PDA

View Full Version : Music B52's Concert at Uptown

gblowfish
05-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Last night wifey and I went to the B52's concert at the Uptown Theater in KC. Observations:

1) Age of crowd was very interesting. 50-plus to 16 year old kids.
2) "Rock Lobster" is one of the greatest Rock n Roll Songs EVAH.
3) Didn't know this: Current B-52s lead guitarist Keith Strickland was the original drummer for the band. He replaced Ricky Wilson, original B-52s guitarist who died of AIDS in the late 1980s.
4) Cindy Wilson's voice is shot. She can't sing high harmony any more. They need to replace her vocals. Painful on some songs.
5) Fred' Schneider's vocal style is called by the Germans "Sprechgesang, " Which means: (spoken-voice) musical terms used to refer to an expressionist vocal technique between singing and speaking. Though sometimes used interchangeably, sprechgesang is a term more directly related to the operatic recitative manner of singing (in which pitches are sung, but the articulation is rapid and loose like speech), whereas sprechstimme is closer to speech itself. Fred seemed to have a cold last night, but caught his second wind in mid show and was in good form. He's fun to watch.
6) The B-52s rhythm section is a real power plant. Their current drummer is athletic and just flat out great.
7) Lots of guys on "boy dates" and girls on "girl dates" in the crowd. Saw two drop dead gorgeous chicks in stiletto heels and very tight dresses making out. Hope my wife didn't see me staring. They were smokin hot. Rolled my tongue back up into my head...
8) I got a B-52s coffee cup! Cool. They had lunchboxes too, but they were $35.
9) Tickets for concerts have gotten out of control price wise. We paid $80 ea for two seats for a 90 minute show, show ticket said 7:30pm, band didn't play first song until 8:45pm. Not much value for the $.
10) Did I mention the hot lesbians making out???

Finally, Fred Gets a Day Job:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WQBOuovAqDk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WQBOuovAqDk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Demonpenz
05-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Who opened for them? Sevendust?

gblowfish
05-21-2009, 11:39 AM
No opening act. Just a club DJ with a couple turntables spinning old Rosemary Clooney and Louis Prima tunes. He was up there for over an hour, crowd got restless...

Deberg_1990
05-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Lesbians at a B-52 concert?? NO way!

gblowfish
05-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Lesbians at a B-52 concert?? NO way! LOTS OF EM.....EVERYWHERE!!!