PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Branden Albert overweight?

Mr. Krab
06-07-2009, 04:32 PM
I just saw part of a report on t.v. about the Chiefs with Haley and Albert talking about he showed up to camp out-of-shape and overweight. Albert then comments about he got to work and lost "thir ..... some weight"

He didn't finish his comment but it looked like he was about to say he lost thirty(something) pounds since the practices started. :eek:

kcjayhawks5
06-07-2009, 04:36 PM
yeah i read that article where Haley said he was really disappointed in Albert at the beginning with how overweight he and then was impressed by how hard he has worked to get into shape. good stuff!

StcChief
06-07-2009, 04:45 PM
off seaon is too long without check in

T-post Tom
06-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Albert is not a worry. The real concerns are center and RT.

BigRock
06-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Those 300+ pounds Haley keeps talking about the team losing, it all came off Albert's ass.

Buehler445
06-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Goddamn I hope not. We really need him to be a bamf.
Posted via Mobile Device

RealSNR
06-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Ya'll need to lay off Fat Albert. Let's see you carry around that much weight and muscle and gain a few pounds over the winter.

He's got the talent, demonstrated by his badass play during the practices even with the extra weight. Plus he lost it all.

Training camp + preseason is all he needs.

WhitiE
06-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Ya'll need to lay off Fat Albert. Let's see you carry around that much weight and muscle and gain a few pounds over the winter.

He's got the talent, demonstrated by his badass play during the practices even with the extra weight. Plus he lost it all.

Training camp + preseason is all he needs.yup... so everyone stefoo!

Hammock Parties
06-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Haley wants him at 305.

Apparently that's 20 lbs less than he was last year. He reported at 341 this offseason. Yowza!

The Franchise
06-07-2009, 05:20 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Branden Albert-T-Chiefs Jun. 7 - 6:10 pm et

Chiefs LT Branden Albert revealed that he reported to the offseason program in March weighing 341 pounds.
It's 32 lbs. over his 2008 Combine weigh-in. "Oh, no, no, no, no," said coach Todd Haley then. Albert was told to drop to 305 by training camp, and is currently at 309. "The guy has got his nose to the grindstone," Haley said Sunday. "I’m pretty excited about what the possibilities are for Branden."

Tribal Warfare
06-07-2009, 05:21 PM
yeah i read that article where Haley said he was really disappointed in Albert at the beginning with how overweight he and then was impressed by how hard he has worked to get into shape. good stuff!

I believe this is due to coaching philosophies Herm apparently Herm ran a bed and breakfast shooting the shit TC, and Haley's style is a slight culture shock for some of the players.

unothadeal
06-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Aren't O-lineman usually overweight?

Mr. Krab
06-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Isn't 305lb for a OT pretty darn light?

tmax63
06-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Sounds good to me. If he's worked hard enough to drop 30+ pounds, then he's turned another twenty pound of fat into muscle. And moving 50 pounds of fat off your body has got to be a good thing. And he's still got another couple of months to keep the conversion going.

milkman
06-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Branden Albert's work ethic and desire have never been a question.

I'm not going to worry about a non-issue, but I do blame it on Brian Waters.

unothadeal
06-07-2009, 06:41 PM
Branden Albert's work ethic and desire have never been a question.

I'm not going to worry about a non-issue, but I do blame it on Brian Waters.

Todd Haley's getting too nicey-nice.

Micjones
06-07-2009, 06:50 PM
My God.

If a player shows up to OTA's with too much change in his pocket it's reported.
The kid's work ethic isn't in question and I'd venture to guess most players come in over their playing weight from the previous season. It's the off-season people. That's why they begin early to get players properly conditioned.

Tribal Warfare
06-07-2009, 07:16 PM
The kid's work ethic isn't in question and I'd venture to guess most players come in over their playing weight from the previous season. It's the off-season people. That's why they begin early to get players properly conditioned.

It is a work ethic issue, that he must be in tuned with. Walter Payton, Jerry Rice, and Bruce Smith's training regiments were legendary in the offseason, and it's a thin line to being good and great. The mental preparation in the gym, watching game film, and staying in touch with the coaches for any possible scheme changes that will make him understand different blocking schemes and allow him to apply it in a game.

This is the professional ranks, one has to always be on top in what he does mentally and physically. Albert is realizing this and is improving to get better.

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-07-2009, 07:32 PM
We should cut his fat ass !

stlchiefs
06-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Hopefully he doesn't continue to fluctuate like that each offseason. Major weight swings like that are not good for anyone's body.

RealSNR
06-07-2009, 08:18 PM
My God.

If a player shows up to OTA's with too much change in his pocket it's reported.
The kid's work ethic isn't in question and I'd venture to guess most players come in over their playing weight from the previous season. It's the off-season people. That's why they begin early to get players properly conditioned.This

Quesadilla Joe
06-07-2009, 08:23 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=546898
Here are the top 20 tackles, the first in a series of positional rankings by RealScouts:

1. Ryan Clady, Broncos. An extremely athletic left tackle who gave up just 1 1/2 sacks as a rookie last year, he has great feet and the ability to run block at the second level and mirror ends in pass protection.

2. Walter Jones, Seahawks. He's still a premier player who doesn't need help against any pass rusher. Age and injury will put him on the descent in the next few years, but he's still a top technician for now.

3. Jason Peters, Eagles. Peters got some bad advice on his contract issues last year in Buffalo. As a result, he missed a lot of practice time and it showed in his play. Now that he has a long-term deal in Philly, all that is behind him and he can focus on returning to the form that made him one of the top young linemen in the league.

4. Joe Thomas, Browns. Thomas has all the physical tools you could ask for in a left tackle. He's an excellent pass blocker and impressive at getting to the linebacker level in the run game. He has added strength and is still improving.

5. Michael Roos, Titans. The Titans gave up just 12 sacks last season and rushed for almost 140 yards per game. You don't do that without a cornerstone player on the left side. He's a big, strong, physical left tackle and one of the most underrated players in the league.

6. Jordan Gross, Panthers. Athletic and versatile, Gross has the gifts to remain a top tackle for many more years. Smartly, the Panthers paid him handsomely to keep him off the free-agent market.

7. Jammal Brown, Saints. An impressive pass blocker with quick feet and good balance, he makes excellent use of his hands. Look for his run blocking to get more attention this year if New Orleans puts more emphasis on the run, as expected.

8. Jake Long, Dolphins. He's another cornerstone type who combines good size with nice strength and a physical style. He can be a dominating run blocker, which is important when you're working for Bill Parcells. His pass blocking improved last year but still needs work.

9. Orlando Pace, Bears. You can talk about his age and injuries, but in 14 games last season he was among the league leaders in fewest sacks allowed. His run blocking may not be what it once was, but he's still a solid pass blocker who will do a good job protecting Jay Cutler's blind side.

10. Chris Samuels, Redskins. Injuries in recent seasons have forced some changes in the Redskins' line, but one thing is sure: They will run behind Samuels, who is excellent in space and can reach the second level. He still has the feet to pass block effectively.

11. Chad Clifton, Packers. Clifton is a tough, hard-nosed, blue-collar type of player who relies on instincts and competitiveness to get the job done.

12. Flozell Adams, Cowboys. Adams is aging but still has tremendous size and strength. Though the Cowboys struggled in pass protection last year, there's reason to believe a healthy Tony Romo and improved balance on offense will spark a return to form for Flozell the Hotel.

13. Bryant McKinnie, Vikings. McKinnie is an outstanding run blocker and a big, powerful athlete. The Vikings run behind him almost constantly, and he's an above-average pass blocker who rarely needs help.

14. Jared Gaither, Ravens. Gaither is a mountain (6-9, 350) who excelled, particularly as a run blocker, in his first year as a starter. If the Ravens had any apprehension about the retirement of Jonathan Ogden, it's now a thing of the past.

15. David Diehl, Giants. A true guard, Diehl stepped in at left tackle and quietly has provided consistent play. He is smart, tough, competitive and extremely durable. He has started every regular season and postseason game of his career.

16. Matt Light, Patriots. Light doesn't have great physical skills, but in the Patriots' mold, he is smart, tough, and competitive. As a result, he's an effective player who plays with good leverage and gets the job done without much fanfare.

17. Eric Winston, Texans. Winston has quietly emerged as a very solid right tackle. He has good size, long arms and good initial quickness•and he has learned how to play with leverage. He has benefited from playing under respected line coach Alex Gibbs.

18. Marcus McNeill, Chargers. He's not a dominant run blocker but is a very good athlete who takes good angles and is effective getting out on linebackers. Neck and back issues are a concern, but it's important to note he has missed just two games over the past three years.

19. Vernon Carey, Dolphins. The addition of Long allowed Carey to move back to his natural position on the right side. He played well last season and earned a new contract. He's durable and efficient and uses his size to play with power.

20. Sam Baker, Falcons. Before a back injury sidelined him last year, Baker was well on his way to proving himself worthy of his surprising selection in the first round. He displays the combination of strength and athleticism that will allow him to thrive in the Falcons' run-first offense.

RealScouts analyze NFL and college players, coaches and teams exclusively for Sporting News.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=557654
RealScouts, Sporting News' team of former NFL scouts, projects the 25 players it expects to be most dominant in the upcoming season.

1. Peyton Manning, QB, Colts. His football IQ is unmatched. He's remarkably accurate, the ultimate competitor and indispensable.

2. Adrian Peterson, RB, Vikings. He already is the NFL's best runner, and coaches say they'll finally throw him the ball this year.

3. Tom Brady, QB, Patriots. Brady and the Patriots feel like their '08 season was taken from them. He's healthy, and it's payback time.

4. DeMarcus Ware, OLB, Cowboys. He is a game-changer -- an elite pass rusher with a stunning combination of size, speed, strength and agility.

5. Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Cardinals. His postseason run is the stuff little boys and grown men dream about.

6. James Harrison, OLB, Steelers. His biggest plays come as a pass rusher, but he does everything well. A complete and dominant player, Harrison wants to prove '08 was no fluke.

7. Ed Reed, S, Ravens. An instinctive ballhawk, Reed is a future Hall of Famer and will continue to flourish in a system that won't change with the departure of Rex Ryan.

8. Andre Johnson, WR, Texans. He was unstoppable when the Texans had no one else to stop. With improved depth at wideout and the emergence of RB Steve Slaton and TE Owen Daniels, Johnson could move up the list.

9. Troy Polamalu, S, Steelers. The catalyst for the Steelers' Super Bowl runs, he is tough, smart, instinctive and versatile.

10. Reggie Wayne, WR, Colts. He has been the Colts' go-to guy for a couple of years, a guy who can make something special happen on every touch. Marvin Harrison's departure won't have an impact.

11. Shawne "roidman" Merriman, OLB, Chargers. After a year on the sideline, he is determined to be a force again, and coordinator Ron Rivera will make that happen. If Merriman is healthy, he'll be the focus of an elite defense.

12. Nnamdi Asomugha, CB, Raiders. When Peyton Manning avoids Asomugha's side of the field, it tells you all you need to know about this guy. He is the NFL's top cover corner.

13. Drew Brees, QB, Saints. Reggie Bush, Jeremy Shockey and Marques Colston missed 15 games combined last year, and Brees -- with his quick release and dead-on accuracy -- still threw for 5,000 yards. With all his weapons in place, he'll lead the Saints back to the playoffs.

14. Jared Allen, DE, Vikings. He is an elite pass rusher and also is a force against the run who never gives up on a play. He is tough, playing through knee and shoulder injuries in '08.

15. Albert Haynesworth, DT, Redskins. He is a dominant run defender with the size and quickness to also be a disruptive pass rusher. His production might not justify his contract, but he'll absolutely improve the Redskins' defense in '09.

16. Ryan Clady, OT, Broncos. Standard bearers Walter Jones and Orlando Pace still are good, but Clady was the NFL's best pass protector as a rookie, and the biggest improvement in most NFL players comes between Years 1 and 2.

17. Julius Peppers, DE, Panthers. If he is going to play in '09, it's going to be in Carolina. He is coming off a career year, and the team is poised for another playoff run. If he can "accept" his $16.7 million, one-year contract, he should dominate again.

18. Jason Witten, TE, Cowboys. With Terrell Owens out of the picture, Witten will get even more looks from pal Tony Romo. Witten is an excellent blocker with the speed, hands and route-running ability to remain a top receiving threat.

19. Anquan Boldin, WR, Cardinals. A big, physical receiver, he makes his biggest plays after the catch. He shows great toughness catching balls over the middle, too.

20. Randy Moss, WR, Patriots. No one is more excited about the return of Brady than Moss. The two were unstoppable in '07, and there is little reason to think they won't pick up where they left off.

21. Brian Urlacher, MLB, Bears. Urlacher had a down year in '08, but with improved play up front, there's no reason he can't reassert himself as the do-it-all middle man in the Bears' cover 2 scheme.

22. Steve Hutchinson, G, Vikings. Peterson should be thankful for Hutchinson, one of the most physical and dominant run blockers in the game.

23. Dwight Freeney, DE, Colts. With 10 1/2 sacks, Freeney enjoyed a bounce-back year in '08. When healthy, his speed off the edge is unmatched.

24. Kevin Williams, DT, Vikings. The potential for a four-game suspension hurts his ranking, but he is one of the few players who can't be blocked one-on-one. He regularly beats double-teams and is an absolute force inside.

25. Steven Jackson, RB, Rams. The Rams will use a West Coast-style offense in '09 with a quarterback who never has played in the system and an inexperienced receiving unit. Jackson, a workhorse when healthy, will be more important than ever.

RealScouts analyze NFL and college players, coaches and teams exclusively for Sporting News.

milkman
06-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Hey, HoMo 2724, we don't give a rat's ass about that subjetive, useless ****ing rating.

whoman69
06-07-2009, 08:37 PM
I imagine it was an issue because at that much weight he would have little or no mobility. 305 seems to be pretty low for tackles these days, but if Haley wants them to be mobile, they still weigh more than the guys they're blocking.

boogblaster
06-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Id rather see him at 325 with more upper-body ..

salame
06-07-2009, 10:59 PM
I have to say this
no one here seems to understand it
but Clady really is a stud

salame
06-07-2009, 11:00 PM
I have to say this

I am not a broncos fain either

DaneMcCloud
06-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Isn't 305lb for a OT pretty darn light?

Not for a left tackle.

It's all about maneuverability and technique.

Nightfyre
06-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Why do people cite the sportingnews? Why? Why? Why?

gblowfish
06-08-2009, 08:01 AM
They could lose another 325 by cutting SackIntosh.

Brock
06-08-2009, 08:08 AM
I have to say this

Wow, you've really enlightened everyone, congatulations on that.

KcFanInGA
06-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Clady can eat my taint crust.

chiefzilla1501
06-08-2009, 09:47 AM
I have to say this

People understand it.

But what the fuck does Ryan Clady have to do about this discussion? That's the point. This is about Branden Albert's weight, not a pissing match over who Albert's better than.

chiefzilla1501
06-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Not for a left tackle.

It's all about maneuverability and technique.

Well, it is an interesting question because most left tackles are around 320. Joe Thomas is around 305. Jordan Gross is also an exception, but he's shorter.

But I do trust Haley on this. It does make me wonder if he's hoping to move to more of a zone blocking scheme?

EyePod
06-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Albert is not a worry. The real concerns are center and RT.

DMac got a lot better towards the offseason. I think he's almost at the serviceable level, and we can address that position next year.

The Franchise
06-08-2009, 10:51 AM
I have to say this

I'll wait until he does it 2 years in a row.....with a new coach and a new offense.

RealSNR
06-08-2009, 10:55 AM
I have to say this
but Clady really is a studYou're right. We're fucking retarded. We don't know anything about great football players outside this Chiefs team.

GTFO

chiefzilla1501
06-08-2009, 11:00 AM
DMac got a lot better towards the offseason. I think he's almost at the serviceable level, and we can address that position next year.

I think DMac's a lot better than he gets credit for. But his improvement is largely from moving to the shotgun offense with a mobile QB. The offense and Thigpen made the offensive line a lot better. I think he'd be a good guy to have as a backup LT, but as for RT, he's just not strong enough to play the position.

Quesadilla Joe
06-10-2009, 07:38 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcwest
Ranking the offensive linemen in AFC West

June 9, 2009 2:30 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

We are continuing our periodic AFC West position rankings.

Today, it's the offensive line. This is a group of the best, in my opinion, in the division.

1. Ryan Clady, Denver, T: The second-year left tackle is a bright light. Denver may be in a time of transition, but it has a wonderful anchor in the near-flawless Clady.

2. Nick Hardwick, San Diego, C: Hardwick, in a lot of ways, makes the San Diego offense click. The offense suffered when was hurt. He is smart, tough player.

3. Ryan Harris, Denver, T: Harris is an underrated player. He wasn't as good as Clady in his first season starting at right tackle in 2008, but he was close. Harris and Clady are dream bookend tackles.

4. Casey Wiegmann, Denver, C: Wiegmann is talking about retirement if he doesn't get a new contract. It would be a shame, because he is still playing at a high level.

5. Kris Dielman, San Diego G: Dielman is playing at a Pro Bowl level. He is a big, nasty guard who teams well with Hardwick.

6. Marcus McNeill, San Diego, T: This is an important year for McNeill. He was dealing with injuries last season and he had a rough season. Still, McNeill is talented and is still considered a bright spot for the Chargers.

7. Branden Albert, Kansas City, T: Albert is a comerstone. He showed good signs as a rookie. If he can control his weight, he should be very good in 2009.

8. Brian Waters, Kansas City, G: Waters still has something left in the tank. Still, it doesn't appear he wants it to be in Kansas City.

9. Robert Gallery, Oakland, G: Gallery has been a fine guard for the Raiders after he was moved from tackle. Gallery is considered somewhat of a bust because he was the No. 2 overall draft pick five years ago, but he's an effective guard for Oakland.

10. Cooper Carlisle, Oakland, G: Carlisle is a terrific zone-blocking player and Oakland was thrilled to re-sign him this offseason.

11. Chris Kuper, Denver, G: Kuper is a good, young player. He is stout and fits Denver's system well.

12. Khalif Barnes, Oakland, T: Barnes was a disappointment in Jacksonville. But he has skills and he's fits the Raiders' system well. He has a chance to resurrect his career.

Hammock Parties
01-02-2010, 06:50 AM
Not anymore bitch.

http://imgur.com/btRt3.jpg (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1174)

BossChief
01-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Not anymore bitch.

http://imgur.com/btRt3.jpg (https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1174)
is that photoshopped?

If not, the photoshop opportunities are endless.

Hammock Parties
01-02-2010, 07:22 AM
No, it's real.