PDA

View Full Version : Music Marilyn Manson

ModSocks
06-11-2009, 10:29 AM
So I haven't really been listening to any Marilyn Manson since i was a kid, but his last two albums have really grabbed me. I love the "Eat me, Drink me" Album, and the few songs i've heard from his most recent album i like as well.

I've been paying close attention to his lyrics, something i've never really done, and i'm surprised how good of an artist he really is. He is much more than just a shock rocker.

Anyone else listen to his latest albums? What are your thoughts on him as an Artist and as a person?

Here's one of my favorites from his recent albums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o1HCW0-hOo

The Franchise
06-11-2009, 10:41 AM
I've been listening to him since Anti-Christ Superstar. His albums have gotten better over time until "Eat me, Drink Me". I didn't really like the album that much. It really only had 3-4 songs that were good. The new album is better than the prior but I haven't really had a chance to listen to it more than 1-2 times.

The Franchise
06-11-2009, 10:42 AM
The dude does draw some fucking fine ass chicks though.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-11-2009, 10:43 AM
LOVE MM... my favorite of the "modern rock" artists. Haven't bought "The High End of Low" yet but will soon... "Eat Me, Drink Me" is excellent... "Golden Age of Grotesque" is my fav album of his probably but "Holywood" is a very close second.

Yes... he's a lyrical master of the genre. Most others are pretenders imo when it comes to writting meaningful lyrics... the shock rock thing gets in the way of the quality of writting he generally does imo too and keeps some people from taking him seriously as an artist, which is too bad. I've turned two people (who NEVER would have given him a chance on their own) into fans. Both of them are the quiet types that you'd never imagine would be MM fans too which is awesome to me lol.

He has a genius IQ. Listen to many of his interviews and you can tell. Very soft-spoken and thoughtful in most cases (unless he's just fuckin with the interviewer which happens too.)

He's one of my 5 favorite artists of all time easily.

The Franchise
06-11-2009, 10:45 AM
LOVE MM... my favorite of the "modern rock" artists. Haven't bought "The High End of Low" yet but will soon... "Eat Me, Drink Me" is excellent... "Golden Age of Grotesque" is my fav album of his probably but "Holywood" is a very close second.

Yes... he's a lyrical master of the genre. Most others are pretenders imo when it comes to writting meaningful lyrics... the shock rock thing gets in the way of the quality of writting he generally does imo too and keeps some people from taking him seriously as an artist, which is too bad. I've turned two people (who NEVER would have given him a chance on their own) into fans. Both of them are the quiet types that you'd never imagine would be MM fans too which is awesome to me lol.

He has a genius IQ. Listen to many of his interviews and you can tell. Very soft-spoken and thoughtful in most cases (unless he's just fuckin with the interviewer which happens too.)

This is pretty much how I feel except for the "Eat me, Drink me" album. I just couldn't get into it.

KC native
06-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Sweet, I'll have to check this one out. I have Anti Christ Superstar and thought the last one was ok.

ModSocks
06-11-2009, 12:56 PM

He has a genius IQ. Listen to many of his interviews and you can tell. Very soft-spoken and thoughtful in most cases (unless he's just ****in with the interviewer which happens too.)

Yep. The whole Shock Rock label and his persona have really kept people from listening to his lyrics. It's such a shame. I really think he is one of the best song writers out there right now.

Love this song:

http://www.youtube.com/user/marilynmansonband?blend=1&ob=4

ModSocks
06-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Sweet, I'll have to check this one out. I have Anti Christ Superstar and thought the last one was ok.

Anti Christ Superstar is still my fave. Mr. Superstar was my favorite song when i was a kid.

rockymtnchief
06-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Not a fan myself, but my buddy and I met him in Red Lodge Montana one night. Manson and my buddy shot some pool and he was nice as a guy could be.

ModSocks
06-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Not a fan myself, but my buddy and I met him in Red Lodge Montana one night. Manson and my buddy shot some pool and he was nice as a guy could be.

That's fucking cool. shooting pool with MM

The Franchise
06-11-2009, 01:17 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OdTOYYnVPkk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OdTOYYnVPkk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ModSocks
06-11-2009, 01:49 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OdTOYYnVPkk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OdTOYYnVPkk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

O'Reilly kind of pwned him in that interview. Especially when he said, "but you must understand that some children don't have parents". That damn near forced MM to throw out his entire "blame it on the parents, it's there fault for not watching there kids" stance he always takes.

The Franchise
06-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Yeah....you can't win any interview. I just find it funny that when someone interviews him...it's always...."why do you like like this?" and "why do you swear in your songs?". Find something original to talk about.

ModSocks
06-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Yeah....you can't win any interview. I just find it funny that when someone interviews him...it's always...."why do you like like this?" and "why do you swear in your songs?". Find something original to talk about.

I thought it was funny when he mentioned the swearing. Marilyn Manson really isn't profane compared to a lot of other artists. His lyrics don't even touch the amount of defamation towards women or each other that hip-hop/rap bring to the table.

rockymtnchief
06-11-2009, 03:03 PM
O'Reilly kind of pwned him in that interview. Especially when he said, "but you must understand that some children don't have parents". That damn near forced MM to throw out his entire "blame it on the parents, it's there fault for not watching there kids" stance he always takes.

I thought MM held his ground. He spoke his mind without answering questions with questions, get excited, or use the phrase "you know" a million times. He gave direct answers.

Whether you think his answers are truthful is your own opinion.

I used to hate getting interviewed. The person asking the questions has a week to prepare, investigate, and finalize their questions. You have a few seconds to answer. I'm sure in hindsight he may have had better answers. Everyone would.

ModSocks
06-11-2009, 03:31 PM
I thought MM held his ground. He spoke his mind without answering questions with questions, get excited, or use the phrase "you know" a million times. He gave direct answers.

Whether you think his answers are truthful is your own opinion.

I used to hate getting interviewed. The person asking the questions has a week to prepare, investigate, and finalize their questions. You have a few seconds to answer. I'm sure in hindsight he may have had better answers. Everyone would.

Agreed. But honestly, as impressed as i am with his lyrics, his interviews always seem to disappoint me. For as smart as he is, I'm always waiting for him to say something revolutionary. But it always seems to be the same ol', same ol'.

bango
06-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I have ...American Family, Smells like..., and ...Superstar. I have been meaning to pick up his greatest hits for some time now to see if I will like the stuff he recorded after ...Animals. I have not heard that much of his stuff unless it has been a cover. They do not play him that much on the radio with the exception of the older things. He does write great lyrics.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-12-2009, 12:58 PM
I have ...American Family, Smells like..., and ...Superstar. I have been meaning to pick up his greatest hits for some time now to see if I will like the stuff he recorded after ...Animals. I have not heard that much of his stuff unless it has been a cover. They do not play him that much on the radio with the exception of the older things. He does write great lyrics.

The rock station in our chain is playing "Arma-goddam-mother-fucking-geddon" from the new cd fwiw... just calling it Armageddon obviously.

patteeu
06-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Yes... he's a lyrical master of the genre. Most others are pretenders imo when it comes to writting meaningful lyrics...

Does he mention in any of his lyrics that he used to live near Dane Mc-f***ing-Loud by any chance? ;)

Halfcan
06-12-2009, 03:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o1HCW0-hOo

That video should be called "talk to the hand"

Whats up with his hand in the camera and those gay black gloves?

lame

bango
06-12-2009, 04:45 PM
The rock station in our chain is playing "Arma-goddam-mother-****ing-geddon" from the new cd fwiw... just calling it Armageddon obviously.

On the Alternative Station out here they play the older ones. I rarely get the chance to listen to the Rock Station.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Does he mention in any of his lyrics that he used to live near Dane Mc-f***ing-Loud by any chance? ;)

I think that's what the song "May Cause Discoloration of Urine And Feces" is about.

The Franchise
12-19-2014, 10:55 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F9YJS4nTNsM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KRKsF17wY30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

THE PALE EMPEROR is available in stores January 20, 2015

WhiteWhale
12-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Manson now looks like an out of shape 50 year old lesbian.

Time has not been kind.

ModSocks
12-19-2014, 04:19 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/F9YJS4nTNsM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KRKsF17wY30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

THE PALE EMPEROR is available in stores January 20, 2015

I like it. I couldn't get into his last album though. I tried, just wasn't feeling it at all.

The Franchise
12-19-2014, 04:19 PM
I like it. I couldn't get into his last album though. I tried, just wasn't feeling it at all.

Same here.

kcxiv
12-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Third day is a good song, i dig it.

rabblerouser
12-20-2014, 01:15 AM
Marilyn Manson kicks ASS.

rabblerouser
12-20-2014, 01:18 AM
Manson now looks like an out of shape 50 year old lesbian.

Time has not been kind.

Lots of coke+alcohol+no exercise/sun×valium/xanax variable÷his slowing down of touring/album cycles over the years = Big MM

lewdog
12-20-2014, 09:00 AM
Not bad. I'll give it a listen when it comes out.