PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Air compressor recommendation

cdcox
06-12-2009, 08:43 AM
I will buy an air compressor in the next few months.

I'll definitely use it for running nailers. Any compressor will work for this purpose.

I have an interest in developing a hobby in wood working. It seems like the ability to run an LVLP spray gun would be a big advantage, although there are other ways of applying furniture finishes.

I'm considering a couple of different kits.

1) Porter Cable 6 gallon compressor with 3 nailers for around $300. This deal was a whole lot better a few months ago when you could get this package for around $240. Pros: I'll get 3 nailers. I'll use 2 of them pretty extensively and will probably have use for the third. Cons: I can't run a spray gun from this little compressor.

2) Husky 20 gallon compressor for around $200. It comes with a cheapo air ratchet and some other accessories. It has about twice the cfm capacity as the PC unit. I like the fact I could run a LVLP spray gun off this compressor (according to the specs for both the spray gun and compressor). I also could buy one nailer for the price difference between this and the PC kit.

Any one have any experience with LVLP spray guns?

I'm not willing to shell out $500 or more for a compressor at this time. I'm wondering if the Husky compressor and an LVLP spray gun actually allow me to spray paint (fairly large projects, but only occasional use) or if I'm just buying a big headache trying to spray paint on the cheap?

Alton deFlat
06-12-2009, 08:51 AM
FWIW, we had a Husky air compressor shell out here at work last week. It ran but quit pumping. Granted, it got used fairly heavily, so it may not be a fair comparison. We took it apart to see if it was repairable, and found it is a pretty cheaply made compressor pump.

Brock
06-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Porter Cable stuff I've had some luck with. Don't know about Husky.

Old Dog
06-12-2009, 09:03 AM
I have a Porter Cable and haven't had any issues with it (knock on wood)

jimhitter
06-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I would stay away from the Husky, they are cheap low priced imports. Porter cable has always had good compressors. Dewalt offers 4 models around $300 and under. You shouldn't have any issues running a HVLP spray gun from a small compressor. I/4" inlet, 40-50psi requirements for that type of tool.

Check out the D55153 from Dewalt.

KINGPIN CHIEFS FAN
06-12-2009, 11:24 AM
I work for an air compressor company and we constantly get customers coming in saying they bought these cheap air compressors and now they break down and wonder if we can fix them. We tell them that it would cost more to repair them then they paid for them to start with. You get what you pay for. If you want to go the cheap route then you will have nothing but problems. If you want something that will last 15-20 years then invest in a 3 HP Quincy compressor with a 30 gallon tank for around $800 and you won't have to worry about inferior equipment.

MOhillbilly
06-12-2009, 11:27 AM
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=compressor&Nty=1&D=compressor&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial