie or a lack of backstory.

I look forward to more movies with this cast and creative team.

Valiant
05-08-2009, 09:36 PM
I hate farting around with the spoiler button, so consider this thread to be one big spoiler. If you haven't seen the movie and want to, stop reading now.

You have been warned.

Mainly I really enjoyed it. I liked the cast and the ship. Special effects were great. Nimoy was awesome.

2. Rather convenient that Scott just happened to be stationed on the ice planet. That was lame. But I do like the way Pegg portrays him.

3. I still can't quite believe they destroyed Vulcan. That's.... damn. I guess we won't be getting a remake of Amok Time.

Loved the movie, the cast was amazing..

1. Nero was not a weak villain, they just ended with a whimper.. My problem is spock on the planet.. Uhh wtf, there was a federation station on a planet by Vulcan?? Why didn't he go there, they have a ****ing relay station.. As soon as that big ****ing ship comes through they should have shot out a signal.. Only gets blocked when the ships penis was out.. Also after the ship left they could have shot a signal..

2. No problem with 2.

3. It is a good way to kick off the new Trek, everything is new now.. They distanced themselves from the old series and movies by making it a new reality.. Or the old spock is still around and knows how to travel in space again if he ever wants to try and correct things..

Deberg_1990
05-08-2009, 09:36 PM
oh....and Michael Giacchinos score was rock solid perfect. That dude is great.

Valiant
05-08-2009, 09:37 PM
I loved the Spock/Uhura thing. I never thought I'd say this in a million years, but... Spock was dead sexy.

I was waiting for him to slice open some heads..

Valiant
05-08-2009, 09:39 PM
I thought it was awesome. And I'm not somebody that thought they could ever pull it off.

Even when Nimoy was onscreen with Quinto, there wasn't a moment in the movie where I thought "this isn't Kirk, Spock, Bones, Uhura, Scotty, Sulu, Chekov, et al". They were who they were, and it never distracted. Quinto in particular surprised me, I don't like him as Syler, but he pulled this role off as well as anyone could have. And Chris Pine is Kirk now. Hell, he was Kirk the first second he was onscreen. Maybe not exactly the same Kirk as Shatner, but he's Kirk in this alternate reality they created. I loved the throwback acting during the test scene where he was stuttering his words.. Great homage..

The action was great, but there were some very moving scenes, giving the film an emotional core.

The only weakness for me were the events in the future. I didn't/don't plan to read the graphic novel, and although I know they had it all planned out, the destruction of Romulus and the conflict between Nero and Classic Spock just felt like an afterthought that they didn't put a whole lot of effort into. Which is where I think the motivational problems with Nero come from. And the convenient placement of Spock and Scotty on the ice planet irked me minutely (along with the rock ewok). But even with that, I think the movie was great. Not good. Great. So good I'm going to see it again.

Oh, and the part at the end when Kirk gets his commission, they lost a number of ships (and captains), and he did prove his muster in combat. I looked at it as accepting his field promotion to first officer, and then he slid into the chair after Pike's promotion. Maybe pushing it, but hey, it's what we wanted to see at the end of the movie, Kirk in the Captain's chair on the Enterprise.

Valiant
05-08-2009, 09:41 PM

The singularity is how he knew when/where to come back and get spock after that.. Other then that I think he was flying around stewing in revenge..

Wrasse
05-08-2009, 09:49 PM
The singularity is how he knew when/where to come back and get spock after that.. Other then that I think he was flying around stewing in revenge..

Oh I see...so basically they monitored for the black hole...found it and intercepted it.

That makes more sense. Thanks.

Braincase
05-08-2009, 09:58 PM
I like the idea of a new Star Trek timeline, an alternate alternate reality. That means in the future Star Trek can be completely different with no Kirstie Alley. That's a win - maybe the Tuvok family got out alive.

The Uhura-Spock thing was an interesting twist.

How many of you thought during the high-dive onto the mining laser, "Y'know, the guy in red ain't gonna make it."

All in all, I had a great time. One of the more entertaining flicks I've seen in awhile. Tomorrow night some friends of mine and I are discussing either going to see Star Trek again, or going to see the Royals @ the Angels.

Braincase
05-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Oh, yeah - Karl Urban's voice inflections and timbre were better than I would've hoped for. He made a good McCoy.

Deberg_1990
05-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Heres a really good review from someone over at aint it cool news. Pretty much adresses all the concerns most have mentioned here.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41016

Fish
05-08-2009, 11:06 PM
I like the idea of a new Star Trek timeline, an alternate alternate reality. That means in the future Star Trek can be completely different with no Kirstie Alley. That's a win - maybe the Tuvok family got out alive.

The Uhura-Spock thing was an interesting twist.

How many of you thought during the high-dive onto the mining laser, "Y'know, the guy in red ain't gonna make it."

All in all, I had a great time. One of the more entertaining flicks I've seen in awhile. Tomorrow night some friends of mine and I are discussing either going to see Star Trek again, or going to see the Royals @ the Angels.

Captain: We're going on an away mission. Ensign Cannon Fodder, would you be so kind as to join the rest of us?

Deberg_1990
05-08-2009, 11:20 PM
1. I thought Nero was a weak villain. Also, are we really supposed to believe that they just sat there waiting for Spock for 25 years? That's the single dumbest aspect of the movie.

Here is the first ive heard about this. Apparantly Abrams cut out scenes that mentioned what Nero had been doing.....

http://chud.com/articles/articles/19332/1/REVIEW-STAR-TREK-DEVIN039S-TAKE/Page1.html

"Also hurting Nero is the decision to cut a key sequence from the movie. As the film stands now, Nero appears 25 years before the film's present and kills Kirk's father. It then skips ahead 25 years where Nero comes out of nowhere in an attempt to kill Spock from the future, who is also time traveling by accident. Audiences have to wonder 'What the fuck has Nero been doing for the last quarter of a century? Just sitting around?' It turns out he was captured by Klingons and held on their prison planet; test audiences didn't like the scenes about the Klingons so Abrams cut them, turning a villain who was already weak into a villain who is also lazy and stupid. It's a shockingly bad decision, and I think indicative of the problems with the test screening process"

DaneMcCloud
05-08-2009, 11:37 PM
oh....and Michael Giacchinos score was rock solid perfect. That dude is great.

I thought it utterly and completely sucked ass.

There was no memorable opening theme and his cues were completely forgettable.

Buehler445
05-08-2009, 11:47 PM
Just got back. Great movie. Very well done. I would have loved to see it in IMAX. I'm with you on the Nero part, but I understand it was more about character development than was a bad guy.

Movie was a BAMF

Here is the first ive heard about this. Apparantly Abrams cut out scenes that mentioned what Nero had been doing.....

http://chud.com/articles/articles/19332/1/REVIEW-STAR-TREK-DEVIN039S-TAKE/Page1.html

"Also hurting Nero is the decision to cut a key sequence from the movie. As the film stands now, Nero appears 25 years before the film's present and kills Kirk's father. It then skips ahead 25 years where Nero comes out of nowhere in an attempt to kill Spock from the future, who is also time traveling by accident. Audiences have to wonder 'What the fuck has Nero been doing for the last quarter of a century? Just sitting around?' It turns out he was captured by Klingons and held on their prison planet; test audiences didn't like the scenes about the Klingons so Abrams cut them, turning a villain who was already weak into a villain who is also lazy and stupid. It's a shockingly bad decision, and I think indicative of the problems with the test screening process"

That would make a lot more sense about the message from the KLINGON PRISON CAMP. :doh!:

Frazod
05-08-2009, 11:48 PM

Damn, no wonder they cut that out. Whoever thought of that lame ass idea should have been sent to the prison planet.

kysirsoze
05-09-2009, 02:58 AM
One issue I had was why would they have to drill into the planet to "plant" the black hole. Wouldn't dropping it on the surface essentially be just as good?

Deberg_1990
05-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Another thing i just thought of....

Did they ever show how they took the Ceti eel out of Capt. Pike? All i remember is them dropping it in him, then KIrk rescuing him later and he was fine? Sounds like another cut scene somewhere?

StcChief
05-09-2009, 09:03 AM

"Also hurting Nero is the decision to cut a key sequence from the movie. As the film stands now, Nero appears 25 years before the film's present and kills Kirk's father. It then skips ahead 25 years where Nero comes out of nowhere in an attempt to kill Spock from the future, who is also time traveling by accident. Audiences have to wonder 'What the fuck has Nero been doing for the last quarter of a century? Just sitting around?' It turns out he was captured by Klingons and held on their prison planet; test audiences didn't like the scenes about the Klingons so Abrams cut them, turning a villain who was already weak into a villain who is also lazy and stupid. It's a shockingly bad decision, and I think indicative of the problems with the test screening process" this has been going on for quite awhile.....
Opinions are like a-holes...everyone has one , they all stink.

Be a director, how much "time" would it add to the film to complete the story. :shake:

Frazod
05-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Another thing i just thought of....

Did they ever show how they took the Ceti eel out of Capt. Pike? All i remember is them dropping it in him, then KIrk rescuing him later and he was fine? Sounds like another cut scene somewhere?

Well, he was in a wheelchair at the end of the movie. Perhaps they couldn't remove it and it permanently fucked him up.

05-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Oh I enjoyed this VERY much. Bones was nails. Kirk, spot on!!! Young Spock perfect.

I agree that Nero was weak in the film but having the back story from the comic made that much easier for me to deal with.

My only real issue with the movie was the fact that they had Kirk and Spock basically the same age. Maybe I just misunderstand Vulcan aging concept but he should have looked older than Kirk. Minor issue though and doesn't detract from the movie at all.

When they made the space leap I laughed though. My son didn't get it until I explained to him afterwards that the guy in red always died.

I absolutely loved the humor in this and really feel for the people with no trek history to go on that missed some of the classic zingers.

Personally, I enjoyed this much more than Dark Knight.

Buehler445
05-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Well, he was in a wheelchair at the end of the movie. Perhaps they couldn't remove it and it permanently fucked him up.

That was my thought also. It was supposed to make him spill the beans about the code, so I didn't think it was supposed to alter his speech.
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
05-09-2009, 03:22 PM
That was my thought also. It was supposed to make him spill the beans about the code, so I didn't think it was supposed to alter his speech.
Posted via Mobile Device

Those are the same eels that were in Wrath of Khan right?

If they were, how come they didnt make Pike loyal to Nero and his every command like in Khan?

When young Kirk approached Pike, he whipped out a phaser and shot a member of Nero's crew without even blinking.

Frazod
05-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Again, I assume there will be an extended DVD that answers all our questions.

I hope it's about four hours long.

unlurking
05-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Almost all of the problems with this film could have been fixed with another 30-45 minutes of run time. Cutting the Klingon prison camp was stupid. Adding another 20-30 minutes for character development would have been great (not alone lessening the impact of all the "coincidences" for everyone to come together). All in all, my biggest issue with the movie is that it just seemed incredibly rushed.

One other thing, I really hated the fact that they turned the Enterprise into a brewery. The scene with all those giant stainless steel kettles really pulled me out of the story.

unlurking
05-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Those are the same eels that were in Wrath of Khan right?

If they were, how come they didnt make Pike loyal to Nero and his every command like in Khan?

When young Kirk approached Pike, he whipped out a phaser and shot a member of Nero's crew without even blinking.
Kahn's went in the ear, Nero's went in the mouth. More like the ones from probably the worst TNG episode ever. The little play-doh alien things. Which ironically, also took over the host.

Deberg_1990
05-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Almost all of the problems with this film could have been fixed with another 30-45 minutes of run time. Cutting the Klingon prison camp was stupid. Adding another 20-30 minutes for character development would have been great (not alone lessening the impact of all the "coincidences" for everyone to come together). All in all, my biggest issue with the movie is that it just seemed incredibly rushed.

One other thing, I really hated the fact that they turned the Enterprise into a brewery. The scene with all those giant stainless steel kettles really pulled me out of the story.

It seems Abrams was concerned with pacing above al else. He really kept the pace up throughout the entire movie.

Ironically, one of my least favorite parts was when old Spock mind melded with young Kirk. That whole scene was one loooooooong explanatory dialogue that probably could have been setup better.

the Talking Can
05-09-2009, 05:09 PM
the villain was weak, and easily dispatched with, but the movie was all about reintroducing characters anyways...each character has to get in their iconic lines or behaviors...

i thought the whole old spock in the arctic was basically a big narrative cheat, kind of story for retards...he told you how the movie would progress and end..

but so what, it's still just a blockbuster and has to adhere to the explosions and laser quotas....given those restrictions, it was a pretty good flick..the cast was better than i expected..i feared dawson's creek in space

the best part is the cgi, design, and effects....top notch, best space settings since the original star wars....

the next should better, now they can focus on the story

it's wasn't Batman, but it wasn't Transformers either....so kudos

05-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Again, I assume there will be an extended DVD that answers all our questions.

I hope it's about four hours long.Seems like, lately, that they are shying away from putting all the added content on DVDs anymore. I really hate that too. There is no reason to withhold it.

Adept Havelock
05-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Aside from the generic villain, I loved it. A very nice take on an old classic, and a clever way to breathe fresh life into a stale franchise.

That, and they killed off Winona Ryder. :thumb:

Bowser
05-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Saw it earlier today. Agree with all about the characters. It's uncanny how all those actors made me believe that they really were the younger models of all the Trek characters. Outstanding casting. Kind of a waste of Bana's talents to reduce him to what Nero's level was, but that is ultra-high nitpickiness there. Great, great movie. I'll probably see it again soon.

OK, I'm going to go mega Trek geek here -

In an episode of Voyager (yes, I really am referencing Voyager here), there was a time ship that came back first to the 24th century from the 30th (31st?) century, and then continues back to the late 20th century, with Voyager in pursuit. In that episode, we learn of the Temporal Prime Directive, and the arm of the Federation that is charged with looking out for the stability of the timeline. Wouldn't the event of the Romulan mining ship going back in time and destroying Vulcan be picked up by the Temporal Patrol people? (And was I the only one that half expected the Enterprise E to show up and fight off Nero at the very end?)

Gravedigger
05-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe it caused him that all he could say from that point on was "I'm relieved.":shrug: I personally don't think that he was necessarily fine when Kirk found him, he looked like he had the plague with his skin color, but the bug was only supposed to make him tell the truth, I dont think the bug was like that other bug from wrath of khan.

Tribal Warfare
05-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Thinking about Chris Pine's depiction of Kirk reminds me of how Harrison Ford portrayed Han Solo.

Barret
05-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Did anyone else actually like how they finally portrayed this ship as...a Ship? Specifically the engine room. IT isn't this nice carpeted little anti-matter pod in the middle of the room all humming. It looked like an actual ship.

Also I never liked how the ships would swoop around like fighters....IE: insurrection. I got a feeling with this one that there is size and they are "ships of the line" no star fighters.

One reason why I liked Battlestar Galactica. The big ships move like BIG ships.

The_Doctor10
05-09-2009, 10:01 PM

The best part about the time travel aspect was that it was completely inadvertent. It wasn't like Nero went back in time on purpose; they were sucked into the black hole on opposite sides, and the fact that one emerged on top of the U.S.S. Kelvin and one came out 25 years later was an accident. Meanwhile, Nero had that much time to plan his revenge/lose his mind.

For me, this is still the 3rd best Trek behind First Contact and Wrath of Khan, but it's much much better than Nemesis, Generations or Insurrection.

The only real gripe I have with the film is the score; it wasn't terrible or anything, but this is much poorer than any of Jerry Goldsmith's efforts or James Horner's.

God does it feel good to be able to talk about Star Trek in public again :D Hopefully the film does well enough for Paramount to give us a proper new series. Though that may be asking too much.

Silock
05-09-2009, 10:15 PM
I thought it was awesome. Plot holes? Sure. Most movies have them. Great acting, great SFX, great reboot.

Not the best movie EVER, but certainly a kickass start to the summer movie season.

DaneMcCloud
05-09-2009, 10:17 PM
God does it feel good to be able to talk about Star Trek in public again :D Hopefully the film does well enough for Paramount to give us a proper new series. Though that may be asking too much.

There are two sequels currently planned

Buehler445
05-09-2009, 10:32 PM

Really? Cool. I'm pretty oblivious to the movie making process. At what point do they 100% commit to it?

DaneMcCloud
05-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Really? Cool. I'm pretty oblivious to the movie making process. At what point do they 100% commit to it?

The final point in this case was when the head of the studio (Brad Grey), sees audiences all over the world go absolutely nuts one month before the movie's released. (The x-US premieres).

Plus, Bad Robot has a new deal with Paramount, so unless the movie was a total abortion (which of course, it's not), Paramount was going to order a sequel.

I've been hearing since January that they were going to do at least one sequel (if not two). That made me pretty confident that the movie was going to hit. I kept reassuring people here that it was going to be good (based on my info and knowledge of the script) and I'm glad to hear that people are enjoying it.

splatbass
05-09-2009, 10:52 PM
I thought it utterly and completely sucked ass.

There was no memorable opening theme and his cues were completely forgettable.

I agree. I just saw the movie a couple of hours ago and I can't recall the music at all. And I'm a musician.

Deberg_1990
05-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Hopefully the film does well enough for Paramount to give us a proper new series. Though that may be asking too much.

No worries. It appears its going to have a 70+ opening weekend.

Next week it will pass Star Trek 4 as the highest grossing Trek film of all time.

05-09-2009, 11:01 PM
I agree. I just saw the movie a couple of hours ago and I can't recall the music at all. And I'm a musician.There was music in the movie? Hell I only remember the poor opening theme and then the ending theme that SHOULD have been at the beginning, though I understand why it wasn't.

DaneMcCloud
05-09-2009, 11:03 PM
There was music in the movie? Hell I only remember the poor opening theme and then the ending theme that SHOULD have been at the beginning, though I understand why it wasn't.

As I mentioned earlier, the music sucked.

The opening (Star Trek) was SO less than Epic, it was a major drag.

I don't understand.

Deberg_1990
05-09-2009, 11:08 PM
As I mentioned earlier, the music sucked.

The opening (Star Trek) was SO less than Epic, it was a major drag.

I don't understand.

I kind of liked his opening cue. But yea, he didnt really have too much original music. He mostly took the themes from the other films and re worked them. Loved how he even reworked the original series theme at the end. That was a nice touch.

ChiefaRoo
05-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Saw it earlier today. Agree with all about the characters. It's uncanny how all those actors made me believe that they really were the younger models of all the Trek characters. Outstanding casting. Kind of a waste of Bana's talents to reduce him to what Nero's level was, but that is ultra-high nitpickiness there. Great, great movie. I'll probably see it again soon.

OK, I'm going to go mega Trek geek here -

In an episode of Voyager (yes, I really am referencing Voyager here), there was a time ship that came back first to the 24th century from the 30th (31st?) century, and then continues back to the late 20th century, with Voyager in pursuit. In that episode, we learn of the Temporal Prime Directive, and the arm of the Federation that is charged with looking out for the stability of the timeline. Wouldn't the event of the Romulan mining ship going back in time and destroying Vulcan be picked up by the Temporal Patrol people? (And was I the only one that half expected the Enterprise E to show up and fight off Nero at the very end?)

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i263.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid263.photobucket.com/albums/ii137/Alembic-/Videos/SNL-WilliamShatner-GetALife.flv">

Fish
05-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Giggity (http://www.rachelnichols.info/images/rachel_nichols_picture.jpg)giggity (http://www.ninjadude.com/ximg/Rachel-Nichols/rachel-nichols-bikini.jpg)giggity (http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/photos/rachel_nichols_gi_joe_photo_1.jpg).... green chicks are the shit....

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1852/startrek2v.jpg
Rachel Nichols (http://www.rachelnichols.net/gallery/data/1/medium/rachel_nichols.jpg) (Rachel Gibson in Ailias and Scarlett O'Hara in G. I. Joe)

unlurking
05-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Did anyone else actually like how they finally portrayed this ship as...a Ship? Specifically the engine room. IT isn't this nice carpeted little anti-matter pod in the middle of the room all humming. It looked like an actual ship.

Also I never liked how the ships would swoop around like fighters....IE: insurrection. I got a feeling with this one that there is size and they are "ships of the line" no star fighters.

One reason why I liked Battlestar Galactica. The big ships move like BIG ships.

I liked that they got away from the sterile engine room look, but to me they just turned it into a factory. I mean I can totally understand a water reclamation/distribution system being required on a ship like that, but WTF was the giant food processor for (other than scaring Scotty)? Yes they would be using macerators, but those would be closer to the intakes to reduce pipe volume requirements.

I guess basically, it was nice to see them go "behind the scenes" on the working of the ship, but it just didn't seem to fit (and it didn't seem like an engine room).

Buehler445
05-10-2009, 09:25 AM
I liked that they got away from the sterile engine room look, but to me they just turned it into a factory. I mean I can totally understand a water reclamation/distribution system being required on a ship like that, but WTF was the giant food processor for (other than scaring Scotty)? Yes they would be using macerators, but those would be closer to the intakes to reduce pipe volume requirements.

I guess basically, it was nice to see them go "behind the scenes" on the working of the ship, but it just didn't seem to fit (and it didn't seem like an engine room).

I think you know too much about reactors.

The_Doctor10
05-10-2009, 10:36 AM

That's excellent. But i was also hoping it may encourage Paramount to try another Star Trek TV series, and try letting someone other than Rick Berman do it. I'd kinda like to see what happens 20 years post-Nemesis.

unlurking
05-10-2009, 10:39 AM
I think you know too much about reactors.
True, I don't really know anything about space ship reactor rooms beyond what I see in scifi flicks, but I really hope they don't look like the brewery I took a tour at once, the sewage processing plant on Dirty Jobs, or the gas refinery plant I did some contract work at. It just kinda kills the ambiance of the film when something that's supposed to be so futuristic (spaceship), looks so mundane.

I really did love the movie though. If they release an extended version on BR, I'll by it in a heartbeat.

Frazod
05-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Well, the engine room certainly looks more like a real ship engine room than anything I've seen on Star Trek in the past. And I've seen a few real ship engine rooms.

That said, I didn't really care for it, either. I can't really think of a reason for a water line to (a) be transparent or (b) curve around like some sort of big log flume ride, other than to give Scotty some sort of perilous entrance.

And if he'd beamed into a space occupied by water or any other substance other than air, it seems like it should have killed him.

Perhaps these new transporters are different. :spock:

Tribal Warfare
05-10-2009, 11:28 AM
That's excellent. But i was also hoping it may encourage Paramount to try another Star Trek TV series, and try letting someone other than Rick Berman do it. I'd kinda like to see what happens 20 years post-Nemesis.

With current technology(CGI) if it's done right it, could be done a 1000 years after Next Generation.

Frazod
05-10-2009, 11:35 AM
I'd actually prefer another series set in the time of the current movie - perhaps focusing on a different ship. With the timeline irrevocably altered, they would be free to do anything they wanted. Perhaps they could have it set on the Decker-commanded Constellation.

oaklandhater
05-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Star Trek Boldly Resurrects Franchise
http://io9.com/5247236/star-trek-boldly-resurrects-franchise

Box office estimates place Star Trek somewhere in the region of a $70 million domestic take for its opening weekend, roughly half of the JJ Abrams movie's estimated budget. But what does that actually mean?

To expand a little on that box office estimate, Hollywood Reporter is estimating "somewhere between $65 million to $75 million," while the always-editing Nikki Finke is currently pinning it down somewhere closer to $72 million. This is less than last weekend's X-Men Origins: Wolverine (which raked in $85.1 million), but way above the original tracking numbers for the revamped space opera, which had suggested an opening weekend of around $50 million (For math fans, Trek also played in 3,849 theaters versus Wolverine's 4,099, not that that 250 theater difference probably affected the outcome noticably).

Add to that, Abrams' reboot is the most successful opening for the director (Unsurprisingly, considering that it's only his second movie after Mission: Impossible III) and the most successful for the Trek franchise. Most importantly, perhaps, it's also the most successful franchise reboot movie of recent years, significantly besting Casino Royale and Batman Begins in terms of opening day takes. Not bad for a series that was, many thought, best left for dead after the cancellation of Star Trek: Enterprise in 2005.

(International box office estimates aren't officially in yet, but rumors are that Trek is close to Wolverine's $72 million, which would be unprecedented for the franchise, and a sign that this Trek is a bona fide hit for Paramount.)

With critical response for the movie so positive - currently at 96% on Rotten Tomatoes - this movie may end up being this year's Iron Man; a nerd movie that surprises critics and mainstream audiences alike, and ends up showing more staying power than anyone expected.

sucks that wolverine is going to make more then this opening weekend that movie is a POS.

Hammock Parties
05-10-2009, 12:37 PM
I enjoyed it.

They can do a lot better. It was heavy on action and light on plot. I hope they learn something from past Treks. For instance, Star Trek IV, is terrific. I don't think a single shot is fired in that movie, apart from the melting of a doorlock.

I didn't mind the villain's lack of depth because I had already read his story in the preview comic, which really fleshes him out.

The mining ship, BTW, has been outfitted by the Romulans with hybrid Borg technology...so that explains why it's such a freaking badass.

Buck
05-10-2009, 12:47 PM
That was an awesome flick. I'm planning on watching it again.

The one thing that bugged me is that there weren't any great Romulan vs. Human/Vulcan (or any other Starfleet) fights.

05-10-2009, 01:15 PM
I enjoyed it.

They can do a lot better. It was heavy on action and light on plot. I hope they learn something from past Treks. For instance, Star Trek IV, is terrific. I don't think a single shot is fired in that movie, apart from the melting of a doorlock.

I didn't mind the villain's lack of depth because I had already read his story in the preview comic, which really fleshes him out.

The mining ship, BTW, has been outfitted by the Romulans with hybrid Borg technology...so that explains why it's such a freaking badass.Reading the mini graphic novels pretty much covered Nero. Too bad they couldn't have fleshed him out more in the movie though.

The only thing that really bugged me about Nero was his very un-Romulan way of greeting people. "Hello Christopher." I mean, come on. heh

Buck
05-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Just read through the thread. Agree w/ everyone on the score.

Walking out of the theater last night, the one thing we all agreed upon was that the music sucked, and that Nero wasn't the greatest bad guy.

Deberg_1990
05-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Star Trek Boldly Resurrects Franchise
http://io9.com/5247236/star-trek-boldly-resurrects-franchise

Box office estimates place Star Trek somewhere in the region of a $70 million domestic take for its opening weekend, roughly half of the JJ Abrams movie's estimated budget. But what does that actually mean?

To expand a little on that box office estimate, Hollywood Reporter is estimating "somewhere between $65 million to $75 million," while the always-editing Nikki Finke is currently pinning it down somewhere closer to $72 million. This is less than last weekend's X-Men Origins: Wolverine (which raked in $85.1 million), but way above the original tracking numbers for the revamped space opera, which had suggested an opening weekend of around $50 million (For math fans, Trek also played in 3,849 theaters versus Wolverine's 4,099, not that that 250 theater difference probably affected the outcome noticably).

Add to that, Abrams' reboot is the most successful opening for the director (Unsurprisingly, considering that it's only his second movie after Mission: Impossible III) and the most successful for the Trek franchise. Most importantly, perhaps, it's also the most successful franchise reboot movie of recent years, significantly besting Casino Royale and Batman Begins in terms of opening day takes. Not bad for a series that was, many thought, best left for dead after the cancellation of Star Trek: Enterprise in 2005.

(International box office estimates aren't officially in yet, but rumors are that Trek is close to Wolverine's $72 million, which would be unprecedented for the franchise, and a sign that this Trek is a bona fide hit for Paramount.)

With critical response for the movie so positive - currently at 96% on Rotten Tomatoes - this movie may end up being this year's Iron Man; a nerd movie that surprises critics and mainstream audiences alike, and ends up showing more staying power than anyone expected.

sucks that wolverine is going to make more then this opening weekend that movie is a POS.

For comparisions sake, the last Trek flick "Nemesis" made 43 mil its entire theatrical run.

Yes, America was ready for a fresk take on Trek.

Buck
05-10-2009, 02:26 PM
I just bought the Blu-Ray of Season 1 of the original series. Going to pick it up at halftime of this Lakers game...Cant wait to watch it.

Hammock Parties
05-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Be prepared for extreme low-budget sets and special effects.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/a/a8/Leslie-nav_ltcmdr-Alternative_Factor-TOS.jpg/325px-Leslie-nav_ltcmdr-Alternative_Factor-TOS.jpg

05-10-2009, 02:33 PM
It's funny how that was considered a viable future back then. heh

Buck
05-10-2009, 02:37 PM

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/a/a8/Leslie-nav_ltcmdr-Alternative_Factor-TOS.jpg/325px-Leslie-nav_ltcmdr-Alternative_Factor-TOS.jpg

Thats what I've heard, I've also heard that a lot of it is campy. I just decided that if theres a show I need to get into its this. I want to watch these series and all the movies.

Is there an order I need to watch the TV Series/Movies in? Or can I watch any of the movies at any time?

Hammock Parties
05-10-2009, 02:44 PM
I'd watch TOS first so you get a feel for the characters. At least one season. There are only three seasons.

The movies aren't so campy, and have higher budgets obviously. Everything looks much better. The visuals are Star Warsian.

Portlantis
05-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Thats what I've heard, I've also heard that a lot of it is campy. I just decided that if theres a show I need to get into its this. I want to watch these series and all the movies.

Is there an order I need to watch the TV Series/Movies in? Or can I watch any of the movies at any time?

I'd suggest you watch the original Star Trek episode "Space Seed" right before you watch "Star Trek II." Helps to explain why Khan is so wrathful.

Also, watching the Star Trek TNG episodes "Q Who?" and "The Best of Both Worlds (part one and two)" will help provide a little bit of context to the events of "Star Trek: First Contact."

Those are the two best Star Trek movies, by the way, and are thoroughly enjoyable even if you don't know the backstory.

05-10-2009, 03:51 PM
all of Star Trek TOS is available for streaming on CBS.com classic tv.

Deberg_1990
05-10-2009, 04:20 PM

heh. Id bet TOS would be hard for a young kid to get into now days. But back in the late 70's and early 80's when there wasnt much Sci-Fi on TV and special effects were pretty caveman, it was a great watch.

I remember channel 41 there in KC used to run them every night during the summer.

Hammock Parties
05-10-2009, 04:23 PM
I used to watch them during the summer when I had literally nothing else to do.

Star Trek, A-Team, good times. :)

Deberg_1990
05-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Those are the two best Star Trek movies, by the way, and are thoroughly enjoyable even if you don't know the backstory.

First Contact is good but Khan is really the only Trek flick that trancends the genre. Thats pretty much why its still worshiped to this day.

Not only is it the perfect Trek film, its a great film within any genre. its got alot of layered themes going on like what it means to grow old and dealing with death.

Bowser
05-10-2009, 04:28 PM
I used to like it in the TOS when they fired the phasers AND torpedoes in the same episode!

Brings me to a question about the flick - how far in the future from the end of Nemesis did this Romulan ship come from? Outside of it being mammoth, what kind of torpedoes were those? They actually looked like torpedoes, not some ball of energy that have generally defined what a photon torpedo is.

Hammock Parties
05-10-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be quantum torpedoes. The comic just says "borg hybrid technology," though.

I could have sworn that thing had a borg cutting beam, too.

Bowser
05-10-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm pretty sure they're supposed to be quantum torpedoes. The comic just says "borg hybrid technology," though.

I could have sworn that thing had a borg cutting beam, too.

Ah. Didn't see your first post in here.

Is the graphic novel worth the purchase?

Hammock Parties
05-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Hell no. I downloaded it.

Nero starts out as a good guy though. Spock recruits him.

Buck
05-10-2009, 04:46 PM
heh. Id bet TOS would be hard for a young kid to get into now days. But back in the late 70's and early 80's when there wasnt much Sci-Fi on TV and special effects were pretty caveman, it was a great watch.

I remember channel 41 there in KC used to run them every night during the summer.

I've watched a few older shows w/ lower budgets and it hasn't been a problem. I hope its the same here.

The_Doctor10
05-10-2009, 04:56 PM
With current technology(CGI) if it's done right it, could be done a 1000 years after Next Generation.

Yes, it could. And I suppose a clean break from the events of TNG, DS9 and Voyager could benefit the series; by setting it 1000 years in the future, however, it makes the reasons for guest appearances by Patrick Stewart etc even more impossible to justify :P

Hammock Parties
05-10-2009, 04:57 PM
I've watched a few older shows w/ lower budgets and it hasn't been a problem. I hope its the same here.

From the 60s?

Seriously, everything looks like it's made out of cardboard. The enterprise had wires.

Buck
05-10-2009, 05:03 PM
From the 60s?

Seriously, everything looks like it's made out of cardboard. The enterprise had wires.

Not the 60s.

But I've watched shows like Land of the Lost, which is really old tech too.

Hammock Parties
05-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Not the 60s.

But I've watched shows like Land of the Lost, which is really old tech too.

Star Trek is from the fucking 60s man.

Check out these award-winning creature effects! Stan Winston would be proud!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z1eFdUSnaQM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z1eFdUSnaQM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Deberg_1990
05-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Star Trek is from the ****ing 60s man.

Check out these award-winning creature effects! Stan Winston would be proud!

heh. Arena. One of my fave TOS episodes ever.

We actually watched this in 8th grade science class because Kirk uses alot of science to make his weapons.

05-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Outstanding choreography.

Hammock Parties
05-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Man, I used to rent TOS on VHS from the fucking library.

I distinctly remember checking out Doomsday Machine. A few months later my cousin bought me a boxed set of Alexander Courage tunes.

What a geek!

Frazod
05-10-2009, 07:07 PM
all of Star Trek TOS is available for streaming on CBS.com classic tv.

That's odd. The original Star Trek was on NBC, not CBS.

DaneMcCloud
05-10-2009, 08:09 PM
That's odd. The original Star Trek was on NBC, not CBS.

Paramount owns the show and the rights.

CBS and Paramount are sister companies under the Viacom umbrella.

Tribal Warfare
05-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Who thought it was cool when Nimoy Spock showed Simon Peg his( future Scottie's) equation to make teleportation more efficient like in Star Trek 4 when Scottie showed the glass dude how to formulate a new polymer to hold the whales.

T-post Tom
05-10-2009, 10:28 PM
Very good movie. It was fresh and new while staying true to the spirit laid down by Shatner, Nimoy, et al. A most definate :thumb:

Discuss Thrower
05-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Great movie, didn't fail to entertain. Being raised as a StarTrek geek I was at first skeptical when the movie was rumored to go with the "Kirk and friends in school" route but I was wrong here. Given that it was a goal to reboot the franchise it was necessary to show the characters in their life before the Enterprise... In addition to employing the first sensible use of time travel in the mythos in a looooooong time. The question now remains in how are the cast and crew going to top themselves?

Hopefully Paramount doesn't strangle the golden goose by oversaturating the franchise... I'd hold off an a TV series, one that wouldn't feature the Enterprise and its crew to boot, for at least until 2014 or when the last movie airs, whichever is later.

blaise
05-11-2009, 06:03 PM
This is only sort of Star Trek related, but someone said there was a trailer for the movie The Road (starring Viggio Mortensen) before the Star Trek movie. Is that true and did anyone see it, or have any opinion on how it looked?
Thanks.

05-11-2009, 07:40 PM
This is only sort of Star Trek related, but someone said there was a trailer for the movie The Road (starring Viggio Mortensen) before the Star Trek movie. Is that true and did anyone see it, or have any opinion on how it looked?
Thanks.Not at my theater there wasn't.

Hammock Parties
05-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Everything you ever wanted to know about Star Trek, for the most part. A great show:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2cGKc4bG2Jg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2cGKc4bG2Jg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Watch all eight parts on Youtube.

Hammock Parties
05-12-2009, 01:47 AM
The epilogue made me tear up.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cIgEbl65f_M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cIgEbl65f_M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Silock
05-12-2009, 02:30 AM
Leonard Nimoy rocks.

05-12-2009, 02:49 AM
That was great.

Tribal Warfare
05-12-2009, 03:30 AM
The epilogue made me tear up.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hFyl4GxBzEw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hFyl4GxBzEw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hammock Parties
05-12-2009, 03:32 AM
See, that's what Star Trek is about.

God damn. What a great scene.

Hammock Parties
05-12-2009, 08:03 AM
Someone on another forum just brought up a great point.

They should have had Chris Pine doing the "Space" voiceover at the end.

Shag
05-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Someone on another forum just brought up a great point.

They should have had Chris Pine doing the "Space" voiceover at the end.

Meh. I thought it was awesome for Nimoy to do it, and much cooler than having Pine (who I liked as Kirk) do it, IMHO. I imagine Pine will do it for future movies, though...

bango
05-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Thinking about Chris Pine's depiction of Kirk reminds me of how Harrison Ford portrayed Han Solo.

That is what he was going for. He was trying to take parts of Ford's Han Solo, and Indiana Jones as well as Tom Cruise in Top Gun.

bango
05-12-2009, 09:56 PM

The next one is due in 2011. They are aiming for the middle of that year. The script was started in March of the year and they hope to have it done by December.

Talisman
05-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Loved the movie. I was a little worried I would be disappointed because of all of the hype surrounding it, but I was blown away. It was a lot funnier than I expected too. Great casting and pacing. I know the time travel thing has been done to death, but I thought it was well done here and provides them the freedom to do whatever they want in the next few movies without having to worry about disturbing the original movies' canon.

I only had a couple of small gripes:

1. When did Earth get so poorly defended? Spock took out the mining drill with a few shots from his ship. In the future Earth has no fighter space ship thingies we could send up to take a few pot shots at it? We don't have any missiles? No giant cannon? I know, I know. It's a movie and Spock needed to save the day.

2. At the end, why would the Enterprise sit there firing at the Romulan ship when a crapload of red matter was getting ready to implode it into nothingness? As soon as everyone was back on board, they should have warped out of there. And if a drop can take out a whole planet, wouldn't that entire ball take out half the galaxy? I guess they needed their "Get us out of here, Scotty!" "Ok, but I'm going to have to do something that's never been done before" moment.

Minor gripes, great flick. I haven't been to see a movie twice in the theaters since The Dark Knight, but I'm already itching to see it again.

Tribal Warfare
05-12-2009, 11:54 PM
That is what he was going for. He was trying to take parts of Ford's Han Solo, and Indiana Jones .

Not surprising since it was the same actor who portrayed the role, and I concur with the Tom Cruise comparison since he had that cocky and rebellious nature.

05-13-2009, 12:05 AM
Not surprising since it was the same actor who portrayed the role, and I concur with the Tom Cruise comparison since he had that cocky and rebellious nature.That bar scene was hilarious. Exactly how I would expect a young Kirk to act.:thumb:

Hammock Parties
05-13-2009, 06:02 AM
1. When did Earth get so poorly defended? Spock took out the mining drill with a few shots from his ship. In the future Earth has no fighter space ship thingies we could send up to take a few pot shots at it? We don't have any missiles? No giant cannon? I know, I know. It's a movie and Spock needed to save the day.

When the drill is extended it knocks out communications or something? Also, the crew on the Romulan ship was fairly occupied at that moment (Kirk), so they couldn't fight back.

2. At the end, why would the Enterprise sit there firing at the Romulan ship when a crapload of red matter was getting ready to implode it into nothingness?

Because it was awesome. :evil:

Fish
05-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Neat...

The Shatner Scene You Never Saw In Abrams' Star Trek (http://io9.com/5249752/the-shatner-scene-you-never-saw-in-abrams-star-trek)

By <cite>Meredith Woerner (http://io9.com/people/MeredithDW/posts/)</cite>, 3:02 PM (http://io9.com/5249752/the-shatner-scene-you-never-saw-in-abrams-star-trek) on Mon May 11 2009,

<!-- google_ad_section_start --> http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/io9/2009/05/shatner.jpg

You've heard why Shatner's Kirk wasn't included in Star Trek (http://io9.com/tag/star-trek/). (He was dead, for one thing.) But Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman tried to write him in, and they walked us through their Shatner scene.
In our exclusive interview with Star Trek (http://io9.com/tag/star-trek/) writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, we managed to pick their brain as to what landed on the cutting-room floor during rewrites. The most shocking was the actual Shatner scene.

Alex Kurtzman: We had a scene with Shatner, and that ended up going.

Roberto Orci: Right, we had a scene with Shatner.

Did that even get tossed around at all?

Orci: We wrote it, it was in the script.

Kurtzman: The very last scene when Spock and Spock meet each other, finally. And elder Spock is convincing young Spock that he couldn't interfere, because it would have diverted [Kirk and Spock] away from their friendship. And that their friendship is the key to the whole sort of shebang.

Orci: He gave him a recorded message from Kirk.

Kurtzman: He [elder Spock] said, "Don't take my word for it." And he handed him [younger Spock] a little holographic device and it projected Shatner. It was basically a Happy Birthday wish knowing that Spock was going to go off to Romulus, and Kirk would probably be dead by the time...

Orci: It turned into a voiceover, at the end of the movie.

Kurtzman: So It was a nod too, but it ultimately felt like a cameo, in a way that wasn't.

Orci: I still liked it [Laughs].

Wow, I really wouldn't have had a problem with this scene as described. I'm sad Shatner wasn't in the final version, I could have done with a little less Nimoy by the conclusion in any case. Oh well, maybe Shatner will appear in the next one. But that's not the only thing that was cut from the script. According to the writers, they had a scene of Spock playing the Vulcan lute, and his mother, that got axed. And they had written a young love Kirk moment. We would have met the lovely Carol Marcus, who actually had Kirk's son David in the original series, as a child.
Orcir described it as, "this whole Forrest Gump, young Kirk growing up near Carol Marcus, thing." Which would have been very sweet, I'm sure, but then ruined the whole, "I'm a drunk jerk" image for twenty-something Kirk years later.

irishjayhawk
05-13-2009, 04:38 PM
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1910892&fullscreen=1" width="640" height="360" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="AllowScriptAccess" value="true"/><param name="movie" quality="best" value="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1910892&fullscreen=1"/><embed src="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1910892&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="360" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object><div style="padding:5px 0; text-align:center; width:640px;">Watch <a href="http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892">My Favorite Movie (Star Trek vs. Star Wars)</a> and more <a href="http://www.collegehumor.com/videos" >funny videos</a> on <a href="http://www.collegehumor.com/">CollegeHumor</a></div>

DaneMcCloud
05-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Neat...

I'm actually glad they didn't include this scene. Not because I don't like Shatner or anything (far from it) but because I hate having every loose end wrapped up onscreen.

While I liked "Revenge of the Sith", I didn't need to hear Senator Organa say "We'll take the girl. My wife and I have always wanted a baby girl" and see them land on Alderaan. I didn't need to see Obi-Wan delivering Luke, etc.

Some things are best left to the imagination.

Buck
05-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Not sure if this was covered

What's going to be on the DVD and BluRay, we heard something about the character Uncle Frank?

[Kirk's] Stepfather and young Kirk have a scene, there is a Nero prison scene, young Spock as a baby, and more... there are a couple scenes that were brought out of the movie. Some things, like that prison sequence, just confound the audience. Every time we screened the movie for a group, that sequence threw them, even though it had some of my favorite design in the entire movie. The wardrobe, the location, some of the visual effects were really fun. But you know it was better without it, when we cut it

Deberg_1990
05-13-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm actually glad they didn't include this scene. Not because I don't like Shatner or anything (far from it) but because I hate having every loose end wrapped up onscreen.

While I liked "Revenge of the Sith", I didn't need to hear Senator Organa say "We'll take the girl. My wife and I have always wanted a baby girl" and see them land on Alderaan. I didn't need to see Obi-Wan delivering Luke, etc.

This.

Watch, someday Lucas is gonna make an Indy Jones Prequel and show us every single famous person he ever came accross.

Oh wait......

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
05-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Anybody see it in IMAX? Worth the extra $5/ticket?

ChiefaRoo
05-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Anybody see it in IMAX? Worth the extra $5/ticket?

I saw it. It was worth it for me. Although the way the movie was shot (with all the shaky effects and light hot spots) it doesn't make much difference. There's just so much going on.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
05-13-2009, 09:51 PM
thanks. I might have to make the 35 minute drive to see it in IMAX

ChiefaRoo
05-13-2009, 10:02 PM
I saw it. It was worth it for me. Although the way the movie was shot (with all the shaky effects and light hot spots) it doesn't make much difference. There's just so much going on.

thanks. I might have to make the 35 minute drive to see it in IMAX

I've seen it twice. Once in IMAX and then the standard theatre. IMAX is marginally cooler. Don't sit too close though or you'll get a headache. :)

greg63
05-13-2009, 11:09 PM
I saw it over the weekend and I love how they stayed true to the whole original backdrop.

noa
05-15-2009, 07:13 PM
The thing that always bothers me with time travel as a plot line is that I end up wondering things like couldn't the federation now just kill baby nero before he does all this bad stuff and then make sure to get the red matter to the supernova before romulus gets destroyed so then romulus is safe and nero never goes back and destroys vulcan?

cdcox
05-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Just saw it today. LOVED IT.

I haven't read the whole thread but maybe someone has already said this: I think the main message of the movie was that even though Nero had changed history, there was such a strong sense of destiny for many of the main characters that Nero's acts had very little effect.

Kirk still ended up at Starfleet, captain of the Enterprise, friends with Spock, etc even though all these things seemed unlikely at various times.

Scottie's destiny was to be on the enterprise. That is why he was on the ice planet.

Ditto for the old Spock and Kirk.

Pike ended up in a wheel chair, just like in TOS. Circumstances different, but fate is the same.

Really well done. The characters were faithful to TOS, but updated and fresh. Technology was cool. Story line was fresh and exciting. Top it all off with an origins story and it was really top notch entertainment.

Hammock Parties
05-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah Pike in the wheel chair was probably something a lot of people glossed over. But it was a great nod.

DaneMcCloud
05-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah Pike in the wheel chair was probably something a lot of people glossed over. But it was a great nod.

Not in my theater.

Everyone dressed in Starfleet uniforms (half the theater) went "Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Hammock Parties
05-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Not in my theater.

Everyone dressed in Starfleet uniforms (half the theater) went "Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ROFL

Fuckin' nerds.

I love 'em.

DaneMcCloud
05-15-2009, 10:36 PM
ROFL

Fuckin' nerds.

I love 'em.

You'd fit right in out here, Dude. And that's not an insult.

Move out to Hollywood. Get certified in video editing at the L.A. Film school on Sunset. Find a nice little Yeoman of your own.

It could happen.

05-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Not in my theater.

Everyone dressed in Starfleet uniforms (half the theater) went "Oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh"There is no pleasing them.

DaneMcCloud
05-16-2009, 12:01 AM
There is no pleasing them.

Actually, they all "got it".

I apologize if I didn't convey that.

noa
05-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Also, WTF was Olson thinking? Idiot. He had the charges.

05-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Actually, they all "got it".

I apologize if I didn't convey that.AH, I thought maybe they were complaining because it wasn't what they felt was "correct".

Hammock Parties
05-16-2009, 06:18 AM
You'd fit right in out here, Dude. And that's not an insult.

Move out to Hollywood. Get certified in video editing at the L.A. Film school on Sunset. Find a nice little Yeoman of your own.

It could happen.

Thanks bro, I appreciate that. Kind words.

Hammock Parties
05-16-2009, 06:41 AM
When Nerds Attack

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2009/05/enterprise-vs-bsg2.jpg

Hammock Parties
05-16-2009, 06:44 AM
This nerd will point out at the new Enterprise does not have an "A" designation. They fucked up the graphic.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-16-2009, 07:34 AM

I thought the robots doing the doctoring were the most annoying aspect of that part of the movie. I liked watching Yoda and Obi-Wan walking around and then having a sit-down with Bail on the Tantive.
The thing that REALLY sucked was that they cut the Qui-Gon part before the twins were born. That part of the book was great.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-16-2009, 07:45 AM
So anyway, I watched the new Trek. I guess the best review I can give is this:

I actually give a flying fuck about Star Trek now.

They worked the characters perfectly. They dialed Kirk and Sulu down a notch, dialed up Uhura and Spock, and Bones was just Bones( which I loved; that actor from Xena just fucking NAILED that role, and the best performance of the whole cast ).

It was also fun to see Star Trek NOT looking like early to mid 90's "birth pangs of CGI" for a fucking change too.

In short; the REAL elements of what made Star Trek a Legacy have finally arrived.

Fairplay
05-16-2009, 08:54 AM
They cut out the scene where Sulu and Kirk took a shower together.

Sulu had a little sword with him.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-16-2009, 09:15 AM
They cut out the scene where Sulu and Kirk took a shower together.

Sulu had a little sword with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw

Bowser
05-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Also, WTF was Olson thinking? Idiot. He had the charges.

Put that on Pike. He should have NEVER given the dude in red the explosives.

BigRedChief
05-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Just saw it today. LOVED IT.

I haven't read the whole thread but maybe someone has already said this: I think the main message of the movie was that even though Nero had changed history, there was such a strong sense of destiny for many of the main characters that Nero's acts had very little effect.

Kirk still ended up at Starfleet, captain of the Enterprise, friends with Spock, etc even though all these things seemed unlikely at various times.

Scottie's destiny was to be on the enterprise. That is why he was on the ice planet.

Ditto for the old Spock and Kirk.

Pike ended up in a wheel chair, just like in TOS. Circumstances different, but fate is the same.

Really well done. The characters were faithful to TOS, but updated and fresh. Technology was cool. Story line was fresh and exciting. Top it all off with an origins story and it was really top notch entertainment.
THIS!

Most entertaining movie I've seen in years at the movies.

BigRedChief
05-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Giggity (http://www.rachelnichols.info/images/rachel_nichols_picture.jpg)giggity (http://www.ninjadude.com/ximg/Rachel-Nichols/rachel-nichols-bikini.jpg)giggity (http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/photos/rachel_nichols_gi_joe_photo_1.jpg).... green chicks are the shit....

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/1852/startrek2v.jpg

Rachel Nichols (http://www.rachelnichols.net/gallery/data/1/medium/rachel_nichols.jpg) (Rachel Gibson in Ailias and Scarlett O'Hara in G. I. Joe) She's in the new GI JOE movie alsohttp://www.zombiechatter.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/scarlett_giant1.jpg

Buehler445
05-16-2009, 08:24 PM
She's in the new GI JOE movie alsohttp://www.zombiechatter.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/scarlett_giant1.jpg

Good God. I still want to cum all over her green titties.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-16-2009, 08:53 PM
You loves the green, don't you?

Frazod
05-16-2009, 09:33 PM

Well, she's no Chase Masterson, but I wouldn't kick her out of bed.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Well, she's no Chase Masterson, but I wouldn't kick her out of bed.

I she was green and yellow and came with a John Deere tractor, he'd marry her.

Frazod
05-16-2009, 09:41 PM
I she was green and yellow and came with a John Deere tractor, he'd marry her.

When I get home I'll post a picture of Chase that blows her away.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-16-2009, 09:44 PM
When I get home I'll post a picture of Chase that blows her away.

Okee day. Personally, I'd bang the living shit out of Uhura.

Frazod
05-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Okee day. Personally, I'd bang the living shit out of Uhura.

This

Miles
05-17-2009, 01:03 AM
Finally saw it Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately IMAX was still too much of a shitfest of a crowd even for the afternoon shows, so I had to resort to a standard screen. It was a solo trip to the theater so double the ticket price and an hour in line was a little too much. Still kind of regret not holding out for IMAX the first time though since it had so many impressive visuals.

I was expecting a decent amount after the feedback this has gotten but damn was it entertaining.

Miles
05-17-2009, 01:06 AM
She's in the new GI JOE movie alsohttp://www.zombiechatter.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/scarlett_giant1.jpg

Rachel Nichols is amazingly hot. She was on some failed Fox show a while back and the last season of Alias as well.

Miles
05-17-2009, 01:10 AM
I was also amused that the audience stated chuckling half way through the GI Joe trailer which ended in full out laughter when the name was shown. If a theater full of people seeing Star Trek are cracking up at this trailer it can't be a good thing.

Valiant
05-17-2009, 02:04 AM
I was also amused that the audience stated chuckling half way through the GI Joe trailer which ended in full out laughter when the name was shown. If a theater full of people seeing Star Trek are cracking up at this trailer it can't be a good thing.

yeah I think it will flop also and I love GI JOE.. The new cartoon was tight though..

Buehler445
05-17-2009, 09:42 AM

Heh, not really. I just love titties. If they're green, so be it.

This

Her too...

BucEyedPea
05-17-2009, 10:56 AM
I saw it Friday night May 15 on IMAX and loved it. Awesome on IMAX!
Saw it again last night on a regular screen. Got more out it as there were some confusing points. ( I originally thought they were going to be the grandchildren of Kirk and Spock at the start.)

I never liked Picard and Co in the 2nd tv series. So I never watched it. I loved the movies from the 80's which is when I got hooked. So much so that I then saw the original series in syndication on late night tv and/or rented the videos from the original. Still have them too.

I always felt it was the characters and their chemistry that made the original...so of course I really liked this origin approach a lot. I'm glad the original characters are back—and are younger.

What I also liked was it was NOT a story built around special effects but the special effects enhanced the story. Just a few too many lens flares but not so bad.

I hated Uhura kissing Spock. I thought it was gratuitous and dumb.
Not sure I like Spock being half-human. Can't remember if he was in the original though. I wish his mother survived.

I had no problem with Nero as a villain. I couldn't even tell it was uber sexy Eric Bana.

Now that you mention it, that's a good point. But it didn't really bother me. I was a bit confused about some points in the story this being one.

But I do like the way Pegg portrays him.
Oh, I think he was awesome. Better than the original.
Including Chekov! He cracked me up!

It was heartbreaking but the mention of recolonizing means they'll be back I'd imagine.

Really, this is the best of all the Star Trek movies imo.
The acting was excellent all around. I just wished they airbrushed some of Pine's acne pock-marks out. Geezaz! If it were a woman they would have been.

BucEyedPea
05-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot, Kirk's mom and dad having to ask what sex their new baby was in that era seemed very out-of-place to me.

BucEyedPea
05-17-2009, 11:07 AM
He was great. There wasn't one single bad casting choice made for this movie, which is rare.

Yeah,I'd agree. Casting perfection—no doubt.

Regarding the time travel. I guess I haven't remembered TOS as much as I thought to remember this being overdone. Then again I haven't seen every episode. Haven't seen a lot of this in general either since generally I am not a sci fi fan.

05-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Spock was always half human. I kind of like the twist to his younger character with Uhura.

Hammock Parties
05-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Really, this is the best of all the Star Trek movies imo.

Blasphemy. Then again, you are a girl.

Miles
05-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot, Kirk's mom and dad having to ask what sex their new baby was in that era seemed very out-of-place to me.

Why? Not like that info isn't easy enough to figure out these days but some still don't want to know.

Buehler445
05-17-2009, 01:20 PM
What I also liked was it was NOT a story built around special effects but the special effects enhanced the story.

Truth. This basic premise is an evaluatoin point with all movies.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Spock was always half human. I kind of like the twist to his younger character with Uhura.

I'd kind of like to play naked Twister with Uhura.:D

The only thing I didn't like was the bridge of the Enterprise. Could they make that shit just a little more nuclear-blast bright please"? If I went to the theater to see this, I'd have to bring my sunglasses with me.

BucEyedPea
05-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Why? Not like that info isn't easy enough to figure out these days but some still don't want to know.

Yes I know but they are technologically advanced by that point in time. I can see some people in our time not wanting to know though.
Seemed illogical but then they're humans.

Also, what about the paper cocktail menu in that bar? I know it had flashing art on it but you'd think they'd be paperless by then. Just a few thoughts I had when watching it.

BucEyedPea
05-17-2009, 02:39 PM
I thought it was illogical. :D

Tribal Warfare
05-17-2009, 03:41 PM

It will be interesting how Quinto will progress with his depiction of Spock being more conflicted with his human side, or assimilating more to the stoic Spock we all know and love.

05-17-2009, 04:18 PM
It will be interesting how Quinto will progress with his depiction of Spock being more conflicted with his human side, or assimilating more to the stoic Spock we all know and love.Well, they can do whatever they want with it now. I would think he would have to grow into the stoic Spock though.

This is the one aspect of time travel I don't like. When it happens it never seems like the life experiences cross to the older version of the person from the younger, even though they are the same person.

Buehler445
05-17-2009, 06:04 PM
Well, they can do whatever they want with it now. I would think he would have to grow into the stoic Spock though.

This is the one aspect of time travel I don't like. When it happens it never seems like the life experiences cross to the older version of the person from the younger, even though they are the same person.

He was pretty stoic in the beginning. It was only in reference to his mother when he got pissed and started killing fuckers.

05-17-2009, 06:05 PM
He was pretty stoic in the beginning. It was only in reference to his mother when he got pissed and started killing ****ers.Yeah, you would have thought he'd be jumping for joy with Winona gone.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-17-2009, 06:08 PM
Yeah, you would have thought he'd be jumping for joy with Winona gone.

WTF for? She can transport over to my fun house anytime she pleases.

05-17-2009, 06:12 PM
WTF for? She can transport over to my fun house anytime she pleases.I was just referring to the popular consensus of the board. Personally, I've always liked her.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-17-2009, 06:15 PM
I was just referring to the popular consensus of the board. Personally, I've always liked her.

"These people are common folk, the salt of the earth". "You know; morons".

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6E1v1F7I9Fc/R0wru-RUrnI/AAAAAAAABGc/iIeD1KdcClU/s400/7.jpg

I like's to keep my audience RIVETED!:D

05-17-2009, 06:43 PM
"These people are common folk, the salt of the earth". "You know; morons".

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6E1v1F7I9Fc/R0wru-RUrnI/AAAAAAAABGc/iIeD1KdcClU/s400/7.jpg

I like's to keep my audience RIVETED!:DROFL

kepp
05-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Okay, so I saw it Saturday on IMAX...fantastic! I've always been a trek fan (not huge...i don't own a tricorder or anything) and this is, IMHO, the best trek movie. The true litmus test will be when I get my Dad to see it. He's a big fan of the original. I think he'll like it though because Spock has always been his favorite character. I'll be buying the bluray.

Hammock Parties
05-18-2009, 10:03 AM
How can ANYONE say this is the best Trek movie? It's like the popcorn-fest of the Trek saga. Nothing more. The plot is fairly weak. Go watch Star Trek VI and tell me it's not a better film. Maybe it's not as exciting, bang-bang, fuck-fuck, hot-hot, but the plot is a hell of a lot more engaging than "Oh bad guy wants to blow up the federation, let's go kick his ass!"

Sorry, just irritated. And I own a tricorder.

Frazod
05-18-2009, 10:10 AM
Personally, I rank this one under First Contact and Wrath of Khan, but slightly above Undiscovered Country.

kepp
05-18-2009, 11:20 AM
How can ANYONE say this is the best Trek movie? It's like the popcorn-fest of the Trek saga. Nothing more. The plot is fairly weak. Go watch Star Trek VI and tell me it's not a better film. Maybe it's not as exciting, bang-bang, ****-****, hot-hot, but the plot is a hell of a lot more engaging than "Oh bad guy wants to blow up the federation, let's go kick his ass!"

Sorry, just irritated. And I own a tricorder.

ROFL - you own a red "expendable" shirt, don't you?

Hammock Parties
05-18-2009, 11:32 AM
ROFL - you own a red "expendable" shirt, don't you?

No. I don't believe in shirts with shit on them.

But I also own a phaser. TOS style.

The coolest ones were in STVI though:

http://www.westcentralauto.com/real%20prop1.JPG

Buehler445
05-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Where do you find this shit, Claythan?

talastan
05-18-2009, 12:44 PM
I loved this movie. Not my personal favorite as far as Trek movies go, First Contact, and Wrath of Khan top this one. But it was good. As for the hardcore Trekkies, if you can accept that this is an alternate reality you can overlook the obvious timeline flaws. Great film!! Claythan, do you own any of the Star Trek technical readouts for the Federation Starships? A friend of mine does, he is serious about his Star Trek. (Translation: NERD)

BigRedChief
05-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Personally, I rank this one under First Contact and Wrath of Khan, but slightly above Undiscovered Country.
Wrath of Khan then First Contact for me.

Hammock Parties
05-18-2009, 12:49 PM
I loved this movie. Not my personal favorite as far as Trek movies go, First Contact, and Wrath of Khan top this one. But it was good. As for the hardcore Trekkies, if you can accept that this is an alternate reality you can overlook the obvious timeline flaws. Great film!! Claythan, do you own any of the Star Trek technical readouts for the Federation Starships? A friend of mine does, he is serious about his Star Trek. (Translation: NERD)

I own this book:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/5/57/Star_Trek_The_Next_Generation_Technical_Manual.jpg/292px-Star_Trek_The_Next_Generation_Technical_Manual.jpg

And this one:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/startrek/images/thumb/e/e6/Mr_Scotts_Guide_to_the_Enterprise.jpg/250px-Mr_Scotts_Guide_to_the_Enterprise.jpg

AND this one:

http://pixhost.ws/avaxhome/e6/63/000b63e6_medium.jpeg

My youth was extremely nerdy.

Hammock Parties
05-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Where do you find this shit, Claythan?

:spock:

Google images?

EDIT: Oh, the TOS phaser. Um...I think I got it at some geek convention like 10 years ago. It's in the closet somewhere.

talastan
05-18-2009, 12:50 PM
I own this book:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/5/57/Star_Trek_The_Next_Generation_Technical_Manual.jpg/292px-Star_Trek_The_Next_Generation_Technical_Manual.jpg

And this one:

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/startrek/images/thumb/e/e6/Mr_Scotts_Guide_to_the_Enterprise.jpg/250px-Mr_Scotts_Guide_to_the_Enterprise.jpg

AND this one:

I think he owns the same ones. :)

Frazod
05-18-2009, 12:54 PM
I own this book:

And this one:

AND this one:

I don't have Scotty's guide, but I've got the other two, along with the blueprints to the original Enterprise from back in the 70s.

Hammock Parties
05-18-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm pretty sure I got them ALL in Springfield, too, at Caveman....ABOUT A DECADE AGO!

I actually beat my cousin across the floor to the shelf to grab Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise. We both wanted it and did not think about girls.

siberian khatru
05-18-2009, 01:01 PM

I still have my original bought in 1975 when I was 9. I've passed it down to my oldest son. :)

Deberg_1990
05-18-2009, 01:05 PM

and your adult life is not?

Buck
05-18-2009, 01:06 PM
I still have my original bought in 1975 when I was 9. I've passed it down to my oldest son. :)

Holy Cow, a Siberian Khatru sighting.

How are you?

Hammock Parties
05-18-2009, 01:07 PM
and your adult life is not?

No?

It's moderately nerdy.

siberian khatru
05-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Holy Cow, a Siberian Khatru sighting.

How are you?

Trying to stay out of trouble here. Figured this thread was safe.

Thanks for asking. :)

Frazod
05-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Trying to stay out of trouble here. Figured this thread was safe.

Thanks for asking. :)

We thought you were in a cell with MrBlond.

siberian khatru
05-18-2009, 02:07 PM
We thought you were in a cell with MrBlond.

Two went in. One came out.

Buck
05-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Two went in. One came out.

Thats what she said.

Simply Red
05-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Gee, I'm really on the edge of my seat for this one.

Hammock Parties
05-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Shut up tanning bed shithead.

05-18-2009, 04:00 PM
Personally, I rank this one under First Contact and Wrath of Khan, but slightly above Undiscovered Country.This, that and the other thing regarding what he said.:D

Tribal Warfare
05-18-2009, 05:31 PM
1) Wrath of Khan
2) Star Trek (2009)
3) First Contact

bango
05-18-2009, 08:52 PM
1) Wrath of Khan
2) Star Trek (2009)
3) First Contact

This is how my list starts, but I have to make it known that I liked Part One, and Part Three also.

05-18-2009, 09:00 PM
1) Wrath of Khan
2) Star Trek (2009)
3) First ContactThat is the order I would put it in as well. Whale Trek would come fourth for me. I have to agree with Claythan that IV was a very well crafted movie even if it didn't have all the space battles. It was classic trek.

FAX
05-19-2009, 12:10 AM
Good movie, in my opinion. And, it received high praise from the beautiful and witty Mrs. FAX who, of all things, really likes Star Trek.

1. Casting was great. It's difficult to see other actors in those roles, but they did a good job with it and the result was plausible, if not completely satisfying.

2. Script was pretty good. The ice planet provided a few too many plot coincidences for my taste ... finding Spock in the one, single cave Kirk came across for refuge, finding Scott, enabling the transport back to the Enterprise, etc. Difficult to suspend reality through all that. Also, the "time travel" device has been overused, in my view, but it worked in the end and served as a means to bring at least one of the original actors into the film, so I'm okay with it, I guess.

3. The evil Romulan (sp?) was a weak villain. I agree with Mr. frazod on this. I would have hoped for a deeper, more complex, more despicable character.

4. Weaving classic lines and behaviors from the old series was extremely well done. Spock's first "fascinating" was great.

5. Ohura's (sp?) love for Spock kind of freaked me out. Was this in the original in any form? If so, I have no recollection of it.

6. My main disappointment with the movie was the way the film revolved around Spock's "emotions". I would have preferred a plot that didn't focus or rely on this aspect of his character so much. It doesn't leave this to be developed later. In the original series, it seemed as though Spock was practically robotic and someone to which Kirk barely related. Then, as he and Kirk worked together, his humanity slowly displayed itself. By revealing this so early and to such a degree, it doesn't allow development and it removes an excellent foil for the two characters to use in later films. In general, I thought this was a bad decision.

Overall I thought it was great and will buy it. But, I won't see it again in the theater. Prop things to the filmmakers. May the franchise live long and prosper.

FAX

BucEyedPea
05-19-2009, 04:21 PM
6. My main disappointment with the movie was the way the film revolved around Spock's "emotions". I would have preferred a plot that didn't focus or rely on this aspect of his character so much. It doesn't leave this to be developed later. In the original series, it seemed as though Spock was practically robotic and someone to which Kirk barely related. Then, as he and Kirk worked together, his humanity slowly displayed itself. By revealing this so early and to such a degree, it doesn't allow development and it removes an excellent foil for the two characters to use in later films. In general, I thought this was a bad decision.
I share some of this sentiment on some of Spock emotions here. In retrospect, I think it could provide for him maturing to the more logical Spock later. They're all still pretty young here...and to be commandeering a starfleet too?

JD10367
05-19-2009, 05:28 PM
My thinking on Spock is: he was more emotional when young, but prone more towards the violence end of the spectrum; when old, he was more prone to "softer" emotion. The Spock of his 30s and 40s was the most Vulcan in temperament. Remember, this Spock is only in his early 20s... most of us in our early 20s were a bit less grown-up. (Hell, I'm in my 40s and less grown-up, LOL.)

The fact that Nimoy didn't know how to play Spock at first actually helps this. In the unused pilot ("The Menagerie", footage later re-used for "The Cage") Spock is practically a ball of emotion, barking out warnings from his station like he's getting a cold rectal probe. So, in a way, that paved the way for a "more emotional" younger Spock. (Brent Spiner had similar issues with Data; the first episodes of "ST:TNG" has him playing Data more like a moronic child as opposed to the later incarnation.)

IMO the Spock-Kirk relationship had little to do with Spock becoming more emotional; it simply had to do more with Spock, as he aged, coming to grips with his human half. Plus there's that whole "Spock and Kirk were gay" rumor. :D

Lzen
06-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Just saw this last night. Couple of things bothered me.

- First, since when does Iowa have cliffs? I mean, I been through the state a few times and don't recall ever seeing cliffs.

- When Spock beams down to Vulcan and tells the elders that their planet is about to be destroyed (in seconds), why did nobody ask a question? They all just followed him out. Kind of strange if you as me.

Buehler445
06-01-2009, 11:21 AM

- First, since when does Iowa have cliffs? I mean, I been through the state a few times and don't recall ever seeing cliffs.

- When Spock beams down to Vulcan and tells the elders that their planet is about to be destroyed (in seconds), why did nobody ask a question? They all just followed him out. Kind of strange if you as me.

Yeah, Iowa also looked more arid than I would think it would be. Minor, minor detail.

It seemed like that scene was edited a bit much. Maybe logically it only made sense to believe him :shrug:
Posted via Mobile Device

Lzen
06-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Oh, and the whole thing with Spock stranding Kirk on that extremely dangerous ice planet for being insubordinate just didn't sit well with me.

Lzen
06-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Yeah, Iowa also looked more arid than I would think it would be. Minor, minor detail.

It seemed like that scene was edited a bit much. Maybe logically it only made sense to believe him :shrug:
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep, looked like a desert more than Iowa, IMO. Minor detail, I guess. No big deal.

Lzen
06-01-2009, 11:29 AM

Agreed. They all did a terrific job.

Frazod
06-01-2009, 12:17 PM

It was a quarry, not a natural canyon.

Lzen
06-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Loved the movie. I was a little worried I would be disappointed because of all of the hype surrounding it, but I was blown away. It was a lot funnier than I expected too. Great casting and pacing. I know the time travel thing has been done to death, but I thought it was well done here and provides them the freedom to do whatever they want in the next few movies without having to worry about disturbing the original movies' canon.

I only had a couple of small gripes:

2. At the end, why would the Enterprise sit there firing at the Romulan ship when a crapload of red matter was getting ready to implode it into nothingness? As soon as everyone was back on board, they should have warped out of there. And if a drop can take out a whole planet, wouldn't that entire ball take out half the galaxy? I guess they needed their "Get us out of here, Scotty!" "Ok, but I'm going to have to do something that's never been done before" moment.

Minor gripes, great flick. I haven't been to see a movie twice in the theaters since The Dark Knight, but I'm already itching to see it again.

Good points. Number 2 was pretty much what I was thinking while watching. Why would they hang around knowing that a black hole was about to be there?

Vegas_Dave
06-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Good points. Number 2 was pretty much what I was thinking while watching. Why would they hang around knowing that a black hole was about to be there?

Number 1 I agree with.

but # 2 is explainable.

First, we do not know that the amount of red matter is directly proportionate to size and magnititude of the black hole that it forms.

Second, they stayed because they had to make sure that the job was done. Had they warped out without 100% KNOWING that the bad guy was a goner, then it wouldn't have been very Kirk'ish. If this meant sacrificing themselves, so be it.

Frazod
06-01-2009, 01:24 PM
The escape from the black hole thing at the end reminded me of the original episode "Doomsday Machine" when they were trying to escape from the planet killer. Sure it was silly, but I liked it.

Lzen
06-01-2009, 01:27 PM

Perhaps it is just like today. When my first son was born, they knew the sex when they did the ultrasound. But they asked us if we wanted to know or if we just wanted to wait until he was born to find out. We chose to wait until he was born. Perhaps Kirk's parents chose to not know until he was born.

Lzen
06-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Number 1 I agree with.

but # 2 is explainable.

First, we do not know that the amount of red matter is directly proportionate to size and magnititude of the black hole that it forms.

Second, they stayed because they had to make sure that the job was done. Had they warped out without 100% KNOWING that the bad guy was a goner, then it wouldn't have been very Kirk'ish. If this meant sacrificing themselves, so be it.

Probably more like they had to make it dramatic like all movies tend to do with that sort of thing. ;)

Deberg_1990
10-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Bump...heres the much talked about deleted scene showing Nero in Captivity before Spock arrives.......

<embed width='448' height='365' src='http://www.spike.com/efp' quality='high' bgcolor='000000' name='efp' align='middle' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' flashvars='flvbaseclip=3278137&'> </embed> <br /> <a href='http://www.spike.com/video/star-trek-dvd-bonus/3278137'>Star Trek - DVD Bonus Footage</a>

Buck
10-28-2009, 04:17 PM
When does this shit come out on Blu-Ray.

Thanks for the scene Deberg.

Sure-Oz
10-28-2009, 04:50 PM
When does this shit come out on Blu-Ray.

Thanks for the scene Deberg.

I've never seen it but i believe on nov. 17th....

go to amazon.com always to check release dates

Buck
10-28-2009, 04:52 PM
You haven't seen this movie?

listopencil
10-28-2009, 05:28 PM

In very early episodes Spock was a bit more emotional. Perhaps because Nimoy hadn't quite nailed the character down yet, but there was a difference.

Sure-Oz
10-28-2009, 07:04 PM
You haven't seen this movie?

I had really one opportunity to see it and i chose to see Terminator Salvation over it, FML

Buck
10-28-2009, 07:05 PM
I had really one opportunity to see it and i chose to see Terminator Salvation over it, FML

Well get it on Netflix when it comes out...

Sure-Oz
10-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Well get it on Netflix when it comes out...

I plan on buying it when it comes out, everyone i've heard told me i'd love it.

Frazod
11-17-2009, 07:32 PM
I just picked up the blu ray. The packaging contains a fairly well detailed little model of the Enterprise, and the saucer section holds the disks!

Totally fucking cool. :rockon:

EDIT: This packaging may be a Target-exclusive thing.

Braincase
11-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Did you spot R2D2 in the Star Trek movie? Now confirmed (http://gizmodo.com/5405276/confirmed-r2+d2-finally-discovered-in-star-trek)... gotta love the guys at ILM.

11-17-2009, 10:41 PM
I just picked up the blu ray. The packaging contains a fairly well detailed little model of the Enterprise, and the saucer section holds the disks!

Totally ****ing cool. :rockon:

EDIT: This packaging may be a Target-exclusive thing.What are you talking about? I haven't even heard of a edition with that kind of packaging.

Frazod
11-17-2009, 10:57 PM
What are you talking about? I haven't even heard of a edition with that kind of packaging.

I hadn't heard about it, either. Like I said, I think they only have it at Target. Definitely worth the extra $10.

I'll attach a couple of photos of it. First, with the case closed.

Frazod
11-17-2009, 10:59 PM
And next, with the case open - one disk goes in the bottom, one in the top. Nice detail on it, too.

11-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Is that the 3 disk edition? Also, how much did you pay for it?

DAMNIT!!!!
http://www.target.com/dp/B002RT1UEC/ref=sc_qi_img_viewdetails?ie=UTF8&title=view%20full%20details
I would have gladly paid an extra $5 over Best Buy for that. !@*#!@#&*$%@&*%*@

Too bad I already opened my copy. ugh.

Frazod
11-17-2009, 11:16 PM

DAMNIT!!!!
http://www.target.com/dp/B002RT1UEC/ref=sc_qi_img_viewdetails?ie=UTF8&title=view%20full%20details

Too bad I already opened my copy. ugh.

Yeah, that's a bitch. The only reason I got this is because Target's about three blocks closer than Best Buy.

11-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Yeah, that's a bitch. The only reason I got this is because Target's about three blocks closer than Best Buy.Maybe I can sell my copy on the company swap shop board.

Psyko Tek
11-17-2009, 11:36 PM

Totally fucking cool. :rockon:

EDIT: This packaging may be a Target-exclusive thing.

got a pick
sounds cool
but I don't have a blue ray

KCFalcon59
11-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Maybe I can sell my copy on the company swap shop board.

I was just thinking the same thing!!!

Psyko Tek
11-17-2009, 11:39 PM

yeah hated that part and god I hope they didn't kill that vette for the shot

Frazod
11-17-2009, 11:43 PM
BTW, there are several deleted scenes which fill in some of the glaring gaps in the story. I'm really not sure why they weren't simply put back in for the DVD release, but at least they're there.

KcMizzou
11-17-2009, 11:49 PM
I had really one opportunity to see it and i chose to see Terminator Salvation over it, FMLDude...

Frazod
11-17-2009, 11:54 PM
Dude...

Seriously. I think I'll consign that turd to my It-Never-Happened place, along with Alien 3 and the last Indiana Jones movie. Never seen them, never will.

KCWolfman
11-18-2009, 12:20 AM
Great film - Abrams is a genius, and opens a whole new storyline with his possibilities.

The only issue I have is who designs the Romulan spacecraft? - I am assuming it is the same guy who did the Death Star. "Okay, guys, we need a huge gap here with a 300 foot drop. Don't waste time on guard rails or warning signs of any kind. And please, use that really slick floor surface that allows a lot of unneeded sliding near those huge drops".

Sure-Oz
11-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Dude...

I have made up for it by purchasing the 3 disc bluray edition today. I am absolutely stoked to see this movie, ive been pissed for months and finally i can see this damn movie

11-18-2009, 01:21 AM

DAMNIT!!!!

Too bad I already opened my copy. ugh.Well, it is out of stock online now. Doesn't look good for me.

Frazod
11-18-2009, 01:24 AM
Well, it is out of stock online now. Doesn't look good for me.

Not surprising. This thing is amazingly cool. I'll bet word of it has gotten around as well.