PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Reputable Landscaper\Nursery???

petegz28
06-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Ok well I had some landscaping done around my deck last summer. Just a row of what I think they call 'Kansas Rock' sort of like flagstone looking stuff, and filled in with river rock and some plants Well, several of the plants have died. The warranty on them is a year but the current landscaping company I use is not cooperating. I called them in early April about some boxwoods that died. It took me 4 calls and threatening to not use them again to get the guy to come out. Unfortunatly the gal I used to deal with there has left the company. Anyhow the guy finally came out and said they died because the drainage was bad but he would replace them. I suggested replacing them with something else (at my cost) that had a deepr root system than boxwoods. He said no and that he would plant them "higher". Ok well that was in April. We just hit June and I have not heard 1 word from them. Called them again this morning to follow up and let him know that 2 of the 4 knockout roses plants are dying as well, and I am waiting on a call I am sure will not be returned timely.

So that being said, regardless if they call or not I am done with this company. Does anyone know of a good company? Preferably one that will come out and look at the landscape to give advice on what to plant and such?

DeezNutz
06-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Not really a nursery, but the Grass Pad has good products.

The most reliable landscaper would have to be yourself. Many posters here would probably be able to give you a lot of helpful advice about what to plant and where.

petegz28
06-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Not really a nursery, but the Grass Pad has good products.

The most reliable landscaper would have to be yourself. Many posters here would probably be able to give you a lot of helpful advice about what to plant and where.

Well, I like the knockout roses, I have 2 of 4 plants of them that are doing great. I sprayed for bugs this morning as I nioticed a bunch of webs and such under the plants so I don't know if they were getting eaten or what? I don't want to have to dig up otherwise healthy plants if I don't have too.

DeezNutz
06-01-2009, 08:23 AM
Well, I like the knockout roses, I have 2 of 4 plants of them that are doing great. I sprayed for bugs this morning as I nioticed a bunch of webs and such under the plants so I don't know if they were getting eaten or what? I don't want to have to dig up otherwise healthy plants if I don't have too.

What did you spray with?

petegz28
06-01-2009, 08:24 AM
What did you spray with?

Sevin

petegz28
06-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Also I sprayed a good dose of Earth Right to help with the drainage.

DeezNutz
06-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Sevin

That should work well.

The over-the-counter weed spray and such is garbage (Weed B Gone and shit) but sevin should work fine. Multiple applications will likely be in order.

As long as the plants appear generally healthy, they're absolutely fine.

petegz28
06-01-2009, 08:39 AM
That should work well.

The over-the-counter weed spray and such is garbage (Weed B Gone and shit) but sevin should work fine. Multiple applications will likely be in order.

As long as the plants appear generally healthy, they're absolutely fine.

Well, the 2 rose plants in question did bloom but now are dying. I read that the roots may have died over the winter and the blooms came from water that was stored in the canes. And now that it is burned off it is dying. I know the draninge there is bad as well. When I scraped the rocks back and dug a little witht he hand trowl I was getting water seeping to the top. So I then think, maybe the ground was so saturated it killed it. Then I read about the mites and bugs and as I was spraying the Earth Right I noticed webs all over the rocks underneath several of the plants. Thus the bug spray. I have pruned back all the deadheads and clipped any cane that was 100% brown. IF it had any green on it at all I left it and just pruned it back.

The boxwoods on the other hand I am pretty sure 2 were saturated cause when he came out in April he took his foot and pressed down on the rocks by the plant and you could see water come seeping out. But the worst on is still sprouting new growth in some areas.

all these plants were put in in mid-august last year so I don't think they got a real good amount of time to ge their roots established before the cold hit.

DeezNutz
06-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Well, the 2 rose plants in question did bloom but now are dying. I read that the roots may have died over the winter and the blooms came from water that was stored in the canes. And now that it is burned off it is dying. I know the draninge there is bad as well. When I scraped the rocks back and dug a little witht he hand trowl I was getting water seeping to the top. So I then think, maybe the ground was so saturated it killed it. Then I read about the mites and bugs and as I was spraying the Earth Right I noticed webs all over the rocks underneath several of the plants. Thus the bug spray. I have pruned back all the deadheads and clipped any cane that was 100% brown. IF it had any green on it at all I left it and just pruned it back.

The boxwoods on the other hand I am pretty sure 2 were saturated cause when he came out in April he took his foot and pressed down on the rocks by the plant and you could see water come seeping out. But the worst on is still sprouting new growth in some areas.

all these plants were put in in mid-august last year so I don't think they got a real good amount of time to ge their roots established before the cold hit.

Yeah, sounds like the things drowned. Spraying stuff to try to help drainage is probably pissing in the wind.

Is this on the North side of your house? Planted in a low lying area? Might need to plant something that can handle semi-moist to moist conditions.

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-01-2009, 08:55 AM
You might try this place.

www.Ineedalandscaperthatwontfuckme.com

Mojo Jojo
06-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Also I sprayed a good dose of Earth Right to help with the drainage.

I always use Earth Right when we plant. In fact last fall about 2 weeks before verti-cutting and seeding I put Earth Right over the whole yard. The seed came up great this spring. One other thing I use after planting is Mushroom Stuff. It really helps with root growth.

I may be tipping my age here, but I listen to Toby Tobin on Saturday mornings and have come away with a lot of great tips for the yard/garden.

petegz28
06-01-2009, 08:59 AM
Yeah, sounds like the things drowned. Spraying stuff to try to help drainage is probably pissing in the wind.

Is this on the North side of your house? Planted in a low lying area? Might need to plant something that can handle semi-moist to moist conditions.

Actually ont he southside. The funny thing is there are 2 plants in the same situation that are fine. 1 on each side of the deck...1 dying 1 doing great....2 in front of the deck...1 dying 1 doing great.

petegz28
06-01-2009, 09:01 AM
I always use Earth Right when we plant. In fact last fall about 2 weeks before verti-cutting and seeding I put Earth Right over the whole yard. The seed came up great this spring. One other thing I use after planting is Mushroom Stuff. It really helps with root growth.

I may be tipping my age here, but I listen to Toby Tobin on Saturday mornings and have come away with a lot of great tips for the yard/garden.

I bought some mushroom stuff but not sure if it will work on plants already in the ground for a year or if it is only for new planted plants?

Mojo Jojo
06-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Have you tried calling or going to the Kansas Extension Service? I've gone in there with plant samples or just pictures and they always have good tips/ideas. The staff are all Ag grads that specialize in Kansas planting and growing conditions.

MOhillbilly
06-01-2009, 09:14 AM
pour abit of beer on them rose plants & see if they dont perk up abit. my grandma had 75 of them fuckers....

petegz28
06-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Have you tried calling or going to the Kansas Extension Service? I've gone in there with plant samples or just pictures and they always have good tips/ideas. The staff are all Ag grads that specialize in Kansas planting and growing conditions.

Hmmm, never heard of it. I will look into that.

petegz28
06-01-2009, 09:16 AM
pour abit of beer on them rose plants & see if they dont perk up abit. my grandma had 75 of them ****ers....

Are you fucking serious? Seriously?

Mojo Jojo
06-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Hmmm, never heard of it. I will look into that.

Here is the link. It's located in Olathe, and I have found it to be a source of info.

http://www.johnson.ksu.edu/DesktopDefault.aspx

petegz28
06-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Here is the link. It's located in Olathe, and I have found it to be a source of info.

http://www.johnson.ksu.edu/DesktopDefault.aspx

Did you call them before you went in?

Mojo Jojo
06-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Did you call them before you went in?

I have called with questions, but I've also just gone in. Since you have a very specific issue you may want to call and describe what is going on, and then they may have you come in with leaves/branches, photo's...whatever you have.

petegz28
06-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Also a question about the weed mat they used. I know they put it down to block out light so weeds cannot grow. But that also seems to me that if the light can't get there the sun cannot dry out the area around the plants. Thus preventing excess water from being absorbed by the sun. Any logic to that?

MOhillbilly
06-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Are you ****ing serious? Seriously?

serious about the beer or the 75 rose bushes? in any case yes to both. Along with that my grandpa had a 1 acre garden. you put in work at my place son.

petegz28
06-01-2009, 09:33 AM
serious about the beer or the 75 rose bushes? in any case yes to both. Along with that my grandpa had a 1 acre garden. you put in work at my place son.

I hav heard of using beer to kill slugs but that was it. Hmm..I might give this a try. Do you know what it is it is supposed to do? Or is it just one of those things like a posi-trac rearend where "it just works"?

Mr. Krab
06-01-2009, 09:37 AM
I've got a family member who has worked for Ryan Lawn and Tree a long time.

http://www.ryanlawn.com/

petegz28
06-01-2009, 09:41 AM
I've got a family member who has worked for Ryan Lawn and Tree a long time.

http://www.ryanlawn.com/

Do they deal with plants and such? OR do you know? I always saw them as more of a tree and lawn service.

MOhillbilly
06-01-2009, 09:42 AM
I hav heard of using beer to kill slugs but that was it. Hmm..I might give this a try. Do you know what it is it is supposed to do? Or is it just one of those things like a posi-trac rearend where "it just works"?

Something about the sugars in the beer.

Mr. Krab
06-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Do they deal with plants and such? OR do you know? I always saw them as more of a tree and lawn service.
I'm pretty sure they do a full lawnscaping service. I can ask him about anything specific if you want.

I think he does quite a bit of high limb work, trimming trees and stuff but he also has the stone outlined decorations with various wood chips too.

check this page out

http://www.ryanlawn.com/content/services-kc

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-01-2009, 10:45 AM
pour abit of beer on them rose plants & see if they dont perk up abit. my grandma had 75 of them fuckers....

That would be considered alcohol abuse !

Drink the beer and pee on them.

Alton deFlat
06-01-2009, 10:54 AM
You might give these guys a call. I've been to two of their nurseries, and they have a great selection. I think they provide the services you're needing. They have two locations near Olathe.

http://www.familytreenursery.com/

petegz28
06-01-2009, 12:29 PM
You might give these guys a call. I've been to two of their nurseries, and they have a great selection. I think they provide the services you're needing. They have two locations near Olathe.

http://www.familytreenursery.com/

Wow, this place said their landscaper charges $100 and hr. Screw that.

Alton deFlat
06-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Wow, this place said their landscaper charges $100 and hr. Screw that.

:eek: That is steep.

petegz28
06-01-2009, 12:54 PM
:eek: That is steep.

I've never had much of a greenthumb and any home project I undertake never comes out as planned. But I think I am going to have to break out the rake and shovel. This is when I regret getting rock instead of mulch. But oh well.

stlchiefs
06-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Try Tectonic: http://www.tectonic-la.com. The owner, Cole, is a professional landscape architect who left a prominent architecture firm to start his own business. I used to work for him on the side when he was just starting out. The guy is smart and does a great job.

Kyle DeLexus
06-01-2009, 04:37 PM
so your looking for a shrubbery? Ni

petegz28
06-01-2009, 06:57 PM
well, went out and dug one of the dead plants up and man about 6-8 inches deep the water just started pouring in. A lot of the roots were caked with wet clay. I'd say the drainage or lack thereof killed the damn things. Ugh....WTF can you do about that? Guess I will get some very water tolerant plants.