PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A with Haley 4/22 (Week 1 OTA wrap)

Coogs
05-22-2009, 04:15 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/05/22/qa_with_todd_haley_522/

Q&A with TODD HALEY - 5/22
May 22, 2009, 1:42:03 PM

TODD HALEY: “We finished our first week of OTAs, we got four of them in so we are making progress in a lot of areas. There is still a lot of work to do, but there were some encouraging signs. Next week we will just go back to regular lifting and running for three days and pick the OTAs up the following week leading into the mandatory mini-camp.”

Q: Do you spread out the practices so they can pick up more?

HALEY: “I’d like to say that. This is a little different schedule this off-season with the schedule being moved back. It was just more of an effort to get it spaced out accordingly. If we just ran OTAs all the way through, we would be done pretty quickly.”

Q: What do you see that is encouraging?

HALEY: “I think that the tempo of our practice picked up considerably. Even today, it was fairly hot, but I thought the tempo of practice was good. We ran each day after the OTA, a pretty hard run that got better and better as the week went on. Again I think it is about letting them know what we expect and them understanding it. There is more scheme put in on each side and guys seem to have figured it out a little better as the week went on.”

Q: How is the passing game?

HALEY: “It is going to take some time, there is no doubt. That is what’s good about this time of year and the fact that we have these OTAs. They are getting to know each other and the receivers, tight ends, backs or whoever is running the route is understanding the coverage. The defense is putting stuff in too, so they are throwing a bunch of different looks at them which makes it difficult. It’s not like running routes on air. When they run routes on air they look pretty good but if you throw the defense in there then it changes things quite a bit. I am trying to have patience with it, understanding that it is early. It is really the first football work we have done and the passing game is an intricate deal. It takes time.”

Q: Are you improving as the week goes?

HALEY: “Yeah, I think you get into that rhythm and mode. Again, we let them know what we expect and as time goes on, you improve. If it looked worse than on Monday that I would be concerned but that is part of the encouraging bit to me.”

Q: Do you have the team you were hoping for?

HALEY: “I’m still figuring these guys out but I think as I get comfortable and get a feel for these guys, there are some signs of life. To me, if they are doing everything right, right now, if everything looked perfect, I’d be worried. It looks like some guys have some skill, it is just a matter of getting them to do it the right way all the time and then getting in sync with the passer. We have some work to do and I think there is a lot of room for improvement. It lets me know there is a chance to get better.”

Q: What point in the season do you get worried if things are not flowing?

HALEY: “I think that is an obvious question. If there are a lot of Ls (losses). I don’t really care what it looks like or what the statistics are even though I came from an offensive background that was pretty prolific at times in Arizona. It’s was what we felt gave us the best chance to win. If it doesn’t look pretty, it is not going to matter to me if it’s a W (win). We are going to do what we have to, to give us the best chance to win. If that is three yards and a cloud of dust, we don’t turn the football over and we play great defense, I’ll be the happiest guy sitting here after games.”

Q: How does Larry Johnson fit in?

HALEY: “I think Larry is working hard. He has made some runs in the last few practices that I thought were pretty special and showed signs of somebody who can run the football. I was very encouraged and a couple of those flashed at me and the coaches to where you say, ‘that was pretty good.’ If Larry continues to work, stay on point and do the things asked of him, I think he will definitely have a chance to help us.”

Q: Because this is your first head coaching opportunity, is there a learning curve for you?

HALEY: “Yeah, without a doubt. I don’t have all the answers. This is my first go round. I am very aware of that and that is why I am happy with the staff. I have a handful of guys that have done this before (being a head coach) at some level. I lean on a bunch of people all the time, in the building and out of the building to try and make sure I get it right, knowing that it is not going to be perfect, but trying to learn from our mistakes and get it right one way or another. Make it work is the bottom line. That is my job, to make it work on offense, defense and special teams one way or another.”

Q: Do you feel like you are making good use of your practice times?

HALEY: “Yeah. I think they are starting to figure out what we want. When you are practicing fast like that when it is pretty hot, that is a good sign. I thought we were efficient; we are on the field then off the field. We are not out there for two hours, we are out there an hour. Today we had a little fun after practice. We caught some punts to try and save themselves a gasser or two. They were into it but the defense wasn’t very good I have to say.”

Q: Do you see the type of skill-set in TE Brad Cottam that you need at the tight end position?

HALEY: “I think he has most of the tools. For him it is going to be about putting in the work and understanding both aspect whether it is run or pass protection and what is required and then using the technique required. I think the tools are there for Brad to be a solid tight end in the league. It’s just a matter of us getting it out of him and him getting it out of himself.”

Q: Is LB Mike Vrabel committed to being a part of what you’re doing?

HALEY: “I would say that Mike is excited to get here and I’m excited to see him in action and see where he is at. We have been giving him the information and he has been working, calling and checking in. We will see when he gets here where we stand just like any of the guys who haven’t been here.

Q: Do you expect him to be here for the mandatory mini-camp?

HALEY: “Yes.”

wasi
05-22-2009, 04:22 PM
[
Q: What point in the season do you get worried if things are not flowing?

HALEY: “I think that is an obvious question. If there are a lot of Ls (losses). I don’t really care what it looks like or what the statistics are even though I came from an offensive background that was pretty prolific at times in Arizona. It’s was what we felt gave us the best chance to win. If it doesn’t look pretty, it is not going to matter to me if it’s a W (win). We are going to do what we have to, to give us the best chance to win. If that is three yards and a cloud of dust, we don’t turn the football over and we play great defense, I’ll be the happiest guy sitting here after games.”

That quote right there is a good indication of why I think Haley is going to be a good football coach. The same type coach speak was coming out of Herm's mouth also but, for whatever reason he was never believable about it. Probably because he never had any success to back up his talk.

DaFace
05-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Q: Because this is your first head coaching opportunity, is there a learning curve for you?

HALEY: “Yeah, without a doubt. I don’t have all the answers. This is my first go round. I am very aware of that and that is why I am happy with the staff. I have a handful of guys that have done this before (being a head coach) at some level. I lean on a bunch of people all the time, in the building and out of the building to try and make sure I get it right, knowing that it is not going to be perfect, but trying to learn from our mistakes and get it right one way or another. Make it work is the bottom line. That is my job, to make it work on offense, defense and special teams one way or another.”

This is perhaps my favorite quote of the article. I like that he has such a realistic outlook and that he is trying to improve himself day after day. It seemed like Herm was always a my way or the highway type of guy, so it's good to see someone who is willing to learn from the knowledge of those around him to put together the best team.

I know he's inexperienced, and he'll probably make mistakes, but my hope is that he, like the team, will get better over the next few years rather than put us into another holding pattern.

MoreLemonPledge
05-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Q: How does Larry Johnson fit in?

HALEY: “I think Larry is working hard. He has made some runs in the last few practices that I thought were pretty special and showed signs of somebody who can run the football. I was very encouraged and a couple of those flashed at me and the coaches to where you say, ‘that was pretty good.’ If Larry continues to work, stay on point and do the things asked of him, I think he will definitely have a chance to help us.”

IB4ClaythanSaysIToldYouSo

Seriously, though, I hope he really does have his shit together.

orange
05-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Q: Do you see the type of skill-set in TE Brad Cottam that you need at the tight end position?

HALEY: “I think he has most of the tools. For him it is going to be about putting in the work and understanding both aspect whether it is run or pass protection and what is required and then using the technique required. I think the tools are there for Brad to be a solid tight end in the league. It’s just a matter of us getting it out of him and him getting it out of himself.”

Funny. Either he missed the obvious question or he deliberately avoided answering it - no mention at all of pass receiving.

A new day is dawning in KC for sure.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-22-2009, 04:47 PM
This is perhaps my favorite quote of the article. I like that he has such a realistic outlook and that he is trying to improve himself day after day. It seemed like Herm was always a my way or the highway type of guy, so it's good to see someone who is willing to learn from the knowledge of those around him to put together the best team.

I know he's inexperienced, and he'll probably make mistakes, but my hope is that he, like the team, will get better over the next few years rather than put us into another holding pattern.

He's operating in a different head space than what we're used to, which is a good thing.
The thing I like the most about that quote, aside from the look he gave the reporter when he said "I think that's an obvious question", is that this guy is not going to accept ANYTHING other than the best and continued improvement from his players. We hear that kind of jargon all the time in sports but I believe that with Haley, he means it.

I think we'll see a tougher team, less injuries, and crisper execution all across the board. I can't wait to watch this guy coach his first Raiders game. It will be epic.

ModSocks
05-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Why doesn't anyone ever ask about Bowe or Bradley? Who gives a fuck about Cottam. I wanna know how those boys are adjusting to Cassel/new scheme. Gotdamnit.

Fish
05-22-2009, 05:15 PM
"We are going to do what we have to, to give us the best chance to win. If that is three yards and a cloud of dust, we don’t turn the football over and we play great defense, I’ll be the happiest guy sitting here after games.”

Possessed by the Herm Demon....?

Hydrae
05-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Do you feel like you are making good use of your practice times?

Who asks these questions? What do you expect him to say, "No, we just go out and fuck around. Hopefully the team will be better this fall but who knows."?

RiversRunRed
05-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Q: Do you have the team you were hoping for?

HALEY: “I’m still figuring these guys out but I think as I get comfortable and get a feel for these guys, there are some signs of life. To me, if they are doing everything right, right now, if everything looked perfect, I’d be worried. It looks like some guys have some skill, it is just a matter of getting them to do it the right way all the time and then getting in sync with the passer. We have some work to do and I think there is a lot of room for improvement. It lets me know there is a chance to get better.”

......So in other words he have to deprogram them from the fail that herm infused this team with for the past three years

DaWolf
05-22-2009, 07:14 PM

I just hope he was able to surround himself with competent assistants, or is able to over the next few years as he had to toss this staff together at the last minute. Gunther and Herm had no idea what a good assistant looked like, and always thought they had all the answers. Vermeil knew offense but had no clue about putting together a defensive staff. I hope for Haley's sake that he has the ability to surround himself with good football coaches...

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-22-2009, 07:14 PM
Who asks these questions? What do you expect him to say, "No, we just go out and fuck around. Hopefully the team will be better this fall but who knows."?

ROFL

They're horrible. God...awful...horrible. I would give anything to hear Pioli and Haley talk to each other after a KC sports media presser.
Or even before!

"Did you take your codeine and wash it down with a shot of whiskey"?

"Yeah"

"It'll be over in 15 minutes"

"But it's the longest 15 minutes on Earth"

"I know, I know, but we must soldier on".

"Meh".

the Talking Can
05-22-2009, 07:32 PM
I just hope he was able to surround himself with competent assistants, or is able to over the next few years as he had to toss this staff together at the last minute. Gunther and Herm had no idea what a good assistant looked like, and always thought they had all the answers. Vermeil knew offense but had no clue about putting together a defensive staff. I hope for Haley's sake that he has the ability to surround himself with good football coaches...

could be wishful thinking, but i think this year is an evaluation for players AND the coaches....

Haley isn't wedded to either his OC or DC...he kept Gailey for continuity, and because as an OC himself (Haley) he can instruct Gailey in exactly what he wants...and we already know they tried to get Crennel

i'm assuming that they will try to get Crennel again next year regardless of what happens this year...and Gailey has no allies in the franchise now that tony is gone and thigpen is demoted...i think Clark may have lobbied for gailey as well, so he can't complain either as gailey got a year reward for being a good soldier under herm..

i am hopeful that this regime will not tolerate failure - from anyone - for years on end the way Carl did....even if that means Haley himself gets the hook in 3 years....

HemiEd
05-22-2009, 08:47 PM
HALEY: “I’m still figuring these guys out but I think as I get comfortable and get a feel for these guys, there are some signs of life.

To me, if they are doing everything right, right now, if everything looked perfect, I’d be worried. It looks like some guys have some skill, it is just a matter of getting them to do it the right way all the time and then getting in sync with the passer. We have some work to do and I think there is a lot of room for improvement. It lets me know there is a chance to get better.”

I loved this part, best interview with him that I recall. Better coaching!

boogblaster
05-22-2009, 09:09 PM
We will be a better team ... Hopefully double digits in the win colum ....

Just Passin' By
05-22-2009, 09:57 PM
We will be a better team ... Hopefully double digits in the win colum ....

I'll take the under on that.

Reerun_KC
05-22-2009, 10:04 PM
I'll take the under on that.

Is a taking the "way under for the block Bob" an option?