PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Elder Scrolls V

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

Sorter
10-26-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm assuming because of the story, right?

It's nice to see Bethesda still releases bug-ridden crapware all these years later. :)

Most definitely because of the story

htismaqe
10-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Well, Master difficulty proved to be Pandora's Box.

Basically, the difficulties are as such:

Adept: PC does 100% damage, NPCs do 100% damage
Expert: PC does 75% damage, NPCs do 150% damage
Master: PC does 50% damage, NPCs do 200% damage

Melee combat on Master is simply AWESOME. The damage modifiers lead to a give-and-take tactical battle that is very fulfilling.

However, after reaching about level 6, the random wandering bandits and soldiers became random wandering mages, novice vampires, and FLAME ATRONACHS. I couldn't even close on them - instantaneous death.

RustShack
10-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Did you try searching his body?

I tried everything. I just reloaded and went to someone else for a mission. It was for the companions where you can talk to three different people about missions.

I am now a werewolf too.

whoman69
10-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Morrowind is still better IMO.

The gameplay system was crap. I turned the difficulty all the way down and couldn't kill a simple bandit. A weak monster equal to a mudcrab took me to the limit. You also have a chance for your magic to fail. I didn't even stick with the game long enough to complete a single mission.

Sorter
10-27-2012, 02:13 PM
The gameplay system was crap. I turned the difficulty all the way down and couldn't kill a simple bandit. A weak monster equal to a mudcrab took me to the limit. You also have a chance for your magic to fail. I didn't even stick with the game long enough to complete a single mission.

That is too bad. I loved the difficulty and everything about that game. I'm not sure what to tell you if you couldn't kill a mudcrab...perhaps video games aren't your thing?

Imon Yourside
10-27-2012, 02:16 PM
That is too bad. I loved the difficulty and everything about that game. I'm not sure what to tell you if you couldn't kill a mudcrab...perhaps video games aren't your thing?

I found it incredibly boring as well, just didn't grab me like the rest of the series. I've been playing them since the original Arena game, and thought it was the worst of the series. I don't count Battlespire either since it was the worst pos game possibly ever made.

htismaqe
10-27-2012, 02:23 PM
So who played on standard Adept difficulty?

Does it get harder for melee fights later in the game?

I play on Adept and it's ridiculously easy. I play on Expert or Master and it feels great until about 10 hours in and then it's a fucking nightmare.

whoman69
10-27-2012, 04:53 PM

Didn't say I couldn't kill a mudcrab, but it took me to the limit. I've finished Oblivion with several different types of characters. Gameplay in that was much better.

Sorter
10-27-2012, 05:06 PM
I've finished Oblivion with several different types of characters. Gameplay in that was much better.

Fair enough. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QsogswrH6ck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imon Yourside
10-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Didn't say I couldn't kill a mudcrab, but it took me to the limit. I've finished Oblivion with several different types of characters. Gameplay in that was much better.

I still think Oblivion is the best looking of the series but man I hate those dumbass oblivion gates...had to mod those out..incredibly boring.

htismaqe
10-30-2012, 06:16 AM
I ended up answering my own question. After leveling up a couple more times, it became apparent that Expert and Master aren't really any harder than Adept most of the time. The game is just easy, that's the way it is.

The only thing that turning up the difficulty REALLY does is change the occasional tough boss fight into the occasional "I just got one-hit killed and my last save was an hour ago" smash-the-TV nightmare.

Also, I think I discovered that playing on a higher difficulty made at least one part of the game WAY EASIER. It appears that changing the difficulty doesn't just change the damage output of ENEMIES but rather ALL NPCs. I was in Riverwood when it was attacked by a generic dragon (it didn't have a name, it was just labelled "dragon"). I couldn't force it to land because my bow just didn't do enough damage. As I stood there contemplating what to do next, three Whiterun guards showed up with their bows and I watched in horror as the dragon's ENTIRE health bar disappeared in 3 large chunks. 1, 2, 3 - he was dead in less than 5 seconds! Fucking Whiterun guards stole my kill!

whoman69
10-30-2012, 02:37 PM
If its like Oblivion the harder setting changes the amount of damage you do, and the damage that enemies deal to you.

whoman69
10-30-2012, 02:42 PM
I still think Oblivion is the best looking of the series but man I hate those dumbass oblivion gates...had to mod those out..incredibly boring.

Considering you only have to close 2 gates in the entire game to win, what's the point of editing them out? One of those gates is the great gate of Bruma. There is only one other mission that you would need to close a gate in and that's the mission to rescue the son of the Count. There is a daedic quest that sends you to a plane of Oblivion, but that mission is not dependent on you closing that gate. I don't even think it has a gate to close.

htismaqe
10-30-2012, 03:07 PM
If its like Oblivion the harder setting changes the amount of damage you do, and the damage that enemies deal to you.

It is. I posted it earlier.

RustShack
10-30-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm basically out of anything to do... I need PS3 expansions now!

htismaqe
10-30-2012, 09:58 PM
I'm basically out of anything to do... I need PS3 expansions now!

They keep saying they're working on it.

I'm willing to bet they have no idea how to get it done.

Imon Yourside
10-31-2012, 12:19 AM
Considering you only have to close 2 gates in the entire game to win, what's the point of editing them out? One of those gates is the great gate of Bruma. There is only one other mission that you would need to close a gate in and that's the mission to rescue the son of the Count. There is a daedic quest that sends you to a plane of Oblivion, but that mission is not dependent on you closing that gate. I don't even think it has a gate to close.

I just thought they were poorly designed and got old very quick, other than that Oblivion is my favorite in the series barely edging out Daggerfall which was 10 years ahead of it's time.

RustShack
10-31-2012, 01:22 AM
They keep saying they're working on it.

I'm willing to bet they have no idea how to get it done.

Some nerds found some PS3 expansion talk in the latest update for the first time... so it might be close!

RedDread
10-31-2012, 03:24 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SLp0ykvotEI?list=UUCbfB3cQtkEAiKfdRQnfQvw&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MotherfuckerJones
10-31-2012, 04:37 AM
I just like walking around the open world, breathtaking.

Fantastic games! I don't even play missions!

htismaqe
10-31-2012, 06:40 AM
I just thought they were poorly designed and got old very quick, other than that Oblivion is my favorite in the series barely edging out Daggerfall which was 10 years ahead of it's time.

Daggerfall was so buggy it was almost unplayable. I enjoyed it yes, but never ended up finishing it due to all of the bugs.

It's follow-up, Battlespire, was such a disaster that I never even played Morrowind or Oblivion. I actually pre-ordered the game from Bethesda and never got it.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=8594171&postcount=28

htismaqe
10-31-2012, 06:42 AM
Some nerds found some PS3 expansion talk in the latest update for the first time... so it might be close!

Code remnants like that happen all the time in games. Most of the time, it's meaningless.

It's probably test code that didn't work and they forgot to remove it.

whoman69
10-31-2012, 12:52 PM

You can also never visit Jauffre or Kvatch and they won't show up. And you're basically right, I think there is only 7 different kinds of gates. Only thing that changes is the demons you run into as your level goes up.

Imon Yourside
10-31-2012, 10:02 PM
Daggerfall was so buggy it was almost unplayable. I enjoyed it yes, but never ended up finishing it due to all of the bugs.

It's follow-up, Battlespire, was such a disaster that I never even played Morrowind or Oblivion. I actually pre-ordered the game from Bethesda and never got it.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=8594171&postcount=28

I don't even count battlespire as part of the series, it belonged locked away in the oblivion gates. Yes Daggerfall was buggy but it was still incredible for its time.

KCrockaholic
10-31-2012, 10:21 PM
I haven't played this game since January. But it is a fucking amazing game. And my girl got me the strategy guide to it...Am I a bad boyfriend?

loochy
11-01-2012, 11:25 AM
I haven't played this game since January. But it is a fucking amazing game. And my girl got me the strategy guide to it...Am I a bad boyfriend?

no. Just read the strategy guide anyway. It might be interesting. Be a happy man and appreciate that she pays attention to what you like to do.

htismaqe
11-01-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm just fucking thoroughly addicted to this game.

I've been fighting in 3rd-person and have a whole new appreciation for the combat, especially with power moves and critical hits.

The switch from 1st to 3rd-person (for fighting - I still explore in 1st person) made the game for me.

This is one of the best I've ever played. EVER. :D

KCrockaholic
11-01-2012, 04:58 PM
no. Just read the strategy guide anyway. It might be interesting. Be a happy man and appreciate that she pays attention to what you like to do.

I don't typically like strategy guides, but the one to Skyrim is pretty awesome. It's a giant, thick book.

Fire Me Boy!
11-03-2012, 11:05 AM
There's a trailer for something Skyrim related coming out Monday. Rumor has it the DLC will include ability to ride dragons.

Imon Yourside
11-04-2012, 10:04 AM
There's a trailer for something Skyrim related coming out Monday. Rumor has it the DLC will include ability to ride dragons.

They need to add multiplayer, I don't want an MMO either.

htismaqe
11-04-2012, 12:56 PM

I have seen a commercial for TES MMORPG.

J Diddy
11-04-2012, 10:43 PM
I played the hell out of skyrim and I enjoyed it, but after eternal load times, I just walked away.

htismaqe
11-05-2012, 07:39 AM
I played the hell out of skyrim and I enjoyed it, but after eternal load times, I just walked away.

What platform?

The load times on PS3 aren't all that bad.

Imon Yourside
11-05-2012, 07:42 AM

On PC the load times aren't bad unless you have a gazillion mods installed.

Dave Lane
11-05-2012, 07:43 AM
On the PC they were basically nonexistent

RustShack
11-05-2012, 12:51 PM
Yeah they didn't really bother me either. But the lack of DLC on PS3 is whats pissing me off!

The new one looks pretty sweet too.

Sorter
11-05-2012, 12:59 PM
Anyone have any mod recommendations? I'm starting over on this wonderful game and am going to mod this baby so it looks/plays beautifully.

Crush
11-05-2012, 01:20 PM
:drool:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TRmdXDH9b1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Imon Yourside
11-05-2012, 01:29 PM
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yGwrL14uAbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fire Me Boy!
11-05-2012, 02:27 PM
:drool:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TRmdXDH9b1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hell yeah! There was one shot in there of a guy riding a dragon. I. Want.

RustShack
11-05-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm guessing its just similar to when you ride the dragon in that one mission... but I could be wrong.

RustShack
11-08-2012, 01:27 PM
The PS3 issues have been solved, and the expansions are coming to PS3! No release date yet.

htismaqe
11-13-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm hopelessly addicted to this game. I just wish the difficulty level was easier to figure out. I've restarted 3 times now. I've probably spent 60 hours playing the game and I've just barely scratched the surface.

Playing a Nord now. The combination of light armor and 2H weapons is pretty interesting. I'm learning how to block and that makes the game even more tactically fun.

Buck
11-13-2012, 02:30 PM
I decided to play again and I am on painkillers and muscle relaxers and I accidentally bought everything off the first merchant instead of selling my stuff to him and I rage quit lol. I forgot about Console Commands.

Fish
11-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Just recently started playing this again myself. Very hooked at the moment. I'm hell on companion characters though. I can't quit killing them off... I guess my fireballs are a little errant sometimes. I've decimated a few towns too, because the stupid fucking locals won't GTFO the way when a dragon swoops in. I'll launch a fireball, and sure as shit some dipshit guard runs up to the dragon and accidentally gets flamed. Then the entire town is fighting me, along with the dragon.

The Franchise
11-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Just recently started playing this again myself. Very hooked at the moment. I'm hell on companion characters though. I can't quit killing them off... I guess my fireballs are a little errant sometimes. I've decimated a few towns too, because the stupid fucking locals won't GTFO the way when a dragon swoops in. I'll launch a fireball, and sure as shit some dipshit guard runs up to the dragon and accidentally gets flamed. Then the entire town is fighting me, along with the dragon.

The first time I played this game....I was fucking around....swinging my sword around when I was in one of the towns. Stupid fucking dog runs by and kill it instantly. I had to reset the game because the entire town started chasing me. Stupid fucking dog...

Sorter
11-13-2012, 07:20 PM
I asked this earlier and got no answers :(

Anybody have suggestions for mods to run on my second time through Skyrim?

Hammock Parties
11-15-2012, 07:43 PM
This DLC looks rad. Morrowind shit in it.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TRmdXDH9b1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://i.imgur.com/OUSkh.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/r19k3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1uoTp.jpg

QuikSsurfer
11-15-2012, 08:01 PM
oh shit.. a little Morrowind crossover? Those look like Silt Stiders :)

RustShack
11-16-2012, 12:35 AM
Can't wait for a PS3 expansion so I can get back into it!

htismaqe
11-16-2012, 08:11 AM
oh shit.. a little Morrowind crossover? Those look like Silt Stiders :)

Considering Skyrim and Morrowind share a border and Skyrim has the 2nd-largest population of Dunmer in Tamriel, it shouldn't be hard. :D

QuikSsurfer
11-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Can't wait for a PS3 expansion so I can get back into it!

ROFL

Fire Me Boy!
11-16-2012, 08:54 AM
I have a very good friend who just got a PS3 and is picking up games (better late than never). He picked up Oblivion to get acclimated to the world and gameplay; if he likes it, he'll pick up Skyrim.

I'm envious.... to be able to go back and play Elder Scrolls for the first time!

RustShack
11-16-2012, 11:20 AM
I didn't like Oblivion nearly as much as Skyrim. I actually don't think I even finished it.. I got stuck in some volcano and returned it to Family Video.

Fire Me Boy!
11-16-2012, 11:33 AM
I didn't like Oblivion nearly as much as Skyrim. I actually don't think I even finished it.. I got stuck in some volcano and returned it to Family Video.

That was an Oblivion gate.

htismaqe
11-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Got my 2-handed skill up high enough that I get a clean decapitation about 1 in 5 fights now. Fucking brutal.

I love this game.

HC_Chief
11-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Got my 2-handed skill up high enough that I get a clean decapitation about 1 in 5 fights now. ****ing brutal.

I love this game.

Heh, my HW used maces; brutal smash w/ decapitation = satisfying. :evil:

Of course my stealth character w/ one-shot sniping (bow) and instant throat-slash kills w/ dagger (sneak attack) were pretty darn fun...

Fire Me Boy!
11-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Got my 2-handed skill up high enough that I get a clean decapitation about 1 in 5 fights now. ****ing brutal.

I love this game.

That's one style I've never tried... two-handed weapons are so slow. I'm a stick-and-move kinda fighter.

My latest character was a thief, so I've worked a lot on pickpocketing. If you've not played that style, I highly recommend it. I'm lever 48 or so and have trained every level... I haven't paid for even one session of training, even my first level.

htismaqe
11-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Heh, my HW used maces; brutal smash w/ decapitation = satisfying. :evil:

Of course my stealth character w/ one-shot sniping (bow) and instant throat-slash kills w/ dagger (sneak attack) were pretty darn fun...

I use bow/stealth at times. 1-shot kills are rare (skill is still too low) but when they do happen, they are inspiring. :D

htismaqe
11-21-2012, 09:10 AM
That's one style I've never tried... two-handed weapons are so slow. I'm a stick-and-move kinda fighter.

Actually, I'm playing stick and move too. 2-handed weapons with high Block skill and light armor.

I basically walk into every battle with my 2h sword in block position. I move around and let them hit me until that inevitable pause and then I swing once and they are dead. ;)

My latest character was a thief, so I've worked a lot on pickpocketing. If you've not played that style, I highly recommend it. I'm lever 48 or so and have trained every level... I haven't paid for even one session of training, even my first level.

You can accomplish the same using followers. Just train and then have them give you back your gold. :D

Fire Me Boy!
11-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Actually, I'm playing stick and move too. 2-handed weapons with high Block skill and light armor.

I basically walk into every battle with my 2h sword in block position. I move around and let them hit me until that inevitable pause and then I swing once and they are dead. ;)

You can accomplish the same using followers. Just train and then have them give you back your gold. :D

Yes, but there aren't too many trainers that can be followers. That's how I started - at level 1 got Faendal in Riverwood as a follower, then did training in archery until I could level a couple perks in pickpocket. Then you can train wherever you want and just steal the money back.

bsp4444
11-21-2012, 09:36 AM
My sneak is at a perfect 100, archery and destruction spells at 80, so I try to kill from afar, but I end up losing a lot of followers that way.

htismaqe
11-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Yes, but there aren't too many trainers that can be followers. That's how I started - at level 1 got Faendal in Riverwood as a follower, then did training in archery until I could level a couple perks in pickpocket. Then you can train wherever you want and just steal the money back.

Yeah, it really depends on what skills you want to train because the selection, if you're depending on followers, is limited.

I can't pickpocket, my character isn't a thief. And I can't train with Faendal - he hates me. No way I was siding with a ****ing elf over the true Nord, Sven. Free Skyrim! :D

htismaqe
11-21-2012, 09:41 AM
My sneak is at a perfect 100, archery and destruction spells at 80, so I try to kill from afar, but I end up losing a lot of followers that way.

Hehe.

I keep screaming Lydia to get out of the way as I hit her in the back with my 2-hander. LMAO

Fire Me Boy!
12-03-2012, 09:28 AM
http://www.bethblog.com/2012/12/03/dragonborn-coming-tomorrow-to-xbox-live-coming-to-ps3-and-pc-early-2013/

Dragonborn coming tomorrow to Xbox LIVE. Coming to PS3 and PC early 2013.

We’re less than 24 hours away from unleashing Skyrim’s next add-on Dragonborn on Xbox LIVE. It’s one of our most ambitious add-ons ever and we’re excited for everyone to play it.

We’re also happy to announce Dragonborn will be available on PS3 and PC early next year.

The support from Skyrim fans over the last year has been amazing, and it’s driven us to support Skyrim more than any game we’ve ever released – including free content updates, modding tools like the Creation Kit and the Skyrim Workshop, and our add-ons, Dawnguard and Hearthfire.

And we’re still not done – we look forward to sharing more Skyrim news next year!

htismaqe
12-03-2012, 12:34 PM
I gotta stop starting over. Some of the bugs in this game are maddening as hell.

Kinda wish I was playing it on 360 but oh well.

RustShack
12-03-2012, 09:44 PM
At least PS3 is finally getting something.. bleeeh sick of waiting!

Crush
12-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Anyone else download Dragonborn yet? It kicks ass so far.

HC_Chief
12-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Hehe.

I keep screaming Lydia to get out of the way as I hit her in the back with my 2-hander. LMAO

I sent those bitches packing once I was able to obliterate any groups of targets stupid enough to cross my path. The mules just got in the way.

Besides, Lydia's whining "I am sworn to carry your burdens" (I swear I can see her roll her damn eyes as she says it) was as annoying as her jumping in front of my attacks.

Early in the game, when dealing with freaking Falmer, those mules were invaluable. Hit level 40, they lose purpose.

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 07:55 AM
I sent those bitches packing once I was able to obliterate any groups of targets stupid enough to cross my path. The mules just got in the way.

I'm playing on Master difficulty and I'm currently only 10th level - never would have gotten even that far without a follower.

On Master, followers become super turtle tanks, able to absorb massive amounts of damage. So when you come up against a 2-hander or fire mage (which do double damage on Master), you bait them into attacking your follower instead of one-hit killing you. :D

Plus, I need her to carry stuff because I pick up EVERYTHING. Damn OCD.

Besides, Lydia's whining "I am sworn to carry your burdens" (I swear I can see her roll her damn eyes as she says it) was as annoying as her jumping in front of my attacks.

ROFL

My wife even laughs when she says it - she says it sounds like her. ROFL She's so submissive and polite in EVERYTHING she says - until you ask her to carry something for you and then she becomes a ****ing nag.

I got so tired of hearing it, I actually considered keeping Sven and telling her to sit at Breezehome and cook me some vegetable stew.

whoman69
12-05-2012, 04:44 PM

Early in the game, when dealing with freaking Falmer, those mules were invaluable. Hit level 40, they lose purpose.

It wouldn't be an elder scrolls game if your allies didn't get in the way of your attacks.

HC_Chief
12-05-2012, 04:50 PM
...telling her to sit at Breezehome and cook me some vegetable stew.

That's what I did. Every once in a while I pop in to drop off some loot in the upstairs chest. I'm all like "sup b*tch? gonna nag me for storing my 'burdens' here too?"

Master level sounds intense...may be time for a new character :D

Frazod
12-05-2012, 05:02 PM

You need to get her skimpy Daedric armor. When she looks like this, you don't care how whiny she sounds. :D

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 05:05 PM
That's what I did. Every once in a while I pop in to drop off some loot in the upstairs chest. I'm all like "sup b*tch? gonna nag me for storing my 'burdens' here too?"

Master level sounds intense...may be time for a new character :D

It's WAY intense.

Spellcasters = one-hit death (I'm a Nord so frost spells I can take. Fire spells = reload).
Foes with 2-handed weapons = one-hit death
Dragons = RUN AS FAST AS YOU ****ING CAN IN THE OTHER DIRECTION

ROFL

The thing I like about Master is that it forces me to do things I otherwise wouldn't do.

Forget about smithing or alchemy - I COOK. That's right, I actually USE food. The stamina regen from vegetable stew is indispensable.

I don't fast travel at all. I need to explore because exploring means random encounters with lower level foes plus exploring means more reagents. Without those reagents and fights with wolves and skeevers, I couldn't survive the majority of dungeons because I wouldn't be powerful enough.

I actually sleep to pass time. The "well rested" bonus is one of the best in the game early on.

And you simply can't rely on leveling up organically. One, some skills like block are supremely useful (particularly the one that slows time when foes power attack) so you HAVE to pay someone to train you how to use them or they won't level up fast enough. Two, if you do too much smithing, alchemy, pickpocketing, or lockpicking, you level up TOO FAST. NPC levels are set by your level but their skills are specialized by their type. So if you're level 12 but you've spent a ton of time making iron daggers, don't plan on going toe-to-toe with a bandit chief. He's the same level as you but his one-handed skill is DOUBLE yours and you're going to die.

bsp4444
12-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Hehe.

Uhh...is this code for something?:drool:

HC_Chief
12-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Considering that outfit, I'd say yes...definitely.

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 06:32 PM

ROFL

htismaqe
12-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Considering that outfit, I'd say yes...definitely.

Considering I am screaming it at MY WIFE, yeah.... :evil:

htismaqe
12-06-2012, 07:50 AM
So I found a GREAT use for the otherwise useless horse.

Obviously you can't run or fast travel when you're over-encumbered. But you CAN ride a horse.

So I went to Fort Greymoor and parked my horse outside. Cleared the courtyard of bandits and stashed all of their stuff in a barrel right outside the door to the inner keep. Went and got my horse and left him next to the barrel.

Went inside, cleared out the whole place. Looted everything and every time I got close to my carry limit, made a quick jaunt outside and left everything in the barrel. Once I had cleared the whole place, I went outside and did a "take all" on the barrel.

I was carrying over 900 pounds worth of stuff. So I take the 5 seconds to walk over to my horse, mount up, and ride back to town.

I figure this method saved me 3 trips back to town. Between running, loading screens, sleeping to make sure it was daytime (so vendors were actually open), and sleeping to make sure vendors had enough gold to sell stuff, I saved myself OVER AN HOUR OF REAL WORLD TIME.

:D

bgguitarman
12-06-2012, 08:42 AM
You can fast travel while on a horse over-encumbered.

Obviously you can't run or fast travel when you're over-encumbered. But you CAN ride a horse.

So I went to Fort Greymoor and parked my horse outside. Cleared the courtyard of bandits and stashed all of their stuff in a barrel right outside the door to the inner keep. Went and got my horse and left him next to the barrel.

Went inside, cleared out the whole place. Looted everything and every time I got close to my carry limit, made a quick jaunt outside and left everything in the barrel. Once I had cleared the whole place, I went outside and did a "take all" on the barrel.

I was carrying over 900 pounds worth of stuff. So I take the 5 seconds to walk over to my horse, mount up, and ride back to town.

I figure this method saved me 3 trips back to town. Between running, loading screens, sleeping to make sure it was daytime (so vendors were actually open), and sleeping to make sure vendors had enough gold to sell stuff, I saved myself OVER AN HOUR OF REAL WORLD TIME.

htismaqe
12-06-2012, 09:16 AM
You can fast travel while on a horse over-encumbered.

Correct, but I don't fast travel.

If you do use fast travel, it will save you even more time.

Fire Me Boy!
12-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Started playing Dragonborn DLC last night. Pretty cool stuff. Played through a couple side quests already, interested in this new kind of ore.

whoman69
12-06-2012, 03:32 PM

You couldn't do that in Oblivion

QuikSsurfer
12-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Started playing Dragonborn DLC last night. Pretty cool stuff. Played through a couple side quests already, interested in this new kind of ore.

You gave up on Dark Souls, didn't you?

Fire Me Boy!
12-06-2012, 04:43 PM
You gave up on Dark Souls, didn't you?

Not at all, I restarted with another character. I couldn't kick that knight guy off the ledge. But Elder Scrolls trumps everything else. I'll go back to Dark Souls when I finish up Dragonborn.

QuikSsurfer
12-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Not at all, I restarted with another character. I couldn't kick that knight guy off the ledge. But Elder Scrolls trumps everything else. I'll go back to Dark Souls when I finish up Dragonborn.

http://i.minus.com/iU97QaPVjAuvI.gif

Fire Me Boy!
12-07-2012, 08:45 AM

OK, I'm sick and not quite 100 percent here. I've been staring (and kinda giggling) at this for about 3 minutes now. And I'm still not sure what you mean.

QuikSsurfer
12-07-2012, 08:51 AM
OK, I'm sick and not quite 100 percent here. I've been staring (and kinda giggling) at this for about 3 minutes now. And I'm still not sure what you mean.

lol. "Oh Skyrim trumps all, eh? Mmmmmhmmmmm"

I'm just messing with you.

Hammock Parties
12-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Haven't even finished the original storyline yet.

Today I'm gonna pound it out.

Fire Me Boy!
12-07-2012, 08:57 AM
lol. "Oh Skyrim trumps all, eh? Mmmmmhmmmmm"

I'm just messing with you.

The smile in the last second of the .gif is what was throwing me off. ROFL

Fire Me Boy!
12-07-2012, 08:57 AM

patteeu
12-07-2012, 09:10 AM

When are you going to get around to finishing the original storyline?

Hammock Parties
12-07-2012, 09:13 AM
When are you going to get around to finishing the original storyline?

QuikSsurfer
12-07-2012, 09:51 AM

It won't be worth it. The meat of the game is the Dark Brotherhood, Civil War, and Daedric quests... and mods.

Hammock Parties
12-07-2012, 09:58 AM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/703889_10151152069226404_1435530474_o.jpg

patteeu
12-07-2012, 10:01 AM

Oh, OK. I misunderstood the first time.

Fish
12-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Wow... so I guess I finished the main quest last night. It came rather abruptly, and I was expecting quite a bit more. I guess I should have focused on the side quests a lot more...

Hammock Parties
12-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Uhhh can't you keep playing?

Fish
12-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Well yes, but I am still disappoint....

QuikSsurfer
12-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Wow... so I guess I finished the main quest last night. It came rather abruptly, and I was expecting quite a bit more. I guess I should have focused on the side quests a lot more...

Yup.

HC_Chief
12-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Heh, I got every single achievement...this game made me OCD.

Now I have two new DLCs....see you guys in about three months. ;)

Pants
12-07-2012, 09:39 PM

Why do all that? You're going to have way more money than you're going to know what do with, aren't you?

Dave Lane
12-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Thats some serious OCD there Parker.

Frazod
12-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Why do all that? You're going to have way more money than you're going to know what do with, aren't you?

Seriously. You get to a point where you don't even bother picking up loot anymore, and by focusing on blacksmithing and enchanting you can make far better armor and weapons than you'll find anywhere in the game. The one skill tree I never bother to upgrade is bartering.

Pants
12-08-2012, 01:31 AM
Seriously. You get to a point where you don't even bother picking up loot anymore, and by focusing on blacksmithing and enchanting you can make far better armor and weapons than you'll find anywhere in the game. The one skill tree I never bother to upgrade is bartering.

Yeap. And the best way to make cash (if you ever need it) is to double-enchant jewelry and sell it to rich merchants. Picking up and carrying heavy objects is just silly.

Of course by the time you learn to double-enchant, you probably won't need any cash so it might be a moot point.

Either way, Bethesda needs to introduce armor sets and rare epic items that could be farmed ala Blizzard and the gaming universe will be complete. Throw in multiple playthroughs that increase in difficulty (and serve as a good way to try all the different branching storylines) and no new games will be needed after that. Like ever.

Hammock Parties
12-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Must have mods?

Right now I've got:

1. Arrowsmith
2. Faster Horses
3. Improved death cam
4. Jump higher

What else. Playing this on an i7 3820 with a 670 GTX so load me up with graphical mods.

Sorter
12-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Must have mods?

Right now I've got:

1. Arrowsmith
2. Faster Horses
3. Improved death cam
4. Jump higher

What else. Playing this on an i7 3820 with a 670 GTX so load me up with graphical mods.

I was asking for mod advice forever and nobody responded. :(

I'm running the improved gameplay mods, added monsters mods, LOTR weapons, gore, and a few others.

Sorter
12-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Must have mods?

Right now I've got:

1. Arrowsmith
2. Faster Horses
3. Improved death cam
4. Jump higher

You use via Steam or Nexus?

Hammock Parties
12-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Steam

Sorter
12-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Same.

Sorter
12-08-2012, 01:23 PM
They've got a lightsaber mod on there that might be of interest to you...

Frazod
12-08-2012, 01:38 PM
These are the mods I use for Skyrim. I haven't played in a few months, so I haven't checked out any new ones recently.

Unfortunately, I think one of these fucks with Dawnguard, because I've never been able to transfer into vampire lord form. Could just be a twitchy Bethesda thing, too. I may start a new character at some point and give it another shot - perhaps the problems been fixed with a patch.

QuikSsurfer
12-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Must have mods?

Right now I've got:

1. Arrowsmith
2. Faster Horses
3. Improved death cam
4. Jump higher

I was asking for mod advice forever and nobody responded. :(

I'm running the improved gameplay mods, added monsters mods, LOTR weapons, gore, and a few others.

High Resolution Texture pack by BETHESDA - steam://install/202485/
Skyboost - http://alexander.sannybuilder.com/?category=other&altname=skyrim_boost
SkyUI - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3863
Realistic Water Textures - http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=711
Glowing Ore Veins 300 - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=193
Vurts Skyrim Flora Overhaul - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=141
Quality World Maps (with roads) - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4929#content
Enhanced Night Skyrim - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=85#content
Better Blood Splatter - http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=727
Xenius Character Enhancement - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2356

You're welcome, you fuckers.

Sorter
12-08-2012, 02:06 PM
^^^ :)

Merci

Sorter
12-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Well fuck me, I haven't learned how to use the nexus mods. Are most of these available on steam?

QuikSsurfer
12-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Well fuck me, I haven't learned how to use the nexus mods. Are most of these available on steam?

It's pie. Just download the nexus mod manager - http://skyrimnexus.com/content/modmanager

It's so easy GoChiefs could do it. If you can't figure it out - there are plenty of youtube guides for this. You're on your own now... dovahkinn

Sorter
12-08-2012, 02:14 PM
You're on your own now... dovahkinn

ROFL

Sorter
12-08-2012, 02:19 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mejzvkkjFP1qzpsuoo1_500.jpg

Frazod
12-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Just downloaded a mod that supposedly fixes all the bugs in Dawnguard.

Well shit, I guess this means I have to start a new character now.

Now starting hour 730..... :)

htismaqe
12-09-2012, 03:15 PM

OCD

htismaqe
12-09-2012, 03:16 PM

I don't use enchanting. I am a Nord that has an extreme hatred of magic.

I am playing on master with no enchantments and limited smithing.

Frazod
12-09-2012, 04:20 PM
I don't use enchanting. I am a Nord that has an extreme hatred of magic.

I am playing on master with no enchantments and limited smithing.

Is your character's name Daboll by any chance? :D

Hammock Parties
12-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Played in 2560x1440 last night. I came.

QuikSsurfer
12-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Played in 2560x1440 last night. I came.

FPS? What mods?
Any screenshots?

RustShack
12-09-2012, 10:09 PM
It won't be worth it. The meat of the game is the Dark Brotherhood, Civil War, and Daedric quests... and mods.

What are the Daedric quests? I feel like I've done it but just wanna make sure. Also, I'm an idiot and just killed the leader when the Dark Brotherhood kidnapped me :doh!:

Hammock Parties
12-09-2012, 10:10 PM
FPS? What mods?
Any screenshots?

Haven't applied any mods yet but I'll take a few screens. Was getting about 30 fps outdoors and 60 inside. Probably gonna disable FSAA because I'd rather have the framerate boost.

Hammock Parties
12-09-2012, 10:14 PM
What are the Daedric quests? I feel like I've done it but just wanna make sure. Also, I'm an idiot and just killed the leader when the Dark Brotherhood kidnapped me :doh!:

You go to shrines, the daedric lords talk to you and send you on quests to get shit mostly.

RustShack
12-10-2012, 08:00 PM
You go to shrines, the daedric lords talk to you and send you on quests to get shit mostly.

Ohh ok yeah, I've done a few of those. Which reminds me, does that star you get from one actually do anything?

QuikSsurfer
12-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Ohh ok yeah, I've done a few of those. Which reminds me, does that star you get from one actually do anything?

Azura Star? I don't remember if it serves a real purpose.. It's just really valuable and is a throwback to the same Oblivion item, IIRC.

QuikSsurfer
12-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Haven't applied any mods yet but I'll take a few screens. Was getting about 30 fps outdoors and 60 inside. Probably gonna disable FSAA because I'd rather have the framerate boost.

Disable FSAA and keep your resolution high.. Also download a few of those cosmetic mods I posted last page. Have a change of pants ready.

Frazod
12-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Playing this again, I'm reminded how much I hate the leveling system. I wish somebody would come up with a mod that changes it to something more like Fallout.

Fire Me Boy!
12-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Azura Star? I don't remember if it serves a real purpose.. It's just really valuable and is a throwback to the same Oblivion item, IIRC.

It's a refillable grand (or black) soul gem. Use it over and over.

whoman69
12-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Playing this again, I'm reminded how much I hate the leveling system. I wish somebody would come up with a mod that changes it to something more like Fallout.

I'm sure there are tons of mods. They had mods for levelling in Oblivion

Frazod
12-11-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm sure there are tons of mods. They had mods for levelling in Oblivion

I'll have to check on that.

patteeu
01-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Am I missing something or does this game have a pretty shitty UI? I know there are a few hotkeys available, but to have access to a wider variety of spells, potions, weapons, shouts and scrolls, do you really need to drill down through one of the inventory-like screens to select it before the action can resume?

Frazod
01-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Am I missing something or does this game have a pretty shitty UI? I know there are a few hotkeys available, but to have access to a wider variety of spells, potions, weapons, shouts and scrolls, do you really need to drill down through one of the inventory-like screens to select it before the action can resume?

I use the categorized favorites menu mod.

patteeu
01-12-2013, 11:39 AM
I use the categorized favorites menu mod.

Thanks. I haven't tried any mods yet, but I'll look for that one.

Frazod
01-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks. I haven't tried any mods yet, but I'll look for that one.

The mods add a lot to the game, but they can also make it twitchy, so be warned.

Something in the combo of mods I use really screwed with the Dawnguard DLC. At first it simply wouldn't allow my character to turn into a vampire lord, but in my last go-around it created a glitch where one of the Dawnguard guys keeps attacking all the rest of the Dawnguard members, and the quest has just completely stalled. I'm going to have to go back to my last manual save point, which will cost me a couple of days of game time, and hope I can find a way to work past it. Assuming I even bother.

Imon Yourside
01-12-2013, 11:02 PM
and now for something completely new...

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H301UTpuzX8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

download it here...

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/24709/

Fire Me Boy!
01-18-2013, 10:29 AM
http://www.bethblog.com/2013/01/18/the-dragonborn-comes-in-february-and-hearthfire-dawnguard-too/

The Dragonborn Comes in February (and Hearthfire & Dawnguard, too)

PC and PS3 fans, prepare to cast off. Next month, you will travel to Solstheim, home of Skyrim’s latest add-on, Dragonborn. PS3 fans can expect an expanded itinerary – with stops at Fort Dawnguard and Castle Volkihar – before heading back to the home of your dreams. Details below:

PC: On Tuesday, February 5th, Dragonborn will be available on Steam, including the English, French, Italian, Spanish and German versions of the content.

PlayStation 3: Dragonborn will be the first add-on arriving on PSN in February. Hearthfire will release next, followed by Dawnguard, and all three should be out in February. The 1.8 update will also release, just prior to Dragonborn. We’ll keep you posted as release dates get finalized both on our end and with Sony for each and its various languages. Last but not least, each one will be 50% off during their launch week on PSN.

Over the last year, it’s been a treat for us to work on new content for Skyrim, and we’re excited that it will soon be available for everyone to explore. Thanks for all your support and sharing your adventures with us.

QuikSsurfer
01-18-2013, 11:26 AM
50% off during launch week for PSN? That's a good start, if the fucking thing actually plays!

No matter -- I've already switched to PC for this game.

whoman69
01-18-2013, 02:32 PM
wonder when the GOTY edition is going to be available with all the add-ons will come out

RustShack
01-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Any dates for PS3 set yet?

Crush
01-23-2013, 09:37 PM
New Elder Scrolls Online trailer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0jNT5cMwxw0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pants
01-23-2013, 09:50 PM
If Bethesda finally gets the loot system right, this could be an epic game.

Hammock Parties
01-23-2013, 09:56 PM
I really hate that they're making this, because Bethesda shits gold for me, and if they follow their gold-shitting pattern, my life is going to be ruined because of this.

Buck
01-23-2013, 10:14 PM
JUST MAKE A NEW FALLOUT HURRY

Pants
01-23-2013, 10:20 PM
JUST MAKE A NEW FALLOUT HURRY

Was a rumor they're working on one for next gen.

keg in kc
01-23-2013, 10:24 PM
Saw the trailer earlier, it looks like every bethesda game I've played for the last five years: really pretty, no substance. I'll sign up for the beta anyway, cause I like free.

Pants
01-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Saw the trailer earlier, it looks like every bethesda game I've played for the last five years: really pretty, no substance. I'll sign up for the beta anyway, cause I like free.

Hey, just out of curiosity how do you rank your top 5 RPGs (MMOs or SP)?

Are all 5 made by BioWare?

keg in kc
01-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Hey, just out of curiosity how do you rank your top 5 RPGs (MMOs or SP)?

Are all 5 made by BioWare?I can't just list 5, these are basically all equally favorite, with Torment, BG and KoTOR being the top and the rest being a notch below.

1) Planescape: Torment - Black Isle
2) Baldur's Gate 1/2 - Bioware
3) Knights of the Old Republic 1/2 - Bioware/Obsidian
4) Fallout 1/2 - Interplay
5) System Shock 2 - Irrational Games
6) Mass Effect 1/2/3 - Bioware
7) Deus Ex - Ion Storm
8) Icewind Dale 1/2 - Black Isle
9) TES 3: Morrowind - Bethesda
10) Neverwinter Nights 1/2 - Bioware/Obsidian

I haven't always been anti-bethesda. I played the living shit out of Morrowind. Hundreds and hundreds of hours. Oblivion and Fallout 3 both lost me between 20 and 30 hours in. I've been told Skyrim is worth playing, maybe someday when it's really cheap. I think as I get older, though, open world games interest me less and less, I need story over character building and grinding, so I don't expect I'll get into it.

I think the best trailer I saw today was for Heart of the Swarm (the opening cinematic for the SC2 expansion, it was pretty awesome).

Pants
01-23-2013, 11:18 PM
I can't just list 5, these are basically all equally favorite, with Torment, BG and KoTOR being the top and the rest being a notch below.

1) Planescape: Torment - Black Isle
2) Baldur's Gate 1/2 - Bioware
3) Knights of the Old Republic 1/2 - Bioware/Obsidian
4) Fallout 1/2 - Interplay
5) System Shock 2 - Irrational Games
6) Mass Effect 1/2/3 - Bioware
7) Deus Ex - Ion Storm
8) Icewind Dale 1/2 - Black Isle
9) TES 3: Morrowind - Bethesda
10) Neverwinter Nights 1/2 - Bioware/Obsidian

I haven't always been anti-bethesda. I played the living shit out of Morrowind. Hundreds and hundreds of hours. Oblivion and Fallout 3 both lost me between 20 and 30 hours in. I've been told Skyrim is worth playing, maybe someday when it's really cheap. I think as I get older, though, open world games interest me less and less, I need story over character building and grinding, so I don't expect I'll get into it.

I think the best trailer I saw today was for Heart of the Swarm (the opening cinematic for the SC2 expansion, it was pretty awesome).

That's a kickass list, man. I enjoy a good rat-race grind myself but those don't come close to a story like say KOTOR or Mass Effect for me. Anyway, maybe one day someone will be able to come out with a game that incorporates both, but that might require a prohibitively long development, so probably not. :)

I am planning on giving ES Online a go though, because I always seem to enjoy Bethesda games right up to the point when my character stops progressing (I've discussed this too many times before). The trailer itself was pretty epic, almost up to par with Blizzard.

keg in kc
01-23-2013, 11:27 PM
SWTOR should probably go on that list, as much as I've played it. I just finished my 6th character arc (bounty hunter) and started the last two, sith warrior and sith inquisitor, this week.

Unfortunately (so far) my fear for that game has come to fruition, as they've added absolutely nothing to it story-wise in the year since release, with the exception of the quest for HK-51, which can be done in a day. Everything they're added has been raiding and PvP (well, and cartel market). Which was just adding more grinding to an endgame that was already nothing but grinding.

And I've actually done a fair bit of it, mainly dailies, space missions (they introduced new ones a month ago that have black hole comm rewards) and hard mode fps. I still haven't done any raiding yet.

The story part of it has been great for me. Playing through all the class stories, I'm online as much now as I was a year ago (which is bad, really...). I don't know how the expansion's going to be. I worry that it's going to be less than a week of new stuff and then back to the endgame grind. They've already announced there's no class story aspect to it, and everybody's chapter 4 is a faction-wide story arc, which is a disappointment, if not a surprise. There's enough to keep my sub going for another 6 months, but after that? Not sure.

Anyway, I got sidetracked, the main point was that I'm okay with a certain amount of grinding, too. There's a calming aspect to turning your brain off like that. But I don't know that Bethesda can give me enough interesting stuff outside of that to keep me invested.

RustShack
01-23-2013, 11:27 PM
I need a cheap gaming computer for ESO..

Crush
02-03-2013, 01:56 AM
PC finally gets Dragonborn on the 5th.

PS3 DLC release dates finally announced:
Dragonborn - Feb. 12th.
Hearthfire - Feb. 19th.
Dawnguard - Feb. 26th.

htismaqe
02-03-2013, 08:54 PM
PC finally gets Dragonborn on the 5th.

PS3 DLC release dates finally announced:
Dragonborn - Feb. 12th.
Hearthfire - Feb. 19th.
Dawnguard - Feb. 26th.

Perfect timing. Dragonborn will hit about the same time I max my smithing skill, allowing me to use some of those bones I have been saving.

I checked this morning for shits and grins - I have 175 hours in right now and I am about half done with clearing the map.

htismaqe
02-03-2013, 08:58 PM
I really hate that they're making this, because Bethesda shits gold for me, and if they follow their gold-shitting pattern, my life is going to be ruined because of this.

It's not actually being done by Bethesda. It's being done by Zenimax Studios.

Pants
02-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Perfect timing. Dragonborn will hit about the same time I max my smithing skill, allowing me to use some of those bones I have been saving.

I checked this morning for shits and grins - I have 175 hours in right now and I am about half done with clearing the map.

Have you ever tried playing an MMO?

patteeu
02-04-2013, 07:51 AM
I've got a couple hundred hours in the basic game now and I've decided that I probably played it wrong. I focused early on smithing, alchemy and enchanting. I ended up making better equipment for myself than anything I can find in the game. It really drained any suspense out of the battles when even the most powerful bad guys have trouble hurting me and die to a quick flurry of strikes or a couple of arrow hits.

bsp4444
02-04-2013, 07:59 AM
I went about it the other way...I focused on destruction magic and archery skills. I'm only just now going back and doing smithing so I can level up. Destruction archery and sneak are all above 90, but I'm only level 52.

patteeu
02-04-2013, 08:07 AM
I went about it the other way...I focused on destruction magic and archery skills. I'm only just now going back and doing smithing so I can level up. Destruction archery and sneak are all above 90, but I'm only level 52.

In retrospect, that's probably a better, less exploitative way to play the game.

IMO, the enchanting/smithing/alchemy system breaks the game. You shouldn't be able to create more powerful gear than you can find unless there's also a limit on your ability to develop your combat skills if you focus on the craft skills (so that the super gear just compensates for low skill).

I think I'm level 61 with 100s in Alchemy, Smithing, Enchanting, Lockpicking, 1-Hand, and Heavy Armor and 90+ in Archery, Light Armor, Speech, and Sneak. My perks were used primarily to improve 1-Hand, Smithing, and Enchanting. Getting up to the "Merchant" perk in Speech was useful.

htismaqe
02-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Have you ever tried playing an MMO?

No. I don't want to end up as one of those stories they use to condemn gaming. :D

htismaqe
02-04-2013, 09:55 AM
I've got a couple hundred hours in the basic game now and I've decided that I probably played it wrong. I focused early on smithing, alchemy and enchanting. I ended up making better equipment for myself than anything I can find in the game. It really drained any suspense out of the battles when even the most powerful bad guys have trouble hurting me and die to a quick flurry of strikes or a couple of arrow hits.

I don't use enchants at all, only use alchemy for healing potions, and only level smithing in order to upgrade my weapons and armor.

I am also playing as a Nord "Hold Guard" so I only use hold guard armor (classified as light) and do not use anything "out of character" - no heavy armor, only "Nord" weapons like iron and steel (no ebony, elven, dead rid, or anything like that), no magic items or spells.

patteeu
02-04-2013, 10:15 AM
I don't use enchants at all, only use alchemy for healing potions, and only level smithing in order to upgrade my weapons and armor.

I am also playing as a Nord "Hold Guard" so I only use hold guard armor (classified as light) and do not use anything "out of character" - no heavy armor, only "Nord" weapons like iron and steel (no ebony, elven, dead rid, or anything like that), no magic items or spells.

That's pretty impressive.

htismaqe
02-04-2013, 10:17 AM
That's pretty impressive.

I am also playing on the highest difficulty level. I die once in a while. ;)

Frazod
02-04-2013, 10:20 AM

The problem with that is eventually you'll have to start using the "out of character" skills or you'll quit gaining experience points.

htismaqe
02-04-2013, 10:25 AM
The problem with that is eventually you'll have to start using the "out of character" skills or you'll quit gaining experience points.

I'm level 52 now and the only "out of character" perks I have taken so far have been on the right side of the smithing tree (to get to dragon smithing).

I have perks in light armor, blocking, 1-handed, 2-handed, archery, and alchemy. Only blocking, light armor, and 1-handed are maxed at 100.

I have plenty of room to grow in 2-handed, archery, alchemy, lockpicking, and speechcraft before I have to do anything "out of character".

patteeu
02-04-2013, 10:28 AM

Yeah, I initially tried to only used one-handed combat with very little archery or sneak, but after I maxed out in one-hand and heavy armor, I decided to switch to sneak, light armor, and archery to keep earning XP.

I admire the way htismaqe is approaching the game though. I wish I'd have made some ground rules for myself like that, although I woudn't have gone as far as he did. I probably should have sworn off enchanting altogether. That alone would have probably made a pretty big difference.

htismaqe
02-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I initially tried to only used one-handed combat with very little archery or sneak, but after I maxed out in one-hand and heavy armor, I decided to switch to sneak, light armor, and archery to keep earning XP.

I admire the way htismaqe is approaching the game though. I wish I'd have made some ground rules for myself like that, although I woudn't have gone as far as he did. I probably should have sworn off enchanting altogether. That alone would have probably made a pretty big difference.

I look at it this way. I am missing out on the power of enchanting.

I also don't have to do ANY managing of soul gems or any of that recharging shit...

Frazod
02-04-2013, 10:54 AM

Personally I think it's retarded, but so what? If it works for him and he enjoys it, more power to him.

For me, games like this are all about advancing my character and getting the highest level skills/best equipment possible. As soon as I can't do that anymore, I lose interest quickly. Skyrim requires that you be flexible and have a well-rounded character to do that effectively, so I roll with it.

patteeu
02-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Personally I think it's retarded, but so what? If it works for him and he enjoys it, more power to him.

For me, games like this are all about advancing my character and getting the highest level skills/best equipment possible. As soon as I can't do that anymore, I lose interest quickly. Skyrim requires that you be flexible and have a well-rounded character to do that effectively, so I roll with it.

I don't play games like this much. It's been a decade since I last played an RPG all the way through (NWN 1). My initial approach was just like what you seem to be describing and it was a lot of fun to advance and see how good I could make my enchanted equipment, but eventually I got to the point where my battles with the bad guys were pretty ho hum because my gear was just too good.

I'm still playing and trying to find ways to keep it interesting though.

Fire Me Boy!
02-04-2013, 05:46 PM
I just started a new character - complete mage. I'm not using any armor, and using only magic or bound weapons. It's been interesting - added a significant level of difficulty since I have no armor, especially early on.

The Franchise
02-04-2013, 05:48 PM
I just started a new character - complete mage. I'm not using any armor, and using only magic or bound weapons. It's been interesting - added a significant level of difficulty since I have no armor, especially early on.

I take it that you do a lot of running away.

Fire Me Boy!
02-04-2013, 06:20 PM
I take it that you do a lot of running away.

No, but I've done a lot of dying! ROFL

The only time I've actually run away from something was at Shearpoint. Krosis flat kicked my ass.

Pants
02-04-2013, 08:49 PM

Welcome to Bethesda games.

RustShack
02-04-2013, 10:26 PM
It got a lot less fun after I got dragon armor. Hopefully I get back into these expansions.

Fire Me Boy!
02-05-2013, 06:48 AM
It got a lot less fun after I got dragon armor. Hopefully I get back into these expansions.

Play a mage wearing only robes, gloves, and boots...

Sorter
02-05-2013, 12:08 PM
I'm thinking of starting over soon.

RustShack
02-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Dragonborn tomorrow!

htismaqe
02-12-2013, 08:30 AM
Dragonborn tomorrow!

Make sure you download ASAP.

Sony is "apologizing" for the delay by offering all DLC at half price...

FOR A WEEK.

Weak.

RustShack
02-12-2013, 01:32 PM
It's not there... >:(

htismaqe
02-12-2013, 01:39 PM

ROFL

Of course not.

What about the 1.8 patch?

Fire Me Boy!
02-12-2013, 01:39 PM

I've had it for a month and beat it...

htismaqe
02-12-2013, 01:44 PM
I've had it for a month and beat it...

And you paid a premium for it too, M$ fanboi. :D

RustShack
02-12-2013, 02:09 PM
ROFL

Of course not.

What about the 1.8 patch?

Yeah I downloaded that. It now says downloadable content, but there's nothing there yet or in the PSN store.

bsp4444
02-12-2013, 04:26 PM
I'll be looking for Dragonborn when I get home.

RustShack
02-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Still not there.

RustShack
02-12-2013, 06:43 PM
After about 30 fucking minutes of trying to get my debt or credit card to work it's finally downloading!!! I had to look at my information online because for some reason the bank had my old area code with my new address.

htismaqe
02-12-2013, 06:46 PM
After about 30 fucking minutes of trying to get my debt or credit card to work it's finally downloading!!! I had to look at my information online because for some reason the bank had my old area code with my new address.

I had my wife pick up a pre-paid card today so thankfully, I won't have to deal with all of that.

Pants
02-12-2013, 10:17 PM
And you paid a premium for it too, M$ fanboi. :D

13 cents a day, man. Totally worth it. :evil:

RustShack
02-12-2013, 10:34 PM
And I'm sucked back in again

htismaqe
02-13-2013, 08:54 AM
13 cents a day, man. Totally worth it. :evil:

Here's a novel concept - I paid Netflix already and can watch Netflix WITHOUT paying Sony too! :thumb:

bsp4444
02-13-2013, 02:17 PM
Well, I downloaded it, but have not had a chance to view it, yet.

Fire Me Boy!
02-13-2013, 03:50 PM
Here's a novel concept - I paid Netflix already and can watch Netflix WITHOUT paying Sony too! :thumb:

So can I, right from my DVD player. Amazon Prime streaming too.

htismaqe
02-13-2013, 04:47 PM
So can I, right from my DVD player. Amazon Prime streaming too.

So you have 2 devices to do what my one can do.

You paid EXTRA.

TWICE.

:evil:

Fire Me Boy!
02-13-2013, 05:06 PM
So you have 2 devices to do what my one can do.

You paid EXTRA.

TWICE.

:evil:

I had a PlayStation 3. It sucked.

htismaqe
02-13-2013, 05:16 PM
I had a PlayStation 3. It sucked.

I had a 360 since launch. Great system but not really any better (or worse) than the PS3. At that point, the only real differentiator is online play - I don't play online.

I just got tired of getting gouged by M$. I don't play online so them continuing to shove an online membership down my throat as the ONLY way to get certain services became a matter of principle at some point.

Fire Me Boy!
02-13-2013, 05:41 PM
I had a 360 since launch. Great system but not really any better (or worse) than the PS3. At that point, the only real differentiator is online play - I don't play online.

I just got tired of getting gouged by M$. I don't play online so them continuing to shove an online membership down my throat as the ONLY way to get certain services became a matter of principle at some point.

My biggest complaint about PS3 was game selection. Also didn't like controllers. I don't care about online play either, so I don't subscribe...

htismaqe
02-13-2013, 05:45 PM
My biggest complaint about PS3 was game selection. Also didn't like controllers. I don't care about online play either, so I don't subscribe...

Well, again, you can't use Netflix, or Hulu, or ESPN, or anything else, if you don't subscribe. For you, that's not a big deal because you have another device to do that. For me, in my setup, I need an all-in-one device.

And as I found out, there's certain couch coop games that you can't play with the person SITTING NEXT TO YOU, if you don't BOTH subscribe.

I've completely adjusted to the PS3 controller - it's a non-issue.

Add in the fact that Microsoft gave me the run-around on my kids' Live accounts for over 3 months (it took 30 seconds to make the same changes to their PSN accounts) and another 3 months to cancel their accounts after I had decided I had had enough, I won't buy another Microsoft product ever again.

RustShack
02-13-2013, 08:13 PM
The only edge Xbox had for me was most of my friends had that instead. Now that more people are switching to the superior system, PS3 easy.

htismaqe
02-13-2013, 08:19 PM
The only edge Xbox had for me was most of my friends had that instead. Now that more people are switching to the superior system, PS3 easy.

Yeah, I didn't play online, even with friends. And using the XBox for IM? ROFL

RustShack
02-14-2013, 12:16 AM
I only played games like Halo and COD, and it was more fun on teams with your friends wearing headsets if we weren't in the same house. Skyrim is the first game I've gotten into by myself since like Madden 05(and all the previous ones). Oh but I did buy 2K13 last week that I also play by myself. I just prefer the PS3.

bsp4444
02-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Played about 30 minutes of Dragonborn. Liked it. It's nice to see some different terrain.

RustShack
02-15-2013, 01:10 PM
I got a shit ton of gold from a cave last night. Like thousands in one cave.

Hammock Parties
02-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Played about 30 minutes of Dragonborn. Liked it. It's nice to see some different terrain.

Screenshtos, por favor.

RustShack
02-19-2013, 04:11 PM
I've done everything on Dragonborn.. Does the next one come out tonight?

htismaqe
02-19-2013, 04:31 PM
I've done everything on Dragonborn.. Does the next one come out tonight?

Yes. Unfortunately, tonight's is Hearthfire...

Fire Me Boy!
02-19-2013, 04:37 PM
Yes. Unfortunately, tonight's is Hearthfire...

There are some things in Hearthfire that are pretty cool. If you do much alchemy, you can grow a pretty extensive garden for ingredients...

htismaqe
02-19-2013, 05:27 PM
There are some things in Hearthfire that are pretty cool. If you do much alchemy, you can grow a pretty extensive garden for ingredients...

You can also build a house in the 3 marches that didn't have a house in them.

You can also adopt kids and stuff.

But as far as I can tell, there's no actual new awesome quest content like in Dragonborn and Dawnguard.

It looks like "The Sims" for Skyrim.

QuikSsurfer
02-19-2013, 05:52 PM

I don't guess you're playing on PC?

RustShack
02-19-2013, 05:57 PM
I just found the Bards college... Pretty sure this is like the only thing in the game I hadn't done yet.

RustShack
02-21-2013, 11:18 PM
I ended up spending the $2.49 for Hearthfire. My house is pretty legit. And I adopted a little boy and girl. Damn slut wanted some money her first night in the house. The boy told me I could take what I wanted out of his chest... he just has bugs and plants and shit in there.

Damn kids.

htismaqe
02-22-2013, 08:15 AM
I ended up spending the $2.49 for Hearthfire. My house is pretty legit. And I adopted a little boy and girl. Damn slut wanted some money her first night in the house. The boy told me I could take what I wanted out of his chest... he just has bugs and plants and shit in there.

Damn kids.

ROFL

Fish
02-22-2013, 09:04 AM

Damn kids.

Most people play games to get away from that kind of bullshit....

whoman69
03-24-2013, 08:09 AM
I finally was able to get my new computer and play Skyrim. I must say I like a lot of things about it compared to Oblivion. There are a heck of a lot more side quests and things to do, a lot more places to find. I do find not a lot of variety in the caves and mines.

I am a 30th level male Breton who is mostly concentrating on one hand, smithing, and destruction

hometeam
03-24-2013, 10:28 AM
I finally was able to get my new computer and play Skyrim. I must say I like a lot of things about it compared to Oblivion. There are a heck of a lot more side quests and things to do, a lot more places to find. I do find not a lot of variety in the caves and mines.

I am a 30th level male Breton who is mostly concentrating on one hand, smithing, and destruction

If you haven't yet, register your game with steam, makes it super easy to download/install/update mods and can really increase the playability/scope of the game

whoman69
03-24-2013, 12:28 PM
If you haven't yet, register your game with steam, makes it super easy to download/install/update mods and can really increase the playability/scope of the game

Bought it from steam

Fish
03-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Been doing another run through of this game myself. Got a mean green Orc Warrior this time. No Magic. War axes and maces only. I'm trying to do the majority of the side quests this time, since I flew through the game too quickly last time.

Doing a bunch of Dark Brotherhood assassinations right now. I'd forgotten how much fun that is...

Fire Me Boy!
03-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Been doing another run through of this game myself. Got a mean green Orc Warrior this time. No Magic. War axes and maces only. I'm trying to do the majority of the side quests this time, since I flew through the game too quickly last time.

Doing a bunch of Dark Brotherhood assassinations right now. I'd forgotten how much fun that is...

I recently started with Nord to play the Stormcloak quest line. Heavy armor, two-handed hammer, no magic, run-in-guns-ablazin' character. And I'm not being greedy this time around and picking through every random urn - bodies and chests only. That makes cave diving and ruin exploring a lot faster...

Beef Supreme
03-25-2013, 01:29 PM
I absolute love the worlds that Bethesda creates, Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3, etc...but their combat mechanics suck.

Fish
03-25-2013, 02:49 PM
I recently started with Nord to play the Stormcloak quest line. Heavy armor, two-handed hammer, no magic, run-in-guns-ablazin' character. And I'm not being greedy this time around and picking through every random urn - bodies and chests only. That makes cave diving and ruin exploring a lot faster...

I'm finding my second run through much much more enjoyable. Like you, more exploring and less opening every chest, urn, pile, stash, dead body, etc. I'm putting much more resources into Smithing and Enchanting too, and making weapons much better than any I can find in a fight. I'm taking my time, doing all the side quests I want, and focusing my points into specific areas.

Last run through was a constant battle of having enough mana and magic potions to throw fireballs at everything that moved. And while that was fun, it required shitloads of work to battle the way I wanted. This time I'm keeping it simple. Violent hack and slash.

I'm doing a lot more exploring as well. I can't believe the amount of stuff I missed the first time.

whoman69
04-04-2013, 08:04 AM
I just found the Bards college... Pretty sure this is like the only thing in the game I hadn't done yet.

Totally underwhelming. Only one real quest and a few side quests. No ability to play instruments, no progression. The player is essentially a gopher.

whoman69
04-04-2013, 08:15 AM
The gopher aspect of this game is probably its biggest weakness. In Oblivion you had to do a bit of investigation to find the location the quest would take you. In this game the quest giver just marks the location on your map and its up to you to find it. Its also very difficult to find the path to some locations, even with clairvoyance, especially for dragon roosts.

patteeu
04-04-2013, 08:22 AM
The gopher aspect of this game is probably its biggest weakness. In Oblivion you had to do a bit of investigation to find the location the quest would take you. In this game the quest giver just marks the location on your map and its up to you to find it. Its also very difficult to find the path to some locations, even with clairvoyance, especially for dragon roosts.

It's pretty easy on horseback. Just ride up the side of the mountain.

WhiteWhale
04-04-2013, 08:27 AM

You never played Morrowind apparently.

Also, I'm pretty sure Oblivion marked the map in the exact same way.

whoman69
04-04-2013, 09:56 PM
You never played Morrowind apparently.

Also, I'm pretty sure Oblivion marked the map in the exact same way.

Not quite. Generally you needed a bit of investigation to find out where the quest would end up. And they weren't all just dungeon diving.

Swanman
04-05-2013, 07:17 AM
I am trying to get back into the game and the fucking thing keeps freezing on the PS3. One one particular side mission it has frozen 4 times. I may try playing on my slim PS3 and see if it works better.

patteeu
04-05-2013, 08:21 AM
I am trying to get back into the game and the ****ing thing keeps freezing on the PS3. One one particular side mission it has frozen 4 times. I may try playing on my slim PS3 and see if it works better.

Is it the one where you have to go on something like an acid trip?

Swanman
04-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Is it the one where you have to go on something like an acid trip?

Good memory, sir. I think it's called the Nightcaller chapel and you drink this potion where you go into a dream state to get to a certain point in the chapel.

WhiteWhale
04-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Not quite. Generally you needed a bit of investigation to find out where the quest would end up. And they weren't all just dungeon diving.

If you're going to say that Oblivion was less redundant, then I just don't agree at all.

All ES games are redundant, and Oblivion was the most redundant of the three I've played.

Also, FWIW, I hate walking around trying to find locations on the map. I hated it in morrowind and I love the map markers.

Swanman
04-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Good memory, sir. I think it's called the Nightcaller chapel and you drink this potion where you go into a dream state to get to a certain point in the chapel.

I just looked it up. If you try to save inside of the temple after you drink the potion, the game will freeze so you exit the temple and save and it should work ok. I fucking hate goofy glitches like that.

patteeu
04-05-2013, 08:31 AM

If you're on PC, there's a workaround that involves rapidly saving at just the right moment and then reloading. I'll try to find it.

Edit: I see you're on PS3 and that you've found a fix.

bsp4444
04-05-2013, 08:50 AM
I never got the Nightcaller Temple thing to work. I've seen "fixes" where youuse a platter to trick the game into going through a wall, or something, but I could never get it to work.

Frazod
04-05-2013, 08:53 AM
The main problem I have is with Dawnguard. I've never been able to transform into the vampire lord, so that entire quest line is unavailable for me. But the last time I tried to play as a straight vampire hunter, I encountered some glitch that made one of the main quest characters endlessly fight everybody. It was maddening.

whoman69
04-05-2013, 02:34 PM
If you're going to say that Oblivion was less redundant, then I just don't agree at all.

All ES games are redundant, and Oblivion was the most redundant of the three I've played.

Also, FWIW, I hate walking around trying to find locations on the map. I hated it in morrowind and I love the map markers.

Not saying its less redundant. I'm just saying you don't have to do any work to finish the quest. The quest giver in Skyrim almost always tells you exactly where to go. They made it to simple. Get the mission, go dungeon diving to get the goal, bring item back to quest giver. Rinse, repeat. There was a certain amount of that even in Oblivion, but you had to do some investigation to finish the quest. Oblivion also didn't have an arrow over the quest item.

Fire Me Boy!
04-08-2013, 10:37 AM
http://www.bethblog.com/2013/04/08/skyrim-1-9-update-on-consoles/#more-22071

Skyrim 1.9 Update on Consoles

Beginning today Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 players will have access to Skyrim’s 1.9 title updates by way of an automatic title update. Just be sure to have your console connected online to receive the title update.

In addition to adding Legendary Skills and the new Legendary difficult setting, the update adds a number of bug fixes. Full details below…

Skyrim 1.9

NEW FEATURES

Legendary difficulty setting
Legendary Skills – Skills of 100 can be made Legendary. This will reset the skill to 15, return its Perks and allow the skill to affect leveling again. This effectively removes the overall level cap.

whoman69
04-14-2013, 08:45 AM
Just downloaded Dragonborn. Have to say I'm liking it so far. I never really bought into the werewolf/vampire thing so Dawnguard will be the last official DLC I load. Anybody have suggestions on good quest mods?

Sorter
05-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Anyone use the construction kit?

buddha
05-08-2013, 09:29 AM
My kids use the construction kit and seem to enjoy it. They also dig Minecraft as well, so take it for what its worth.

Can somebody explain why I would want to have one of my 100 skill areas returned to 15 and start working up in that area again? What is the advantage?

patteeu
05-08-2013, 09:35 AM
My kids use the construction kit and seem to enjoy it. They also dig Minecraft as well, so take it for what its worth.

Can somebody explain why I would want to have one of my 100 skill areas returned to 15 and start working up in that area again? What is the advantage?

The only advantage I can think of is that it lets you get your overall level up over 80 or whatever it maxes out at in the original game.

hometeam
05-08-2013, 05:46 PM
The only advantage I can think of is that it lets you get your overall level up over 80 or whatever it maxes out at in the original game.

Yes, this is the concept.

It overcomes the 'soft cap' of maxing out all skills and being unable to level higher once maxed.

With the level reduced you can raise the skill again, and as you level you obviously gain more hard stats along with it.

patteeu
05-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Yes, this is the concept.

It overcomes the 'soft cap' of maxing out all skills and being unable to level higher once maxed.

With the level reduced you can raise the skill again, and as you level you obviously gain more hard stats along with it.

OK, I wasn't sure about whether that happened or not. That makes sense.

hometeam
05-08-2013, 06:07 PM
OK, I wasn't sure about whether that happened or not. That makes sense.

Yes, you keep gaining perks and the ability to increase one of your stats.

Fire Me Boy!
05-09-2013, 10:00 AM
I know it's Oblivion related, but ROFL:

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4750/93621964909288844007313.jpg

MotherfuckerJones
05-21-2013, 10:56 PM
I let my friend borrow it. Can't wait to get it back. I'm on Bioshock Infinite and Dead Island Riptide right now.

RustShack
06-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Elder Scrolls online will be on PS4 but not Xbox1 according to my roommate!

keg in kc
06-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Elder Scrolls online will be on PS4 but not Xbox1 according to my roommate!I believe your roommate is incorrect.

As I understand it's going to be on both, and they'll be segregated from PC and Mac players.

Raiderhater58
06-14-2013, 02:52 AM
will PS4 and XBox1 share the same server(s)?

keg in kc
06-14-2013, 08:40 AM
will PS4 and XBox1 share the same server(s)?Think that's how it's supposed to work. Consoles on one, home computers on another.

Imon Yourside
06-21-2013, 01:06 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RB_AB8P365w?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LMAO

Oh and skip to 8:15 in this vid..

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zwFgc7tOu3o?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>