PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Vrabel's so happy to be a Chief!

MoreLemonPledge
06-07-2009, 02:13 PM
http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/823

Vrabel, for his part, admitted that was "confused" when New England traded him, along with quarterback Matt Cassel, to the Chiefs in early March.

"I’m here. I didn’t sign up. There’s a difference in this league in being a free agent and being traded," Vrabel said. "I don’t know what to tell you. I got a call in March, and here I am.

"Don’t confuse that I’m not excited to be here, because I’m here and I’m happy. ... I want to be here."

Vrabel said he skipped the Chiefs' previous organized team activities because the practices were considered optional, something Vrabel pointed out is a point of emphasis when the players' union negotiates a collective bargaining agreement with the league. He said his absence meant simply that he was complying with his rights as a player under that agreement.

"I was just trying to exercise my rights within the CBA," he said. "I’m happy as heck to be here right now."

Backtracking much? It's pretty obvious he's pissed that he's not in New England anymore.

Oh, and sorry if repost.

petegz28
06-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Dude has made his career and life in NE. I can understand that being here is not high on his list. And I mean being here as in KC. not the Chiefs.

chiefforlife
06-07-2009, 02:17 PM
No one wants to be traded to a rebuilding team when your career has been part of a dynasty. He is a true professional and is doing his job. Anyone being honest about the situation, couldnt ask for more from Mr. Vrabel. I am glad to have him.

Sure-Oz
06-07-2009, 02:21 PM
He'll get over it once the season starts

MoreLemonPledge
06-07-2009, 02:21 PM
No one wants to be traded to a rebuilding team when your career has been part of a dynasty. He is a true professional and is doing his job. Anyone being honest about the situation, couldnt ask for more from Mr. Vrabel. I am glad to have him.

Honesty is good and well, but when he's brought over to be a locker room leader and to set an example, this doesn't bode well.

Fish
06-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I love our new team leaders....

Just Passin' By
06-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Everything will be fine with Vrabel.

chiefforlife
06-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Honesty is good and well, but when he's brought over to be a locker room leader and to set an example, this doesn't bode well.

He showed up when he was supposed to, he is saying all the right things. Haley said he adapted to the scheme very well and has mastered all the drills, already. What else do you want?

SPATCH
06-07-2009, 02:25 PM
ahhhh fuck mike vrabel

KCChiefsMan
06-07-2009, 03:00 PM
lol, why would a guy at the tail end of his career who has won superbowls be excited to join a rebuilding team?

DTLB58
06-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Well, If he is really pissed about it then just retire.

It's not like he has anything to prove or that he is going to earn tons of bucks from here on out to secure his finacial future.

So either play and be a contributor/leader or get the heck out.

Rausch
06-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Like it makes a difference. He'll be gone in a year or two anyway...

chiefs1111
06-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Like it makes a difference. He'll be gone in a year or two anyway...

exactly

Sully
06-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm beginning to doubt he'll ever play a down in the red and gold. Hope I'm wrong, but it's just some weird feeling I get.

kcfanXIII
06-07-2009, 05:14 PM
He'll get over it once the season starts

get over being pissed at being here, or get over being happy to be here?

Micjones
06-07-2009, 05:17 PM
So long as he produces on the field...
Whether or not he's happy to be in Kansas City is inconsequential to me.

WhitiE
06-07-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm beginning to doubt he'll ever play a down in the red and gold. Hope I'm wrong, but it's just some weird feeling I get.

same

OnTheWarpath15
06-07-2009, 05:23 PM

Well, considering all I've heard for the last 3 months is about his leadership qualities, and what a great impact he'll have on the rookies, I expect more.

Nothing screams leading by example more than showing up only when you absolutely have to.

BostonTim
06-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Doubtlessly and understandably he felt betrayed. His contributions here were legendary. And he was totally blindsided. Were I a Chiefs fan I think I'd try to give him a little time to get past it and I'd cut him some slack up til, oh, say, when he gets on the actual field and I could judge him, what, fairly? Objectively?

I WOULD be disappointed that he missed some OTA's, for sure, but I'd cut him a break.

Cheers, BostonTim

MoreLemonPledge
06-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Veterans should know that being traded is all part of the occupation. Vrabel should be thrilled that he got to be with the Pats as long as he did.

Spott
06-07-2009, 05:50 PM
I can understand why he's pissed, but he can at least be happy that he doesn't have to work in January anymore.

bostonian
06-07-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm also a Pats fan here, Vrabel fan too. Just a heads up about Vrabel in general - he doesn't hold back with sarcasm and honesty in his comments. If he is told not to address something he just won't talk period which I know got to some people as well in the media.

As far as I know, while still in NE he missed quite a few OTA's while exercising the same option. He's a huge union guy and isn't afraid to tell people about it.

And as a Pat's fan I still don't agree with the move and can see why he may feel po'ed. But I will say this, dude only missed 3 games as a Patriot (01-08 I believe it was only 3) for a broken arm, then played the rest of the season with it. His leadership came from what he did on the field, playing offense, defense, special teams, out of position basically did what he was told no matter what it meant to his stats (ex. ILB killed his sack numbers and he never complained about it when ppl brought it up)

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Cut his ass now ! If he doesn't want to bea Chief then fuck him!

StcChief
06-07-2009, 07:46 PM
If he get his head adjusted and plays hard leads, shows alot more.
If he's done his homework, learned the new system. I have no problems.
for now.

Ultra Peanut
06-07-2009, 08:05 PM
fuck the chiefs

stlchiefs
06-07-2009, 08:08 PM
1 and done. He won't stay for a 2nd year.

whoman69
06-07-2009, 08:26 PM

It's not like he has anything to prove or that he is going to earn tons of bucks from here on out to secure his finacial future.

He probably doesn't do that because he doesn't want to retire just yet. Sure he's pissed. He had a good thing in New England and now its torn apart. Essentially they're telling him that he can't get it done anymore to their standards. He has a lot of pride. But there's no point in making everyone here as unhappy as he is, so he's smiling on the outside and saying all the right things.

RJ
06-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Hello, I'm the new team leader. I wish I wasn't. Playing for New England was really cool, do you guys want to hear about how much better things were there?

OnTheWarpath15
06-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Hello, I'm the new team leader. I wish I wasn't. Playing for New England was really cool, do you guys want to hear about how much better things were there?

LMAO

BarrySPAMAID
06-07-2009, 10:29 PM
This is the NFL Mr. Vrabel. We all know what that stands for,

Not for long.

Get used to it. Welcome home.

salame
06-07-2009, 11:17 PM
I bet he has a mysterious "injury" in training camp and announces his retirement before week 1

DaneMcCloud
06-07-2009, 11:20 PM

Why would he retire? He just received a $1 million dollar roster bonus and he's slated to earn $3.5 million this season. Why would he walk away from that money?

I wouldn't expect much from a 34 year-old.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-08-2009, 01:24 AM
Veterans should know that being traded is all part of the occupation. Vrabel should be thrilled that he got to be with the Pats as long as he did.

I think he'll enjoy being Big Man on Campus, so to speak. True Pro's don't just wake up and not want to play anymore.
He'll be Defensive Captain most likely, and I'm sure he'll have fun with the role.

Consistent1
06-08-2009, 03:26 AM
I can't say that I like the CBA crap. Players make enough money to stay in shape all year and do all of the workout stuff. Maybe he did do it in New England too, who cares. I would have liked to see him step up a little more.

Chiefnj2
06-08-2009, 07:13 AM
Going from the Pats to KC is like waking up in bed with Bar Rafaeli one minute and then blinking your eyes, looking over and seeing Rosie O'Donnel.

cmh6476
06-08-2009, 08:02 AM

How do you propose he makes money for the rest of his life? It isn't like he's going to run out and find a job making anywhere near what he's slated to bring in this year with the Chiefs, which may very well be the last year he earns a salary in the league.

Maybe he has some cash stowed away as security, but if I'm him, I'm here putting in my time to get that one last paycheck to provide for my family's financial stability before my career in the NFL is over.

ct
06-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Doubtlessly and understandably he felt betrayed. His contributions here were legendary. And he was totally blindsided. Were I a Chiefs fan I think I'd try to give him a little time to get past it and I'd cut him some slack up til, oh, say, when he gets on the actual field and I could judge him, what, fairly? Objectively?

I WOULD be disappointed that he missed some OTA's, for sure, but I'd cut him a break.

Cheers, BostonTim

I'm also a Pats fan here, Vrabel fan too. Just a heads up about Vrabel in general - he doesn't hold back with sarcasm and honesty in his comments. If he is told not to address something he just won't talk period which I know got to some people as well in the media.

As far as I know, while still in NE he missed quite a few OTA's while exercising the same option. He's a huge union guy and isn't afraid to tell people about it.

And as a Pat's fan I still don't agree with the move and can see why he may feel po'ed. But I will say this, dude only missed 3 games as a Patriot (01-08 I believe it was only 3) for a broken arm, then played the rest of the season with it. His leadership came from what he did on the field, playing offense, defense, special teams, out of position basically did what he was told no matter what it meant to his stats (ex. ILB killed his sack numbers and he never complained about it when ppl brought it up)

Thanks guys, appreciate the input!

I feel the very same. No doubt he'd rather be in NE still, but he's a pro and stand up guy. He's allowed time to get his thoughts around the new reality for his career. I believe he'll do us well, either on the field or as a mentor/leader, or hopefully both!

chiefzilla1501
06-08-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm shocked that people are pissed about this. Who cares? He's skipped plenty of OTAs in the past, and most in New England would still consider him to be a good leader. And as for being pissed... it sounds like New England didn't even ask him if it was okay to be traded--you would think that a team that you were a part of for so long would at least have the integrity to tell him what was going on. I doubt he's pissed about playing for KC as much as he is pissed that New England shipped him out like bad cargo.

Much ado about nothing.

kepp
06-08-2009, 10:40 AM
There's no 'V' in 'TEAM'

RustShack
06-08-2009, 12:32 PM
I think he'll enjoy being Big Man on Campus, so to speak. True Pro's don't just wake up and not want to play anymore.
He'll be Defensive Captain most likely, and I'm sure he'll have fun with the role.

I think Zach Thomas might have the edge on him for Defensive captain. They both could be captains though, didn't the Patriots have a bunch last year? Also I would guess Matt Cassel is the offensive captain.

KcFanInGA
06-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Hey, the guy is honest. But he is here, and working. We have bigger issues (I'm eyeballin you Waters) in the locker room. I for one am glad Vrabel is here.

RustShack
06-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Too bad him and Waters both left again now that the mandatory stuff is over.

DaneMcCloud
06-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Too bad him and Waters both left again now that the mandatory stuff is over.

The big difference is that Vrabel is training and in football shape while Waters isn't.

TEX
06-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Dude has made his career and life in NE. I can understand that being here is not high on his list. And I mean being here as in KC. not the Chiefs.

I bet both.

Chiefshrink
06-08-2009, 02:56 PM
He showed up when he was supposed to, he is saying all the right things. Haley said he adapted to the scheme very well and has mastered all the drills, already. What else do you want?

Precisely. I damn guarantee you Pioli and Vrabel talked prior to the trade and everything was already worked out that he would not be there until it was mandatory. Pioli and Haley both understand and granted him that respect. They know who they are getting in a player and have no worries. I would have done the same thing as a coach/GM.:thumb:

RNR
06-08-2009, 04:44 PM
I think Zach Thomas might have the edge on him for Defensive captain. They both could be captains though, didn't the Patriots have a bunch last year? Also I would guess Matt Cassel is the offensive captain.

I would be surprised if Thomas stays healthy. Vrabel is a gamer and at his aged I would expect him to be disappointed about being traded to a rebuilding team from a contender. He also strikes me as a solid veteran and would not be surprised to see him step into the captain role

BarrySPAMAID
06-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Precisely. I damn guarantee you Pioli and Vrabel talked prior to the trade and everything was already worked out that he would not be there until it was mandatory. Pioli and Haley both understand and granted him that respect. They know who they are getting in a player and have no worries. I would have done the same thing as a coach/GM.:thumb:

Very good post. This is EXACTLY what I believe happened as well.

Pioli Zombie
06-09-2009, 05:39 AM
Vrabel experienced football heaven and now gets to play really close to a Dennys.

Now he knows how Jesus must have felt.
Posted via Mobile Device