PDA

View Full Version : Life How big of a fine is this?

BWillie
05-12-2009, 03:32 PM
I bought an old beater pick up with an open title that isn't dated. The guy I bought it from just used it as an old farm pick up and drove it here and there so he jumped the title. It was only $500 and it runs great, I'm just planning on using it for the next 1-2 months while I move into my new house and I buy new furniture and then sell re-sell it when I'm done with it or part it out.

My question is if I get caught driving with my car's plates on it, how bad is the penalty? I've learned my lesson when I had a problem with the title on a previous car to NEVER drive a car without plates, you stick out like a sore thumb, and you will get pulled over and over again.. I drove my old car with my other cars plates for about 1-2 months while sorting out the stuff with the title and never got caught.

My friend told me you can potentially get a felony if you drive a vehicle with your other plates on it. I fail to see how that could be possible though. Want to make sure what I could be in for if I get pulled over though.

Rooster
05-12-2009, 03:41 PM
I would pay the $30 and get real plates.

The Franchise
05-12-2009, 03:43 PM
God....there are some cheap fucks on this board.

Demonpenz

that's 1/3 the price of the truck

ziggysocki

This. Driving on bogus plates is dumb as hell.

Skip Towne
05-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Oklahoma would make you buy allthe back tags since it last had a tag. It wouldn't be a $30 deal.

CoMoChief
05-12-2009, 03:46 PM
that's 1/3 the price of the truck

Not to mention the hassell of going to DMV and waiting in line with the rest of the idiots who dont have the proper paperwork.

that alone has to be worth someone's time n money

Skip Towne
05-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Do you have insurance on the truck? They won't sell you a tag without it.

Rain Man
05-12-2009, 03:54 PM
You could tow the truck with your car.

stumppy
05-12-2009, 03:59 PM
$100 give or take.

bevischief
05-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Move plates and don't do anything stupid.

DaneMcCloud
05-12-2009, 04:12 PM
God....there are some cheap fucks on this board.

This.

JFC, BW. Get liability insurance, get the plates.

You don't want to get in an accident with bogus plates and no insurance.

That would be monumentally stupid.

Iowanian
05-12-2009, 04:14 PM
another example.

JOhn
05-12-2009, 04:17 PM
another example.

pretty much :shake:

BWillie
05-12-2009, 04:39 PM
It's not that I don't want to pay, it's that I'm too lazy to sit in line. And technically I have liability insurance for the first 30 days I own the vehicle.

Bugeater
05-12-2009, 04:42 PM
I got an improper display of plates ticket once because I couldn't convince the idiot cop that my Mercury Bobcat was actually a Pontiac GTO. I had it properly licensed by the time I went to court and IIRC I got like a $25 fine + costs, but that was about 20 years ago and in a different state.

Demonpenz
05-12-2009, 04:48 PM
I got an improper display of plates ticket once because I couldn't convince the idiot cop that my Mercury Bobcat was actually a Pontiac GTO. I had it properly licensed by the time I went to court and IIRC I got like a $25 fine + costs, but that was about 20 years ago and in a different state.

safely assume it the cop wasn't pulled over because you were rear ended

Iowanian
05-12-2009, 04:52 PM
You're trying to skirt the title issue, which is going to be an issue, you want to throw on car tags, which will get noticed if they check it....and you won't have insurance on the truck if something falls out of the back while you're moving, or you crash into a minivan full of a family because you're texting or taking a camera-phone pic of yourself flexing in the seat of bigfoot.

awesome.

Where is demon and his bad idea jeans?

Skip Towne
05-12-2009, 05:09 PM
You bought a $100 truck that came with a month of insurance? How does that work?

L.A. Chieffan
05-12-2009, 05:10 PM
go for it dude. fuck the man

BWillie
05-12-2009, 05:12 PM
You're trying to skirt the title issue, which is going to be an issue, you want to throw on car tags, which will get noticed if they check it....and you won't have insurance on the truck if something falls out of the back while you're moving, or you crash into a minivan full of a family because you're texting or taking a camera-phone pic of yourself flexing in the seat of bigfoot.

awesome.

Where is demon and his bad idea jeans?

Like I said, I work for an insurance company. I HAVE insurance coverage on the vehicle, and if it comes to a point where it's going to lapse I'm going to put it on. That is the easy part. Simple question. Just want to know the ramifications of getting a ticket for not having plates. There is such thing as a risk reward thing. I'm not endangering anybody's safety by not doing so.

BWillie
05-12-2009, 05:13 PM
You bought a $100 truck that came with a month of insurance? How does that work?

On my insurance policy, when you replace or add a vehicle you automatically have the broadest coverage on one of your pre-existing vehicles for at least 30 days. I believe in some states it is even more.

KCUnited
05-12-2009, 05:15 PM
Like I said, I work for an insurance company. I HAVE insurance coverage on the vehicle, and if it comes to a point where it's going to lapse I'm going to put it on. That is the easy part. Simple question. Just want to know the ramifications of getting a ticket for not having plates. There is such thing as a risk reward thing. I'm not endangering anybody's safety by not doing so.
Got pulled over in that situation, in Johnson County, had valid insurance, but didn't have my current card and it cost me around $275 for the tag and the insurance in court. Now granted, they give you, I believe 30 days to to register the vehicle and the fine is significantly lower. Missouri, don't worry about it.

Oxford
05-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Jumped the title? What does that mean? If it means he never registered it in his name, he never paid taxes etc. Let me tell you a story.

Bought a junked S10 4x4 from an individual, title was signed over to him but never re-titled in his name. In MO, I had to have his ex-wife apply for a lost title (the real owner) and then sign the title over to me as if I had bought it from her. Then I had register it in my name and pay the taxes. Turns out it was his wifes truck and he got it in the divorce.

It was a 2 month mess...... get the title fixed

BWillie
05-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Got pulled over in that situation, in Johnson County, had valid insurance, but didn't have my current card and it cost me around $275 for the tag and the insurance in court. Now granted, they give you, I believe 30 days to to register the vehicle and the fine is significantly lower. Missouri, don't worry about it.

Really? I didn't have my insurance card one time and I just went to court and showed them my insurance card and they threw it out. It cost me nothing. I can handle $275 for not having tags, as long as it's not a grand. It's highly unlikely I will get pulled over for the purpose of how I'm going to use the vehicle. I'm just going to be doing about 3 trips, and maybe picking up 3-5 sets of furniture. Bout it

BWillie
05-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Jumped the title? What does that mean? If it means he never registered it in his name, he never paid taxes etc. Let me tell you a story.

Bought a junked S10 4x4 from an individual, title was signed over to him but never re-titled in his name. In MO, I had to have his ex-wife apply for a lost title (the real owner) and then sign the title over to me as if I had bought it from her. Then I had register it in my name and pay the taxes. Turns out it was his wifes truck and he got it in the divorce.

It was a 2 month mess...... get the title fixed

Yep, it sucks. That happened to me when I bought an old car to get around with while my other one was getting fixed. But in this case, even if it has no title I'm just going to sell it w/out title or for a parts vehicle. If I take a $200 loss on the truck it's not going to be something I need to worry about. The problem for me in the other case was the fact that I was dumb and lost the title, and the guy had title jumped before me. So really it was my fault, but we got it taken care of.

Oxford
05-12-2009, 05:23 PM
In our Missouri Municipal court, registration is a no-points violation and is about $75 (Springfield MO). If you are stopped by a state patrolman/county sheriff, then the violation goes to the violations bureau at Jeff City. You can probably look on dor.mo.gov (I think) and find the Violations Bureau schedule of fines. If there is no accident, you shouldn't have to appear before a judge.

SAUTO
05-12-2009, 05:52 PM
it's better to have NO plates(you could always say you were on the way to the DMV) then to display the wrong plates(higher fine IIRC)

SAUTO
05-12-2009, 05:53 PM
INSURANCE is the big thing if you have that(which you have said you do) you will not get as big of a fine OR lose your license

Bwana
05-12-2009, 06:45 PM
another example.

Indeed.

Iowanian
05-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Sounds like you have it by the tail, champ.

You should cut off the exhaust in under the cab so it will have a kick ass rumble...

Bwana
05-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Sounds like you have it by the tail, champ.

You should cut off the exhaust in under the cab so it will have a kick ass rumble...

LMAO

But be sure to get a set of turbo style muffler bearings before you do that, or it won't make as much "rumble."

PHOG
05-12-2009, 07:20 PM
Oklahoma would make you buy allthe back tags since it last had a tag. It wouldn't be a $30 deal.

Not if you were of (illegal) Hispanic persuasion, had a cop tell me after the wife got in an acident that there's not really anything they can do to them...BS

Pablo
05-12-2009, 07:24 PM
it's better to have NO plates(you could always say you were on the way to the DMV) then to display the wrong plates(higher fine IIRC)I think I got something like a $130 fine for displaying improper plates.

Stupid Highway Patrol didn't think my Mitsubishi Galant was really a Mustang.

BWillie
05-12-2009, 07:25 PM
it's better to have NO plates(you could always say you were on the way to the DMV) then to display the wrong plates(higher fine IIRC)

I tried that with my old car, and I wasn't really lying. I was just going to Wal-Mart to get a floor mat, and some supplies and the next day was going to go to the DMV. The officer clearly did not give a f*ck lol.

He said technically you cannot even drive your newly purchased vehicle home unless you have made prior arrangements and/or obtained temp tags.

Bugeater
05-12-2009, 09:18 PM
It depends on how long it's been since you purchased the vehicle, the aforementioned ticket I got for improper display of plates was much lower than an expired in transit, over 60 days past the purchase date would've been around $150 fine at the time. I'm sure these things vary by state though.

He said technically you cannot even drive your newly purchased vehicle home unless you have made prior arrangements and/or obtained temp tags.
That sounds like a complete load of horseshit.

Halfcan
05-12-2009, 09:31 PM
just leave the tags off slam a 12 pack and dare the pigs to pull you over.

Manila-Chief
05-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Yep, it sucks. That happened to me when I bought an old car to get around with while my other one was getting fixed. But in this case, even if it has no title I'm just going to sell it w/out title or for a parts vehicle. If I take a $200 loss on the truck it's not going to be something I need to worry about. The problem for me in the other case was the fact that I was dumb and lost the title, and the guy had title jumped before me. So really it was my fault, but we got it taken care of.

If money is not an issue, why don't you just rent a pick up? My daughter rented a Chev. Silverado (sp?) for about $60 for 24 hours. Seems cheaper and easier than buying an old truck ... plus, you will drive a nicer truck.

BWillie
05-12-2009, 10:17 PM
If money is not an issue, why don't you just rent a pick up? My daughter rented a Chev. Silverado (sp?) for about $60 for 24 hours. Seems cheaper and easier than buying an old truck ... plus, you will drive a nicer truck.

Well it's not an issue up to a point. I'm going to be moving over the period of 5 days, don't know when I'll need the truck and when I won't. But mainly I need one because I'm going to be buying furniture off craigslist here and there in the next month. I won't be able to anticipate when I'll need a moving vehicle or rent a car or not. Some of the stuff people put on there you have to act fast.

Jewish Rabbi
05-12-2009, 11:06 PM
This board has some classy people, let me tell you. Jesus, it'd be what, $30 total for tags and liability?

Bugeater
05-12-2009, 11:10 PM
This board has some classy people, let me tell you. Jesus, it'd be what, $30 total for tags and liability?
LOL, $30 barely covers the wheel tax here in Omaha.

Jewish Rabbi
05-12-2009, 11:13 PM
LOL, $30 barely covers the wheel tax here in Omaha.

My beater I used to have was $20 I think...

stevieray
05-12-2009, 11:16 PM
ahh to be young again and tempt fate....just begging for Murphy to put a boot up your ass...

...it always ends well.

Bugeater
05-12-2009, 11:19 PM
My beater I used to have was $20 I think...My crappy '92 Caravan that basically has no value costs around $60 just to renew the plates every year. You get hosed when you live in a big city.

Phobia
05-12-2009, 11:20 PM

Truth. Not only that but truck plates start with a different number than cars. You'll get nailed in a heartbeat. Then what do you say?

banyon
05-12-2009, 11:32 PM
It is an unclassified misdemeanor. Carries a max $500 fine or 30 days in jail.

Most courts if your record isn't terrible, are going to shoot you a fine like the ones listed in this thread.

Article 1: General Provisions
Statute 8-133: Display of license plate. The license plate assigned to the vehicle shall be attached to the rear thereof and shall be so displayed during the current registration year or years. A Kansas registered vehicle shall have no registration plate for any year on the front of the vehicle, except that: (a) The license plate issued for a truck tractor shall be attached to the front of the truck tractor; (b) a model year license plate may be attached to the front of an antique vehicle, in accordance with K.S.A. 8-172, and amendments thereto; or (c) a personalized license plate as authorized under subsection (c) of K.S.A. 8-132, and amendments thereto, may be attached to the front of a passenger vehicle or truck. Every license plate shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned so as to prevent the plate from swinging, and at a height not less than 12 inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible. During any period in which the construction of license plates has been suspended pursuant to the provisions of K.S.A. 8-132, and amendments thereto, the plate, tag, token, marker or sign assigned to such vehicle shall be attached to and displayed on such vehicle in such place, position, manner and condition as shall be prescribed by the director of vehicles

http://kansasstatutes.lesterama.org/Chapter_8/Article_1/8-133.html

wild1
05-12-2009, 11:37 PM
I had expired tags once, and what the fine was going to be for was "failure to register vehicle". I think it was going to be $200-300.

I would wonder if basically using fake plates on your car would not bring a charge of its own as well...

BWillie
05-13-2009, 12:51 AM
I remember growing up always seeing "in transit" pieces of paper in the back window. Apparently that isn't kosher anymore, or maybe never was. I used to wonder how in the world people get away with that because I've been pulled over driving my vehicle a day after I bought it and they still gave me a ticket when I couldn't possibly have gone to the dot yet because it isn't open on Sunday.