PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink The RNR beer review tour 2009

RNR
06-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Ok I was shamed into trying something new. I have tried different beers over the years but none have made me think wow! this is great! this my new favorite beer. I will embark on a quest!

The RNR beer review tour 2009 begins today! I had some running around to do and purchased a six pack of Boulevard Wheat "unfiltered". I am almost finished with my first one and am happy to report That it is smooth with no after taste and not too pricey. It also does not require a bottle opener which is a plus! I will post updates and suggestions are welcome.

I am sorry to inform the big three that I will not be drinking their main products during this tour. I will review their custom beers (Land Shark and the like) :toast:

Reaper16
06-07-2009, 02:55 PM
I am happy for you. This is a great day in beer advocacy. :clap:

XXXshogunXXX
06-07-2009, 03:13 PM
do they have any russian river where youre at? im recommending that. Pliny the elder, or younger if you can find it.

Reaper16
06-07-2009, 03:45 PM
do they have any russian river where youre at? im recommending that. Pliny the elder, or younger if you can find it.
He does not need to start with something that hoppy. The man is just now embarking on moving past adjunct lagers.

RNR
06-07-2009, 04:33 PM
He does not need to start with something that hoppy. The man is just now embarking on moving past adjunct lagers.

It is rumored you are a beer expert. So what do you suggest?

StcChief
06-07-2009, 04:59 PM
If your on left coast hard to tell what Wheat is available....

Midwest/Mountain.. try Shiner Hefewiesen slightly lighter than BLVD Wheat.
good value.

hoppy Try Sierra Neveda Pale Ale....

KC - STL area
Schlafly APA or No.15 very good.
BLVD Single Wide Pale Ale is also good..

try BLVD Pale Ale .

Really like the new Schlafly Summer Lager (Helles Munich style).

Let the Colorado boy fill you in on their local stuff beside NewBelgium. which IMO has some good beer besides FatTire.
1554 IMO is their best.

RNR
06-07-2009, 05:04 PM
If your on left coast hard to tell what Wheat is available....

Midwest/Mountain.. try Shiner Hefewiesen slightly lighter than BLVD Wheat.
good value.

hoppy Try Sierra Neveda Pale Ale....

KC - STL area
Schlafly APA or No.15 very good.
BLVD Single Wide Pale Ale is also good..

try BLVD Pale Ale .

Really like the new Schlafly Summer Lager (Helles Munich style).

Let the Colorado boy fill you in on their local stuff beside NewBelgium. which IMO has some good beer besides FatTire.
1554 IMO is their best.

I live in Wichita Kansas

Reaper16
06-07-2009, 05:14 PM
It is rumored you are a beer expert. So what do you suggest?
Stc's post was good advice. Try some pale ales; Sierra Nevada, Boulevard, etc. Also, give dark beers (stout, porter) a shot.

Honestly, the beers that Boulevard bottles in six-packs are all good introductions to their respective styles.

Saulbadguy
06-07-2009, 05:15 PM
I live in Wichita Kansas

My advice would go to one of the three Old Chicago's in Wichita, KS. Begin the World Beer Tour. The bartenders there are usually pretty knowledgeable, and you will get free shit for trying new beers.

I've completed 3 WBT's so far - it's how i've discovered a good variety of beers I enjoy.

Dottefan
06-07-2009, 08:14 PM
I just baught a 12 pack friday...my new favorite beer.

Pants
06-07-2009, 10:10 PM
If you're gonna go, go all the way. Odells IPA is where it's at. Spaeten Optimator is good flavor as well. Too many beers, too little time.

Toadkiller
06-07-2009, 10:14 PM
The person who suggested Russian River is right on! Anything by them is friggen amazing. Pliney the Elder and Younger is fantastic.

DaFace
06-07-2009, 10:30 PM
As for Colorado, the main ones that I think distribute in KS are New Belgium, O'Dells, and Boulder Beer. I'm a local beer nut, so I like pretty much anything those three put out, but New Belgium is known for Fat Tire, so make sure that gets on your list. O'Dells makes a great wheat, but I still prefer Boulevard if I can find it. I love Boulder Beer's Buffalo Gold ale, and their Hazed and Infused is a great brew if you want something hoppy.

Good luck on your tour!

RNR
06-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Big mistake! I tried Guinness Draught :Lin: The best description would be something along the lines of rancid pond water. Although I have never tasted rancid pond water that is what I would imagine it would taste like :shake: PBR just moved up one rung on the worst beer chart. Undaunted the tour moves on!

Saulbadguy
06-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Big mistake! I tried Guinness Draught :Lin: The best description would be something along the lines of rancid pond water. Although I have never tasted rancid pond water that is what I would imagine it would taste like :shake: PBR just moved up one rung on the worst beer chart. Undaunted the tour moves on!

Not a beer to start out on, IMO.

DaFace
06-09-2009, 03:40 PM

Stouts take a lot of getting used to. Compare it to the first time you drank coffee. Some people go on to love it while others never develop a taste for it.

JuicesFlowing
06-09-2009, 03:44 PM

If you don't like Guinness then you should forget about trying any other stout. Pretty much all of them are good, but you won't like them if you can't get past Guinness.

Whoarethechefs
06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
If you can get it in you neck O' the woods....GET IT! A little bit of Humboldt in every bottle ;)

BigVE
06-09-2009, 03:49 PM
If you don't like Guinness then you should forget about trying any other stout. Pretty much all of them are good, but you won't like them if you can't get past Guinness.

Eh, for the most part I agree with you. I'm not a Guinness fan overall but I can handle one occasionally. On the other hand I had an oatmeal stout last summer that was pretty darn good...for a stout. They vary a bit in taste but most stouts are...stout tasting.

RNR
06-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Does this mean I have to turn in my man card?

Stouts take a lot of getting used to. Compare it to the first time you drank coffee. Some people go on to love it while others never develop a taste for it.
I may be too old to develop a taste for anything.

Not a beer to start out on, IMO.

This may be tougher than I thought!

BigVE
06-09-2009, 03:50 PM
For what its worth RNR....Boulevard Wheat is one of my top 3 or 4 favorites.

RNR
06-09-2009, 03:53 PM
For what its worth RNR....Boulevard Wheat is one of my top 3 or 4 favorites.
I must admit I do like it.

RJ
06-09-2009, 03:54 PM
My son the beer snob likes the IPA's. He left a few in the refrigerator last time he came to visit. I tried one. Just one. A bit overwhelming for my tastes.

On the plus side, I used a bottle in some sauerkraut with spareribs and another bottle as a brisket marinade, so I suppose they can be put to good use.

JuicesFlowing
06-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Does this mean I have to turn in my man card?

I may be too old to develop a taste for anything.

This may be tougher than I thought!

No, not at all. Stouts are just an acquired taste. Daface said it pretty good. Just keep trying different things and you'll get a pretty good idea of what you like.

BigVE
06-09-2009, 03:59 PM
My son the beer snob likes the IPA's. He left a few in the refrigerator last time he came to visit. I tried one. Just one. A bit overwhelming for my tastes.

On the plus side, I used a bottle in some sauerkraut with spareribs and another bottle as a brisket marinade, so I suppose they can be put to good use.

LOL, that's where most of my wife's Guinness ends up. She gets mad at me when she goes into the fridge and all the "good" beer is gone. hehe

BigVE
06-09-2009, 04:01 PM
RNR, may I recommend any of the "New Belgium" brand of beers...my favorite is "Tripel" ale. It has a higher alcohol content than most beers but besides that it tastes very good IMO. They have a stronger one called "1554" that isn't bad.

DaFace
06-09-2009, 04:21 PM

Like stouts, IPA's are not what you want to start with when venturing into the world of craft beers. Most people don't like the hoppiness at first, so it's best to start out with others and work your way into them.

Wheat beers are very easy to start with, as are your more basic ales. Try a variety of those to see what you like, then gradually move into the pale ales, stouts, porters, etc.

Buehler445
06-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Like stouts, IPA's are not what you want to start with when venturing into the world of craft beers. Most people don't like the hoppiness at first, so it's best to start out with others and work your way into them.

Wheat beers are very easy to start with, as are your more basic ales. Try a variety of those to see what you like, then gradually move into the pale ales, stouts, porters, etc.

This. Start light and get progressively heavier.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-09-2009, 06:11 PM
If you like Blvd wheat, try New Belgium's 'Fat Tire Ale' sometime soon. It's a nice 'amber ale' or 'red ale', depending on who's talking. It will be priced like Blvd, but does require a bottle opener. Shouldn't be too much hops or too much roasted malt or anything. Just a nice brew from a very nice little CO brewery. Pale Ales and IPA's have a lot more hops than these ambers, stouts have a lot more roast to their malt. Might take some working up to those. Meahwhile, lots of good brew in the middle. Nothing wrong with that.

RNR
06-09-2009, 06:48 PM
If you like Blvd wheat, try New Belgium's 'Fat Tire Ale' sometime soon. It's a nice 'amber ale' or 'red ale', depending on who's talking. It will be priced like Blvd, but does require a bottle opener. Shouldn't be too much hops or too much roasted malt or anything. Just a nice brew from a very nice little CO brewery. Pale Ales and IPA's have a lot more hops than these ambers, stouts have a lot more roast to their malt. Might take some working up to those. Meahwhile, lots of good brew in the middle. Nothing wrong with that.

I will take this advice as it seems to be the general path suggested. I will however heed this from one of the good guys and one of my favorite posters.

RNR
06-23-2009, 04:03 PM
I have been on a Boulevard Wheat kick for a while. My son was home for mid tour leave (spent fathers day with my son very cool :))He turned me on to Widmer Hefeweizen. It is better than Boulevard IMO. I like wheat beer and will still be trying different types of beers but I do not care for lager or stout beer. I will most likely stick with the lighter stuff.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-24-2009, 03:59 PM
You might try the new Boulevard Pilsner, it just hit the shelves in KC yesterday. I thought it was tasty. Disappears like magic. Poof, all gone, time to pour another.

Saulbadguy
06-24-2009, 04:04 PM
You might try the new Boulevard Pilsner, it just hit the shelves in KC yesterday. I thought it was tasty. Disappears like magic. Poof, all gone, time to pour another.

Wow, might have to try that.

Phobia
06-24-2009, 04:23 PM
If you're going to try an IPA you have to start with a clear palate and drink 2 of them. The punch in the mouth disappears on the 2nd.

But I'm not much for stouts either. If you mix a Black & Tan (Guinness and Bass) it become tolerable.

Dartgod
06-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Awesome! I've been excited that Boulevard has been expanding their line of beers lately. Singlewide IPA, the Smokestack series and now this.

What is the name of it, BTW? I don't see anything on their website. I'll have to pick up a sixer.

KC Dan
06-24-2009, 05:09 PM
I have been on a Boulevard Wheat kick for a while. My son was home for mid tour leave (spent fathers day with my son very cool :))He turned me on to Widmer Hefeweizen. It is better than Boulevard IMO. I like wheat beer and will still be trying different types of beers but I do not care for lager or stout beer. I will most likely stick with the lighter stuff.
Can't get Boulevard here locally in the NW but the Widmer is damned good. Drink it all the time...In fact, my son polished off my last 12 pack. Gotta rectify that on the way home.

Dartgod
06-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Can't get Boulevard here locally in the NW but the Widmer is damned good. Drink it all the time...In fact, my son polished off my last 12 pack. Gotta rectify that on the way home.
And then you can rectify it permanently when you get home. May I suggest antifreeze?

RNR
06-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Tried another wheat beer named Tall Grass uh.......not so good! Could not get past the after taste.

Frazod
06-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Have you tried the Hacker Pschorr Weiss yet?

Shag
06-24-2009, 05:21 PM

Eh, not sure I agree with that. I like stouts in general, but not Guinness - tastes watered down to me...

Dartgod
06-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Gesundheit!

RNR
06-24-2009, 05:26 PM

No but I will make it a point to!

Shag
06-24-2009, 05:26 PM
As others have mentioned here, start with the lighter beers - if you jump right into the bigger beers, you may get soured on them and not be able to enjoy them later, when you can appreciate them.

Stick with pale ales, amber/red ales, wheat/weiss beers for the summer, maybe a lighter brown or two. Once fall starts to roll around, I'd start branching out to IPAs, Bocks, Belgians, etc. I'd stay away from the stouts for a while - those usually take the longest to get a taste for...

If you can get Bell's, you should try Oberon. It's a wheat beer with a little more kick/spice - one of my favorite summer beers.

Frazod
06-24-2009, 05:27 PM
No but I will make it a point to!

I think I'll make a point to have one right now! :BLVD:

Frazod
06-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Fuck, I'm out of Hacker. :cuss:

I guess I'll have to have a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

RNR
06-24-2009, 05:34 PM
As others have mentioned here, start with the lighter beers - if you jump right into the bigger beers, you may get soured on them and not be able to enjoy them later, when you can appreciate them.

Stick with pale ales, amber/red ales, wheat/weiss beers for the summer, maybe a lighter brown or two. Once fall starts to roll around, I'd start branching out to IPAs, Bocks, Belgians, etc. I'd stay away from the stouts for a while - those usually take the longest to get a taste for...

If you can get Bell's, you should try Oberon. It's a wheat beer with a little more kick/spice - one of my favorite summer beers.

This is the advice most have given. I guess if I looked out the window right now just like the comercial with the mop a bottle of Bud Light is singing "don't you love me baby"

Dartgod
06-24-2009, 05:35 PM
****, I'm out of Hacker. :cuss:

I guess I'll have to have a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.
Blech!

I like about all Sam Adams brews, but this was one I just couldn't warm up to.

Frazod
06-24-2009, 05:38 PM
Blech!

I like about all Sam Adams brews, but this was one I just couldn't warm up to.

It's got that nasty Sam Adams aftertaste, but other than that it's pretty good.

I wonder what causes that aftertaste? Sam Adams would be the best beer in the universe if it wasn't for that.

Reaper16
06-24-2009, 06:06 PM
But I'm not much for stouts either. If you mix a Black & Tan (Guinness and Bass) it become tolerable.
:(

Fish
06-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Tried another wheat beer named Tall Grass uh.......not so good! Could not get past the after taste.

hehe... That's made in Manhattan, KS...

RNR
06-24-2009, 06:12 PM
hehe... That's made in Manhattan, KS...

It tastes so bad I think I will root for KU :)

Phobia
06-24-2009, 06:13 PM
:(

I know you're disappointed. Me too. But that's why there's thousands of choices out there. There will never be a shortage of beverages I enjoy.

Reaper16
06-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Its not just you, either. That beer is flat-out nasty.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Awesome! I've been excited that Boulevard has been expanding their line of beers lately. Singlewide IPA, the Smokestack series and now this.

What is the name of it, BTW? I don't see anything on their website. I'll have to pick up a sixer.

It's called Boulevard Pilsner. Only available in longneck 6packs currently.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_M54XLqjBLNg/SkLPznhuWgI/AAAAAAAABRI/UeCR184CdXo/s400/Boulevard+Pilsner.jpg

ETA- Boulevard likes to make beer but seems to hate updating their webpages. I found some info at Facebook's Boulevard page, plus a few local beer-bloggers:

http://tinyurl.com/mjylfo

http://kcbeerblog.blogspot.com/

1moreTRich
06-25-2009, 01:36 PM
I love beer and brew my own, but a few easily available beers with likable styles.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - One of the best American Pale Ales, I like it a bit warmer than normal fridge temperatures.
New Castle Brown - Northern Brown Ale, light and malty, not the best brown out there but easy to find and easy drinking.
Boddingtons - English Pub Ale/English Pale Ale - Uses the nitrous for the creamy head and mouth feel, very drinkable.
Hoegaarden White Ale - Another Belgian Wheat like the Tallgrass Wheat, but one of my favorites so I had to throw it in.
Rouge Dead Guy Ale - Maibock/Amber - This one might be a test for you, very complex, with good malt flavor and some hops. One of my all time favorites.
Titan IPA - A very nice IPA if you want to venture this direction.
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout - I have posted this before, but before you write off stouts for good, try this one.

If you want to start going head strong into this, and since you are in Wichita, go to Goebel Liquor on West street. They have a couple of guys in there that know their beer and can point you in better direction than myself. I guess I am in the minority to say, try everything, you never know what will hit your taste buds. I was scared to try my first IPA, but something about it clicked with me and now it is probably one of my favorite styles.

Happy drinking

Dartgod
06-25-2009, 01:57 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_M54XLqjBLNg/SkLPznhuWgI/AAAAAAAABRI/UeCR184CdXo/s400/Boulevard+Pilsner.jpg

ETA- Boulevard likes to make beer but seems to hate updating their webpages. I found some info at Facebook's Boulevard page, plus a few local beer-bloggers:

Cool. I'll have to stop by Lukas on the way home and see if its in stock.

Marcellus
06-25-2009, 02:33 PM

I went to Boulevard Brewery last Saturday and had the Pilsner in their tasting room. Good stuff! I am looking forward to it. They said it wasn't releasing until the 4th, I will check and see if I can find some around here.

MOhillbilly
06-25-2009, 03:39 PM

I gotta kill ya johnny.

Reaper16
06-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Guinness is pretty bad. Don't let that be the only stout that you try, though. Pretty much every stout ever is better than Guinness.

Reaper16
06-25-2009, 03:42 PM
I love beer and brew my own, but a few easily available beers with likable styles.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - One of the best American Pale Ales, I like it a bit warmer than normal fridge temperatures.
New Castle Brown - Northern Brown Ale, light and malty, not the best brown out there but easy to find and easy drinking.
Boddingtons - English Pub Ale/English Pale Ale - Uses the nitrous for the creamy head and mouth feel, very drinkable.
Hoegaarden White Ale - Another Belgian Wheat like the Tallgrass Wheat, but one of my favorites so I had to throw it in.
Rouge Dead Guy Ale - Maibock/Amber - This one might be a test for you, very complex, with good malt flavor and some hops. One of my all time favorites.
Youngs Double Chocolate Stout - I have posted this before, but before you write off stouts for good, try this one.

Hell Yeah!

bulldogg
06-25-2009, 03:44 PM

Youngs Double Chocolate Stout - I have posted this before, but before you write off stouts for good, try this one

I am also a brewer and second Hoegaarden(who-garten) for a wheat as well as Boddy pub ale for those who do not like the extreme hop flavor. You could also begin drinking New Castle or Shiner Bock as they are good transition beers.Personally, I am a huge fan of Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada but they are pretty hoppy...and Murphys stout too, god I love beer. good luck.

MOhillbilly
06-25-2009, 03:48 PM
I am also a brewer and second Hoegaarden(who-garten) for a wheat as well as Boddy pub ale for those who do not like the extreme hop flavor. You could also begin drinking New Castle or Shiner Bock as they are good transition beers.Personally, I am a huge fan of Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada but they are pretty hoppy...and Murphys stout too, god I love beer. good luck.

Im a fan of all of those suggestions esp. Sierra Nevada i must have a hundred SN Porter containers stapled up in the shop.

Reaper16
06-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Im a fan of all of those suggestions esp. Sierra Nevada i must have a hundred SN Porter containers stapled up in the shop.
:thumb:

1moreTRich
06-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Do you brew Reaper?

JuicesFlowing
06-25-2009, 04:07 PM
www.thebeermag.com probably one of the better beer magazines out there. The actual magazine is better than the online version.

RNR
06-25-2009, 04:18 PM

If you want to start going head strong into this, and since you are in Wichita, go to Goebel Liquor on West street. They have a couple of guys in there that know their beer and can point you in better direction than myself. I guess I am in the minority to say, try everything, you never know what will hit your taste buds. I was scared to try my first IPA, but something about it clicked with me and now it is probably one of my favorite styles.

Happy drinking

I have admitted I am new to this fancy beer thing but one thing I doubt I will ever like is warm beer! I will take mine ice cold! :) Warm beer that is crazy talk!

Reaper16
06-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Do you brew Reaper?
No, just drink. Homebrewing is something that I plan to get into after grad school, though.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-25-2009, 05:34 PM
For you home-brew folk:

http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2009/06/irish_fest_holding_a_stout_bre.php

RNR - chill and swill, amigo.

Saulbadguy
06-26-2009, 07:02 AM
Guinness is pretty bad. Don't let that be the only stout that you try, though. Pretty much every stout ever is better than Guinness.

I'll agree with that, except that I don't think Guinness is bad.

1moreTRich
06-26-2009, 08:23 AM
I have admitted I am new to this fancy beer thing but one thing I doubt I will ever like is warm beer! I will take mine ice cold! :) Warm beer that is crazy talk!

Ha Ha, well us fancy beer fans know that having ice cold beer can kill a lot of the flavor that is in the beer, and in some cases make the beer seem really unbalanced. I'm not talking room temperature or warm beer, just after you pull it out of the fridge let it sit a couple of minutes, or just drink it slow and see the difference between the first drink and the last drink.

Dartgod
06-27-2009, 04:20 PM

Found this at my local HyVee store and drank a sixer last night. One of my favorites from Boulevard now. Very tasty!

:BLVD: :thumb:

JuicesFlowing
06-27-2009, 04:36 PM

Temperature is important for certain beers. The stronger, tastier beers are better at 45 degrees as opposed to 34 degrees. The lighter beers (pilsners) are better colder. But the use of the word "warm" is a bit dramatic. Nobody drinks warm beer. I heard that before I went to England. Every beer I had was cold enough ...

irishjayhawk
06-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Anyone know if the Pilsner is at Lukas?

And I thought it wasn't supposed to be released until July... Oh well, I'm not complaining (unless I can't find some).

As for my beer tour, I'm starting up kind of. I wasn't able to drink during college (dr.'s orders, though then it turns out that my second opinion doc was like "that's a myth" so whatevs) so I'm continuing my tasting at a bit more accelerated pace. I've always been a heavy beer lover and cannot fathom drinking most lite beers.

Last night to kick it off I had:

Goose Island's Summertime
Trout Slayer from Missoula, Montana. I can't recall the brewery right now.

Reaper16
06-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Anyone know if the Pilsner is at Lukas?

And I thought it wasn't supposed to be released until July... Oh well, I'm not complaining (unless I can't find some).

As for my beer tour, I'm starting up kind of. I wasn't able to drink during college (dr.'s orders, though then it turns out that my second opinion doc was like "that's a myth" so whatevs) so I'm continuing my tasting at a bit more accelerated pace. I've always been a heavy beer lover and cannot fathom drinking most lite beers.

Last night to kick it off I had:

Goose Island's Summertime
Trout Slayer from Missoula, Montana. I can't recall the brewery right now.
Lukas would definitely have it, seeing as even Hy-Vee's are carrying it right now.

Big Sky is the brewer of Trout Slayer (which has to be one of my very favorite name/packaging combos in all of craft beer. I haven't tried it, though. Any good?)

irishjayhawk
06-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Lukas would definitely have it, seeing as even Hy-Vee's are carrying it right now.

Big Sky is the brewer of Trout Slayer (which has to be one of my very favorite name/packaging combos in all of craft beer. I haven't tried it, though. Any good?)

I typically favor heavier beers so their Moose Drool seems like it should be a better fit. And I'm hit or miss on Ales because they're so rangy.

That said, Trout Slayer was delicious. I loved it. Ditto on the name.

irishjayhawk
06-27-2009, 06:43 PM
I just picked up Pilsner and decided I'd try that first. It's about as light as I'd go, honestly, but it's absolutely delicious.

bdeg
06-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Great advice and picks here, much appreciated.

I gotta agree with the Hoegaarden recommendation, even for an inexperienced palate.
Time to walk to the liquor store :)

BigOlChiefsfan
06-28-2009, 01:09 PM
I've seen Blvd Pilsner in every KC area liquor store I've checked this weekend, altho it might not be on the cooler shelf with the other Blvd products. I've had to go into the big beer coolers twice to find a cold six. (I enjoyed the hell out of walking around in there in the cold and hated to leave both times.)

StcChief
06-28-2009, 01:33 PM
new Pilsner from BLVD will look for this, more of an Ale fan.

BigOlChiefsfan
06-28-2009, 02:40 PM
FWIW, I probably drink 5 ales to every lager. That said, I still like my Czech pilsners, german lagers...and this Blvd pilsner. It may not be everyone's cuppa tea, but I find it tasty. And next I find it's all gone. I've never had a beer that disappears this fast.

JuicesFlowing
06-28-2009, 06:21 PM
My advice would go to one of the three Old Chicago's in Wichita, KS. Begin the World Beer Tour. The bartenders there are usually pretty knowledgeable, and you will get free shit for trying new beers.

I've completed 3 WBT's so far - it's how i've discovered a good variety of beers I enjoy.

I advise going to one of the Goebel Liquor stores. They have the best selection in town. Jacob Liquor Exchange is good as well.

tmax63
06-28-2009, 07:19 PM
I drank warm beers in Germany. Small guest house in Nurenburg kept a pan of water sitting on the oil heater in the winter. A warm Heffe Weissen on a cold evening was pretty tasty. And Ilios's daughter was a cutie to boot.

Reaper16
06-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Boulevard Pilsner: pretty darn good session beer. Nice, balanced, easy-drinking lager.

DaFace
06-28-2009, 08:29 PM
I just got home from the Colorado Brewers Festival in Fort Collins. That was a whole lot of awesome to be crammed in one little area.

I don't necessarily have any recommendations based on it (most of the participating breweries have either already been mentioned or don't ship out of Colorado), but it was a good time. This just didn't really deserve its own thread, so I figured I'd share in here.

irishjayhawk
06-28-2009, 08:55 PM
I just got home from the Colorado Brewers Festival in Fort Collins. That was a whole lot of awesome to be crammed in one little area.

I don't necessarily have any recommendations based on it (most of the participating breweries have either already been mentioned or don't ship out of Colorado), but it was a good time. This just didn't really deserve its own thread, so I figured I'd share in here.

Look at this:

After one year of work, each employee receives an ownership stake in the company and a free custom bicycle. After five years every employee enjoys an all-expenses-paid trip to Belgium -- the country whose centuries-old beer tradition serves as a model for the Fort Collins, Colo., brewery. Oh yeah, and employees get two free six-packs of beer a week.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/smallbusiness/0906/gallery.best_small_companies.fsb/3.html

irishjayhawk
06-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Boulevard Pilsner: pretty darn good session beer. Nice, balanced, easy-drinking lager.

Yep. Pretty much my thoughts. It's almost like a beer pong beer for non-lite-beer drinkers. ;)

DaFace
06-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Look at this:

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2009/smallbusiness/0906/gallery.best_small_companies.fsb/3.html

Yup. It's an awesome company. I've toured there twice, and I know a guy who works there.

Reaper16
06-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Yup. It's an awesome company. I've toured there twice, and I know a guy who works there.
Surely you know some inside info, then? Stuff that's coming down the pipe that they haven't put out a press release for yet?

On that matter, ya'll need some inside info regarding Boulevard, you come to me.

DaFace
06-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Surely you know some inside info, then? Stuff that's coming down the pipe that they haven't put out a press release for yet?

On that matter, ya'll need some inside info regarding Boulevard, you come to me.

Ha, not too much aside from knowing the bars in Fort Collins that you can visit if you want to try NBB's "experimental" beers.

StcChief
06-28-2009, 09:52 PM

cool.... the Augusta Brewery Octoberfest is like that for MO / IL craft breweries. except Inbev!/AB and Lemp show up. :)
New Belgium has their beers there as well.

Dartgod
07-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Hacker-Schorr FTW!

Thanks for the tip, Frazod. I really like this stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saulbadguy
07-10-2010, 03:49 PM
I advise going to one of the Goebel Liquor stores. They have the best selection in town. Jacob Liquor Exchange is good as well.

Yeah, not sure about going to a liquor store named "Goebel"
:LOL:

RNR
07-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah, not sure about going to a liquor store named "Goebel"
:LOL:

Well it is kind of suprising to see this thread again LMAO The Goebel family owns or owned a large lumber yard called Star lumber. I think it is one of the sons that runs the liquor store and they have a large inventory. They at one time let you mix and match different beers. I do not know if they still do. As far as my tour I tried several but I guess my taste buds are not as good as other peoples. When thirsty for a beer a ice cold Bud light tastes good to me~

Dartgod
07-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Well it is kind of suprising to see this thread again LMAO
I bumped it because I'm in Chicago this weekend and I remembered that Frazod said he liked Hacker-Schorr. So I picked up a twelver of it yesterday.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
07-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Hacker-Schorr FTW!

Thanks for the tip, Frazod. I really like this stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device

You're welcome. Great stuff. We found a new bar that has it on tap, too. Yummy.

boogblaster
07-12-2010, 09:22 AM
bud in the bottle yesterday .. yummmmy