PDA

View Full Version : Misc Any GTO owners here?

BryanBusby
06-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Been looking at a 2004 Pontiac GTO with 45,000 miles that a dealer is selling for 12 grand. I'm really considering biting on it, but is there anything I should know that's problematic with them? Also yeah, I know they filed for bankruptcy.

DeezNutz
06-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Not going to get a good response about American made cars on this board, so be aware of this.

BryanBusby
06-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Not going to get a good response about American made cars on this board, so be aware of this.

I'll keep that in mind. Usually I'm not a fan of American cars either (especially GM), but I've kind of wanted one since they first relaunched...but they were outrageously expensive then. Now they seem decent in price.

joesomebody
06-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Go with a 1960's model instead.

Buehler445
06-01-2009, 07:06 PM
I want one.

But don't buy the blind GM hate. I've got a G6 and love the shit out of it.

Demonpenz
06-01-2009, 07:12 PM
people seem to think I need a GFY model I looked on the internet and can't find what that car looks like

Barret
06-01-2009, 07:18 PM
I am an owner of a 07 Mustang so I do like American cars and the Mustang hasn't let me down in the fun or looks department.

I really enjoy the older muscle cars and the GTO was a legend and was a sweet looking ride.

Unfortunately, I have seen the new version and it looks like ass. It looks like any other Pontiac car they have put out in the past 10 years.

Go to the Pontiac page and tell me any visual differences between their G5, G6 and G8? 2006 was the last model year of the GTO. I recommend what Joesombody said and go with a later model if you can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_GTO

If you are wanting a muscle car that at least takes some styling queues from its older brothers take a look at these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Challenger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camaro

Hope that helps

MIAdragon
06-01-2009, 07:23 PM
The car is really quick, rides nice and the interior is something you would find in a caddy. Im not a fan of the ext but the car is nice.

Marcellus
06-01-2009, 07:25 PM
YEa, they are quick and the interior is the shit. Exterior is so,so but with some wheels etc...they can look pretty cool. There is a slick black one here running around where I live.

trndobrd
06-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Been looking at a 2004 Pontiac GTO with 45,000 miles that a dealer is selling for 12 grand. I'm really considering biting on it, but is there anything I should know that's problematic with them? Also yeah, I know they filed for bankruptcy.

Here's one, the price is a little higher, but you probably aren't man enough to buy it anyway.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/1192335505.html

2004 GTO- Cammed-420RWHP - $15900 (Topeka)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to:sale-tcafr-1192335505@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-05-27, 8:04PM CDT

"OK, let me start off by saying this Pontiac is only available for purchase by the manliest of men (or women). My friend, if it was possible for a vehicle to sprout chest hair and a five o'clock shadow, this GTO would look like Tom Selleck. It is just that manly.

It was never intended to drive to the mall so you can pick up that adorable shirt at Abercrombie & Fitch that you had your eye on. It wasn't meant to transport you to yoga class or Linens & Things. No, that's what your Prius is for. If that's the kind of car you're looking for, then just do us all a favor and stop reading right now. I mean it. Just stop.

This car was engineered by roughneck, crocodile killing, dingo screwing, shrimp on the barbie Fosters drinking Aussies to serve the needs of the man that cheats death on a daily basis. They didn't even consider superfluous nancy boy amenities like navigation systems (real men don't get lost), heated leather seats (a real man doesn't let anything warm his butt), or On Star (real men don't even know what the hell On Star is).

No, this brute comes with the things us testosterone-fueled super action junkies need. It has a 410 RWHP engine to outrun the cops. It's got special blood/gore resistant upholstery. It even has a first-aid kit in the back. You know what the first aid kit has in it? A pint of whiskey, a stitch-your-own-wound kit and a hunk of leather to bite down on when you're operating on yourself. The GOAT also has a six speed transmission so if you're being chased by Libyan terrorists, you'll still be able to shoot your machine gun out the window and drive at the same time getting 23MPG. It's saved my bacon more than once.

It has room for you and the three hotties you picked up on the way to the gym to blast your pecs and hammer your glutes. There's a tow hitch to pull your 50 caliber anti-Taliban, self cooling machine gun. I also just put in a new windshield to replace the one that got shot out by Al Qaeda.

My price on this bad boy is an incredibly low $15,900, but I'll entertain reasonable offers. And by reasonable, I mean don't walk up and tell me you'll give me $5,000 for it. That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Hell yeah. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore.

There's only 59,000 miles on this four-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass. Trust me, it will outlive you and the offspring that will carry your name. It will live on as a monument to your machismo.

Now, go look in the mirror and tell me what you see. If it's a rugged, no holds barred, super brute he-man macho Chuck Norris stunt double, then contact me. I might be out hang-gliding or BASE jumping or just chilling with my ladies, but I'll get back to you. And when I do, we'll talk about a price over a nice glass of Schmidt while we listen to Johnny Cash.

To sweeten the deal a little, I'm throwing in this pair of MC Hammer pants for the man with rippling quads that can't fit into regular pants. Yeah, you heard me. FREE MC Hammer pants."

ModSocks
06-01-2009, 07:28 PM

Wow, that's a sweet deal. I haven't really heard anything bad about them from a reliability stand point. I've read that the seats are some of the best seats gm has ever come out with.

Don't let these people talk u out of it. Its a muscle car for people who don't feel the need to be noticed. Kudos to u. I'd take it in a heart beat, that's a smokin deal.

And if u are worried about the looks, there are body kits out there that make them look MEAN. I've seen some modified goats at sema and they looked wicked.
Posted via Mobile Device

Psyko Tek
06-01-2009, 07:34 PM
for the money
I suggest this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-Pontiac-389-GTO-Solid-Georgia-Car-PHS-Documented_W0QQitemZ200346174526QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item2ea590043e&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A1171|240%3A1318

ModSocks
06-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Here's one, the price is a little higher, but you probably aren't man enough to buy it anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"OK, let me start off by saying this Pontiac is only available for purchase by the manliest of men (or women). My friend, if it was possible for a vehicle to sprout chest hair and a five o'clock shadow, this GTO would look like Tom Selleck. It is just that manly.

It was never intended to drive to the mall so you can pick up that adorable shirt at Abercrombie & Fitch that you had your eye on. It wasn't meant to transport you to yoga class or Linens & Things. No, that's what your Prius is for. If that's the kind of car you're looking for, then just do us all a favor and stop reading right now. I mean it. Just stop.

This car was engineered by roughneck, crocodile killing, dingo screwing, shrimp on the barbie Fosters drinking Aussies to serve the needs of the man that cheats death on a daily basis. They didn't even consider superfluous nancy boy amenities like navigation systems (real men don't get lost), heated leather seats (a real man doesn't let anything warm his butt), or On Star (real men don't even know what the hell On Star is).

No, this brute comes with the things us testosterone-fueled super action junkies need. It has a 410 RWHP engine to outrun the cops. It's got special blood/gore resistant upholstery. It even has a first-aid kit in the back. You know what the first aid kit has in it? A pint of whiskey, a stitch-your-own-wound kit and a hunk of leather to bite down on when you're operating on yourself. The GOAT also has a six speed transmission so if you're being chased by Libyan terrorists, you'll still be able to shoot your machine gun out the window and drive at the same time getting 23MPG. It's saved my bacon more than once.

It has room for you and the three hotties you picked up on the way to the gym to blast your pecs and hammer your glutes. There's a tow hitch to pull your 50 caliber anti-Taliban, self cooling machine gun. I also just put in a new windshield to replace the one that got shot out by Al Qaeda.

My price on this bad boy is an incredibly low $15,900, but I'll entertain reasonable offers. And by reasonable, I mean don't walk up and tell me you'll give me $5,000 for it. That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab. Would it hurt? Hell yeah. Let's just say you won't be the prettiest guy at the Coldplay concert anymore.

There's only 59,000 miles on this four-wheeled hellcat from Planet Kickass. Trust me, it will outlive you and the offspring that will carry your name. It will live on as a monument to your machismo.

Now, go look in the mirror and tell me what you see. If it's a rugged, no holds barred, super brute he-man macho Chuck Norris stunt double, then contact me. I might be out hang-gliding or BASE jumping or just chilling with my ladies, but I'll get back to you. And when I do, we'll talk about a price over a nice glass of Schmidt while we listen to Johnny Cash.

To sweeten the deal a little, I'm throwing in this pair of MC Hammer pants for the man with rippling quads that can't fit into regular pants. Yeah, you heard me. FREE MC Hammer pants."

ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

Marcellus
06-01-2009, 07:38 PM
for the money
I suggest this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-Pontiac-389-GTO-Solid-Georgia-Car-PHS-Documented_W0QQitemZ200346174526QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item2ea590043e&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12|39%3A1|72%3A1171|240%3A1318

I love the old cars too but for $3000 more the new one doesn't need the work and would kill the old one in a race.Not the same style points but all the performance and luxury at a cheaper cost.

Depends on your mechanical ability and aptitude as well.

I'm not an old school hater either I am building a 65 Chevy II right now that I have way more money in than what they are asking for on the newer GTO's these days.

BryanBusby
06-01-2009, 07:52 PM
I am an owner of a 07 Mustang so I do like American cars and the Mustang hasn't let me down in the fun or looks department.

I really enjoy the older muscle cars and the GTO was a legend and was a sweet looking ride.

Unfortunately, I have seen the new version and it looks like ass. It looks like any other Pontiac car they have put out in the past 10 years.

Go to the Pontiac page and tell me any visual differences between their G5, G6 and G8? 2006 was the last model year of the GTO. I recommend what Joesombody said and go with a later model if you can.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_GTO

If you are wanting a muscle car that at least takes some styling queues from its older brothers take a look at these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Challenger
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mustang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camaro

Hope that helps

I'm kind of weird as I actually like the way the newer GTO's exteriors are styled. Not even knowing it's a GTO till you see the emblem is pretty awesome in my book. Something about being a discreet ass hauler interests me.

I don't hate fords at all or the newer Mustangs, it's just the type of Mustang I'd get would be completely out of my price range. :( I've been burned by Chrystler and their wonderful trannies too many times to make myself buy another and the new Camaros just look blah.

Hahahaha

Cannibal
06-01-2009, 07:56 PM
I love the old cars too but for $3000 more the new one doesn't need the work and would kill the old one in a race.Not the same style points but all the performance and luxury at a cheaper cost.

I'm not an old school hater either I am building a 65 Chevy II right now that I have way more money in than what they are asking for on the newer GTO's these days.

I agree with your assessment.

joemama
06-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Wait for an 05+ to come along. They have the 6.0 and the hood looks better in my opinion.

Psyko Tek
06-01-2009, 08:27 PM

you're right
but damn noythings hotter that a 65 goat

Skip Towne
06-01-2009, 08:29 PM
you're right

See my avatar. Low 10's

BryanBusby
06-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Wait for an 05+ to come along. They have the 6.0 and the hood looks better in my opinion.

Hmm. I'll keep this in mind.

Now a stupid question. If I were to buy this car, it'd likely become my daily driver. How much of a difference would I experience in a car like this in the snow, sleet, etc. with a decent pair of snow tires compared to a Front Wheel Drive car that had blah all seasons?

Tytanium
06-01-2009, 08:49 PM

The 04-06 GTOs are not American. They are rebadged Holden Monaros (Australia), which also happen to have the 5.7 or 6.0L Corvette motor/s in them.

I wasn't a fan of the looks to begin with either, but it's really grown on me. The stock wheels look muscley, the back seats aren't bad, the front seats are extremely comfortable, the driving position is great, the gearbox is sturdy and responsive, and is generally an all around great car. It might be a bit too easy to let your foot get into it and get yourself into trouble, though.

The only problem with this car is that the parts are, for the most part, sourced out of Australia, so replacements are not very cheap and there can be a waiting list. A guy I know had to wait several months for a replacement steering rack to come off backorder from a GM dealer. The slack is being picked up across the aftermarket sector so hopefully prices and waiting times will come down eventually.

Bugeater
06-01-2009, 08:58 PM

Now a stupid question. If I were to buy this car, it'd likely become my daily driver. How much of a difference would I experience in a car like this in the snow, sleet, etc. with a decent pair of snow tires compared to a Front Wheel Drive car that had blah all seasons?
The difference between FWD and RWD in snow is night and day. Getting some good snow tires and some extra weight in the trunk will help out.

BryanBusby
06-01-2009, 09:43 PM
The 04-06 GTOs are not American. They are rebadged Holden Monaros (Australia), which also happen to have the 5.7 or 6.0L Corvette motor/s in them.

I wasn't a fan of the looks to begin with either, but it's really grown on me. The stock wheels look muscley, the back seats aren't bad, the front seats are extremely comfortable, the driving position is great, the gearbox is sturdy and responsive, and is generally an all around great car. It might be a bit too easy to let your foot get into it and get yourself into trouble, though.

The only problem with this car is that the parts are, for the most part, sourced out of Australia, so replacements are not very cheap and there can be a waiting list. A guy I know had to wait several months for a replacement steering rack to come off backorder from a GM dealer. The slack is being picked up across the aftermarket sector so hopefully prices and waiting times will come down eventually.

Great information. I'll have to keep this in mind, Rep

Psyko Tek
06-01-2009, 10:34 PM
See my avatar. Low 10's

I meant body wise
gotta respect 55 chevy's but I love the mid 60's gm bodies
had a 66 impala as a kid

ModSocks
06-02-2009, 08:47 AM

Most people I know of who own a high hp rwd car like the gto, put them away for the winter and buy a cheap fwd.

I think it would be easy to lose control of a car like that in the snow.

And I agree, get the ,LS2 that came in the 05 and 06. That's not to say the
LS1 is slow my any means
Posted via Mobile Device

Radar Chief
06-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Sweet rig, don’t know of any issues with them.
Motorcycle Drag Racing buddy has an ’06 with the 6.0L LS motor that will flat move. He also had installed a factory, yes factory as in warrantee friendly, 150 Horse shot of Nitrous installed.
His favorite trick is to go out and break one off in Z06 Corvette owners. They hate him, BTW.

Radar Chief
06-02-2009, 10:42 AM

Light weight, rear wheel drive, lots of power, it’ll suck ass in the snow.

MIAdragon
06-02-2009, 10:44 AM

If you don’t have much seat time in a car with decent power this may not be the one for you. Its really not that hard but it will bite you if you don’t respect it.

DJ's left nut
06-02-2009, 10:44 AM
you're right

<-----------------

Baby Lee
06-02-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm kind of weird as I actually like the way the newer GTO's exteriors are styled. Not even knowing it's a GTO till you see the emblem is pretty awesome in my book. Something about being a discreet ass hauler interests me.
Doesn't work if you have ears. ;)

HemiEd
06-02-2009, 12:43 PM

I would get it if it is well taken care of. They are very nice cars, and fast.

HemiEd
06-02-2009, 12:52 PM

I learned with my Challenger, that snow tire technology is no longer just a two tire thing.
Bought a set of new Charger take off wheels and put Blizzaks on them last fall. Those tires are amazing, it was like four wheel drive in the bad weather, and we get plenty of it up here.

www.tirerack.com

just punch in your information, with wheels, TPSM Sensors and tires it was about $1500.