PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Why didn't we sign this guy???

kcbubb
05-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Orlando Pace.... Here's part of an article on Chicago and their progress.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ai7NbhAGDxTxynyp2FpQZ7FDubYF?slug=cr-cutleroffense052509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The 33-year-old future Hall of Famer showed in the first workout that he still has lateral quickness and handwork in the passing game. But until the Bears put pads on in training camp, it will be impossible to know if past knee issues have robbed him of the ability to maul in the running game.

“I believe he can still be that [run blocker],” Turner said. “He’s still a good football player. He’s got some time left in him. I don’t know how much, but at least a couple of years in my opinion. He’s moving really well. You can see his health.”

Added Pace, “I feel really good – great, actually. This is the best I’ve felt in four years. They have a really good strength program. It’s helping me clean a lot of stuff out, a lot of pains in my body out. I do a lot more stretching than I ever have in the past. I probably get stretched every day now. I’m just really taking care of my body more than ever and training a lot differently.”

MoreLemonPledge
05-26-2009, 02:21 PM
He is old, has terrible knees, is consistently hurt, wants a lot of money, and we already have a left tackle.

Quesadilla Joe
05-26-2009, 02:22 PM
Because he is a left tackle.

T-post Tom
05-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Because Joe Horn DIDN'T sleep with his wife? :shrug:

kcbubb
05-26-2009, 02:27 PM
ummm.... he can play right tackle... and the last time I checked. we need one pretty bad.

MoreLemonPledge
05-26-2009, 02:30 PM
ummm.... he can play right tackle... and the last time I checked. we need one pretty bad.

Yes, but he's still chronically injured, old, and would cost too much money for a right tackle.

Miles
05-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Sometimes aging vets prefer to sign with playoff contenders.

Kyle DeLexus
05-26-2009, 02:33 PM

The big question right now is with his knees. If they are what they have been, he won't be as effective at RT due to poor run blocking.

kcbubb
05-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Sometimes aging vets prefer to sign with playoff contenders.

this is the only legit reason... but I really doubt that Pioli and co. considered bringing him in.

MoreLemonPledge
05-26-2009, 02:35 PM
this is the only legit reason... but I really doubt that Pioli and co. considered bringing him in.

You really think it would have been a good move to sign him?

Quesadilla Joe
05-26-2009, 02:36 PM

Mark Schlereth has said quite a few times on NFL Live that switching from one side to the other at the tackle position is very hard to do.

He gave an example of how Tony Jones was the best RT he ever played with and when Gary Zimmerman got hurt they tried to move Tony to LT for a game or two and he was horrible at LT.

KCChiefsMan
05-26-2009, 02:36 PM
this would be a good spot for some lolz cats

Brock
05-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Old, broken down, hasn't played a full season in years. anything else?

Spicy McHaggis
05-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Because he's only played about 20 games in the last 3 seasons combined?

kcbubb
05-26-2009, 02:58 PM
You really think it would have been a good move to sign him?

are you currently satisfied with McIntosh at RT???

Brock
05-26-2009, 02:59 PM
are you currently satisfied with McIntosh at RT???

Pace isn't a right tackle.

kcbubb
05-26-2009, 03:18 PM
neither was McIntosh... I think Pace would have been an obvious upgrade over McIntosh.

Kyle DeLexus
05-26-2009, 03:20 PM
neither was McIntosh... I think Pace would have been an obvious upgrade over McIntosh.

He wouldn't sign to play RT so it's a pointless argument.

Micjones
05-26-2009, 03:21 PM
His contract demands were the real culprit, IIRC.

Crush
05-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Orlando Pace.... Here's part of an article on Chicago and their progress.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ai7NbhAGDxTxynyp2FpQZ7FDubYF?slug=cr-cutleroffense052509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The 33-year-old future Hall of Famer showed in the first workout that he still has lateral quickness and handwork in the passing game. But until the Bears put pads on in training camp, it will be impossible to know if past knee issues have robbed him of the ability to maul in the running game.

“I believe he can still be that [run blocker],” Turner said. “He’s still a good football player. He’s got some time left in him. I don’t know how much, but at least a couple of years in my opinion. He’s moving really well. You can see his health.”

Added Pace, “I feel really good – great, actually. This is the best I’ve felt in four years. They have a really good strength program. It’s helping me clean a lot of stuff out, a lot of pains in my body out. I do a lot more stretching than I ever have in the past. I probably get stretched every day now. I’m just really taking care of my body more than ever and training a lot differently.”

His blood has frozen & curdled with fright
His knees have trembled & given way in the night
His hand has weakened at the moment of truth
His step has faltered