PDA

View Full Version : Royals How long do you give Trey Hillman?

petegz28
06-03-2009, 09:21 AM
He managed a team that showed some progress last year. This year he is managing a team theat went from 18-11 to 23-28. He changes lineups enough to make Bob Boone ask WTF? Consistently bats people in the wrong positions, and I do not mean Coco vs. DDJ for #1 and #2. I mean like putting AC in the #2 spot, batting Jacobs at #4, batting Jacobs at all against LH pitching.

He has not managed the Buck-Olivo rotation with any good results. Lst night he pulled a SS who was playing and batting well to play Tony Jr. Pulled Davies (good decision) to bring on Horacio Ramirez (bad decision). Had Maier batting in the leadoff spot.

This is on top of his lack of strategy, or piss poor strategy, whichever you want to call it. Key hightlights of his ignorance this year would be pinch running for Guillen who was on 3rd and Butler who was on 2nd at the same time in a 7-7 tie game in the 7th inning during our winning streak to batting Maier in the #2 spot then asking him to lay down a SAC bunt in the bottom of the 1st after the leadoff hitter drew a walk on 4 straight pitches, as recently as last Sunday.

Those are just two highlights. Another one would be asking Maier to lay down a bunt with Bloomy on base in the 5th inning of the game, but not asking Maier to lay down the bunt with Bloomy on 1st in the 7th inning of the same game witht he score the same as it was in the 5th.

Other noteables are:

Not calling hit and runs enough
Not having hitters take when they should take
Not having hitters looking to swing early when they need to be swinging early
Letting Greinke pitch well over 100 pitches in a game we have a 5 tun lead in the 9th
Not calling outright steals
Not lining up the OF properly

I am all for the occasional off-the-cuff call. But these problems have been consistent with Hillman since he has been here and even more so this year.

On top of the fact the guy has no coaching experience at all in the ML, you have to wonder when do players start to write him off, if they haven't started already?

So a couple questions have to be presented to Dayton Moore:

1. Is Hillman even capable of managing at this level?
2. Does having Hillman as a Manager impede your ability to sign much needed veteran talent, e.g. Furcal and Hudson?
3. Can Hillman keep the clubhouse or regain it if he loses it?
4. When do you cut him if you decide you have too?

Mr. Krab
06-03-2009, 09:23 AM
They end of this season.

Arsonist
06-03-2009, 09:30 AM
All Star break :thumb:

Demonpenz
06-03-2009, 09:31 AM
He gets this year and one more year. Saddeled by injuries, and underachieving players, it is real hard to fire him. I would spread out the blame on this season 50% on Dayton 20% hillman 10% players 10% rest of coaching staff.

gblowfish
06-03-2009, 09:31 AM
How Lond?

gblowfish
06-03-2009, 09:33 AM
He gets this year and one more year. Saddeled by injuries, and underachieving players, it is real hard to fire him. I would spread out the blame on this season 50% on Dayton 20% hillman 10% players 10% rest of coaching staff.

I'd say it's 20% injuries (Gordon & Aviles)
50% Players
10% Dayton Moore
10% Hillman
10% Glass Family Payroll

Arsonist
06-03-2009, 09:37 AM
50% Players
10% Dayton Moore
10% Hillman
10% Glass Family Payroll

both aviles and gordan both wern't really doing shit before they got hurt.. underachieving players is the biggest problem and Hillman is just a bad manager and needs to get out.

Demonpenz
06-03-2009, 09:37 AM
50% Players
10% Dayton Moore
10% Hillman
10% Glass Family Payroll

Need a percentage of dumb luck. I don't they are going to move Hillman until the end of the 2010 season and I would agree with that, this year was all about getting major league talent on the roster, which is a step up from 2004-08 just finding players, a fair assessment would be to give Hillman a ballclub that is built around what he likes to do best, if he wants to run fine, lets get the players that do that. Unfortunately a couple years is not enough when you are building ground up.

Consistent1
06-03-2009, 09:39 AM
All the questionable managing stuff in the world will not ruin a team that plays well. He should get about what Demonpenz said. He will probably be done at some point regardless because the team will not get drastic upgrades on offense. Look at the other line-ups in that division.

Arsonist
06-03-2009, 09:42 AM
It boggles my mind how shitty the Royals hit.

CoMoChief
06-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Given the Royals don't have hardly any talent like most teams that consistantly make the playoffs........give him at least a few years. Changing managers constantly really isn't going to do much when the source of the problem (payroll and player personnel) remains shitty.

1. The Royals have little to no power in their lineup. The hitting in general is just a fucking nightmare. Has been for almost 20 fuckin yrs.

2. The Royals aren't a great bas running team. They're not fast. So playing small ball is virtually out of the question. At least as far as playing small ball like Hillman would like.

3. Defense and Bullpen has been sketchy at best.

4. When Grienke doesn't pitch, this team really has little to no hope at all in winning ball games.

5. Last but not least, payroll. Regardless of how much Glass has raised it, it's still not good enough. The Royals don't have any superstar players, players that could hit 35-40 HR's, anyone like that. Teams that usually have the big bats usually consistantly win in MLB.

The best managers in the MLB could only do so much with a team like KC.

petegz28
06-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Given the Royals don't have hardly any talent like most teams that consistantly make the playoffs........give him a few years.

The best managers in the MLB could only do so much with a team like KC.

But at what point, and I think we have reached it, do you realize that your manager is making it worse?

Arsonist
06-03-2009, 09:47 AM
at what point do you say "hey the city of KC wants to win lets release these average players and get a few that don't suck"

I know the Royals are forever rebuilding, but come on it's really getting old. The fans have been patient enough.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-03-2009, 09:48 AM
But...but...he's the Manager! He knows everything and you don't!

See how stupid that is?

OmahaChief
06-03-2009, 09:55 AM
He has to go soon. And I base it on the below.\

1. Way too many starting lineups. I know he is trying to finid the right mix but if you only use that lineup for a day or two it does not give it a chance

2. Has no clue how to use the bully. Proved this last year and this year already. At some point he has to realize you cannot bring the same guy out 4 days a week in a leverage situation unless it is Soria.

3. I wonder if the players actually buy into what he is selling. I know he was in the Yankee system but he still his only real shot came in Japan.

4. Seems to covet too many "good guys" I get sick of seeing guys like Bloomquist and Gload in the outfield. Personally I would let a young guy like Maier or Lubinski that is in Omaha get a shot. If you are already losing why not let the kids play and see what the heck happens.

5. I just don't like his ever changing facial hair.

CoMoChief
06-03-2009, 10:04 AM
But at what point, and I think we have reached it, do you realize that your manager is making it worse?

I just don't think firing Hillman now is really going to improve the Royals this season.

I'm not saying it may have same effect as it does in the NFL. But coaching turnover every couple seasons can't be good for the players and asst coaches.

And the best coaches in the MLB know what they're getting into when talking about managing for the Royals. They don't wanna walk into this mess knowing they have little to no chance in succeeding.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-03-2009, 10:06 AM
The Royals don't have any superstar players, players that could hit 35-40 HR's, anyone like that.

Mike Jacobs hit 32 last year and was on pace to beat Steve Balboni's club record a couple weeks ago.

petegz28
06-03-2009, 10:09 AM
I just don't think firing Hillman now is really going to improve the Royals this season.

I'm not saying it may have same effect as it does in the NFL. But coaching turnover every couple seasons can't be good for the players and asst coaches.

And the best coaches in the MLB know what they're getting into when talking about managing for the Royals. They don't wanna walk into this mess knowing they have little to no chance in succeeding.

I would fire Hillman, personally, just based on Hillman's decisions alone. I think he has shown he has no business managing a ML baseball team right now. Having said that, if a good manager doesn't want to manage this team what does that say about Hillman? And what do you think goes through the players' heads?

CoMoChief
06-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Mike Jacobs hit 32 last year and was on pace to beat Steve Balboni's club record a couple weeks ago.

I would go as far to say that Jacobs was protected better in the lineup in FLA than he is in KC.

Not only that Jacobs strikes out A LOT, his OBP was ****in terrible.

CoMoChief
06-03-2009, 10:18 AM
I would fire Hillman, personally, just based on Hillman's decisions alone. I think he has shown he has no business managing a ML baseball team right now. Having said that, if a good manager doesn't want to manage this team what does that say about Hillman? And what do you think goes through the players' heads?

Well, Hillman was managing in the Japs league, probably thought any team in MLB is an upgrade, not to mention a chance to move back to the states.

I think the players know they suck,......they have to. Especially as they look around the league and look how others are doing compared to them. Numbers and stats don't lie in baseball. We dont have anyone that can knock runs in consistantly. The players probably know this. Even though they might give you cliche' answers like "this team is loaded with talent, we just need to put it all together etc".

Shit if I were Royal and I went home at night.....I'd just think......man we fuckin suck.

I'd go as far as saying that our AAA could put up a really good fight against the majors team and could possibly win.

Arsonist
06-03-2009, 10:18 AM
other then Meche, Greinkie, ( i can't believe im gonna say this ) butler, I wouldn't mind if we traded everyone else for new players. thanks have a good day

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-03-2009, 10:32 AM
I would go as far to say that Jacobs was protected better in the lineup in FLA than he is in KC.

Not only that Jacobs strikes out A LOT, his OBP was ****in terrible.

I don't disagree was just saying.

I don't know what's really wrong with this team. Obviously yes we need better players overall but they are capable of playing well, they proved that the first month and a half. The pitching all went to hell at once... the hitting hasn't been there consistantly all year... the defense can be real good but often crap. I think there's a lack of leadership or something. No one to stand up and say enough of this shit, we can play better, we can win, there's no accepting loss and no going into a fetal postion just because of the teams past. Most of the players are young and maybe that means no one is versed in being a leader especially when they've never experienced success.

I blame Hillman to a degree but I think the problems go well beyond him.

Deberg_1990
06-03-2009, 10:39 AM
other then Meche, Greinkie, ( i can't believe im gonna say this ) butler, I wouldn't mind if we traded everyone else for new players. thanks have a good day

Honestly, your right. There are very few building blocks on this team currently.

Greinke, Meche, Gordon (maybe??) , Butler, Soria, thats about it right??

Everyone else is replaceable to be honest.

Sure-Oz
06-03-2009, 10:40 AM
I bet he isn't canned till the end of next season if they continue to suck

gblowfish
06-03-2009, 10:43 AM
DeJesus has been a major disappointment after last year.
They were counting on Gordon to become a big part of the offense, and got nothing.
Jacobs strikes out one in every three ABs.
Aviles gave them nothing after being a .300 hitter last year.
Buck and Olivo both suck. Royals haven't had a starting catcher hit over .250 in a long time.
Crisp gets some walks, but is OBP isn't good for a leadoff guy.
Tony Pena Jr. will not hit over .220.
Jose Guillen is a major defensive liability. He can't cover any ground at all.
Mark Teahen is a utility player on any other team. He's basically equal to Bloomquist.
Callaspo is a less than average fielding second baseman.

If you want to trade players, who would want any of our guys except maybe Gordon and Butler?

Other problem is, once the young guns in the minors are ready to come up, all our pitchers will either be at the end of their contracts or washed up.

We just can't seem to pull it all together at the same time.
Very frustrating....

Deberg_1990
06-03-2009, 10:43 AM

Really depends on the record.

If they finish near where they did last year record wise he keeps his job.

Honestly have no idea? I wouldnt say hes been anything special, but with talent he would look a whole lot better.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-03-2009, 10:44 AM

I'm not sure I'd even count on it then. I can see them giving him more time and understanding they need more pieces in place.

Deberg_1990
06-03-2009, 10:47 AM
DeJesus has been a major disappointment after last year.
They were counting on Gordon to become a big part of the offense, and got nothing.
Jacobs strikes out one in every three ABs.
Aviles gave them nothing after being a .300 hitter last year.
Buck and Olivo both suck. Royals haven't had a starting catcher hit over .250 in a long time.
Crisp gets some walks, but is OBP isn't good for a leadoff guy.
Tony Pena Jr. will not hit over .220.
Jose Guillen is a major defensive liability. He can't cover any ground at all.
Mark Teahen is a utility player on any other team. He's basically equal to Bloomquist.
Callaspo is a less than average fielding second baseman.

If you want to trade players, who would want any of our guys except maybe Gordon and Butler?

Other problem is, once the young guns in the minors are ready to come up, all our pitchers will either be at the end of their contracts or washed up.

We just can't seem to pull it all together at the same time.
Very frustrating....

This....

I honestly cant believe we havent tried to upgrade alot of these guys?

Buck, Teahan, Pena Jr., we have known they sucked for the last few years.

kc1977
06-03-2009, 10:50 AM

I agree with this year and one more year. I think every manager/head coach, etc. gets 3 years to be properly evaluated.

However, I put this season 40% on the players, 20% on Dayton, 25% on Hillman and 15% on the rest of the coaching staff (although that could be spread to Dayton and/or Hillman as they hired them) (Dave Owen just sucks and I'm losing faith in Sietzer).

The players take the bulk of it, though. I have never seen so many bases loaded or 2 men on base with less than 2 outs that we have gotten zero runs out of. It is ridiculous.

CoMoChief
06-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Well when you look at the situation as a whole here's what the Royals were banking on this season.

They are not a power team, they can't have their bats knock people around the bases, they soley rely on good pitching and defense.

Well the good pitching outside of Grienke just went to shit. As did the defense (espeicially in the outfield.......cough Guillen..cough).

Look at the other teams in our division. They have bats in their lineups. Royals do not and have not for years.

Bottom line is in MLB (esp in the American league) you need big bats to win. You need to score a lot of runs to win a lot in this league. You can't simply rely on pitching and expect to win a lot winning games 3-2, 2-1, 1-0 and so on.

Demonpenz
06-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Hillman has only gone through one september call up. Probably give him another one of those to get a long look at other players, hopefully we play some teams in the race so we can see what they do against MLB players

Sure-Oz
06-03-2009, 10:57 AM
Gordon needs to show something this 2nd half, atleast improve on his last 2 years #'s with the minimal ab's he'll have. I think the only thing that really went up last year was BA, OBP just a tad.

Demonpenz
06-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Well when you look at the situation as a whole here's what the Royals were banking on this season.

They are not a power team, they can't have their bats knock people around the bases, they soley rely on good pitching and defense.

Well the good pitching outside of Grienke just went to shit. As did the defense (espeicially in the outfield.......cough Guillen..cough).

Look at the other teams in our division. They have bats in their lineups. Royals do not and have not for years.

Bottom line is in MLB (esp in the American league) you need big bats to win. You need to score a lot of runs to win a lot in this league. You can't simply rely on pitching and expect to win a lot winning games 3-2, 2-1, 1-0 and so on.

I agree with most of this, but if the royals are going pitching and defence, LETS GO PITCHING AND DEFENCE, instead we add people that are supposed to add power and a bat and sacrafice the D. I can't say with a straight face they were trying to go with pitching and defence when we started the year at Teahen on second, avilies with a low range factor at 3rd Gordon average at 3rd, a big fat Litterally question mark at first base billy butler, jacbobs guillien both known below average, average catch with olivio. I think they went with a plus or minus stat when figuring out who to play, what is he supposed to get me on O what do we loose on D and who do we have to replace him (no body really)

teedubya
06-03-2009, 11:41 AM
The New K has worn off. Im not going back out there until like September... so I can see Kila Kai'ahui and Hosmer called up.

Chief Chief
06-03-2009, 11:52 AM
This is driving me crazy!!

I can't decide who started this threadr but I've narrowed it down to two: It's either Jack Harry or George Brett!

gblowfish
06-03-2009, 11:57 AM
The Royals are now down to "Promotion Driven Baseball." Fans show up for a free T-Shirt or beach towel, but not so much for the actual baseball.

It's almost like KC fans have forgotten why they're supposed to be interested in going to a game....

Sad really.

Deberg_1990
06-03-2009, 12:03 PM
The Royals are now down to "Promotion Driven Baseball." Fans show up for a free T-Shirt or beach towel, but not so much for the actual baseball.

It's almost like KC fans have forgotten why they're supposed to be interested in going to a game....

Sad really.

heh, your right. Never really thought of it that way. I cant blame them though. They have to find some way to put butts in seats.

There is a whole generation of Royals fans that have known nothing but suckatude.

Thats sad...

Silock
06-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Yesterday. Dude needs to be gone.

58kcfan89
06-03-2009, 12:14 PM
heh, your right. Never really thought of it that way. I cant blame them though. They have to find some way to put butts in seats.

There is a whole generation of Royals fans that have known nothing but suckatude.

Thats sad...

It's been 4 years before I was born since the last time the Royals made the f'ing playoffs. And I turn 20 in 2 weeks. My best memory of the Royals is telling everyone in '03 that it wasn't gunna happen, then to have them prove me right. :banghead::cuss::#

I really hope they/Dayton can find a way to turn the team around, I had some really REALLY high hopes for this season.

Deberg_1990
06-03-2009, 12:17 PM
It's been 4 years before I was born since the last time the Royals made the f'ing playoffs. And I turn 20 in 2 weeks. My best memory of the Royals is telling everyone in '03 that it wasn't gunna happen, then to have them prove me right. :banghead::cuss::#

I really hope they/Dayton can find a way to turn the team around, I had some really REALLY high hopes for this season.

I feel for ya dude. IM 38. When i was a kid the Royals were competing nearly every year.

petegz28
06-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Personally I think his probation time has started and I would give him until the All-Star break. If this team keeps putting in this shitty of a performance he has to go regardless of what may or may not be his fault. Moore has to send a message somehow to the team, and maybe even more importantly the fans and some of us season ticket holders that losing is not going to be tolerated like it has been in years past. I am sick of hearing the "we aren't playing for this year" excuse. When Moore came in he said he was putting an end to that mentality and that we are "playing for this year". Well, that means you don't tolerate bullshit like going 5-17 when you were atop the division.

DeezNutz
06-03-2009, 12:48 PM

This is a pretty good breakdown of blame.

Dayton needs to receive the majority for assembling this cast. The problem with Trey, though, is that this team has a small margin for error, non-existant, actually, and his poor decisions are often the tipping point.

Bottom line: I don't think this team will ever win anything of significance with a guy like Hillman at the helm. And I'm another piss poor off-season from saying that Moore is similarly in over his head.

Deberg_1990
06-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Isnt the MLB draft coming up soon? I wonder what future bust Dayton has his eye on??

Arsonist
06-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Personally I think his probation time has started and I would give him until the All-Star break. If this team keeps putting in this shitty of a performance he has to go regardless of what may or may not be his fault. Moore has to send a message somehow to the team, and maybe even more importantly the fans and some of us season ticket holders that losing is not going to be tolerated like it has been in years past. I am sick of hearing the "we aren't playing for this year" excuse. When Moore came in he said he was putting an end to that mentality and that we are "playing for this year". Well, that means you don't tolerate bullshit like going 5-17 when you were atop the division.

exactly, and the sick thing is were only 5.5 games out of first! Now im a realist and I'm confident that were not gonna win it, but still just saying we have the chance to " play for this year" :thumb:

sportsman1
06-03-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm more apt at this point to firing Dayton Moore than Trey Hillman. Hillman isn't the best, and I didn't think so when he was hired.. but.. Firing managers hasn't, and wont change a thing. We need the talent, and complete commitment to winning. I'm willing to give Hillman, and Moore until this time next year. Being a Royal's fan you know better than to jump the gun. How many managers have we saw come, and go?

Sure-Oz
06-03-2009, 12:58 PM

Sad really.

Yep, for quite awhile. It's the wrong way to do things too....they should be coming 2ndary for promo's, but they get people to come. Should be baseball 1st, but we don't have much of that, hopefully that will change too.

Silock
06-03-2009, 12:59 PM
I think hiring a manager with an IQ over 70 would be a huge help to this team. Hillman simply doesn't know how to manufacture runs or play to our strengths. No, we're not the best team, and you MUST adjust your strategy for that. Hillman doesn't, and that's inexcusable.

I mean, we have a LOT of problems. Hillman is just ONE aspect of that. Lack of talent is another. But just because you have a lot of problems to fix doesn't make fixing just one the wrong thing to do.

Arsonist
06-03-2009, 01:01 PM
I would love the Royals to win a world series in my lifetime ( im 27 ROFL ) but I would just settle for a .500 season.

Sure-Oz
06-03-2009, 01:01 PM
I still remember one year Buck Showalter was being pimped by espn to take over for our job, then we decided on nosotros douchebagos....

Demonpenz
06-03-2009, 01:21 PM
I still remember one year Buck Showalter was being pimped by espn to take over for our job, then we decided on nosotros douchebagos....

yeah that was terrible he won coach of the year :rolleyes sarcasticly know that it could have just been an anomoly but instead rolling my eyes because I like rolling my eyes:

DaWolf
06-03-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm more apt at this point to firing Dayton Moore than Trey Hillman. Hillman isn't the best, and I didn't think so when he was hired.. but.. Firing managers hasn't, and wont change a thing. We need the talent, and complete commitment to winning. I'm willing to give Hillman, and Moore until this time next year. Being a Royal's fan you know better than to jump the gun. How many managers have we saw come, and go?

I'm beginning to sour a bit on Moore as well. Problem is he's done some good things along with some really boneheaded things. Since he appears to be turning the minor league system around, I'm willing to give him a bit more time, but he's made some dubious decisions in FA. I'm willing to give him a shot at hiring a second manager, as you can always make mistakes on your first hire. But Hillman, really right now I don't know how this is going to get any better. I give him a week and then if things don't turn around, can him. And give Moore one last shot at getting it right...

cmh6476
06-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Will Alex Gordon, David DeJesus, Mark Teahen, Mike Aviles, Alberto Callaspo, Billy Butler, Brian Bannister or Kyle Daviess ever reach the expectations we all expect of them in order to be a competitive team? I'm actually starting to question how many players are of the caliber it takes to put a championship team together. And if you start picking off a piece here or a piece there to try and upgrade at a particular position, which one is it? Are any of these guys irreplaceable, or could we improve at any of their positions? And if we do go for that big name signing, you're pushing one of these guys out of a spot, and are you pushing out the right one to maximize your potential? All these guys are starting to seem very similar to me, a lot of hype and hoopla around them, but they just don't seem to be able to put up the all-star numbers.

Deberg_1990
06-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Will Alex Gordon, David DeJesus, Mark Teahen, Mike Aviles, Alberto Callaspo, Billy Butler, Brian Bannister or Kyle Daviess ever reach the expectations we all expect of them in order to be a competitive team?

Gordon: Jury still out. Lets see how he plays when he returns. If hes still bad, im going to call him an official bust

DeJesus: No

Teahan: no

Aviles: No

Callaspo: no

Butler: Hes ok. decent hitter. I dont understand why he doesnt hit for more power??

Bannister and Davies can be solid innings eaters. realistically, should never be higher than 3rd or 4th starters.

Consistent1
06-03-2009, 01:45 PM
One other thing about this is the fact that they got off to a better start than they should have. Zack G. is not literally ever going to win every damn time. Guys are getting dissapointed in them now, but they expected about what is happening now in reality. Right?

cmh6476
06-03-2009, 02:06 PM
One other thing about this is the fact that they got off to a better start than they should have. Zack G. is not literally ever going to win every damn time. Guys are getting dissapointed in them now, but they expected about what is happening now in reality. Right?

no, they've won what 5 games in their last 30?

Sure-Oz
06-03-2009, 02:09 PM
we barely get 2 runs a game, the offense is a HUGE problem and will continue to be with these scrubs not taking pitches and swinging at shit

sportsman1
06-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Gordon verdict is still out. Billy has proven to be a solid hitter. Teahan is a solid all around player, but has been f***ed with too much. Everyone else on the offensive/defensive side are exchangeable.

Arsonist
06-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Gordon verdict is still out. Billy has proven to be a solid hitter. Teahan is a solid all around player, but has been f***ed with too much. Everyone else on the offensive/defensive side are exchangeable.

I agree with the Teahan statement in that if he played and batted the same place everytime i think he would be a better player

Demonpenz
06-03-2009, 02:18 PM
I agree with the Teahan statement in that if he played and batted the same place everytime i think he would be a better player

your on fire today!

petegz28
06-03-2009, 02:18 PM
This is a pretty good breakdown of blame.

Dayton needs to receive the majority for assembling this cast. The problem with Trey, though, is that this team has a small margin for error, non-existant, actually, and his poor decisions are often the tipping point.

Bottom line: I don't think this team will ever win anything of significance with a guy like Hillman at the helm. And I'm another piss poor off-season from saying that Moore is similarly in over his head.

This, though I cut Moore a little more slack simply because he has tried to get some better players in here and they just wouldn't sign. I think Moore is approaching things the right way and yes he has and will make some mistakes.

That being said I think any team in any sport reflects the attitude and mentality of it's coach. Hillman simply doesn't have this team buying in. He makes stupid decisions and you and I both know they have cost us several games. And if you and I are going "WTF are you doing have Maier bunt in the bottom of the 1st with a wild pitcher?", if Frank White is sitting in the booth saying "I don't have the hitter take the bat off of his shoulder until he gets a strike", then you know the players are thinking the same freaking thing.

King_Chief_Fan
06-03-2009, 02:46 PM
You mean that joke is still there?

CoMoChief
06-03-2009, 03:31 PM
In baseball it all falls on ownership.

In MLB you have to pay to play. Simply put. If you want to win you have to pay to get players that will consistantly help you win. I think the last top teir guy we paid to come to KC was David Cone.

Some teams draft well and do well, some teams load up in FA and do well.

Royals don't do either one even remotely average so it doesn't really matter who coaches this team because the front office and scouts aren't doing whats needed to get the Royals where they need to be.

Baby Lee
06-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Mods, can Arsonist's status be channged from 'Starter' to 'FIREStarter?'

Demonpenz
06-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Mods, can Arsonist's status be channged from 'Starter' to 'FIREStarter?'

bring the pressure, rep the game i'll test ya

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-03-2009, 05:36 PM
In baseball it all falls on ownership.

In MLB you have to pay to play. Simply put. If you want to win you have to pay to get players that will consistantly help you win. I think the last top teir guy we paid to come to KC was David Cone.

Some teams draft well and do well, some teams load up in FA and do well.

Royals don't do either one even remotely average so it doesn't really matter who coaches this team because the front office and scouts aren't doing whats needed to get the Royals where they need to be.

Actually we drafted Cone.

petegz28
06-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Considering Hillman has started Maier in the leadoff spot, AC in the #2 spot and Jacobs in tne #4 spot for the 2nd night in a row I am ready for him to get the noose after tonight's loss.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Considering Hillman has started Maier in the leadoff spot, AC in the #2 spot and Jacobs in tne #4 spot for the 2nd night in a row I am ready for him to get the noose after tonight's loss.

Maier leading off is a bit dumb but where would you like Callaspo and Jacobs to hit? Everyone bitched about DDJ batting second while Callaspo was hitting good and Hillman basically switched them in the line-up and it worked immediately. DDJ picked up his game right away and since those two are basically the same "type" of hitter it made sense to put Callaspos hotter bat in the 2 spot.... and whether you like Jacobs or not he's our power hitter and power hitters bat 3, 4 or 5 generally.