PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Dear Zachary: A letter to a son about his father

Duck Dog
06-23-2009, 07:26 AM
This documentary started as a letter to boy by a man who was best friends with his murdered father. The documentary started as a way for this film maker to document the custody struggles, how his fathers friends thought of him, what his grand parents went through and the court system in Canada.

This critic may have said it best.

"One of the best documentaries I have ever seen in my entire life... a film that will rock you to your core. You will cry. You will hurt – and this film will sit with you for days, weeks, months. But you will come away believing in people. Believing that even where there is evil, there is also a tremendous amount of good." - Erik Davis, Cinematical.com

I find myself today, thinking of nothing else. My throat is sore from the constant welling of emotion.

Lzen
06-23-2009, 07:35 AM
Ok, you talked me into it. I just added this movie to my Netflix queue.

irishjayhawk
06-23-2009, 08:12 AM
I was pumped to see this long ago when it aired on MSNBC, but had to DVR it. Alas, it sat on the DVR for a long while. Still haven't sat down to watch it.

blaise
06-23-2009, 08:45 AM
I read about this a while back, but I can't decide if I want to watch it because from what I've read it's so draining emotionally. Like, I want to watch it but I don't.

jidar
06-23-2009, 09:15 AM
This is on Netflix streaming. Watching it now. It's pretty good

update: finished it, I enjoyed it and recommend it.

Duck Dog
06-23-2009, 10:48 AM
www.dearzachary.com is the official website if you are more interested in reading about the story. Keep in mind there are spoilers on that site.

CoMoChief
06-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Men shouldn't ever cry at movies..........period

The Franchise
06-23-2009, 11:04 AM

GFY douche.

CoMoChief
06-23-2009, 11:06 AM
GFY douche.

Sorry, didn't know you're such a huge pussy.

The Franchise
06-23-2009, 11:08 AM

It's alright....I already knew how much of a fucking douchebag you are. You show it in every thread that you reply in.

CoMoChief
06-23-2009, 11:24 AM
It's alright....I already knew how much of a ****ing douchebag you are. You show it in every thread that you reply in.

I dont cry at movies like a little fucking girl. Congrats to you.

The Franchise
06-23-2009, 11:39 AM
I dont cry at movies like a little fucking girl. Congrats to you.

:rolleyes:

Buck
06-23-2009, 11:39 AM
So, it started out as a documentary on one thing, and then the father got murdered?

The Franchise
06-23-2009, 11:43 AM
So, it started out as a documentary on one thing, and then the father got murdered?

No...it started out as a documentary about the father that got murdered and then once the director found out that the murderer had his son....it became a documentary for the son to get to know his father.

blaise
06-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I heard people were crying at the end of Land of the Lost when they realized they spent money to see it.

Buck
06-23-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm still not getting it.

Here help me out.

Man A murders Man B

Is the son the son of Man A or Man B

Or are there two different sons?

blaise
06-23-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm still not getting it.

Here help me out.

Man A murders Man B

Is the son the son of Man A or Man B

Or are there two different sons?

Man A didn't murder Man B. Man A makes the doc to honor his friend, Man B, but while doing so comes to realize he knows who did it. The kid is Man B's kid.
That's how I understand it, without giving too much away.

Buck
06-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Oh so its almost a sleuth story?

The Franchise
06-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Man A is murdered by Man A's girlfriend.

Documentary is created to honor Man A.

Director finds out that Man A's murderer is having his child.

Director sets out to create documentary about murder and also to show Man A's child what kind of man Man A really was.

Duck Dog
06-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Man A is murdered by Man A's girlfriend.

Documentary is created to honor Man A.

Director finds out that Man A's murderer is having his child.

Director sets out to create documentary about murder and also to show Man A's child what kind of man Man A really was.

Right. But with some heart wrenching twists.

Duck Dog
06-23-2009, 12:17 PM
Oh so its almost a sleuth story?

No. It is very clear from the beginning that the man was murdered by his psycho ex-girlfriend. She flees prosecution to Newfoundland. While she is there it is discovered that she is pregnant with the her now dead boyfriends baby. So his parents journey there to fight for his custody. The ensuing battle and conclusion are spoilers.

RaiderH8r
06-23-2009, 12:50 PM

I cried when Ol Yeller died and I guaran-god damned-tee I have a tougher time dropping a Taco Bell turd than I would dropping you.

Lzen
06-23-2009, 02:21 PM

You apparently know nothing of what it is to be a man. :shake:

Amnorix
06-23-2009, 02:54 PM
I cried when Ol Yeller died and I guaran-god damned-tee I have a tougher time dropping a Taco Bell turd than I would dropping you.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

Sully
06-23-2009, 02:58 PM
To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.

irishjayhawk
06-23-2009, 03:05 PM

Yeah, man, only pussies like Kaun can cry.

:rolleyes:

The Franchise
06-23-2009, 03:08 PM
I just watched the movie on Netflix. And all I have to say is HOLY SHIT. You've gotta be fucking kidding me. Fuck that bitch.

Demonpenz
06-24-2009, 10:11 PM
It didn't really rock me, it just made me say fuck that bitch

SLAG
07-09-2009, 09:04 PM
This movie just kicked my ass.. Really and seriously
Damn.... How did that bitch ever become a doctor....

Braincase
07-10-2009, 07:38 AM

You obviously know nothing about being a man. Keeping your emotions bottled up inside will kill a man, and you can't take care of your wife and kids if you're dead.

I cried when my kids were born, I cried when my dog died, and if I can relate to a character's pain in a movie, I might cry then, too.

Perhaps your inability to cry during a movie is due to the fact you haven't experienced any shit, and you've just been coasting through life, like some little Shirley Temple dancer high on methadone.

Get out of your mom's basement and get a life. Life includes every emotion in the book, and you should embrace them. Some men are afraid to cry in movies, and that's just a different type of coward. A real man is never afraid to feel.

CoMoChief
07-10-2009, 08:29 AM

I love internet tough guys

Frazod
07-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Hi boys and girls, the word for today is "sociopath."

Do you know any sociopaths?

I'll bet you do.

RaiderH8r
07-10-2009, 08:57 AM
I love internet tough guys

I'm not an internet tough guy. I'm a real world tough guy who eats rocks and shits gunpowder. I'm pretty sure you're an internet tough guy who wets the bed and cries himself to sleep at night on his huge pillow during a thunderstorm.

Baby Lee
07-10-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm not an internet tough guy. I'm a real world tough guy who eats rocks and shits gunpowder. I'm pretty sure you're an internet tough guy who wets the bed and cries himself to sleep at night on his huge pillow during a thunderstorm.

Those aren't pillows!!

Pitt Gorilla
07-10-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm not an internet tough guy. I'm a real world tough guy who eats rocks and shits gunpowder. I'm pretty sure you're an internet tough guy who wets the bed and cries himself to sleep at night on his huge pillow during a thunderstorm.http://msp95.photobucket.com/albums/l124/knotty_turtle/headmove.jpg

Baby Lee
07-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Sphairicul, but quite pointeh een pahts

On a very tangential note, Anthony LaPaglia is so thin in that movie [or IWO he's so fat now] that over the years I'd convinced myself it was li'l bro Jonathan who'd co-starred with Meyers. Looking at IMDB, I learned for the first time he was the first choice for and turned down the role of Tony Soprano.

RaiderH8r
07-10-2009, 01:50 PM
http://msp95.photobucket.com/albums/l124/knotty_turtle/headmove.jpg

Stuart Mackenzie: Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.
Tony Giardino: So who's in this Pentavirate?
Stuart Mackenzie: The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettys, The Rothschilds, *and* Colonel Sanders before he went tits up. Oh, I hated the Colonel with is wee *beady* eyes, and that smug look on his face. "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"
Charlie Mackenzie: Dad, how can you hate "The Colonel"?
Stuart Mackenzie: Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, smartass!

CoMoChief
07-13-2009, 08:52 AM

Yes you are

RaiderH8r
07-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Yes you are

What is the appropriate rebuttal? I'm rubber you're glue...?

Pablo
05-24-2010, 12:13 AM
I don't think I've ever had a movie/documentary move me to tears. Holy hell. I'm drained after watching this. Fantastic, heart wrenching piece of work.

|Zach|
05-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Caught this last summer. It was absolutely crushing. Pretty much ruined my whole day.

Pablo
05-24-2010, 01:09 AM
Caught this last summer. It was absolutely crushing. Pretty much ruined my whole day.

The story has me all ****ed up. I don't know if I'll be able to sleep. I went into it blind, just a suggestion in my Netflix queue. It 's crushing in one way but uplifting in another. Really makes you take a hard look atthe very best and the very worst humankind has to offer.

listopencil
05-25-2010, 09:35 PM
A real man is never afraid to feel.

Awesome post.

SLAG
05-25-2010, 09:50 PM
Awesome post.

I was trying to suggest this movie to a friend of mine...
we were a little drunk... and I started getting super Angry.. and Crying.. and Yelling and it was crazy..

ALL The emotion came back and I had not seen the film in months.

Words can not describe

KcMizzou
05-25-2010, 10:03 PM
I've known about this movie for a long time, but I've been a little hesitant to see it. It doesn't sound like a whole hell of a lot of fun.

irishjayhawk
05-25-2010, 10:20 PM
I've known about this movie for a long time, but I've been a little hesitant to see it. It doesn't sound like a whole hell of a lot of fun.

Yeah, I think I even posted a trailer her about it a long, long time ago. But I still haven't gotten around to see it.

listopencil
05-25-2010, 10:41 PM
I was trying to suggest this movie to a friend of mine...
we were a little drunk... and I started getting super Angry.. and Crying.. and Yelling and it was crazy..

ALL The emotion came back and I had not seen the film in months.

Words can not describe

Yeah. I don't think I can watch it from the descriptions here.

Pablo
05-25-2010, 11:13 PM

FWIW, it gave me a movement of raw emotion I haven't had in probably close to a year. I'm glad I watched it; even if was incredibly difficult.

Huffmeister
05-26-2010, 08:46 AM
FWIW, it gave me a movement of raw emotion I haven't had in probably close to a year. I'm glad I watched it; even if was incredibly difficult.

Me too. One of the most difficult things I've ever watched, and I choked up at least three times. But in the end it's just one of the "human experiences" that I'm glad I had.

RaiderH8r
05-27-2010, 08:49 AM
Me too. One of the most difficult things I've ever watched, and I choked up at least three times. But in the end it's just one of the "human experiences" that I'm glad I had.

I watched it last night. Choked up? I f'ing lost my shit for about half an hour. It's still kicking my soul. It just hurt.

Huffmeister
05-27-2010, 10:56 AM
I watched it last night. Choked up? I f'ing lost my shit for about half an hour. It's still kicking my soul. It just hurt.

I guess I'm just more of a macho man than you :p

Seriously though, do you have kids? I don't, but I'd imagine that it would effect a parent much more than someone without kids.

RaiderH8r
05-27-2010, 11:00 AM
I guess I'm just more of a macho man than you :p

Seriously though, do you have kids? I don't, but I'd imagine that it would effect a parent much more than someone without kids.

I do, a two year old. And yes, it made a tremendous difference. I really don't want to be "THAT" parent guy "oooh my baby changed my life" but...frankly it did. My world view is vastly different than it was before he was born in ways I could only have speculated and others I could have never imagined. I hate being that guy.

And screw you. :p I said it before and I'll say it again, I cried when Ol' Yeller died and I can guarantee you that I am all that is man. I got a yard of dick, a bucket of balls, and enough hair on my ass to weave an indian (feather not dot) blanket. I'm 300 lbs of solid steel sex appeal. My pecker's so manly the hole weighs 4 lbs.

Dayze
05-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Stuart Mackenzie: Well, it's a well known fact, Sonny Jim, that there's a secret society of the five wealthiest people in the world, known as The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world, including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually at a secret country mansion in Colorado, known as The Meadows.
Tony Giardino: So who's in this Pentavirate?
Stuart Mackenzie: The Queen, The Vatican, The Gettys, The Rothschilds, *and* Colonel Sanders before he went tits up. Oh, I hated the Colonel with is wee *beady* eyes, and that smug look on his face. "Oh, you're gonna buy my chicken! Ohhhhh!"
Charlie Mackenzie: Dad, how can you hate "The Colonel"?
Stuart Mackenzie: Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, smartass!

ROFL

loved that scene/s.
"he'll just cry himself to sleep on his huge pillow"

Huffmeister
05-27-2010, 11:06 AM
And screw you. :p I said it before and I'll say it again, I cried when Ol' Yeller died and I can guarantee you that I am all that is man. I got a yard of dick, a bucket of balls, and enough hair on my ass to weave an indian (feather not dot) blanket. I'm 300 lbs of solid steel sex appeal. My pecker's so manly the hole weighs 4 lbs.
:clap:

CoMoChief
05-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Still LMAO at the pussies in this thread who cry during movies.

That's what chicks do.

listopencil
05-27-2010, 10:33 PM

That's what chicks do.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pjlw4Edt-e8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pjlw4Edt-e8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Phobia
05-27-2010, 11:24 PM

That's what chicks do.

Well, I've been through a war, a divorce which rated a 9.0 on the richter scale, a stillborn daughter, watched relatives die of cancer, and I guarantee you I cry during movies which tug at at your emotions just right. I'm pretty sure I'm not a pussy. I've met you and played football with you. You're a pretty good athlete and seemed like a decent guy in person. But you come off like a first class prick online. If that's what you're going for, you're good at it. But if you're actually a piece of crap, I hope life improves your character.

Baby Lee
05-28-2010, 08:26 AM
ROFL

loved that scene/s.
"he'll just cry himself to sleep on his huge pillah"
FYP to reinsert the part that makes it sublime.

RaiderH8r
05-28-2010, 08:46 AM

That's what chicks do.

And I'd still drop you faster than a Taco Bell turd.

Huffmeister
05-28-2010, 09:35 AM

That's what chicks do.

If you watch this movie, and are not at least on the verge of tears at some point, then I really pity you. I really do. It must really suck to float through life and not be able to enjoy the full spectrum of human emotions. It'd be like going your whole life and not being able to see red, or blue, or purple.

vailpass
05-28-2010, 09:47 AM
If you watch this movie, and are not at least on the verge of tears at some point, then I really pity you. I really do. It must really suck to float through life and not be able to enjoy the full spectrum of human emotions. It'd be like going your whole life and not being able to see red, or blue, or purple.

Drama queen much?

Huffmeister
05-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Drama queen much?

Lol, no :D This documentary just really IS that powerful.

patteeu
05-28-2010, 11:18 AM
I really don't remember getting choked up when I watched this although it's certainly a sad story. I got it from netflix after seeing a few positive comments here at ChiefsPlanet and I do remember my kids crying a little bit and my wife turning to me when it was over to ask me why I had us all sit s
down to watch such a depressing movie without warning her. I honestly had no idea what to expect other than what people here had called a really good movie. She thought I was an idiot, lol.

vailpass
05-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Lol, no :D This documentary just really IS that powerful.

:thumb:

CoMoChief
05-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Well, I've been through a war, a divorce which rated a 9.0 on the richter scale, a stillborn daughter, watched relatives die of cancer, and I guarantee you I cry during movies which tug at at your emotions just right. I'm pretty sure I'm not a pussy. I've met you and played football with you. You're a pretty good athlete and seemed like a decent guy in person. But you come off like a first class prick online. If that's what you're going for, you're good at it. But if you're actually a piece of crap, I hope life improves your character.

I like to live the double world.

crispystl
05-29-2010, 03:25 PM
To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. Number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special.

Jimmy V

crispystl
05-29-2010, 03:39 PM

Post more

Buck
01-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Finally watched this today, I fully raged when Zachary died and I was on the verge of crying when Kurt said that the film wasn't for Zachary anymore, but rather Kate and David (the parents).

What a powerful documentary.

RIP Andrew and Zachary

patteeu
01-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Finally watched this today, I fully raged when Zachary died and I was on the verge of crying when Kurt said that the film wasn't for Zachary anymore, but rather Kate and David (the parents).

What a powerful documentary.

RIP Andrew and Zachary

Big time spoilers. I haven't read this thread in a long time, so maybe the cat is already out of the bag. :shrug:

Buck
01-05-2011, 04:32 PM
You really think I should put these in spoilers? Ok.

patteeu
01-05-2011, 04:48 PM
You really think I should put these in spoilers? Ok.

I'm not trying to be the spoiler police. I just remember that that was a pretty major development that would have made the movie less impactful if I'd have known it in advance.

Buck
01-05-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm not trying to be the spoiler police. I just remember that that was a pretty major development that would have made the movie less impactful if I'd have known it in advance.

Yeah most definitely. I am a stickler for spoilers too, but usually only for unaired stuff on TV. I actually just read every post in this thread and I was the first one to mention it so I guess its right for spoilers, even though the film is almost 3 years old.

Otter
02-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Just watched this, wow, absolutely brutal. Exposes every emotion like a raw nerve. Don't watch it with someone you're not really comfortable around. At least I wouldn't.

Going to try and follow up on this story for no other reason I want to know if that judge who let her out on bail is still practicing and how the grandparents and doing.

Just fucking wow

Otter
02-29-2012, 09:49 PM

I cried like a bitch.

Pushead2
03-01-2012, 01:14 AM
I cried like a bitch.

me too when I first saw it. Such a moving story. I get goosebumps just thinking about that documentary.

Jenson71
03-01-2012, 08:14 AM

This is a good post.

Otter
03-01-2012, 09:37 AM
That documentary is still with me. The day I can't empathize with those grandparents or that situation stick a fork in me. I admit, I was a blubbering mess, I have emotions. Try and hurt someone I love and those blubbering emotions turn sour real ****ing quick. My pee hole weighs 3 pounds (where did I here that before). King ****ing Kong ain't got shit on me!

Yes, I'm just throwing testosterone around.

That was powerful. I both hate and loved I watched that but will never again.

RaiderH8r
03-01-2012, 09:53 AM
That documentary is still with me. The day I can't empathize with those grandparents or that situation stick a fork in me. I admit, I was a blubbering mess, I have emotions. Try and hurt someone I love and those blubbering emotions turn sour real ****ing quick. My pee hole weighs 3 pounds (where did I here that before). King ****ing Kong ain't got shit on me!

Yes, I'm just throwing testosterone around.

That was powerful. I both hate and loved I watched that but will never again.

My dick's so big the hole weighs 4 lbs.
I've got a yard of dick, a ten lb bag of balls and enough hair on my ass to weave an Indian blanket.
I AM Rock Thundercock. TM

vailpass
03-01-2012, 11:07 AM
My dick's so big the hole weighs 4 lbs.
I've got a yard of dick, a ten lb bag of balls and enough hair on my ass to weave an Indian blanket.
I AM Rock Thundercock. TM

LMAO

I cried reading your post.

Wallcrawler
03-01-2012, 02:09 PM
Judge Welsh, who determined that there was no psychological disorder that would require Shirley Turner's detention on behalf of the safety of the public needs to be dragged screaming into the street, shot five times and drowned in a bucket of freezing water before she can bleed out.

How that c*nt still sits on a bench is f*cking beyond my comprehension.

Saulbadguy
03-01-2012, 08:12 PM
I watched it tonight. That was an unfortunate series of events. God bless American bureaucracy and red tape.