PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Grilling corn

RJ
06-20-2009, 05:25 PM
There are two types of corn grillers, those who husk the corn before grilling and those who grill corn in the husks. Please tell me your arguments for your preferred method.

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

doomy3
06-20-2009, 05:27 PM
I don't really have an argument, but I grill mine without the husks.

I put some butter mixed with Parmesan, basil, and garlic on before, and then grill without the husks. Pretty damned good.

Gonzo
06-20-2009, 05:27 PM
I prefer grilling it in foil without the husks because I'm not a commie bastard.
Posted via Mobile Device

Halfcan
06-20-2009, 05:29 PM
ask John Elway

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Did someone say corn?????????

:drool:

RJ
06-20-2009, 05:48 PM
I prefer grilling it in foil without the husks because I'm not a commie bastard.
Posted via Mobile Device

Why the foil?

That would seem to defeat the purpose of grilling.

Do you wrap each ear individually?

Do you season them first?

Is the resulting corn more accuratley described as steamed or grilled?

Do it tastes gooood?

LaChapelle
06-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Do people get their fingers steamed from the husks? Nothing burns like a steam burn. OUCH

mlyonsd
06-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Grandpappie used to soak the corn husks and all for an hour or two in a 5 gallon bucket. Next he'd peel back the husks gingerly and try to remove as much silk as he could before wrapping the husks back up.

Then he'd put the corn, husks and all over the same fire he was cooking burgers, which was usually a wood fire.

I only remember it as being awesome but something I usually don't do now only because I'm lazy.

I think the key was soaking the corn in a bucket so it could take more heat over the fire.

RJ
06-20-2009, 06:07 PM
Grandpappie used to soak the corn husks and all for an hour or two in a 5 gallon bucket. Next he'd peel back the husks gingerly and try to remove as much silk as he could before wrapping the husks back up.

Then he'd put the corn, husks and all over the same fire he was cooking burgers, which was usually a wood fire.

I only remember it as being awesome but something I usually don't do now only because I'm lazy.

I think the key was soaking the corn in a bucket so it could take more heat over the fire.

Wow. Husking only the silk while attempting to leave the rest intact.

Your Grandpappie was a meticulous man, I raise my glass to him.

the Talking Can
06-20-2009, 06:08 PM
i can't think of a reason to remove the husks....except syphilis induced retardation

why would you want to expend more labor to create something less tasty and well cooked?

mlyonsd
06-20-2009, 06:11 PM

Try it once. I think soaking it for a couple hours makes peeling the husk and removing the silk easier.

Those old guys really knew their chit.

Gonzo
06-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Why the foil?

That would seem to defeat the purpose of grilling.

Do you wrap each ear individually?

Do you season them first?

Is the resulting corn more accuratley described as steamed or grilled?

Do it tastes gooood?

It's less messy, yes individualy wrapped, seasoned with butter and salt, more steamed than grilled and yeah, its pretty good. corn is corn, tough to fuck it up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Abba-Dabba
06-20-2009, 06:36 PM

Eh, it's not too hard. A minute, maybe, for 1 ear.

The trouble leaving the silk on is that it can burn and leave a ashy bitter taste. Who would want to take that stuff off hot anyway. Plus I like to check my ears of corn for worms before I cook them.

Agree that soaking in water is needed to reduce and prolong burning. Think of it as steaming.

ChiTown
06-20-2009, 06:38 PM

Holy Crap!

That's EXACTLY how I do it. Best corn in the world cooked that way.

KCTitus
06-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Soak. Remove Silk. Wrap bacon slice around the corn, close husk, grill...

Yummy

ChiTown
06-20-2009, 06:39 PM

Yummy

Bacon slice? Hellz yeah! Never tried that before, but it sounds delish

RJ
06-20-2009, 06:41 PM

Yummy

Wow. That's some serious decadence. :wayne:

Fire Me Boy!
06-20-2009, 06:45 PM
They way I've always done it... pull the silk, but leave the husks on. Soak in water for 30 minutes and grill until all the husks are pretty well charred.

It keeps them moist without charring the flesh.

RJ
06-20-2009, 06:55 PM
They way I've always done it... pull the silk, but leave the husks on. Soak in water for 30 minutes and grill until all the husks are pretty well charred.

It keeps them moist without charring the flesh.

But there are those who would argue that charring the flesh is a good thing.

Though apparently they are not CP members.

Fire Me Boy!
06-20-2009, 06:58 PM
But there are those who would argue that charring the flesh is a good thing.

Those people would be wrong.

RJ
06-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Those people would be wrong.

There are those who would argue that grilling in the husk is just a fancy way of steaming.

Iowanian
06-20-2009, 07:00 PM
Soak the husks, pull out the silk, throw some butter on the ear, pull them up and throw them on fire......that is unless you're a douchebag metrosexual.

Everyone with 2 cave man sized testicles knows this.

DJ's left nut
06-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Good god, people take the husks off?

Why the hell would you do that? Yeah, let's wrap my food in freakin' metal when there's already a perfect insulator on there that not only helps steam it better (giving it a much crisper texture) but also provides a great fresh flavor. It's also a hell of a lot tougher to screw it up this way, the husks provide a great buffer from the heat even if you set the ear over a hot spot.

I don't feel a need to make an argument here. Soak 'em in water for 1/2 an hour, grill 'em and eat 'em. The proof's in the puddin'. If you like putting a bunch of shit on it like parmesan and basil, just scoop it out of a can.

I can only guess that the 'foil' people also use gas grills and should probably just kill themselves.

KCUnited
06-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Soak. Remove silk. Chipotle butter the corn. Grill husk on.

Fire Me Boy!
06-20-2009, 07:10 PM
There are those who would argue that grilling in the husk is just a fancy way of steaming.

They'd be wrong, too.

If you pull the silk, you'll still get that charcoal, smoky flavor in the corn. Can't get that by steaming alone.

KCChiefsMan
06-20-2009, 07:10 PM
with the husks definately, soak them for a bit and remove all that silk, squeeze butter and whatever seasoning you like into the husk and throw on the grill. I love it

the Talking Can
06-20-2009, 07:15 PM

cooking corn in it's natural skin, with nothing added but a quick soak in water, is fancy?

but removing the corn's husk, to wrap it in a man made metal for the purpose of adding some precious spices, is not?

and if people want their corn charred, which turns it into leather, and insures it will come out your ass like machine gun fire, they can simply throw it back on the grill after cooking it in the husk until it is sufficiently ruined for them...

Fire Me Boy!
06-20-2009, 07:17 PM
cooking corn in it's natural skin, with nothing added but a quick soak in water, is fancy?

but removing the corn's husk, to wrap it in a man made metal for the purpose of adding some precious spices, is not?

and if people want their corn charred, which turns it into leather, and insures it will come out your ass like machine gun fire, they can simply throw it back on the grill after cooking it in the husk until it is sufficiently ruined for them...

If there was some kind of green card like super rep (opposite of the red and yellow infraction cards), you'd get one.

Until that option becomes available, this will have to suffice:

http://www.impawards.com/1990/posters/green_card.jpg

I'm Gerard Depardieu, you're Andie McDowell, in a non-gay way.

RJ
06-20-2009, 07:19 PM

I do not personally condone the act of wrapping the corn in man made metal, though I will certainly defend the right of another man to do so.

I know of men who cover their grills in foil. They are strange men, with strange ways, but their rights are worth defending as well.

the Talking Can
06-20-2009, 07:23 PM
If there was some kind of green card like super rep (opposite of the red and yellow infraction cards), you'd get one.

Until that option becomes available, this will have to suffice:

http://www.impawards.com/1990/posters/green_card.jpg

I'm Gerard Depardieu, you're Andie McDowell, in a non-gay way.

ROFL

we're arguing about corn like it was gannon/grbac

to each his own, obviously

....but the point of cooking corn is to make it tender while retaining as much moisture, flavor, and corn-ness as possible...which is why boiling and/or removing the husk are no-no's....you might roast it for a salsa, or for pureeing in a soup or something, i'd guess...

Fire Me Boy!
06-20-2009, 07:27 PM
I do not personally condone the act of wrapping the corn in man made metal, though I will certainly defend the right of another man to do so.

I know of men who cover their grills in foil. They are strange men, with strange ways, but their rights are worth defending as well.

I think we've gone over this, RJ. Those people are wrong.

:harumph:

2bikemike
06-20-2009, 07:36 PM
I don't clean out the silk. I just soak it in water for 30 minutes or so and throw it on the grill. It shucks pretty good when its cooked.

I have done corn in the foil with butter and seasonings. It is tasty cooked in butter and seasoning but I still prefer to grill it in the husk.

DJ's left nut
06-20-2009, 07:42 PM

In honesty, their very lives aren't worth defending, IMO.

That's just a damn travesty.

sedated
06-20-2009, 07:46 PM
I am a big fan of husking, then covering in butter and spices and wrapping individually in foil before cooking.

If you cook over direct heat, you still can get the char of the coals. And I think seasoning/buttering is easier before the cob is cooked. Plus, the previously mentioned silk burning issue.

However, I have never tried soaking them in water, so I might give that a try.

cdcox
06-20-2009, 07:47 PM
We went to a block party tonight and some one did the silkless huskon method. It was delicious, didn't even need butter or salt.

doomy3
06-20-2009, 07:48 PM
In honesty, their very lives aren't worth defending, IMO.

That's just a damn travesty.

You really take your corn seriously.

Mile High Mania
06-20-2009, 07:54 PM
I peel the husk back, tear out all the "corn hair", replace the husk and I place on foil on the grill... just to avoid them becoming too fried.

Pablo
06-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Pull back the husk, then strip the silk. I rub them down with olive oil and season with Cavender's. Their Greek seasoning compliments pretty much anything well. Wrap it back up the best you can..I don't leave the entire husk on, I strip away the outer-most layer. Then soak in water for about 30 minutes and throw it on the grill for about 20-25 minutes and it's good to go.

ILChief
06-20-2009, 08:49 PM
remove husk and silk. Soak in water for 20-30 min. season with salt and pepper. Grill (not wrapped in anything). Liberally brushed melted butter on the corn while grilling.

Delicioso!

Fire Me Boy!
06-20-2009, 09:05 PM
We went to a block party tonight and some one did the silkless huskon method. It was delicious, didn't even need butter or salt.

I'm a fan of corn au naturale. I don't even want salt on mine, MAYBE a little fresh cracked black pepper.

RJ
06-20-2009, 09:19 PM
remove husk and silk. Soak in water for 20-30 min. season with salt and pepper. Grill (not wrapped in anything). Liberally brushed melted butter on the corn while grilling.

Delicioso!

Another country heard from.

PastorMikH
06-20-2009, 09:39 PM
I've only grilled it with the husks on, basically because the person that brought the corn suggested it and I was too lazy to do the prep work to cook it differently. Only downside was we had husks and silk in the smoker for quite a while after that grilling session. It did taste really well though!

The Church in the past has grilled ears of corn for fundraisers. They grilled them in the husks, when people ordered an ear, they peeled back the husk (leaving them on as a handle) and dipped it in melted butter. They say it used to be a real hit.

Pioli Zombie
06-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Dear Lord bring back the football season FAST
Posted via Mobile Device

PastorMikH
06-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Dear Lord bring back the football season FAST
Posted via Mobile Device

Why? So I can be mad on Sundays because our local affiliates won't show the Chiefs games???

Buehler445
06-20-2009, 10:54 PM
I'm a fan of corn au naturale. I don't even want salt on mine, MAYBE a little fresh cracked black pepper.

This is pretty much me. No butter, no salt, nothing except glorious glorious CORN.

My dad grows some FUCKING AMAZING corn. I haven't found anything even close to as flavorful. Local store imports "locally grown" corn, farmers market, guys with a pickup on the road. I've tried it all, and it isn't as good. I think the variety he uses the most is Florida StaySweet for those that grow...

Anyway, I just typically boil it for 3 minutes. Keeps it from getting tough.

In my ignorance, I tried to grill it a couple times without the husks. It was a big box of fail. I will try the husks though. That sounds good.