PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Follow-up to Band of Brothers, 'The Pacific', coming to HBO in 2010

keg in kc
06-22-2009, 08:09 AM
First look here: http://www.pacificfans.com/trailer-videos

dirk digler
06-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Awesome I had no idea they were making this. It is about time the men who fought in the Pacific get their do since their fighting was alot more intense than what happened in Europe.

Shag
06-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Nice! I'm in the process of re-watching Band of Brothers on Blu-Ray - amazing series. I do find the European theater to be more interesting (to me), but I'm definitely looking forward to this one...

MVChiefFan
06-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Nice! I'm in the process of re-watching Band of Brothers on Blu-Ray - amazing series. I do find the European theater to be more interesting (to me), but I'm definitely looking forward to this one...

I'm with you on that. The European front has always really grabbed my attention. In fact, I'm ashamed to say I don't really know much about the Pacific. So, I'm pretty excited about this.

gblowfish
06-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Nuke Em.

keg in kc
06-22-2009, 09:16 AM
I'm with you on that. The European front has always really grabbed my attention. In fact, I'm ashamed to say I don't really know much about the Pacific. So, I'm pretty excited about this.Just a theory, but I'd say that's because pop culture has always latched onto the European theater. There've been far fewer films about the Pacific; it's not as romanticized.

blaise
06-22-2009, 09:17 AM

I find the European theater more interesting, too, maybe because my grandfather was there. But I loved Band of Brothers, so even if this is close to it it'll be great. I think a lot of it will depend on the men they choose to follow and the casting- both of those things in Band of Brothers were outstanding.
After Band of Brothers, as long as it was, I was wishing there was more, so I'm looking forward to this as well.

DTLB58
06-22-2009, 09:17 AM

I've always said "The Band of Brothers" Was the most powerful thing ever filmed. So I'm very excited to see this.

Frazod
06-22-2009, 09:19 AM
I always found the Pacific theater to be more interesting. Must be the sailor in me.

I'm really looking forward to this.

blaise
06-22-2009, 09:20 AM
Just a theory, but I'd say that's because pop culture has always latched onto the European theater. There've been far fewer films about the Pacific; it's not as romanticized.

I think that and also because more people here have European ties. Also because Hitler is such as figure in the European theater, that it somehow makes it more compelling.

Frazod
06-22-2009, 09:24 AM
I think that and also because more people here have European ties. Also because Hitler is such as figure in the European theater, that it somehow makes it more compelling.

The Japanese were far more barbaric than the Germans or Italians - at least to the average soldier.

Buck
06-22-2009, 09:25 AM
I know more about the Pacific since my Grandfather fought in Okinawa.

I'm super excited to see this, but I hope that it lives up to expectations, because Band of Brothers was just epic.

keg in kc
06-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Must be the sailor in me. What's his name?

(sorry, couldn't pass that one up... :evil:)

MOhillbilly
06-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Nuke Em.

X2

Frazod
06-22-2009, 09:32 AM
What's his name?

Yeah, I tee'd that up nicely, didn't I? :banghead:

MOhillbilly
06-22-2009, 09:34 AM
The Japanese were far more barbaric than the Germans or Italians - at least to the average soldier.

Marines didnt take near the POWs that the Army did.

Iowanian
06-22-2009, 09:37 AM
I've been watching BoB again. Its an excellent series and I'm looking forward to the Pacific.

Otter
06-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Dammit Keg!!!

MVChiefFan
06-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Just a theory, but I'd say that's because pop culture has always latched onto the European theater. There've been far fewer films about the Pacific; it's not as romanticized.

That sounds about right. My grandpa and great uncle were in Europe. My great uncle landed on Omaha beach (Saving Private Ryan). He was immediately shot in the back about an inch from his spine and sent home directly. My grandpa was a little too young to get in on the action but he went over to Europe and was a POW guard and transporter. My uncle's dad was actually a POW in a Nazi camp, there's some neat stories there.

kc rush
06-22-2009, 10:15 AM
My grandfather served in the Pacific as well, but he would never talk about it. I know that he saw friends killed and it really messed him up.

Demonpenz
06-22-2009, 10:24 AM
practice cutting soilders in half with their swords.

dirk digler
06-22-2009, 11:00 AM

Yep.

Iwo Jima was about a hundred times worse than D-Day.

Through in Tarawa and Peleliu and it was brutal hand-to-hand fighting.

Stryker
06-22-2009, 11:09 AM
I had heard they were going to do this shortly after I had watched the series (awesome! by the way). This is great news knowing it will be done.

So much action! I will have to watch BoB again now!

Dave Lane
06-22-2009, 11:40 AM
practice cutting soilders in half with their swords.

US was almost as bad. We basically didn't take prisoners. I was surprised when a friend of mines dad told me what the marines and he had done when there were prisoners.

Brock
06-22-2009, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I wondered how long it would take for a "But we were war criminals too" post to pop up.

Demonpenz
06-22-2009, 11:49 AM
US was almost as bad. We basically didn't take prisoners. I was surprised when a friend of mines dad told me what the marines and he had done when there were prisoners.

war is hell.

Demonpenz
06-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Jeez I bet these forums have some uhh stories www.leatherneck.com/forums

Otter
06-22-2009, 12:21 PM

My neighbor's father in law growing up was a POW in the pacific campaign in some capacity. Unfortunately I was too young grasp some of the stories he told about how the prisoners were treated.

The one thing I do remember him telling though is how badly the Japanese would treat red heads. I always pictured Ralph Malph getting the tar beaten out of him.

InChiefsHeaven
06-22-2009, 01:02 PM
The Japanese brutality spawned the American retaliatory brutality. It doesn't make it right, but Americans just are not a brutal people...unless they are pushed.

Long Duk Dong
06-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Speaking of the brutalities that the Japanese did in WWII, check out the book, "The Rape of NanKing"

For a primer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre

Here is another cool book about the Marines in th Pacific. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Edsons-Raiders-Marine-Raider-Battalion/dp/1557500207

teedubya
06-22-2009, 03:51 PM
What's his name?

What can you say? Frazod like Seamen.

Swanman
06-22-2009, 03:56 PM

I assume you mean in the Pacific theater. From what I've read about ETO, the Germans flocked west to surrender to us as we were a walk in the park compared to being captured by the Russians.

Swanman
06-22-2009, 03:58 PM

The Japanese were ready to fight until every last soldier was dead until we dropped the bombs. There was an invasion of mainland Japan planned that would have dwarfed D Day and been multiple times more brutal had they not surrendered.

Buck
06-22-2009, 06:15 PM
I would have probably heard about it by now, but they might feature some stuff from my Grandpa on there...He had a pretty famous story in Okinawa.

Frazod
06-22-2009, 06:17 PM
The Japanese were ready to fight until every last soldier was dead until we dropped the bombs. There was an invasion of mainland Japan planned that would have dwarfed D Day and been multiple times more brutal had they not surrendered.

Estimated U.S. casualties were around a million. The impact on the Japanese civilians would have been even worse.

Good thing we nuked the fuckers.

JOhn
06-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Yep.

Iwo Jima was about a hundred times worse than D-Day.

Through in Tarawa and Peleliu and it was brutal hand-to-hand fighting.

Betio had the worst ratio of American killed & wounded of any battle by far. Unfortunately it was a lesson we had to learn, the first opposed amphibious assault of the war.

Had we invaded Iwo 6 months earlier, as Halsey wanted to, it would have been a cake walk. And the sad thing about Peleliu is it was totally unnecessary, and opposed by everyone except Nimitz.

stlchiefs
06-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Can't wait. BOB is awesome. That's going to make for a long Memorial Day weekend watching BOB and this now!

keg in kc
09-14-2009, 02:29 PM
New trailer:

<object classid='clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000' codebase='http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0' width='320' height='305' id='mediumFlashEmbedded'><param name='movie' value='http://hbo.a.mms.mavenapps.net/mms/rt/1/site/hbo-hbocom1-pub01-live/current/pacific/multipleCategoryPlayer/client/embedded/embedded.swf'/><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'/><param name='scale' value='noscale'/><param name='salign' value='LT'/><param name='bgcolor' value='#000000'/><param name='wmode' value='window'/><param name='FlashVars' value='playerId=pacific&referralObject=6209624'/><embed type='application/x-shockwave-flash' src='http://hbo.a.mms.mavenapps.net/mms/rt/1/site/hbo-hbocom1-pub01-live/current/pacific/multipleCategoryPlayer/client/embedded/embedded.swf' id='mediumFlashEmbedded' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' menu='false' quality='high' play='false' name='embedded' height='305' width='320' allowScriptAccess='always' scale='noscale' salign='LT' bgcolor='#000000' wmode='window' flashvars='playerId=pacific&referralObject=6209624'/></object>

JohninGpt
09-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Dammit, I really would rather not get HBO, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Frazod
09-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Dammit, I really would rather not get HBO, but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Same here. I dumped it last year, but I guess I'll turn it back on for the couple of months this is on.

Buck
09-14-2009, 02:39 PM

Tell them you want a trail run for the couple months this is on.

gta0012
09-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Fuckin a i can't wait lvoed band of brothers

Jenson71
09-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Would you consider Band of Brothers an anti-war series?

DumbHillbillies
09-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Looking foward to it. Loved band of brothers even bought the dvds. Probably watch the series 3 or 4 times from beginning to end.

blaise
09-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Would you consider Band of Brothers an anti-war series?

Not by intent, I don't think. I don't think it comes across pro or against, really. I think most of all it's a story about the characters and (not to be redundant) their brotherhood. That was the compelling part, that they were all part of the Easy Company, they had pride in that, they knew how important what they were doing was, and they cared and relied on each other in a way that most people will never understand.
I think they did a good job of not glamorizing war, but not making some didactic point against it either. Mostly it was the story of these guys and what they did. That's why, even though I'm optimistic about this new series, I'm wondering a bit if they can capture that comraderie with a separate group of people.

gta0012
09-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Not by intent, I don't think. I don't think it comes across pro or against, really. I think most of all it's a story about the characters and (not to be redundant) their brotherhood. That was the compelling part, that they were all part of the Easy Company, they had pride in that, they knew how important what they were doing was, and they cared and relied on each other in a way that most people will never understand.
I think they did a good job of not glamorizing war, but not making some didactic point against it either. Mostly it was the story of these guys and what they did. That's why, even though I'm optimistic about this new series, I'm wondering a bit if they can capture that comraderie with a separate group of people.

I pretty much agree. I think its just a reality series. It shows the realities of war. It's up to the viewer to see both the bad and the good and make thier decisions etc.

InChiefsHeaven
09-15-2009, 05:23 AM
I pretty much agree. I think its just a reality series. It shows the realities of war. It's up to the viewer to see both the bad and the good and make thier decisions etc.

Agreed. What I found compelling about it was that these guys were there, they loved their country, but really it was all about each other. The episode "Why we fight" where they discover the concentration camp was particularly illuminating. After all the shit they had been through, they are tired and want to go home...then they find that shit and see a good reason for their sacrifices.

BoB is a great well done series. The book was even better, but they did a great job with the story.