PDA

View Full Version : Royals Joe Poz on Last Night's Royals Meltdown

gblowfish
06-12-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm laughing thru the tears...

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/06/11/seeing-seagulls-by-the-lakeshore/

CoMoChief
06-12-2009, 09:06 AM
I can't stand it when people don't post the actual article on the site.

Frazod
06-12-2009, 09:11 AM
The link isn't working for me. :shrug:

Deberg_1990
06-12-2009, 09:13 AM
So Farnsworth turned back into Farnsworth again....

gblowfish
Story from the site:
(Joe Posnanski's Blog):

The Kansas City Royals lost Thursday night when the game-winning hit bounced off a seagull.

Now, that sentence — as marvelously constructed as it may be — is a bit misleading. The Royals were going to lose anyway Thursday night. They really lost when, up two-runs in the eighth, they committed two errors on what looked like a double-play grounder to first and when closer Joakim Soria left a curveball up to Cleveland’s Jhonny Peralta. They really lost when reliever Kyle Farnsworth … well, do you really need to say more than that? Kyle Farnsworth is an absolutely remarkable pitcher. For the last month and a half, he has been placed into low-pressure situations and he has been virtually unhittable. League hit .148 against him! Strikeout to walk ratio of 17-2! Zero earned runs!

As soon as the Royals put him into the game on Thursday — tie score, top of the 10th inning — he immediately turned back into Kyle Farnsworth.* A leadoff seeing-eye single. A walk. A line drive hit up the middle that bounced off a seagull and skipped past centerfielder Coco Crisp. Ballgame.

No, it wouldn’t have mattered — we all know Coco isn’t throwing anyone out at the plate.

But it does matter. Because, bottom line, the top-line sentence is accurate. The Royals lost when a ball hit a seagull. And it’s just last latest addition to the list of remarkable things I have had the chance to witness since arriving in Kansas City thirteen years ago.

I have seen a manager, in an effort to inspire his team, jump into a shower with his clothes on. I have seen another manager, in an effort to inspire his team, promise to smile more. That manager also believed his team had too many milk-drinkers, not enough tequila drinkers. I have seen two managers quit in the middle of the season and a third manager get told he was fired by the reporters who covered the team. I have seen a parade of pitching coaches fired, a handful of hitting coaches fired, a couple of bullpen coaches let go and numerous bench coaches reassigned.

I have seen a centerfielder race back to the wall, set himself, time his leap and … watch the ball land 10 feet in front of him on the warning track. The ball then bounced over his head for a ground-rule double — the umpires were so confused they initially called it a home run. The call was righted eventually but one of my favorite moments as a Royals observer was watching the Royals’ manager race out to argue the call. I could only imagine the exchange.

Manager: That ball landed on the warning track. How could you miss that?
Umpire: Because your centerfielder climbed the wall?
Manager: Uh, good point. Listen, I’ll go back to the dugout. You guys work it out.

Mine eyes have seen the glory of a player named Chip Ambres, who played in only 53 games with Kansas City, but managed in that short period of time to make team history TWICE. Ambres made his first appearance for the Royals on July 20. Eight days later, on July 28, he hit his first big league home run. The Royals lost that game to Tampa 10-5 … and that was the first loss in what would become a 19-game losing streak.

Historic moment No. 1 happened on August 9th, when the Royals were leading Cleveland 7-2 going into the ninth inning. Mike MacDougal was the Royals closer then — or at least that’s what they called him — and he promptly gave up a double to Casey Blake, a double to Grady Sizemore, a single to Coco Crisp (Coco has seen the Kansas City thing from both sides now). That made it 7-4. After a strikeout, MacDougal gave up ANOTHER double to Travis Hafner. Victor Martinez singled. It was 7-5.

And then the real fun began. Ronnie Belliard popped up to short … but Angel Berroa dropped it. The Royals did get an out there on a play at second. So it was 7-6, but there were two outs.

And that’s when Jeff Liefer lifted a fly ball to Chip Ambres in left field. Anyone who heard the call by Royals announcer Denny Matthews will never forget it: “There’s a fly ball to left field and … he dropped it. Yes he did.” There was no doubt in Denny’s voice at all. The Indians ended up scoring 11 runs in the inning and winning the game.* That, incidentally, was lost No. 11 in a row for the Royals.

*Another highlight of that inning was when right fielder Emil Brown tried to kick the ball back into the infield. He was not quite successful.

Later, in historic moment No. 2 — just mentioned this the other day — Ambres (playing center) and left-fielder Terrence Long converged on a fly ball and then, each thinking the other would make the play, began jogging toward the dugout. The ball plopped down behind them. I remember going into the radio booth to ask Denny if he had ever seen anything like that before. He considered the question for a moment. And then he said: “Nope.”

Other stuff I’ve seen: I saw the Royals lose once when a pitcher, attempting to start an inning-ending double play, slipped on the rosin bag and threw the ball into centerfield. … I saw the Royals begin a game batting out of order. I mean, batting out of order is one thing, but the FIRST BATTER was out of order? … I saw a Royals baserunner literally fall off of first base on a pickoff attempt. He got back to the bag safely and then, almost in slow motion, he just fell off the base and was tagged out. … I saw the Royals lose a game when, with the bases loaded, a batter hit a ball back to Mike MacDougal. He threw home — literally. The ball had to be at least 5 feet over the catcher’s head. I remember it being 10 feet high. … I saw the Royals release a pitcher IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GAME … I saw a Royals prospect, with two runners in scoring position, look so frightened that, even though the opposing pitcher threw three batting practice fastballs right over the heart of the plate, he never even thought about swinging. … I saw the Royals try out a professional softball pitcher … I saw a Royals pitcher get hurt during spring training SLIDING practice (you might recall, the Royals are an American League club) … I saw Esteban German get hit in the face with a fly ball because (1) he was playing centerfield, (2) he’s not a centerfielder, (3) the sun was out and (4) he was not wearing his sunglasses. Fortunately, Esty was wearing his sunglasses on the flight home after the game so no one could see his shiner … I saw Tony Pena lose a ball in the sun because he wasn’t wearing sunglasses. After the game, Pena explained that he had ordered his sunglasses but “they had not come in yet.” … I saw Royals pitcher Miguel Asencio throw 16 consecutive balls to start off his major league career. … I saw the Royals draft the first high school pitcher who ever officially threw 100 mph. Apparently, nobody noticed that he did not throw strikes.

Of course, there’s the Ken Harvey oeuvre. Once, he lost a battle with a tarp. Once, as the cut-off man, he turned his back on an outfield throw and got hit in the back. Once he threw a baseball into his own pitcher’s face.*

*Harvey, you will note, was the Royals All-Star in 2004. He then played in 12 games for the Royals in 2005 and he hasn’t played a big league game since. A little while ago, he was released by the Kansas City T-Bones Independent league team.

There was the time a Royals pitcher complained because he could not get any no-decisions. … There was the time the Royals decided to call up a pitcher named Eduardo Villacis to pitch at Yankee Stadium because … well, no one knew. No one on the team had ever even heard of him. Villacis gave up 5 runs in 3 1/3 innings, walked four, struck out none, and the Royals sent him back down and then released him. He never again pitched in the big leagues. … There was the time a Royals outfield “accidentally” shot a television reporter with a pellet gun. … There was the time outfielder Mark Quinn finally walked after a long, long streak without walking. Someone set off fireworks at the stadium. … There was the time a pitcher, frustrated by a bad rehab start, broke his hand hitting a door. …

More. So much more. I’ve written about so many of these things again and again, but I cannot help it. Something bad happens and it all rushes back. This team, well, someday something good is going to happen for this team. Someday.

Tonight, though, they lost when a ball hit a seagull. Well, why not? Why the hell not?

*Alternate headline: I ran. I ran so far away. Couldn’t get away.

Mecca
Nah the best part is Coco losing the ball in the birds.

Deberg_1990
06-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Im really surprised MLB doesnt count that as interference?? WTF??

Should it not be a dead play?

gblowfish
06-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Nah the best part is Coco losing the ball in the birds.

Wasn't Coco's fault. The gull was squaking "MINE.....MINE.....MINE!!!"

Mecca
06-12-2009, 09:19 AM
I'd like to add, what's with Soria? Dude is not the same pitcher.

Demonpenz
06-12-2009, 09:30 AM
I think the pitcher that was released midgame was wellemeyer, no sweeney reference from getting hit in the back, or peralta throwing the only pitch craig monroe can ever hit (cock high fastball)

Baby Lee
06-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Im really surprised MLB doesnt count that as interference?? WTF??

Should it not be a dead play?

Was that pitch The Big Unit killed a bird with called a ball?

Demonpenz
06-12-2009, 09:33 AM
not a play but just typical Royals shennanigans a couple years ago july 4th the fireworks didn't go off and they looped first 40 seconds "COMING TO AMERICA" by nei diamond for 20 minutes

Old Dog
06-12-2009, 09:35 AM
I'd like to add, what's with Soria? Dude is not the same pitcher.

I thought the same thing. Didn't seem like he had near as much movement and he threw way more breaking balls than normal.

Demonpenz
06-12-2009, 09:37 AM
I thought the same thing. Didn't seem like he had near as much movement and he threw way more breaking balls than normal.

he's hurt, but not injured. Arm problems suck, especially when you have already had dangerous surgery before. He is going to try to get by with smoke and mirrors from now on, which sucks ass, but 1) it's the royals 2) he is trying to get paid 3) who cares its the royals

CoMoChief
06-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Some of that stuff he witnessed is just mind boggling.

2 people jogging back to the dugout thinking the other would make the play?

Ken Harvey getting hit in the back on a cut off route?

Dropped easy pop outs?

God, this is tee ball shit.

sedated
06-12-2009, 09:52 AM
so many wonderful memories.

my college roommate loved watching royals games with me - he had never seen so much crazy shit happen to one team.

sedated
06-12-2009, 09:53 AM
no sweeney reference from getting hit in the back

when was that? it was around the time Harvey got hit in the back, wasn't it?

2004 was a magical season.

teedubya
06-12-2009, 09:55 AM
Wasn't Coco's fault. The gull was squaking "MINE.....MINE.....MINE!!!"

Wow. A Finding Nemo reference. Nice.

Deberg_1990
06-12-2009, 09:58 AM
This team, well, someday something good is going to happen for this team. Someday.

I dont believe it Joe.

KCUnited
06-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Whew, hit me again Ike!

leviw
06-12-2009, 10:18 AM
he's hurt, but not injured. Arm problems suck, especially when you have already had dangerous surgery before. He is going to try to get by with smoke and mirrors from now on, which sucks ass, but 1) it's the royals 2) he is trying to get paid 3) who cares its the royals

He should be shut down if "who cares it's the royals" is truly the case, because he's not going to get paid more than he is now -- he just signed a four-year contract in the middle of last season.

Also remember he's working his way back from more than a month off. I'm sure there is rust. I'm guessing he'll be fine.

But this is reason No. 3,654 he shouldn't be a starter.

Arsonist
06-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I have no words to describe my frustration :banghead:

Deberg_1990
06-12-2009, 10:40 AM
hehe. Farnsworth: The Anti Chuck Norris

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/06/11/farnsworth-facts/?1feae960

Anyway, yes, Farnsworth’s career is hard to explain. So, yes, if someone wanted to start a different kind of facts page, an anti-Chuck Norris page … I think Kyle Farnsworth would be the No. 1 candidate. You know:

– Every dog has his day … except Kyle Farnsworth.
– When Kyle Farnsworth gets 21, it’s not blackjack.
– A rolling stone gathers no moss … it’s all on Kyle Farnsworth.
– A broken clock is right twice a day … which is more than Kyle Farnsworth.
– When Kyle Farnsworth lands on Free Parking in Monopoly, he has to pay.
– Two wrongs don’t make a right. They make a Kyle Farnsworth inning.
– There’s no crying in baseball, except when Kyle Farnsworth comes in.

And so on.

Demonpenz
06-12-2009, 10:42 AM
He should be shut down if "who cares it's the royals" is truly the case, because he's not going to get paid more than he is now -- he just signed a four-year contract in the middle of last season.

Also remember he's working his way back from more than a month off. I'm sure there is rust. I'm guessing he'll be fine.

But this is reason No. 3,654 he shouldn't be a starter.

he will get shelled again, then he will go on the 15 dl then the rest of the year.

Demonpenz
06-12-2009, 10:44 AM
when was that? it was around the time Harvey got hit in the back, wasn't it?

2004 was a magical season.

you will have to google it. I have a thread about it I think they were trying to double someone up at first on a infield pop but no one was playing first and the guy nailed sweeney in the back who went down in a heep Dorn style in major leage

58kcfan89
06-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Some of that stuff he witnessed is just mind boggling.

2 people jogging back to the dugout thinking the other would make the play?

Ken Harvey getting hit in the back on a cut off route?

Dropped easy pop outs?

God, this is tee ball shit.

:LOL: LMAO ROFL

We need a new word to describe this team, because "frustrating" doesn't cut it. I'm not even sure "cursed" works any more...

teedubya
06-12-2009, 11:57 AM
:LOL: LMAO ROFL

We need a new word to describe this team, because "frustrating" doesn't cut it. I'm not even sure "cursed" works any more...

ROY-YALS BASEBALL!!

We're Fucking Retarded!

teedubya
06-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Royals baseball!!!

INFURIATINGLY FUN!!

gblowfish
06-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Royals Baseball: We DARE you to watch this!

Frazod
06-12-2009, 12:12 PM
hehe. Farnsworth: The Anti Chuck Norris

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/06/11/farnsworth-facts/?1feae960

Anyway, yes, Farnsworth’s career is hard to explain. So, yes, if someone wanted to start a different kind of facts page, an anti-Chuck Norris page … I think Kyle Farnsworth would be the No. 1 candidate. You know:

– Every dog has his day … except Kyle Farnsworth.
– When Kyle Farnsworth gets 21, it’s not blackjack.
– A rolling stone gathers no moss … it’s all on Kyle Farnsworth.
– A broken clock is right twice a day … which is more than Kyle Farnsworth.
– When Kyle Farnsworth lands on Free Parking in Monopoly, he has to pay.
– Two wrongs don’t make a right. They make a Kyle Farnsworth inning.
– There’s no crying in baseball, except when Kyle Farnsworth comes in.

And so on.

LMAO Those are great. I may have to steal this list and use it for Todd Wellemeyer.

Demonpenz
06-12-2009, 12:17 PM
kyle farnsworth got a zero playing ski ball

DJJasonp
06-12-2009, 12:31 PM
kyle farnsworth got a zero playing ski ball

well played sir....well played! :LOL:

Titty Meat
06-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Farmsworth is good cuz Dayton Moore signed him and The Royals have improved 5 games since Dayton Moore!

Demonpenz
06-12-2009, 12:40 PM
bunnyranch Whores screw less people Than farnsworth

Demonpenz
06-12-2009, 12:42 PM
having Farnsworth pitch before Great White went on stage was a bad idea

Demonpenz
06-12-2009, 12:43 PM
The claw in the bearclaw game goes back and to the right by itself at the bowling alley when farnsworth plays

Demonpenz
06-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Farnsworth paid sticker for a pontiac aztec

teedubya
06-12-2009, 12:44 PM
With Kyle Farnsworth on the Royals, we improved substantially... it took until the first part of June to get in last place this year!!

BigOlChiefsfan
06-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Yeah but...I'd like to point out that seagulls are always yankee fans. It's not like we need any help staying in the basement. I'm just saying.

Baby Lee
06-13-2009, 05:54 AM
Farnsworth wears a wolfshirt, as an undershirt.

Mama Hip Rockets
06-13-2009, 12:49 PM
I can't stand it when people don't post the actual article on the site.

holy shit, we have reached epic levels of laziness when a grown man is too lazy to click a fucking link on a web site.

CoMoChief
06-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Farnsworth paid sticker for a pontiac aztec

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

CoMoChief
06-13-2009, 12:52 PM
holy shit, we have reached epic levels of laziness when a grown man is too lazy to click a ****ing link on a web site.

The link didn't work for many people that first viewed the thread jackass.

Mama Hip Rockets
06-13-2009, 12:54 PM
The link didn't work for many people that first viewed the thread jackass.

that may be true, but did you even try?

CoMoChief
06-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Royals Baseball: We DARE you to watch this!

:LOL:

Reminds me of a recent South Park episode where this killer makes Eric Cartmen watch picture slides of vactions he took.

CoMoChief
06-13-2009, 12:58 PM
that may be true, but did you even try?

Yes I did try yesterday and it didn't work. It works now though.

Either way its frowned upon to not post the story/article in the thread opener.