PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Angels and Demons

Nightwish
05-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Caught the midnight showing last night. It wasn't bad, but wasn't all it was hyped up to be, either. I haven't read the book, but I had pretty much figured out who the bad guy was about half an hour into it. It didn't seem as anti-Catholic as I expected it to be, in fact, it was pretty friendly to them.

DaneMcCloud
05-15-2009, 12:07 PM
It was a much better book than "The Da Vinci Code" and so far, the reviews have been much kinder to it than the previous movie. Sony already has the movie rights to Dan Brown's next book which will be released in September, so be ready for another Robert Langdon thriller soon.

We're going tomorrow night at Arclight. Supposedly, the city of Rome is the real star of the film.

Frazod
05-15-2009, 12:18 PM
The book was stupid - granted, there were some interesting aspects, but frankly I'd rather have read a factual account of all the interesting background stuff. I can't imagine how any movie based on that book won't be stupid as well.

I'm thinking National Treasure Does Rome, with Tom Hanks instead of Nicholas Cage.

Fish
05-15-2009, 12:20 PM
I enjoyed the book. But I have little intention of seeing the movie.....

Deberg_1990
05-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Ill never understand the hype over these films??

Ron Howard and Hanks are both just in it for the paycheck. They are both above this material. The first one put me to sleeeeeeeeep...........

DaneMcCloud
05-15-2009, 12:57 PM
Ill never understand the hype over these films??

Ron Howard and Hanks are both just in it for the paycheck. They are both above this material. The first one put me to sleeeeeeeeep...........

Above the material? I highly disagree.

Tom Hanks hasn't had a decent role before Robert Langdon since "Saving Private Ryan".

Ron Howard is a "blockbuster" guy all the way. He's not "shoot 'em up" like Michael Bay, but he's certainly not a "small film", Indie kind of a guy.

And $768 million dollars worldwide pretty much insures a sequel or two.

They are what they are.

Nightwish
05-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Above what? Above making fictional films? Or above making films which present alternate histories on a major world religion? Unless you're a hardcore Catholic, I see no reason to impugn the subject matter as "beneath" anyone.

Frazod
05-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Above what? Above making fictional films? Or above making films which present alternate histories on a major world religion? Unless you're a hardcore Catholic, I see no reason to impugn the subject matter as "beneath" anyone.

I think what he's saying is that they generally don't make films based on stupid subject matter.

I don't give two shits about offending Catholics. The book was dumb. The end.

DaneMcCloud
05-15-2009, 01:15 PM
I think what he's saying is that they generally don't make films based on stupid subject matter.

I enjoyed the book until the end. I loved the stuff about the Illuminati, the "secret Vatican treasures", etc.

The ending felt like a bad afternoon television soap opera.

Frazod
05-15-2009, 01:20 PM
I enjoyed the book until the end. I loved the stuff about the Illuminati, the "secret Vatican treasures", etc.

Yes. The classic "you've gotta be shittin me" ending.

Deberg_1990
05-15-2009, 01:26 PM

I might have worded my original post wrong.

Your right, howard has always been blockbuster and mainstream all the way.

I just think the source material is dry. I was HUGELY disappointed in the original flick.

Hanks sleepwalked and i suspect Howard was bored as well because it was a sloooow flick.

Howard has made alot better films. Any joe schmoe could have made that last flick.

Nightwish
05-15-2009, 01:27 PM

Like I said, I haven't read the book, but given the popularity and hype for the both the book and the movie, I'd say you're very much in the minority if you feel the subject matter is stupid. Of course, there's not a person on earth who speaks with any authority at all when it comes to defining literary subject matter as "brilliant" or "stupid," because it is so entirely subjective.

Deberg_1990
05-15-2009, 01:37 PM
Compare Davinci Demons entertainment value to past Howard flicks:

Frost/Nixon
The Missing
Cinderella Man
Backdraft
Parenthood
Appolo 13
Splash
Cocoon
etc....

Its not even close.

Frazod
05-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Like I said, I haven't read the book, but given the popularity and hype for the both the book and the movie, I'd say you're very much in the minority if you feel the subject matter is stupid. Of course, there's not a person on earth who speaks with any authority at all when it comes to defining literary subject matter as "brilliant" or "stupid," because it is so entirely subjective.

Dude, it's NATIONAL TREASURE set in Rome. With a stupid, shitty ending.

Deberg_1990
05-15-2009, 01:55 PM

At least the National Treasure movies are entertaining nonsense.

Langdon is the most passive hero ive ever seen.

DaneMcCloud
05-15-2009, 02:00 PM

Yuck.

The first NT was "okay".

The second? Worse than Nick Cage's cod piece.

Frazod

Yes.

Also, "popular" does not necessarily mean "good." Lots of people watch Survivor. Lots of people watch Pro Wrestling.

And I assume many of the people who like Survivor and Pro Wrestling will probably enjoy Angels & Demons.

DaneMcCloud

Frost/Nixon
The Missing
Cinderella Man
Backdraft
Parenthood
Appolo 13
Splash
Cocoon
etc....

Its not even close.

I'm not going to get into movie rankings but personally, I only find a couple of those films even to be watchable.

Frazod
05-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Yuck.

The first NT was "okay".

The second? Worse than Nick Cage's cod piece.

I liked the part where they put Sylvan Lake on top of Mount Rushmore. :spock:

DaneMcCloud
05-15-2009, 02:03 PM
I liked the part where they put Sylvan Lake on top of Mount Rushmore. :spock:

I think that steaming pile of crap pretty much is my "Signs".

And to think they're going to do at least two more "NT" films...

Nightwish
05-15-2009, 02:04 PM

Frost/Nixon
The Missing
Cinderella Man
Backdraft
Parenthood
Appolo 13
Splash
Cocoon
etc....

Its not even close.
It must be a Ron Howard trait. With one or two exceptions, everything you listed above was a complete yawn-fest.

Frazod
05-15-2009, 02:07 PM
I think that steaming pile of crap pretty much is my "Signs".

And to think they're going to do at least two more "NT" films...

Sylvan Lake is probably my favorite place on earth. And now there are 20 million idiots out there who think it's on top of a friggin mountain.

They got their stupid on something I care about. It offended me.

DaneMcCloud
05-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Sylvan Lake is probably my favorite place on earth. And now there are 20 million idiots out there who think it's on top of a friggin mountain.

They got their stupid on something I care about. It offended me.

You know, next time I see Jon, I'll ask him why they made that asinine decision. It probably won't be for a while because he's filming another Nick Cage movie in NY but when I do, I'll let you know what he says.

Frazod
05-15-2009, 02:36 PM
You know, next time I see Jon, I'll ask him why they made that asinine decision. It probably won't be for a while because he's filming another Nick Cage movie in NY but when I do, I'll let you know what he says.

Tell him I said "Kiss my ass."

DaneMcCloud
05-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Tell him I said "Kiss my ass."

ROFL

Well, you know that I did share the story about his reaction when I told him I waited to see the original on DVD instead of at the theaters. And, I jokingly accused him of stealing all of his Mason knowledge from the Da Vinci Code in front of a table full of people at dinner.

You know, maybe I'm NOT all that different in real life!

Deberg_1990
05-15-2009, 02:57 PM
It must be a Ron Howard trait. With one or two exceptions, everything you listed above was a complete yawn-fest.

Ahh...i see your more of a Willow type fan then. :)

Frazod
05-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Ahh...i see your more of a Willow type fan then. :)

Oh God I hated that movie. Ron Howard's Waterworld, except for some reason people like it. A shameless rip-off of Star Wars, with a midget Luke and Val Kilmer as Solo.

Hammock Parties
05-15-2009, 03:32 PM

I like DVC better than NT.

Langdon isn't really supposed to be a typical "hero" IMO. More like a guy who just stumbles upon stuff and somehow manages to avoid getting offed by pure luck.

Frazod
05-15-2009, 03:34 PM

Langdon isn't really supposed to be a typical "hero" IMO. More like a guy who just stumbles upon stuff and somehow manages to avoid getting offed by pure luck.

over and over and over and over and over and over and over

05-15-2009, 03:37 PM
the first movie was awful IMO. Don't think I will take a look at this one until it shows up in my local library.

Jilly
05-15-2009, 03:44 PM
We just saw it and I liked it. Always makes me want to brush up on my church history

Simply Red
05-15-2009, 03:51 PM
i'm sure it's, OVER *clap, clap, clap* RATED.

05-15-2009, 03:56 PM
i'm sure it's, OVER *clap, clap, clap* RATED.It's one of those movies the media loves to overhype.

Hammock Parties
05-15-2009, 03:57 PM
It's one of those movies the media loves to overhype.

The media isn't overhyping this one. 38 percent on RT.

Simply Red
05-15-2009, 03:59 PM
It's one of those movies the media loves to overhype.

basically, yes. I agree.

Simply Red
05-15-2009, 04:00 PM
The media isn't overhyping this one. 38 percent on RT.

yeah but, Rotten Tomatoes isn't 'Entertainment Tonight.'

Sure-Oz
05-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Watched davinci code the other night to prepare for this one, im still looking forward to seeing it. The review is atleast double on RT than it was for the 1st one, which isnt saying much.

26% to 41

Deberg_1990
05-15-2009, 04:03 PM

See, thats what i mean, hes passive. He does nothing. He adds nothing to the story. It would make no difference if he was there or not. BORING.

05-15-2009, 04:07 PM
The media isn't overhyping this one. 38 percent on RT.I'm more referring to television media. I haven't been paying much attention to this one though as I have ZERO interest in seeing it. I just know I am getting sick of the commercials touting it as GREAT. I love the comment that it is even better than the first movie. Like that was hard to accomplish since it was awful to begin with.

DaneMcCloud
05-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Oh God I hated that movie. Ron Howard's Waterworld, except for some reason people like it. A shameless rip-off of Star Wars, with a midget Luke and Val Kilmer as Solo.

That's because George Lucas wrote it, produced and held Ron Howard's hand during the filming.

Lucas at one point actually had all of the main Star Wars characters as "little people".

ROFL

Hammock Parties
05-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Willow > Howard The Duck

Don't care what anyone says.

Deberg_1990
05-15-2009, 06:01 PM
That's because George Lucas wrote it, produced and held Ron Howard's hand during the filming.

Lucas at one point actually had all of the main Star Wars characters as "little people".

ROFL

I actually like it. Liked it more of course 20 years ago, but its ok.

Val Kilmer was very good in that.

DaneMcCloud
05-15-2009, 06:03 PM
I actually like it. Liked it more of course 20 years ago, but its ok.

Val Kilmer was very good in that.

I liked it, too. I bought it on DVD years and years ago but haven't watched in at least 8 years.

Hammock Parties
05-15-2009, 06:13 PM
The best thing about Willow is the soundtrack. James Horner rules.

DaneMcCloud
05-15-2009, 06:29 PM
James Horner rules.

Did Titanic make you cry?

Deberg_1990
05-15-2009, 06:35 PM
The best thing about Willow is the soundtrack. James Horner rules.

My fave of his are Breaveheart and Star Trek II.

Everything else he just stole from himself...over and over and over again...

keg in kc
05-15-2009, 06:46 PM
I think I'm going to see star trek again.

Hammock Parties
05-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Did Titanic make you cry?

Fuck Titanic. I've never watched that shit beginning to end. I saw about 30 minutes of it in the theater and brief snippets on TV.

Hammock Parties
05-15-2009, 06:51 PM
My fave of his are Breaveheart and Star Trek II.

Everything else he just stole from himself...over and over and over again...

ST3 has some good stuff, too. Stealing The Enterprise is friggin' AMAZING.

His Zorro stuff is solid work, also.

ALSO ENJOYED: Legends of the Fall, Rocketeer, Aliens (this is actually one of my favorite "quiet" soundtracks).

keg in kc
05-15-2009, 06:54 PM
**** Titanic. I've never watched that shit beginning to end. I saw about 30 minutes of it in the theater and brief snippets on TV.Titanic is one of my least favorite movies of all time.

DaneMcCloud
05-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Titanic is one of my least favorite movies of all time.

It was such a hot topic at Paramount in the 90's, I refused to even watch it.

I was sick of it without ever having seen it.

Hammock Parties
05-15-2009, 07:00 PM
It was like the ultimate chick flick.

And I actually LIKE DiCaprio. I liked him in Catch Me If You Can, and I LOVED Gangs of New York.

But I HATED the m'fer for a long time because of Tit-anic.

Deberg_1990
05-15-2009, 07:09 PM
It was such a hot topic at Paramount in the 90's, I refused to even watch it.

I was sick of it without ever having seen it.

Its decent. IM a HUGE Cameron fan, but honestly its his worst flick IMO.

The love story is the weakest part of the flick for me and its why it was so popular with chicks.

The manly parts (the opening 20 minutes) the ship sinking, etc...are very, very good.

I like the love story in The Abyss much better.

Jilly
05-15-2009, 07:14 PM
Its decent. IM a HUGE Cameron fan, but honestly its his worst flick IMO.

The love story is the weakest part of the flick for me and its why it was so popular with chicks.

The manly parts (the opening 20 minutes) the ship sinking, etc...are very, very good.

I like the love story in The Abyss much better.

I just saw abyss recently and thought it was amazing such a social justice theme behind it.

Deberg_1990
05-15-2009, 07:17 PM
I just saw abyss recently and thought it was amazing such a social justice theme behind it.

Very cool.

The story behind the making of that flick is incredible. They filmed nearly everything underwater in a huge tank. All those underwater scenes are real.

Ironically that was one of the first flicks to use CGI.

Jilly
05-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Very cool.

The story behind the making of that flick is incredible. They filmed nearly everything underwater in a huge tank. All those underwater scenes are real.

Ironically that was one of the first flicks to use CGI.

I need to check that out... Though in a weird way that kind of stuff freaks me out

Mosbonian
05-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Wow...does anybody ever go to a movie just for the entertainment value anymore?

When I go to watch a movie, no matter how much the hype tries to convince me that the movie is based on facts, I always am there to be entertained, not educated. If I wanted complete facts I can do the research myself....

I doubt very seriously there has ever been a movie made that hasn't taken some literary license in it's story line.

mmaddog

Fairplay
05-15-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm thinking National Treasure Does Rome, with Tom Hanks instead of Nicholas Cage.

That is a little overboard comparing Hanks to Cage in National Treasure.
I will still check it out.

Fairplay
05-15-2009, 07:37 PM
I like it when a movie will say "based on a true story".

And you read the actual story and their isn't much in common at all.

Fargo for example.

Thig Lyfe
05-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Dan Brown is a retard and America is retarded for making him so rich.

Fairplay
05-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Dan Brown is a retard and America is retarded for making him so rich.

It gives us more reason to try and get rich. Even he pulled it off we think to ourselves.

Fairplay
05-15-2009, 08:12 PM
It probably won't be for a while because he's filming another Nick Cage movie in NY but when I do, I'll let you know what he says.

I can't wait to see it. :rolleyes:

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-16-2009, 07:27 AM
It was a much better book than "The Da Vinci Code" and so far, the reviews have been much kinder to it than the previous movie. Sony already has the movie rights to Dan Brown's next book which will be released in September, so be ready for another Robert Langdon thriller soon.

We're going tomorrow night at Arclight. Supposedly, the city of Rome is the real star of the film.

Yep. I think the books do fine by themselves. His shit doesn't translate well to the screen because much like Anne Rice( who is a billion times more detail-oriented, just to make sure the Planet knows ); so much detail gets left out.

Enjoy the sights and the art.

I'm looking forward to 'The Solomon Key'. The movie? Not so much.

Hammock Parties
05-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Yep. I think the books do fine by themselves. His shit doesn't translate well to the screen because much like Anne Rice( who is a billion times more detail-oriented, just to make sure the Planet knows ); so much detail gets left out.

Enjoy the sights and the art.

I get into the history, the spectacle and the intrigue more than anything. The characters are secondary.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-16-2009, 08:22 AM
I get into the history, the spectacle and the intrigue more than anything. The characters are secondary.

Yeah, but his "history"-take is so surface, you shouldn't take it as gospel. He leaves a lot out and he stretches things a bit too.

Hammock Parties
05-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Yeah, but his "history"-take is so surface, you shouldn't take it as gospel. He leaves a lot out and he stretches things a bit too.

Alternate history can be entertaining, too. :D

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Alternate history can be entertaining, too. :D

You'd be surprised at how much history IS "alternate history".:D

Hammock Parties
05-16-2009, 08:31 AM
You'd be surprised at how much history IS "alternate history".:D

Bleeding C-of-E. The Mohmedans don't come 'round here wavin' bells at us! We don't get Buddhists playing bagpipes in our bathroom! Or Hindus harmonizing in the hall! The Shintuists don't come here shattering sheet glass in the shithouse, shouting slogans...

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Bleeding C-of-E. The Mohmedans don't come 'round here wavin' bells at us! We don't get Buddhists playing bagpipes in our bathroom! Or Hindus harmonizing in the hall! The Shintuists don't come here shattering sheet glass in the shithouse, shouting slogans...

ROFL

DaneMcCloud
05-16-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm looking forward to 'The Solomon Key'. The movie? Not so much.

It's been renamed as "The Lost Symbol".

It hits bookstores September 15th.

Gravedigger
05-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Above the material? I highly disagree.

Tom Hanks hasn't had a decent role before Robert Langdon since "Saving Private Ryan".

Ron Howard is a "blockbuster" guy all the way. He's not "shoot 'em up" like Michael Bay, but he's certainly not a "small film", Indie kind of a guy.

And $768 million dollars worldwide pretty much insures a sequel or two.

They are what they are.

It's all based on name recognition, everyone and their mother read the davinci code in book form, even people who didnt like to read books, then the movie comes out and book readers who loved the book told their friends to go see the movie. Their friends sat back and said "Tom Hanks, Ron Howard... could be good."

I was one of these people who didnt read the book till after the movie was released and I was so much more impressed with the book. The movie didn't flow like the book did, and the first time it put me to sleep as well. I watched the movie two more times after that hoping that it was one of those it will grow on you once you've watched it a few times, but if I want to see a great movie involving religion I'll pop in my Dogma dvd.

Jenson71
05-16-2009, 11:46 AM
I had to read The Da Vinci Code for a college reading and writing course. Now that is abuse and a disgrace. I didn't recognize it at the time though, when I was a freshman. I've only had one experience worse than that in college -- Classical Political Theory where we talked about current events half of the class and OH MY GOD FUCK THAT CLASS.

CoMoChief
05-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Starts out slow. I thought this was a good movie. I think the DaVinci Code though is a better story to make a movie out of. But the Angels and Demons book is better than the Davinci Code book. Kinda weird but its how I feel.

Frazod
05-16-2009, 01:04 PM

Didn't notice this before - I have to strongly disagree.

Since Private Ryan, he's done Green Mile, Road to Perdition and Charlie Wilson's War. Those are all well above decent roles, especially Road to Perdition.

DaneMcCloud
05-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Didn't notice this before - I have to strongly disagree.

Since Private Ryan, he's done Green Mile, Road to Perdition and Charlie Wilson's War. Those are all well above decent roles, especially Road to Perdition.

I never saw the Green Mile, so you got me there. I didn't care for Road to Perdition but I did like Charlie Wilson's War.

I just didn't buy his "Southern" accent.

J Diddy
05-16-2009, 01:28 PM
I never saw the Green Mile, so you got me there. I didn't care for Road to Perdition but I did like Charlie Wilson's War.

Green Mile was great imo.

Deberg_1990
05-16-2009, 02:45 PM

Love, love love, Road to Perdition. I like how he played against type and did it well IMO.

DaneMcCloud
05-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Love, love love, Road to Perdition. I like how he played against type and did it well IMO.

Really? It SO totally bored me. I thought the whole movies was predictable and to me, it seemed like all of the actors were sleepwalking.

I know it received a ton of industry accolades. I just didn't understand why.

Frazod
05-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Really? It SO totally bored me. I thought the whole movies was predictable and to me, it seemed like all of the actors were sleepwalking.

I know it received a ton of industry accolades. I just didn't understand why.

I thought Road to Perdition was fantastic - almost Godfather level.

And if you haven't seen Green Mile, you should.

Ebolapox
05-16-2009, 03:45 PM
I thought it was decent--I enjoy dan brown's books, they're decent brain candy. however, a few things really bugged me about the movie--first, A&D wasn't a fucking sequel... it's the first book he did, and timeline-wise was BEFORE daV code. also, they left out a few key character-plot points that I felt were hugely relevant (the pope having a son, and it being the chamberlain who ultimately kills him. then, having the story told to the chamberlain by the chief elector [who was devil's advocate when the father/pope BECAME pope]--the preceding would have REALLY given substance as to why he went all burning monk...)

anyway, it wasn't horrible, I enjoyed it, but it left a lot....to be desired.

Hammock Parties
05-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Is it worth it to see it in DLP?

Mojo Jojo
05-16-2009, 04:12 PM

I agree. It reminded me of a Stephen King book. A lot of detail keeps moving and then it is like he wants to wrap the story up in the next ten pages. Just make an ending that may or may not have anything to do with the rest of the book.

DaneMcCloud
05-16-2009, 04:14 PM
I thought Road to Perdition was fantastic - almost Godfather level.

I understand and appreciate that many, many people liked that movie. Maybe I need to give it another chance. Maybe I was in the wrong mood, etc.

And if you haven't seen Green Mile, you should.

I know. Everytime it comes on cable, I seem to turn it on like 40 minutes in. One of these days...

keg in kc
05-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Green Mile is a movie I went to see on a very uncomfortable date night, and although I know it's a very good movie, I've still never gotten myself to watch it again, all these years later. And I've had it on DVD since it came out.

Katipan
05-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Green Mile is a movie I went to see on a very uncomfortable date night, and although I know it's a very good movie, I've still never gotten myself to watch it again, all these years later. And I've had it on DVD since it came out.

I remember not wanting to watch the movie because I heard it had a sad ending. So everyone in the house swore up and down that it had a happy ending and that he didn't end up dying. So the entire time until they flipped the switch I thought something miraculous was going to happen.

I was pissed.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-16-2009, 06:36 PM
I remember not wanting to watch the movie because I heard it had a sad ending. So everyone in the house swore up and down that it had a happy ending and that he didn't end up dying. So the entire time until they flipped the switch I thought something miraculous was going to happen.

I was pissed.

:D
You got "Old Yeller'd".

Frazod
05-16-2009, 07:14 PM

If you think that's a shitty date movie, try War of the Roses.

Fuck.

:banghead:

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-16-2009, 07:22 PM

Fuck.

:banghead:

Mike Douglas?

Frazod
05-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Mike Douglas?

And Kathleen Turner.

Pretty much the absolute worst fucking movie you could EVER take a date to - about a bitter divorce that takes a turn into the psychotic. I thought because of the cast (Douglas, Turner & Danny DeVito) that it was another sequel to Romancing the Stone.

WRONG.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-16-2009, 07:36 PM
And Kathleen Turner.

Pretty much the absolute worst fucking movie you could EVER take a date to - about a bitter divorce that takes a turn into the psychotic. I thought because of the cast (Douglas, Turner & Danny DeVito) that it was another sequel to Romancing the Stone.

WRONG.

Oh I remember it, and I feel for your lost time. That shit starts to count when you get older!:D

keg in kc
05-16-2009, 07:37 PM

:banghead:It wasn't that it was a shitty date movie, it was a shitty date. Sort of. Whatever we saw was going to be...awkward.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Why does the server keep spitting the same post out over and over? This makes three times I've been sent "keg's" response at the end of this thread.

Nightwish
05-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Why does the server keep spitting the same post out over and over? This makes three times I've been set "keg's" response at the end of this thread.
It's acting funny tonight. I've noticed it too.

DaneMcCloud
05-17-2009, 02:07 PM

Alright, so I saw the film last night. It wasn't terrible and it wasn't great. I'd give it 2.5 stars out of 5.

The Good:

Much better actors this time around. Vittoria's character was portrayed by a much better actress than the heroine in DVC. The Italian actors were quite good and convincing. Ewan McGregor was perfect as usual, as was Stellan Skarsgard and Armin Mueller-Stahl. The "Hassassin" was portrayed ruthlessley but his backstory was sorely missed (more on that later).

The city of Rome was really the star of the film. Having been to the cafe right outside of the Pantheon, it was nice to see it and other Roman landmarks.

The climax of the film is done quite well and fortunately for those who have read the book, they left out the part of the Camerlengo being the Pope's actual son (that was ridiculous. We're supposed to believe that a Priest has a child with a nun and that same priest rises up to become the Pope, all done in secrecy? Nonsense). The climax and ending were done in such a way that it didn't come across as corny and goofy as it did in the book (at least to me). I have to give Ron Howard kudos for that.

The Bad:

Tom Hanks. This guy is NOT Robert Langdon. This was just really bad casting. I know that they needed a "box office star" to propel these movies and justify they're $150 million dollar plus budgets but he is just SO lame.

Vatican City CGI: I know there was no way that the Vatican City was going to allow shooting but the city shown above St. Peter's Sqaure is fuzzy, CGI gibberish. They tried hiding it in several shots but it was just so disappointing. You'd think with a budget of $150 million, they could have spent more time and money on the visual effects but apparently, it just went into Tom Hanks' wallet.

The Hassassin: His character was a center piece of the book but all he was in the film was an assassin. NO backstory. Nothing about the history of "Hassassin's", nothing about smoking hashish, nothing at all, nada. It left his character rather empty.

Overall, I'd say this is a DVD rental at best, premium movie channel at worst. After seeing it, I could have waited a year to watch it on HBO/Showtime/Star/Encore.

Hammock Parties
05-17-2009, 02:16 PM
So it's not worth it for DLP? The shitty CGI might look better on a small screen I suppose.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-17-2009, 02:38 PM
The climax of the film is done quite well and fortunately for those who have read the book, they left out the part of the Camerlengo being the Pope's actual son (that was ridiculous. We're supposed to believe that a Priest has a child with a nun and that same priest rises up to become the Pope, all done in secrecy? Nonsense). The climax and ending were done in such a way that it didn't come across as corny and goofy as it did in the book (at least to me). I have to give Ron Howard kudos for that.

The Bad:

Tom Hanks. This guy is NOT Robert Langdon. This was just really bad casting. I know that they needed a "box office star" to propel these movies and justify they're $150 million dollar plus budgets but he is just SO lame.

Don't discount it; the Vatican can hide plenty and get away with it.

Hanks doesn't work; he never did. You make one bad call at the top, everything else becomes easier to fuck up.

DaneMcCloud
05-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Don't discount it; the Vatican can hide plenty and get away with it.

I just find it to be too far fetched to be believable.

That part was like an episode of Dallas or Dynasty.

Goofy.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-17-2009, 03:25 PM
I just find it to be too far fetched to be believable.

That part was like an episode of Dallas or Dynasty.

Goofy.

You want goofy? Try plowing your way through "S Darko" as I am doing now.

It's work. WORK I tell you!:doh!:

Deberg_1990
05-17-2009, 03:57 PM
The Bad:

I thought that about the last one as well. Never read the books, but this Langdon character is just lame. Hes a hero that does nothing. That might be ok for a book, but for a movie its BORING.

Not sure if its Hanks fault or the way hes written, but its just plain bad.

J Diddy
05-18-2009, 01:11 AM
Alright, so I saw the film last night. It wasn't terrible and it wasn't great. I'd give it 2.5 stars out of 5.

The Good:

Much better actors this time around. Vittoria's character was portrayed by a much better actress than the heroine in DVC. The Italian actors were quite good and convincing. Ewan McGregor was perfect as usual, as was Stellan Skarsgard and Armin Mueller-Stahl. The "Hassassin" was portrayed ruthlessley but his backstory was sorely missed (more on that later).

The city of Rome was really the star of the film. Having been to the cafe right outside of the Pantheon, it was nice to see it and other Roman landmarks.

The Bad:

Vatican City CGI: I know there was no way that the Vatican City was going to allow shooting but the city shown above St. Peter's Sqaure is fuzzy, CGI gibberish. They tried hiding it in several shots but it was just so disappointing. You'd think with a budget of $150 million, they could have spent more time and money on the visual effects but apparently, it just went into Tom Hanks' wallet.

The Hassassin: His character was a center piece of the book but all he was in the film was an assassin. NO backstory. Nothing about the history of "Hassassin's", nothing about smoking hashish, nothing at all, nada. It left his character rather empty.

Overall, I'd say this is a DVD rental at best, premium movie channel at worst. After seeing it, I could have waited a year to watch it on HBO/Showtime/Star/Encore.

Wow, after your dismal review I'm glad I'm waiting to read the book. Seems like that's the heart of your issues.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-18-2009, 01:15 AM
Wow, after your dismal review I'm glad I'm waiting to read the book. Seems like that's the heart of your issues.

Authors rarely translate to screen because Hollywood and books just aren't a good match; too much detail gets sacrificed.

Hammock Parties
05-22-2009, 07:15 PM
I really dug it despite it's shortcomings. It looked great in DLP. The bad CGI was noticeable but not that bad. It had a lot of cool stuff. The twist took me by surprise. I went from almost tearing up over Ewan's character to feeling sorry for him.

Need to read the book now.

I think I liked DaVinci Code more to be honest, though.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-22-2009, 07:16 PM
I really dug it despite it's shortcomings. It looked great in DLP. The bad CGI was noticeable but not that bad. It had a lot of cool stuff. The twist took me by surprise. I went from almost tearing up over Ewan's character to feeling sorry for him.

Need to read the book now.

I think I liked DaVinci Code more to be honest, though.

A&D is the better book.

Hammock Parties
05-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Also, EXCELLENT soundtrack. REALLY dug the soundtrack. We (ME AND MY DATE MOTHERFUCKERS) also got a cool preview that had Christian Bale and Johnny Depp tommy gunning shit up in fedoras.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Also, EXCELLENT soundtrack. REALLY dug the soundtrack. We (ME AND MY DATE MOTHERFUCKERS) also got a cool preview that had Christian Bale and Johnny Depp tommy gunning shit up in fedoras.

Congrats on the date! I'll refrain from asking the usual stupidity that is no doubt headed your way as I type, but good show young man!
Don't fuck it up.

What was the name of the movie?

Hammock Parties
05-22-2009, 07:26 PM
Congrats on the date! I'll refrain from asking the usual stupidity that is no doubt headed your way as I type, but good show young man!
Don't fuck it up.

What was the name of the movie?

Public Enemies

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152836/

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Public Enemies

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152836/

Looks like a quality flick.

Deberg_1990
05-22-2009, 09:01 PM
(ME AND MY DATE MOTHER****ERS)

worthless without pics.

scooter
05-22-2009, 10:29 PM

All right, all right....don't go practicing your alliteration on me!

BucEyedPea
05-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Just got in from seeing Angels & Demons....and I LOVED it! I liked it more than the DaVinci Code too.
Faster paced. Have my full attention the whole time. Never read either book though.

JD10367
05-23-2009, 04:46 PM
I was one of these people who didnt read the book till after the movie was released and I was so much more impressed with the book. The movie didn't flow like the book did, and the first time it put me to sleep as well. I watched the movie two more times after that hoping that it was one of those it will grow on you once you've watched it a few times, but if I want to see a great movie involving religion I'll pop in my Dogma dvd.

What he said. "Dogma" friggin' rules.

Both books ("Da Vinci Code" and "Angels and Demons") were much better than the films. It's just hard to pack as much stuff into a film as you can in a book, and it seems a lot less believable as a film. I enjoyed "A&D" but, then again, I work for a theater so I didn't have to pay for it; if I paid to see it, I probably would've thought it was just okay.

The most interesting thing about Brown's books (and these films) is mainly the "what if". It would be nice to know how much of the speculation is true. And I, for one, would LOVE to get unlimited access to those Vatican archives. But, as films go, there's just not much you can do with them. As mentioned, they are in the same "chase and hunt" genre of the "National Treasure" films as well as pretty much any spy book/film (Ian Fleming, James Paterson, Robert Ludlum) and it's pretty hard to carry that off when your main character (Hanks) is kind of a pussy...

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-23-2009, 06:42 PM
What he said. "Dogma" friggin' rules.

Both books ("Da Vinci Code" and "Angels and Demons") were much better than the films. It's just hard to pack as much stuff into a film as you can in a book, and it seems a lot less believable as a film. I enjoyed "A&D" but, then again, I work for a theater so I didn't have to pay for it; if I paid to see it, I probably would've thought it was just okay.

The most interesting thing about Brown's books (and these films) is mainly the "what if". It would be nice to know how much of the speculation is true. And I, for one, would LOVE to get unlimited access to those Vatican archives. But, as films go, there's just not much you can do with them. As mentioned, they are in the same "chase and hunt" genre of the "National Treasure" films as well as pretty much any spy book/film (Ian Fleming, James Paterson, Robert Ludlum) and it's pretty hard to carry that off when your main character (Hanks) is kind of a pussy...

Ladies and gentlemen; the gist.:clap:

JD10367
05-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Ladies and gentlemen; the gist.:clap:

I mean, they tried to de-pussify Hanks in "A&D" by opening with a scene of him swimming ("Ooh, look how buff he is for his age!") and cutting his stylin' mullet from the first film. But it wasn't enough. Other guys who are in the "pussy role" pull it off 'cause they have a little more flair, e.g. Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" and "National Treasure", 'cause Cage is a little screwed in the head. And Luke Skywalker was a pussy, but he had a lightsaber; Hanks doesn't even have a gun in these films. It's just hard to get motivated when the main character in the film is blase. And there's no Han Solo or other character to stand up and display a set of balls and divert the audience's attention. Really, if they'd just let Hanks punch someone in the face in this film, it would've helped. Oh, he contributes to saving an old guy drowning in a fountain, but that's just not enough. They would've been better off giving him a drinking problem and some anger-management issues. :)

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-23-2009, 07:15 PM
I mean, they tried to de-pussify Hanks in "A&D" by opening with a scene of him swimming ("Ooh, look how buff he is for his age!") and cutting his stylin' mullet from the first film. But it wasn't enough. Other guys who are in the "pussy role" pull it off 'cause they have a little more flair, e.g. Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" and "National Treasure", 'cause Cage is a little screwed in the head. And Luke Skywalker was a pussy, but he had a lightsaber; Hanks doesn't even have a gun in these films. It's just hard to get motivated when the main character in the film is blase. And there's no Han Solo or other character to stand up and display a set of balls and divert the audience's attention. Really, if they'd just let Hanks punch someone in the face in this film, it would've helped. Oh, he contributes to saving an old guy drowning in a fountain, but that's just not enough. They would've been better off giving him a drinking problem and some anger-management issues. :)

I like the way this man thinks. Rep!

JD10367
05-23-2009, 08:16 PM
I like the way this man thinks. Rep!

Thanks. And I can't post a pic yet, but this made me think of this scene.

Chunk: Everything. OK! I'll talk! In third grade, I cheated on my history exam. In fourth grade, I stole my uncle Max's toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play. In fifth grade, I knocked my sister Edie down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog... When my mom sent me to the summer camp for fat kids and then they served lunch I got nuts and I pigged out and they kicked me out... But the worst thing I ever done - I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaaaaa - and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life.
Jake Fratelli: I'm beginning to like this kid, Ma!
Mama Fratelli: [tired of Chunk's stalling] Hit puree!

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks. And I can't post a pic yet, but this made me think of this scene.

Chunk: Everything. OK! I'll talk! In third grade, I cheated on my history exam. In fourth grade, I stole my uncle Max's toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play. In fifth grade, I knocked my sister Edie down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog... When my mom sent me to the summer camp for fat kids and then they served lunch I got nuts and I pigged out and they kicked me out... But the worst thing I ever done - I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaaaaa - and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life.
Jake Fratelli: I'm beginning to like this kid, Ma!
Mama Fratelli: [tired of Chunk's stalling] Hit puree!

LMAO Whatever happened to Martha Plimpton, and why am I even thinking about it?

JD10367
05-23-2009, 09:28 PM
LMAO Whatever happened to Martha Plimpton, and why am I even thinking about it?

Yeah, Andy was the cute cheerleadin' chick but Martha Plimpton looked like the one who would ride you hard and put you away wet.

According to the imdb she's actually been fairly busy, and doesn't look too bad... Not a bikini model, by any means, but I'd do her.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Yeah, Andy was the cute cheerleadin' chick but Martha Plimpton looked like the one who would ride you hard and put you away wet.

According to the imdb she's actually been fairly busy, and doesn't look too bad... Not a bikini model, by any means, but I'd do her.

LMAO I shall Google at once!

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Ahem...

Well, that's one of the many reasons booze exists!!!!

JD10367
05-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Ahem...

Well, that's one of the many reasons booze exists!!!!

Sorry. I probably should've added the caveat that I'd do a slow-moving walrus. :)

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Sorry. I probably should've added the caveat that I'd do a slow-moving walrus. :)

Ah, she's not too bad. One pitcher of IPA and I'd be good to go.:D

JD10367
05-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Ah, she's not too bad. One pitcher of IPA and I'd be good to go.:D

The body doesn't look too bad and, let's face it, she wasn't much of a looker as a teen so she's actually probably gotten better with age. :)

BWillie
05-25-2009, 01:13 AM

HAHA! I thought the exact same thing. The Da Vinci Code was horrible. One of the worst 30 movies I've ever seen, and it even had Tom Hanks in it.