PDA

View Full Version : Video Games XBox Project Natal

Deberg_1990
06-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Obviously they are trying to one up the Wii. Do you like this style of gaming? Or do you prefer the traditional controller gaming?

Whats your take?

www.xbox.com

to watch the videos....

Saulbadguy
06-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Just trying to cater to ultra-casual gamers.

Deberg_1990
06-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Just trying to cater to ultra-casual gamers.

Yea, Nintendo really caught on to something there. They have been the masters of it the past few years.

Saulbadguy
06-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Yea, Nintendo really caught on to something there. They have been the masters of it the past few years.

Indeed. The Wii has sold damn near more units than both Microsoft and Sony combined - but there are only a handful of decent games that cater to the core/active gamer market.

I don't see Natal or Sony's motion control as game changers at all, just more gimmicks that will attempt to capture some of Nintendos market. While both are "cool", I really despise the thought of them being a requirement to use for games.

Basileus777
06-09-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm not a huge fan of motion controls, but I don't have anything against them when they work either. But they haven't really been used well on the Wii other than in some sports games and mini-game compilations. The pointer on the Wii's controller is actually more useful for most games than the actual waggling.

Maybe Natal can work better because it's something so different. There's probably a lot of creative things you can pull off with the camera besides playing Burnout with an imaginary steering wheel.

Deberg_1990
06-09-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't see Natal or Sony's motion control as game changers at all, just more gimmicks that will attempt to capture some of Nintendos market. While both are "cool", I really despise the thought of them being a requirement to use for games.

You know what else has been a marketing masterstroke? All these games like Wii Fit, Guitar Hero, Rock band, etc, that require you to buy peripheral devices to play. Obviously more money for the manufacturers. Incredible.

Reaper16
06-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Welcome to last week's discussion. Glad you could join us.

I don't think that Natal is going to have any implications for the kinds of games that I like to play.

kcxiv
06-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Natal is going to be amazing when you have families playing together. I know if it was out right now i can convince alot of people to play this that do NOT game at all. I am almost sure they will like it.

If its not to expensive, i will buy it.

06-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Natal is going to be amazing when you have families playing together. I know if it was out right now i can convince alot of people to play this that do NOT game at all. I am almost sure they will like it.

If its not too expensive, i will buy it.

Dude, it's Micro$oft.

TinyEvel
06-10-2009, 12:24 AM
homes with Wii use their console an average of 5 hours a week, 360 10 hours, PS3 11 hours. So, yeah, wii gamers are more casual. A lot of people are intimidated by the dual analog controller. I mean ,we had Atari. It was an 8-direction stick and one button.

06-10-2009, 12:26 AM
homes with Wii use their console an average of 5 hours a week, 360 10 hours, PS3 11 hours. So, yeah, wii gamers are more casual. A lot of people are intimidated by the dual analog controller. I mean ,we had Atari. It was an 8-direction stick and one button.Hell, I am better with a dual analog than I ever was with that damn single stick.

ZootedGranny
06-10-2009, 01:09 AM
As of now, I don't have any interest in it as a primary input device, but Johnny Lee's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw) involvement (http://procrastineering.blogspot.com/2009/06/project-natal.html) has me keeping an eye on it.

kcxiv
06-10-2009, 01:19 AM
Dude, it's Micro$oft.

It cant cost that much t hough or all that developemental cost and everything else associated with it, will be an epic failure if it costs to much.

I am not a MS hater as some of you all are on here. even with my xbox rr on me 2 times, i still really like it. I havent paid a cent for it to get repaired and both times its gotten back to me in under 2 weeks.

If its about 100 bucks, then its going to be good. Anything more then that, there is no point in MS even going live with it. It wont sell.

06-10-2009, 01:38 AM
It cant cost that much t hough or all that developemental cost and everything else associated with it, will be an epic failure if it costs to much.

I am not a MS hater as some of you all are on here. even with my xbox rr on me 2 times, i still really like it. I havent paid a cent for it to get repaired and both times its gotten back to me in under 2 weeks.

If its about 100 bucks, then its going to be good. Anything more then that, there is no point in MS even going live with it. It wont sell.Don't know if that was directed at me but I am hardly a MS hater. I just know they like their proprietary items is all. $150 for that 120gb HDD is insane.

Reaper16
06-10-2009, 02:00 AM
My grandpa thinks Natal is stupid. He told me "Why do they need to get rid of the stick [read: controller]? I'm fat and old, I don't want to be dancing around." He regularly plays his Atari 2600, btw.

Saulbadguy
06-10-2009, 06:43 AM
homes with Wii use their console an average of 5 hours a week, 360 10 hours, PS3 11 hours. So, yeah, wii gamers are more casual. A lot of people are intimidated by the dual analog controller. I mean ,we had Atari. It was an 8-direction stick and one button.

The gaming market took a hit when the controllers got more complicated than a digital pad and 2 buttons.

When casual gamers lost interest in Tetris, that was it. The Wii re-captured the market and now Microsoft and Sony are looking to do the same.

BigMeatballDave
06-10-2009, 07:54 AM
I'm a very casual gamer. Nothing will replace my Wii.

Deberg_1990
06-10-2009, 08:18 AM
I wonder if Nintendo will counter by catering to and creating more adult/hardcore games?

Saulbadguy
06-10-2009, 08:48 AM
I wonder if Nintendo will counter by catering to and creating more adult/hardcore games?

The technical limitations of the Wii really make it tough to cater to core gamers. There ARE great games for it, if they just made more of those, it would be nice. :)

Great games being first party Nintendo games...

Deberg_1990
06-10-2009, 10:05 AM
The technical limitations of the Wii really make it tough to cater to core gamers. There ARE great games for it, if they just made more of those, it would be nice. :)

Great games being first party Nintendo games...

Your right. Most of the best games are first party games.

I do own a few 3rd partys that are really good like Boom Blox and Pro Evolution Soccer but the overwhelming majority of 3rd party games for the Wii suck.

06-10-2009, 05:13 PM
I wonder if Nintendo will counter by catering to and creating more adult/hardcore games?did anyone get that new indy game for the Wii

meStevo
06-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Demo'd on Fallon tonight.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4a309bb27aa8b9e3/4727a250e66f9723/a65e4496/-cpid/6bd860fb5cb0d1fe" id="W4727a250e66f97234a309bb27aa8b9e3" width="384" height="283"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4a309bb27aa8b9e3/4727a250e66f9723/a65e4496/-cpid/6bd860fb5cb0d1fe" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /></object>

Kyle DeLexus
06-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Demo'd on Fallon tonight.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.nbc.com/o/4727a250e66f9723/4a309bb27aa8b9e3/4727a250e66f9723/a65e4496/-cpid/6bd860fb5cb0d1fe" id="W4727a250e66f97234a309bb27aa8b9e3" width="384" height="283">

</object>

Might just be me but driving like that seemed pretty cool. Playing a football or other sport game would be pretty amazing.

kcxiv
06-11-2009, 03:34 AM
Natal isnt going to be for everygame. WHile it may work with most, its not going to mess well with some and like Herm says "thats ok" lol

I can see a nice market for it, but it has to be priced right. (wait's for Guru's, its M$ post) Anyways, it has alot of potential. I will say right now, if its 100 bucks or less, i am getting it on release day. I would have fun with it with family and what not.

06-11-2009, 04:36 AM
Natal isnt going to be for everygame. WHile it may work with most, its not going to mess well with some and like Herm says "thats ok" lol

I can see a nice market for it, but it has to be priced right. (wait's for Guru's, its M$ post) Anyways, it has alot of potential. I will say right now, if its 100 bucks or less, i am getting it on release day. I would have fun with it with family and what not.But, it's M$. :p:LOL:

HC_Chief
06-11-2009, 08:48 AM
but the overwhelming majority of games for the Wii suck.

Fixed your post

meStevo
06-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Ya, that's one thing im afraid of...

MS: "Here's Natal!"
Publishers: "Here's 100 Wii ports to 360!"

If they price it $150 higher than people expect it to be like Sony did with the PSP Go it'll be the next Virtual Boy.

Pitt Gorilla
06-11-2009, 10:49 AM
I thought Sony's motion controller prototype looked pretty cool.

Basileus777
06-11-2009, 10:57 AM
But, it's M$. :p:LOL:

The Microsoft who has the cheapest console out on the market? They aren't stupid, they know they have to release Natal at a reasonable price if it's going to get any market penetration.

06-11-2009, 02:11 PM
The Microsoft who has the cheapest console out on the market? They aren't stupid, they know they have to release Natal at a reasonable price if it's going to get any market penetration.I'm just giving him shit is all.LMAO

They may have the cheapest dumbed down console on the market but their fully functional unit is minimum $299. That is the one that should be $199.

I love my xbox but that doesn't mean I am giving them a pass on pricing of peripherals. If this Natal thing is $100 or less I will be shocked. Personally, I think $100 is too much. I am certain that surprises nobody though. heh:thumb:

06-11-2009, 02:14 PM
I thought Sony's motion controller prototype looked pretty cool.I was at first but after really looking at it again, I don't really see what it can realistically apply to. I still like it better than natal though. I probably won't consider purchasing either one of them.

Pitt Gorilla
06-11-2009, 02:22 PM
I was at first but after really looking at it again, I don't really see what it can realistically apply to. I still like it better than natal though. I probably won't consider purchasing either one of them.Yeah, I wouldn't use either one for gaming.

06-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't use either one for gaming.Just as long as they don't start throwing crap into games just to utilize it.

Reaper16
06-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Just as long as they don't start throwing crap into games just to utilize it.
You are arguing against capitalism.

06-11-2009, 02:55 PM
You are arguing against capitalism.I have no problems with capitalism at all. If something it is priced right and actually useful, it will sell. I just see them going the way of their HDDs here. Hopefully I am wrong.

As far as the games go, as long as the features are only optional then they can do whatever they want with this.

meStevo
06-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I think we'll see a bit of all or nothing, this isn't like the SIXAXIS gimmick that they'll have patch in normal controls for later, knowing every person has it like Sony did. Not everyone will have Natal, games will have an option to utilize it at most, if they aren't based completely around it. Kinda like fitness games on the Wii, they can't assume you're one of the few million wiifit owners with a balance board.

kcxiv
06-11-2009, 03:13 PM
The Microsoft who has the cheapest console out on the market? They aren't stupid, they know they have to release Natal at a reasonable price if it's going to get any market penetration.

Ya, that's one thing im afraid of...

MS: "Here's Natal!"
Publishers: "Here's 100 Wii ports to 360!"

If they price it $150 higher than people expect it to be like Sony did with the PSP Go it'll be the next Virtual Boy.

There will be no ports to the 360 imo. You could do much more with the 360's hardware. You will get a few cheap games, but i can pick that up on the 360 without Natal.

I think ir ead somewhere were dev's say you cant port games from the 360 to the wii or vice versa. you have to develop them from scratch.

Anyways, as long as its under 100 bucks imo, it will sell and do relaly well. You will have some of them exersize games and you can use yoru own home made stool stepper if you so choose. lol

I just think it has alot of potential for its own market on the 360.

Fish
06-11-2009, 03:15 PM
So.... does it require a groovy orange leisure suit? If not... it should.....

06-11-2009, 03:16 PM
I think we'll see a bit of all or nothing, this isn't like the SIXAXIS gimmick that they'll have patch in normal controls for later, knowing every person has it like Sony did. Not everyone will have Natal, games will have an option to utilize it at most, if they aren't based completely around it. Kinda like fitness games on the Wii, they can't assume you're one of the few million wiifit owners with a balance board.SIXAXIS was the dumbest gimmick ever. I still remember Sony introducing that at E3 with that smug look on their faces. That had to be embarrassing.

meStevo
06-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Oh I agree, they just have to execute now.

Edit: re: the potential on the 360 for Natal.

Here's another hands on by one of the guys at Joystiq, he takes issue with having to remain standing but otherwise is very impressed.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/11/hands-on-project-natal-burnout/

Like i may have posted here before, I want this more than for my 360... I want it to control my whole entertainment center. Point to the stereo, say volume, turn my hand CCW/CW to turn it up/down. I should be able to say guide and then grab my HR21's guide and drag it up and down, or say a channel and have it tune to it. Doing this seems to be at the lower end of what this is capable of, all that stands in the way is a brain that can connect these devices.

Spiffy Xbox stuff would be a bonus.

Price point... I really want to see it around $99, but I doubt it. If anything I'd almost expect it to initially be $200, come with Burnout and a handful of other tech demos. With a price drop and re-bundling 4-5 months later.

Basileus777
06-11-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm just giving him shit is all.LMAO

They may have the cheapest dumbed down console on the market but their fully functional unit is minimum $299. That is the one that should be $199.

There's nothing wrong with the arcade. The only thing it's missing is a HDD, and you don't even need one if your just want to play games and don't care about DLC. Compare what you get with the $250 Wii, they are hardly overcharging for it. There's no way you can argue that the Xbox Pro should be $200 based on the competition, they'd be selling the system at a huge loss.

06-11-2009, 05:18 PM
There's nothing wrong with the arcade. The only thing it's missing is a HDD, and you don't even need one if your just want to play games and don't care about DLC. Compare what you get with the $250 Wii, they are hardly overcharging for it. There's no way you can argue that the Xbox Pro should be $200 based on the competition, they'd be selling the system at a huge loss.I can argue it. :evil: Doesn't mean anyone has to agree though. heh

Personally I think they should drop the arcade and just put the pro out there for 249