PDA

View Full Version : KU Another example of goofy/stupid NCAA recruiting rules?

Lzen
06-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Sunday, June 7, 2009 (http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/jun/7/)
NCAA rules place limits on fan enthusiasm

Messages on social networking sites may violate recruiting rules

By Andy Hyland (http://www2.kusports.com/staff/andy_hyland/)

Interested in starting an online group dedicated to, say, showing Wichita Heights High School sophomore and Kansas University basketball recruit Perry Ellis how awesome KU is?
Better think twice.

What may seem like an innocuous post on a social media forum may be an NCAA recruiting violation, according to what Kansas Athletics is telling fans.
Even though average KU fans may not think of themselves as boosters in the traditional sense, Jim Marchiony, associate athletics director at KU, said they become boosters when they do things that could be considered an effort to attract high school athletes to KU.
So Kansas Athletics put together a document that it disseminated on its own Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/KUAthletics#/KUAthletics?v=app_7146470109&viewas=0), detailing some rules and regulations on the process.
Marchiony said he isn’t aware of any violations at KU to date, but said the department wanted to be proactive after seeing violations elsewhere.
“We just felt like we needed to educate our fans about the rules that we are obligated to follow as a member of the NCAA,” Marchiony said.
One violation elsewhere, according to the Associated Press, occurred when Taylor Moseley, a student at North Carolina State, started a group called “John Wall PLEASE come to NC STATE!!!!” That attracted more than 700 members.
The student later got a cease and desist letter from the school’s athletic department, and renamed the group “Bring a National Title back to NC STATE!” and featured a photo of Wall.
Some of the rules regarding prospects — students who are at least in the ninth grade, and including those enrolled at junior colleges — according to KU include:
• No fan may e-mail a prospect or post messages on a prospect’s MySpace, Facebook or similar Web site.
• No fan may create an online group dedicated to convincing or encouraging a prospect to attend KU, even without directly contacting the prospect.
• Fans may not contact prospects to tell them about “the great things KU has to offer,” even if they do not encourage them to come to KU.
Matt Rada, a senior at KU from Lake Quivira, follows the men’s basketball team on Facebook, but said he hadn’t noticed any recruiting issues of the type banned by the school.
However, if they were to go on, Rada said he anticipated the school would have a difficult time enforcing those rules.
“The fans really aren’t going to have that big of an impact” on a potential recruit, Rada said, saying he thought campus visits and other official recruiting activities would have more influence.
Marchiony said that if a fan were to participate in a banned activity, the athletic department would ask the person to stop. If the activity continued, then KU would seek the advice of the NCAA, he said.
“As long as a school takes the steps it needs to take, I don’t think you’d be talking about that school having NCAA penalties,” he said.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/jun/07/ncaa-rules-place-limits-fan-enthusiasm/

Kyle DeLexus
06-08-2009, 09:35 AM
That is pretty rediculous. You have guys like WWW telling players where to go but a fan can't say come to KU?

Saulbadguy
http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=65313464513

Fish
Ohh dear. That sounds like a horrible horrible idea. Impossible to enforce. WTF are they thinking?

Saulbadguy
06-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Ohh dear. That sounds like a horrible horrible idea. Impossible to enforce. WTF are they thinking?

It would be tough to enforce without a compliance office.

Oooops...:thumb:

Lzen
06-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Saul, I can't click that facebook link while at work (of course you know that ;) ). What is it?

To me, this seems to be way over the top. How on Earth can they expect universities to control fans postings online? :shake:

Saulbadguy
06-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Saul, I can't click that facebook link while at work (of course you know that ;) ). What is it?

To me, this seems to be way over the top. How on Earth can they expect universities to control fans postings online? :shake:

KCFalcon59
06-08-2009, 09:47 AM

LMAOLMAO

Fish
06-08-2009, 09:56 AM
So if a "fan" does get in trouble for this.... does the corresponding school also get in trouble? If so... what's to stop someone from spoofing a site just to get school X in trouble?

If not... who gives a shit? Then it would just be the NCAA vs. some goofball fan, and it wouldn't be worth the time to pursue.

This is just all sorts of wrong.....

WhitiE
06-08-2009, 10:22 AM
ahahah what a bunch of morons.....

kepp
06-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Goodness...this is all kinds of stupid.

Lzen
06-08-2009, 10:43 AM

Saul, you just posted that. Didn't you? LMAO

Fish
06-08-2009, 11:03 AM

Directly below the image....

<dl><dt>Von Wiltz (http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=645526571) (West Orange High)</dt><dd>Provider of Underage Hookers for John Wall</dd></dl>LMAO

jidar
06-08-2009, 01:12 PM
Dumb. A person could easily pose as a fan of a rival school to get sanctions against said school.

DJay23
06-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Before long, we won't be able to wear our school's licensed apparel within 50 yards of a high school athlete on or off campus.

When recruits come to campus for visits, all students are to hide all signs of contentment at their university or anything that would otherwise entice recruits.

When attending games on campus, no one is to wear licensed school apparel and all insignia promoting the school in the arena and on the floor are to be removed. Players are to wear generic white uniforms.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Dumb. A person could easily pose as a fan of a rival school to get sanctions against said school.

no. the school is not sanctioned....the booster in question would be banned from participating in university related activities.

this is an old rule that has been around forever, just updated to meet today's techology.

BWillie
06-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Man, I committed recruiting violations when we recruited Henry when I posted on his facebook that he can bang my stripper cousin whenever he wants. I never new I was such a big wig booster for KU, kind of a stroke of the ego.

Ultra Peanut
06-08-2009, 02:46 PM
It's not GOOFY for the NCAA to try to protect 17 year olds from endless harrassment and cajoling. It's mostly unenforceable, and it would be stupid to impose penalties on schools for this sort of stuff, but it's fair enough to at least set the precedent that it's not smiled upon.