PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Directv users: help me before I kill someone

ChiefsFanatic
05-31-2009, 05:36 PM
We recently got a new receiver. It is the DVR - R15-100. It replaced an old Hughes DVR that went bad. The old DVR was a Tivo unit.

The new receiver is supposed to have two tuners, just like my previous unit. It even says so on the website.

I can't figure out how to pause one tuner, and switch to the other tuner. I called directv, and they told me that it was not possible. I said according to their website, it is. They said that you have to record one show, and then switch to the other tuner.

I explained that on my previous unit that I was able to pause each tuner for up to 30 minutes. Again they told me that I had to record one show, and watch the other.

I said fine, then once a show is recording, how do I switch to the free tuner? They told me to "hit record and figure it out."

Let me repeat that. They told me "TO HIT RECORD AND FIGURE IT OUT."

That is some fine customer service. So, before I drive to wherever the F**K these people are, could anyone please tell me how to switch between tuners on this remote? http://www.technologyconnectiononline.com/catalog/RC64.jpg

If it is simple, and I am just an idiot, I can accept that. But, please, someone explain it to me. I want my old Tivo unit back so badly, I may just have to buy one on eBay or craigslist.

Ultra Peanut
05-31-2009, 05:38 PM
The one fatal flaw of DirecTV DVRs is their lack of dual live buffers.

What that basically means is that you have to hit record and pause, then turn it to whatever other channel you want to watch, if you want the same kind of functionality.

It was a big adjustment, but the DLBs are the only thing I really miss after upgrading to an HD-DVR. Thankfully, DTV appears to be working on DLBs for wide release sometime later this summer.

Baby Lee
05-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Dish has a 'swap' button that does this.

Looks like Direct uses the down button for that function.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/archive/index.php/t-306705.html - quick google hit.

ChiefsFanatic
05-31-2009, 05:41 PM
The one fatal flaw of DirecTV DVRs is their lack of dual-live buffers.

What that basically means is that you have to hit record and pause, then turn it to whatever other channel you want to watch if you want the same kind of functionality.

Ok, then how do I switch? Do I just have to go into the whats recording list? Will the other channel stay paused?

Ultra Peanut
05-31-2009, 05:45 PM
To switch channels, just press the channel up button or enter the number or however else you want to get there, and then press "previous" to go back once you want to return.

You have to record the other channel too if you want to keep pausing and flipping between two channels.

Mr. Krab
05-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Have you tried the Active button yet? My Tivo button just has one button that switches back and forth between tuners.

meStevo
05-31-2009, 07:04 PM
Have you tried the Active button yet? My Tivo button just has one button that switches back and forth between tuners.

Right, but TiVo is always recording the two channels you are tuned in to. On the DirecTV DVRs the only way to have 2 live buffers is if you are recording both of those programs, otherwise switching between 2 channels will more or less only use 1 tuner.

BigMeatballDave
06-01-2009, 02:02 PM
Yeah, that was a great function on the Tivo. These new DTV DVRs suck balls.

ModSocks
06-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah, that was a great function on the Tivo. These new DTV DVRs suck balls.

That's why when i re-ordered Direct TV service, i told them to keep there in House DVR and i'll just use my old TIVO box. I also used the Cox DVR by scientific Atlanta, and god, that thing was a POS. TIVO FTW

Frosty
06-01-2009, 02:25 PM
The one fatal flaw of DirecTV DVRs is their lack of dual live buffers.

What that basically means is that you have to hit record and pause, then turn it to whatever other channel you want to watch, if you want the same kind of functionality.

It was a big adjustment, but the DLBs are the only thing I really miss after upgrading to an HD-DVR. Thankfully, DTV appears to be working on DLBs for wide release sometime later this summer.

That's been a deal breaker for me to upgrade. I am hoping my old TiVo holds out until the new DirecTiVos are reading this winter.

Ultra Peanut
06-01-2009, 02:34 PM
It's honestly worth it for the HD, but I was reallllly reluctant to let my TiVo go.

I'm totally used to it now, though hopefully the update to add DLBs comes this summer because then I'd basically be satisfied.

RippedmyFlesh
06-01-2009, 06:38 PM
I HAVE to have directTV because I am In Ny.
Kc chiefs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the rest of television combined.
dtv is about $5 per extra room. Time warner in my area is 45-50 for each additional room. I couldn't afford 4 tv's on tw on direct tv I can.
As far as the original post I just record one station then flip to next station..watch and hit rec before I go back to original station.
dtv actually had some sort of policy a while back wherein the 1st month or 2 you would only get 1 feed at first then the dual feed came after that,
the installer bypassed that for me so it "worked" right away.