PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto For those of you that ride without a helmet...Why?

Archie F. Swin
06-22-2009, 08:58 PM
What is it about the experience that makes it worth the increased risk of death?

88TG88
06-22-2009, 09:00 PM
they're expensive

Kyle DeLexus
06-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Endorphin release.

Bowser
06-22-2009, 09:13 PM
All the cool kids do it.

Psyko Tek
06-22-2009, 09:14 PM
chicks dig it!!!

Mr. Krab
06-22-2009, 09:17 PM
What is it about the experience that makes it worth the increased risk of death?wow ............ dad. :rolleyes:

Al Bundy
06-22-2009, 09:19 PM
chicks dig it!!!

Nahhh chicks dig this...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/37/76980006_f2e6051bc4.jpg?v=0

Scorp
06-22-2009, 09:21 PM
I don't want to be paralyzed, I would rather be dead.

Skip Towne
06-22-2009, 09:22 PM
It's my head. I'll split it open if I want to.

Bugeater
06-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Plus it's much cheaper to die than be in the hospital for months.

Groves
06-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Nasal mucus release.

FYP

pr_capone
06-22-2009, 09:55 PM
I bet this guy gets all the ladies on Zatox.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_yaczxAC8840/SaTHFWM_hmI/AAAAAAAAHKQ/HaLKzeI1IKw/s400/Great+Gazoo.gif

pr_capone
06-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Really though... I don't like full face or 3/4 face helmets because they seriously obstruct peripheral vision.

As for the half helmets... I have one (for riding in helmet required states) but would rather be in the wind regardless. I would rather die than leave my wife taking care of a vegetable version of me.

Archie F. Swin
06-22-2009, 10:09 PM
is it true freedom...the pure open riding experience?

wild1
06-22-2009, 10:10 PM
there is a myth that they increase risk of neck injury. there is also a myth that you shouldn't use the front brake... both belong in the same category...

morphius
06-22-2009, 10:19 PM
My last wreck would have left me with an even worse fucked up face than the one I was born with if not for the full faced helmet, as I landed on my chest and my head flung forward smashing into the ground. As it was I walked away with no real damage, after landing at 25 mph and flying probably close to 30 feet.

wild1
06-22-2009, 10:22 PM
that is another good point. i like having a jaw... and teeth...

morphius
06-22-2009, 10:42 PM
that is another good point. i like having a jaw... and teeth...
And the peripheral vision loss isn't bad at all on my Shoei, not even a centimeter total. Of course I always look anyway, 'cause its not like you can trust people in cars to.

ClevelandBronco
06-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Probably because you don't have a Cleveland Browns helmet...

KCChiefsMan
06-23-2009, 12:50 AM
you don't look tough with a helmet on

alnorth
06-23-2009, 01:34 AM
I prefer to think of it as a caring and selfless sacrifice. A lot of people on transplant lists die while waiting for hearts, livers, kidneys, lungs, etc. Thankfully we have these volunteer organ doners ready to step in when needed.

Just Passin' By
06-23-2009, 01:47 AM
Who rides motorcycles for safety reasons on any trail that a car can handle?

Katipan
06-23-2009, 06:17 AM
I spent my weekend on a crotch rocket. I ate bugs and my hair was a rat's nest when it was over.

Good enough reason to wear a helmet next time.

tmax63
06-23-2009, 06:21 AM
So you never left the bedroom all weekend?????????:evil:

Katipan
06-23-2009, 06:25 AM
ok that was cute until I started thinking about what bugs I would be eating and now Im very uncomfortable and would like to move on thank you

Skip Towne
06-23-2009, 06:37 AM
I spent my weekend on a crotch rocket. I ate bugs and my hair was a rat's nest when it was over.

I'll bet you looked like carrion.

Radar Chief
06-23-2009, 06:56 AM
is it true freedom...the pure open riding experience?

You get a feel for the elements and your surrounding environment, both good and bad, that no one in a car could understand.
You know, while driving down the highway, that monster horsefly that smacks your windshield with enough force that it sounds like a gunshot? To you windshield it’s just a splattered mess, now imagine that hitting your un-helmeted forehead.

Katipan
06-23-2009, 06:57 AM
I'll bet you looked like carrion.

Only to my ex.

Radar Chief
06-23-2009, 06:58 AM

What was it? I take it you were riding with a friend, or did you get a new toy you didn’t tell us about? :hmmm:

Katipan
06-23-2009, 07:08 AM
What was it? I take it you were riding with a friend, or did you get a new toy you didn’t tell us about? :hmmm:

A 650 Ninja. And while I did play bitch, I also took a turn. Have a little trouble shifting down so I just don't stop.

Radar Chief
06-23-2009, 07:16 AM
A 650 Ninja. And while I did play bitch, I also took a turn. Have a little trouble shifting down so I just don't stop.

Cool, a friends little brother has one of those. Nifty little bike.

Are you talking about downshifting without hopping the back tire?

KC Jones
06-23-2009, 07:18 AM
I always think it's amusing when Darwin candidates think no helmet somehow decreases the risk of brain trauma or becoming paralyzed. A buddy's boss just bit it last week and probably would have walked away with some broken bones if his melon had been covered.

Radar Chief
06-23-2009, 07:22 AM
I always think it's amusing when Darwin candidates think no helmet somehow decreases the risk of brain trauma or becoming paralyzed. A buddy's boss just bit it last week and probably would have walked away with some broken bones if his melon had been covered.

I know, I quite arguing about it.
I was in a wreck in ’95 that I’d have probably walked away from with a few scratches had I been wearing a helmet. Instead I was knocked cold when my head hit the ground so I hit and slid like a sack of potatoes. Road rash the equivalent of 3rd degree burns over 30% of my body and the doctor said he stopped counting at 60 stitches around my right eye.
I always wear a helmet now.

seclark
06-23-2009, 07:30 AM
I know, I quite arguing about it.
I was in a wreck in ’95 that I’d have probably walked away from with a few scratches had I been wearing a helmet. Instead I was knocked cold when my head hit the ground so I hit and slid like a sack of potatoes. Road rash the equivalent of 3rd degree burns over 30% of my body and the doctor said he stopped counting at 60 stitches around my right eye.
I always wear a helmet now.

no since arguing...people will do what the law allows them to do.
sec

Katipan
06-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Cool, a friends little brother has one of those. Nifty little bike.

Are you talking about downshifting without hopping the back tire?

I don't know what hopping the back tire means but it sounds really scary.

Radar Chief
06-23-2009, 07:43 AM
I don't know what hopping the back tire means but it sounds really scary.

Downshift too quickly and the back tire will lock up, sliding and hopping until the engine speed catches up with the wheel speed.
It can be scary, hard on transmissions too.
There’s a certain technique to down shifting and keeping engine RPM’s up but it doesn’t sound like you’re ready for those kinds of details yet.

Katipan
06-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Downshift too quickly and the back tire will lock up, sliding and hopping until the engine speed catches up with the wheel speed.
It can be scary, hard on transmissions too.
There’s a certain technique to down shifting and keeping engine RPM’s up but it doesn’t sound like you’re ready for those kinds of details yet.

I think some practical knowledge would have done me good. Instead of freaking out and reinacting the first time I took my training wheels off my bike.

Reerun_KC
06-23-2009, 07:47 AM

Some of them dont look tough period...

headsnap
06-23-2009, 07:56 AM

and you look like a dork with it off...

MOhillbilly
06-23-2009, 08:08 AM
ive riden without a helmet for years and show no side effects from the times my head has bounced off the blacktop.
now if youll excuse me i can get the toaster started for some reason.

Fire Me Boy!
06-23-2009, 08:09 AM
I'll likely be getting my first motorcycle within a month or two. While South Carolina doesn't require one, I will be wearing one. No doubt about it.

rockymtnchief
06-23-2009, 08:29 AM
I never wore one for quite a while (8-10 years). Then I rented "Havoc 6" and noticed that Gran Prix riders, no matter how slow they were going, hit their head EVERY time they wrecked. So, I figured if a professional rider on a closed track hit his head in every wreck, chances are pretty good that I'd smack mine on a road filled with cars. So I started wearing mine 90% of the time. The other 10% I'd have my helmet on my passenger or leave it behind to run to the store, 4 blocks away, on back streets.

Still, I like that I have the choice to wear it or not to wear it.

This thread reminded me of a story I must've read it in a cycle magazine somewhere. It took place on a highway with a helmet law. A biker was pulled over for no helmet. The officer walked up and noticed that the biker had a helmet strapped to his knee. The biker explained that he was, in fact, "wearing a helmet". He fought the ticket in court and won. The law was quickly re-worded to say that you must wear a helmet on your head. :)

wild1
06-23-2009, 08:31 AM
I think some practical knowledge would have done me good. Instead of freaking out and reinacting the first time I took my training wheels off my bike.

think about gear x RPM = speed . if you are shifting down and you don't want a severe disturbance in speed, you have to be somewhere in the RPM ballpark for the new gear. next time just let the rpm climb a little while you clutch and shift down. once you make a few smooth ones you will get the feel. you don't want to let the clutch out without any throttle.

i just recently started back after a long absence and it was strange to get used to today's bikes. they are so far ahead of the ones I grew up on, it's amazing. you can actually expect to go somewhere without them breaking down, they start every time, such modern conveniences :)

Old Dog
06-23-2009, 08:41 AM
It may sound stupid, but I just feel more comfortable without one. I KNOW it isn't smart, but I prefer to ride without it.

Katipan
06-23-2009, 08:57 AM
think about gear x RPM = speed . if you are shifting down and you don't want a severe disturbance in speed, you have to be somewhere in the RPM ballpark for the new gear. next time just let the rpm climb a little while you clutch and shift down. once you make a few smooth ones you will get the feel. you don't want to let the clutch out without any throttle.

i just recently started back after a long absence and it was strange to get used to today's bikes. they are so far ahead of the ones I grew up on, it's amazing. you can actually expect to go somewhere without them breaking down, they start every time, such modern conveniences :)

I can't FEEL when Im supposed to shift down. It's so much easier in a car. :(

headsnap
06-23-2009, 08:58 AM
It may sound stupid

it does!

wild1
06-23-2009, 09:02 AM

you can shift at whatever points you want. you just have to increase the rpm for the next lower gear before you engage it. if the gear goes down, RPM has to go up for the speed to be the same. you can tell by sound, or by vibration. or you can watch the tach. the only real rule is don't ride in the redline and don't let it get so low that the engine lugs. i would think that on that bike when it got down to 3,000 or so, it would be a good time to make a smooth shift.

Saulbadguy
06-23-2009, 09:05 AM

Easily the dumbest argument for not wearing a helmet.

Lzen
06-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Really though... I don't like full face or 3/4 face helmets because they seriously obstruct peripheral vision.

As for the half helmets... I have one (for riding in helmet required states) but would rather be in the wind regardless. I would rather die than leave my wife taking care of a vegetable version of me.

I don't get that. A vegetable? Isn't that what a helmet is supposed to prevent?

I have a half helmet and I always wear it.

Saulbadguy
06-23-2009, 09:08 AM

Helmets are highly effective in preventing brain injuries, which often require extensive treatment and may result in lifelong disability. In the event of a crash, unhelmeted motorcyclists are three times more likely than helmeted riders to suffer traumatic brain injuries.

*National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. 2007. Traffic safety facts, 2006: motorcycle helmet use laws. Washington, DC: US Department of Transportation.

Saulbadguy
06-23-2009, 09:08 AM
I don't get that. A vegetable? Isn't that what a helmet is supposed to prevent?

I have a half helmet and I always wear it.

Yea - for some reason some morons think that a helmet will automatically turn them in to a vegetable rather than prevent death. Not wearing a helmet, logically, will cause death, but prevent becoming a vegetable.

:spock:

Brock
06-23-2009, 09:10 AM
A half-helmet is nearly as useless as not wearing one at all.

wild1
06-23-2009, 09:10 AM
the peripheral vision argument is silly too. don't you feel the manufacturers took that into account? the one i wear every day is open more than far enough for mine. you ought to be turning your head, anyway, instead of relying on that or else you're asking for trouble.

Lzen
06-23-2009, 09:15 AM
A half-helmet is nearly as useless as not wearing one at all.

No, not a tiny one. This one covers my head. Just not my face.

Lzen
06-23-2009, 09:16 AM
the peripheral vision argument is silly too. don't you feel the manufacturers took that into account? the one i wear every day is open more than far enough for mine. you ought to be turning your head, anyway, instead of relying on that or else you're asking for trouble.

This

Frazod
06-23-2009, 09:18 AM
Helmets are like seatbelts. Sure you should wear one, and you know you should wear one, but if you choose not to, it's your business, not mine.

But if you wipe out, slide on your face for a hundred yards and have to spend the rest of your life looking like Henry Waxman, don't come bitching to me about it.

Saulbadguy
06-23-2009, 09:20 AM
Helmets are like seatbelts. Sure you should wear one, and you know you should wear one, but if you choose not to, it's your business, not mine.

But if you wipe out, slide on your face for a hundred yards and have to spend the rest of your life looking like Henry Waxman, don't come bitching to me about it.

...and then our tax dollars pay for your years of disability. Not to mention rising insurance costs, and the burden on your family.

Sorry, it affects more than just the person that makes the dumbass decision to not wear a seat belt.

mlyonsd
06-23-2009, 09:22 AM
If you have dependents and don't wear a helmet someone should take an iron bar and beat your bike into an unrideable pile of chit. Then light it on fire.

Just my .02.

Frazod
06-23-2009, 09:27 AM
...and then our tax dollars pay for your years of disability. Not to mention rising insurance costs, and the burden on your family.

Sorry, it affects more than just the person that makes the dumbass decision to not wear a seat belt.

True, but considering how much other stupid shit our tax dollars pay for, this is just a drop in the bucket.

Scorp
06-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Just my .02.

Which isn't even worth .01 :rolleyes:

Saulbadguy
06-23-2009, 09:29 AM
True, but considering how much other stupid shit our tax dollars pay for, this is just a drop in the bucket.

Good point. I suppose if people don't want to wear a seatbelt, it's natural selection. Those morons will just end up costing us more somehow in the long run.

headsnap
06-23-2009, 09:30 AM

I believe that at an accident scene the accident personnel should respond in this order: tend to the belted/helmeted persons first, then clean up the accident scene/get traffic running, and last before they leave they can check the pulse(s) of the idiot(s)s...

Lzen
06-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Long but interesting article on different helmet designs.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

Scorp
06-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Easily the dumbest argument for not wearing a helmet.

No, it isn't but that is you opinion. :clap:

Scorp
06-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Good point. I suppose if people don't want to wear a seatbelt, it's natural selection. Those morons will just end up costing us more somehow in the long run.

I have seen seatbelts sever arms and heads. Someone told you that wearing a seatbelt saves lives so you follow what you hear. Good sheep.

Saulbadguy
06-23-2009, 10:28 AM
I have seen seatbelts sever arms and heads. Someone told you that wearing a seatbelt saves lives so you follow what you hear. Good sheep.

ROFL

I'm betting i've seen seatbelts save more lives than you've seen sever arms and heads. I can also guarantee on a national level, it's not even close, that seatbelts definitely do more good than harm.

Are you a coroner, or a police officer? What line of work are you in that would let you see that sort of thing?

Saulbadguy
06-23-2009, 10:28 AM
No, it isn't but that is you opinion. :clap:

I suppose if you told me you don't wear a helmet because you don't want brain cancer, that would be dumber. Maybe.

Scorp
06-23-2009, 10:29 AM
I suppose if you told me you don't wear a helmet because you don't want brain cancer, that would be dumber. Maybe.

I am sure you think motorcycles should have seatbelts as well. LOL

Frazod
06-23-2009, 10:30 AM

I have a friend who would have died in a wreck had he been wearing his seatbelt - when his car rolled and the roof was crushed, because he got bounced into the back seat he lived. So yes, this happens.

But most of the time, you're far better off wearing a seatbelt. To imply otherwise is foolish.

Saulbadguy
06-23-2009, 10:31 AM

They wouldn't be too effective, based on the design.

Radar Chief
06-23-2009, 10:31 AM

You don’t have to just keep an eye on the tach, that’ll tell you when to shift up or down.
On a sport bike that’s why the tach is the biggest gauge, and why it’s placed right in the middle of the gauge cluster, it's your most important piece of information.

Saulbadguy
06-23-2009, 10:32 AM
But most of the time, you're far better off wearing a seatbelt. To imply otherwise is foolish.

Exactly. I'm sure there are anecdotes out there but that is what they are, anecdotes.

It's like people who are afraid to wear seatbelts because their car might catch on fire and then they'd be stuck. ROFL

Scorp
06-23-2009, 10:32 AM
I have a friend who would have died in a wreck had he been wearing his seatbelt - when his car rolled and the roof was crushed, because he got bounced into the back seat he lived. So yes, this happens.

All I am saying is sometimes not wearing one will save you.

Saulbadguy
06-23-2009, 10:34 AM

Very rarely.

I once spoke with a highway patrol officer about this very subject. Of his many years in the service, he's only had to unbuckle 2 dead people out of their safety belts. One was a decapitation. The countless other fatalities, not wearing their seatbelts.

Radar Chief
06-23-2009, 10:35 AM

There were three people in Derrick Thomas’ SUV when it rolled but only one was wearing a seat belt. Two of them died, guess which one walked away with only minor injuries.

Katipan
06-23-2009, 10:35 AM
You don’t have to just keep an eye on the tach, that’ll tell you when to shift up or down.
On a sport bike that’s why the tach is the biggest gauge, and why it’s placed right in the middle of the gauge cluster, it's your most important piece of information.

You are doing a very good job at making me feel dumb. :)

Frazod
06-23-2009, 10:36 AM

Hey, sometimes, if your number's up, your number's up.

But there's nothing wrong with taking a few precautions.

And no, I don't always wear my seatbelt. I don't automatically put it on as soon as I leave the garage, and probably half the time driving locally I don't bother wearing it (even though I know I should).

But I always put it on when I'm driving on the highway.

Radar Chief
06-23-2009, 10:37 AM

Don’t laugh, there have been politicians that introduced legislation like that. Same with air bags on motorcycles.

Katipan
06-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Same with air bags on motorcycles.

That's why you ride behind a fat dude.

Radar Chief
You are doing a very good job at making me feel dumb. :)

Sorry, not my intent.

Lzen

Studies prove that seat belts save lives. Same with helmets. Sure, there are always exceptions to the rules. But if you want to play the odds, there is no contest as to which option gives much better odds.

Brock
06-23-2009, 10:40 AM

Yeah, sure, .001 percent of the time.

Lzen
06-23-2009, 10:41 AM
That's why you ride behind a fat dude.

ROFL

ModSocks
06-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Don’t laugh, there have been politicians that introduced legislation like that. Same with air bags on motorcycles.

hearing things like that infuriates me. A bunch of automotive haters are what they are. Probably the same fucking people that drew up this goddamn cash for clunkers bill.

Lzen
06-23-2009, 11:00 AM
hearing things like that infuriates me. A bunch of automotive haters are what they are. Probably the same ****ing people that drew up this goddamn cash for clunkers bill.

Hearing that just made me laugh. I mean, what would be the point of a seat belt on a motorcycle? ROFL

alnorth
06-23-2009, 11:07 AM

and its an utterly retarded argument. For every one of these unlikely "an asteroid fell from the sky and killed my friend" seatbelt deaths, there are an incredibly high number of deaths that would have been prevented.

Scorp
06-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Listen stupid. It isn't a retarded argument if people live by not wearing the seatbelt. It is retarded to argue the point if not wearing a seatbelt has saved just 1 life. Don't be mad because you are not KING OF THE ARCADE.

Saulbadguy
06-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Listen stupid. It isn't a retarded argument if people live by not wearing the seatbelt. It is retarded to argue the point if not wearing a seatbelt has saved just 1 life. Don't be mad because you are not KING OF THE ARCADE.

People have died as a result from wearing a seatbelt, but there is very little proof to tell us if they would have survived if they were not wearing a seatbelt.

So yes, it is a retarded argument - not sure what you are trying to get at here.

alnorth
06-23-2009, 11:32 AM

It is a retarded argument, and I will without hesitation call anyone who actually believes that crap a fool. Saying seatbelts are more likely to kill you than not is about as smart as not immunizing kids or not having a fire extinguisher in a building because your afraid it might explode.

Is it possible? Sure, but your trading off an extremely unlikely event for a much higher mortality rate. To use a gambling analogy, its like never hitting above 11 in blackjack no matter what the dealer is showing because your afraid of a bust.

Scorp
06-23-2009, 11:33 AM
not sure what you are trying to get at here.

It has been documented that not wearing a seatbelt has in fact saved a life. I don't know about you but I value human life. People should have the choice to wear one or not without the sheep of America shaming the ones who don't.e

Scorp
06-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Is it possible? Sure

Thanks, I win. :D

Brock
06-23-2009, 11:36 AM
It has been documented that not wearing a seatbelt has in fact saved a life. I don't know about you but I value human life. People should have the choice to wear one or not without the sheep of America shaming the ones who don't.e

Sounds like some made-up bullshit to me.

Scorp
06-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Sounds like some made-up bullshit to me.

It is very true. Look it up. :clap:

Radar Chief
Hearing that just made me laugh. I mean, what would be the point of a seat belt on a motorcycle? ROFL

Feel good legislation by people that don’t know WTF they’re doing and don’t care because it generally won’t impact them.

Brock

You're making an assertion, you go look it up.

alnorth
06-23-2009, 11:38 AM

and someone who stands on 12 when the dealer is showing 10 could win when the dealer flips up a 6 and pulls another 10. He is still a retard for not hitting.

Seatbelts are like that, except the risk is far less likely.

Saulbadguy
06-23-2009, 11:38 AM

Do you wear a seatbelt?

alnorth
06-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks, I win. :D

It is also possible that an asteroid could crash through the roof of your car and kill you. Are you going to get an asteroid-impact-resistant roof?

Scorp
06-23-2009, 11:40 AM
Do you wear a seatbelt?

Only if I know I am not going to die that day. :thumb:

Scorp
06-23-2009, 11:41 AM
You're making an assertion, you go look it up.

I already have and have found more than one documented case. Oh MY! :eek:

Scorp
06-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Wouldn't you rather be thrown through the windshield of your car to safety than trapped in a rolling vehicle? And after you are thrown through the windshield, how can you jump out of the way of your rolling car if you're all tangled in a seatbelt?

As much as one tenth of one percent of auto accidents involve sudden fire or plunging into water. If everyone in the United States takes part in an annual auto accident, that's 23,000 people who run the risk of being trapped and fatally killed by a seatbelt each year!

Even the statistics of the pro-seatbelt Automotive Coalition for Restraint of Freedom proves the case of their opposition. The Coalition says that seatbelts cut the risk of serious or fatal injury by 40% to 55%, but even if this number is believed, it means that seatbelts are potentially deadly in the remaining 60% to 45% of cases!

Brock
06-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Wouldn't you rather be thrown through the windshield of your car to safety than trapped in a rolling vehicle? And after you are thrown through the windshield, how can you jump out of the way of your rolling car if you're all tangled in a seatbelt?!

I see, you think you're going to be jumping out of the way of your car after your head has been smashed on your way through the windshield. I honestly doubt you've ever been in a car accident.

Scorp
06-23-2009, 11:59 AM
I see, you think you're going to be jumping out of the way of your car after your head has been smashed on your way through the windshield. I honestly doubt you've ever been in a car accident.

You need a sense of humor.......it is over there------------->

Radar Chief
06-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Wouldn't you rather be thrown through the windshield of your car to safety than trapped in a rolling vehicle?

Thrown through the windshield? Safety glass, we’re talking layers of glass and laminate specifically meant to keep the inside things from going out and visa versa, that’s just got “bad plan” written all over it.

JOhn
06-23-2009, 12:14 PM

Having worked as a Paramedic for 13+ years, I can in fact tell you of instances were not wearing a seat belt has saved someones life. And I can tell you instances were wearing the belt has killed people, but by far most many more are saved by wearing them.

You can always find exceptions to the rule

Saulbadguy
06-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Wouldn't you rather be thrown through the windshield of your car to safety than trapped in a rolling vehicle? And after you are thrown through the windshield, how can you jump out of the way of your rolling car if you're all tangled in a seatbelt?

As much as one tenth of one percent of auto accidents involve sudden fire or plunging into water. If everyone in the United States takes part in an annual auto accident, that's 23,000 people who run the risk of being trapped and fatally killed by a seatbelt each year!

Even the statistics of the pro-seatbelt Automotive Coalition for Restraint of Freedom proves the case of their opposition. The Coalition says that seatbelts cut the risk of serious or fatal injury by 40% to 55%, but even if this number is believed, it means that seatbelts are potentially deadly in the remaining 60% to 45% of cases!

Jesus fucking christ you are dense.

Scorp
06-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Jesus ****ing christ you are dense.

I prefer the word buoyant.

Scorp
06-23-2009, 12:31 PM
I promise to wear a helmet while driving my car and not wearing my seat belt, and wearing a seat belt but not wearing a helmet while driving my harley. That should settle you liberal hippies down.

Radar Chief
06-23-2009, 12:45 PM
I promise to wear a helmet while driving my car and not wearing my seat belt, and wearing a seat belt but not wearing a helmet while driving my harley. That should settle you liberal hippies down.

:Peace:

ROFL

BigRichard
06-23-2009, 12:50 PM
I know that seat belts save lives and so do helmets but I chose not to wear my helmet whenever possible because that is what I choose. I am sure if they did a study it would show that if you wrap yourself in bubble wrap all day everyday that you would have less risk of being injured throughout the day but I won't do that either. If other people want to live their lives wrapped in bubble wrap go ahead. Just don't force me to do it.

Saulbadguy
06-23-2009, 12:54 PM
I know that seat belts save lives and so do helmets but I chose not to wear my helmet whenever possible because that is what I choose. I am sure if they did a study it would show that if you wrap yourself in bubble wrap all day everyday that you would have less risk of being injured throughout the day but I won't do that either. If other people want to live their lives wrapped in bubble wrap go ahead. Just don't force me to do it.

Yeah, I see your point, because those two things are totally the same.

:rolleyes:

Scorp
06-23-2009, 12:56 PM
Well the helmet didn't work in this case, he should of had his seat belt on.
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/300/ouchq.jpg

Radar Chief
06-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Everything should be made of Nerf.

BigRichard
06-23-2009, 12:58 PM

How is it different?

BigRichard
06-23-2009, 12:59 PM

You probably should wear a panty liner as well to stop the blood from dripping down your leg and causing you to slip on the floor.

BigRichard
06-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Everything should be made of Nerf.

I agree. So we can complete the pussification of America.

Radar Chief
06-23-2009, 01:04 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GD5XK3gDaLE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GD5XK3gDaLE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Saulbadguy
06-23-2009, 01:05 PM
How is it different?

Because I wear a seat belt roughly 30 minutes of my day would equate for my desire to be wrapped in bubble wrap all day so I do not get hurt.

Makes perfect sense. ROFL

BigRichard
06-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Because I wear a seat belt roughly 30 minutes of my day would equate for my desire to be wrapped in bubble wrap all day so I do not get hurt.

Makes perfect sense. ROFL

You prove my point. Wouldn't you be pissed if they made it a law that you had to wear bubble wrap all day? It is something that could save your life but you don't want to fucking wear. Your life is much happier without it correct? I don't say I don't want to wear a helmet because I want to say fuck you to "the man". I don't wear it because I like riding without a helmet. I never bought my motorcycle for safety reasons.

Just Passin' By
06-23-2009, 01:14 PM

Ben Franklin warned us about this sort of crap, albeit on a larger scale, and we've been ignoring his words for a long time.