PDA

View Full Version : Life Headed to Rodanthe

runnercyclist
05-28-2009, 11:50 PM
...for the week. This will be our first trip. Taking the bike. it will be interesting to ride on a road that is flat for a change.

Any suggestions from those who've been?

CaliforniaChief
05-29-2009, 12:38 AM
Keep Richard Gere away from your wife.

runnercyclist
05-29-2009, 01:17 AM
Keep Richard Gere away from your wife.

I thought he preferred gerbils?

KCChiefsMan
05-29-2009, 01:25 AM
is that where they shot Officer and a Gentleman?

kc rush
05-29-2009, 08:00 AM
We spent a week there a few years ago and loved it. There are a lot of great things to do in the area.

We do prefer the Emerald Isle area more though just because it is less crowded/touristy.

Have fun.

Dante84
05-29-2009, 08:05 AM
is that where they shot Officer and a Gentleman?

I dunno, but that's where the movie "Nights in Rodanthe" takes place...

Chief Chief
05-29-2009, 08:29 AM
Keep Diane Lane away from your wife. She's HOT! (Diane Lane, that is...not your wife)

nickman
05-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Been to the Outer Banks every year for the last 14 years, will go again in late July. Staying further south in Buxton this year, have never stayed in Rodnathe though. Usually in Avon which is 12 miles south of there. What would you like to know?

runnercyclist
05-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Been to the Outer Banks every year for the last 14 years, will go again in late July. Staying further south in Buxton this year, have never stayed in Rodnathe though. Usually in Avon which is 12 miles south of there. What would you like to know?

Great restaurants, must see attractions, do they rent watercraft, etc..

nickman
05-29-2009, 02:42 PM
We love it, varies from 9 to 14 people from our family go every year. Yes you can rent watercraft, all we have ever rented is kayak's and surf boards though. Attractions, lighthouses, there are 4 on the outer banks. You will pass one Bodie Island on the way down. Other three are Corolla, Cape Hatteras and Ocracoke. Corolla is way north and Ocracoke is south on a island only accessable by ferry. The ferry ride and island are worth the trip if you have hours to spare. Cape Hatteras is about 15 miles south of where you are staying and is open to climb most days. It also has a museum that used to be the lightkeepers cabin. It is also right on the beach for the best surfing and boggie boarding area on the east coast. If you like quaint village settings taking a drive up to Manteo is neat, lots of little shops and small port setting. Also on Manteo is a garden, outdoor theatre which always performs "The lost colony" historical perspective on first village. Another note, if you do these make sure everyone uses bug spray and take it along to reapply. Mosquito's are terrible there. There is also a small aquarium in Manteo. Another thing we have tried is hang gliding on the dunes in Kitty Hawk north of where you are staying. Also in Kitty Hawk is the Wright Brothers memorial celebrating the first flight.

Restaurants, frankly we have not found any that are great. We don't go out that much but for the most part we find that they are pretty uninspiring. Our theory is that they have a built in customer base since its primarily a vacation area with few locals so they put little effort into being unique or really good. Now we have not tried any of the really high end ones so that may be a different story. If you find one that is great let me know.

Great place to run and bike, flat and people are fairly respectful. There is only one real road to bike the main highway but you can ride for miles. Note of interest, there is most always a fairly strong south wind you will have to face one way or the other. I have taken both my racing bike and or my hybrid bike and ridden. Generally I just run. I don't find the beach all that conducive to running though, too much incline so it bothers my knees.

Sorry for the long reponse... If there is anything else you would like to know I would be glad to tell what I know

Dallas Chief
05-29-2009, 02:48 PM
My dad lives in Kitty Hawk right on the Abelmarle Sound. We try to make out there at least 2-3 times per year. Enjoy your trip. The beaches there are very nice and mostly clean... Anything you want to rent, you can mostly find throughout OBX. I've never been to Rodanthe so I wouldn't venture to guess on any restaurants there. If you get to Kill Devil Hills you should try Awful Arthur's. They get most of their fish daily from local fisherman, etc. Basnight's Lone Cedar is an annual tradition for us as well. It is at the base of the causeway between Nag's Head and Manteo.

http://www.lonecedarcafe.com/
http://www.awfularthursobx.com/

The North Carolina Aquarium in Manteo is pretty cool also. If you are into that kind of thing...
http://www.ncaquariums.com/roanoke-island

kc rush
05-29-2009, 03:20 PM
Ocracoke is neat. It is a bit of an artist community so there is plenty to see. The waiting line for a ferry can be a pain though.

You can climb the Hatteras lighthouse and get a great view.

Are you staying on the ocean or sound side?