PDA

View Full Version : Music ben folds

Jilly
05-31-2009, 08:54 PM
Besides the guy who fell on me and the kid who nearly puked on me... Great freaking concert last night!! I absolutely love cross roads as a concert venue..

Silock
05-31-2009, 11:20 PM
...is amazing.

Rain Man
05-31-2009, 11:43 PM
I'm a huge Ben Folds fan. "Landed" is awesome. My wife, whose musical tastes are somewhat divergent from mine once you get past Springsteen, walked into the room one time while that song was playing, stopped, and said, "Wow. That's really good. Who is that?"

I'm also a huge fan of the "Fred Jones" song, "Jesusland", "Army", and many others. The guy's just flat-out good. I'd like to go see him in concert sometime.

Someone around here went to junior high with Ben. Headsnap? Zedebee? Can't remember who.

MoreLemonPledge
06-01-2009, 04:54 AM
Love me some Ben Folds.

Fairplay
06-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Great band. Cool songs. Thumbs up.

|Zach|
06-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Big Ben Folds fan, have been since the Ben Fold Five days...but I gotta say the most recent album is a complete dud. I mean wow, its bad. 2 maybe 3 decent songs.

Silock
06-01-2009, 11:27 AM
TOTALLY disagree. There are a lot of good songs on the new album.

B-b-b-b-benny hit his head -- Who doesn't love a song about the time Ben Folds fell off the stage and had a concussion in Tokyo? That's hilarious.

Bitch Went Nuts -- Best anti-chick song since Song for the Dumped

Cologne -- insanely great chord progression

Effington -- lolz

You Don't Know Me -- Great Regina Spektor duo

Maybe give it a few more listens :shrug:

|Zach|
06-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Again, I am a long time Ben Folds fan but his act is kind of wearing on me. This Pitchfork review sums my thoughts up pretty well.

Ben Folds has long attempted to mix unequal parts humor and romanticism. Indeed, sap and smarm have been the principal currencies of America's leading piano wise guy, at least since the pinnacle of Ben Folds Five's commercial success in 1998. Whatever and Ever Amen, the band's best-selling second album, broke Folds into the mainstream through "Brick", a tender, regretful ballad about a girlfriend's abortion. Of course, the album's next song and final single, the infamous "Song for the Dumped", slammed open, "So you wanted to take a break? Slow it down some and have some space? Well **** you, too." Likewise, on Folds' solo debut, 2001's Rockin' the Suburbs, a song about a woman's dependence on others-- right up to the pallbearers carrying her to her grave-- fails before a number about doing acid and climbing trees and another about Michael Jackson, Quiet Riot, and "being male, middle-class, and white."

On Way to Normal, Folds' third solo studio LP since Ben Folds Five broke up in 2000, he strives for that same imbalance and juxtaposition, pitting laments about missed opportunities with old lovers and failed communication in otherwise good relationships against quips about slashed basketballs and snide yuppies. This time, though, Folds' humor gets the best of his feelings. He does the whiny white boy thing he's always done yet again. It's just that, as he and we age, that coy condescension bullshit gets less charming than wearisome. On Way to Normal, Folds seems out for everybody: the baristas who only give him free coffee because he's rich, the rich who snub the struggling baristas, the male dog who ran away from him, the female dog who flipped out on the little guy. This go around, the humor only works when Folds directs his derision at himself, namely on the fuzz-bass opener, "Hiroshima (B B B Benny Hit His Head)". As for the romance, the love tracks here are surprisingly impersonal and repetitive for Folds, who married his fourth wife between this album and the last. The old allure has soured or staled.

Indeed, all too often, the jokes unintentionally fall against Folds here. He issues his grievances with a smart-ass certainty, rarely showing empathy or compassion for his characters or admitting that maybe it's his perspective that's skewed. He seems less interested in understanding others than denouncing them. In the process, he sounds silly, sad, and incredibly smug. He devotes an entire track to scoffing at unconventional healers (the psychic, acupuncturist, and chiropractor) before taking a stab at the yuppy cliques that use them one track later (the Anthropologie chain, coffee drinkers, yoga addicts: all on notice).

On "Brainwascht", Folds rails against the former friend of an ex-lover who's written an ostensibly shitty one-sided pop song about Folds' faults as a lover. Coupled with "Bitch Went Nuts", Folds sounds like the sort of mate who's convinced he's never been wrong. The track opens with an unfortunate parody of The Karate Kid's Mr. Miyagi detailing the reasons relationships fail. Apparently, women dump guys for trivial stuff. He's a bad **** or a simple douche. Men dump women, though, because, as Folds exclaims, they're crazy: "The bitch went nuts/ She photoshopped my face/ On to every boy who'd done her wrong." "Errant Dog", which calls a runaway male dog a bitch as Folds indulges his nasty habit of cussing when he has nothing better to do, makes the pianist sound like a dog beater, a litigious whiner, and mostly an asshole. Sure, maybe it's a joke, but-- like much of Way to Normal-- it's just not funny.

In all fairness, Folds uses the errant dog simile to describe himself in "You Don't Know Me", the album's single and best song thanks in no small part to Regina Spektor's waifish vocal lines. That's only reflective of Way to Normal's other missed opportunities, though. What's most unfortunate about the male, upper-class, and white content of Way to Normal is that it's tied to some of Folds' strongest post-Five compositions yet. Aside from the spoken-word intro, "Bitch Went Nuts" is a musical gem, its clangorous piano bounding headlong into a perfect instrumental break. Too bad it's almost impossible to overlook the song's lyrics. Similarly, "Cologne" is a gorgeous love song with Reinhold Messner-style strings-- at least until Folds decides to mention the astronaut who drove to Florida wearing diapers. Folds has always been at his best telling stories in his own smirking way. On Way to Normal, the stories sort of make you wish he'd see a shrink already.

— Grayson Currin, October 28, 2008

|Zach|
06-01-2009, 11:45 AM
TOTALLY disagree. There are a lot of good songs on the new album.

B-b-b-b-benny hit his head -- Who doesn't love a song about the time Ben Folds fell off the stage and had a concussion in Tokyo? That's hilarious.

Bitch Went Nuts -- Best anti-chick song since Song for the Dumped

Cologne -- insanely great chord progression

Effington -- lolz

You Don't Know Me -- Great Regina Spektor duo

Maybe give it a few more listens :shrug:

B-B-B-B - Decent, grew on me.

Bitch went nuts - Pretentious. Felt more like a Dennis Miller rant.

Cologne - Music is beautiful...just amazing. Lyrics totally ruin it.

You Don't Know Me - Like it a lot.

Effington - You really liked it?

Brainwachst - Pretty good.

Demonpenz
06-01-2009, 12:07 PM
I don't know if regina and folds were in the same room at the time, but they nailed an awkward nerdy part of life in that last part of the song that cracks me up

say it...what?
what i'm saying is...what?

|Zach|
06-01-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't know if regina and folds were in the same room at the time, but they nailed an awkward nerdy part of life in that last part of the song that cracks me up

say it...what?
what i'm saying is...what?

Def a cool moment.

Archie F. Swin
06-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Saw him in Dallas in Nov. Good stuff . I think "Rockin' the Suburbs" is one of the best albums of the last 20 years. Great piano player (to my drummer ears)

Demonpenz
06-01-2009, 01:41 PM
to anyone who ever jams out, i always find it funny the videos for ben folds shows the drums like set up in a hallway or a living room. Always fun for my eyes to see because I know I have set my (childs edition) in some strange places with casio keyboard style people playing along

DaFace
06-02-2009, 09:39 PM
I really enjoy his recent a cappella album. Takes me back to the good ol' college days.

DaFace
10-02-2010, 01:51 PM
The wife and I are headed to see Ben in concert tonight with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra. I'm excited and intrigued to see WTF this concert will be like. I've never worn a tie to a pop concert before...

Red Brooklyn
10-02-2010, 02:13 PM
The new album is rocking my face off right now. Brilliant.

Fish
10-02-2010, 08:36 PM
2 of my coworkers will be interviewing Ben Folds in the next couple weeks. One is next Wednesday. Part of the Lonely Interviews thing he's doing. I actually got to submit some questions that I wanted asked.

You can listen to them the following 2 Wednesdays at 5:30 on Ben Folds' website.

Pretty cool.

DJay23
10-02-2010, 08:50 PM
The wife and I are headed to see Ben in concert tonight with the Colorado Symphony Orchestra. I'm excited and intrigued to see WTF this concert will be like. I've never worn a tie to a pop concert before...

I've seen him twice in concert. Once solo, once with a band. He puts on an entertaining show either way. Lots of crowd participation and interaction, he likes to play around with songs. Very talented.

CosmicPal
10-02-2010, 09:16 PM
I was very fortunate enough to see him perform live at The Hurricane in Westport when he released his first album. He was virtually unknown then, so it was pretty cool to be standing just a few feet from him. The thing I remember most about it, is that he had that enormous black grand piano and it nearly took up the entire stage at The Hurricane. He band members were crunched together behind him, barely able to move.

But it was something else to hear him banging on that gigantic piano- what delirious sounds that thing made.

Fish
10-02-2010, 09:27 PM
I saw him quite a few times in the late 90's in Lawrence and KC. Started with a friend dragging me to a concert at the Bottleneck in Lawrence. I had no idea who he was or what type of music he sang when I went. I was blown away and started looking for more shows.

This is the song that hooked me....

<embed flashvars="playerVars=showStats=yes|autoPlay=no|videoTitle=Ben Folds Five - Underground (Official Music Video)" src="http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/sy-18502710/ben_folds_five_underground_official_music_video.swf" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" name="Metacafe_sy-18502710" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="272" width="440">
Ben Folds Five - Underground (Official Music Video) (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/sy-18502710/ben_folds_five_underground_official_music_video/). Watch more top selected videos about: Ben Folds Five (http://www.metacafe.com/topics/Ben_Folds_Five/)

DaFace
10-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Well, that was pretty damn cool. Ben is a fantastic performer and brings a TON of energy to the stage. I'm sure that is the same as most of his "regular" concerts. It was really cool to hear his songs with the symphony behind him. You can really tell how great of a true musician he is. Anyway, if any of you get the opportunity (assuming you like his music in the first place), do it. It's worth it.

KCinNY
10-03-2010, 10:37 AM
His version of "Bitches Ain't Shit" is awesome.

"The Luckiest" is one of the most sincere love songs I've ever heard.

DJay23
10-03-2010, 10:40 AM
His version of "Bitches Ain't Shit" is awesome.

I complete agree with all of this.

Shogun
10-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Big Ben Folds fan, have been since the Ben Fold Five days...but I gotta say the most recent album is a complete dud. I mean wow, its bad. 2 maybe 3 decent songs.

Ben Folds Five was the best

Dante84
10-03-2010, 01:06 PM
I've seen him 10 times.

My daughter's name will be Emaline, if and when.

Rain Man
10-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Well, that was pretty damn cool. Ben is a fantastic performer and brings a TON of energy to the stage. I'm sure that is the same as most of his "regular" concerts. It was really cool to hear his songs with the symphony behind him. You can really tell how great of a true musician he is. Anyway, if any of you get the opportunity (assuming you like his music in the first place), do it. It's worth it.

Yeah, pretty good. Where did you end up sitting? I was behind the orchestra, so close that I practically got the spit from the French Horn section on me.

DaFace
10-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Yeah, pretty good. Where did you end up sitting? I was behind the orchestra, so close that I practically got the spit from the French Horn section on me.

We were basically straight across from you, toward the back of the orchestra. I know exactly where you were - it was pretty easy to recognize the orange pants as you made your way down to your seat. :)

mikeyis4dcats.
10-03-2010, 08:05 PM

I picked that for my wife and I to dance to at our wedding.

Omaha
10-05-2010, 11:23 AM
The new album is rocking my face off right now. Brilliant.

Good to hear. I don't have it yet. He's one of my favorites.

Red Brooklyn
10-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Good to hear. I don't have it yet. He's one of my favorites.

I highly recommend it. Hornby adds a new layer to the songwriting that really, really works. Not that Ben is a poor lyricist - because he isn't. Far from. But Hornby takes it up a notch. Ben's strengths have always been composition and melody, and he appears to be in top form here. Hornby's lyrics challange Ben's compositions. It's wondeful.

I love when Ben collaborates with other artists. The work he did with Shatner is also really outstanding.