PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Haley runs a tight ship!

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-02-2009, 10:44 AM
'He runs a tight ship'

Jun 02, 2009, 8:52:23 AM by Jonathan Rand (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/jonathan_rand/) - FAQ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/01/20/jonathan_rand_faq/)

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/6D4FCEE19BBB43EDAE9830731CE2D4E1.JPG?0.26377542005575194
When Todd Haley was introduced as the Chiefs’ new head coach in early February, he joked that he was trying to loosen up, if only for the day.
“I’ve been reminded by a bunch of people to smile occasionally and not be too serious-looking on TV,” he said.

For a first-time head coach trying to turn around a 2-14 team, a serious look comes naturally. Haley’s players have seen that look ever since they first met him.
“No-nonsense” is a description that rolls quickly off the tongues of players asked to define Haley’s M.O. And if that’s the approach that can get them on a winning track, it meets their approval.

“The day he came in, he let us know there’d be no nonsense,” said defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey, the fifth overall pick of the 2008 draft.
“It’s going to be his way – his way or the highway. That’s all you can ask, for a coach to be straightforward. He runs a tight ship.
“There’s not too much laughing. It’s fun but you can’t get lackadaisical. You’ve got to be focused the whole time.
“He believes in discipline — knowing your assignments, knowing assignments when you’re tired. I like it. You’ve got to take care of your business.”

New coaches inevitably enjoy a honeymoon, especially if they’re taking over a team that’s recently been down and out. The length of the honeymoon depends on the immediacy of encouraging results.
“There are coaches who are stern and some who are laid back, but if you win, it doesn’t matter,” said linebacker Zach Thomas, who is playing for his sixth head coach since he was drafted by the Dolphins in 1996.
“If you win, it’s always a great way to coach, but if you lose it’s the wrong way. I really like what he’s doing here.
“I like him being tough with the team, trying to change the mindset. You won only two games last year, so you’ve got to be different. If you’re the same, you get the same results.”

It’s not as if Herm Edwards, who preceded Haley, was a soft touch. He preached that he wanted a smart, tough and well-disciplined team. But those goals couldn’t be met while he was turning his roster into the league’s youngest.
With change sweeping over the Chiefs’ front offices and coaching offices, it wasn’t likely that any player from 2008 would feel too secure. Haley, indeed, made it clear he didn’t have commitments to the previous regime’s decisions.
“The first thing I said to the entire group was, ‘I don’t care how you got here, whether a free agent…trade…draft pick…first pick…last pick,’ ” he said.
“The best guys are going to play all the time here…whoever gives us the best chance to win.”
Thomas suggests the players who’ve been acquired since Haley’s arrival shouldn’t expect to be viewed any less critically than the holdovers.
“He does make you a little uncomfortable – which is good,” Thomas said.
“You need that. He’s always in the weight room, making sure guys aren’t joking around. He’s always around.”
Thomas, playfully turning his head, added with a smile, “He could be around my shoulder right now, I don’t know. ( LMAO )

“But he’s doing a great job. He’s one of the reasons I’m here. After coming in and talking to him, I like his mindset.”
Dorsey said he would favorably compare Haley’s approach to that of Alabama coach Nick Saban, who coached Dorsey at LSU in 2004, his freshman season.
“They have some of the same characteristics,” Dorsey said. “No nonsense — come in and get the job done. He doesn’t want to hear any excuses.”

Mmm...This.

Hammock Parties
06-02-2009, 10:46 AM
I picture Haley and Pioli showering up in the locker room and walking around in their towels, coming face to face and deadpanning:

"You're dangerous. I like that."

"That's right. I am dangerous."

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/topgay_tot1a.gif

Mr. Arrowhead
06-02-2009, 10:48 AM
no shit

Katipan
06-02-2009, 10:48 AM

I don't think that surprises anyone, Clay.

KcFanInGA
06-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Well, at least the players sound like they respect him. That's more than some teams can say. And I think Pioli walks around so cock-diesel he doesn't even need a towel :)

raybec 4
06-02-2009, 10:55 AM
I picture Haley and Pioli showering up in the locker room and walking around in their towels, coming face to face and deadpanning:

I am not at all shocked that you can't get laid.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-02-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm liking this hire more and more every day.

DeezNutz
06-02-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm liking this hire more and more every day.

The hair on your sack is finally growing back?

Congrats.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-02-2009, 11:01 AM
The hair on your sack is finally growing back?

Congrats.

And I might not have to shave it off again.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-02-2009, 11:02 AM

LMAO

Mr_Tomahawk
06-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Zach Thomas looks like he is unsure if he just sharted himself in that photo...

DeezNutz
06-02-2009, 11:13 AM

You really should.

It's what I do to keep the romance alive in my marriage.

JD10367
06-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Zach Thomas looks like he is unsure if he just sharted himself in that photo...

Well, he IS getting up there in age. Once you cross a certain threshold, it's "never waste a boner, never trust a fart". :(

bevischief
06-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Well, he IS getting up there in age. Once you cross a certain threshold, it's "never waste a boner, never trust a fart". :(

LMAO

Cormac
06-02-2009, 12:24 PM

ROFL

Groves
06-02-2009, 12:25 PM
to the tight-ship!

Tribal Warfare
06-02-2009, 09:21 PM
'He runs a tight ship' (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/06/02/he_runs_a_tight_ship/)
Jun 02, 2009, 8:52:23 AM by Jonathan Rand - FAQ

When Todd Haley was introduced as the Chiefs’ new head coach in early February, he joked that he was trying to loosen up, if only for the day.

“I’ve been reminded by a bunch of people to smile occasionally and not be too serious-looking on TV,” he said.

For a first-time head coach trying to turn around a 2-14 team, a serious look comes naturally. Haley’s players have seen that look ever since they first met him.

“No-nonsense” is a description that rolls quickly off the tongues of players asked to define Haley’s M.O. And if that’s the approach that can get them on a winning track, it meets their approval.

“The day he came in, he let us know there’d be no nonsense,” said defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey, the fifth overall pick of the 2008 draft.

“It’s going to be his way – his way or the highway. That’s all you can ask, for a coach to be straightforward. He runs a tight ship.

“There’s not too much laughing. It’s fun but you can’t get lackadaisical. You’ve got to be focused the whole time.

“He believes in discipline — knowing your assignments, knowing assignments when you’re tired. I like it. You’ve got to take care of your business.”

New coaches inevitably enjoy a honeymoon, especially if they’re taking over a team that’s recently been down and out. The length of the honeymoon depends on the immediacy of encouraging results.

“There are coaches who are stern and some who are laid back, but if you win, it doesn’t matter,” said linebacker Zach Thomas, who is playing for his sixth head coach since he was drafted by the Dolphins in 1996.

“If you win, it’s always a great way to coach, but if you lose it’s the wrong way. I really like what he’s doing here.

“I like him being tough with the team, trying to change the mindset. You won only two games last year, so you’ve got to be different. If you’re the same, you get the same results.”

It’s not as if Herm Edwards, who preceded Haley, was a soft touch. He preached that he wanted a smart, tough and well-disciplined team. But those goals couldn’t be met while he was turning his roster into the league’s youngest.

With change sweeping over the Chiefs’ front offices and coaching offices, it wasn’t likely that any player from 2008 would feel too secure. Haley, indeed, made it clear he didn’t have commitments to the previous regime’s decisions.

“The first thing I said to the entire group was, ‘I don’t care how you got here, whether a free agent…trade…draft pick…first pick…last pick,’ ” he said.

“The best guys are going to play all the time here…whoever gives us the best chance to win.”

Thomas suggests the players who’ve been acquired since Haley’s arrival shouldn’t expect to be viewed any less critically than the holdovers.

“He does make you a little uncomfortable – which is good,” Thomas said.

“You need that. He’s always in the weight room, making sure guys aren’t joking around. He’s always around.”

Thomas, playfully turning his head, added with a smile, “He could be around my shoulder right now, I don’t know.

“But he’s doing a great job. He’s one of the reasons I’m here. After coming in and talking to him, I like his mindset.”

Dorsey said he would favorably compare Haley’s approach to that of Alabama coach Nick Saban, who coached Dorsey at LSU in 2004, his freshman season.

“They have some of the same characteristics,” Dorsey said. “No nonsense — come in and get the job done. He doesn’t want to hear any excuses.”

Reerun_KC
06-02-2009, 09:32 PM
No wonder the crybabies like TG and Waters wanted/want out....

MIAdragon
06-02-2009, 09:32 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=208475

T-post Tom
06-02-2009, 09:48 PM

Is that an ad from a San Fran bath house?