PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request I don't know if I could handle being a parent

Demonpenz
05-13-2009, 10:10 PM
http://omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10632378

Tom and Amy Ford of Ainsworth, Neb., buried their 16-year-old daughter last weekend.

Click to Enlarge

Ashley and Andrew Ford
Now the couple is planning a funeral for their 21-year-old son.

Ashley Ford and Andrew Ford died in traffic accidents within a week of each other.

A family friend, the Rev. Bruce Beebout of Valentine, said the Fords are coping with the deaths as best they can.

"Right now, they are just trying to survive," Beebout said.

Andrew died Monday in a collision on Nebraska Highway 20. He was a passenger in a 2009 Ford Explorer driven by his 19-year-old brother Adam.

The crash occurred just two days after Ashley's funeral. She died May 4 in an accident on her way to Ainsworth High, where she was a sophomore.

Jennifer Weiss, 20, of Ainsworth was a year behind Andrew in high school and at Chadron State College, where he was preparing for his senior year starting next fall.

She said her hometown of about 1,800 has been rocked by the deaths.

"I worked today in the grocery store and everyone was really straight-faced, having a hard time breaking a smile," Weiss said. "Everyone knows everybody else in town, so Andrew's death really hit hard."

Weiss said the Ford family is well-liked and respected.

Ashley took after her mother with a "sweet" disposition and "a very caring attitude," she said. Weiss played summer softball with Ashley.

Weiss said she could always hang out with Andrew at college because of their hometown bond. "He was really great, very easy to be around," she said.

Adam Ford was released from the hospital Tuesday afternoon and was resting at home.

Tom Ford works for the KBR Rural Public Power District, while Amy is a licensed practical nurse at Brown County Hospital.

Darrell Peterson, superintendent of the Ainsworth Community Schools, said it has been an extremely difficult week for students and staff due to the deaths. Crisis teams have been on the scene to counsel students and staff, he said.

"We have received a great deal of support from community organizations, surrounding schools and the general public," Peterson said. "Our sincere condolences go out to the (Ford) family during this tragic time."

Andrew was a 2006 graduate of Ainsworth High.

In high school, he excelled at wrestling. He was named second-team all-state in Class C by the Nebraska Scholastic Wrestling Coaches Association in his senior year.

Randy Rhine, vice president of student services at Chadron State, said Andrew was a good student who was on track to graduate in the spring of 2010.

Andrew, a business administration major with an emphasis in agriculture, was involved in student government and had just been elected as cultural affairs coordinator for the coming year.

Services for Andrew will be at 2 p.m. Friday at McAndrew Gymnasium on the Ainsworth Community Schools campus. It's the same place where Ashley's funeral was held.

Donations for a scholarship in the names of Andrew and Ashley are being accepted by the family.

Brown County Attorney David Streich said the Explorer driven by Adam Ford was eastbound and crashed into the back of a pickup truck at the end of a line of vehicles waiting for the OK to proceed at a construction site on Highway 20. The accident was about eight miles west of Ainsworth.

The pickup in turn pushed into the rear of a 1978 Ford F-150 driven by Mark Sedlacek, 30, of Ainsworth, who was not seriously injured.

Andrew was pronounced dead at the scene about 4:30 p.m. Adam and the pickup's driver, Doug Pankowski, 51, of Ainsworth were both taken to Brown County Hospital. Pankowski's injuries were not considered life-threatening.

All involved in the accident were wearing seat belts. Streich said several road signs were in place well in advance of the construction site.

Ashley died following a two-vehicle crash just northeast of Ainsworth, when the pickup she was driving collided with another pickup at the intersection of two county roads.

Demonpenz
05-13-2009, 10:13 PM
I don't need this to be sticky'd or anything I just thought it was horrible and I thought if someone was like gosh darn this tv or something they could say well atleast this didn't happen to me

Mr. Flopnuts
05-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Talk about winning the lottery in reverse. In back to back drawings. That is so much more than terrible.

Bugeater
05-13-2009, 10:22 PM
At least they died doing what they loved.

Demonpenz
05-13-2009, 10:23 PM
At least they died doing what they loved.

asshole lmao

big nasty kcnut
05-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Dang someone must of hated them to
Cursed them like that.
Rip
Posted via Mobile Device

big nasty kcnut
05-13-2009, 10:39 PM
I hope that a couple of evil folks will be killed. So balance can be restored.

Buehler445
05-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Damn. Demon showing signs of being human.

That's a shitty shitty story.

Demonpenz
05-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Damn. Demon showing signs of being human.

That's a shitty shitty story.

i like to think I show signs of being human already on here. I always talk about how awesome my mom and dad are, I love God (even though I have no idea what his plans are or what the hell his deal is), I am always willing to lay it on the line here on chiefsplanet

Mr. Flopnuts
05-13-2009, 10:59 PM
i like to think I show signs of being human already on here. I always talk about how awesome my mom and dad are, I love God (even though I have no idea what his plans are or what the hell his deal is), I am always willing to lay it on the line here on chiefsplanet

Penz is also good with showing you how real ballers roll in St. Joe.

Bugeater
05-13-2009, 11:01 PM
:rockon:

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pyemGXWHkTo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

KcMizzou
05-13-2009, 11:10 PM
i like to think I show signs of being human already on here. I always talk about how awesome my mom and dad are, I love God (even though I have no idea what his plans are or what the hell his deal is), I am always willing to lay it on the line here on chiefsplanetDamned right.

As for being a parent, nobody's ever really ready. But you figure it out real quick, because you have no other choice. You make it work, and learn as you go.

(As for the article... I literally can't imagine how those parents can even cope. My guess would be shock. Props to them for even being able to function, after all that.)

Phobia
05-14-2009, 06:19 AM
This is horrible. It's hard enough losing a child you never knew. I can't imagine raising one for years and then losing them.

luv
05-14-2009, 06:28 AM

Dur to our little CP rep party last night, I can't give you rep yet. You've got it coming, though.

luv
05-14-2009, 06:31 AM
About being a parent, I'm not sure, either. When I was younger, that was my dream. Grow up, get married, have kids, and write. Life hasn't turned out like I planned it at all. If I ever have kids, I think I'd be a good mom, but if I don't have kids I won't be disappointed, so to speak.

Iowanian
05-14-2009, 06:34 AM
Thanks for that, Demon-Downer.

That would be terrible.

BigRedChief
05-14-2009, 06:40 AM
I like being a parent. PTA, little league baseball, sleepovers, watching them discover and learn about "stuff" and theirselfs. But man is there a downside. Worry constantly about their choices and when they get to be teenagers they know everything already so their listening skills are on hold.

EyePod
05-14-2009, 07:11 AM
I agree. A fellow classmate died in a car accident. He was going to graduate this June. I think he died in Feb. It sucks.

Thig Lyfe
05-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Ashley Ford and Andrew Ford died in traffic accidents within a week of each other.

Of course they did.

Phobia
05-14-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm guessing the distraction and grief from Ashley's death contributed greatly to the second accident. When people are under that much stress they should be extra attentive or stay at home. We take driving for granted and it can kill any of us at any moment.

stevieray
05-14-2009, 08:21 AM
I don't even want to imagine what it would be like if I lost my two girls.

Devastating.

Jenson71
05-14-2009, 08:42 AM
I agree. A fellow classmate died in a car accident. He was going to graduate this June. I think he died in Feb. It sucks.

I had a math teacher in high school who told our class a few times that by going through the stats, within five years, one of us would be dead somehow.

Donger
05-14-2009, 08:55 AM
That's unbelievably tragic. I can't even imagine (and don't really want to).

That being said, the preponderance of "Ford" is really, really creepy.

Deberg_1990
05-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Wow...sad.

Im reminded of that great scene in the the movie "Parenthood" between Martin and Robards.

Frank: You know, when you were two years old, we thought you had polio. Did you know that?

Gil: Yeah, Mom said... something about it a couple of years ago.

Frank: Yeah, well, for a week we didn't know. I hated you for that.
[Gil looks surprised and hurt]

Frank: I did. I hated having to care, having to go through the pain, the hurt, the suffering. It's not for me.

It never, ever ends.....you never stop caring.

cmh6476
05-14-2009, 10:00 AM
losing a child has to be the worst thing in the world. I wouldn't know first-hand, and I hope I never will. But I have seen my mom go through it when my brother passed away 5 years ago, and it's something I would never wish on anyone. This would be the ultimate suck, I'm sure these parents are now questioning their desire to live, as would I if I lost both my little chitlins.

kc rush
05-14-2009, 10:27 AM
losing a child has to be the worst thing in the world. I wouldn't know first-hand, and I hope I never will. But I have seen my mom go through it when my brother passed away 5 years ago, and it's something I would never wish on anyone. This would be the ultimate suck, I'm sure these parents are now questioning their desire to live, as would I if I lost both my little chitlins.

Same thing here. Lost my brother in a car accident 15 years ago. Still bothers me and my parents have never been the same.

I would be devastated if I lost either of my boys.

I see parents on the news talking about the loss of their kids matter-of-factly (if that's a word), and I know I wouldn't be like that. I'd be losing my mind. I guess different people respond in different ways, so it may be a matter of shock or acceptance.