PDA

View Full Version : Video Games The Boston Celtics

Direckshun
05-11-2009, 12:39 AM
After last night's game, I've spent some times simply going through much of this franchise's history on YouTube tonight, putting off much more important work to do so. It's worth it. It really, really is worth it.

I love this team so much, in part because I spent some time in New England growing up. But also in part because this is a franchise with astonishing continuity with the way it wins. Every Celtics team that's won championships have won it by being tougher than the other teams, playing better defense than the other teams, and hitting more clutch shots than the other teams.

Every really successful franchise has its trademark system. The Lakers have been really successful by compiling amazing offensive talent that can hit the fast break. The Patriots have ruthless efficiency. The Yankees have an endless pocketbook. The Lady Vols and Lady Huskees are simply dynasties that have the market cornered.

The Celtics are just heart, and you really saw that tonight as Big Baby drained a jump shot barely out of his range as time expired to beat a superior Magic team. I remember in a Garnett interview with Bill Russell, Russell told Garnett he'd have to bring his teammates with him, not force them. Garnett brings his teammates along, Kobe forces them along.

And as a result there's been an incredible comeraderie on that Celtics team that nobody in the league except the Cavs can match. That comeraderie, and that infectious enthusiasm of this team's stud, has infused the entire team to play its soul out and they have advanced as far as any team this year without the stud that got them there.

This is entirely consistent with the team's entire history of championship success. Auerbach stuck around with this team for decades ensuring that mentality never got lost. Bill Russell himself is in Garnett's ear from time to time. Ainge, a part of the classic 80s squads that took right after the championship 70s squads, shapes the team now. Doc Rivers and Garnett are as plugged into that mystique as anybody.

It's been a joy rooting for this team, it's been as rewarding as any team I've ever rooted for. I'd still take the Chiefs over them any day but I'm just happy I can root for them without reservation.

RealSNR
05-11-2009, 12:41 AM
I hope the Celtics win against the Magic so Lebron can rape'em good in the next round :D

Direckshun
05-11-2009, 12:43 AM
I hope the Celtics win against the Magic so Lebron can rape'em good in the next round :D

I think Big Baby should rape LeBron.

TAKE HIM TO THE HOLE

KC_Connection
05-11-2009, 12:48 AM
I hate the Celtics and all Boston teams with a passion. Their series right now doesn't matter because LeBron will destroy the winner 4-0 or 4-1.

RealSNR
05-11-2009, 12:53 AM
I think Big Baby should rape LeBron.

TAKE HIM TO THE HOLEI like Big Baby as much as the next guy. Seriously, I do. But it's one thing to work against Joakim Noah and Jameer Nelson. It's quite another thing to work against Lebron James.

This Cavs team is incredible. I really want them to win... just to throw the city of Cleveland a bone in SOME sport. They deserve it. Also, because I believe the whole Lebron=chosen one stuff. It's about time he wins his first title so he can go from there and continue to be awesome.

Direckshun
05-11-2009, 02:43 AM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/photo_images/62879/63653_APTOPIX_Celtics_Magic_Basketball.jpg

HypnotizedMonkey
05-11-2009, 04:29 AM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/photo_images/62879/63653_APTOPIX_Celtics_Magic_Basketball.jpg

CLASSIC! hahaha not only was I elated at the shot.. that part was friggin hilarious!!!

Mr. Arrowhead
05-11-2009, 07:06 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zzR60xPDLQs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zzR60xPDLQs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Amnorix
05-11-2009, 08:27 AM

Yeah, I'm kind of tempted to say that I hope the C's lose in a close game 7 against Orlando, because I fear that very thing.

OTOH, I'd kinda like to see Pierce go against LeBron again, even though I know we're doomed to lose the series without KG.

Amnorix
05-11-2009, 08:29 AM
I like Big Baby as much as the next guy. Seriously, I do. But it's one thing to work against Joakim Noah and Jameer Nelson. It's quite another thing to work against Lebron James.

This Cavs team is incredible. I really want them to win... just to throw the city of Cleveland a bone in SOME sport. They deserve it. Also, because I believe the whole Lebron=chosen one stuff. It's about time he wins his first title so he can go from there and continue to be awesome.

I agree that Cleveland deserves to win at something sooner or later. :D Poor town is dyin' to win at something -- anything...

Amnorix
05-11-2009, 08:29 AM
I hate the Celtics and all Boston teams with a passion. Their series right now doesn't matter because LeBron will destroy the winner 4-0 or 4-1.

Then you've had alot to hate the last decade. :p :evil: