PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV TV Commercial and elevated volume rant!

MIAdragon
05-24-2009, 11:26 PM
WTF is with these damn commercials that absolutely crank up the volume how the hell is this allowed. You're watching something at level 4 then break to commercial and the fuggers crank the volume to 18 :cuss:It drives me crazy. Does this bother anyone else? :cuss:

cdcox
05-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Some TV's used to have a circuit that would automatically compensate for that. I'm surprised they haven't standardized that feature on all TV's.

MIAdragon
05-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Some TV's used to have a circuit that would automatically compensate for that. I'm surprised they haven't standardized that feature on all TV's.

Hmm Im running my sound through a Pioneer receiver.

Bugeater
05-24-2009, 11:35 PM
It was Magnavox, and the feature was "Smart Sound". I have one and it doesn't work worth a damn.

Shaid
05-24-2009, 11:36 PM
I can't stand it either. They should at the very least put restrictions on that kind of crap at night.

Shaid
05-24-2009, 11:37 PM
It was Magnavox, and the feature was "Smart Sound". I have one and it doesn't work worth a damn.

I have it on my magnavox too, almost completely worthless.

Bugeater
05-24-2009, 11:39 PM
In all seriousness, there is nothing worse that dozing off and then all of a sudden being awakened by...

HI!

BILLY MAYS HERE FOR __________

RedDread
05-24-2009, 11:40 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UWRyj5cHIQA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UWRyj5cHIQA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You're gonna love my nuts!

rtmike
05-24-2009, 11:53 PM
I usually stay up later than the wife and it's usually the commercials that wake her ass up. I have to keep the remote close by so I can adjust the volume every time. :cuss:

MIAdragon
05-24-2009, 11:54 PM
I usually stay up later than the wife and it's usually the commercials that wake her ass up. I have to keep the remote close by so I can adjust the volume every time. :cuss:

bullshit right!?

sportsman1
05-25-2009, 12:02 AM
Don't you guys automatically mute the commercials? Thats way I was conditioned as a child.

KCChiefsMan
05-25-2009, 01:34 AM
ya, very annoying. I don't get TNT either, I'll be channel surfing back and forth between the NBA playoffs and something else, and TNT is about 10x louder than every other channel.

kysirsoze
05-25-2009, 01:57 AM
Don't you guys automatically mute the commercials? Thats way I was conditioned as a child.

I fast forward through them.

Easy 6
05-25-2009, 07:38 AM
I'm with ya on this, its incredibly annoying.

I remember about 10 years ago or so, there was a big Congressional hearing on this & a law was even passed prohibiting it, but i figured it wouldnt last & it didnt.

rockymtnchief
05-25-2009, 09:33 AM
In some cases, as with Direct TV, they are inserting their own sponsors and the levels don't coincide with the stations. Watch the same channel on cable and on satelite and you'll see different commercials and different levels.

But I agree, TNT and TBS just blasts you with noise.

chiefforlife
05-25-2009, 09:38 AM
It pissed me off so bad, I called DirecTV about it. They said it was done by the networks, not them.
My wife tries to mute during commercials but then we miss the start of the program. THIS REALLY PISSES ME OFF!

LaChapelle
05-25-2009, 09:57 AM
You have no problem tuning out the wife or kids or the homeless man on the corner begging for change. Man up.

JuicesFlowing
05-25-2009, 10:04 AM
In all seriousness, there is nothing worse that dozing off and then all of a sudden being awakened by...

HI!

BILLY MAYS HERE FOR __________

Exactly, you beat me to it. That douchebag is the worst.

Skip Towne
05-25-2009, 10:14 AM
I like it. It lets me hear the commercials while I'm mowing the lawn.

EyePod
05-25-2009, 10:16 AM
I agree. Plus, when I play on Pogo.com, I sometimes listen to music and mute the game. Then they have commercials (i'm not a club member) which are BLASTED. I have lost about 9 eardrums because of this. I complained to them. I understand that they need to run the commercials, but the volume control for the game should also correspond to the volume on the commercials. I got a very "awesome" generic response from pogo support explaining to me how to turn the volume on and off in games. That was so helpful, especially when I told them that I TURNED THE FUCKING VOLUME OFF. UGH.

crazycoffey
05-25-2009, 10:18 AM
It's in the middle of shows as well. conversations are low volume and then the car chase/gun shots/ fight scene or whatever starts and it's an elevated volume too.

I hate that....

Hydrae
05-25-2009, 10:24 AM
I have Suddenlink cable and I laugh every time they run a commercial that they are hiring. The volume is so low, you can't hear it at all. And this is their own commercial! ROFL

sparkky
05-25-2009, 10:40 AM

this

JD10367
05-25-2009, 10:42 AM
TiVo is your friend.

I haven't watched a commercial in 4 years.

notorious
05-25-2009, 10:49 AM
TiVo is your friend.

I haven't watched a commercial in 4 years.

It's sweet when my friends ask me if I have seen a funny commerical, and my only reply is "TIVO".

JD10367
05-25-2009, 11:02 AM
It's sweet when my friends ask me if I have seen a funny commerical, and my only reply is "TIVO".

And, not to thread hijack, but the best part about TiVo is that you never have to watch something live. Since TiVo can record and playback at the same time, even if you're home, and the show you want to watch is on, you can TiVo it and put that time to better use by watching something already recorded. Instead of watching an hour of, say, "CSI" and dealing with commercials, you can watch an hour and a half of something already recorded by skipping commercials. Aside from sports, I haven't watched live TV in forever. Not to mention, when the TiVo isn't doing anything, you can rewind and re-watch live TV to catch a sports replay or a nipple-slip. :) The DVR is an essential part of life IMO...

05-25-2009, 11:06 AM
That crap pisses me off. Movies that you can barely hear the dialogue but then they blast you with noise during action sequences tick me off too.

I would love Tivo if I didn't have to pay $14 per month just so they can tell me whats on my local channels when I already know.

notorious
05-25-2009, 11:10 AM
And, not to thread hijack, but the best part about TiVo is that you never have to watch something live. Since TiVo can record and playback at the same time, even if you're home, and the show you want to watch is on, you can TiVo it and put that time to better use by watching something already recorded. Instead of watching an hour of, say, "CSI" and dealing with commercials, you can watch an hour and a half of something already recorded by skipping commercials. Aside from sports, I haven't watched live TV in forever. Not to mention, when the TiVo isn't doing anything, you can rewind and re-watch live TV to catch a sports replay or a nipple-slip. :) The DVR is an essential part of life IMO...

You have control of football instant replay, or when there is a horrific call in basketball that the network will choose not to replay.

I went without it for 6 months, never again. I wasted too much time on commercials or waiting to watch want I wanted.

rad
05-25-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that suffers through this. I fucked with every audio setting I could find to try to remedy it, but nothing. I wish I had DVR.

rad
05-25-2009, 11:12 AM
It's in the middle of shows as well. conversations are low volume and then the car chase/gun shots/ fight scene or whatever starts and it's an elevated volume too.

I hate that....

This too.

Bugeater
05-25-2009, 11:15 AM
I would love Tivo if I didn't have to pay $14 per month just so they can tell me whats on my local channels when I already know.
This. I'd be willing to buy the DVR, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay a monthly fee to use it. TiVo can go **** themselves.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-25-2009, 11:20 AM
It's been common practice in broadcasting to record commercials at a couple db higher than regular broadcast levels (national commercials anyway we don't do it locally). It's meant to make you take notice of advertsing and as annoying as it is it works so don't expect it to change.

Every advertiser is looking for an edge and they'll gladly accept annoying people for the additional notice their products get because like I said it works. People remember those products better subconsciencly and that means more sales and more money. And in general no one remembers the actual products their brains were bombarded with in the "front" of their minds so the advertisers have little or nothing to lose and everything to gain. The sub-conscience has been targeted for years by advertisers and it always will be.

FWIW at the local radio level we work to maintain a good strong consistant broadcast level and frown on over modulating the station so anything that comes into us that is extra loud is put in our system at the same level as everything else. Just another reason why radio is superior to television.

:)

soundmind
05-25-2009, 11:22 AM
DirecTV is the provider I use - and it's out of f*cking control. NFLN is absolutely awful about it, and I refuse to believe it has anything to do with "levels" and incompatibility, it's a crude and tactless marketing effort, and that is all. Why look to creativity or actual products of worth...when you can just bare-knuckle your marketing into someone's brain...?

What they should realize is that while it makes me sick....I have had little problem with the barrage of advertisements on TV, I've gone numb. But this sh*t makes me change the channel immediately.

Quick Moral: They don't give a f*ck about you, never have, never will. As long as they can rape you without consequence, they will continue to do so, and laugh all the way to the bank.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-25-2009, 11:25 AM
it's a crude and tactless marketing effort

See above post

soundmind
05-25-2009, 11:31 AM
See above post

I think we posted at nearly the same time, cause I didn't see that when I wrote my little tirade....

However, it doesn't change anything about my angst. The "television advertising community" if there is such a thing, is second only to my hatred and utter disappointment of the FDA.

JD10367
05-25-2009, 11:36 AM

Well, you can also get a DVR through your cable company or satellite provider. But they'll still charge you around the same thing as a monthly fee. And TiVo is a bit more intuitive and easy-to-use; I have an HD DVR as well, and it's not as user-friendly. But at this point, technologically, any DVR would suffice. TiVo is to DVR what the iPod is to MP3 players.

(Now, I don't know if the TiVo box will work without the monthly fee. It wouldn't update the TV listings, which would negate a lot of its features (Season Pass, etc.,.). But I wonder if you could still use it like a VCR, because you can "Set By Time And Channel" to tape stuff as well. And it would still have the live-TV-rewinding functionality. If that would work, you can probably find a cheap used dual-tuner TiVo DVR and just use it like a VCR. A little more input needed but still better than videotapes.)

05-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Well, you can also get a DVR through your cable company or satellite provider. But they'll still charge you around the same thing as a monthly fee. And TiVo is a bit more intuitive and easy-to-use; I have an HD DVR as well, and it's not as user-friendly. But at this point, technologically, any DVR would suffice. TiVo is to DVR what the iPod is to MP3 players.

(Now, I don't know if the TiVo box will work without the monthly fee. It wouldn't update the TV listings, which would negate a lot of its features (Season Pass, etc.,.). But I wonder if you could still use it like a VCR, because you can "Set By Time And Channel" to tape stuff as well. And it would still have the live-TV-rewinding functionality. If that would work, you can probably find a cheap used dual-tuner TiVo DVR and just use it like a VCR. A little more input needed but still better than videotapes.)Actually, no, I can't get it through my cable company because the require me to upgrade to digital cable at over $70 per month. I pay $17 per month now for only the channels I want.

The only problem with using TIVO the way you have mentioned is that it only holds your recording schedule for 2 weeks and then you have to go and set up all the recordings again. I also think it screws with the commercial skip option as well.

I know they have the Lifetime thing but it is way too much for me to justify.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-25-2009, 11:41 AM
I think we posted at nearly the same time, cause I didn't see that when I wrote my little tirade....

However, it doesn't change anything about my angst. The "television advertising community" if there is such a thing, is second only to my hatred and utter disappointment of the FDA.

I understand and agree.

I've been in broadcasting for 20 years, mostly radio but one NBC tv affiliate too and sadly annoyance works when selling a product. It's why Billy Mays is successful enough to have his own tv show now. It's not going to change unless and until a major revolt against those advertisers that do it takes place. Then they'll just move on to another way to get an edge.

As much as we complain and bitch we should put ourselves in the advertsiers and networks shoes for a second. If our livlihood is predicated on making advertising dollars or from product sales in an over-crowded market wouldn't you look for any edge you can get over the competition? Of course you would because otherwise you lose and you're out of business. Loud wins nealry 100 times out of 100. I don't like it either but I understand it and it's not changing until consumers change they way they respond to it.

05-25-2009, 11:57 AM
I understand and agree.

I've been in broadcasting for 20 years, mostly radio but one NBC tv affiliate too and sadly annoyance works when selling a product. It's why Billy Mays is successful enough to have his own tv show now. It's not going to change unless and until a major revolt against those advertisers that do it takes place. Then they'll just move on to another way to get an edge.

As much as we complain and bitch we should put ourselves in the advertsiers and networks shoes for a second. If our livlihood is predicated on making advertising dollars or from product sales in an over-crowded market wouldn't you look for any edge you can get over the competition? Of course you would because otherwise you lose and you're out of business. Loud wins nealry 100 times out of 100. I don't like it either but I understand it and it's not changing until consumers change they way they respond to it.Loud makes me turn the channel or at the very least mute it. Doesn't sound like a win win situation to me.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Loud makes me turn the channel or at the very least mute it. Doesn't sound like a win win situation to me.

But the fact that you'll find the same thing about everywhere kind of negates that. I'm on record saying I don't like it either but years of results prove it works. They don't just guess at this stuff there is a lot of research that goes into seeing what works and what doesn't in advertising. Ad agencies make their living with this stuff. Maybe with the emergence of things like tivo we'll eventually see some change. Like the advertising in front of your face everywhere you look.... ugh.

Chaunceythe3rd
05-25-2009, 12:01 PM
Billy Mays the cleaning product guy. I'd like to stuff a dirty sock in his piehole.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Billy Mays the cleaning product guy. I'd like to stuff a dirty sock in his piehole.

He'd just Oxy Clean it and make another highly successful commercial and laugh all the way to the bank.

:)

JD10367
05-25-2009, 12:23 PM
The only problem with using TIVO the way you have mentioned is that it only holds your recording schedule for 2 weeks and then you have to go and set up all the recordings again. I also think it screws with the commercial skip option as well.

I don't think there's a "commercial skip" option... at least, not on my box. But I just fast-forward through 'em.

Not sure on the two-week thing. But it would still beat a VCR. :)

I hear you on the digital cable thing, though. I have a package, it's around $133 a month, but that gets me digital cable, the HD DVR, HBO channels, high-speed Internet, and digital telephone.

Groves
05-25-2009, 12:59 PM
The commercials aren't any louder at their loudest than the TV show is at it's loudest.

They're just heavily "compressed" to make most of the sound louder.

Requiring commercials to not sound that way would be the same as requiring them to be interesting or funny. Good luck.

The stations control max volume, but they don't control how much of your commercial is AT that max volume.

MoreLemonPledge
05-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Some of the most effective commercials are ones that are completely silent. They get my attention more than the loud ones because I think the TV's off.

JD10367
05-25-2009, 01:10 PM
A smart advertiser would just have the sound of a woman moaning as if getting :hump:ed. No matter what the product, from Doritos to pickup trucks to the ShamWow, just have the sound of a hot-sounding chick getting nailed. And, guaranteed, guys will pay attention. :)

Sh*t, speaking of this thread, I'm watching "CSI: NY" repeats on Spike and some local car-event commercial just blasted by friggin' eardrums off. (I'm in work, so no TiVo, dammit...)

colt459
05-25-2009, 01:43 PM
They're just heavily "compressed" to make most of the sound louder.

This is exactly what they do , they don't increase the volume over the max allowed they take everything in the commercial and increase it to the max db allowed by the fcc and compress it so everything is even across the board. Its a sneaky way but totally legal.

MoreLemonPledge
05-25-2009, 01:48 PM
This is exactly what they do , they don't increase the volume over the max allowed they take everything in the commercial and increase it to the max db allowed by the fcc and compress it so everything is even across the board. Its a sneaky way but totally legal.

Welcome to the board!

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Compressing audio doesn't make it louder it makes it consistant. Look at the VU meters when you play something heavily compressed compared to something uncompressed. It adds balls (which can give the impression its louder) and brings up the lows to match the highs but it doesn't add volume. It actually takes those louder notes down too. And there there is no "max allowed" volume, there's appropriate level volume and over-modulation. Just about everything is compressed anymore.

Groves
05-25-2009, 03:36 PM
well, even though everything benefits from *some* compression, there's still compression, and COMPRESSION.

From a consumer standpoint, we'd all love tv sets and tivo boxes that made commercials go bye bye.

Of course, the boys in control would never go for that, because it's awfully hard to sell ad space to people that way.

I hope there's a rise in independent programing that isn't hostage to advertisers, at least not in the traditional 30sec spot way.

Internet?

"Bob" Dobbs
05-25-2009, 03:52 PM
What Dr. Johnny said. It's not so much that the commercials are louder, it really is more that "normal" program audio is low, in comparison.

Dottefan
05-25-2009, 03:57 PM
lol. man I hate that crap

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-25-2009, 04:01 PM
What Dr. Johnny said. It's not so much that the commercials are louder, it really is more that "normal" program audio is low, in comparison.

So basically everyone who has tried to explain the "phenomenon" (sp?) in this thread is right to a degree at least.

Bwana
05-25-2009, 04:02 PM
I hate it as well, peckerheads.

JD10367
05-25-2009, 04:14 PM
I hate it as well, peckerheads.

Was that supposed to be a period? As a period, it reads, "I hate it as well. The people who do that are peckerheads." As a comma, it reads, "I hate it as well, and think you're all a bunch of peckerheads." :)

Hey, I got a B.A. in English, and make my living operating machinery. I gotta do something with it...

"Bob" Dobbs
05-25-2009, 05:37 PM
So basically everyone who has tried to explain the "phenomenon" (sp?) in this thread is right to a degree at least.I've always thought TV (at least broadcast) should process their audio much more. Treat the main audio feed as you would FM.
If they did that, the SHOUTING spots wouldn't be near as noticeable.

Lzen
05-25-2009, 07:59 PM

Same

banyon
05-25-2009, 09:19 PM
In some cases, as with Direct TV, they are inserting their own sponsors and the levels don't coincide with the stations. Watch the same channel on cable and on satelite and you'll see different commercials and different levels.

But I agree, TNT and TBS just blasts you with noise.

DirecTV's own commercials are the worst about this, they just crank up the volume all the way. Vonage ads are the loudest too. "LOOK AT OUR CRAPPY CELL PHONE SERVICE WILLYA?!!!?"

I have my sound going through my TV and through my Pioneer stereo. The Pioneer is set to the desired volume, and the TV is set to a lower level. When the crazy loud ad comes on, I just turn off the stereo and stick with the low volume until the commercials are over, then I turn the receiver back on. That way I don't ever have to mess with the volume level.

colt459
05-25-2009, 11:49 PM
It actually takes those louder notes down too. And there there is no "max allowed" volume, there's appropriate level volume and over-modulation. Just about everything is compressed anymore.

I guess "max allowed" was a bad term. I probably should of said threshold, which if crossed drops the amplitude of the wave signal back down.

Jawshco
05-25-2009, 11:57 PM
This phenomenon is totally the FCC's fault. They heavily regulate everything regarding all television shows, including volume, but for some reason they don't regulate the volume of commercials at all- and of course all advertisers choose to abuse this fact. I read somewhere awhile back that there was a bill floating around to get the FCC to include commercial volume in their regulation, but this was probably a couple years ago...I'm not sure why it never happened.

bevischief
05-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Trying being hearing impaired... F%%$%ing A$$^%$#s.

"Bob" Dobbs
05-26-2009, 08:58 PM
This phenomenon is totally the FCC's fault. They heavily regulate everything regarding all television shows, including volume, but for some reason they don't regulate the volume of commercials at all- and of course all advertisers choose to abuse this fact. I read somewhere awhile back that there was a bill floating around to get the FCC to include commercial volume in their regulation, but this was probably a couple years ago...I'm not sure why it never happened.That's just simply not true. The only regulation regarding volume is a limit of of 105% modulation of EVERYTHING, including commercials. See above posts regarding compression.

MadMax
05-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Was that supposed to be a period? As a period, it reads, "I hate it as well. The people who do that are peckerheads." As a comma, it reads, "I hate it as well, and think you're all a bunch of peckerheads." :)

Hey, I got a B.A. in English, and make my living operating machinery. I gotta do something with it...

peckerhead :)

05-26-2009, 09:47 PM

Hey, I got a B.A. in English, and make my living operating machinery. I gotta do something with it...128 posts and he is already whipping out his BS. Oops, I mean B.A. :D

JD10367
05-27-2009, 06:11 AM
128 posts and he is already whipping out his BS. Oops, I mean B.A. :D

BS = Bull Shit
MS = More Shit
PhD = Piled Higher And Deeper

I went to college because I was bored. I took the Seven Year Plan, and majored in Video Games and Laziness. (I could play "Gauntlet" all day for one quarter.) Dropped out of one college, went to another, started taking lit courses that interested me, and after six years I looked at my transcript and said, "Hey, if I take these four courses here, I get an English degree". Like the dusty condom in the wallet, the degree has never been used. The only thing I'm whipping out a lot certainly ain't my college degree. :D

(P.S.: Surprisingly, the easiest character to use was the Wizard. Poor foot speed, shield, and fight power, but his magic power and shot power kicked ass. Next easiest was the Elf (good foot speed). The hardest was the Warrior 'cause his axe wouldn't shoot through cracks in the wall...)

DaKCMan AP
05-27-2009, 07:24 AM
I notice this on Fox more than the other networks.