PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Chiefs wait to measure Jackson’s progress

Tribal Warfare
06-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Chiefs wait to measure Jackson’s progress (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/1254012.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Tyson Jackson has passed Chiefs coach Todd Haley’s first test, and that’s a big one. Jackson will have to wait a few weeks before Kansas City moves forward, the pads come on, and the team’s first-round pick has his chance to look the part.

Jackson, the rookie defensive end, has done all the right things mentally, Haley said Monday, but the coach added that it would be unfair to measure any defensive lineman’s physical progress before the team begins full-contact drills when training camp opens in late July.

Thursday will be the Chiefs’ final offseason practice, and those workouts feature little or no contact, and players don’t wear shoulder pads. Because of this, Haley admitted that one of the Chiefs’ most unreliable positions during last year’s 2-14 season, the defensive line, remains a question as the team approaches its first season under him.

“Once we get those pads on,” Haley said, “we will get a true evaluation. … So much can change when the pads are on.

“The guys are starting to get it because this is a whole new ballgame for them.”

He was talking about the Chiefs’ shift to a 3-4 defensive front, a move Haley fancied from his days as Arizona’s offensive coordinator. The change required several significant personnel adjustments, including the move of several veteran linemen to linebackers and the selection of Jackson with the No. 3 overall pick.

The choice was unexpected, as Jackson was projected to be a mid- to late-first rounder, but the Chiefs saw the former Louisiana State standout as an essential piece to running the 3-4. Now that Kansas City has one player it sees as part of its long-term defensive foundation, the drama begins on whether Jackson will be signed and with the team when it begins training camp July 31 in River Falls, Wis.

He said Monday that he hopes to be there on time but that he has “no idea” whether a contract will be finalized by then.

“I’m still confident,” Jackson said. “My agent is going to do a real good job. I really don’t know too much about it, but I’m pretty sure he’s going to do a good job and put me in camp when I’m supposed to be there.”

Jackson’s agent, Eugene Parker, also represents New England defensive lineman Richard Seymour, meaning he’s likely familiar with Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, the Patriots’ former longtime personnel executive.

Kansas City had one of its two first- round draft picks last year in camp on time. Left tackle Branden Albert agreed to contract terms the day before camp began, and top pick Glenn Dorsey missed the first day of practice before his deal was finalized.

Jackson said Monday that he has enough on his mind to concern himself with contract talks. He said he didn’t know where negotiations stand, saying he has devoted his attention to learning the Chiefs’ complicated new defense.

“I don’t even think about it,” he said of contract discussions. “There’s too much in the playbook for me to worry about that right now.”

Jackson and Kansas City’s other rookies will remain with the team for conditioning work after the Chiefs’ final practice Thursday. Jackson admitted that he needs work before he’s ready to assume what is expected to be a starting role in the fall. Jackson said that, upon joining the Chiefs for practice after the draft, he would have given his comfort level a failing grade; now, he said, it is up to a C.

“I’m starting to get the rhythm to it,” he said, “but I still have a long way to go. There are some things that you can use to your advantage in college that you can’t use to your advantage in the pros. Guys are way smarter.”

He said he has leaned on veteran lineman Alfonso Boone to answer questions, and other veterans have noticed the rookie paying attention to details. Tank Tyler, who has his own adjustment to make as he moves to nose tackle from defensive tackle, said Jackson has the right attitude in this early — and chaotic — stage of his career.

“He pays attention; he knows his plays,” Tyler said. “That’s the first step to going out there and executing. I see a lot of will and a lot of drive out of him. He’s a good kid in my eyes.”

Haley said Jackson and the other linemen appear to have made most of the mental adjustments the new coaching staff has required, and with all of the changes, that hasn’t been easy. The Chiefs are reinforcing the basics of defense and rebuilding from there.

“They’re learning where to line up,” Haley said.

As the team nears the conclusion of the offseason, plenty more work remains. Jackson said he was relieved that there is time between these practices and training camp. His teammates aren’t complaining, either.

“It’s a challenge, but we have to do it,” Tyler said. “We have to know the playbook; we have to know what to do first. It’s coming together.”

•ROOKIE WASHINGTON ARRIVES: Rookie cornerback Donald Washington attended his first Chiefs practice Monday morning, two days after commencement ceremonies at Ohio State University.

Washington, the team’s fourth-round pick, was an underclassman and couldn’t attend NFL workouts before his school’s graduation date, according to NCAA rules. Washington performed only individual work Monday, and Haley said coaches will keep a close eye on the cornerback to help him learn what he’s missed.

“We will have somebody hanging with him to work and get him up to speed,” Haley said. “We are going to catch him up in all areas.”

BarrySPAMAID
06-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Well, I expect Scott Pioli will have Tyson Jackson signed prior to the start of camp. I am really excited to see Tank Tyler in the nose tackle position. I think this is going to fun to watch. I also hear good things about Tamba Hali shedding the weight. I really feel his weight had alot to do with his season last year, and he will be a lot quicker this year. This defense is going to look really good come week one.

WhitiE
06-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Well, I expect Scott Pioli will have Tyson Jackson signed prior to the start of camp. I am really excited to see Tank Tyler in the nose tackle position. I think this is going to fun to watch. I also hear good things about Tamba Hali shedding the weight. I really feel his weight had alot to do with his season last year, and he will be a lot quicker this year. This defense is going to look really good come week one.
maybe week four

DaneMcCloud
06-16-2009, 04:35 PM
maybe week four

Of the 2010 season

ModSocks
06-16-2009, 05:02 PM
Who was it that predicted this would be an article a few days ago after the Haley presser?

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Of the 2010 season

My gut tells me that the defense is going to be better than the offense this year.

CoMoChief
06-16-2009, 05:20 PM
My gut tells me that the defense is going to be better than the offense this year.

Of course it is, we don't really have any weapons on offense.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-16-2009, 05:21 PM

And that's WITH two rookies at DE.

Sweet Daddy Hate
06-16-2009, 05:23 PM

What chu' talkin' bout Willis? We got new and improved Pistol as far as the eye can see!!!:doh!:

BarrySPAMAID
06-17-2009, 12:12 AM
There ireally is no acceptable reason for Pioli to NOT have all players in camp, on time, and signed. I really dont see any legit excuse as to why they should'nt be. They know the task ahead, and I think we should see all of our players in camp.

As far as offense, and the weapons that we DONT have,...NO WAY. I call it a cop out. Sorry. Jamaal Charles will be HUGE in this new Offense. Larry Johnson has a chance to bring new life back to his career. ( A last chance ), and they have small flatbead of receivers to choose from in camp. They have Three capable quarterbacks, a much better offensive line with the addition of Mike Goff. Then you have the good competition at TE, which will be refreshing now that Tony is gone, and you have Jackie Battle. My darkhorse player that I am hoping Haley will assign to the FB position, although I wont hold my breath.

I think there is plenty of talent on this offense, and here we are worried about our defense being better? We need our defense to push this new offense in camp. Lets also not forget that this offense was doing ok at the end of the season, and they added a better quarterback. I have all the confidence in the world in Matt Cassel. The kid comes to play. I see greatness in him. I'm sorry. Call me an optimist, call me whatever, I am really excited to see what Matt Cassel does.

Write em off peeps,....Barry smells Cinderella. Write that down.

ChiefMojo
06-17-2009, 07:10 AM
I think both units as a whole will be better. Sure I want to see if we have enough WR's? Sure I want to see this new attacking defense is action? With all that said, I think the whole team mental make-up is drastically changed. I think we are at least 3-4 games better by just mental make-up alone.

I love how it seems most all the players are working their butts off to learn the systems and to be in the right positions. That is night and day from what we had in Herm ran football. Those that can't cut it, will be gone in due time.

milkman
06-17-2009, 07:31 AM
There ireally is no acceptable reason for Pioli to NOT have all players in camp, on time, and signed. I really dont see any legit excuse as to why they should'nt be. They know the task ahead, and I think we should see all of our players in camp.

As far as offense, and the weapons that we DONT have,...NO WAY. I call it a cop out. Sorry. Jamaal Charles will be HUGE in this new Offense. Larry Johnson has a chance to bring new life back to his career. ( A last chance ), and they have small flatbead of receivers to choose from in camp. They have Three capable quarterbacks, a much better offensive line with the addition of Mike Goff. Then you have the good competition at TE, which will be refreshing now that Tony is gone, and you have Jackie Battle. My darkhorse player that I am hoping Haley will assign to the FB position, although I wont hold my breath.

I think there is plenty of talent on this offense, and here we are worried about our defense being better? We need our defense to push this new offense in camp. Lets also not forget that this offense was doing ok at the end of the season, and they added a better quarterback. I have all the confidence in the world in Matt Cassel. The kid comes to play. I see greatness in him. I'm sorry. Call me an optimist, call me whatever, I am really excited to see what Matt Cassel does.

Call you whatever?

How about dumbass?

TheGuardian
06-17-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm pretty positive if Tyson doesn't look like the second coming of Reggie White by week 10 of the season some people in here will be calling him a bust.

milkman
06-17-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm pretty positive if Tyson doesn't look like the second coming of Reggie White by week 10 of the season some people in here will be calling him a bust.

You underestimate the people here.

By week 5.

bdeg
06-17-2009, 08:33 AM
wait why are we giving him more than one game, again?

one game is all i need

step up or GTFO!

King_Chief_Fan
06-17-2009, 09:49 AM

I wrote something down o.k..........Barry smells.

Mr. Krab
06-17-2009, 10:01 AM
You underestimate the people here.

By week 5.
Weren't you part a group that said Aaron Curry would have to have double digit sacks and be Mike Singletary-ish if he were taken at #3? Doesn't the same standard apply to Jackson? Unless of course the Curry stuff was just about bunch of crap to harass people that liked curry. :hmmm:

milkman
06-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Weren't you part a group that said Aaron Curry would have to have double digit sacks and be Mike Singletary-ish if he were taken at #3? Doesn't the same standard apply to Jackson? Unless of course the Curry stuff was just about bunch of crap to harass people that liked curry. :hmmm:

My post has nothing to do with Jackson's value.
It is about the planet mentality.

MMXcalibur
06-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Jackson is a defensive lineman and the Chiefs have selected him. Pardon me if I expect another tub of shit that does nothing but eat up money. I’ll get excited about Jackson when he CONTINUALLY shows it on the field.

BarrySPAMAID
06-17-2009, 12:37 PM
I wrote something down o.k..........Barry smells.

That's a first. ROFL