PDA

View Full Version : News Stem Cell Contact Lenses Cure Blindness in Less Than a Month

Hammock Parties
06-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Basically if you don't like stem cell research you're dumb.

http://gizmodo.com/5277456/stem-cell-contact-lenses-cure-blindness-in-less-than-a-month

Here's something that people with poor or no vision will be excited about: three patients had their sight restored in less than a month by contact lenses (http://gizmodo.com/tag/contact-lenses/) cultured with stem cells (http://gizmodo.com/tag/stem-cells/).

All three patients were blind in one eye. The researchers extracted stem cells (http://gizmodo.com/tag/stem-cells/) from their working eyes, cultured them in contact lenses for 10 days, and gave them to the patients. Within 10 to 14 days of use, the stem cells began recolonizing and repairing the cornea.

Of the three patients, two were legally blind but can now read the big letters on an eye chart, while the third, who could previously read the top few rows of the chart, is now able to pass the vision test for a driver's license. The research team isn't getting over excited, still remaining unsure as to whether the correction will remain stable, but the fact that the three test patients have been enjoying restored sight for the last 18 months is definitely encouraging. The simplicity and low cost of the technique also means that it could be carried out in poorer countries.

Donger
06-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Nanites rule!

Hammock Parties
06-05-2009, 11:13 AM
I wonder if stem cell condoms will make dicks bigger? This could potentially be a huge economy-stimulating breakthrough.

Just Passin' By
06-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Basically if you don't like stem cell research you're dumb.

While I'm sure someone would fall into that category, I don't know of a single human being who's opposed to stem cell research.

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Catholics are vehimately opposed to stem cell research

MIAdragon
06-05-2009, 11:19 AM
While I'm sure someone would fall into that category, I don't know of a single human being who's opposed to stem cell research.

you dont know many people then.

BigRichard
06-05-2009, 11:21 AM

I think you are trying to catch people with this statement. Although most anybody would be for stem cell research many are opposed to embryonic stem cell research.

BigRichard
06-05-2009, 11:22 AM

I was right, he caught ya.

BigRichard
06-05-2009, 11:22 AM
you dont know many people then.

You too.

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 11:23 AM
I was right, he caught ya.

all apart of vatican II

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 11:25 AM
I know most christians are against stem cell research because the babies are murdered this holocaust is unacceptable no matter what research is done

Baby Lee
06-05-2009, 11:26 AM
The researchers extracted stem cells (http://gizmodo.com/tag/stem-cells/) from their working eyes, cultured them in contact lenses for 10 days, and gave them to the patients.
No grind up babby? :cuss:

Frazod
06-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Unfortunately, their eyes are going to hell when they die.

Hopefully heaven has seeing-eye clouds.

Mr. Krab
06-05-2009, 11:28 AM
While I'm sure someone would fall into that category, I don't know of a single human being who's opposed to stem cell research.Only millions of Catholics and probably many other religious people who have be brainwashed into believe that stem cell research = abortion.

BigRichard
06-05-2009, 11:28 AM
I know most christians are against stem cell research because the babies are murdered this holocaust is unacceptable no matter what research is done

Read my post up above. They are against embryonic stem cell research. They can do stem cell research without using embryos. I believe they just get better results with embryos.

Saulbadguy
06-05-2009, 11:29 AM
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/

Mr. Krab
06-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Read my post up above. They are against embryonic stem cell research. They can do stem cell research without using embryos. I believe they just get better results with embryos.
Alot of them throw all stem cell research into the same category. They think that if they give the ok to ANY stem cell research that it's open the flood gates for all research. They also think that by approving embronic stem cell research that it will create more abortions.

Baby Lee
06-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Alot of them throw all stem cell research into the same category. They think that if they give the ok to ANY stem cell research that it's open the flood gates for all research. They also think that by approving embronic stem cell research that it will create more abortions.

The only conflation of the two I've seen is from the mooks in this thread.

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Oppsie The murder of unborn babies is wrong no matter what spin the liberal media puts on it.

Reaper16
06-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Oppsie The murder of unborn babies is wrong no matter what spin the liberal media puts on it.
Here's what I'm saying: would anyone have condemned a German citizen from killing a Nazi during the Holocaust? No, violence is acceptable against great evil. But that guy who killed Tiller the Baby Killer is being vilified by his fellow pro-lifers. Shameful. That killer dude really saw the Holocaust 2.0 that is going on and he stepped up to the plate.

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Here's what I'm saying: would anyone have condemned a German citizen from killing a Nazi during the Holocaust? No, violence is acceptable against great evil. But that guy who killed Tiller the Baby Killer is being vilified by his fellow pro-lifers. Shameful. That killer dude really saw the Holocaust 2.0 that is going on and he stepped up to the plate.

truth, he knocked the preverbal baby into the upper deck at the old tiger staduim

BigRichard
06-05-2009, 11:49 AM
You realize that by God making woman have their period he is killing millions of embryos everyday. You murdering son of a bitch God :cuss:. Oh wait, that time of the month has to be the Devil's doing :evil:.

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 11:50 AM
You realize that by God making woman have their period he is killing millions of embryos everyday. You murdering son of a bitch God :cuss:. Oh wait, that time of the month has to be the Devil's doing :evil:.

you knows what they say, if it aint one thing it's your mother!

Reaper16
06-05-2009, 11:50 AM
truth, he knocked the preverbal baby into the upper deck at the old tiger staduim
That guy is the Silver Slugger of people who care about the abortion issue.

I don't think that most pro-life people really think that abortion is murder. I think that they just feel bad about unpunished sex.

CoMoChief
06-05-2009, 11:52 AM

The Catholic Church is also the most corrupt organization known to mankind.

Brock
06-05-2009, 11:53 AM

Far from it.

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 11:54 AM

no doubt

CoMoChief
06-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Far from it.

over the history of time. it sure as hell ranks up there.

Brock
06-05-2009, 11:56 AM
over the history of time. it sure as hell ranks up there.

It may be the longest-lived "corrupt organization" of all time, but it is in no way the most corrupt organization in history.

Baby Lee
06-05-2009, 11:58 AM
I don't think that most people who moan about the Holocaust are really concerned about the slaughter of Jews. I think that they're just jealous of those cool uniforms the SS got to wear.

Harsh dude.

rad
06-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Far from it.

Whoa dude, don't you watch movies?

BigMeatballDave
06-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Catholics are vehimately opposed to stem cell researchI understand why they are, and its completely ingnorant.

rad
06-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Oh yeah, and off to DC in 3........2.........1.......

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 12:04 PM
i am surprised i spelled vehimately right

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 12:05 PM
That is the reasons Catholics don't support barack is because of the Abortion issue

Just Passin' By
06-05-2009, 12:06 PM
I think you are trying to catch people with this statement. Although most anybody would be for stem cell research many are opposed to embryonic stem cell research.

I wasn't trying to catch anyone. People will get caught without my help. Hell, you clarified the point and people are still getting it wrong.

BigMeatballDave
06-05-2009, 12:07 PM
The Catholic Church is also the most corrupt organization known to mankind.I don't know about that, but they are up there.

rad
06-05-2009, 12:07 PM
i am surprised i spelled vehimately right

Vehemently.

BigMeatballDave
06-05-2009, 12:09 PM
i am surprised i spelled vehimately rightYeah, but the rest of your punctuation sucks! :D

Baby Lee
06-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Vehemently.

STFU Donnie

http://hudm1012008.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/1998_the_big_lebowski_0041.jpg

BigRichard
06-05-2009, 12:12 PM
I wasn't trying to catch anyone. People will get caught without my help. Hell, you clarified the point and people are still getting it wrong.

I know, I wanted to type "Is this mic on? Hello?" :shrug:

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 12:13 PM
While abortions are still illegal the american people will have to go without hope for as long as freedom is there the sun will shine -robert frost

Baby Lee
06-05-2009, 12:16 PM
I know, I wanted to type is this mic on? Hello? :shrug:

I think you're missing the bigger point, which is that fucking Christians hate women, hate sex, hate science, and hate cripples.

You, chiefsplanet, I learned it from you.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y-Elr5K2Vuo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y-Elr5K2Vuo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

CoMoChief
06-05-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't know about that, but they are up there.

OK so THE worst is too harsh.....my bad. But it really ranks up there at the top. Just trying to make a point more than anything really.

Brock
06-05-2009, 12:19 PM
OK so THE worst is too harsh.....my bad. But it really ranks up there at the top. Just trying to make a point more than anything really.

Fail.

Shaid
06-05-2009, 12:20 PM

I'm Catholic and I'm not. The opposition is to the abortion issue. Now, they could just take stems cells from the umbilical cord of pretty much every normal birth and still get plenty of stem cells. I don't see why that avenue isn't explored a bit more.

CoMoChief
06-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Fail.

Far from it

CoMoChief
06-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm Catholic and I'm not. The opposition is to the abortion issue. Now, they could just take stems cells from the umbilical cord of pretty much every normal birth and still get plenty of stem cells. I don't see why that avenue isn't explored a bit more.

Probably doesn't get the best results. That would be my guess.

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 12:23 PM

You can't be Catholic and approve of it.

rad
06-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Hey, that reminds me....remember those dead baby jokes from the 80's?

Donger
06-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Does anyone else see a new thread and click on it just to see what the ad at the bootom of the page is?

Baby Lee
06-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Probably doesn't get the best results. That would be my guess.

Actually, it's looking like the non-embryonic avenues are showing the most promise.

BigRichard
06-05-2009, 12:28 PM

Do you consider killing an embryonic stem cell abortion though?

SBK
06-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Intellectual honesty is a job requirement at WPI.
Posted via Mobile Device

ottawa_chiefs_fan
06-05-2009, 12:37 PM

I think that you would be hard-pressed to find many 2,000-year-old organizations run by ambitious men that did not have a signification amount of corruption at times over their tenure.....unfortunately, power corrupts, and we are all human.

Just Passin' By
06-05-2009, 12:51 PM

You kill the embryo when you get the stem cells. You're not just grabbing stem cells. This becomes a very convoluted situation, especially when you toss in the IVF factor.

I believe, however, that at least one company has claimed to have successfully gotten embryonic cells without killing the embryo. I haven't done the follow up on that, so I can't verify whether or not that claim has held up to scrutiny.

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I think that you would be hard-pressed to find many 2,000-year-old organizations run by ambitious men that did not have a signification amount of corruption at times over their tenure.....unfortunately, power corrupts, and we are all human.

the pope is infallable and can do no wrong

BigRichard
06-05-2009, 01:13 PM
You kill the embryo when you get the stem cells. You're not just grabbing stem cells. This becomes a very convoluted situation, especially when you toss in the IVF factor.

I believe, however, that at least one company has claimed to have successfully gotten embryonic cells without killing the embryo. I haven't done the follow up on that, so I can't verify whether or not that claim has held up to scrutiny.

Basically I just wanted to know if Shaid considered anyone destroying an embryo abortion. I might not have worded it correctly.

ottawa_chiefs_fan
06-05-2009, 01:21 PM
the pope is infallable and can do no wrong

Actually the Pope is infallible - but that does not mean he cannot commit a sin in his own life....and let's not go there - I don't have time for a long theological discussion (nor the brainpower).

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Actually the Pope is infallible - but that does not mean he cannot commit a sin in his own life....and let's not go there - I don't have time for a long theological discussion (nor the brainpower).

strawmen arguement

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 01:23 PM
i am being dense, sarcastic, stupid don't mind me today hey hey

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 01:23 PM
FINALLY FOUND A LOOOOVE OF A LIFETIME

Jenson71
06-05-2009, 01:27 PM

A point? The most uneducated know of some supposed general corruption or time of when the Church was corrupt. Usually it's "the Dark Ages" when they "killed Galileo" or started the Crusades, by our standards a mean little event over killing Muslims for fun. Or when a Pope had fathered children. Or sex abuse. See! Corruption! A house of cards! It doesn't have to be focused on one single point. A few weeks ago someone here mentioned how the Church had basically rewritten the Bible, and we will never get back to the truth of the Gospel, or something like that. It doesn't have to have any hard facts to back it up. It just needs some anecdotes, but really, not even that anymore. All of this has become common knowledge, and industries can make millions off it.

The Church is corrupt, so corrupt, that the Church has no legitimacy. They are power hungry thieves. The intellectual thing to do now is pat ourselves on the back for overcoming this sick organization, for freeing ourselves to 'progress' and enlightenment, and make any disparaging remark, "a point", about how we are so much better for it.

Hammock Parties
06-05-2009, 01:44 PM
Does anyone else see a new thread and click on it just to see what the ad at the bootom of the page is?

What ad?

Use adblock you neanderthal.

CoMoChief
06-05-2009, 01:59 PM
A point? The most uneducated know of some supposed general corruption or time of when the Church was corrupt. Usually it's "the Dark Ages" when they "killed Galileo" or started the Crusades, by our standards a mean little event over killing Muslims for fun. Or when a Pope had fathered children. Or sex abuse. See! Corruption! A house of cards! It doesn't have to be focused on one single point. A few weeks ago someone here mentioned how the Church had basically rewritten the Bible, and we will never get back to the truth of the Gospel, or something like that. It doesn't have to have any hard facts to back it up. It just needs some anecdotes, but really, not even that anymore. All of this has become common knowledge, and industries can make millions off it.

The Church is corrupt, so corrupt, that the Church has no legitimacy. They are power hungry thieves. The intellectual thing to do now is pat ourselves on the back for overcoming this sick organization, for freeing ourselves to 'progress' and enlightenment, and make any disparaging remark, "a point", about how we are so much better for it.

Wow, way to get worked up over nothing.

Hammock Parties
06-05-2009, 02:02 PM
A few weeks ago someone here mentioned how the Church had basically rewritten the Bible, and we will never get back to the truth of the Gospel, or something like that. It doesn't have to have any hard facts to back it up

It's called the council of Nicea. Hello? The Romans pretty much took Catholicism and twisted it, filled it full of bullshit and made it all about power and money.

It's a garbage religion full of hypocrites. I have more respect for Pentecostals and Jehovah's freaking Witnesses.

Shaid
06-05-2009, 02:11 PM
You can't be Catholic and approve of it.

Yes I can. Even though I'm Catholic, it doesn't mean I blindly follow everything the curch says. You're an American, do you think everything our government does is perfect?

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 02:14 PM
Yes I can. Even though I'm Catholic, it doesn't mean I blindly follow everything the curch says. You're an American, do you think everything our government does is perfect?

You don't have to blindly follow it, but yeah following the churches beliefs is kinda what being confirmed means. Though you maybe unconfirmed ...

Shaid
06-05-2009, 02:17 PM

Stem cells from the umbilical cord will simply be discarded with the umbilical cord and are not going to be formed into a child. It's almost idiotic to not use them. I don't consider it killing to use those cells just as I don't think when you go to the doctor and give some of your blood for testing that you are "killing" you blood. They are just cells.

Donger
06-05-2009, 02:18 PM
What ad?

Use adblock you neanderthal.

As should be clear, I actually enjoy them. Hence, my post.

Shaid
06-05-2009, 02:22 PM
You don't have to blindly follow it, but yeah following the churches beliefs is kinda what being confirmed means. Though you maybe unconfirmed ...

Confirmation is confirming your baptism. Essentially you are saying that you believe in god. There is a big difference. A church is man-made so it can and will have mistakes.

Hammock Parties
06-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Confirmation is confirming your baptism. Essentially you are saying that you believe in god. There is a big difference. A church is man-made so it can and will have mistakes.

Yeah, like slaughtering a few million people during the crusades. Including Jews.

"Oopsie! My bad!"

http://www.jewishjournal.com/images/thegodblog_images/Pope-739682.jpg

Otter
06-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Three words:

Stem Cell Condoms

Shaid
06-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Yeah, like slaughtering a few million people during the crusades. Including Jews.

"Oopsie! My bad!"

http://www.jewishjournal.com/images/thegodblog_images/Pope-739682.jpg

Look at governments from the middle ages and tell me about one that did not have corruption and greed associated with it. I suppose we could say that all americans are racist because slavery was allowed in this country 150 years ago? Governments and people make mistakes. I'm more interested in the now than what happened hundreds of years ago.

Jenson71
06-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Wow, way to get worked up over nothing.

Nothing? My religion - nothing? My history, our history - nothing? If these are nothing, what is anything?

But I doubt you see it as nothing. If it's something to go around talking about how corrupt the Church has been or still is based upon your understanding of things, then it's also something to be provided another perspective, and I would argue, a perspective based on a deeper and more accurate understanding, in defense of the Church.

Hammock Parties
06-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Look at governments from the middle ages and tell me about one that did not have corruption and greed associated with it.

How does that excuse Catholicism for getting in bed with government?

I'm more interested in the now than what happened hundreds of years ago.

It's irreparable damage, if you ask me. The Catholic Church was built upon lies and bullshit. Just because it doesn't launch bloody, immoral crusades anymore doesn't mean it's the light of the world. It's still steeped in meaningless ritual, disgusting ostentation and hypocritical dogma.

Hell, I actually believe Jesus existed. I also believe he would have puked his pious guts out if he could see what the Catholic Church has become.

Shaid
06-05-2009, 03:44 PM
How does that excuse Catholicism for getting in bed with government?

It's irreparable damage, if you ask me. The Catholic Church was built upon lies and bullshit. Just because it doesn't launch bloody, immoral crusades anymore doesn't mean it's the light of the world. It's still steeped in meaningless ritual, disgusting ostentation and hypocritical dogma.

Hell, I actually believe Jesus existed. I also believe he would have puked his pious guts out if he could see what the Catholic Church has become.

Is this a discussion on stem cell research or just a bash religion thread? It's funny how someone can be so upset about things that happened hundreds of years before they were even born. We could call tons of governaments throughout the world corrupt and immoral. I don't think of the German people as an evil race because thier government did awful things just 70 years ago. You used those atrocities as an example against the church but does that make you hate Germans as well since their government is the one who actually committed these acts? Are German people forever doomed because some of their people made awful decisions at some point in their past? How about someone whose father or grandfather committed murder? Should everyone in the person's family forever be punished because an ancestor did something awful. People change, governments change, and yes, even churches change. Sometimes the change is very slow but it does happen. I see a lot of good that is done in this world by christians and much of what they do is organized within their churches - Catholic or otherwise.

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Is this a discussion on stem cell research or just a bash religion thread? It's funny how someone can be so upset about things that happened hundreds of years before they were even born. We could call tons of governaments throughout the world corrupt and immoral. I don't think of the German people as an evil race because thier government did awful things just 70 years ago. You used those atrocities as an example against the church but does that make you hate Germans as well since their government is the one who actually committed these acts? Are German people forever doomed because some of their people made awful decisions at some point in their past? How about someone whose father or grandfather committed murder? Should everyone in the person's family forever be punished because an ancestor did something awful. People change, governments change, and yes, even churches change. Sometimes the change is very slow but it does happen. I see a lot of good that is done in this world by christians and much of what they do is organized within their churches - Catholic or otherwise.

the church is supposed to be timeless

Shaid
06-05-2009, 03:52 PM
the church is supposed to be timeless

The only thing timeless is God.

Hammock Parties
06-05-2009, 03:55 PM

Stop bringing up government. You're just deflecting.

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 03:57 PM

orly

DaKCMan AP
06-05-2009, 03:57 PM

And DaKCMan AP's Awesomeness.

Hammock Parties
06-05-2009, 03:59 PM

Do you plan to live forever?

I think at least you'll be the hottest old man on the block.

This is DAKCMANAP in 50 years:

http://www.adhaiku.com/images/dosequis_interesting.jpg

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 04:00 PM

scs

DaKCMan AP
06-05-2009, 04:02 PM
Do you plan to live forever?

Yes. So far so good.

Hammock Parties
06-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Yes. So far so good.

What if you aged and became hideous?

Could you live in a world where the mirror reflected such atrocity?

Demonpenz
06-05-2009, 04:05 PM
What if you aged and became hideous?

Could you live in a world where the mirror reflected such atrocity?

meh he survived viewing tebow's throwing motion

Pioli Zombie
06-05-2009, 04:15 PM
strawmen arguement

Who is this strawman?
Is it Ray Bolger?
Posted via Mobile Device

Pioli Zombie
06-05-2009, 04:23 PM
I love when people equate Christianity with Nazi Germany.

Yeah, a lot of Christians have been throwing children up in the air and catching them with bayonettes lately.

A lot of Christians are sending whole families including women and children into gas chambers.

With some people you could fly a plane into a building or traffic cocaine into an elementary school and there's SOME redeeming quality to be found in you

JUST DONT BE A CHRISTIAN. THEYVE RUINED THE WORLD.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
06-05-2009, 04:28 PM
I love when people equate Christianity with Nazi Germany.

Well, hell...

http://liberalslikechrist.org/NaziPriestsSaluteHitler.jpg

Shaid
06-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Yes, Catholic priests and Nazi's were great friends.

http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/imt/tgmwc/tgmwc-08/tgmwc-08-69-06.shtml

Catholic priests were among the thousands of Czech patriots arrested and sent to concentration camps as hostages. Venerable church dignitaries were dragged to concentration camps in Germany. On the road near the concentration camps it was a common thing to see a priest dressed in rags, exhausted, pulling a cart, and behind him a youth in SS uniform, whip in hand."
The believers and clergy in Poland also suffered most ruthless persecution. I quote short excerpts from the Polish Government Report, which the members of the Tribunal will find on Page 10 of the document book:-
"By January, 1941, about 700 priests were killed; 3,000 were in prisons or in concentration camps."
The persecution of the clergy began immediately after the capture of Polish territory by the Germans. According to Page 42 of the Polish Report:-
"The day after the occupation of Warsaw the Germans arrested some 330 priests. In Cracow the closest collaborators of Archbishop Monsignor Sapicha were arrested and sent to Germany. The Rev. Canon Czaplicki, 75 years of age, and his assistant, were executed in November, 1939."

Hammock Parties
06-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Too bad they weren't all so upstanding, eh?

Reerun_KC
06-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Too bad they weren't all so upstanding, eh?

Pot? Meet Kettle...

Hammock Parties
06-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Are you calling me a freaking Nazi?

Reerun_KC
06-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Are you calling me a freaking Nazi?

Basically, I think you have the morals of one at times....

Hammock Parties
06-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Basically, I think you have the morals of one at times....

I'm down with Judaism, sorry. One of the religions that doesn't forbid premarital sex, for instance.

bowener
06-05-2009, 09:17 PM

Which combined with their (and most other christian religions) overwhelming support of in vitro fertilization makes no fucking sense.

If you're going to oppose something like embryonic stem cells, at least first understand how something like IVF fucking works.

If you are lucky enough to have IVF stick on the first try (something like 18% chance or lower), then all the other hundreds to thousands of EMBRYOS that were fertilized sit for 6 months in cold storage (unless you choose to donate--which barely anyone does), then they INCENERATE hundreds to thousands of fertilized EMBRYOS... which is to say that they burn hundreds to thousands of humans to death (that is, if you accept the absurd position that 56 cells constitute a human being).

But, hey, that takes time to learn something, and that is much harder than opposing something you know nothing about and can most likely cure you or some family member of a fucking disease that your God so lovingly allowed them to have... thank you Jesus and God, for gracing my mother with parkinson's. Fuckin' dick bags.

Discuss Thrower
06-05-2009, 09:54 PM
Which combined with their (and most other christian religions) overwhelming support of in vitro fertilization makes no ****ing sense.

If you're going to oppose something like embryonic stem cells, at least first understand how something like IVF ****ing works.

If you are lucky enough to have IVF stick on the first try (something like 18% chance or lower), then all the other hundreds to thousands of EMBRYOS that were fertilized sit for 6 months in cold storage (unless you choose to donate--which barely anyone does), then they INCENERATE hundreds to thousands of fertilized EMBRYOS... which is to say that they burn hundreds to thousands of humans to death (that is, if you accept the absurd position that 56 cells constitute a human being).

But, hey, that takes time to learn something, and that is much harder than opposing something you know nothing about and can most likely cure you or some family member of a ****ing disease that your God so lovingly allowed them to have... thank you Jesus and God, for gracing my mother with parkinson's. ****in' dick bags.

AFAIK, the official Catholic doctrine is opposed to in vitro purely for that reason.

Just Passin' By
06-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Which combined with their (and most other christian religions) overwhelming support of in vitro fertilization makes no ****ing sense.

If you're going to oppose something like embryonic stem cells, at least first understand how something like IVF ****ing works.

But, hey, that takes time to learn something, and that is much harder than opposing something you know nothing about and can most likely cure you or some family member of a ****ing disease that your God so lovingly allowed them to have... thank you Jesus and God, for gracing my mother with parkinson's. ****in' dick bags.

1.) The Catholic Church does not oppose stem cell research. It opposes EMBRYONIC stem cell research, which is but a subset of stem cell research.

2.) The Catholic Church opposes IVF.

Some info on stem cell research:

Have human embryonic stem cells been used successfully to treat any human diseases yet?
Scientists have only been able to do experiments with human embryonic stem cells (hESCs) since 1998, when a group led by Dr. James Thomson at the University of Wisconsin developed a technique to isolate and grow the cells. Although hESCs are thought to offer potential cures and therapies for many devastating diseases, research using them is still in its early stages.

In late January 2009, the California-based company Geron received FDA clearance to begin the first human clinical trial of cells derived from human embryonic stem cells.

* Read the Geron press release

Adult stem cells such as blood-forming stem cells in bone marrow (called hematopoietic stem cells, or HSCs) are currently the only type of stem cell commonly used to treat human diseases. Doctors have been transferring HSCs in bone marrow transplants for over 40 years and advances in techniques of collecting, or "harvesting" HSCs have been made. HSCs are now used to reconstitute the immune system after leukemia, lymphoma, or various blood or autoimmune disorders have been treated with chemotherapy.

The clinical potential of adult stem cells has also been demonstrated in the treatment of other human diseases that include diabetes and advanced kidney cancer. However, these newer uses have involved studies with a very limited number of patients.

http://stemcells.nih.gov/StemCells/Templates/StemCellContentPage.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID={A604DCCE-2E5F-4395-8954-FCE1C05BECED}&NRORIGINALURL=%2finfo%2ffaqs.asp&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest#besttype

Also, your complaint and the assertions in it run counter to recent poll data:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/117154/catholics-similar-mainstream-abortion-stem-cells.aspx

Catholics in American Society are mostly very poor followers of their religion.

Coach
06-05-2009, 10:49 PM
Yet, when does Catholics matter anyways? If they can't control their own perverted priests, ministers, etc, they should have no say in this situation.

BigMeatballDave
06-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Yet, when does Catholics matter anyways? If they can't control their own perverted priests, ministers, etc, they should have no say in this situation.As far as the Vatacan is concerned, no alter boy was ever touched.

joesomebody
06-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Until they start reaching into proud pregnant women's nether regions with coat hangers and pulling out future senators and doctors, I am for stem-cell research. Sorry, but if you are already planning on getting an abortion (which is legal) then why not help others. This is no different than an organ donor in my opinion.

I am not pro-abortion. If it was my child, I would take the woman to court before I would allow my child to be aborted (if the man has any rights at all, I'm not sure) but there is a difference. That is my child, not someone else's. If they feel the need/desire for an abortion, then it is none of my damn business.

I don't want children at this point in my life, and have had more than one scare, but abortion is wrong in my personal opinion. My opinion doesn't get to influence other people though and that is what America was built on.

Coach
06-06-2009, 01:20 AM
As far as the Vatacan is concerned, no alter boy was ever touched.

And as far as I'm concerned, the Vatacan is irrevelent.

Bwana
06-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Great news, I think you will start to see a lot of changes for the good in the near future.

patteeu
06-06-2009, 07:54 AM

No they aren't. They oppose embryonic stem cell research, but this thread is a completely different type of stem cell research and Catholics don't have a problem with it.

patteeu
06-06-2009, 08:09 AM

No they don't. Only the ones that conflate the two like you did.

patteeu
06-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Oops. I just realized that this is a multipage thread and I'm way behind. Sorry about the reposts.

patteeu
06-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Yet, when does Catholics matter anyways? If they can't control their own perverted priests, ministers, etc, they should have no say in this situation.

:spock: I assume you're a real life coach. If one of your players gets in trouble at school or with the law, does that mean that you should no longer have any say in matters of good behavior?

Braincase
06-06-2009, 09:17 AM
As far as the Vatacan is concerned, no alter boy was ever touched.

Not true, and the Church has taken steps to prevent paedophilia. Also, it might shock some to discover that the Catholic Church wasn't the only church to ever have a problem with such things. Any time you have a structure or organization that serves as a mechanism for garnering power, some will abuse that power. We can see that every day in local, state and federal government.

But on a sarcastic note, whenever I want information about what's going on with my church, I'll be sure to post a query on this board. Seems like we have a lot of self-appointed experts.

Mr. Krab
06-06-2009, 10:50 AM
I believe gene therapy and stem cell type treatments are THE future of the medical profession. The only real question is whether or not we can do it without killing most of us and turning the rest into a bunch of 3-eyed mutants.

BigMeatballDave
06-07-2009, 12:19 PM
And as far as I'm concerned, the Vatacan is irrevelent.
Could not agree more...

BigMeatballDave
06-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Not true, and the Church has taken steps to prevent paedophilia. If by 'taken steps to prevent' you mean, 'cover up', then I agree...

Braincase
06-07-2009, 12:41 PM
If by 'taken steps to prevent' you mean, 'cover up', then I agree...

There is no question that there was a cover up in the past. The archbishop in Boston was very active in keeping things hushed up. That said, there has been a proactive program in the Catholic church to help identify pedophiles and keep them away from our kids. It's called the Veritas program, and I've gone through it as part of my certification as a volunteer coach.

I'm surprised you weren't aware of it.

Rain Man
06-07-2009, 12:57 PM
I believe gene therapy and stem cell type treatments are THE future of the medical profession. The only real question is whether or not we can do it without killing most of us and turning the rest into a bunch of 3-eyed mutants.

Which would also solve blindness.