PDA

View Full Version : Life Will you lose it when your daughter gets married?

ZepSinger
05-22-2009, 02:39 PM
I don't know if this is normal or not. The thought of any of my daughters (7, 10, and 11 yrs old currently) getting married and leaving home just about makes me come apart. The second I start to picture that day, I instantly feel the ol' lump in the throat. There's a couple of songs out there right now (one is called 'Cinderella') about this very subject, and I have to turn them off whenever they pop up on the radio. If I pay attention to the words, I instantly feel the waterworks building up.

And here's my biggest fear- breaking down like a frickin' girly man during the father/daughter dance at their eventual weddings. Not to mention walking them up the aisle and giving them away. Criminy, I won't be able to croak out the words "her mother and I"- my wife will probably have to do it. I am dreading this embarrassing scenario.

I don't suppose that anyone who doesn't have a daughter will understand. That father/daughter bond- wow, that's a special one. So here's my question- are there any other fathers of daughters in CP land that feel this way? Maybe it's just because they're still young. Who knows, maybe by the time they turn 21 I'll throw a party when they leave.. :)

Z

DaFace
05-22-2009, 02:41 PM
Eh, my FIL cried during the father/daughter dance at our wedding. I don't think anyone can blame a dad for being emotional at an event like that.

Hydrae
05-22-2009, 02:41 PM
My daughter got married 2 years ago in a ceremony in my front room. It was a bittersweet day for sure. But it is what she wanted and he is a good man so I had to let her go.

It is cool though, she comes over with my granddaughter and spends the day with us a couple days a week. She makes sure one of those days is a day I am off work (I work Wed-Sat) so I can have time with the cutest little girl in the world.

seclark
05-22-2009, 02:42 PM
in.
mine's 24 and i try not to even think about it, much less talk about it.
sec

The Franchise
05-22-2009, 02:44 PM
in.
sec

Worthless.
With.
Out.
Pictures.

:D

keg in kc
05-22-2009, 02:45 PM
I'd probably have a heart attack.

Since as far as I know I don't have a daughter. So a daughter of mine getting married would be quite a shock.

seclark
05-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Worthless.
With.
Out.
Pictures.

go.
f@ck.
yourself.

;)
sec

The Franchise
05-22-2009, 02:46 PM
go.
f@ck.
yourself.

;)
sec

ROFLROFL

Come on....you don't want a son-in-law from the Planet?

keg in kc
05-22-2009, 02:50 PM
go.
f@ck.
yourself.

;)
secThat's.
Why.
He.
Wants.
Pics.

So I guess your comment means you approve.

seclark
05-22-2009, 02:50 PM
ROFLROFL

Come on....you don't want a son-in-law from the Planet?

i really don't want a son-in-law period, although i have no choice. if she'd marry some sick f@ck from this place, i'd have to start an "i'm leaving forever" thread.
sec

seclark
05-22-2009, 02:51 PM
That's.
Why.
He.
Wants.
Pics.

So I guess your comment means you approve.

i'm leaving this thread, now.
sec

keg in kc
05-22-2009, 02:52 PM
:fire:

Demonpenz
05-22-2009, 02:53 PM
well it is good you care that much. Too bad not all parents don't give a shit

CrazyPhuD
05-22-2009, 02:54 PM
i really don't want a son-in-law period, although i have no choice. if she'd marry some sick f@ck from this place, i'd have to start an "i'm leaving forever" thread.
sec

Come on the in thing today isn't the son in law it's the daughter in law.:D

raybec 4
05-22-2009, 02:54 PM
I cried like a little girl the days they were born and have no doubts I will again when they get married. Probably again when they have children of their own.

Donger
05-22-2009, 02:56 PM
No. My daughter is a menace. I'll be glad to get rid of her. I might even throw in a dowry.

keg in kc
05-22-2009, 02:57 PM
No. My daughter is a menace. I'll be glad to get rid of her. I might even throw in a dowry.How much?

Donger
05-22-2009, 02:59 PM
How much?

I'll probably throw in a couple of chickens. Maybe a monkey or three.

Lumpy
05-22-2009, 02:59 PM
My dad cried at my wedding. It happens. But I knew at that moment that I was still his little girl, even though I was becoming a woman.

burt
05-22-2009, 03:00 PM
I don't know if this is normal or not. The thought of any of my daughters (7, 10, and 11 yrs old currently) getting married and leaving home just about makes me come apart. The second I start to picture that day, I instantly feel the ol' lump in the throat. There's a couple of songs out there right now (one is called 'Cinderella') about this very subject, and I have to turn them off whenever they pop up on the radio. If I pay attention to the words, I instantly feel the waterworks building up.

And here's my biggest fear- breaking down like a frickin' girly man during the father/daughter dance at their eventual weddings. Not to mention walking them up the aisle and giving them away. Criminy, I won't be able to croak out the words "her mother and I"- my wife will probably have to do it. I am dreading this embarrassing scenario.

I don't suppose that anyone who doesn't have a daughter will understand. That father/daughter bond- wow, that's a special one. So here's my question- are there any other fathers of daughters in CP land that feel this way? Maybe it's just because they're still young. Who knows, maybe by the time they turn 21 I'll throw a party when they leave.. :)

Z

This doesn't matter, I will be pushing up Daiseys when my daughter gets married!

raybec 4
05-22-2009, 03:01 PM

Not an attack chimp I hope, you don't want your future son-in-law to have his hands and face ripped off, do you?

Donger
05-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Not an attack chimp I hope, you don't want your future son-in-law to have his hands and face ripped off, do you?

A chimpanzee is not a monkey.

The Franchise
05-22-2009, 03:16 PM
i'm leaving this thread, now.
sec

Don't leave now Dad!

shitgoose
05-22-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm pretty sure I'll be happy for her provided she isn't marrying some dick bag that I want to set on fire. If thats the case she can pay for her own damn wedding.

keg in kc
05-22-2009, 03:19 PM
I'll probably throw in a couple of chickens. Maybe a monkey or three.I might have jumped at an elephant, but chickens won't do it, not in my punjabi wedding.

Hootie
05-22-2009, 03:21 PM
in.
sec

I'm 24 and single...

:)

raybec 4
I'm pretty sure I'll be happy for her provided she isn't marrying some dick bag that I want to set on fire. If thats the case she can pay for her own damn wedding.

When it comes to my little girls, they're all dickbags that i want to set on fire.

keg in kc
I'm 24 and single...

:)Ladies and gentlemen, we have a Love Connection.

The Franchise
05-22-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm 24 and single...

:)

See seclark....it could be worse. You could have Hootie as a SIL.

raybec 4
05-22-2009, 03:24 PM
A chimpanzee is not a monkey.

I apologize for my species faux pas.

Hootie
05-22-2009, 03:27 PM
See seclark....it could be worse. You could have Hootie as a SIL.

a decent golfer with a sweet jump shot? He could do worse...

Plus...

I'm a 50 in Halo.

CrazyPhuD
05-22-2009, 03:38 PM

Is it a trunk monkey? If so that would be pretty badass!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RCUBxgdKZ_Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RCUBxgdKZ_Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

patteeu
05-22-2009, 03:53 PM
I know what you mean Zep. I'm guessing that the "Cinderella" you're talking about is Steven Curtis Chapman's song by that name. Another song with lyrics about exactly the same subject (from the pov of the guy stealing your cinderella) is the country song "Stealing Cinderella" by Chuck Wicks. I admit that I got a little choked up when I paid attention to the lyrics the first time.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VsuEJOypSAA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VsuEJOypSAA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mosbonian
05-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Patteau/Zep:

My daughter's only 13 and I dread the day she decides to get married, much less the day she comes home from school with her first real boyfriend...

If you want a couple of videos/songs that will make you even more misty about her getting married here's a couple....

First this one by Michael W. Smith, "How to Say Good-Bye"..(can't seem to imbed it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk5K-eTTkfM

This one is by Heartland...."I Loved Her First"...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MXhJ3oCg3K8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MXhJ3oCg3K8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mmaddog

Jethopper
05-22-2009, 04:48 PM
I didn't cry when she was born, I won't cry when she gets married.

teedubya
05-22-2009, 04:50 PM
my daughter is three... and I am pretty sure that I will cry regardless... but instead of dwelling on how shitty it is going to be umpteen years from now... how about you enjoy the time that you have with them now, and cherish the moments... instead of dreading far off moments?

seems pointless... and also seems like they aren't the only ones with extra estrogen in their body.

Mosbonian
05-22-2009, 05:00 PM
my daughter is three... and I am pretty sure that I will cry regardless... but instead of dwelling on how shitty it is going to be umpteen years from now... how about you enjoy the time that you have with them now, and cherish the moments... instead of dreading far off moments?

seems pointless... and also seems like they aren't the only ones with extra estrogen in their body.

Ari:

I don't spend time dwelling on the "what's to come"..but it's hard not to sometimes sit back and marvel/ponder about how they have grown and how precious time is...and what will happen when you finally have to let them go...

At my age time seems to have kicked in the 4-barrel and the road passes by quicker.

mmaddog

teedubya
05-22-2009, 05:02 PM
I hear you mmaddog... but Im pretty sure that you are married to some guys daughter.

It's the circle of life... all we can do is aid them in growing up to make wise decisions for themselves. I concern myself with doing what I can, so that when it comes time to chose her man for life, that she has me as a solid example from which to gauge her suitors.

Sorry that you are getting old and shit. It seems to happen to all of us.

;-P

Otter
05-22-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure God made me to have daughters. I'd be in jail pretty fast if something happened.

Skip Towne
05-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Mine turns 21 next month. My time's coming.

The Franchise
05-22-2009, 05:21 PM

Worthless.
With.
Out.
Pictures.

Donger
05-22-2009, 05:39 PM

Did you breed "later" in life?

Skip Towne
05-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Did you breed "later" in life?

No, I started at 16. I just didn't bingo until 43.

stevieray
05-22-2009, 05:55 PM
it's a child on her wedding day...
it's the daddy that gives her away...
...something beautiful.

SAUTO
05-22-2009, 05:58 PM
YES, i will probably cry like a little girl. thank god she's only 4, i've got a long time

Braincase
05-22-2009, 07:01 PM
My wife will ambush me - and have the father/bride song with be "Butterfly Kisses", and I'll lose it for sure.

Iowanian
05-22-2009, 07:13 PM
I refuse to think about it.

RJ
05-22-2009, 09:24 PM
My daughter just turned 6. Kindergarten graduation kicked my ass. So yeah, if I live to see her get married it will likely be difficult.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-22-2009, 09:26 PM
No offense gents, but this thread needs tags.

Fat Elvis
05-22-2009, 09:57 PM

Z

If you think you are going to cry at her wedding, just wait until you get the bill for it....

StcChief
05-22-2009, 09:58 PM
who is this daughter I have no knowledge of.

Fat Elvis
05-22-2009, 10:00 PM
As far as I'm concerned there isn't a male on the planet who is good enough for my little girls. Crying? I dunno. Probably fuming as I wonder why she would throw her life away and settle for that stupid shithead standing at the alter with a nervous smile on his face.

Fat Elvis
05-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Pastor: Who gives this woman to this man?

Me: Well, it sure as hell isn't my idea....

Discuss Thrower
05-22-2009, 10:52 PM
I thought all you papas out there would lose it because you looked at the pricetag for your little girls' wedding.

BAH fuck fatelvis beat me to it. Knew I should've posted this instead of munching on some fucking oreos. Damnit.