PDA

View Full Version : Royals Royals new Ticket Pricing Model?

Deberg_1990
05-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Interesting.....

http://royalsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/325

But with the Royals off yesterday, it's as good a time as any to talk about a new ticket pricing model that's likely coming soon to Kauffman Stadium.

The jargon term for it is "dynamic pricing," and it's essentially how airlines, hotels and rental car companies operate.

The Royals are a a few years into a common practice around baseball that sets prices higher for certain games, in Kansas City's case the Cardinals, Yankees, games like that.

This new method -- the Giants are the first MLB team to try it -- would take into account advanced ticket sales data, weather, pitching matchups, star power of the opposing team, all sorts of different factors.

It will likely create a scenario where fans feel compelled to "price check" certain games weeks in advance -- the same way you might for a plane ticket -- and try to play the market, in a way, to buy low if the prices drop.

Put another way, it's going to change the way you shop for tickets.

It's hard to imagine fans will take to this right away. Change is always hard, and if the Royals are smart they'll ease into this with small price increases, or maybe use the dynamic pricing model for only certain sections.

There is money to be made, and in a game that relies so heavily on revenue generation, the Royals would be irresponsible to not look into this. They've always been very conscious of their market, going out of their way to maintain entry-level price points that are doable for anyone who can afford to go to a movie.

Can't imagine that will change. There will be times that this creates a cheaper ticket for you, for games that are selling slow. The trick will be to put in price hikes that are selective and small enough to not negatively impact attendance.

The people who come up with these models are a lot smarter than, say, your local blogging baseball writer, so I guess this is a benefit-of-the-doubt situation.

Anyway, as long as we're talking about the K(ougar)*, last Friday's rain storm cut what would've been the biggest and best crowd of the season almost in half.

* Couldn't resist. Self-discipline is not a strength.

Aramark, the company that handles concessions at the K, prepared nearly 70,000 hot dogs in anticipation for a standing-room only crowd. When sheets of rain convinced 18,000 or so to either stay at home or do something else, there were enough leftover weiners that the company put them out on the counters in the late innings as a sort of good-will-slash-buffet.

That led, of course, to hot dog fights in the concourses.

"That'll be the last time we do that," says George Lancie, Aramark general manager.

With George on the phone, I had to run by him the idea I briefly explored last year, one that would be a no-doubt, slam-dunk, couldn't-fail-even-if-you-tried success at the K:

Turn the right-field barbecue pit area into a Taste of Kansas City of sorts.

Now, before we go further, let's recognize that the barbecue they have out there now is fine. Aramark brought in some folks from Jack Stack to run the show, so they know what they're doing.

I've had the barbecue out there*, and it's fine. It's not terrific. It's not terrible. For ballpark barbecue, it's good.

* Although I'm still kicking myself for getting the fries instead of the cheesy corn. I'd like to think I know better than that.

But this is Kansas City. Good is not good enough for our barbecue, and at a ballpark, you get a lot of people in from out of town. This should be a showcase of sorts.

So why not invite all the big names to set up shop at the K? Get Gates', get Oklahoma Joe's*, Arthur Bryant's, Rosedale, Wyandotte, Jack Stack, whoever wants to come out and play, come out and play. As long as we all agree to not tell Famous Dave about our idea, I'm all for it.

* I'm comfortable enough in my own masculinity to admit that I love the Z-Man.

Maybe some of them wouldn't want the direct competition. Their loss. Get a few of the best joints in town on board, and all of a sudden you have a showcase of the city's best barbecue.

How would this not be a hit? You'd have a handful of the city's best restaurants cooking up their own form of deliciousness in close proximity, head-to-head competition hopefully bringing out the best.

I asked Lancie about this, probably putting him on the spot, but he was a good sport about it. He called the barbecue they have now "outstanding," and said these types of arrangements would have to be made with the Royals, not Aramark.

"There's always opportunity for branding in future years, sure," Lancie said. "I guess anything's possible. But it is driven around marketing ... It's not a position where it's my way or the highway. Aramark does embrace local brands."

As the philosopher Lloyd Christmas once said, so you're telling me there's a chance.

I read ya'.

Saulbadguy
05-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Half priced tickets in certain areas for tonight.

Buck
05-19-2009, 01:09 PM
They do this in San Diego.

They have "premium" home games.

Tickets are usually $1-$2 more expensive on those games.

WilliamTheIrish
05-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Apparently you haven't been to any sporting event in a really long time, DeBerg.

alpha_omega
05-19-2009, 01:28 PM
I thought they were already doing this....

...For example, when i was at the ticket window last weekend there were two pricing columns. One for regular games and one for "premium games". The crown seats for a "regular" game were priced at $240.00,the same seats for "premium" game was $250.00

Blindside58
05-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Family Value= Day Game ,Ponson on the mound against the Mariners, Indians or Orioles!

Kyle DeLexus
05-19-2009, 02:33 PM
They do this in San Diego.

They have "premium" home games.

Tickets are usually $1-$2 more expensive on those games.

We already have that, but it sounds like what they are going to do is have it where if the team is good the price goes up, if greinke is pitching the price goes up, if we are on a win streak the price goes up. And then if ponson is pitching prices go down, if our bats are what we think they are the price goes down, and if hillman guarentees Farnsworthless is pitching that night they pay you to go to the K.

Demonpenz
05-19-2009, 02:40 PM
i have not problems the team getting market value for tickets instead of scalpers

kstater
05-19-2009, 02:53 PM
We already have that, but it sounds like what they are going to do is have it where if the team is good the price goes up, if greinke is pitching the price goes up, if we are on a win streak the price goes up. And then if ponson is pitching prices go down, if our bats are what we think they are the price goes down, and if hillman guarentees Farnsworthless is pitching that night they pay you to go to the K.

It sounds to me like, as a game gets closer, if a ton of tickets are left, the price will drop. Or if tickets are selling fast, the price will go up. I'd take it as basically a simple supply and demand model.

Demonpenz
05-19-2009, 02:57 PM
they also said if there is racial fights planned that night (depending on amount of slurs and blood) we might see the price flex

58kcfan89
05-19-2009, 03:27 PM

Only game I've been to this year:

vs. the Mariners, Wednesday night, Ponson starts, Ramirez relieves him and Farnsworthless finishes the game. Royals win, 9-1.

Tickets were normal price.

Frazod
05-19-2009, 03:47 PM
I liked this so much better when they just called it price gouging.

The fucking Brewers do it when the Cardinals play in Milwaukee. I used to enjoy getting good seats at a reasonable price, watching a couple of games, spending the night in a local motel. Now, when I factor in the added expense, I just say fuck it and go watch the Cards play at Wrigley. So now maybe those seats go empty instead, as does the motel room I would have stayed in. Brilliant move, you money-grubbing pricks. 4321

Fish
05-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Yeah... something tells me this would benefit the Royals' profit margin much more than it would benefit Joe Blow taking his family to the K....

Deberg_1990
05-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Coming soon: The return of Alex Gordon to the KC Lineup! $5 surcharge