PDA

View Full Version : Life Father's Day help

Farzin
06-12-2009, 01:06 AM
My father has been smoking since he was 16 years old. He's tried everything in his past: patches, doctor visits, etc. But it has not helped him to completely stop. I remember ten years ago, he'd smoke a couple packs a day, now he smokes half a pack a day and he means a lot to me and I don't want to lose him.

If you are a former smoker and can let me know what you did to stop smoking, I'd really appreciate it!

KCChiefsMan
06-12-2009, 01:45 AM
I'd like to know too. I quit once for about 6 months, I craved a damn cig every single day during that 6 months.

acesn8s
06-12-2009, 01:51 AM
hypnosis?

Chiefs=Champions
06-12-2009, 02:20 AM
Nicorette gum worked for my step dad a former two pack a day smoker..

CrazyPhuD
06-12-2009, 02:33 AM
Heh as kids I used to steal both my grandfathers cigarettes and hide them. I was too young to know if it was the deciding factor, but it did work. Both of them quit. Although I still lost one to lung cancer. :(

Slainte
06-12-2009, 03:00 AM
You have to learn to hate smoking.

I smoked for 24 years & quit 3 1/2 years ago. No patches, no Nicorette gum, no hypnosis, laser treatments, none of that stuff, although I had tried most of those in my various failed attempts to stop over the years. Whrn I did finally quit, I'm sure it was because I finally became utterly disgusted with cigarettes, cigarette smaoke and what the hell I was doing to my long-term physical health.

Today I wouldn't smoke a cigarette if someone offered me $100,000. I've absolutely no desire to ever light up again.

Abba-Dabba
06-12-2009, 03:19 AM
Chantix. It was a lifesaver. Nothing else even came close to beating my nicotine addiction.

acesn8s
06-12-2009, 03:30 AM
You have to learn to hate smoking.

I smoked for 24 years & quit 3 1/2 years ago. No patches, no Nicorette gum, no hypnosis, laser treatments, none of that stuff, although I had tried most of those in my various failed attempts to stop over the years. Whrn I did finally quit, I'm sure it was because I finally became utterly disgusted with cigarettes, cigarette smaoke and what the hell I was doing to my long-term physical health.

Today I wouldn't smoke a cigarette if someone offered me $100,000. I've absolutely no desire to ever light up again.This

I got tired of having bad breath all the time and smelling like an ashtray.

Bugeater
06-12-2009, 06:50 AM
Chantix worked incredibly well for me...until I started hating my job more than I hated smoking...problem is it isn't something you can go buy and give it to him for a gift. At least not legally anyway.

bkkcoh
06-12-2009, 06:54 AM
get some cigarette loads and put in all of his pack when it gets low. Maybe it will scare him enough to stop. Unless of course he has a heart condition, then that wouldn't be a wise thing to do.

BigRedChief
06-12-2009, 06:58 AM
My father has been smoking since he was 16 years old. He's tried everything in his past: patches, doctor visits, etc. But it has not helped him to completely stop. I remember ten years ago, he'd smoke a couple packs a day, now he smokes half a pack a day and he means a lot to me and I don't want to lose him.

If you are a former smoker and can let me know what you did to stop smoking, I'd really appreciate it!
There is a 600+ post thread about quitting smoking here:
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=121666&highlight=quitting+smoking

Lots of good tips and tricks in there.

Lumpy
06-12-2009, 08:39 AM
I've tried all the cessation methods out there, (w/ the exception of pills and hypnosis). They didn't work for me either. The patches are fun though... they made me have very vivid dreams.