PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Inland Empire - My final thoughts

Simply Red
06-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Okay, I've owned this movie now, for over a yr, now. More like 1.5. Anywho, my first thoughts on the flick were not good, at all. HOWEVER, i'd only viewed the first half.

After viewing the entire movie, i will say, that the second half, really helps bail out the first-half. Now I'm fully convinced that Lynch is 'amazing' and seriously my fav. writter/director/producer ever. I've never EVER seen someone capture a 'realistic' dream-sequence' like he does. At times while watching it, I was damned near horrified. Parts of that movie actually scared me. The girls though, in the dream. They're all incredible, there are about 4-5 scenes w/ these chicks in them. There are about 6-9 girls in all of these 'girl' dream-sequences/scenes. I was so seduced by them that I literally felt like a boy w/ a crush, (not in a kinky weird way), but overall, I have never seen sexier scenes in a movie, EVER. The brunettes are just amazing.

So hats off Lynch, sir. You remain my favorite.

BFF,

SR

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ib11g0.jpg

Simply Red
06-04-2009, 08:17 AM
wow, guess I'm unique.

L.A. Chieffan
06-04-2009, 11:04 AM
SR.....how thoughtful.

Red Brooklyn
06-04-2009, 11:10 AM
I like you, Red.

This just reinforces my fondness for you.

Lynch is a genius. He's a remarkable film-maker and a unique spirit. A true artist. There has never been another film-maker that has been able to physcially, emotionally, and psycologically affect me the way he does. INLAND EMPIRE is the apex of this...

I absolutely adored this movie. Something about the sound, the ambiance throughout. So many times, I am wooed by Lynch's silence - or use of silence. IE is the opposite. There's never a quiet moment. There is some sort of noise - music, dialogue, white noise, background life, etc - happing underneath all 3.5 hours of this thing. It's haunting. The story is perhaps not completely original and unique, but Lynch's take on it cerainly is. It's brave. It's visionary.

Lynch is the bravest artist in Hollywood. He's never afraid to just to where his instinct and vision take him. He's a pioneer and an innovator. I can't say enough good things about this guy.

The film itself just blows my mind. He keeps getting more interesting for me. MULHOLLAND DRIVE is probably still my favorite because of the balance it strikes. The beauty vs the horror. The dream vs the reality. The humor vs the horror. The genuine, true love vs the violent, abusive hate. It's pretty and incredibly difficult to watch at the same time. And that movie is terrifying.... That said, I had high hopes for IE, but a few of my friends were very underwhelmed with the finished product.

I bought IE - sight unseen - once it hit DVD. I waited for a night that the wife was away at work. I popped in the movie, turned off the lights (and the world) and lost myself for three + hours. My initial reaction was that it was a griddier, seedier, harder MD. Some very obvious Lynchian themes. Images we're all used to. But there's something else, isn't there? Like, right under the surface. Something brand new, scratching, peeling...

The choice to go digital is remarkable and really allows access to Lynch's world like I've never imagined. Laura Dern should have not only won an Oscar for her performance, but maybe should have been made Queen of the World for a week or two. She blows this movie wide open. A lesser performer and the movie treads that edge of alienation. A lesser writer/director and the movie falls into the deep trench of self-agrandizing masterbation (see Pink Floyd's THE WALL).

The movie wouldn't let go of me for weeks. The images still haunt me from time to time. Like all of Lynch's films (except maybe STRAIGHT STORY) there are moments that scare the soul out of me. That man understands madenss and fear (as well as beauty and love) better than any artist working today. The movie is scary. And what makes it even scarier (you hit the nail right on the head here) is that it's very sexy. It's so odd to be attracted to fear in this way. It's not arrousing, necessarily - though that's there too in pieces - it's more like a seduction of the unknown. An outside culling. A warm breeze that smells of childhood hidden deep within a very dark cavern that has no bottom, and no lighted entrance. Brilliant film. Well worth the running time. I recommend it to all.

Obvioulsy, I loved the movie. I loved your review. And any time you want to chat about Lynch, just hit me up. I'm always in the mood.

Otter
06-04-2009, 11:33 AM
I took me 2 or 3 views of "Eraserhead" to have (or at least formulate my own) idea of what was going on. "Inland Empire" is as at least complex, probably more so, and quiet long so I'm having problems diving in for the long haul.

Agree Lynch is extremely talented. He can tend to be a bit heavy at times though so I really have to be in the mood to put in the commitment to watch him. Has been awhile.

If you liked the "sexy" part of IE check out "Cashback". ;D

Simply Red
06-04-2009, 04:19 PM
SR.....how thoughtful.

It's thought 'provoking',

-don't touch the watch!

nstygma
06-04-2009, 04:38 PM
I must admit, I was hoping terry crews would suddenly look at the camera and sing:

If I could fall into the sky,
Do you think time
would pass me by?
'Cause you know I'd walk a thousand miles
If I could just see you...
Tonight.

Simply Red
06-04-2009, 04:41 PM
I must admit, I was hoping terry crews would suddenly look at the camera and sing:

If I could fall into the sky,
Do you think time
would pass me by?
'Cause you know I'd walk a thousand miles
If I could just see you...
Tonight.

testify now sir, that brunette w/ the green eye-shadow. JESUS!!!!:whackit:

and I never use that smiley.

Simply Red
06-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I'd like to know FMB! 's input on the flick O discussion

Brock
01-21-2010, 03:23 PM
I finally sat and watched the whole thing after a couple of aborted attempts. Not really sure how I feel about this one. There were some definitely creepy moments that raised the hair on the back of my neck, and found myself sort of intuitively understanding what things meant. However, there were a lot of WTF moments like the scenes with the rabbits. It was reminiscent of MH in some ways, but way more densely layered and dreamlike. I guess I liked it, I definitely have found it to be thought provoking, since I'm still thinking about it the next day.

MOhillbilly
01-21-2010, 03:27 PM
havent seen it. MHD left me kinda cold, FWWM is still one of the scariest movies ever made. That said i love everything pre-MHD even Dune.

A master no doubt but he has lost me in his haze, and i care not to cut through it.

Otter
01-21-2010, 04:17 PM
havent seen it. MHD left me kinda cold, FWWM is still one of the scariest movies ever made. That said i love everything pre-MHD even Dune.

A master no doubt but he has lost me in his haze, and i care not to cut through it.

What is FWWM?

I still haven't watched this one in its entirety either. I find it's just too long and too deep for me to dig through. Back in college when I had the time and the pot it was fun but now it's just too much like work.

"The Sopranos" had a perfect mix of complex interpretation and traditional story presentation for my taste. The first three seasons were the best thing to happen in both television or movie making IMHO.

MOhillbilly
01-21-2010, 04:20 PM
What is FWWM?

twin peaks - fire walk with me.

Fritz88
01-21-2010, 04:54 PM
SR likes it. Gatta check it out.

Has anyone here seen Syencdoche, New York ?

Simply Red
01-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Lynch is really a trippy person, you should hear him discuss stuff, well, you should hear him discuss, anything.