PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Car Audio Question

Dante84
06-16-2009, 03:14 PM
I have a 2005 Infiniti G35x Sedan. Currently, my car doesn't have an Aux. input for an ipod or mp3 player. Unfortunately for me, 2005 was the year that they stopped putting in cassette players, and before they put Aux. inputs in.

I have spent up to 80 bucks on an AM/FM transmitter thingy to plug into my ipod, and they all suck ass. The bass sounds like fuzz. Plus you have to hold them in the right spot otherwise they fade out.

I hate dicking around with CD's, and I love having all my music in one place- on my ipod. Any car guys know of an option I have?

The only thing I have found after numerous searches online is some slap-dick fabrication job some guy details on his own website. I am not savvy enough to pull that off, and don't trust my car with any non-professionals to cut parts of my car up.

Major Infiniti here in KC was no help, because I wasn't interested in purchasing the new G37. Dicks.

Any other places I could call?

Frosty
06-16-2009, 03:21 PM
I added an Aux input to my factory deck by plugging a small device into the back (I believe it was the CD changer port). It isn't an Infiniti but I would be really surprised if they didn't have one for your car. Check Crutchfield.

Dante84
06-16-2009, 03:23 PM
I am basically as dumb as it gets when it comes to all of this stuff, so I appreciate any advice.

Now, what is Crutchfield? A company? And is it possible to have someone install it at say, Best Buy, or Santa Fe Audio?

The Franchise
06-16-2009, 03:28 PM
I am basically as dumb as it gets when it comes to all of this stuff, so I appreciate any advice.

Now, what is Crutchfield? A company? And is it possible to have someone install it at say, Best Buy, or Santa Fe Audio?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-V6n2UYXXCcm/

Frosty
06-16-2009, 03:29 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/

When you order stuff from Crutchfield, you get detail instructions and any adapters you might need to make it really easy to install. However, I did have to tap into the power myself and also find a ground, so if you aren't comfortable with that, you could probably have any car stereo shop install it for you.

Frosty
06-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Here are the iPod adapters for your car (I assumed yours was without the Bose factory unit).

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_305250/iPod-Adapters-for-Car-Stereos.html?tp=120

The Franchise
06-16-2009, 03:34 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA11NIS/USA-Spec-iPod-Interface.html?tp=120

CoMoChief
06-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Find out what parts are required on the G37 and see if some Audio installation vendor can someway fabricate it onto your veh?

Katipan
06-16-2009, 03:42 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/

When you order stuff from Crutchfield, you get detail instructions and any adapters you might need to make it really easy to install. However, I did have to tap into the power myself and also find a ground, so if you aren't comfortable with that, you could probably have any car stereo shop install it for you.

I just tapped into my power and found a ground... 2? 3? weeks ago.

If I can do it, a blind moose could.

KC native
06-16-2009, 04:18 PM

Whatever you do, don't let best buy touch your car. Go to a high end shop and pay for them to do it right.

Fire Me Boy!
06-16-2009, 04:46 PM
By the kits and install yourself. It's easy. Seriously, find a friend that's done one before and have him help. It's surprisingly simple. The instructions from Crutchfield are really pretty good, too.

Dante84
06-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks everyone.... I think I may snag that Crutchfield kit and have Santa Fe Audio take care of it if they give me a square quote. If you have any other suggestions, feel free to add please! Much Appreciated!

unothadeal
06-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Those radio things suck dick.

Bugeater
06-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Those radio things suck dick.
Have you ever used one of the FM transmitter thingies? They suck Ron Jeremy dick.

unothadeal
06-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Have you ever used one of the FM transmitter thingies? They suck Ron Jeremy dick.

Ya that's what I meant. Had it on max volume (35) and it sounded like it was on 7. So expensive too.

Bugeater
06-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Ya that's what I meant. Had it on max volume (35) and it sounded like it was on 7. So expensive too.
Oh, I thought you meant the radio interface thingies. The transmitters are better than nothing though, I'll say that much.

Dante84
06-16-2009, 10:18 PM
I dunno, I'd almost take nothing instead of one of those bastards. At least I am not pissed as hell when I'm listening to a good song that is quiet and fuzzy.

wutamess
06-16-2009, 10:23 PM
I had your problem too. a couple of years ago.
I hated my CD changed and for some reason cd changers always go out on cars.

So I bought kenwood music keg and had it installed into the CD changer port.
It's basically a (10GB) hard drive.

If I had to do it all over again. I think I'd installed the Kenwood stereo with the usb port on the front that plays your music. I installed it on my gas sipping honda I bout last year and love its access and ease of use.

Frosty
06-17-2009, 07:14 AM
I have a Clarion with the USB port on the front in my commuter car and love it. I just load up a thumb drive with MP3s and have a ton of music available any time. It also has an Aux port so I can plug in the iPod if I want (I have a line out available on the iPod so I don't have to go through the crappy headphones amplifier).