PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV The Road

Jenson71
05-14-2009, 06:46 PM
The Road trailer is up.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810037227/video/13468775/

It's not working for me currently, but perhaps it will work for you.

I loved this book. I loved it more than any fictional book I've read in a long time. I think you need to read it, if you haven't already. I think it says something about the good and bad in people that needs to be thought about. McCarthy agreed that it was a love story to his son. I think it's one of strongest testaments I've ever read about those bonds. I'm not sure what can come close.

ZootedGranny
05-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Whatever it takes to get people into the theater, I guess, even if it means misrepresenting the movie and the events within.

Then again, maybe Hillcoat turned it into an action flick with twice the amount of wife flashbacks, an explanation of the cause of the apocalyspe, and canned screams.

Pants
05-14-2009, 07:01 PM
Wow. Looks amazing.

Pants
05-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Whatever it takes to get people into the theater, I guess, even if it means misrepresenting the movie and the events within.

Then again, maybe Hillcoat turned it into an action flick with twice the amount of wife flashbacks, an explanation of the cause of the apocalyspe, and canned screams.

Oh, ok. So you're saying read the book 1st. K.

Jenson71
05-14-2009, 07:11 PM

So the link works for you? Hmm.

I don't want to see this movie be commercialized. I really, really do not. I heard from an acquinance on another board that there are rumors the trailer is commercialized but the film itself is not.

Reaper16
05-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Omar, ftw

ZootedGranny
05-14-2009, 07:28 PM
I heard from an acquinance on another board that there are rumors the trailer is commercialized but the film itself is not.

I don't think for one second that The Road will be the film the trailer portrays, I just wished this trailer was a better representation of the film. I understand the Weinsteins want to put asses in seats, but it could've been done even without a heavy, somber tone.

EDIT: Just in time, an Esquire article (http://www.esquire.com/features/movies/the-road-movie-review-0609) with a bit about the process:

The odd thing is, the start of each trailer includes glimpses of a storm, panicky news footage, little puzzle pieces of the world before it ended. No one — not the director or the myriad producers, not the novelist or the screenwriter — had ever even hinted at how it happened, until this.

For someone who loves the book, for anyone who knows the story going in, this is a moment you hoped would never come. Why remind us of the reductive logic of cause and effect? Before the question can be asked, Weinstein stands up, offers his hand, and says, "Okay, we're going with the first one." He gives no rationale. And so it seems the metonymic references to the national news, to the weather, to presumed military conflicts laid in as a tonally quiet explanation of what is never known in book or movie, for now will stay in the trailer.

On the other side of the planet, at home in Australia, Hillcoat's been hearing about these trailers. "We're so conditioned by postapocalyptic films to be centered on a big event, and they become this high-concept thing. And here there's this total absence, this negation of explanation. We have to stay with that. So yeah. That's gonna be a challenge."

KCChiefsMan
05-15-2009, 12:30 AM
that looks amazing! I love the cast, that book has been next on my list to read. I've only read a couple of Cormac McCarthy's books (No Country for Old Men and All the Pretty Horses) I've been meaning to read this, now I have the perfect excuse to read it before the movie comes out. I can't wait! I'm gonna go buy it tomorrow if I can find it.

Miles
05-15-2009, 12:38 AM
that looks amazing! I love the cast, that book has been next on my list to read. I've only read a couple of Cormac McCarthy's books (No Country for Old Men and All the Pretty Horses) I've been meaning to read this, now I have the perfect excuse to read it before the movie comes out. I can't wait! I'm gonna go buy it tomorrow if I can find it.

It should be pretty easy to find at any Barnes and Noble or Boarders. If you have a Barnes and Noble nearby you can check to see if they have it online.

How was All the Pretty Horses? I have had that on my list and the other two parts of the "border trilogy" for a while but haven't gotten around to them.

KCChiefsMan
05-15-2009, 12:42 AM
All the Pretty Horses was a great read I thought. I'm gonna go down to Borders tomorrow, grab a nice cup of joe and pick that book up. I'm actually excited about it.

Miles
05-15-2009, 12:48 AM
All the Pretty Horses was a great read I thought. I'm gonna go down to Borders tomorrow, grab a nice cup of joe and pick that book up. I'm actually excited about it.

Hope you enjoy it. I thought it was a very quick read but among one of the better books I have read. Also one that I would consider re-reading and I have never read the same book twice before.

I may give All the Pretty Horses a go soon. The other of his I have been meaning to read for a while is Blood Meridian.

Deberg_1990
05-15-2009, 09:36 AM

Theres been a rumour for years that the movie version has alot better directors cut.

Apparantly the Weinsteins interferred alot with Billy Bob's version.

blaise
05-15-2009, 01:18 PM
I've read reviews from a person that claimed he saw a cut at a screening in NY. It seemed like the guy actually watched it. He claimed it was very true to the book and not commercialized. It took months for them to straighten out the score. I sort of thought they should go totally without one, but we'll see. I loved the book.