PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Damion James returning to Texas

POND_OF_RED
06-13-2009, 12:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4256335
Texas junior wing Damion James couldn't get a guarantee that he'd be a first-round pick in this month's NBA draft. So he did what most NBA personnel have advised: He decided to go back to school to improve his chances for the 2010 draft.

James informed Texas coach Rick Barnes late Friday night that he would be returning for his senior season, according to a Texas spokesperson.

Texas was expected to make the official announcement this weekend. James canceled a workout Saturday for New Jersey. The deadline to withdraw from the June 25 entry draft is 5 p.m. ET Monday.

James was invited to the NBA draft combine in Chicago, but wasn't convincing enough there, or in individual team workouts, to make him a first-round pick.

James will be the top returning scorer for the Longhorns, averaging 15.4 points a game last season behind outgoing senior guard A.J. Abrams (16.6 ppg). James' return should help Texas be a preseason top-10 pick and a favorite to nip at likely No. 1 Kansas in the race for the Big 12 title.

Texas returns guards Justin Mason, Varez Ward and Dogus Balbay to go along with James, and added the top position players in the ESPNU 100 in shooting guard Avery Bradley out of Findlay College Prep (Wa.) and small forward Jordan Hamilton out of Dominguez High (Calif.).

Small forward Shawn Williams (Duncanville High, Texas) and Florida transfer guard Jai Lucas are expected to make an impact as well. Lucas should compete for the starting point guard position.

Texas also returns its starting front line of Dexter Pittman and Gary Johnson, two players who Barnes repeatedly has said could compete for all-Big 12 honors, and he fully expects them to have a banner season.

Barnes, never one to hide from pumping his team if deserved, has said Texas could be one of the better teams in the country. Getting James back to lead this crew certainly enhances his position.

Looks like Texas will be the favorite to take the big 12 this year with this news.

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Nobody cares !

BWillie
06-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Texas could be sick next year, along w/ the big 12

Mr. Krab
06-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Wow, i thought the deadline for the NBA draft was a long time ago.

Ceej
06-13-2009, 12:51 PM
O rly? Texas the favorite to win it all next year? I think that's tough to predict. Especially with KU losing nobody and didn't Texas lose Abrams? I don't think it's safe to call anyone a favorite in the B12 this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

BWillie
06-13-2009, 12:54 PM
Is Jodie Meeks and Pat Patterson coming back?

POND_OF_RED
06-13-2009, 02:02 PM
O rly? Texas the favorite to win it all next year? I think that's tough to predict. Especially with KU losing nobody and didn't Texas lose Abrams? I don't think it's safe to call anyone a favorite in the B12 this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

KU returns a little more but Texas has a much better recruiting class coming in.

CoMoChief
06-13-2009, 02:23 PM
KU returns a little more but Texas has a much better recruiting class coming in.

ROFL Bullshit.

Ceej
06-13-2009, 03:29 PM

A better recruiting class or a seasoned, veteran-lead team. No question who I would take.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buehler445
06-13-2009, 03:50 PM
UT is flat scary every damn year.

The game is in Lawrence this year, right?

Ceej
06-13-2009, 03:56 PM
This just in - the NCAA is going to annoint the team with the best recruiting class with the NCAA Championship trophy. CBB is going to be canceled due to the economic crisis. Goodbye cruel world.
Posted via Mobile Device

POND_OF_RED
06-14-2009, 10:58 AM
A better recruiting class or a seasoned, veteran-lead team. No question who I would take.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pretty sure Texas will be starting 3 seniors so I'm not sure this is a logical way to look at it...

doomy3
06-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Pretty sure Texas will be starting 3 seniors so I'm not sure this is a logical way to look at it...

Are you a Texas fan?

POND_OF_RED
06-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Are you a Texas fan?

not at all

Ceej
06-14-2009, 11:04 AM
This thread lost all logic when you said Texas is the favorite to win it all because they have a better recruiting class come in. Didn't KU split the B12 this season with no seniors? You can still be a veteran-lead team w/ no seniors..
Posted via Mobile Device

doomy3
06-14-2009, 11:23 AM
not at all

So, what's the point of this thread?

CoMoChief
06-14-2009, 11:24 AM
This thread lost all logic when you said Texas is the favorite to win it all because they have a better recruiting class come in. Didn't KU split the B12 this season with no seniors? You can still be a veteran-lead team w/ no seniors..
Posted via Mobile Device

They (KU) won it outright IIRC.

POND_OF_RED
06-14-2009, 11:40 AM

Was the thread title to difficult to read? Damion James is returning to Texas.

Just figured there are a lot of big 12 fans on this site. Having a top player like James come back to a team with the top SG and SF recruits in the country is pretty big news for Big 12 basketball.

WildTurkey
06-14-2009, 01:16 PM

To rile up KU fans..... in an indirect way

Skip Towne
06-14-2009, 01:26 PM
To rile up KU fans..... in an indirect way

That's what I thought too so I'm not going to argue with him.

CoMoChief
06-14-2009, 02:05 PM
POND of RED is a huge MU fane trying to ruffle KU fans feathers.

DJay23
06-14-2009, 04:21 PM
UT is flat scary every damn year.

The game is in Lawrence this year, right?

In Austin

DJay23
06-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Didn't KU split the B12 this season with no seniors? You can still be a veteran-lead team w/ no seniors..
Posted via Mobile Device

Won it outright last season.

POND_OF_RED
06-14-2009, 04:23 PM
POND of RED is a huge MU fane trying to ruffle KU fans feathers.

I didn't realize posting news was trying to ruffle your feathers. Damion James was there top scorer. He's returning to a team that looked like a legit contender without him. I figured I would just post the news but you Beaker fans are a pretty sensitive bunch.