PDA

View Full Version : Misc Car stuff question...

Chiefs Pantalones
05-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Where do I go to get my car looked at to get ready to take it 1500 miles? I wanna see if it's up to the task haha.

luv
05-08-2009, 11:10 PM
A mechanic?

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-08-2009, 11:11 PM
A mechanic?

ROFL

pr_capone
05-08-2009, 11:12 PM
beat down by luv

LMFAO

BigMeatballDave
05-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Do you service it regularly? How many miles are on it?

Bugeater
05-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Hell I'd just jump in and go, not knowing for sure if it'll make it or not will only add to the adventure.

Chiefs Pantalones
05-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Do you service it regularly? How many miles are on it?

That's what she said.

Yeah I get the oil changed, yada yada. 170,000 miles. I've seen worse cars travel farther lol.

BigMeatballDave
05-08-2009, 11:19 PM
That's what she said.

Yeah I get the oil changed, yada yada. 170,000 miles. I've seen worse cars travel farther lol.:D If it runs well, go. Just check for any leaks, oil, coolant. Thats what I do.

Bugeater
05-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Probably should check the belts too, and make sure the tires are inflated properly (including the spare) and that you have a functional jack and lug wrench. That's the kind of stupid shit that can leave you stranded.

luv
05-08-2009, 11:32 PM
:D If it runs well, go. Just check for any leaks, oil, coolant. Thats what I do.

Probably should check the belts too, and make sure the tires are inflated properly (including the spare) and that you have a functional jack and lug wrench. That's the kind of stupid shit that can leave you stranded.

Like I said. Mechanic.

Bugeater
05-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Like I said. Mechanic.
You don't need no stinkin' mechanic for any of that stuff.

luv
05-08-2009, 11:44 PM
You don't need no stinkin' mechanic for any of that stuff.

I don't anymore, because the last one I went to took me through and showed me what I didn't already know. Vanilla Thunder doesn't seem like the auto mechanic type of guy. He reminds me of someone who would take it somewhere and have someoe else do it.

rtmike
05-09-2009, 02:06 AM
It'd be nice if you knew someone you could trust to check it out for you.

A lot of these places tell you that you need all kinds of unnecessary shit when all you wanted was your oil changed or tires rotated.

You have Triple A?

badgirl
05-09-2009, 05:24 AM
I don't anymore, because the last one I went to took me through and showed me what I didn't already know. Vanilla Thunder doesn't seem like the auto mechanic type of guy. He reminds me of someone who would take it somewhere and have someoe else do it.

Why would you say that, because he asked where to have it looked at to make sure it would be ready to make a very long trip? I think anyone should do that unless they are actually a real mechanic.

Pioli Zombie
05-09-2009, 05:43 AM

Ballbusters excite me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bwana
05-09-2009, 05:57 AM
Vanilla Thunder doesn't seem like the auto mechanic type of guy. He reminds me of someone who would take it somewhere and have someoe else do it.

Hmm? If that's the case, is "Miss Cleo" out of the joint yet? Perhaps he could give her a jingle and she could work some magic over the phone.

Cody: Hi Miss Cleo, I am getting ready to take a power road trip, you know, like the 1500 mile kind.

Miss Cleo: Yeah man.

Cody: Do you see any problems with the car.

Miss Cleo: (Takes long hard pull off skunk weed joint) I am seeing something man, but first I must have that Visa number again.

Cody: Um, Ok. XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

Miss Cleo: Very good, OH! OH!!

Cody : What!?

Mis Cleo: Oh this is very bad man! I have made contact with the engine block and it's telling me bad things!

Cody: Like what Miss Cleo!

Miss Cleo: I'm seeing a vision of a glow plug.

Cody: Um, it's a gas engine.

Miss Cleo: That does not matter, I see what I see man. Wait, I do see something else!

Cody: What?

Miss cleo: It's fading fast, give me that visa number one more time.

Cody:What the hell Ok. XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX.

Miss Cleo: Now it's clear my son! I'm seeing an "M.G.R."

Cody: What the hell is MGR, manager?

Miss Cleo: No man, Mr. Good Wrench, he holds the key to your future.

Skip Towne
05-09-2009, 06:02 AM
What kind of car?

Dayze
05-09-2009, 09:21 AM
as others have said; check belts (replace if necessary), coolant, oil change, tires & spare tire; I'd also meter the battery whent the car is on the make sure you're alternator is doing it's job.

I had a 200k 1985 camry I drove from KC to California; 3 days of driving, no 'real' problems other than it began to over heat a little bit going through Denver etc.

luv
05-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Why would you say that, because he asked where to have it looked at to make sure it would be ready to make a very long trip? I think anyone should do that unless they are actually a real mechanic.

I've paid attention to him in other threads.

Iowanian
05-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Tires good?
Any mystery noises?
Oil change? Fluids filled?
Maybe change air filter or fuel filter if you're worried.

Throw in a bottle of good injector cleaner, top it off and go.

Don't take it to a jiffy lube for a checkup, but you should be able to find a local shop that changes oil and does minor mechanic work and ask them to check it out or give it a tubeup (plugs, wires etc maybe)..break pads....they can probably hook it up to the computer and see if anything major is wrong with the engine.

If you're not specific, they'll find stuff to fix.

luv
05-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Tires good?
Any mystery noises?
Oil change? Fluids filled?
Maybe change air filter or fuel filter if you're worried.

Throw in a bottle of good injector cleaner, top it off and go.

Don't take it to a jiffy lube for a checkup, but you should be able to find a local shop that changes oil and does minor mechanic work and ask them to check it out or give it a tubeup (plugs, wires etc maybe)..break pads....they can probably hook it up to the computer and see if anything major is wrong with the engine.

If you're not specific, they'll find stuff to fix.

Brake pads. They may not be making any noises right now, but if their worn thin enough, he may want to go ahead and get them replaced.