PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Had some Memphis BBQ the other day..

dtebbe
06-18-2009, 09:46 AM
The son and I were driving thru Memphis and decided to try some local BBQ fare. Being a last minute decision we used our Garmin GPS for "pot luck" BBQ.

We actually did pretty good. We ended up at Neely's BBQ (http://www.neelysbbq.com/). I had pork ribs 2 ways (dry & wet) and my son had pulled pork.

It may be heresy, but the ribs were as good as any I've had in KC, and the dry ones were just sublime - no sauce needed. The wet ones had a tangy sweet sauce (which I like), but were equally smoky and good. The beans were solid, but not as good a Bryants IMHO (FWIW I've not ate at Bryants in about 2 years, I've heard reports that it's went downhill). Service was excellent, and the place felt like a "joint" without being filthy.

In short if you find yourself in Memphis, I don't think you can go wrong with Neely's.

DT

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs098.snc1/5182_1110730781322_1618453741_277006_5005655_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs098.snc1/5182_1110730621318_1618453741_277005_5144981_n.jpg
And yes... he ate it all :eek:

KCUnited
06-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Heard the Neely's know a thing or two about pork.

Deberg_1990
06-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Why does every city or state all claim they have the best BBQ?

dtebbe
06-18-2009, 09:55 AM

I can guarantee you this. Anyone who claims GA has BBQ is on crack. I could boil a pork butt, chop it up, slop some bad saurce on it, and have people here claim it's the best they ever had.

DT

Kerberos
06-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Hey dtebbe

Did you try any of thier "Spicy" BBQ sauce? If so how was it?

dtebbe
06-18-2009, 09:57 AM
Hey dtebbe

Did you try any of thier "Spicy" BBQ sauce? If so how was it?

No, I didn't see any alternate sauces out on the table, and since I like the sweet stuff, didn't really ask for any other options.

DT

Gonzo
06-18-2009, 10:01 AM

Omaha has decent bbq joints but nothing like KC.

You can't beat our creamed corn.

gblowfish
06-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Neely's, Corky's and The Rendevous are the Memphis equivalent to KC's Gates, Bryant's and Jack Stack.

Their style is good, not as good as KC (IMHO). They use much more brown sugar and do more pork and sausage than beef.

The Rendevous is their most famous joint, it's downtown near the Peabody Hotel.

Kerberos
06-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Omaha has decent bbq joints but nothing like KC.

You can't beat our creamed corn.

Doesn't this belong over in the "I got caught jerking off" thread? :D

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=209187

Mojo Jojo
06-18-2009, 10:10 AM
The Neely's (Son of the founder and his wife) have a show or two on Food Network. Looks good!!!

Buck
06-18-2009, 10:12 AM
We don't have BBQ here.

:crybaby:

Theres a place called West Coast BBQ real close to my house but I've never gone in.

I'm sure that its nowhere close to anything you can find in the midwest/south.

MOhillbilly
06-18-2009, 10:17 AM
We don't have BBQ here.

Theres a place called West Coast BBQ real close to my house but I've never gone in.

HA!ha!

sd4chiefs
06-18-2009, 10:17 AM

San Diego claims to have the worst BBQ.

Donger
06-18-2009, 10:22 AM
We don't have BBQ here.

There's a shack in downtown San Diego named "KC Bar-B-Que" or something like that. I never had the balls to try it.

Here it is:

600 W Harbor Dr
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 231-9680‎

DaneMcCloud
06-18-2009, 10:25 AM

Because it's fun.

We went to the L.A. BBQ festival last month. There was BBQ from Memphis, Texas, Carolina, St. Louis and KC (LC's), along with a few local places. It was in the parking lot next to the Santa Monica Pier and was an absolute blast.

My wife liked the Memphis BBQ and LC's, while I preferred a place from Texas and LC's.

FWIW, no one's sauce even touched Gates.

MOhillbilly
06-18-2009, 10:28 AM
FWIW, no one's sauce even touched Gates.

Bah! A.B. Sweet Heat is President Trumans favorite.

Mojo Jojo
06-18-2009, 10:30 AM
There's a shack in downtown San Diego named "KC Bar-B-Que" or something like that. I never had the balls to try it.

Here it is:

600 W Harbor Dr
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 231-9680‎

Is it open again? I know they had a fire there. The bar scenes from Top Gun were filmed at this joint. I've eaten there twice. OK for SD, but not that great. The owners are the daughter and son-in-law of a former KCK mayor.

cdcox
06-18-2009, 10:30 AM
We had a couple of Corky's restaurants over here on the other side of the state, but both closed in a town that has pretty weak competition when it comes to Q. The "original" Corky's is supposed to be better, but I ate there too when I was in Memphis one time and I still don't think it holds a candle to the best places in KC.

Rendevous was better -- worth going back for. But Memphis isn't anywhere close to being in KC's league. Never been to Neely's.

Buck
06-18-2009, 10:32 AM
HA!ha!
:cuss:

Did you ever eat at a place called "Sweet Lew's BBQ"? It was owned by Lew Bush and it was damn good. It closed down when he signed w/ KC.

Here it is:

600 W Harbor Dr
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 231-9680‎

Is it open again? I know they had a fire there. The bar scenes from Top Gun were filmed at this joint. I've eaten there twice. OK for SD, but not that great. The owners are the daughter and son-in-law of a former KCK mayor.

I've heard this place sucks balls. Plus it caught on fire last year.

KevB
06-18-2009, 10:50 AM
But Memphis isn't anywhere close to being in KC's league.

That's ridiculous. Both have some very good BBQ, just a little different. I can assure anyone that if they care to go to a BBQ contest, good luck beating the Memphis in May contest on the Mississippi River. If I recall correctly, it's about a quarter of a million in attendance over the three or four day period. It's unbelievable, but it's been a long time since I attended.

Simply Red
06-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Memphis style isn't awful, it's fairly similar to that of KC Styled. But, yes, exactly right when describing GA's claim they have BBQ, it's sort of like shitty NC BBQ, full of vinegar. Yuck!

RJ
06-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Neely's, Corky's and The Rendevous are the Memphis equivalent to KC's Gates, Bryant's and Jack Stack.

Their style is good, not as good as KC (IMHO). They use much more brown sugar and do more pork and sausage than beef.

The Rendevous is their most famous joint, it's downtown near the Peabody Hotel.

Rendezvous ribs are as good as any I've eaten, better than most. I don't believe they use sugar at all in their rub and the ribs are served dry, sauce on the side. Or at least that's how it was 10 years ago.

RJ
06-18-2009, 11:27 AM

Lots of places do have the best BBQ anywhere.

I've had great BBQ all over the country. Doesn't all have to be the same to be good.

I sure would like to have a Western Kentucky pulled pork sandwich right about now.

wild1
06-18-2009, 11:32 AM
It's a cooking style, not like once city has a monopoly on it. I have had great bbq in all areas of the country.

One thing I don't understand is the obsession with Gates. I would choose 3 or 4 local places if I were in town over Gates. Sure, it's good, but it's not near the best in the city.

Simply Red
06-18-2009, 11:37 AM
It's a cooking style, not like once city has a monopoly on it. I have had great bbq in all areas of the country.

One thing I don't understand is the obsession with Gates. I would choose 3 or 4 local places if I were in town over Gates. Sure, it's good, but it's not near the best in the city.

i believe their sauce and yummy pit ham, carry them. I love Gates.

cdcox
06-18-2009, 12:20 PM
That's ridiculous. Both have some very good BBQ, just a little different. I can assure anyone that if they care to go to a BBQ contest, good luck beating the Memphis in May contest on the Mississippi River. If I recall correctly, it's about a quarter of a million in attendance over the three or four day period. It's unbelievable, but it's been a long time since I attended.

In KC you can go 6 or 7 restaurants deep with dedicated city-wide followings at each. Most of these have multiple locations. I don't think Memphis can match up nearly that deep.

You have Rendevous - 1 location
You have Corky's - 3 Memphis locations, but the fame goes to the original location
You have Neely's - 2 Memphis locations

That's 4 to 6 locations for the top 3 BBQ joints, depending if you count all of the Corky's stores. Gates alone has 6 locations.

Fire Me Boy!
06-18-2009, 12:28 PM
I can guarantee you this. Anyone who claims GA has BBQ is on crack. I could boil a pork butt, chop it up, slop some bad saurce on it, and have people here claim it's the best they ever had.

DT

This x2 for South Carolina.

The judgings I've done for cue here had "some of the best in the state" that would mark a mediocre from from most of everything I've had in KC. I gotta get on the circuit - I'll clean up around here.

Alphaman
06-18-2009, 01:39 PM
In KC you can go 6 or 7 restaurants deep with dedicated city-wide followings at each. Most of these have multiple locations. I don't think Memphis can match up nearly that deep.

You have Corky's - 3 Memphis locations, but the fame goes to the original location

That's 4 to 6 locations for the top 3 BBQ joints, depending if you count all of the Corky's stores. Gates alone has 6 locations.

You have to factor in that Corky's has a couple of locations in Nashville and Neely's has a brother and sister I believe that have their own joints.

That being said, imho, Rendevous is pretty good, Corky's sucks and Neely's is good. There is another place in Memphis called Interstate that is really good. My wife grew up there with a hole in the wall close to her house called Noel's. Really good ribs, pulled pork and get this....BBQ Bologna (don't knock it until you've tried it).

In my travels (I've lived in KC, Austin TX, Nashville) and tried BBQ in Memphis, Georgia, NC, Birmingham AL.....KC is the best, Memphis is a close 2nd and Texas is a distant 3rd. The other cities aren't even on the radar.

Stewie
06-18-2009, 01:41 PM
You have to factor in that Corky's has a couple of locations in Nashville and Neely's has a brother and sister I believe that have their own joints.

That being said, imho, Rendevous is pretty good, Corky's sucks and Neely's is good. There is another place in Memphis called Interstate that is really good. My wife grew up there with a hole in the wall close to her house called Noel's. Really good ribs, pulled pork and get this....BBQ Bologna (don't knock it until you've tried it).

In my travels (I've lived in KC, Austin TX, Nashville) and tried BBQ in Memphis, Georgia, NC, Birmingham AL.....KC is the best, Memphis is a close 2nd and Texas is a distant 3rd. The other cities aren't even on the radar.

I saw a bit on Interstate BBQ on Food Network. It's a Neely restaurant.

Great Expectations
06-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Interstate is pretty good, they have a bbq spaghetti that is very good. Rendevous's ribs are the best I've had at a restaurant, they need no sauce. I grew up (and still do) put sauce on all bbq, except for the Rendevous Ribs.

KC is more well rounded than most BBQ cities. Memphis doesn't do as good w/ Beef as KC does and Texas doesn't do as good w/ Pork as KC does.

Alphaman
06-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Interstate is pretty good, they have a bbq spaghetti that is very good. Rendevous's ribs are the best I've had at a restaurant, they need no sauce. I grew up (and still do) put sauce on all bbq, except for the Rendevous Ribs.

KC is more well rounded than most BBQ cities. Memphis doesn't do as good w/ Beef as KC does and Texas doesn't do as good w/ Pork as KC does.

KC can't touch Memphis on the pulled pork. Memphis doesn't even look at beef. Texas does a lot of beef ribs which are horrendous imho.

To me the test of every BBQ joint is the ribs. I'm a big fan of Gates and LC's.

KCBOSS1
06-18-2009, 09:05 PM
I live 5 hours from KC and 3 hours from Memphis. I like most of KCs the best.

sd4chiefs
06-18-2009, 09:22 PM

Phils BBQ is the best in San Diego. It is OK but not great. I have not been to Kansas City BBQ since it reopend but before it burned down it was awful. God I miss KC BBQ.

Ultra Peanut
06-18-2009, 11:14 PM
beef is not bbq nubs

That's 4 to 6 locations for the top 3 BBQ joints, depending if you count all of the Corky's stores. Gates alone has 6 locations.Whooooooa.

Neely's, Interstate, Corky's, Rendezvous, Tops, and Central all have huge followings, and I'm only scraping the surface.

SBK
06-19-2009, 06:14 AM
I had Corky's near Nashville, there's actually one off I-85 and Pleasant Hill here in Atlanta too.

My next drive back to Iowa I plan on going though Memphis and KC, which will add about 150 miles to my trip just to eat BBQ.

And beef is BBQ, nothing is better than burnt ends.
Posted via Mobile Device

Skip Towne
06-19-2009, 06:17 AM
Heard the Neely's know a thing or two about pork.

Doesn't look like they know much about french fries.