PDA

View Full Version : Life Blood donors are needed!

alnorth
05-28-2009, 07:51 PM
The United States of America is one of the most charitably-inclined countries in the world, with huge amounts of money donated every year to many worthy causes. However, there is one vital need in every community in the US that is always in short supply because it requires time rather than money to give something that can not be bought or made.

I have always been a huge believer in blood donation, so maybe once every couple years or so I post some sort of PSA about it. Since I heard somewhere that June 14th 2009 is world blood donor day (I guess they have a day/week/month for everything), here it is!

Are we really short of blood?

About every 2 seconds, someone in the United States needs blood. Nine out of ten people who live to age 70 will need blood sometime in their lifetime (sometimes many, many units of blood). About 37 percent of Americans are eligible to donate blood, but only three percent do. As a blood donor, you would be joining a very select group of people.

Generally, people are very willing to step up and donate blood when some kind of disaster strikes. However, red blood cells only have a shelf life of 35-42 days, and platelets must be used within a week, so these occasional outbursts of giving are good, but most communities scrape by with a few days supply through constant blood drives and the support of "regulars" who donate several times a year.

The blood supply tends to run particularly low during the summer and winter months, but there is no "season" where we really need more than usual. We all depend on a constant steady supply of donors. Some of the most reliable donors tend to be older people who are now beginning to fall out of eligibility or die out, which has led many states to lower age requirements and encourage older high school students to consider blood donation. Donations by 16 and 17-year olds now account for about 8% of all whole blood collected by the American Red Cross. (This sort of makes sense, if kids are being encouraged to go ahead and just try it at least this once, and many of them dont stick around)

Blood can not be manufactured, there is absolutely no way to get it other than regular volunteer donations throughout the year. If you have an illness or trauma that requires several units of blood, you may survive only through the grace of a few strangers 40 miles and 4 days ago giving blood at their office blood drive.

Can I give blood?

If you are a healthy adult with acceptable blood pressure and weight, you probably can. There are many restrictions that may cause you to be deferred temporarily or indefinitely, which you can find here (http://www.bloodbook.com/donr-requir.html). In most states, a minor at age 17 can give blood with parent's consent. (Kansas and Missouri both allow it at 16 with parent's permission)

Where can I give blood?

Fortunately, most communities have blood drives going on all the time. Many of us have blood drives a few times a year at our work site or university. If you dont have a convenient blood drive coming by work periodically, you can probably use google to find your local blood bank or try https://www.givelife.org/

What can I expect if I do give blood?

You will first go through a 2-part confidential screening. First you will be asked to answer several questions that would possibly lead to a deferrment right away. (That way as little of your time is wasted as possible if it turns out you cant give blood). Your pulse and blood pressure will be taken to ensure that you are healthy enough to give, and one of your fingers (your choice) will be pricked to gather a tiny amount of blood in a test to ensure that giving blood will not cause you to become anemic. I believe the only information that is permanantly kept from this screening is the relevant information necessary if you are deferred. (For example, if someone has AIDS, they obviously need to know about that in a confidential deferrment list so they dont try to donate in the future).

If you pass the screening, you will lie down comfortably in a reclined chair or medical table. You will tell them which arm you want to use, which they will sterilize before inserting the needle. You should only feel a slight pinch. I give blood around 6 times a year, and in my experience they usually do a flawless job 5 out of 6 times. Once a year they dont quite get it right and they have to adjust the needle slightly. Obviously a small amount of pain should be expected when the needle goes in, but if it hurts more than usual, you should let them know. The needle that will be used will be new, so there is no risk of getting an infectious disease through donating blood.

The collection should only take 5 to 10 minutes. (It varies, sometimes your going fast, sometimes not) After this, they will bandage your arm, make you wait about 5 more minutes to make sure your ok, then send you to a "refreshment area" to chow down free cookies and juice for another 10-15 minutes. In a whole blood donation, your body replaces the fluids in 24 hours, and the red blood cells are replaced in 8 weeks.

What will they do with my blood?

If you make a whole blood donation (the most common type) your blood will be seperated into several units, usually blood cells, platelets, and plasma. Most patients only need one specific type of blood product, so your donation may be used to help up to 5 people.

So, what should I do if:

I tried before and was deferred?

Thank you for giving it a shot. Depending on the specific reason, you may want to check to see if you can donate in the future. Most deferrments are temporary, and some situations that may have gotten you "indefinitely deferred" before may no longer defer you. It doesnt hurt to check that link above, restrictions are changed and updated every year. (For example, it used to be that every time you got a piercing or tattoo, you were automatically out for at least a year. Now some states will no longer defer you if you got the tattoo or piercing at a state-licensed facility that is regularly inspected to follow safety precautions.)

I dont want to donate blood. It's not that I have a medical problem, its a pain and just not for me.

Well, ok. I hope you remember those who did donate if you ever have a need.

I've never done this before

Tell them that. They will then know your nervous, pay special attention to you, and probably have someone who is highly experienced handle the needle.

I can donate a few times a year, but I want it to be over with as quickly as possible.

Like the vast majority of people, you will probably be donating whole blood. From the time you walk in and register until you leave with a bandage on your arm shouldnt take more than 45 minutes to an hour, unless they are absolutely swamped with blood donors. (not often) When you do a whole blood donation, you can donate again in 8 weeks.

I'm very busy, and I only really want to donate once or twice a year, but I'm fine with it taking a while when I am able to go in.

You may want to ask them if they are able to let you do a "double red" apheresis donation. This will give the blood bank two units of red blood cells that are most often used for trauma patients and surgeries. The process is similar except you are basically hooked to a machine that will take two units of whole blood, seperate out the red blood cells, and give the fluid (plasma and platelets) back to you. This takes longer than a normal donation, perhaps 1.5 to 2 hours, but you wont be asked to donate again for 16 weeks (which is fine for the person who only wants to go through it 2 or 3 times a year). Sometimes they use one needle to draw and return blood, or they may use two different needles, but this type of donation will often use a smaller needle than a whole blood donation.

I'm poor. How do I get paid?

Ideally, volunteer blood is preferable because they have been proven to generate a safer blood supply. Red blood cells and platelets are accepted only from volunteer donors, but plasma is often used in very large quantities for burn victims, treat serious disorders, and create disease prevention products. Because the Plasma donation process is more inconvenient than donating whole blood and they need a lot more plasma than what is found in a whole blood unit, some companies will pay for plasma. You wont find this in a blood drive, but if you look around, you can probably find it. Your body replaces plasma very quickly, and you will probably be allowed to donate twice a week.

I dont mind the idea of donating blood, but I have type AB+ blood

In other words, you are discouraged because you think that your blood isn't needed as much as the other types, and only people with your exact blood type can have your blood. You shouldnt let this stop you, because all blood types are needed. People with AB+ can receive other blood types, but if a unit of AB+ is available from you, that saves another unit of blood that someone else may really need tomorrow.

However, if this really bothers you, you may also want to consider donating plasma. Oddly enough, the usual rule about O- being the universal donor and AB+ being the universal recipient is reversed for plasma. In the world of plasma, AB is valuable because anyone can have AB+ plasma.

I donate regularly now, but I'm hardcore. What more can I do, I'm willing to do the most I can for the blood supply.

Well, if you really feel that strongly about donating blood, you can consider being a platelet apheresis donor. Platelets are most commonly needed by cancer patients, open heart surgery, and those receiving organ or bone marrow transplants. It takes about six units of whole blood to make 1 unit of platelets, which you can donate. If the 8-week wait for whole blood annoys you, this procedure allows you to donate every 2 weeks, and unlike paid plasma donations, not many people are as willing to do this.

This is similar to a double-red donation, except instead of taking two units, seperating, and returning the unused parts, they have to continually take and return blood while collecting platelets in a procedure that can last 70 minutes to 2 hours. They typically will have music, TV, and/or movies for the donor to watch during the procedure.

alnorth
05-28-2009, 08:03 PM
In this thread it is also acceptable to brag about how often you donate or have donated blood. So, how often do you give blood?

Scorp
05-28-2009, 08:05 PM
Just get a tattoo every 6 months and tell these blood people you can't give because you got a tattoo recently. (or just get 1 tattoo and use that tattoo as the excuse)

Kyle DeLexus
05-28-2009, 08:32 PM
I donated plasma during the school year because well believe it or not Intramural officials don't get paid a heck of a lot and I needed beer money.

Gracie Dean
05-28-2009, 09:27 PM
My dad was 0 negative so he was always asked to donate

MIAdragon
05-29-2009, 12:11 AM
My dad was 0 negative so he was always asked to donate

I'm Oneg as well I try to give a few times a year

ziggysocki
05-29-2009, 12:20 AM
I am O- so I give every 2 months. This time I gave a double red on an asheresis machine (spits the reds from the plasma and then pumps the plasma back in). The reds are used in babies and really really sick folks. It is harder to be eligible, but you should try. I really started giving blood regularly after spending lots of time in hospitals (with the wife going thru chemo and such). My regret is not having started sooner. Please give if you can.

Abba-Dabba
05-29-2009, 12:27 AM
I'll never donate to the Red Cross. Nothing but crooks. Ever seen how much they sell your blood for? The prices range from city to city and they can be astounding per pint. In the hundreds of dollars range. Hospitals throw out blood everyday because it is past the expiration date. There really aren't any shortages. Although the Red Cross would like for you to believe so.

I had a friend that had his home partially destroyed in a tornado. Here comes the Red Cross acting as some sort of saviors handing out donated blankets and clothes. Couple of months later, they sent everyone who took something a bill for what was given to them. I'm not talking a couple of bucks here or there. I'm talking $30.00 for a used blanket, $20.00 for used shirts and pants. All items that you could get at the SA or DAV for $1 a pop.

Ask some WWII veterans how they feel about the Red Cross. Some of the responses might just surprise you.

Kyle DeLexus
05-29-2009, 12:38 AM
I'll never donate to the Red Cross. Nothing but crooks. Ever seen how much they sell your blood for? The prices range from city to city and they can be astounding per pint. In the hundreds of dollars range. Hospitals throw out blood everyday because it is past the expiration date. There really aren't any shortages. Although the Red Cross would like for you to believe so.

I had a friend that had his home partially destroyed in a tornado. Here comes the Red Cross acting as some sort of saviors handing out donated blankets and clothes. Couple of months later, they sent everyone who took something a bill for what was given to them. I'm not talking a couple of bucks here or there. I'm talking $30.00 for a used blanket, $20.00 for used shirts and pants. All items that you could get at the SA or DAV for $1 a pop.

Ask some WWII veterans how they feel about the Red Cross. Some of the responses might just surprise you.

Wow. I knew that plasma was extremely expensive for people get it from the donation places, but had no idea blood was the same way. At least when you donate plasma they pay you for your time.

Abba-Dabba
05-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Wow. I knew that plasma was extremely expensive for people get it from the donation places, but had no idea blood was the same way. At least when you donate plasma they pay you for your time.

Oh yeah. And plasma has many more uses too. Do a google search for "red cross sells blood" and you can then start to see the nice little racket the Red Cross has set up for themselves.

alnorth
05-29-2009, 12:55 AM

Thank you for your well-reasoned analysis backed by evidence. This is a refreshing change from the crazed baseless opinions and unverified anecdotal stories I'd expect from the looney "Red Cross is a fraud!" crowd. I thought the red cross was a non-profit organization that only needed to cover costs, but apparently they are a massive corporation earning profits and paying out dividends. Who knew!

alnorth
05-29-2009, 12:56 AM
Oh yeah. And plasma has many more uses too. Do a google search for "red cross sells blood" and you can then start to see the nice little racket the Red Cross has set up for themselves.

Of course they sell blood. What was their profit last year? You cant work full-time as an unpaid volunteer unless your retired or independently wealthy. Not to mention all the other miscellaneous costs involved, gas, equipment, etc.

Abba-Dabba
05-29-2009, 01:03 AM
Thank you for your well-reasoned analysis backed by evidence. This is a refreshing change from the crazed baseless opinions and unverified anecdotal stories I'd expect from the looney "Red Cross is a fraud!" crowd. I thought the red cross was a non-profit organization that only needed to cover costs, but apparently they are a massive corporation earning profits and paying out dividends. Who knew!

Aww, I stepped on your toes. I'm sorry. Sometimes the truth hurts.

cookster50
05-29-2009, 06:19 AM
I do plasma, so I can't do blood also. However, I've never been inclined to donate blood due to fears that what saggysack said is true. I don't know, never have done the research. Just seems to me like there are several hands in the whole process that come out with lots of moolah. If my donated blood was sold at "cost" and no one made profit by it, I would be more inclined to donate. However, I don't like the idea of donating something and then others profiting on it(such as the hospital, any middle men, red cross, etc). Perhaps no one makes money on it, anyone have a link?

Chiefs_Mike_Topeka
05-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Please make sure it is not HIV infected and doesn't end up in anyones Pepsi.

raybec 4
05-29-2009, 07:18 AM
I just got my 2 gallon pin from the evil Red Cross empire.

ziggysocki
05-29-2009, 07:30 AM
I just got my 2 gallon pin from the evil Red Cross empire.

Good Work raybec! :clap: Even if someone is getting rich off of it, someone is still alive because of it. Can't just pump those having lung transplants (see sticky at top of page) full of red Kool Aide. Ask CrazyHorse and his family if they care how much the blood costs. (not saying it is right to rip off those in crisis, just that donation is still important)

Abba-Dabba
05-29-2009, 07:44 AM
FTR, I have no problem with those giving blood. It is needed very much. What I do have a problem with is the audicity of the cost-recovery practices the Red Cross uses. It may be hard for those to understand that in the end it does nothing more than raise the health costs associated to the patient. In a time where healthcare costs are at all-time highs, I think it is a little disingenuous of a charitable organization to use strong arm tactics that only end up affecting the people who need it the most.

There is other organizations not widely as known that don't recieve the same free benefits of advertising the Red Cross does, but provides blood at a much better rate.

alnorth
05-29-2009, 04:15 PM
FTR, I have no problem with those giving blood. It is needed very much. What I do have a problem with is the audicity of the cost-recovery practices the Red Cross uses. It may be hard for those to understand that in the end it does nothing more than raise the health costs associated to the patient.

Non-profit doesnt mean "we spend more than we take in" (and go out of business, shut our doors, good luck everyone). Unless you are the federal government, you have a budget that must balance. Objecting to the red cross and blood banks selling blood is completely silly.

http://www.slate.com/id/2149359/

Local hospitals work out contracts with regional suppliers or their local Red Cross facility. In general, they'll work with a single vendor, but they may shop around a bit to find the best prices. Regional suppliers provide about half the nation's blood supply, and the Red Cross kicks in 45 percent. Hospitals generate the remaining 5 percent through their own blood drives.

All blood suppliers are nonprofits, and the prices they charge follow the cost of production. Personnel costs make up half the price hospitals pay "at the pump"—labor can be very expensive, since staffers must be brought on to recruit donors, collect their blood, and then process it and test it for contamination. The cost of the testing procedures themselves contributes about 25 percent to the final price of blood. Most of the rest goes to administrative overhead—rent payments for buildings that house the blood centers, for example. (Most blood banks also mark up a few percent extra so they can keep a little cash on hand.)

TEX
05-29-2009, 06:22 PM
I work for Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center in Houston. We're the 4th largest center in the nation. We supply more than 250 hospitals in our region with blood and we need about 900 units daily to do so. People that object to the "selling of blood and blood products" by non profits need to realize that when we "sell" blood, we are actually selling our services for collecting it and testing it. If you want to bitch, then go directly to the insurance companies and hospital systems who mark up the cost to patients sometimes 1000%.
For example it costs us about $250 to collect, process, and test a unit of WB (Whole Blood) There are 3 parts that are used - Red Cells, Plasma, and Platelets. By the time a patient gets it, the cost can be THOUSANDS of $$$$ per component.

Saulbadguy
05-29-2009, 06:44 PM
I do not recommend giving blood and then going to the bar to get hammered.

Just thought i'd throw that out there.

TEX
05-29-2009, 08:07 PM
I do not recommend giving blood and then going to the bar to get hammered.

Just thought i'd throw that out there.

It's a double edged sword - it will cost you far less to get hammered because you'll go under the influence on far less - but the hang over will be way worse...

Whe we have blood drives with Houston Astros, the fans love it because tget drunk on far less and save money - but the hang overs are hell.