PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Star Trek 2 Might Bring Back Shatner

Tribal Warfare
05-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Star Trek 2 Might Bring Back Shatner (http://www.latinoreview.com/news/star-trek-2-might-bring-back-shatner-6861)

By Genevieve 'Scarletscribe' Blaber on May 16, 2009
With talk of a sequel to Star Trek going around, director J.J. Abrams has been discussing the possibility of bringing back some old favorites.

"The fun of this [new alternate Trek reality] is that the destiny of these characters is in their hands — it's not constrained by the pre-existing films or TV series," stated Abrams. "Believe me, whether it's William Shatner or Khan ... it would be ridiculous to not be open to those ideas."

Of course, the circumstances behind either's appearance may be very different from what we've seen before, but Abrams doesn't think that will hinder their characterizations or how they interact with one another. Khan might still hate Kirk, for example.

"[Khan and Kirk] exist — and while their history may not be exactly as people are familiar with, I would argue that a person's character is what it is," said Abrams, explaining that new-Khan could be as bad as old-Khan despite disimilar backstories. "Certain people are destined to cross paths and come together, and Khan is out there ... even if he doesn't have the same issues."

It's a theme that Abrams already touched upon in the first film, with the Enterprise's legendary crew assembling thanks to seemingly random occurrences, e.g. Sulu replacing a sick crew member and Kirk being stranded on Delta Vega only to find and bring back Scotty.

Now, the questions are: Do audiences want Shatner back? And is Khan irreplaceable in their hearts?

keg in kc
05-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Getting Khan would be a miracle.

Hammock Parties
05-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Please god, no, the last thing I want to see is Shatner's swollen red face in DLP.

AND LEAVE KHAN ALONE

05-20-2009, 07:19 PM
Just be original JJ. Damn, don't go trying to use old ideas giving them your own twist. Khan is Khan. Leave him alone.

Hammock Parties
05-20-2009, 07:21 PM
I think a Romulan invasion would be a good setting for a second movie. I'd like to see modern CGI's take on the old Romulan ships....

And maybe they could throw in the Klingons as brief allies. Sort of a nod to STVI.

Tribal Warfare
05-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Just be original JJ. Damn, don't go trying to use old ideas giving them your own twist. Khan is Khan. Leave him alone.

I believe one of the main concepts about Abram's interpretation is that nomatter what changes ones destiny will always be absolute.

Deberg_1990
05-20-2009, 08:10 PM

This.

JJ, create your own Khan. Stopping stealing from the past.

BigRedChief
05-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Agreed, leave Kahn alone.

05-20-2009, 09:57 PM
I believe one of the main concepts about Abram's interpretation is that nomatter what changes ones destiny will always be absolute.I completely agree with the concept. I just don't think he needs to make another movie about Kahn is all. Do things that haven't been done in the franchise and don't give old stories new twists. It's not necessary.

Tribal Warfare
05-20-2009, 10:06 PM
I completely agree with the concept. I just don't think he needs to make another movie about Kahn is all. Do things that haven't been done in the franchise and don't give old stories new twists. It's not necessary.

The Kahn thing will probably occur in the 3rd movie of the trilogy, and remember at the same time they have to honor some elements of the TV show. The crew and Khan definitely crossed paths during the original series so eventually this meeting will occur in this continuity too.

Hammock Parties
05-20-2009, 10:09 PM
The Kahn thing will probably occur in the 3rd movie of the trilogy, and remember at the same time they have to honor some elements of the TV show. The crew and Khan definitely crossed paths during the original series so eventually this meeting will occur in this continuity too.

Just because it occurred in the TV show doesn't mean it needs to be shown again.

HEY maybe we can have a movie where they find the Guardian of Forever and Spock goes FORWARD in time to warn FUTURE Spock about Nero so they can stop him from going back in time and blowing up Vulcan thereby re-rebooting the timeline and satisfying all the hardcore canon Trek jerkoffs.

YES!

And as an homage Kirk can fuck Edith Keeler during the credits.

Deberg_1990
05-20-2009, 10:09 PM
The crew and Khan definitely crossed paths during the original series so eventually this meeting will occur in this continuity too.

Whats always been funny to me is, Checkov didnt appear in Trek until season 2. The Khan episode aired in season 1.

Yet, Khan said he knew him and Chekov was there in this new movie.

heh, oh well, old Trek wasnt too big on continuity.

Tribal Warfare
05-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Just because it occurred in the TV show doesn't mean it needs to be shown again.

So should they leave out Kirk's severe distaste towards Klingons? It's a part of the character's development, and having an adversary that the audience that can universally identify as a bad motherfucker aids the accented drama of their relationship too.

Hammock Parties
05-20-2009, 10:23 PM
So should they leave out Kirk's severe distaste towards Klingons?\

No. It's not a freaking plot. It's just part of the character.

But don't have the Klingons kill Kirk's son in the next movie. Laaaaaaaaame. Rehash. Do something new.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
05-20-2009, 10:32 PM
Whats always been funny to me is, Checkov didnt appear in Trek until season 2. The Khan episode aired in season 1.

Actually, that was addressed in one of the ST novels. Chekov was on the Enterprise . . . just wasn't alpha-shift bridge crew at the time.

Tribal Warfare
\

No. It's not a freaking plot. It's just part of the character.

But don't have the Klingons kill Kirk's son in the next movie. Laaaaaaaaame. Rehash. Do something new.

Going to Next Generation First Contact, Picard's interaction with the Borg was a part of his character too, and the Khan interaction is equally as pivotal figure for Kirk's character growth too. See, having a strong relationship with the TV show is what orchestrates these great villains in the Star Trek franchise due to their familiarity and connection to the original series.

HEY maybe we can have a movie where they find the Guardian of Forever and Spock goes FORWARD in time to warn FUTURE Spock about Nero so they can stop him from going back in time and blowing up Vulcan thereby re-rebooting the timeline and satisfying all the hardcore canon Trek jerkoffs.

YES!

And as an homage Kirk can **** Edith Keeler during the credits.ROFL:clap:

Hammock Parties
05-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Going to Next Generation First Contact, Picard's interaction with the Borg was a part of his character too, and the Khan interaction is equally as pivotal figure for Kirk's character growth too. See, having a strong relationship with the TV show is what orchestrates these great villains in the Star Trek franchise due to their familiarity and connection to the original series.

No, it's not. Khan is an isolated incident. One TV show, one movie. It doesn't compare to Kirk's life-spanning hatred for Klingons. No way, no how.

There is no fucking way they need to be messing with Khan. Maybe in passing reference but a whole movie about it would be completely unoriginal and stupid.

Tribal Warfare
05-20-2009, 10:45 PM
There is no fucking way they need to be messing with Khan. Maybe in passing reference but a whole movie about it would be completely unoriginal and stupid.

Which is where creative license takes place, because instead of finding Khan on Botany Khan could be an illegally produced super clone primarily due to his parents are unable to have a child. Khan of course is a prodigy excels everything Kirk did and did it in a more expedient fashion and at a younger age when both were at the academy. They could add to the story that their was a great rivalry in the academy between them too which would dictate the character's evolution like I previously mentioned.

Hammock Parties
05-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Thats...terrible. Khan was in freaking stasis, hello? He wasn't even born in Kirk's time.

05-20-2009, 10:53 PM
Which is where creative license takes place, because instead of finding Khan on Botany Khan could be an illegally produced super clone primarily due to his parents are unable to have a child. Khan of course is a prodigy excels everything Kirk did and did it in a more expedient fashion and at a younger age when both were at the academy. They could add to the story that their was a great rivalry in the academy between them too which would dictate the character's evolution like I previously mentioned.Respectufully disagree. Abrams still needs to stay faithful to the original plotlines to some extent. If all he wants to do is piss of the fans though, then sure, go for it.

I'll have nothing to do with that bastardization though.

If he wants to lose the fanbase then sure, change Khan. See where it takes him.

Tribal Warfare
05-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Thats...terrible. Khan was in freaking stasis, hello? He wasn't even born in Kirk's time.

Why's that it takes creative license just like Batman Begins breathes life into the character which separates it from the original film though the ties are still there.

Hammock Parties
05-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Why's that it takes creative license just like Batman Begins breathes life into the character which separates it from the original film though the ties are still there.

No! No! No!

It's terrible. There's no reason to suddenly have a genetic freak from the 21st century go to starfleet academy 100 years later. It's freaking fanfiction bullshit.

Sorry, but this is a terrible idea. :shake:

Besides there are a 100 different story ideas they can mine besides cannibalizing the old crap. This is just ridiculous. Why do you have a hard on for Khan?

Tribal Warfare
05-20-2009, 10:59 PM
No! No! No!

It's terrible. There's no reason to suddenly have a genetic freak from the 21st century go to starfleet academy 100 years later. It's freaking fanfiction bullshit.

Sorry, but this is a terrible idea. :shake:

21st century the original Khan reigned in 1996, Like I said change the character slightly like Batman Begins did with Raz Al Ghul and everything is gravy.

Hammock Parties
05-20-2009, 11:02 PM
But....why?

What's the point?

Is Khan just that supercool?

Tribal Warfare
05-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Is Khan just that supercool?

Apparently so if Abbrams' is inferring the character could be included, I'm just telling you how it could work out and his possible viewpoint and methodology of his depiction of the character.

Hammock Parties
05-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Well, I think it sucks.

05-20-2009, 11:09 PM
21st century the original Khan reigned in 1996, Like I said change the character slightly like Batman Begins did with Raz Al Ghul and everything is gravy.You raise a good point with Batman Begins. Unfortunately I know nothing of the Raz Al Ghul character in Batman canon. I had never even heard of him until that film.

The same could be true for non Star Trek followers with your idea. The only difference here would be the core fans. I wouldn't think JJ would want to piss off that group.

unlurking
05-21-2009, 05:22 AM
The Klingons need to invade Romulan space for revenge against the destruction of their prison planet (according to the interview posted here somewhere). Then, the typical goody-goody Star Fleet can get involved trying to make peace, which could swing the Klingon blood rage toward Earth. Would love to see a movie or two about the war with the Klingons.

05-21-2009, 05:26 AM
The Klingons need to invade Romulan space for revenge against the destruction of their prison planet (according to the interview posted here somewhere). Then, the typical goody-goody Star Fleet can get involved trying to make peace, which could swing the Klingon blood rage toward Earth. Would love to see a movie or two about the war with the Klingons.Now that is an idea I like.

BigRedChief
05-21-2009, 07:20 AM
The Klingons need to invade Romulan space for revenge against the destruction of their prison planet (according to the interview posted here somewhere). Then, the typical goody-goody Star Fleet can get involved trying to make peace, which could swing the Klingon blood rage toward Earth. Would love to see a movie or two about the war with the Klingons.
And that would dove tail into why Kirk hates the Klingons, kills his fiance etc so he never allows a female to get too close anymore in his life due to that pain of a loss.

A good Klingon-Starfleet battle would be cool to see on the big screen.

mikey23545
05-21-2009, 08:50 AM

The explanation I've often seen for this is that Chekov was already aboard the Enterprise when Khan was found, he just hadn't been promoted to his season 2 position yet. Khan bumped into him in the bathroom or something, I guess....

whoman69
05-21-2009, 09:08 AM
This new Star Trek universe is shaping up much differently from the old. The Vulcans were the moral conscience and intellectual force behind the Federation. An episode like Journey to Babel would be very different. A race like the Andorians might take a bigger, more militaristic role bereft of the Vulcan influence. They could very well butt heads with the Klingons or Romulans.

I would liken this Federation to the hardluck US in the Harry Turtledove great war and American Empire series.

Hammock Parties
05-21-2009, 09:30 AM

This idea pretty much blows ANYTHING to do with Khan out of the water.

I would love to see Abrams' take on the Klingons.

Tribal Warfare
11-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Benicio wanted for 'Star Trek' villain (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118045646?refCatId=13)
J.J. Abrams wants actor for Paramount sequel
By Justin Kroll
Though most roles are cast in Paramount and Skydance's "Star Trek" sequel, the mysterious villain part was still available -- and now J.J. Abrams has made his choice.

Sources close to the project tell Variety that Benicio Del Toro is expected to be offered the part, possibly before the weekend is out. Insiders say Del Toro has met with Abrams but, in an effort to keep the role a secret, still doesn't know exactly what it is.

Par and Skydance had no comment on the casting process.

Abrams is back to direct with Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof penning the script. Abrams, Kurtzman, Orci, Lindelof, Bryan Burk, and David Ellison will produce through Bad Robot and Skydance Productions.

Production is expected to start in early 2012.

Del Toro most recently finished production on Universal's "Savages."

11-12-2011, 09:56 PM
now I can see Del Toro in the Kahn role.

Bowser
11-13-2011, 01:36 PM
now I can see Del Toro in the Kahn role.

Or as a Klingon.....