PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request sister in law may have brain damage

ModSocks
05-30-2009, 02:42 AM
My 16 year old sister in law has been acting very strange these past 48 hrs. She has been haullucinating, claiming her family and friends are conspiring against her, saying the devil is after her brothers new born baby and she can't carry a coherent conversation anymore.

The doctors are testing her for meningitis (sp?). Her urine test came back negative for any drugs.we don't know what it is yet.

She's an intelligent, straight A student and overall good person, especially compared most 16 year olds these days.

The thought that her brain damage could be permanant is devastating. She has a promising future, and this would be...I don't have words for it.

Any prayers for her condition and recovery are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck
05-30-2009, 02:43 AM
hope she turns out well bro

KC native
05-30-2009, 02:46 AM
Hope all turns out well.

Rudimentary knowledge of psychology but those all fit schizophrenia. It may not be brain damage.

Schizophrenia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Schizophrenia (pronounced /ˌskɪtsəˈfrɛniə/ or /ˌskɪtsəˈfriːniə/), from the Greek roots skhizein (σχίζειν, "to split") and phrēn, phren- (φρήν, φρεν-; "mind") is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a mental disorder characterized by abnormalities in the perception or expression of reality. Distortions in perception may affect all five senses, including sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch, but most commonly manifest as auditory hallucinations, paranoid or bizarre delusions, or disorganized speech and thinking with significant social or occupational dysfunction. Onset of symptoms typically occurs in young adulthood,[1] with approximately 0.4–0.6%[2][3] of the population affected. Diagnosis is based on the patient's self-reported experiences and observed behavior. No laboratory test for schizophrenia currently exists.[4

Edit: she could also be tripping balls on LSD which wouldn't show up in a urine test.

ModSocks
05-30-2009, 02:50 AM
Hope all turns out well.

Rudimentary knowledge of psychology but those all fit schizophrenia. It may not be brain damage.

Edit: she could also be tripping balls on LSD which wouldn't show up in a urine test.

Whatever it is, I hope it doesn't destroy her future. I feel terrible. Out of all the people I know in this world, she's the last person to deserve this. Its not fair
Posted via Mobile Device

ModSocks
05-30-2009, 02:57 AM
I just got an update from my fiance. The doctors believe she has an infection on her brain. She has an abnormaly high white blood cell count.
Posted via Mobile Device

MIAdragon
05-30-2009, 04:25 AM
Wow, prayers for your sis and fam Detox.

MoreLemonPledge
05-30-2009, 04:30 AM
That's tough, especially at such a young age. I hope they figure it out and she gets better.

Old Dog
05-30-2009, 06:16 AM
Prayers and best wishes to her and your family.

Buehler445
05-30-2009, 07:34 AM
Good God that's terrible. You don't fuck with the brain. Hopefully she has good doctors that can get her problem rectified.

Groves
05-30-2009, 07:46 AM
that's horrible, a real tough situation.

BigVE
05-30-2009, 07:47 AM
Prayers and best wishes to her and your family.

bringbackmarty
05-30-2009, 08:00 AM
I just got an update from my fiance. The doctors believe she has an infection on her brain. She has an abnormaly high white blood cell count.
Posted via Mobile Device
That fits with the symptoms as well... Maybe menningitis?

Mr. Krab
05-30-2009, 08:43 AM
sorry to hear. :(

burt
05-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Prayers and good wishes to you , her and your entire family.

Dave Lane
05-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Good thoughts and hope for her...

SAUTO
05-30-2009, 09:05 AM
damn sorry to hear this, good luck to yours

Hydrae
05-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Prayers and thoughts for her and the whole family. Hopefully this is something they can correct quickly with no lingering effects.

RJ
05-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Best thoughts and wishes for the young lady and her family. Hope she has a fast and safe recovery.

mlyonsd
05-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Prayers for her and your family.

Iowanian
05-30-2009, 09:36 AM
http://jaredude.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/churchlady.jpg

Lets see....who could it be?
Take away her Oigi board.

Enough with the sport. Hopefully they'll find a simple solution for a simple problem.

Al Czervik
05-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Prayers to your SIL and the families....

Here's to a rapid recovery with no damage....

Dante84
05-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Let's hope they just load her up with extreme antibiotics and it clears the infection right up.

Meningitis is something that works VERY rapidly, and it sounds like if thats what it is, you all were on top of it and got her in there quick. I am sure the medical staff knows what they are doing and will take good care of her, regardless of what it is.

Good Luck!

KcFanInGA
05-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Be praying for you guys...hope things start looking up soon.

ModSocks
05-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Thank you all for all of your good wishes.

We are waiting for the final results from the doctors. We need to know if its traditional meningitis or an infection in the cerebral fluid. They are doing a psych evaluation on her right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
05-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Thank you all for all of your good wishes.

We are waiting for the final results from the doctors. We need to know if its traditional meningitis or an infection in the cerebral fluid. They are doing a psych evaluation on her right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tell them to hurry the fuck up. I think either one of those could have adverse effects on brain function. (I'm no doctor though).

ModSocks
05-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Tell them to hurry the fuck up. I think either one of those could have adverse effects on brain function. (I'm no doctor though).

I'm about to head over to the hospital and be with her so my fiance and her mom can go home and shower, etc. Ima be all over there MD asses. I think your right. It took themm 6 hrs to run a test they claimed would only take 45 mins.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
05-30-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm about to head over to the hospital and be with her so my fiance and her mom can go home and shower, etc. Ima be all over there MD asses. I think your right. It took themm 6 hrs to run a test they claimed would only take 45 mins.
Posted via Mobile Device

Don't get too fiesty with them, but you (the family) has a right to know what is going on. Even if it is a mistake on their part.

Direct questions are OK. Make sure you get all the info you need.

Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Kotter
05-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Best wishes. Thoughts and prayers your way.

SCChief
05-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Prayers and best wishes headed your way.

Cannibal
05-30-2009, 12:14 PM
My mother had schitzoprenia and my older brother currently has it. Runs in the family I guess :)

My brother has to get weekly shots in the ass for it.

Good luck to you, your sister and your family.

Mr. Kotter
05-30-2009, 12:38 PM
My mother had schitzoprenia and my older brother currently has it. Runs in the family I guess :)

Well, that explains a lot.

:)

R&GHomer
05-30-2009, 12:41 PM
Sorry to hear that man. Prayers out to your sister and family.

wazu
05-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe I shouldn't be, but I'm actually relieved to hear this. I was agreeing that it sounded a lot like Schizophrenia. Hopefully an infection can be cured and life returned to normal. Sending prayers her way.

Cannibal
05-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Well, that explains a lot.

:)

I knew that was coming as I typed it :D

Buehler445
05-30-2009, 01:05 PM
I knew that was coming as I typed it :D

I'm sure it isn't over. Duck and cover dude.
Posted via Mobile Device

bowener
05-30-2009, 01:11 PM
My 16 year old sister in law has been acting very strange these past 48 hrs. She has been haullucinating, claiming her family and friends are conspiring against her, saying the devil is after her brothers new born baby and she can't carry a coherent conversation anymore.

The doctors are testing her for meningitis (sp?). Her urine test came back negative for any drugs.we don't know what it is yet.

She's an intelligent, straight A student and overall good person, especially compared most 16 year olds these days.

The thought that her brain damage could be permanant is devastating. She has a promising future, and this would be...I don't have words for it.

Posted via Mobile Device

I havent read through the rest of this thread, yet. Sorry to hear about this man, best of wishes for her health.

If she were a 16 y/o white male I would say keep an eye out for Schizophrenia or Dissociative Identity Disorder, much more common in 16-18 y/o white males than any other demographic, hell Im not even sure there really is another demographic, but that is typically when schiz. begins.

Edit: This sounds eerily close to Schizophrenia, especially the incoherent sentences and paranoia.

Cannibal
05-30-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm sure it isn't over. Duck and cover dude.
Posted via Mobile Device

Seriously though. I hope like hell my other bro and sister and me don't end up with it. My older bro has some strange things happen in his mind when off of his meds.

Reaper16
05-30-2009, 01:39 PM
:(
This made me so sad. I hope for the best.

Frazod
05-30-2009, 01:40 PM
That sounds awful. I hope she pulls through okay.

Lzen
05-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Prayers for your SIL and your family.

patteeu
05-30-2009, 01:49 PM
I hope all ends well. Good luck to the girl.

Fat Elvis
05-30-2009, 02:26 PM
I havent read through the rest of this thread, yet. Sorry to hear about this man, best of wishes for her health.

If she were a 16 y/o white male I would say keep an eye out for Schizophrenia or Dissociative Identity Disorder, much more common in 16-18 y/o white males than any other demographic, hell Im not even sure there really is another demographic, but that is typically when schiz. begins.

Edit: This sounds eerily close to Schizophrenia, especially the incoherent sentences and paranoia.

Not really, the disorders you are talking about usually don't have the sudden onset of symptoms that Detoxing seemed to indicate. It is usually a much more gradual process.

Either way, good luck to Detoxing and the families involved.

Mizzou_8541
05-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Very sorry to hear...prayers coming your way.

KC native
05-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Not really, the disorders you are talking about usually don't have the sudden onset of symptoms that Detoxing seemed to indicate. It is usually a much more gradual process.

Either way, good luck to Detoxing and the families involved.

Schizophrenia can appear to come on suddenly because many people miss the warning signs. I have two cousins that are schizophrenic (and I suspect my mother in law to be an undiagnosed schizo). My male cousin that is schizophrenic has his symptoms gradually appear over the course of about 5 years until his parents couldn't take it any more and committed him and that's when they found out. My female cousin that is schizophrenic just had a breakdown after her second kid and it was liking driving into a wall. She went from being a somewhat normal (her mom is a c unt and fucked her up as a child) mother to raving fvcking lunatic in about 6 months. She accused all the male members of our family of molesting her then she started to write biblical scripture on the wall above her children's beds so she could keep them demons out and claimed the devil and god both talked to her. So now she won't talk to our family at all and doesn't want her kids to see her parents or anyone in our family (which is fucked bc my family is extremely supportive and caring for everyone including the perennial fvck ups). What's really crazy is she married one of my best friends from HS and I told him that he shouldn't be leaving his kids unattended with her because she was sounding like that Andrea Yates psycho that drowned her kids. To this day he hasn't done anything about it (despite them almost divorcing bc of her illness). I will give him credit though because he will take the kids to our family get togethers.

The MIL was fine until my wifey was about 9. Her marriage wasn't a good one because FIL worked and is completely detached from reality (he's old money as they say). One day, she rolls over in bed and tells him she wants a divorce. After they divorced she went through a phase where she believed she was an alien and then it was onto new age crystal crap. During all of this conversion she abandoned her kids 3 times and refused to deal with any "negative energy" because it would pollute her aura.

So, it can appear to come on suddenly or can come on suddenly. A lot of times these people know something isn't right with them but they are very good at covering up their symptoms until they are full blown and can't cover them up anymore.

bevischief
05-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Sorry to hear and hope for the best

Valiant
05-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

That is good.. I was going to say.. Maybe what she is seeing and saying is true..

ModSocks
05-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Still at the hospital with no new progress. The doctor claims he still isn't exactly sure what it is, but is leaning towards some sort of infection.

This is so hard. Right now I'm the only one she trusts. She doesn't trust the doctors either. She's still nowhere close to being herself.I'm sure she will be alright, I just pray there is nothing permanent occuring.
Posted via Mobile Device

JohnnyV13
05-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Detox, if this is a persistent problem that your doctors cannot diagnose, the best nuerologist I know of is Dr. Martin Samuels from Harvard.

Samuels is not a researcher, he's a star professor at Harvard Medical School whose focus is teaching. He is, of course, abrest of almost every new development in his field, which might be exactly what you need if you sister's case proves to be difficult to diagnose.

He's also a charismatic speaker who is a gifted communicator.

talastan
05-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Detox, prayers and may God's healing hand take care of her.

Rain Man
05-30-2009, 05:51 PM

Hopefully that's not what it is, but my sister-in-law went from normal and high-achieving to paranoid schizophrenic apparently sometime during college. I didn't know her at the time, but it sounds like it just started happening when she was 18 or 19. It's a tough situation.

ModSocks
05-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Thank you all for your support. It really does help a ton. She asked me to help her figure out what was a lie and what wasn't. She's so confused. She's afraid the doctors are conspiring against her.

Then she asked me if she was going to die. I pinky promised her that she would be fine.

I KNOW she is going to be ok, but this is the hardest thing I ever dealt with.
Posted via Mobile Device

Coach
05-30-2009, 08:48 PM
I hope for the best.

MIAdragon
05-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Hang in there buddy.

Rain Man
05-30-2009, 08:52 PM
She hasn't been in the tropics recently, has she? Stupid question, but I read many years ago about an assistant city or county attorney in Tucson who got a brain parasite in central America that caused odd behavior.

ModSocks
05-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Hang in there buddy.

Thanks man. I just made it home from the hospital. My fiance and the rest of her family are taking care of her right now. Having something like this happen to someone like her is just cruel.

I'm typicaly an emotional hard ass, but this situation has me up in knots. I can't wait till she pulls through.
Posted via Mobile Device

ModSocks
05-30-2009, 08:59 PM
She hasn't been in the tropics recently, has she? Stupid question, but I read many years ago about an assistant city or county attorney in Tucson who got a brain parasite in central America that caused odd behavior.

Nope. Just happened out of the blue. The day before this happened we were all sitting around having a good time. The very next day, she calls us making absolutely no sense
Posted via Mobile Device

RedDread
05-30-2009, 09:29 PM

Took me a bit but I found what you were talking about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naegleria_fowleri

Phobia
05-30-2009, 10:02 PM
My brother has to get weekly shots in the ass for it.

Hear that condition runs in the family too.

Tylerthigpen!1!
05-31-2009, 12:22 AM
prayers are headed her way

Cannibal
05-31-2009, 12:36 PM
Hear that condition runs in the family too.

ROFL F U

StcChief
05-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Prayers for you and your family.

Stewie
05-31-2009, 01:55 PM
Prayers your way.

She's too young for it to be schizophrenia. Women tend to that disorder in their late 20s, but there are always exceptions. The more logical diagnosis is that it's a localized infection and is treatable.

Godspeed.

ModSocks
05-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Good news. She's almost through it. We visited her this morning and she is back to her old self again. She lapses every once in awhile, but for the most part is back to normal. She will stay hospitalized for the next few days so they can monitor her condition and get all the test results back.

Its such a trip the way an infection can affect the brain like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

morphius
05-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Good news. She's almost through it. We visited her this morning and she is back to her old self again. She lapses every once in awhile, but for the most part is back to normal. She will stay hospitalized for the next few days so they can monitor her condition and get all the test results back.

Posted via Mobile Device
Thats great news!

mikey23545
05-31-2009, 04:27 PM
Excellent news!

Iowanian
05-31-2009, 04:34 PM
Now that she's doing better, I'm tempted to link a Buck Cherry or Patsy Cline song.....

Skip Towne
05-31-2009, 04:54 PM
Glad to hear it.

Lzen
05-31-2009, 05:19 PM
Good to hear that she is doing better. What, if I may ask, exactly was causing the problems? If this was already covered in this thread, my apologies.

kc rush
05-31-2009, 05:46 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Great news. Good wishes for continued recovery.

ModSocks
05-31-2009, 06:10 PM
Good to hear that she is doing better. What, if I may ask, exactly was causing the problems? If this was already covered in this thread, my apologies.

It could be meningitis, we don't know for sure. We do know that it was some sort of infection either on her brain or in her cerebral fluid.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hydrae
05-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Excellent!

Al Czervik
05-31-2009, 08:38 PM
Great news Detox.....

Phobia
05-31-2009, 09:35 PM
You don't know how lucky she is. My brother's daughter is a few months younger than my 6 YO. She had a brain infection 2 years ago which left permanent damage. She has vision problems which can never be fixed because it has nothing to do with optics, it's in her brain.

But on the positive side, she's doing 1000x better than the doctors predicted or anybody ever expected. She's also a gorgeous young girl. To see her interact with all the other kids, you'd never know her disability.

Dylan
05-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Prayers & best wishes ~

the Talking Can
06-01-2009, 06:44 AM
freakin a man...glad there is a positive outcome...

EyePod
06-01-2009, 10:08 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

This sounds like my girlfriends mother. She's crazy nuts now, and she does the same thing. The doctor swears that she's bipolar, but he's a complete moron, but we can't get the woman to go for a 2nd opinion. This kind of shit sucks a lot, cause they swear that they're really the target of people, when everyone knows that it's not true. Good luck.

Chaunceythe3rd
06-01-2009, 01:15 PM
This sounds like my girlfriends mother. She's crazy nuts now, and she does the same thing. The doctor swears that she's bipolar, but he's a complete moron, but we can't get the woman to go for a 2nd opinion. This kind of shit sucks a lot, cause they swear that they're really the target of people, when everyone knows that it's not true. Good luck.

They need lithium.

ROYC75
06-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Sad news, but sounds like some good news , hope all goes well on her recovery.

Prayers and thoughts your way .

mcan
06-01-2009, 11:04 PM
This might be a total non sequitur, but have you had anybody look at her teeth, or sinuses? Infections there can cause pressure on the brain and make things VERY disorienting and confusing.

My friend Jesse went to several doctors for years to get rid of headaches and eventually they told him they had to do brain surgery to get rid of some abnormal growth. After surgery and recovery, which was long and brutal and expensive, he still had headaches...

Then he went to a dentist to get a routine cleaning, and told him about his medical history. The dentist pulled his wisdom teeth and the headaches went away.

Anyway, I am really pulling for this girl. Here's hoping that the doctors find whatever the problem is for sure, and that you ZAP it for good.

patteeu
06-02-2009, 05:16 AM
This might be a total non sequitur, but have you had anybody look at her teeth, or sinuses? Infections there can cause pressure on the brain and make things VERY disorienting and confusing.

My friend Jesse went to several doctors for years to get rid of headaches and eventually they told him they had to do brain surgery to get rid of some abnormal growth. After surgery and recovery, which was long and brutal and expensive, he still had headaches...

Then he went to a dentist to get a routine cleaning, and told him about his medical history. The dentist pulled his wisdom teeth and the headaches went away.

Anyway, I am really pulling for this girl. Here's hoping that the doctors find whatever the problem is for sure, and that you ZAP it for good.

Wow. That was a rough misdiagnosis for Jesse.

Chazno
06-02-2009, 07:45 AM
The dentist pulled his wisdom teeth and the headaches went away.

Same thing happened with my wife. She was taking Imitrex like almost daily before.

MIAdragon
06-03-2009, 07:26 PM
bump any updates?