PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Wisconsin Recruit Decommits due to message board comments

Mr. Arrowhead
05-29-2009, 09:00 AM
i thought this was pretty interesting

Wisconsin decommitment a lesson for message-board miscreants
May 22, 2009
By Gary Parrish
CBSSports.com Senior Writer
Tell Gary your opinion!

Sticks and stones will break your bones but words will never hurt you.

Unless, of course, you're Vander Blue.

In that case, the words hurt.

And it was only a matter of time before we got here, wasn't it?

If Bo Ryan loses Vander Blue for good because of message boards, he might pull his hair out. (Getty Images)
If Bo Ryan loses Vander Blue for good because of message boards, he might pull his hair out. (Getty Images)
"These so-called Wisconsin fans, what they had to say on those [message boards], it really made me second-guess: Do people really want me here?" Blue told Jeff Potrykus of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. "Because I know if I was a fan and I heard about a recruit [who might be struggling academically], I'd be more like: 'What can we do to help him?' And not, 'Let's make him feel like the worst person in Madison right now.'"

Vander Blue decommitted from Wisconsin earlier this week.

It was not national news.

He is not John Wall.

But what made it a national story -- and perhaps a lesson for the uncivilized world of message boards, if we're lucky -- is that the decommitment was prefaced by a story about the Madison native's alleged academic woes, which led to some Wisconsin fans spending their days publicly bashing the Class of 2010 standout on the Internet. They questioned his attitude, character and intelligence. And guess what? Vander Blue read it and it bothered him.

He is 16 years old, by the way.

"I felt like I was in a corner, trapped and I couldn't get out," Blue told the Milwaukee paper. "I just felt like it was so unnecessary. I don't think I'm that worse of a guy. Sometimes I might be tired and have a little attitude, [but] I don't think I'm a horrible person.

"Forty year-old adults talking about somebody who don't got their license yet; I just felt it was so unnecessary," Blue added. "Picture yourself in my position. Rumors going around, you're just keeping quiet. And you read the article and 1,000 people [are] throwing you under the bus."

It would be easy to spend the next 250 words killing Wisconsin fans.

It would also miss the larger point.

Because this is not a story about Blue and Wisconsin as much as it's a story about message boards, and how total anonymity allows people to attack and attack and attack with little regard for the folks they are attacking. On a personal level, I can't tell you how many wild (and anonymous) words are written about me each month either on message boards or via e-mail; words that question my integrity, background, education, sexuality, hairstyle (that one's open for criticism, I suppose) and anything else you can imagine. Every once in a while, I actually take the time to respond in the most reasonable way I know. And more times than not, I get a response within hours from somebody apologizing and explaining how they would've never been so rude or brash or ignorant if they really believed I would read it.

Well, I got news for you: I read it.

As does Vander Blue.

And though I'm an adult with a high-profile job who is by definition fair game, Vander Blue is -- as he put it -- "somebody who don't got their license yet." He has not graced magazine covers, played on national television, appeared in police blotters or done anything to make himself a target. The only notable things about him are that he's pretty good at basketball, and that he has committed to and decommitted from Bo Ryan's Wisconsin program. That's it. And yet dozens if not hundreds if not thousands of people -- some of whom are most certainly adults with children of their own -- have spent this week trashing Blue and everything about him to the point where it's reasonable to presume they've hurt the future recruitment of the prospect they once believed would lead the Badgers to Big Ten titles.

That's the kicker, you see.

Though Blue decommitted from Wisconsin, he never eliminated Wisconsin from his list of potential destinations. Rather, he just said he wanted to take another look around and make sure everything was a right fit because he committed when he was only 15. Makes sense to me. It probably makes sense to most people. But his wavering didn't make sense to some Wisconsin fans, and they responded with personal attacks that led to a good old-fashioned your-school-sucks/no-your-school-sucks war on a message board with Marquette fans. Poor Vander Blue just caught in the middle, young Vander Blue now scarred by the wrath of the same people he thought loved him just weeks ago.

He said it all made him feel like the "worst person in Madison."

But I suspect some anonymous posters have a better hold on that label.

Lzen
05-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Huh. Crazy.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-29-2009, 09:29 AM
kcnut has often made me consider decommiting to the board. He's so so brutally mean. luv has made me go fetal and cry myself to sleep.

The Franchise
05-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Maybe he should spend less time reading message boards and spend more time studying and doing his homework.

EyePod
05-29-2009, 09:35 AM
kcnut has often made me consider decommiting to the board. He's so so brutally mean. luv has made me go fetal and cry myself to sleep.

Because she's one of the nicest people on the board?

Dante84
05-29-2009, 09:36 AM
What a pussy.

Oops, guess he won't be a Chief now, either.

Dr. Johnny Fever
05-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Because she's one of the nicest people on the board?

It was an obviously lame attempt at somewhat sarcastic humor. They're the two nicest people I could think of.

DeezNutz
05-29-2009, 10:04 AM
It was an obviously lame attempt at somewhat sarcastic humor. They're the two nicest people I could think of.

Go fuck yourself.

Coach
05-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Man up.

Mr. Flopnuts
I don't think he's that worse of a guy either..........

Mr. Flopnuts
Go fuck yourself.

LMAO What in the blue fuck is up with your new avatar?

DeezNutz
05-29-2009, 10:10 AM
LMAO What in the blue **** is up with your new avatar?

A little Bloom County...

Opus.

RealSNR
05-29-2009, 10:13 AM
I don't think I'm that worse of a guy.Try studying harder in English class, you worthless, academically inelligible asshole

Rain Man
05-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Why hasn't this worked for Brandon Marshall yet?

beach tribe
05-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Suck it up you little puss.

He will pull a Ryan Leaf if he makes it big. "Knock it off!!!"

Bob Dole
05-29-2009, 10:41 AM
He don't got license yet because don't know how pass test.

kepp
05-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Was he, by chance, also voted prom queen?

tk13
05-29-2009, 11:04 AM
It's unfortunately the way sports are now. People will act tough but most 16 year olds don't have the maturity to handle that stuff. Only thing is anywhere he goes now will probably have the same reaction. But in reality that's what this is, a bunch of people talking like experts about stuff they know little about. That's just the nature of message boards.

beach tribe
05-29-2009, 11:15 AM
It's unfortunately the way sports are now. People will act tough but most 16 year olds don't have the maturity to handle that stuff. Only thing is anywhere he goes now will probably have the same reaction. But in reality that's what this is, a bunch of people talking like experts about stuff they know little about. That's just the nature of message boards.

Now instead of being called dumb, he'll be called a dumb bitch.

cdcox
05-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Wisconsin fans are classless and deranged.

Ultra Peanut
05-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Travis Tolbert (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=109473) is willing to take his spot.

Mr. Krab
05-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Suck it up you little puss.

He will pull a Ryan Leaf if he makes it big. "Knock it off!!!"
Unfair comparison. Ryan Leaf was a professional athlete and this is a 16 year old kid trying to go to college.

RealSNR
05-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Unfair comparison. Ryan Leaf was a professional athlete and this is a 16 year old kid trying to go to college.What are you, some kind of fat gay pussy?

DeezNutz
05-29-2009, 12:21 PM
What are you, some kind of fat gay pussy?

Yes.

Do you discriminate against guys like me?

Mr. Krab
05-29-2009, 12:26 PM
What are you, some kind of fat gay pussy?
I wouldn't go that far, maybe i could be classified as a slightly overweight, happy guy who likes to eat pussy.

close enough?

RealSNR
05-29-2009, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't go that far, maybe i could be classified as a slightly overweight, happy guy who likes to eat pussy.

close enough?You're the next Tony Mandarich. I'll bet you're really stupid, too. I don't want you on MY college football team.

RealSNR
05-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Yes.

Do you discriminate against guys like me?It's all fun and games until people start blaming internet message boards like Chiefsplanet. Then that's when I have to make painful decisions, like choosing to hate on you people.

RippedmyFlesh
05-29-2009, 03:05 PM
i thought this was pretty interesting

Because this is not a story about Blue and Wisconsin as much as it's a story about message boards, and how total anonymity allows people to attack and attack and attack with little regard for the folks they are attacking.

I agree with this 100%
The more "bad ass" someone acts on a message board the more of a pussy they prob are in RL.

RealSNR
05-29-2009, 03:45 PM
I agree with this 100%
The more "bad ass" someone acts on a message board the more of a pussy they prob are in RL.Fuck you. I will kick your ass.

kstater
05-29-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm sure decommitting and then bitching about message boards will make the message boards supporting his new school be that much nicer to him. I'm sure there won't be any trolls that appear on those boards.

mikey23545
05-29-2009, 03:59 PM
I agree with this 100%
The more "bad ass" someone acts on a message board the more of a pussy they prob are in RL.

**** you. I will kick your ass.

Case in point.

Skip Towne
05-29-2009, 04:13 PM
It's all fun and games until people start blaming internet message boards like Chiefsplanet. Then that's when I have to make painful decisions, like choosing to hate on you people.

Aren't you a violin teacher or something?

38yrsfan
05-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Some teenagers, even athletically-gifted ones, are especially sensitive to peers and social opinion. Something that will hopefully disappear as he matures if he expects to make a career as an entertainer/athlete.

RealSNR
05-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Aren't you a violin teacher or something?I'm a musicologist you retarded monkey licker

CrazyPhuD
05-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Damn it...I guess that explains why we lost herm too. You bastards you chased away our only chance at the 'ship! :cuss:

RealSNR
05-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Case in point.Holy shit, are you that fucking retarded that you missed out on the timing of the joke?

Go fucking die.

Phobia
05-29-2009, 11:55 PM
I'm a musicologist you retarded monkey licker

You're a band dork.

Hammock Parties
05-30-2009, 12:02 AM
Through it all I persevered.

Cleansed by the fire of the internet.

I'd like to talk to Vander Blue and tell him that one day...it will be okay.

Mr. Kotter
05-30-2009, 12:02 AM
You're a band dork.

Band GEEK, Phil.

He's a fuggin' Band GEEK, man.

Get it right, dork. :shake:

:p